Reviews of Hotel Derek 4 stars

2525 West Loop South, Houston, TX 77027, USA

#200 of 408 hotels in Houston

• Reviewed: 16 October 2018

Good location if you'd like to be near the mall and really nice restaurants
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

I expected more, I was quoted one price but when I arrived to the room I was charge an additional $100. I don't think I'll be going back. my selfies were nice but It was not all that Id thought it would be. The location at 5 pm is horrible.

The room size was nice and the bed was soft, I do like the fact the room had a microwave and fridge. It was in a good location especially from shopping

• Reviewed: 13 October 2018

The bar/restaurant is very friendly and accommodating.
    • Standard King Suite with Balcony

I booked a balcony room. What a waste of money! The balcony overlooks an ugly parking garage. Their is no furniture on the balcony so no place to even sit. There really is no reason anyone should pay extra at this hotel for a balcony room. Also, the elevator in the parking garage did not work but they still insisted on charging $25 a day to self park. Totally ridiculous. The parking garage is never full. In exchange for having to wait for someone to pick you up on a golf cart, blowing your air to pieces (not great for the hair style) you would think they would offer free parking.

The bar/restaurant is very friendly and accommodating.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2018

Phone did not work for 24 hours.
    • Standard King Room

Phone did not work for 24 hours. Shuttle service was good the first couple of days. Then on the 4thnight I waited 1.5 hours to be picked up at a restaurant.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

Cheesy club-like hotel with a bad attitude.
    • Superior King Room

I'm not sure what's going on here but this place needs new management. First, the elevator in the parking garage was out meaning I had to lug luggage around and wait for a guy driving a golf cart to take me back and forth from my vehicle. Twice I was almost thrown off the back because there was no seatbelt on the back and the driver was driving like he was in a competition at a go-kart racing kiddy park. But they still charged $25 per night to park despite having 50+ open parking spots. The real problem though was the head bartender at the "club/restaurant". I came in around 10pm after attending a football game and coming back to relax and get some food before going to bed. I sat at the bar and was greeted with a terse, "Are you going to be eating or just drinking?" To which I tried to reply, "A little of both..." but she had already walked off. When she came back, she started to make a drink in front of me so I thought I would pick back up & let her know I'd be needing a menu. She glared directly at me like I was insulting her, ignored me completely and walked off again. She then walked past 3 or 4 times without ever acknowledging again that I was there. At that point I go up and left to go sit at another side-bar where the young lady bartending took great care of me and had a manger come talk to me. Unfortunately, by that time I was livid. If it hadn't been late and I didn't need to get up in the morning, I would've left and gone elsewhere. I truly felt like I was unwanted there and that something visible (because she didn't really speak to me) about me made me unwelcome. I got 1 drink + nachos =$42 The pics on the website don't really give the feel of this hotel. It seems very cliche and superficial if that makes sense. Lots of neon lights, bold colors, and animal print wallpaper.

The location is great.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

We would not recommend Hotel Derek when visiting Houston - save some money and stay somewhere else.
    • King Room - High Floor

Hotel Derek felt run-down. The experience was certainly not worth the price. The staff, the common areas, the room, and the overall experience left us feeling underwhelmed.

Hotel Derek is within walking distance of a bunch of place - The Galleria, restaurants, etc.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

the wifi was good.
    • Standard King Room

the service was bad. I asked to change room because the people in the room next tome were very noisy. They said they will switch my room but eventually they forgot my request. In addition they took 15$ each day just for the wifi,pool and shuttle but the shuttle will go just for 3 miles and the pool is a corner and you can't swim in it

the wifi was good.There are a lot of light sources in the room. The room was clean and didn't smell

• Reviewed: 4 October 2018

Great place to go for a special occasion
    • Standard King Room

It was very relaxing but the light with off and the fire alarm went off to but all it was a great place

It was a very nice place for our anniversary and close the Steak 48 for dinner. And to come there and to relax after better.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

Everything was Nice besides the garage situation
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

The elevator in the parking garage was broken which me and my family had to walk from the 8th to the main floor, each time we left we had to go up and down the stairs.

The staff was real friendly and helpful. The hotel was clean and comfy and the rooms are cozy.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

Nothing but the facilities
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Much: unfriendly staff, bad management, ill-treating to Asian guests, weird payment processing, bad treatment to the child, etc.

Nothing but the facilities

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

Good location.
    • Standard King Room

The elevator in the parking garage was broken so the price for valet was the same price as self-parking. However, the staff failed to tell us this until we self-parked our car and carried all of our baggage down several flights of stairs. (Parking is expensive regardless, minimum $25/night). My husband tried to use the iron in our room and there was something stuck on the bottom of it. And the fire alarm went off one morning that we were there. Overall not at all impressed. Will not stay here again.

Good location.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2018

Personnel does not care about customer satisfaction.
    • Superior King Room

Personnel does not care about customer satisfaction. I had a problem with the booking. A wrong date and a wrong price was charged on my account and personnel did not care and refused to refund the cost of one whole night! No way.... I used to visit this hotel 3 times a year, I will not go back there

• Reviewed: 27 September 2018

The rooms overall look was nice.
    • Standard King Room

We had trouble in our first room with the shower. We were expecting it to be very over the top. Beds werent so comfy.

The rooms overall look was nice. Nice carpets and big windows. Nice snack and drink choices on rooms. Everyone was really nice.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Beautiful decor
    • Standard King Room - Disability Access

Everything was over priced, very expensive to park on property,they do a 100 dollar incidental hold, the continental breakfast “buffet” was 22 dollars! Very expensive stay, the ambiance was nice, but they charge for everything!

Beautiful decor

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

The staff was nice.
    • Standard King Room - Disability Access

Our room door did not close when my husband exited the room and I was in the shower so when I got out of the shower I saw the door opened and it startled me. Also the water in the shower did not turn off and maintenance had to be called to the room to fix the plumbing issue. The maintenance man came quickly however it took him over an hour to fix the problem which caused us to be late to an event. Overall I wasn't impressed with the room and the decor was very dated, the desk and end tables were not neatly put into the carpet which was torn and raggedy looking. I heard good things about Hotel Derek but I was not impressed.

The staff was nice.

Would not stay here again, the room was modern however it...
    • Superior King Room

Would not stay here again, the room was modern however it was not up to the standers of other like hotels. The price for parking was ridiculous, and the room was stuffy and warm during the daytime. The bed was uncomfortable and they staff was not so friendly, the view was the only redeeming quality in my opinion.

Awesome Stay
    • Standard King Room

That we couldn't stay longer. On the real the elevator for the parking are was getting serviced alot which meant I had to walk alot

The staff was truly awesome so kind and helpful. The room was beautiful the view was great

great hotel. bad location.
    • Standard King Room

not close to anything but the Galleria. if you are a tourist don't come here. you must travel 30 min to do anything but shop. no yours nearby or any attractions... nothing to do but eat and shop

great hotel. great people. staff were good. just terrible location.

Awesome!
    • Standard King Room

Cheaper Parking needed and more deals for guests thats about it

Was a really fun property. Great bar and really funky hotel! Close to Galleria and not too far from centre of city. Was $12 in an uber to Minute Maid Park. Really enjoyed staying there

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Great concept needs better execution.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Hotel is on the corner of I-10 and Westheimer. Though close to the Galleria and other shops it was difficult to turn into from the main road. it's easier to take the block and then try to pull up front. So much construction in the area! Pool was extremely small. Great look to it but they do a flix by the pool movie night that packs the small area allowing for no other guests to relax and enjoy it. Starbucks within the hotel isn't even a Starbucks. Very limited options for coffee and pastries. Beds state queen. More like a full size. The couches in the rooms are decorative and a nice touch but a better bed situation would be appreciated. There are also a lot of extra fees. I understand Hotel Derek is a Destination Hotel... But there isn't much around it other than the Galleria and being on Westheimer. Parking is also $25 dollars overnight (self park per night) carpool to assist with the cost.

Boutique style was great. Booked rooms for a bachelorette weekend and they all enjoyed the decor. Shuttle bus takes you anywhere within 3 miles of the hotel (tip only) Valeta were attentive and quick.

Good location and affordable cost
    • Standard King Suite with Balcony

Early check out compare to other hotels i.e. 11 a.m The room mattress and furniture is normal, and housekeeping to be improved

Good location and affordable cost

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

Terrible choice
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Housekeeping, they didn't clean my room, even after telling to the front desk it wasn't done, they didn't sent anybody to clean it. Too much noise of the A/C and from the outside. And the free shuttle service was very rude both days we took it, they didn't know the zone they are suppose to drive to

Only the location

Overall, the hotel was nice and the perfect location for me.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Well I wasn't aware of the $25 per day self parking or the $100 per day deposit so that made me upset. You do get the $100 per day back quickly if you use your credit card. But that's besides the point because if I'm already paying to stay what's the extra money for?? And coming from out of town and paying $25-$35 per day to park on their property, not cool to me.

Overall, the hotel was nice and the perfect location for me. Minor little fixes could be done but it's cute there!

It is has a nice funky style.

I didn’t like the $500 security deposit over and above the hotel fees. Even if it is returned, I have to wait 5 days after the end of the trip for thé bank to release it! The pool was tiny! The Resto food was expensive for the value..perhaps normal for hotel. I was difficult to make a modification to my booking. The hotel told me to do it through booking.com and I got the run around to get customer service. I waited 30 minutes on a customer service call to England..which will be expensive on my cell! I tried to do it on line but I did not get a response on time, so I was told I would be charged. This was a lot of stress for nothing. Anyway in the end someone finally helped me makes the changes but I think booking.com can be better at customer service and it would be nice if I would have been able to call the hotel to modify. The area around the Hotel was a scarey place to walk...8 lane highway!! Run for your life! The lights don’t seem to be working!

It is has a nice funky style. Great bathrobes, nice fitness area, comfortable beds and rooms. The Resto staff were very friendly and lovely.

The kitchen and bar
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Staff wasn't the friendliest, my nephews went to the pool and left after 20 minutes they did not feel comfortable after seeing 2 woman making out in the pool. $25 to self park was ridiculous!

The kitchen and bar

EXCELLENT
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

"Self parking" ridiculously expensive, so I decided to valet my entire stay. Difference in cost maybe $9. But on the upside, to valet is worth it! $50 Resort Fee Charge...

Staff wonderful, EXCELLENT location, food at the hotel resturant DELICIOUS, it's EVIDENT other guest are enjoying their stay, the overall ambiance, and definitely the (tranquil) pool area! I can go on and on !!! They have absolutely earned their 4 Diamond Rating!! I have loved this hotel for many years, I will CONTINUE to return.

The team
    • Standard King Room

We discovered the hotel taxe 15€ on our invoice ...... The parking price cost is prohibitive 39€...my advice park your car in front of the hotel close to the shop

The team The bedroom The pool

Great location if you are doing activities in downtown/galleria area.
    • Standard King Room

I have stayed in the past and this was my second stay. It was a great stay for the prices. No frills, but great staff. It is a beautiful location for weddings. We just happen to go on a super busy weekend and some confusion with parking made the stay, not the best.

Great staff, room was on the 15 ft floor.
    • King Room - High Floor

I'm a Genius member, and they never responded to me about checking out 2 hrs late .

Great staff, room was on the 15 ft floor. Beautiful view at night.

Great location and friendly staff but don’t believe the room rate.
    • Superior King Room

The stated room rate was misleading. Another 35% was added, with the various taxes and service charge. Parking was inconvenient and with their suggested valet service, was another $40 a night.

The location was great and the staff were polite and friendly.

Perfect location for exploring Houston, beautiful hotel.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Parking and breakfast were a bit pricey, pool looks bigger on the photos than it was in reality

Perfect location for exploring Houston, beautiful hotel. Breakfast was delicious. Particularly Alma from the breakfast crew did an amazing job...so caring!

Good clean and spacious room
    • Standard King Room

Called housekeeping but never showed up. Charged the security deposit on my card without informing me where as i wanted to pay by cash

Good clean and spacious room

Good
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Inside the tub was chipped. And you should not have to pay for parking if you paid for a room.

The room was nice but needs to be updated. Especially the blackout window! It should have a button to press instead of having to turn it yourself.

It was a pleasant and peaceful stay.
    • Standard King Room

The $100 per night security fee I had to pay because, according to them, I did not book directly through the hotel’s site but through booking.com.

The ambience

Location, room size, facilities, and friendly staff.
    • Superior King Room

Location, room size, facilities, and friendly staff. Rooms were very clean and well appointed. We only stayed one night and we were a bit wary of some reviews but we were very impressed. They do take a $100 charge up front but this was all explained when you first make the booking so it wasn't a surprise to us. The bar is lovely and Tarsha makes some fantastic cocktails! We will definitely go back again.

Excellent staff ,very high maintenance facility which is...
    • Superior King Room

Excellent staff ,very high maintenance facility which is what I was going for because it was my birthday I didn’t want just your regular everyday hotel and they didn’t disappoint.

Loved the cleanliness as well as the view that we had.
    • Standard King Room

Parking was the only thing that was a negative, too pricey but still was convenient at least.

Loved the cleanliness as well as the view that we had. The room was very comfortable and loved the atmosphere.

they could try a bit harder (maintenance-wise) for the prices they charge...
    • Standard King Room

old plumbing, a/c which is not fully responsive how can i turn this a/c little lower....?

Parking very comfortable great location very friendly and helpful staff

all in all it was good hotel for the price and location.
    • Superior King Room

The parking situation...long time to get your car down from Valet. The room could have been cleaner. and we are pretty sure a shirt went missing with no recourse. we had screaming loud neighbor at 11pm at night...took 20 minutes to get the front desk to answer and security sent up and not much was done.

The location and the price are amazing. nice pool and really nice bathrooms.

We love the location and price of this hotel.
    • Superior King Room

We love the location and price of this hotel. The facilities are nice and we stay here a couple times a year. My only suggestion is that it may be time to buy new mattresses and pillows. They were flatter and a bit harder than in the past. Other than that, all was great!

The customer service was good and helpful.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our toilet was broken upon arrival, the elevator was broken from the parking lot to the hotel, staircase was disgusting yo go through. Received random charges from my stay.

The customer service was good and helpful.

If they didn't have hidden fees I'd do it again, READ THE FINE PRINT
    • Standard King Room - Disability Access

The hidden fees "Front desk service" $15 seriously??? I mean someone has to be there to assist and i feel that should not be a fee charged to me as i am already paying for the room. Its like if you go to a resturant and you pay the chef to cook and the waiter to wait on you plus your meal. That's ridiculous. I had already reserved and paid for the room, so I couldn't cancel because I would lose my money, but had I known about the front desk fee I would not have booked. I didn't read about the parking so I didn't know, I understand thats my fault however I feel that should have been mentioned when I called to confirm my reservation. We had 2 cars. $54 for parking because they charge "tax"

Its a really nice hotel

Problem with parking that's it
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Got locked into the parking elevator for a few minutes.

Everything else. The bar staff was lovely. The coffee guys was very polite. The staff was extremely punctual and knowledgeable about the area for best places for night life.

Garage elevators didn't work.
    • King Room - High Floor

Garage elevators didn't work. We were running late for the morning and staff did not allow us to do a late checkout. We had to be out by 11:15 am. The valet was expensive $25 and that's with a discount for the garage elevators not working. Room 1512 had the AC that was as loud as sleeping in a train station.

Underwhelmed and won’t stay again due to bad mattresses and small pool.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The mattresses must be very cheap beacuse you can feel every spring; The robes had makeup products left on them from previous guest and were not clean; and The pool was incredibly small and overcrowded.

The decor is lovely and the hotel is in a prime location.

Beautiful.
    • King Room - High Floor

Other than than the elevator in the parking garage not working late one night, I have no complaint

Beautiful. Very clean. The staff was so helpful with all that was needed from them.

Not much to do except shop and eat
    • Standard King Room

The staff were not helpful. We went to Houston thinking we would go to NASA. However the hotel seemed to think that a lot to do is shopping and restaurants. Not much else was within easy reach. You nerd a cat when staying in Houston

It had great art around the premises

Didn’t get what I paid for and it made my stay there subpar
    • King Room - High Floor

They started off my bad experience with the fact that they swiped my card 5 times bc they said it wasn’t going through on there end. I showed them they deducted the money 5 different times but they only saw once. So I have to wait until it finishes processing which takes a few days. It really took away from my trip and made me feel like these hotel rep is incompetent. I reserved a room with a balcony on the booking.com. I get there they say there wasn’t anymore available but I told them that I paid extra to get a room with a balcony. I asked if there would be one available tomorrow and they claimed they would let me know. I didn’t hear back from them until I happened to be leaving out at around 5pm to sightsee. I felt that if I wouldn’t have fame down that I would’ve never been told that it wasn’t any available rooms with a balcony. I just don’t feel like the staff cared or tried to accommodate me in anyway.

The accessibility to shopping and Nightlife

Overall positive but when i complained about the shower i was promised it would be fixed, it wasnt
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

complained about the bathroom as shower didn't work properly but it wasn't fixed. Fire alarm went off at 5 am on Thursday 10th May 2018 and it was chaos in the hotel. There was no one around to advise on next steps and I had to leave without checking out, however, I did speak with a night porter and let him know that the hotel could send me the bill.

great location great food and service

Not everything working!
    • Standard King Room

We were sent to the wrong room and had to move. Pool was closed. Ice machine was not working. Confusion with valet parking ( elevator not working).

Cleanliness and friendliness

Clean, comfortable, and really great staff!
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The light next to the bed didn't work, so I had to get out of bed every time I wanted to turn the lights on, or off. I got to the hotel relatively late and went to have dinner before settling in for the night, so I wasn't interested in complaining and having to wait for them to fix it, so I just got up and down. I was a little disappointed in the bathrobes--they had obviously been laundered many times and were scratchy vs soft. Minor thing up against all the things that were really good.

The responsiveness of the staff was the best I've ever experienced. I always put in the notes of the reservation that I cannot use down/feather comforters, or pillows, because I am allergic, but none of the other hotels I have every stayed at were responsive to that request--I would always have to call housekeeping after arrival, to have them change the bedding. This hotel was ready for me. They told me that had it was taken care of when I checked in, without me even asking. Also, the wait staff in the restaurant were friendly and attentive.

Bar was amazing as were the great staff.
    • The Day Dream Suite

The balcony floor was hard concrete and could do with a lino or something laying down so feet don’t get dusty but that’s me being really fussy to find 1 fault

Bar was amazing as were the great staff. Also the pool was a nice touch and views from the 9th floor were pretty cool!

- Location, though still is a good ten min walk to the mall...
    • Standard King Suite with Balcony

- Slowest check in and check out I ever experienced. Having reception staff attend to you and give you their complete attention is not automatic. Reception was also unable to produce back up for one of the dinner invoices. - Expensive valet and self parking. - No attention to detail when it comes to cleanliness. - Despite the $15 dollar service charge, cleaning the room is not something that happens even if you leave the hotel for over 8 hours. - Expensive on site restaurant with inconsistent service and the slowest service I experienced. Twice had to wait 40 min for eggs in the morning when the place was not even full at 7 am. Salad came out after a 30 min wait. Was charged $5 for a small glass of OJ even though the day before it it was free and the day before that I got a big glass. Haite, Mike and the smiling woman at the breakfast service were cool though. - Was charged mini bar charges which I protested since I avoided using anything from their expensive selection. After one receptionist took out the mini bar charges, the other charged me for it at the time of check out and said that they would refund the amount after they complete their “investigation.” - For all of the above, i paid over $400 a night. At least I had shelter.

- Location, though still is a good ten min walk to the mall or a $6 Uber ride away. - Looks fancy, but looks can be deceiving. - Safe area, although late one night I was approached by a homeless man looking for cigarettes and food with no hotel security or staff on site.

Love the location and views from the room.
    • King Room - High Floor

Pool area could be more inviting and the parking sucks unless you opt in for valet. Which is more expensive than its worth.

Love the location and views from the room.

It’s unlikely I will stay again, due to the choice in the area
    • Standard King Suite with Balcony

Rooms were a little tired. The Room I had, had a balcony but looked into the car park, so I had to close my curtains for privacy. I think it’s really mean to charge for bottled water also

Staff were friendly and courteous

Great Wifi, very friendly staff.
    • Superior King Room

There's music playing in the hallways and elevators, I guess to give the hotel a hyper vibe - it didn't really work for me. There were a lot of tacked on costs - 15USD per day, and 25USD for parking in a city where there's a lot of parking space, which I felt was a bit over the top, and made the stay more expensive.

Great Wifi, very friendly staff. I was there for a business trip, and was able to comfortably work from the hotel. Location is easily accessible, in a quiet neighborhood. All in all a good experience for me.

Thought the stay was great, the only thing that was sub par was the restaurant.
    • Standard King Room - Disability Access

The service at the restaurant was very slow, the food was cold, and the server was not attentive. When I first got there, it took them 10 minutes to acknowledge I was there then took an additional 15 minutes to take my order.

Expected more I guess
    • Standard King Suite with Balcony

No USB plugs anywhere in the room. Showervalve constantly leaked hot water creating water droplets on the bathroom ceiling. Rooms are due for an upgrade.

Terrible service.
    • Superior King Room

Terrible service. One hour to get a drink, they forget the wake up call even though they called you once you were asleep to check on the exact time of the wake up call (get confused between 5.10 and.. 6.20!). Very noisy overall. At the pool and in the room you can hear the traffic non stop.

Presented as boutique and really was a business hotel. Priced ok for business.
    • Superior King Room

What generous perks? there was a Hotel Derek $15 per night service fee for wi fi etc Poor house keeping . Management did give some compensation when we discussed failure of housekeeping. Manager did take personal action.

Jovanna is a rockstar employee and should be promoted!
    • Standard King Room

Jovanna is a rockstar employee and should be promoted! They’re fortunate to have such a upbeat classy savvy top notch professional. Hope they recognize that and her! David in Revolve the restaurant was awesome as well! I didn’t have cash to tip him so hoping his manager will do so with a day off or raise ;)

Fun, close to the city.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

It would have been better if they had told us that there is a $100/per day extra deposit, it will be released after you check out, but if you were traveling here on a budget then you would be out of luck.

The hotel was chic. i

modern look and location.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

dirty, bathroom door for room 1105 very dirty, tub curtain is very overusead in the bottom yellow to nrown color, bathtub has hair, sink was cleed with something hairy like shaved hair, fitted sheet has stains on the bed near the bathroom not the bed near the window..Finally no tall mirror to check my look before leaving only half way 2 mirrors, base of the chair and the raiboard seems like not dusted for months. If I wasnot extremely tired I will left even though u will charge me. too overpriced for dirty room. i will never recomend this hotel fir a Friend. I completely forgot ti take pic for all the dirty stuff I mention, I was ginna do ot wjen I woke up.

modern look and location.

Won’t be back.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - High Floor

It was dirty. When we checked into our non smoking room, it smelled like smoke, then found ashes on floor in bathroom, upon further inspection the floor and bathroom counter were dirty along with carpet.Called front desk was told housekeeping would be right up,we left, 5 hours later we returned and room was still dirty! Called back to front desk and they again sent housekeeping. Cleaned bathroom but didn’t bring vacuum. Parking should not be extra at hotel, should be free for PAYING GUESTS!

The hotel was very nice but my mood was ruined after valet wrecked my car!
    • Superior King Room

The valet drivers were very young & driving very wreckless in their small valet area! I’ll never valet anywhere again bc of this stay after they wrecked my car!!!!

The city view room & comfortable beds!

Jovanna at the front desk was amazing.
    • Superior King Room

Room service breakfast needs major improvement

Jovanna at the front desk was amazing. Excellent customer service. She took really good care of us. She made my birthday weekend special.

I enjoyed my stay
    • The Freedom Suite

i initially booked the freedom suite but was told the day before that i was booked in a different suite which i had a confirmation for but was informed that there wasnt anything that could be done but cancel and cancellation fee be waived. i was really upset about it because it was my birthday and i had really liked the suite i booked initially, o Overall, i was ok

the view was awesome from the balcony and the bed and comfort of the suite was wonderful.

This hotel has awesome & accommodating staff and a great location if you love shopping.
    • Superior King Room

The bed being harder than I like. The walls are paper thin. Saturday night there was a few drunk individuals fighting in the hallway and room next to us from 11 until about 1:30 Sunday morning. I tried not to listen to, but I found it quite entertaining.

The bed was a little harder than I like, but I did get some sleep so it wasn't that bad. The room service and staff were awesome. My birthday surprise was great! I love Sprinkles cupcakes!

It was amazing!
    • King Room - High Floor

SO many different taxes on my bill upon check out....but to be expected I guess...

The entire ambiance at the hotel as well as my suite was immaculate! The beds are comfortable, extremely clean, staff & restaurant were awesome! Will definitely stay there again!!

Indubitably nice
    • Standard King Room

This is one of the best hotels I’ve stayed in that’s in the United States. It made me feel as if I was still in Dubai. Great place to stay and I’ll be back.

Basically a motel 6 covered in fancy wrapping paper.
    • Standard King Room

The hotel felt like a motel 6 covered in “pretty” wrapping paper. There was mold in our room. The ac stopped working. Dust was so thick. Front desk didn’t answer our 3 calls to try to get the ac fixed. The entire floor was humid and even moist.

The staff was very kind and welcoming. The bed was pretty comfy.

Dirty room, not cleaned, I had tape hanging from the wall,...
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Dirty room, not cleaned, I had tape hanging from the wall, brown water/sand came out of the shower faucet, everything was very outdated and not kept clean or new.

No complaints
    • Standard King Room - Disability Access

Wish there was a jacuzzi and working heat lamps for the employees and guest at valet. Parking fees for guest.

The room is comfortable, and all the amenities

Amazing!!! Oh, loved the Texan themed robe in the room. I should’ve bought one as I miss it now.
    • Standard King Room - Disability Access

Housecleaning never replenished my powdered crepe for coffee in the morning!

Loved the walking distance to the BEST shopping! Great Starbucks station in the bar! Perfect view from my window to watch the lunar eclipse from 5:30-6:25 AM!!!!

It is a nice hotel but I’m not spending my money on those type of services.
    • Standard King Suite with Balcony

Not enough personnel at the front desk or at vallet. Calling front desk isn’t a guarantee you will get an answer. Hidden taxes are annoying like you have to pay for vallet and self parking.

I like the bed. The breakfast was good. Customer service was good but the need more people at the front desk.

A nice property, good location, needs updating
    • Standard King Room

Over years of staying at the Derek, I see the rooms need renovation: messed up bathroom fixtures, bathtub stains, carpet stains, etc. I haven't stopped staying there, though.

Having stayed at the Derek many times, it's a fun place to stay if you don't mind being next to The Loop. Downtown facing side of the hotel is preferable.

Browse Hotel Derek traveller photo gallery