Reviews of Holiday Inn Newark Airport 4 stars

450 US Route 1 & 9 South, Newark, NJ 07114, USA

#5 of 18 hotels in Newark

This choice is the one to make! The beds are new, comfortable, and the rooms are large and very clean. The hotel was tastefully remodeled a few years back. The dining area is beautiful and food is great. We highly recommend this as a traveler who appreciates a quiet place to rest.

The lock on my room door was defective and would not lock securely except with the the internal double lock. The property seemed small and off the beaten path.

It was clean and quiet and close to the airport and had a free shuttle to the airport. That is all I needed because I was returning from a trip abroad and waiting to continue on to the the west coast for the final leg of my return trip. If I had planned to spend a longer time in this hotel, I don't think it would have fulfilled my needs.

Could not shut off aircon which was loud and forceful. Standing ankle deep in shower water is not a pleasant experience (my pet hate), the design of the tap system makes this worse. You can’t turn the shower pressure down and maintain water temperature. Being told on arrival that a bond will be placed on your credit card made me feel like I wasn’t trusted. This was the final hotel in six weeks of travel in Europe and the US and the first hotel to do it.

Huge and comfortable bed, plenty of room, great layout, shuttle service was awesome.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

No hot water in room. Had to wait for hot water in lobby because it wasn't set up.

Very comfortable. Much more than I expected. Would use again. Clean.

Dirty place

Place is dirty, found a blood stain on bed sheets, then a manager wrote me an email, I replied and she never wrote back again, it seems she didn't care about my complain

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The front could have been a little more organized when checking in other that great stay .

I did have a slight problem when checking out as a mistake was made booking checking in . I would just like to say the GM totally came down and sorted out situation that same day . So nice a professional!

• King Room with Hearing Mobility Accessible Tub - Non-Smoking

On booking it mentions it’s super close to the airport whereas actually it’s a 10 mins drive. I thought I just literally could cross the road. Not true. You have to drive.

That after a long flight and arriving late at night I could crash close to the airport. The next morning I had a long drive ahead of me. The room was spacious but really nothing special. It served the purpose. It had a big bed. Full stop.

• Standard Room

It would've been nice to have the hotel shuttle number when arrived.

We were traveling back & needed a one night stay to refresh & connect to our next flight home. Pleasantly surprised at the services & cleanliness of the hotel.

First can the cleaning staff understand that some want to sleep in. Talking down the hall and walkie talkie up so loud it woke me up. I was exhausted the next day. Second can you buy tolitet seats that stay in place when you sit on them.

Check in was great room fantastic bed very comfortable.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The air conditioner was so loud in the room I couldn’t sleep unless I turn it off. The beds were not as comfortable as you would expect

It is very close to the airport

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I was hoping to take the shuttle to the airport but when I arrived I was told the driver does not drop off at the door to my airline - I did not want to be dragging a bag around at 4:30am

Great bed!

Knowledge of when and where breakfast was.

Bed was amazing. Loved and appreciated the fact that I had a couch in my room in addition to the bed. I also appreciated the two night/reading lightsm on both sides of the bed.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Keep charging me for miscellaneous And there weren’t any they took money out of my bank account three times

Keep charging my bank for And there weren’t any they took money out of my bank account three times

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

If you plan on being near anything besides the airport, it is not convenient. We tried to take a morning walk and it is dangerous with the freeway and there’s no sidewalk or path. The biggest irritation was the breakfast. Unless you have another mode of transportation you have to eat at the hotel, there is nothing you can walk to. They very much take advantage of this and seriously price gouge. Cheapest menu item was pancakes for $12.95. We ended up getting the breakfast buffet which was mediocre at the very best, and cost $17.95. They also charged automatic gratuity. On a buffet. They filled my water once. And the food was not good, the selection was poor.

Room was spacious, shuttle was fast and easy, beds were really nice, close to the airport, we were there just for a layover so it was convenient.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

It’s an industrial area so restaurants nearby are non-existent. I was not prepared to try the hotel restaurant but GrunHub came thriough just fine.

It had been a long time since I stayed at a Holiday Inn so I was prepared for mediocrity or worse. But I needed a hotel for one night near Newark Airport at an affordable price. I was pleasantly surprised. The shuttle was waiting for me at the airport pickup area without me having to call. The driver and front desk clerk were both friendly and helpful. My room was comfortable. The bed was great with what appeared to be new linen. Plenty of pillows. The airport was within sight and busy Highway 1 outside yet the room was quiet. Good job Holiday Inn, I hope all your properties are similar. I’ll be more likely to stay based on this experience.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Price on the buffet, but they were very attentive and breakfast had very good taste.

Staff at the front desk when I first arrived wasn't too pleasant, but overall I had no issues.

The restaurant is very expensive.

The room was very well appointed, large, clean, and very comfortable. The bathroom was modern, and spacious. The hotel is a short van ride from the terminal, and there is a constant 24/7 shuttle service to get you to and from the airport. While the hotel is close by and modern, these are amenities you do pay for. The on-site restaurant, for example, had a very expensive menu.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The room had a strong smell of cleaning products as did the sheets on 1 of our beds. It was awful and I couldnt sleep and it bothered my daughter. Hotel has a sign for quiet hours of 10pm-8am, but someone was vacuuming the hallway infront of our door at 740am. Incredibly rude!

Service was good in the restaurant

Difficult to say. A bit expensive.

The hotel is situated next to Newark airport and it is very easy to get there with the hotels shuttle bus. Rooms were very clean and comfortable. Ibalso liked the food at the restaurant.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Most of the things. Very bad food at the bar. Untrained staff. expensive food and drinks. Imagine the menu at the bar had no prices for many liquers offered. Guy at the bar could charge what ever he wanted. I was charged US$ 17 for Jack daniel and I had no clue. This was like almost a five star hotel which obviously Holiday inn is not. Worst thing the guy at the bar was not even trained and had no clue about how to make a drink. He made my Jack Daniel in a very small kind of white wine glass and this was with coke and ice. Terrible experience.

Nothing except shuttle service to the airport which was frequent

• King Room with Hearing Mobility Accessible Tub - Non-Smoking

Very clean, extra comfortable and very spacious! Staff was friendly and professional. Would have liked to have stayed longer but was only on a layover.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

We were hungry, but didn't want to call an Uber or taxi to head to a restaurant, so we "settled" for the one in the hotel, thinking it would be mediocre at best. We were pleasantly surprised at how good the food was! Generous portions, and really tasty, as well as a nice menu selection. The staff was very nice too. The location was very close to the airport, which was important to us, as we were just staying the night on our route to Portugal.

• King Suite - Non-Smoking

We were introduced to strong restaurant lights, once last call, and the kitchen closed. Too sobering a gesture, for hungry travelers. The room service menu is a little sparse for me. The per person charge for the buffet, was slightly higher than the price posted.

Chose the King suite this trip, and loved the necessary wifi, and availability of a lobby printer for the boarding passes; welcomed the plugs for both USB, and other cords. The mattress and sheets were better than most resorts we stayed at. More TV channels to choose from. Keurigs were a welcome sight in the morning. We had snacks, due to a late night arrival, and took advantage of the bar, as well as the breakfast buffet. Gratuity is included, so it's wise to review the charges. Took advantage of the late checkout, since our flight got delayed.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The drink prices are high. It would be nice to have some type of convenience store with food items for sale such as fruit, muffins, yogurt and pre made sandwiches.

Very clean. The beds were very comfortable. The staff were very friendly. The entrance and parking lot is well lit , and there is security outside.

A clean and stylish hotel, very close to Newark Airport. The staff was great, the restaurant had very good food, and the airport shuttle was very convenient.

Air con was too loud in room. Hotel did not get back to us with a query on how to get to hotel.. we paid $30 for a taxi for1km only to find that there was a free shuttle bus ...

The bed was very comfortable.

Driver on shuttle to airport took out my bag at wrong stop, and we had to drive around to retrieve it, which fortunately was still sitting on the walkway outside the terminal.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

On demand shuttle takes a long time to arrve - other hotels seemed to offer a much more frequent service. Had to queue up to check in because staff were on a shift change/ Internet didnt work and staff reaction was patronising and inadequate

Beds very comfotable and good location

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The bed was comfortable and the WiFi was fast and reliable. The hotel restaurant had a good salad bar, made a great angus beef burger, and had a nice selection of wines by the glass. I appreciated the free luggage storage to make the most of my 24-hour layover in the New York City area. By storing my bags at the hotel and taking the free shuttle to Newark Airport's P4 parking garage, I was able to get on the Air Train and go straight to the Newark Airport train station to catch a $13.00 NJ Transit train into New York Penn Station, and did the same at the end of my day in Manhattan to return to get my bags and get back to the airport to catch my evening flight. The staff was very friendly and provided me a WiFi access key to work from the lobby for a few hours since I could only check in 4 hours before my flight.

As a Gold Elite Holiday Inn member, I did not get any points by booking through B.C. B.C rates quoted should reflect the true cost of the booking, including Taxes, as it is most misleading when the expected price to pay differs considerably!

Shuttle to the airport Air train was very efficient

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Staff is horrible. Security was rude. Front desk staff was rude and unpleasant. Worst holiday in i have ever stayed at, i will think twice about booking with any holiday inn ever again.

Rooms were clean.

• Standard Room

Shockingly after telling the front desk the wife and coffee maker did not work, I received no response. When I told the supervisor, all she asked is if I received a new coffee maker , all I wanted to hear was I am sorry. It is true you get what you pay for. I normally stay at Hilton and Sheraton, but bc of a storm they were booked. Holiday Inn, horrible

I waited a half hour plus and had to make three calls to get the shuttle from the airport. On arriving at the hotel, I asked at the front desk if the dining room was still open. The clerk said yes, until midnight. It was 11:30 pm when I sat down. The staff said it was closed. Only carry out. Bad show!

The room was. comfortable. the facility is close to the airport

All was good.

One of the cleanest properties we stay in. So convenient to Newark airport and the shuttle runs on a regular basis to get you to the airport. Staff is great. Nice little lounge with food.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Nice-looking lobby, quick check-in and check-out, 5-minute drive from the airport, comfortable room. Just what you need when you arrive late and tired.

As soon as I got there, the cleaning staff knocked once on my door and then opened my door as I was changing clothes

The staff was a stellar bunch of customer service personnel!!!!

• Standard Room

There was a slight smell of smoking in the room despite the fact that it was non-smoking. I did not like the fact that if you didn't choose the $17 buffet breakfast, other choices for single dishes (eggs etc) were a minimum of around $14 without the coffee. This was too heavily engineered to make you buy the buffet. There was a choice of low quality industrial pastries. Also the dinner in the same restaurant was a bit rough. This shouldn't overshadow the excellent buffet breakfast, BUT it is unacceptable to not offer a good croissant and a coffee as an alternative.

room was excellent, quite spacious with a bath tub and the cleanliness looked fine. The buffet breakfast was excellent with crispy bacon (my favourite), nice juice and fruits, oats and yogurt. There was free parking on site and the distance from the nearest town (Newark) was about 10-15min drive.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Everything was fine. I was only there for 6 hours and it met my needs--quiet, clean place to sleep. Since I didn't have my suitcase, they gave me a toothbrush, toothpaste and deodorant at the desk. The shuttle driver was extremely friendly and helpful.

• Standard Room

Piola at front desk gave the best customer service from all people I talked to, very patient, polite, and professional. I messed up booking my room online and he helped tremendously. Thanks so much Piola! Rooms were clean and beds were comfy! Shuttle service was also clean & efficient.

We could not sleep well due to noise. Our room was next to one of a couple that argued, yelled and slammed doors all night long.

Everything was really good! The room, the property and the service. A great option to stay before taking flights from Newark

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Lobby was very clean and well lit. Parking was very convenient. Literally across the street from the airport. Only took about five minutes to drive there. The toilet/ shower was separate from the sink. That way one of us could still get ready while the other showered. We did not eat at the restaurant in the lobby, but it smelled great.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The property is old, you can hear the airport train passing by constantly. Food was over priced, the house keepers were very loud on the hallways no respect for the guests. Front desk not friendly.

Close to the airport

• Standard Room

they should at least offer their guests complimentary continental breakfast. AT LEAST!

While the hotel itself met all expectations, the food while delicious was expensive.

The walls are not totally sound-proof, so we were disturbed by the TV from neighboring rooms, and other guests talking in the hallway.

Quick transfer to and from Newark airport

What I did not appreciate was the fact that the hotel could not find the reservation at the time of checking in after a very, very long international flight.

It is not clear on the booking website where to meet the airport shuttle. It would have been helpful if that is listed because it would have meant that I would not have needed to call the property.

• King Suite - Non-Smoking

Stayed 1 night from airport, got on very late from flight. The room was very nice. It had a living room and bedroom with king bed. very comfortable

• Standard Room

There was no microwave or fridge with this room. Most hotels I have been to have at least a fridge. It was also uncertain where I could find water to make tea and coffee as I was told that water in the NJ and NY areas were iffy. The toilet was efficient but very loud and terrifying when flushing

The beds and sheets were comfortable and easy to sleep in. There was a desk i could sit at and eat my meal and a nice mirror to pick out my clothes. I found the location of the sink outside the bathroom very convenient. Very nice to see a Keurig.

I was overcharged. Even with booking confirmation# for 2 rooms, we only got 1 room and had to pay 1 room with double rate again. Tried to write booking.com. However, not settled yet. Seems nobody care. Considering if it's worth to use booking.com for future.

Some noise from the AirTrain passing. No fridge in the room, but that wasn't a big issue.

Very close to the airport and with a free shuttle made it convenient for a lay over. Room was large, clean and very comfortable.

Dedicated hotel shuttle goes 24 hours and is only a 10-12" ride. Used for a layover and it is nice that the bar and restaurant were open to midnight for late arrivals as all restaurants had already closed at airport. Room layout similar to newer Marriott rooms and very well thought out with movable workstations (if needed), corner sofa, desk and plenty of closet space and discrete lighting for those who read in bed and don't want to disturb their partner. Coffee maker. Plenty of towels and good water pressure. Very friendly and efficient desk staff.

It took a significant amount of time to be picked up by the airport shuttle. We had to call twice. At check in, the senior person was more interested in telling the junior staff how to file a report instead of checking us in. We were the only guests checking in at 2:30am. Service at the restaurant was appalling. Customer service was lacking in all areas.

The room was clean and comfortable.

• Standard Room

The staff was rude and they charged 43. Dollars for breakfast like who does that, don’t stay here. The kitchen staff comes and brings you foods but be careful the African lady is rude and she acts like she don’t remember nothing. And the manager didn’t do nothing and was rude at times, why does these people work here

It was clean

I was charged twice for this room. Once by you and once by the hotel. This is NOT good. I will not use Booking . com again because of this.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

It would of been nice to have a microwave or small refrigerator in the room.

The bed was firm and very comfortable. Lovely hotel,and I would recommend to anyone. Will definitely stay there again.

The sound on the TV didn’t work, and when I called the front desk, they said they would send their maintenance man right up. He never came.

The bed was comfortable.

• Standard Room

TV was not working properly, after a while the sound would just go off by itself. There were still some hairpin on the carpet from previous guest. Very expensive room service and the food was not that great! I ordered a turkey sandwich with sweet potato fries but the fries were already cold and mushy when they delivered.

Close to the airport and spacious room, very big and comfortable bed.

Shuttle at the airport never came so I ended up taking a cab for $25. At the desk they said I should’ve called to request a shuttle to pick me up from the terminal.

It has a restaurant on site open until late.

• Standard Room

Food while being expensive it's quality is very so so as well as restaurant service, the hotel feels outdated needs some renovation. Overall this hotel is kind of expensive for what it offers compared to other airport hotels I've stayed in the U.S.

well located, front desk staff was very nice, room was clean

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Had to call twice for the shuttle. Night Manager was very rude. Temperature was in the 20's. Plane came in at 12:15. First contacted the hotel at @ 12:35AM. TOOK ABOUT 20 rings before an answer. Finally - after I called again I got to hotel via hotel shuttle @ 1:30AM. According to Kevin - the Night Manager this was my fault. This guy did not know how to say "I am sorry and hope the rest of your stay with us is comfortable". Because he consistently told me "all was my fault". Also there is nothing in writing explaining that $125.00 for incidentals charge that is temporally added to my card (apparently comes off if no need in a few days). When I went to sign my statement my room rate was $285. with no explanation fromKevin until I asked him. He kept pointing to this policy on the wall. I really became stubborn and angry. I am a 75 year old woman and he called Security (a Newark policeman) on me. Thankfully the policeman was a nice guy so I eventually made it to my room. Kevin needs help and should not be in charge at any time. His Superviser, the Front Office Manager, was lovely when I explained the situation to her the next morning. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable but I will never stay at the Holiday Inn Newark again.

The sink and shower room are separated? It must just new to me. The front desk employee took her awhile to smile when we checked in at 4am. I guess I had to understand she must be tired. The table lamp did not work, breakfast price online did not match in actual

That there is a gym, midnight to 6am free coffee/tea, restaurant, food was good, bar and pleasant bartender, coffee maker in the room

Cleaning staff woke me up at 8.30 and I was jet lagged, it’s an airport hotel and checkout wasn’t til noon...why not wait?

Great fresh food at the restsurant

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Nothing close by, within walking distance.

Very nice staff. Convenient location, nice clean room. Shuttle to airport to connect to the city. Thanks Juan!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I don’t like being charged an extra fee,in advance, by the hotel. And the HI can be kind of stingy with soap, shampoo, and towels.

I liked the room. Spacious, comfortable, and quiet.

I found that it was easy access from the main highway customer service was very informal and they have very good manners and I would go back to this hotel again

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The rude staff and high restaurant prices and high room service fees.

The staff puts a hold of $125 upon arrival. I told them it was excessive and that it should have been listed. They said it was Booking.com fault for not listing it.

The address of the hotel does not seem to be "valid" as far as Mapquest and my GPS goes. When I called, I was given vague directions. Perhaps landmarks (go past the Marriott, etc) or number of miles off exit 14 would have been more helpful. I had to stop and ask at another hotel to be sure I was on the right track. Also, Kevin was a bit grumpy when I checked out in the morning.

Checkin was pleasant. My room was clean and as expected. Blackout blinds were great. Proximity to Newark Airport was good.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Lousy front desk staff when I checked in - obviously 'just doing his job' and 'going through the motions'. He had no interest in helping guests - he just wanted to process and 'get rid' of the guest as quickly as possible. Check-out lady was efficient and helpful

Location closed to Newark airport with superb transportation to the airport. 24 shuttle to airport was great. Room and beds were great. On site restaurant was also great

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Staff could have been friendlier. Not everyone adhered to the no smoking rule - those in the room next to us were smoking something strong and the whole corridor stank!!! Very slow service in restaurant!!

Quick check in and easy to arrange airport transfer at 4am when we checked out! Great size room!!

Didn’t like the smell of cigarettes in he room. Although the room was non smoking you can still smell the cigarettes.

How clean the room was specially the bathroom.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The front desk staff gave me poor advice regarding my shuttle trip to the airport for my trip out of Newark. When I checked in I asked, "how much time should I allow to make it to the airport for a 6 AM flight tomorrow morning?" The clerk told me- "don't worry, we have free 24 hour shuttle service so come down about 4:30 and you will be fine." I came down at 4:25 to checkout and the clerk said, "the shuttle just left for the airport but will be back in about 15 minutes." The shuttle returned at 4:50. It turned out to take much more time than I imagined. There was a long, long line at TSA. I eventually had to cut to the front of the line and made my gate with less than 2 minutes to go. My advice- go at least 30 minutes earlier than what the front desk advises. Also- a beer in the bar was ten bucks (they automatically add a tip). Probably not that uncommon for the area, but be prepared to pay.

It was a clean room and clean facility.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Restaurant was quite expensive and didn't like the bathroom sink in the hallway

Location is mostly great cause of proximity to the airport. Staff were friendly

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The lady in the restaurant was unfriendly. If you don’t like your job: quit. There’s no need to snap at people when they ask if they can order. Every staff member I met was nice and friendly, she was the only one who was borderline rude. Let’s hope she just had a bad day..

No dislikes

Biggest bonus was access to Newark Airport and free hotel shuttle 24 hrs. 10 min ride to the Airtrain to all terminals and connection to Penn Station NYC via New Jersey Transit or Amtrak. Had only 1 dinner, was average. Spent week end touring New York City,great location.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Our airline rebooked our tickets and instead of arriving at night, we had to take a red eye and arrive the next morning. Even though I sent proof of our changed itinerary (completely due to airline problem) the hotel would not refund our prepaid room (since we didn't need a hotel anymore). So, we took a one hour nap and shower before our day. I think the hotel should have been accommodating but they were not.

Comfy bed and pillows. Clean room.