Reviews of Diamond Head Inn 2 stars

605 Diamond Street, Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA 92109, USA

#206 of 226 hotels in San Diego

• Room Selected at Check-In

Our bathroom window opened to the dumpster and had a few questionable people rummaging through outside. Just kept it closed :)

Very nice staff when checking in, very professional and courteous. Room was in good condition, looked recently remodeled, not the best handy work but good materials and good concept. No complaints - great location and comfy stay. Oh! There’s a kitchen, too. Great value.

• Two Room Suite with Sofa Bed and Kitchen

All floors except for bathroom were pretty dirty, no counter in bathroom to put toiletries on, and pull out sofa bed was very squeaky.

Location and bathroom was immaculately clean

• Two Room Suite with Sofa Bed and Kitchen

Great location and our room was very clean and beds were very comfortable. Window all around the room so we could open them up for a very nice breeze. The continental breakfast was good!! coffee , juice and some French pastries. I would definitely stay here again!

• Two Room Suite with Sofa Bed and Kitchen

Outside of the building is not kept up. Tiles on the ground are broken/missing that you can trip on, front of building painted but they didn't finish the sides or the back. Front doors and exterior windows to some rooms have some dry rot, drywall construction and wheelbarrow/trash left at the back of the building. Walking paths to rooms were dirty, not broomed or hosed down. Kitchen-one big and one small spoon, one big and one small fork, no paper towels, etc.

Location can't be beat, walk right out to the boardwalk and all restaurants are walkable. Staff at the front desk were very nice and helpful.

• Room Selected at Check-In

No coffee or water in room. Parking can be a challenge at the beach - they should reserve all the parking spots out front for guests. Like any hotel I can hear people outside or next door - so it can get a little noise. But u r in the beach! Wish they gave discounts to ppl who stay here a few times. !

Been here before love the location since I grew up here. Laura at the front desk is a total sweetheart!! This place is very clean and the rooms are updated and very comfortable

• Standard Queen Room

The exterior could use a little more cleaning up and maybe a fresh coat of paint. For example, cigarette ashes all over the stairs, a few broken tiles and some stuff left out that doesn't look very pleasant.

Staff was all very friendly and helpful with all our questions.

• Premium Queen Room with Kitchen

We were there when there was another guest who decided to go crazy at night and break his door down which wasn’t the hotels fault. However I felt we should have maybe been offered a discount or something since we were up all night with a 2 year old because of it. And also the guy wasn’t arrested which made me very uncomfortable to even stay our last night.

• Room Selected at Check-In

While I understand the location is prime, you should expect to pay a pretty penny for your stay. One other small hiccup was I had to do all my booking at the front counter because my online reservation through Booking . com did not register or go through. The staff at the counter was delightful though.

This hotel exceeded my expectations. I'll be honest - from the outside of the building it does not look that nice, but inside my hotel suite was simply gorgeous. My suite faced the ocean and even had a balcony. The whole place was spotless, clean, modern, and an overall pleasure to stay in.

• Two Room Suite with Sofa Bed and Kitchen

The hotel advertises a 2 bedroom suite, but there is only 1 bedroom options! There are 20 rooms and only 5 parking spaces!!! Horrible service, no window coverings, just paper duct taped to the window, poor installation of bathroom fixtures so water leaks and soaks the entire bathroom floor.

The ONLY good thing about this place was the location.

• Room Selected at Check-In

Careful when booking, they actually only have two rooms with two beds. They consider a queen bed with a pull out sofa a two bed room. And the parking situation at the hotel is open to public beach parking. You can park at another property but it's very limited.

The location is hard to beat. Good beach access and lots of restaurants close by. Less than two miles from the Belmont park.

California is so expensive

Steps to the boardwalk and beach. Everything you need here within walking distance! Lots of surfer dudes to watch and dolphins . Cool summer temps

• Standard Queen Room with Kitchen

No free wifi here you pay by day, parking is limited and you may need to park down the block at thier other property. Otherwise great!!

The property is clean and so close to the water. Parking is limited but the manager n staff are kind and helpful,

• Room Selected at Check-In

They were remodeling and instead of getting a bigger room with two beds like we paid for, they gave us a smaller room with a queen and a roll away bed. We didn't find this out until check in so we couldn't make make other arrangements.

• Room Selected at Check-In

The reservation was made online for an oceanfront room. I called the morning of & they had no reservation for me in the system... Supposedly it was entered into the system at that time & was squared away. Then later in the day (after driving 7 hours), 2 hours before arrival, I called & still no reservation for me in the system... I feel we should have been discounted or given a better room after all that worry or at least an Oceanfront room like we were supposed to have in the first place!

This hotel was overall great. There was construction going on at the time of visit is why I had to score lower on safety- NOT PERMANENT. The breakfast provided is held in a small office which consisted of some pastries, muffins, & coffee/tea/orange juice. It was a jump hop & a skip away from the beach, boardwalk,and lots to eat at. I wasn't out for entertainment besides the beach- which was perfect (even without a view of any sort)!

• Room Selected at Check-In

We were not told about the current construction going on. When we asked to see the approximate area of our room, we were told that we couldn't even though they knew where our room was. It was noisy and dusty. Our room was not ready on time. Our door could not be opened or closed properly because they had just painted the door jam. The bed did not have a bed skirt, made noise and was very uncomfortable. The materials used were very cheap and ugly. The TV only played one channel. I would never book here again. The pictures are not reality.

The only positive about this hotel was the location.

• Room Selected at Check-In

They were in the middle of renovating, so it took a long time to check in, our bathroom did not have a door knob installed. Very noisy as well.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Kitchen

Did noy have my room available even though i called twice to check on my reservations , we had to pull out the couch and that was why we wanted 2 beds!! trash can filled with water and mosquitoes outside room, construction workers taking all of the parking spots,and the new glass shower leaks all over the floor. Room was not clean even though it was just renovated. I was never told i would be hearing construction all day and night.

Location only thing good.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

• Standard Queen Room with Kitchen

just sweet rolls, under construction. Although this room was supposed to be completed, it had some issues

Good size room, very clean excellent location from beach!

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

• Standard Queen Room with Kitchen

Parking is a bit of a problem until renovations are completed.

this is small hotel under renovations while we were there....staff is so helpful and friendly and goes above and beyond to make up for the inconvenience of the renovations.

• Standard Queen Room with Kitchen

There was construction on the property next to the hotel, right outside the window. I was unable to open the window during the day due to the construction and loud noises.

So close to the beach you can just walk out of the hotel room.

• Standard Queen Room with Kitchen

The majority of the hotel was under construction. This was not information that was made available prior to our arrival. It was apparent why a substantial remodel was underway when we arrived in a room that did not have working AC, had stained carpet, and a tub that had lots of chips in it. Due to the construction, electricity was off during the day. While it wasn't a major issue since we were out and about most of the time, the items in the refrigerator were a loss. Parking was in short supply (construction crew spaces were reserved and public access to the beach spaces were not available overnight-I got a ticket to remind me) so we typically parked on a sister property a block away. The breakfast that was included consisted of danishes, juice, and coffee.

Location was perfect-we could walk to anything we wanted to do. The ocean was mere steps away.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

• Standard Queen Room with Kitchen

No air conditioning, room was so dark with very little light, enamel was coming off the bath, place did not feel clean. Really needs updating for the prices charged.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

• Standard Queen Room

Carpeting was very dusty and dirty the toilet and.fan.in the bathroom made a terrible noise the.blind was broke but they fixed no air conditioning so you heard all the noise outside having the windows open the windows were so dirty no wash clothes and hand toilets the first night

Location. And. The kitchen

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

• Room Selected at Check-In

The restroom was discusting.. and there was stains on the first cover on top of bed. Oh and.. there's no AC!!!!!!

I loved the fact that this hotel was 40 ft away from the ocean

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

• Two Room Suite with Sofa Bed and Kitchen

Stains on carpet, furnace was on in summer and thermostat was a hazard, no face to let you know how to turn it down wth exposed wires. Room smelled like puke and wet dog, was not cleaned well, stove didn't work, but maintenance got it working, tv sound went in and out and we often had to reset the cable just to get it to work. My digital antenna at home works much better and is free. Also pay internet, loud cieling fans. Hotel needs a deep cleaning or tile/laminate floor installed to avoid stains. With a little work and better management, this could be a comfortable hotel. Their excuse is they can't get permits to do the work. Since when do you need a permit to install flooring. It's a shame because it has great potential with the space. I will try to find something more comfortable in the future.

The staff was responsive to our problems of which there were many. Location was close to everything you might need to have a great time in PB.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

• Two Room Suite with Sofa Bed and Kitchen

We weren't able to check in at 3 when check in is supposed to be. We were told "sometimes people check out late". I had a 2 month old and it was completely unacceptable. The entire hotel was disgusting and dirty. The bathtubs were the grossest things I've ever seen. We had to shower standing on a towel. The Windows had no screens so we couldn't keep them open and the rooms in our studio got really hot, once again, unacceptable when traveling with a small child. All around, horrible experience.

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

• Room Selected at Check-In

The hotel is kind of old and outdated. The carpet was gross. The breakfast was disappointing.

I love how close it was to the beach! It was also cool to have a kitchen in the room.

• Reviewed: 30 July 2016

• Room Selected at Check-In

everything. broken door lock, NO AC, room was 110 degrees, useless kitchen, dirty bathroom, unhelpful staff, way too expensive for the poor quality.

nothing.

• Reviewed: 30 July 2016

• Room Selected at Check-In

The biggest con is the lack of air conditioning and that they don't mention this anywhere! Second, they don't even have basic extra amenities like a blow dryer or conditioner and lotion, and only have a few parking spots. Also no extra pillows and the bed is super uncomfortable. Staff is just average if not worse, bare minimum service. Pacific shores Inn is the same price and has a/c, all the basic amenities, better staff and close to the same location plus more parking.

The location was absolutely fantastic!

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

• Standard Queen Room with Kitchen

So poor for how much you pay: hot rooms due to lack of AC, fittings broken or in disrepair throughout, the worst Wi-Fi inhale ever paid 6 dollars a day to use (literally couldn't use apps for the duration which was somewhat annoying as I needed them to plan my travel). All in all I don't understand how it is the price it is at as there is so much better out there for just a little more. I cannot recommend this place.

Right on the beach so good location (and easy to get away from the place itself!)

• Reviewed: 23 July 2016

• Room Selected at Check-In

The weather during the time we stayed was pretty warm so it would have been nice to have ac. Also there was a good bit of noise from some of the other the hotel guests and just the surrounding area. If you are a light sleeper this place will be tough.

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

• Two Room Suite with Sofa Bed and Kitchen

There were broken, loose tiles on the bathroom floor that caught our toes. The ceiling fan in the bedroom (we had a suit) only worked on low and the blades were full of dust. For what is being paid for the room, those two things should be taken care of, especially the broken tile which is a safty hazard.

Laura the front clerk was very friendly and helpful. She did tell us on the phone when I called to confirm our room (I booked online) that there was no air condition , so that we could bring a fan if we wanted. Things that you would expect, in a $300/night suiet were good...clean sheets, Clean towels, clean kitchen, clean floor & carpet, comfortable beds, clean bathroom.

• Reviewed: 15 July 2016

• Room Selected at Check-In

I planned to cook every day but the lack of utensils made it difficult ie. no rubber spatulas or forks for eating. A coffee maker would have been nice but they had coffee in the office in the morning.

I liked that parking was available in the parking lots at the sister hotels. That was a plus!

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

• Two Room Suite with Sofa Bed and Kitchen

Beds uncomfortable no locks on the Windows did not feel safe ,trash all around the complex no ac said it was 2 queen beds but it was a queen and a pull out they also said there was ac in the suites there was none I had a queen suite

It was close to the beach that's the only thing that was good and the staff was friendly .

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

• Room Selected at Check-In

Carpet was so durty , no a/c , during the day it was so hot inside the room , for that price at least window unit they should it have , Maybe some fans , it was to hard to open the Windows too, blinds are old and hard to open some of them didn't even work .

Staff were nice to us;)

• Reviewed: 27 June 2016

• Standard Queen Room with Kitchen

Carpet had stains, windows didn't have screens so I couldn't open windows to assist with keeping the temperature comfortable. There was missing counter around the bathroom sink - very unsightly. Hairdryer didn't work. Lights burned out or didn't work.

The location is very convenient for using beach, restaurants, shopping.

• Standard Queen Room with Kitchen

bed was too hard and sheets were not wonderful

Very close to beach. Friendly staff some of the time.

• Two Room Suite with Sofa Bed and Kitchen

Amazing location, friendly staff!

crazy parking

Staff, all really nice.

Nice view, friendly staff

• Two Room Suite with Sofa Bed and Kitchen

Totally run down hotel. Linens smelt awful. Bed super uncomfortable. Expected more for the price

Location to beach

Very poor breakfast

Liked the proximity to the beach

• Two Room Suite with Sofa Bed and Kitchen

There were no wastebaskets in the room

Location, cleanliness, comfort

Tv was fuzzy

Bed was comfortable

• Room Selected at Check-In

Noise level was a little high, not so much from traffic but walls were very thin.

Location was great and rooms were big and clean.

Parking is limited.

Right next to the besch

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Kitchen

Finding a car park wasn't easy. Had to drive around for quite a while.

Comfortable and clean.

• Room Selected at Check-In

Pictures have not been updated. Rooms have been completely renovated. Present surprise and I will be back.

• Room Selected at Check-In

Very close to the beach. Room was clean nothing fancy. A few rooms had a view. Other than that 150 a night in PB isn't bad.

• Standard Queen Room with Kitchen

Can't say there is anything that I didn't like...

Clean, Cozy and Friendly! GREAT LOCATION 100 steps from the beach!!!

• Standard Queen Room

They were doing construction early in the morning tell evening

It was very clean

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Kitchen

Beds are reaching the end of a west cycle. Not the worst but a little beat up

Location location location

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

• Standard Queen Room

Check in at a hotel down the street and no one informs you of that.

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

• Room Selected at Check-In

AC didn't seem to work properly in the room.

Comfortable bed, great size room for the price. Excellent location for beach and PB. Friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

Air con not working. Curtains tied open. Fan not working

Free upgrade

• Standard Queen Room with Kitchen

The staff that worked there were very unprofessional and uneducated as to the company and what policies can be enforced or not.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

• Two Room Suite with Sofa Bed and Kitchen

Not all the windows would lock. I was a little concerned.

Great value for the money

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

• Room Selected at Check-In

The bath tub was all cracked. There where stains all over the rug in the bedroom. It had a musky smell to it.

Very close to the beach.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

No A/C, No WiFi & No Parking

Proximity to the beach

• Reviewed: 20 July 2016

• Two Room Suite with Sofa Bed and Kitchen

Location, shops, rental fun, food.

• Reviewed: 25 June 2016

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Kitchen

Bathtub was nasty it look like throw up

Near beach

• Reviewed: 23 May 2016

Hardware Floor in room was really dusty. My family has to wear socks around. I didn't mind the first night but had hoped the cleaning crew would notice it the next morning when they came in to clean the room but nope! We came back and the floor has not been touched. I'm not those to make request about cleaning certain areas. I would like the staff to know for themselves. Not only was the room dusty, the ac was full of dust (and did not work - glad the weather was actually chilly when we stayed there), the window blinds were also dusty too. We stayed at 3 Different hotels during our SoCal vacation, this one is probably the most dirty.

• Reviewed: 3 May 2016

The room was disgusting, the staff was so unprofessional and so rude! Never had a worse experience in all my life! The bathroom was so gross we used the public showers to shower.

The ocean

• Reviewed: 21 April 2016

Very disappointed with Booking.com, as we had to leave and could not cancel. Also, when you turn the water on in the bathroom It sprayed out from under the sink. Windows did not work, and carpet was very bad condition.

location to beach

• Reviewed: 15 April 2016

The staff was rude,did not bring fresh towels daily. Locked me out of my room and told me I had to check out and check back in. And was very rude about it and states that it was because that was how booking.com booked it. He told me I'm lucky my room was still avaliable and that they didn't give it away. I showed them my confirmation for all four nights and when I checked in down the street the man there told me he was checking me in until wed and told me the total price so for all nights was being ran but then I had to break it up in to three times making me go to the office and check in and out three times. It was really inconvenient for them to do it like that when. Clearly it was the same name and info for all of the nightable. Then the man proceeded to talk down to me like I was stupid and made it seem like he was doing me a favor by letting me keep my room and not charging me for not checking out by 11am since I had no idea.

I liked where the inn was located close to the beach

• Reviewed: 12 April 2016

They didn't have my reservation. When I went to check out they still didn't ! No A/c. Tub was disgusting. Lots of little things like broken towel rack etc etc

The location was it

• Reviewed: 22 February 2016

No a/c, walls are thin...could hear neighbors. Breakfast offered was a joke. Very limited parking.

Great location to the beach, shopping and restaurants. Good size room and kitchenette was great to have.

• Reviewed: 30 November 2015

Very few options in breakfast. Room was a lil outdated.

Perfect location.Not an ocean view hotel but right next to ocean. Good amenities in the room - microwave, refrigerator , small sofa.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2015

Everything spent time filling in wrong box so if you read and care look at what I like?

No AC first response from my complaints "I only rent rooms" alley view stinking trash room refrigerator was under counter so heated entire room when gone had to lock up in the alley no AC spent entire day and night on beach because room was unbearable and family of 20 occupied other rooms all hanging around because nobody had AC worst room overall ever by fare for $ only savior was San Diego PB and best is guy who rented room with no assistance "I only rent rooms" when I cancelled reservations for entire trip 3 days we got a room that night 2 blocks away better$ AC completely better in every way except lady who booked room for rest of trip said the "I only rent rooms guy" will be checking us in the morning new property also . Daimondhead Inn was the worst overall experience I have ever paid for and I have traveled all over the world with a hospitality degree from UNLV 1994 Hotel Administrations and Restaurant Management so what do I know please tell Captian Obvious he is Private Parts(small) to me until a proper apology for my worst ever booking venture in modern day history!! Thank GOD for the beach only savior

• Reviewed: 9 October 2015

no a/c rooms are starting to show their age, rusting tubs, broken doors, a/c installed but not working, you can get a fan from front desk but not really that good. not 24/7 staffing no room service (not really needed though) The billing process, continual billing with several authorisations on card, some overcharging and still waiting on funds to be released back to me.

the location is excellent, right on the beach and a great area for nightlife and shopping. link vis bus to Old town and the trolley system make it ideal as a base from which to explore

• Reviewed: 6 October 2015

There is no parking designated for this hotel, just about 10 spots right on the street. The owner gave us the address of two other properties two blocks away that we could park at. Maybe this is normal, but the rooms did not have AC? We had to open all our windows, which did not have screens. Being on the first floor with open windows is a little scary...especially with a dumpster right outside your window.

It is in the middle of everything and steps from the boardwalk and sand. The gentlemen working the desk was friendly.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2015

Smelled BAD. Toilet=Awkward fail at tiling, the tile sticks into your back while you try to go?? The pull out sofa is uncomfortable. Parking??? GOOD LUCK! 2 kids ran around above us for a great portion of the night and woke us up 6:30 sharp! You should be courteous to people trying to have r&r and never put wild kids on the 2nd floor. I WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN! ESPECIALLY as a treat for MY FAMILY, it was more like a PUNISHMENT!

Close to beach

• Reviewed: 28 September 2015

There wasn't any air conditioning and it was hot. Also our room should have had a great view but there was a huge trailer parked so our view was limited.

There are also 45 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Diamond Head Inn traveller photo gallery