Reviews of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Conference Center Chicago North Shore 3 stars

9599 Skokie Boulevard, Skokie, IL 60077, USA

#2 of 4 hotels in Skokie

We switched from another hotel last minute to be able to go here. We ended up having our 17-month-old travel with us, so we booked this hotel solely so we could enjoy the indoor/outdoor pool during our visit. It was about 15 minutes out of our way, but the pool made it worth it. Saturday as we went to scope out the pool, so use in the afternoon there was a sign on the door stating the "pool was closed, sorry for the inconvenience." The pool was not open again the entire day, and the front desk told us "possibly the next day it would be open, with no explanation". We had to check out by then and were very disappointed.

Room was adequate. Parking was free.

• King Room - Disability Access

There was some remodeling being done in the business office and I was asked to leave in the middle of the paper I was writing

The place had a good vibe

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We had to switch bc the first room didn’t cool at all, and reeked of cigarette smoke. The new room never got properly cool, and the carpet felt damp underfoot. And, when I showered in the morning, the tub never drained. The room was a huge disappointment and constant source of frustration.

They made it very easy when we needed to switch rooms.

The furnishings are getting a little shabby. The hook had been torn off the bathroom door. Drawers in the bureau didn't operate properly.

The location is great. The hotel staff are wonderful. The bar is also great.

No vent in bathroom. Sink hot water faucet leaked. Tub filled with water while showering.

Loved the location. Next to good food and shopping. Not far from Evanston or Chicago.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Hotel is old and not refurbished properly. Lamps were unplugged & outlets not accessible to plug them in. They charged $3.00 for a bottle of water provided in the room; the coffee maker was cheap and not enough supplies provided.

Nice bed & shower

Bathroom is small...something was ticking in my room and could not figure out what is it.

Clean, nice fitness center. Nice pool, great staff, free parking...good restaurants in the area ..

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bathroom was extremely small, wall inside shower was cracked and the shoeer made noises.

Excellent staff, very ftiendly. The shuttle was a big plus. Free snacks was also something good to have.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was not vacuumed, there was a bug on my comforter and the bartender in the evening did not want to serve me a drink. He ignored me & kept asking the other people at the bar with a drink were they ok & if they wanted a drink. Then he finally acknowledged me with a oh you snuck up on me. I was not standing at the bar to watch other people drink.

I slept well & the room was well decorated.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

the Bar closes a little early!

The food was excellent in the restaurant. Loved this hotel, will highly recommend it to friends and family for future vacations.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

check to make sure what guest have ask for in reservations.

Bathtub handle was broke with first use of shower. Wasn't happy with room too tight couldn't hardly get around. Was put in back of hotel and on 6th floor when we arrived after I ask when I booked room to have ground floor. Front desk clerk said he didn't check the reservation. Just wasn't happy with over all experience. Food was very expensive, but that's Chicago for you.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

THE ELEVATORS SMELLED FROM ARTIFICAL AIR FRESHENER THAT WAS SOOOO STRONG IT WAS NAUSEATING AS IF THEY WERE COVERING UP A MORE REPULSIVE SMELL. OUR ROOM LOCK LOST THE BATTERY POWER AND AFTER 2 TIMES GOING DOWN TO THE RECEPTION DID THEY GET AN ENGINEER TO FIX IT WHICH TOOK OVER 45 MINUTES IN TOTAL WE WERE LOCKED OUT OF OUR ROOM FOR 1:15 MINUTES AND THEN I HAD TO REQUEST A ROOM CHANGE AT 11PM.

NOTHING

Staff is great. Room is clean. Breakfast is not complimentary but offers a wide selection. I really enjoyed the French toast. Location is great too, very close to H-Mart.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

There could have been a cover for the remote control , covering the batteries/the ceiling in the shower could have been clean/the security lock on the door was not secure,someone must have tried to over power the door at some time/damage money, what kind of clientele do you have staying at the hotel/the sounds that came from the wedding upstairs I was on the 6th floor/the drain in the tub that did not work/the desk chair that was terribly beat up/This is a Hilton Hotel. What has happen. I have stayed here before several times and loved it. This time I felt that I was staying at a low class motel.

The towels were soft. The location of the hotel was perfect. That’s the only two good things about this hotel.

We could really hear the very noisy lifts in our room Restaurant staff were not good. Closed earlier than advertised & actually discouraged us from going in one night when we got there 20 mins before scheduled closing time

Great staff in main hotel

Hotel is often booked by groups having big parties in the basement and top floor ballroom. Very convenient if you are staying at the hotel for one of the events, if you are not - far too much commotion and noise for a relaxing stay.

Great location and great place if you are there for a group event happening at the hotel.

• Queen Room - Disability Access

Parking!! With events going on we had trouble finding a parking space all three nights we were there - enough to keep us away if it happens again (same problem last time we were there for a friends wedding. Location of drinking glasses not immediately apparent (down under the bedside table).

Free coffee, papers and apples - very nice. Thank you.

The rooms could be better cleaned. The towels on the first day that i checked in were dirty. The bathtub wasn't draining water well. The water pressure was too high and when you turn it low the water gets cold. I found a feedback card raising the same issues but it was in the drawers all through and I left it there. Something needs to be done to improve the cleanliness of the hotel rooms.

The front desk staff were helpful and on hand to assist whenever one needed assistance. One of the front staff Maria was excellent. The shuttle service and the drivers are an excellent service offered by the hotel. The drivers were courteous and helpful. Solomon was exceptionally good.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Told us that they didn't have any rooms in the hotel with queen sized beds. Room was smaller than we are used to as a Hilton gold members.

Convenient to many casual dining options. Easy access to highways but also local roads. I always like having coffee maker in the room.

• Queen Room - Disability Access

Deep rugs in handicap room make it difficult for wheelchair to move. Beds were so high it was difficult to transfer out of chair to get into bed. No microwave.

Staff was very accommodating after initial foul up on reservation. We reserved a handicap accessible room with booking.com but this didn't show up on our reservation. That were able to find us a room.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Everything else. Toilet handle fell off...my husband fixed it. We had rooms for 22 people and they were all different prices and I didn't get a receipt so I still don't know what I paid for. I would like that receipt. The book in our room said one would be slipped under our door. Did not happen.

The bed was nice and so was the swimming pool. The shuttle driver on Wed.was amazing

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Bathrooms could've used vent fan, not sure why it didn't have one. Would've been nice to have a continental breakfast.

loved the warm cookies at check-in! Never had a place who welcomes you with warm cookies and each guest gets their own! Free coffee,tea and apples all day long!

The bathroom was a little small.

The staff were very nice and extremely helpful. The room was clean and the cleaning staff cleaned and freshened the room daily. Complimentary coffee was delish and those warm cookies are wonderful!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was no sense of the larger community around the hotel, as it was located at a major crossroads, with large chain establishments on each corner.

It was easy to locate by car and near a major regional shopping center. Great climate control on the room and a comfortable bed topped by a luxurious comforter. Fair proximity to Northwestern University, but car is essential.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

Expensive for a small dirty room staff tried to overcharge when we arrived no breakfast not even any complimentary water coffee terrible o

Nothing was good

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

staff was unwilling to honor the booking.com price. Required calling a manager, which took a long time, at check out. Staff was unwilling to credit me with honors points, and had to go through a process to get them added.

room was comfortable

Front desk personnel was more interested in gabbing with other employees than checking us in. Room was mediocre at best, less so considering the cost. No breakfast included. We will not stay there again.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Little far from downtown Chicago. Takes around 70-75 minutes one way from Skokie IL

The hotel staff was very welcoming. Rooms were very clean. The shuttle service provided by DoubleTree Hilton hotel was helpful to travel the 5 mile radius. Hotel is surrounded by few good restaurants such as Chipotle, Panera, Chinese and Thai food. Only thing is distance from downtown Chicago. The hotel is in Skokie and it takes around 70-75 minutes to reach downtown. Very pleasant stay and would recommend this to others who don't mind spending few more minutes traveling by metro trains for Chicago downtown.

The property is beautiful and very elegant. I was not expecting it to be huge. The accommodations are nice and cozy. The staff are friendly. The complimentary cookies, coffee and tea are great. The restaurant downstairs is awesome. The Best Salmon and New England Chowder I ever had. I loved everything. The only would be complaint is that the refrigerator is no bigger than a Ladies handbag. We could barely find it. Overall, I would highly recommend it and would definitely stay again.

I didnt like that events took priority to room rentals. There was an event the weekend we stayed, and there was very limited parking spots. I didnt like that we werent given a reduced rate for having a smoking neighbor. We were in an adjoining room, and people in the room on otherside were excessive smokers. Also, they warned us when checking in that we would hear the music in our tenth floor room, even though the events were two floors up... and yep you could!

The environment was nice. The rooms were nice, including the king size bed!

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

Relying on Booking.com

At check-in, there was no reservation even we had the confirmation email. The hotel staff were excellent in taking care of us and getting us a room.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

No shower cap or bath gel. Water was not very hot.

It was a real surprise to be welcomed with a hot chocolate chip cookie. The sitting area with fireplace was a nice space.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

The bedding wasn't that comfy. There was a fairly large open hole around one of the sprinklers in the room which I thought might welcome creatures.

The hot cookies anytime you wanted them. The room we had was a good size. Coffee in the room was nice.

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

I was told I would not receive Hilton pts even though I paid the same price through an agency as I would have if I booked on the website. VERY DISAPPOINTING. Also disappointing that there was almost 100% difference if I prepaid vs reservation same day. I get a little difference, but not 100%!

Free coffee, apples. Room was very nice and clean. Nice to have plug-ins and USB ports up on desk, night stand instead of having to crawl around to get to them

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

It appears they are in the process of remodeling. A relative had a room on the 6th floor and their room had new carpet and was freshly painted along with the hallways. Our room was on the 3rd floor and the first impression coming from the modern lobby was how dingy the hallways looked. If I hadn't gone up to the 6th floor and saw that they are remodeling things I would have been disappointed in the hotel appearance. However, the improvements on the higher floors are nice and once all the floors are finished it will be a very pretty hotel.

The hotel lobby was pretty and the staff was very friendly. The restaurant was tasty.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

Nothing really

We loved having the indoor pool to entertain our grandchildren ! The staff was very attentive and the facilities were very clean - we will be back to stay here again in the near future

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Towels and wash cloths were not in excess and the quality of the sort that I would expect for such a price.

The mattress was good and HARD. The pillows were perfect.

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

This hotel is a bit rundown but we did see that renovations are imminent. When we first came into the room it felt damp but that seemed to dissipate.

Convenient location. Large room with plenty of space.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

The fact that there wasn't a microwave in our room was a little unusual. Additionally, we had only two full-body towels in our room, despite two of us staying there. The bathroom was pretty small, too.

The room was clean and comfortable.

Geweldig ontbijt: pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, toast, yogurt and fresh fruit, cereals, bagels and cream cheese, coffee and tea, all for one low price!

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I really liked your location, and that means so much!

I liked the roominess and places to sit and talk in the large lobby/living room area. Was a great place to meet and plan the day.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2016

Bathroom was a bit small.

Very comfortable bed. Free parking. Reasonable rates. Good location in northern Chicago suburbs. Clean room. Spacious room. Accommodating staff. Free chocolate chip cookies.

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

My check out time was noon and we ran some stuff out to the car around 11, came back and the hotel cleaners had taken our cooler and all our extra food (which we had ready to go because we were obviously coming back!). They gave us most of it back, but it was weird picking my stuff off their cart. All in all, it wouldn't have happened if they followed the time i was given and let us be there until our check out time.

Very clean and well kept

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

The rooms were clean! The hotel was upscale yet cozy and offered everything you need. My son loves the pool!! All of the staff were fabulous!! Would definitely stay there again and recommend it!

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

The carpet in the room clearly needs to be replaced. There was a square in the middle of the floor that was cut out and filled with a replacement piece. Didn't expect that when staying at a Doubletree. The rest of the room was great / very clean!

It was my husband's 65th birthday and after getting back to our room from a disastrous trip back from a White Sox game, we found a bottle of wine with 2 wine glasses & a birthday card in our room from the hotel guest services wishing him a Happy Birthday. Such a classy move & it made us forget about how stressful it was trying to get back to the hotel. Thank you to the staff & guest services!

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The price I paid was way too much. I had a nasty view. The room was pretty small/cramped for it to be over $200.

The pillows and bed was extra soft. Also received free breakfast.

• Reviewed: 9 July 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was a bit dated and not much room in bathroom, especially the way the door closed. Hallway doors noisey when closing.

Bed was comfortable, convenient to have restaurant on premises.

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was old. The bathroom had rusty and peeling exposed pipes. The bathtub was peeling and rust was on the bar. I asked for a different room and they told no this is what I paid for.

Great location for my needs.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

The bath room could have been a bit more bigger. I walked into the door a couple times. haha!

The view from the 8th floor was absolutely beautiful! My pillows were soft and heavenly and I felt at home in peace.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2016

• Queen Room - Disability Access

Would have appreciated a continental breakfast option.

The staff were amazingly helpful and friendly. Their help in arranging transportation was excellent. Also we have a service dog and they were welcoming and very accepting of him in your beautiful hotel. Thanks to all of them.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The warm chocolate cookie was an unexpected treat on arrival.

Food was left in fridge from proir guest and started to smell. The tub was clogged

Very pleasant staff beautiful facility

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Excellent experience, great location!

TV channel

My room

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bathroom for the room was a bit small.

The bed was super comfy.

It was really nice I would stay again

Not a thing.

Property completely and thoroughly met my expectations.

Great like always

Not much. The restaurant food was mediocre.

Warm

Room was tired and worn. HVAC didn’t work properly.

Public areas were nice

Small bathroom....but decorated well.

Very convenient location for our weekend plans

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Maid didn't clean our room on 2nd day of 5 day stay! Not good!

No breakfast.

Friendly environmental.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Tub was unable to drain the shower water - plugged. Not good!!

Daily sanitary supply not added everyday. Coffee maker is old and not functioned well, Heating system not working well and too noisy.

Expensive breakfast buffet. Food not restocked timely

I was charged $37.50 and I am waiting to find out why .

Very comfortable bed. Clean

Everything!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel is old and I was disappointed with my room's cleanliness

The neighborhood was cozy.

• King Room - Disability Access

They charged us more than the rate quoted when we booked.

Bathroom was very small.

Small bathroom

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

the bedding made me ill noise from the AC unit

warm cookies were nice Location is ideal; close enough to the city yet far enough away

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Staff, room, bedding, pool, and everything about this property, I liked the cookies most of all!