Reviews of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston - Downtown 3 stars

821 Washington Street, Chinatown, Boston, MA 02111, USA

#54 of 81 hotels in Boston

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

location was good and beds were comfortable.
    • City View Two Double Beds

very slow lifts, restaurant food was not good and rate was high. internet is billed separately. most hotels nowadays have free wifi included in the room charge.

location was good and beds were comfortable. loved that Starbucks was in the lobby. bellman was very nice

The room had no real window and with a young family we were...
    • Quadruple Room

The room had no real window and with a young family we were in early in the evening, it would have been nice to have a view. Also we bought a sm bottle of water and a fanta which came to $12, bit steep!! Then when we got the bill they tried to chatge us a further $8 for tge same items?

the free cookie was amazing!
    • City View Two Double Beds

the "city view"! there was a view of the city but you had to look out the window to the left....it was a pretty weak view!

the free cookie was amazing!

The location and staff were amazing.
    • King Room - Disability Access

We didn’t have a window in our room. It was covered by a decal that covered it up completely. I guess our room was an interior room that looked into an inside stairwell or something.

The location and staff were amazing. The bed was so comfortable and our room was cleaned perfectly every day.

would stay again
    • Quadruple Room

parking overnight is a bit pricey

front desk staff very efficient, room very clean and comfortable. easy to walk to where we wanted to go, theater, shopping, restaurants,

There was no refrigerator in the room. My room was near the exercise court and people accessing and exiting it late at night (midnight) were noisy and when the door slammed the wall behind my bedhead vibrated. Receiving check out notification and invoice one day early

Proximity to hospital and theatre district. Early morning bag drop Staff were friendly and knowledgeable

Good hotel - although close to the Medical Centre was really quiet. It was very conveniently located

Nothing I can think of

Really friendly reception staff - took a genuine interest in their guests. They were very efficient and helpful. The hot, freshly baked cookie was the cherry on top (simply enhanced the overall experience)

Not easy to get free wifi if you book from booking.com
    • Quadruple Room

The middle-age male staff at the reception on the noon of June 29 was really rude. During checking-in we asked for the access to the wifi but got rejected. Instead, we were asked to pay for the wifi, just because we are not the so-called Hilton members, unbelievable!!! The good thing was that, later in the evening, we asked again the reception and another friendly young staff gave us the promocode for the wifi. Nonetheless, I will not recommend this hotel to anyone else. Besides, the room is not soundproof. You can hear the noises from the aisle and the parking area and the streets. Good luck with it!

Large space of the room. Good location. Most of the staffs are nice. Clean. Easy to find Chinese food. Convenient transportation.

Not easy to get free wifi if you book from booking.com

Great ! Thanks :)

The staff are really great .. so helpful .. Unfortunately, I don`t remember the names (I remember Eva) but all of them were great. looking forward for my next visit to Boston :) . Rooms are good, clean .. comfortable. Wifi is also good. Location is good close to downtown Boston.

Great location to see downtown Boston!
    • City View King Bed

The facility restaurant food was just okay and the menu was pretty limited.

The city view was pretty good. The staff did a great job of keeping the room clean around our schedule.

Less than desirable
    • Quadruple Room - Disability Access

Only a few of the staff were helpful. The bathroom didn't appear to be clean and had a musty smell. The hotel room smelled of smoke in a non-smoking room. Over-priced for what you get and pictures online were deceiving. Customer service line was terrible- never able to get through to the front desk prior to our stay

There is a starbucks in the lobby

I didn't get free parking, I had to paid for leaving my...
    • City View Two Double Beds

I didn't get free parking, I had to paid for leaving my car in the garage. The website I booked the room said free parking and also there was no free breakfast.

Boston is an amazing Place to go shopping and a quick visit

That I had to leave the fluffy inviting bed.

Everything was great especially the complimentary cookies when joining Hilton rewards. The service was great and the staff was warm, friendly and hospitable. It was a pleasure

Friendly staff
    • City View King Bed

Book a room with a “city view” and get a room overlooking the $53 a night hotel parking and the back side of a hospital. Not much of a view as the hospital was about 6 stories higher than my room..

Friendly staff

It was comfortable

For $500 a night it would be nice to have a breakfast included. We stay in other Hiltons for less $$ and get a really nice breakfast buffet.

Bed was comfy, products smelled nice. The lobby was nicely decorated for the runners.

It was decent but I don’t know that I’ll stay there again next year.

It would have been nice to have a bathtub instead of a single shower stall. It also would have been nice to have a fridge and microwave.

I liked the proximity to the finish line if the Boston Marathon. I liked the cookies.

The staff was helpful and friendly, rooms and facilities...
    • City View Two Double Beds

Booking.com quoted a price with taxes and fees included and the Hotel did not honor that fee. The hotel added taxes and fees to the charge.

The staff was helpful and friendly, rooms and facilities were clean

Perfect honeymoon hotel. Great location for shops and airport.

I couldn't fault or stay in this hotel - I only wish we could have got one of those free cookies everyday!

We stayed here as part of our honeymoon and had a wonderful time. The room was very cosy and the service was great - especially the complimentary warm cookie on arrival! We'd love to stay again and maybe upgrade to a bigger room.

The only had a good time because we made it so. The staff did not make our stay enjoyable.

The staff could not give me a set answer on parking prices, i was charged for an extra day of parking when i didn't even park there. When asking for explanation of charges on my card no one could give me a decent answer.

Liked the area in the middle of the city close to everything. the room was nice and clean.

Outstanding Stay!!!
    • King Suite

The elevator on the main floor was out of order. Difficult to move your luggage without help.

The property was kept well-clean and decorated nicely. Managers Ryan R. and Anllelina C. Were extremely helpful and accommodating. Outstanding assets to your company!!

Location compensated for misgivings
    • City View Two Double Beds

Noisy room, generator outside window that never stopped, staff not at helpful when enquired about it. Had come from Hilton in Boston where coffee maker in room was a nice extra

Great location, room great size

The staff is super friendly, thanks a lot for sharing your...
    • Quadruple Room

It was specified complimentary wi-fi in the commune areas but that's not the case. You need to register to a portal and pay about 10 USD

The staff is super friendly, thanks a lot for sharing your best smile with us.

Overall very happy and had a fun trip!
    • Quadruple Room

In the bathroom they didn't have any cups for rinsing your mouth and I wish the room had a small refrigerator.over

The beds were very comfortable and also liked the extra pillows. I had the French toast at the restaurant that following morning, excellent!!

Boston is a great place to visit. This hotel is adequate.
    • Quadruple Room - Disability Access

Crabby night bartender. Daytime bartender was too lazy to stock the beer. Super pricey for no perks. Parking cost is insane at $53.00/day.

Quietness

Treated as only half a guest 😕
    • City View Two Double Beds

Guests to this hotel need to be aware that if you book your reservation online through Booking.com you may not get the room you reserved. I booked a double bed city view and when I arrived the front desk said there were no more double bed city view rooms. I instead received a single king bed, no city view and was charged a higher rate. The hotel gave me a small discount as compensation for expressing my concern but I still paid more and was placed in an awkward travel 'shared' bed situation. The reason the hotel gave for the inconvenience: I booked through a third party. 😕

Good til we left( or couldn’t leave)

$ 53 per night parking and they couldn’t find it in the morning so we waited a half hour after the others in our party had left. Not impressed. Bed and pillows to soft

Nice big bathroom, easy access to the restaurant we were going to

The cookie they give at the loby
    • City View King Bed

Charging internet in 2018 is a crime , when even in the streets is free..... Starbucks has free internet down the loby but a Hilton hotel has to charge for it ..

The cookie they give at the loby

Comfort and location.

I have sent questions during my online booking and I didn't receive an answer. It was not clear during the online reservation, if the breakfast was included or not in the price, as well as the fact that free wi-fi was only available at the looby.

Comfort and location.

Good location but nothing of convenience included
    • Quadruple Room

Not similar to doubletree in Dallas in that there was no shuttle service. WiFi was not included unless you sign up for something and it kicks you all the time. Breakfast was also not included and not made clear.

Comfortable and OK but not a standout. Good location
    • King Room - Disability Access

We had to wait 3/4 hour to order and over an hour for our meal one night. There was only one staff member doing drinks and serving.

Great location. the warm biscuits on arrival were beautiful on a cold snowy day.

Was ok, bar prices high. Had a double Bailys and i could of bought 2 bottles for the $24 they charge
    • Quadruple Room

Hotel feels dated and expensive for old place. needs a lick of paint to freshen up and the gym was a joke, way too small. Also had to fight to get free wifi as they wanted to charge which is so dated now, no one charges for internet !!

Sports on tv in bar

The room and hotel is great.

The room and hotel is great. However, the attached bar/restaurant has terrible service and takes forever to get your food. Would not recommend for the price of the food.

Perfectly located and very close to subway station ( 150 meters )
    • City View Two Double Beds

the quality of the pillows , the matress .the towels Staff very helpful and always available Well located and easy to go from the airport with shuttle and subway ( 3usd max per pers ) 42 USD with cab

I love this hotel, and will stay again if ever in Boston!
    • Quadruple Room

they overcharged me 60 dollars from my Booking.com price.

Beds super comfy, great pillows, everything was clean and well maintained, fab staff, nice bar and restaurant, close to subway and restaurants

A pleasant stay!

The parking is 53USD per day which is a little bit expensive .

Hotel is located downtown with Starbucks Coffee on the 1st Fl, subway next door. Hotel staff is nice and I enjoyed the steak, fish & chips and other food in the 2nd Fl. restaurant! The room is very spacious with comfortable bed.

Comfortable and clean.
    • City View King Bed

Beware that they have a 72-hour cancellation policy. Booking.com that I used wasn't clear about that policy when making the reservation. I needed to shorten my stay by one day because they work project went well, and they advised that without a very long (3) days notice, it would be a $50 fee for each day removed from my reservation. Not very business-friendly in this regard at all, since business travel can require flexibility in duration. I have not encountered a cancellation fee from any other hotel if I stayed at least my first day and gave 24 hours notice if I had to depart early.

Comfortable and clean. Seems to be in a good area for business or pleasure travel.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Wonderful Service
    • City View King Bed

We came in mid December. Our room was very cold and then noticed the window latch would not completely close. An “engineer” was called but could not fix the problem. We were immediately moved to a new, warm room. Additional perks were, also, given to us. This issue was solved quickly for us, and with a personal touch. We were very pleased. We would, definitely, stay here again. Additionally, the location was perfect for us. Thank you Hilton!!

Good.
    • City View Two Double Beds

Staff when registering very friendly. All days after, never heard a hi, hello or how are you doing? Beware, free internet only if you sit in lobby and point the laptop the right direction. There should be free room Internet.

Location across street from Tufts Medical. Doorman very attentive and helpful. Booking.com was able to get a better deal for me than Doubletree offered!

Great location in theater district of boaton/Boston...
    • King Room - Disability Access

Beds could be a little more comfortable,other than that a very nice large room

Great location in theater district of boaton/Boston Common area,great service...Starbucks on property.

Pay $23 more, live a little, stay at the Kimpton 90 instead.

Someone else controls the thermostats ! Had to switch rooms because it was sauna hot. Front desk called to check we were ok with 2nd room (we were), but a couple of hours later the room became an oven again. When we found out the toilet flush wasn’t functional, we decided to check out. On our way out, they charged us parking twice “by mistake”. Parking is $53. It seems like they just don’t care.

Very comfortable and nice stay. I will be back.

There was one of the staff members not so polite when I asked him to call a taxi for me.

Nice surroundings, good situation for me. Most of the staff very friendly, one was not so good. Spacious room, clean and very good beds. Good breakfast and good services in general.

Hotel was ok. Next time i would most likely stay closer to Quincy Market

It cost me $107.00 to park my car at the hotel. Booking should have made this added costs listed on the website. I was not told until i checked out. Website should state parking at added costs. I would have parked it in municipal parking myself and it would only have cost $50.00 The hotel shower was broken and very little water came out of the shower head. It would have been cheaper for me to fly to Boston in lieu of driving due to the added costs

Excellent hotel with a great location

Comfortable bed, wonderful staff, everyone was very helpful with directions, suggestions for restaurants, instructions on how to use public transportation.

Poor facility. Overpriced and shabby.
    • Quadruple Room

Very expensive for third rate hotel... Very tired decor..corridors shabby. Entrance area congested and poorly designed. Couldn't belive it was a Hilton hotel. Umbrella loan desk took 60 dollar deposit!

Not much

My daughter and I really enjoyed our stay in Boston.
    • Quadruple Room

Would have been useful to know beforehand how much all the different taxes would increase the original bill!!

Beds were really comfortable, hotel was quite central and easy to get to. Staff very helpful.

No problems, nice hotel.
    • City View King Bed

Price seemed high, but most hotel with subway access was expensive.

Very close to subway(the only easy way to get around town)! Staff was helpful and friendly.

Wonderful weekend trip to Boston.
    • Quadruple Room

Accept the fact that between being in a large city and the property’s location right next to Tufts Medical Center, there is the possibility of being awoken in the middle of th night.

Room was clean and the staff was extremely helpful. Arrived at the hotel around 10:00 am and was able to immediately check in. After checking out, I noticed I had been charged for both nights when I was supposed to split the cost with family. Front desk staff was very helpful in correcting the billing issue.

great visit to nice city

quite expensive, but probably not too bad for city centre asked for king bed and got 2 queen beds

location great easy to find from T underground

More expensive than central NYC.

Very expensive for a not particularly big room. Reluctant to serve food on a Sunday.

Near to Boston Common and South station, not too far from other heritage sites. Food good.

farther away than we like to stay and the beds were too small, but busy time of year
    • City View Two Double Beds

Beds were really too small, we couldn't find any with queens or kings because it was too busy that weekend but we paid almost 1500$ for a 3 day stay and the beds weren't much bigger than twins

starbucks connected to the hotel

Our room was huuuggge!
    • King Room - High Floor

We were a little out of the way from all the tradition tourist spots but there was easy access to the metro. There were also a few homeless shelters and hospitals around us, had I been on my own without my husband I don’t know if I would have felt safe alone or just the girls at night. Although parking was available it was pretty steep for valet nightly to be in an open parking lot with our truck easily accessible to anyone.

Our room was huuuggge! Which was amazing! The staff was super friendly and nice!

Other than the type of room, our stay was fine.
    • Quadruple Room - Disability Access

We were given a disabled room, which we didn't want, nor did we request. We were told that we got this because of booking through Booking.com, getting "what was available." They would not change.

Pillows and bed were uncomfortable.
    • City View Two Double Beds

Pillows and bed were uncomfortable. Coffee was bad, breakfast was disappointing for a $20 price tag. But I did discover that no restaurant in Boston knew how to make eggs. Walk to Panera's for better coffee and better bagels.

Booking charged me 1539.35, hotel charged over 1800. No help from either on recourse or refund.
    • Quadruple Room

Booked through booking and they charged 1539.35 but the hotel charged over 1800 and neither the booking or the hotel have helped me out. Would not use booking again

Beds are nice

Great stay.
    • Quadruple Room

The only negative for me was that the parking fee should have been included in the stay. It's already impossible to find parking in Boston.

It was walking distance to a theatre that we had tickets for. It was convenient. Room service and housekeeping was great. Front desk staff was awesome.

Wouldn't stay here again
    • City View King Bed

City view room was facing all of one building on the second floor, the floors were so creaky you can hear every little thing, room was right next to a children's park at the hotel where at 8:30 am children would start screaming and wake us everyday. Also yes there is parking in a extremely small lot with all the cars inches from eachother.

room was very clean and staff was very nice

• Quadruple Room

The water in the sink could not go down well, you over charge for parking, the alarm clock was left on by a former occupant and woke me up, also the price changed from booking to the day we arrived and they did not honor my coupon for breakfast. I will never return to this hilton

Upgrade your amenities and remove that ridiculous parking fee for guests and I'll come again
    • City View Two Double Beds

No Refrigerator, no microwave, average water pressure, cheap soap, ice machine broken during my entire stay, fire alarm set off at 3am in the morning because of illegal smoking. Sliders, salads, and burgers were less than delicious and overpriced, room charge overpriced for little amenities. $53 valet parking per night is absolutely ridiculous.

Decent location. Room service was great, room was very clean, beds and sheets were soft. TV channels were sufficient. Our AC/heater worked well. Bathroom was clean. Plenty of soft towels. Lobster Roll sandwich and Buffalo wings were great!

Good location, very clean and comfortable. Only marred by billing problem.
    • City View Two Double Beds

Finding out when we got home we had been billed twice for our stay, with neither amounts being the correct one. Hopefully being sorted by your customer relations department.

The happy, helpful staff.

Excellent hotel, wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
    • City View Two Double Beds

The wifi was fiddly to join as it has to be done through the Hilton Honours programme & was a bit patchy.

Bed was extremely comfortable, location great, just next to subway station & staff were all very helpful and friendly. There was a fire alarm during the night which was handled calmly & professionally.

Good Hotel with location but room service and restaurants need to be improve
    • City View Two Double Beds

Room service and menu should be improved and service should be better and one time served properly

Overall hotel rooms are good but breakfast and in room dinning service & menu needs to be improve

3 night stay
    • City View King Bed

The breakfast was very messy and not much on offer, which was a shame. The hotel is a bit dated and a bit dull.

Th hotel's location was fairly good. The reception, bar and bell staff were very helpful and always happy The rooms were clean and not a bad size and the room was quiet.

Good location near restaurants and not far from shops.

At the price paid you would expect free wifi and breakfast - these are things that we got as standard when we stayed in cheap motels.

Good location near restaurants and not far from shops. Next door to T station.

Disappointing end to trip in Boston
    • Quadruple Room

Property is generally a bit run down relative to the cost. Immediate local are not so nice. Bathrooms in upstairs hotel lobby locked and on key- not a nice way to treat guests. Breakfast not good relative to high cost. WiFi not useable - continuous disconnects and slow speeds......

Good location, bed comfortable. Ability to print boarding passes appreciated!!

Enjoyed seeing sights of Boston.
    • Quadruple Room - Disability Access

Was not informed on booking of the $50 per day "surety" that would be debited to my credit card. Informed at check in. Still have not that amount credited back.

Staff were very friendly and helpful.

- location is very good
    • City View Two Double Beds

- parking is very expensive, but there were no much other options in the surroundings

- location is very good - staff very helpful and provided me a microwave in the room so I could use to warm up my son's milk

Great stay at the hotel!
    • Quadruple Room

I didn't like that there was not coffee in the lobby in the morning. I don't like making coffee in the room. I need a good cup of coffee to get me going in the morning. The wait at Starbucks next door was always very long and they only had one cashier and one barista. At the Hilton Garden Inn in Emeryville, CA the lobby has coffee, and hot water for tea.

I liked that the hotel was centrally located. The chocolate chip cookies were very good. I liked that there was water and cups on the table as we returned from walking 10 miles all around Boston.

Park your own car!

The valet parking was absolutely extortionate, I could've parked myself for about 20% of the cost, but had been led to believe that there was actually parking at the hotel.

Best cookies, great bedding, very comfortable. Good location - Boston of course is very small and walkable, so perhaps that's an easy win! I love those coffee things they have, and the selection of coffees was good too.

We would go back any time to this Hotel.

The staff was friendly and helpful. The free access to the internet was of great help to us. The location was very good for us. We could walk to many areas without the use of a taxi.

The room was clean and comfotable.
    • King Suite

The cost of parking and the cost of the hotel are high.

The room was clean and comfotable. Good location was easy to walk to near by sights. The Trolly bus came right to the hotel to pick up for the tour.

An ok hotel if you are not looking for any frills.
    • City View King Bed

No concierge and front desk staff nice, but not the sharpest.....I cancelled an extra night that I had on hold due to a tropical storm at my home only to get a text about my reservation for that extra night when my flight landed. The restaurant staff mixed up several orders due to language barrier. It seemed that if you were not ordering the buffet it was more of a challenge to get your breakfast and the food could have been hotter. Shower was too small!!!

Spacious room, reasonably convenient location.

Great time in Boston!
    • Quadruple Room

T.V. was problematic but they sent IT person to fix it promptly. However it seemed to be an issue with connections with servicer. Left a suggestion that they switch to cable.

The staff was excellent and attentive. The location was very convenient. The restaurant within was also very good and affordable.

I liked the way we could order our dinner in the bar area...
    • City View King Bed

That for the price of staying there that breakfasts are not included. It doesn't have to be big just a little something.

I liked the way we could order our dinner in the bar area after having a drink we didn't have to move to the dining room.

Great stay, great accommodations, great location
    • City View Two Double Beds

The desk personnel were extremely helpful and friendly. The porter brought the bags up from parking lot, since elevator didnt work. Valet team was very friendly and informative - since I was not allowed to valet park by company vehicle. Great location, next to Children;s Hospital. Very good landmark.