Reviews of DoubleTree by Hilton Austin-University Area 3 stars

1617 North Interstate 35, Austin, TX 78702, USA

#77 of 193 hotels in Austin

Close to campus and restaurant on premise. Clean, good staff but not a very good bargain.

Price of parking, noise, limited sitting in the room. With all factored, in can stay 8 minutes north with King suite, big sitting area where you can watch TV, a large dedicated work desk, a good free breakfast, and due to parking fee - the same price.

Breakfast buffet reasonable but Denny's next door probably better for a family. Room not very large and can only watch TV from the bed which I don't like to do. Limited sitting and desk area. Had WiFi issues but staff working and resolved it. Roku hookup was difficult (bring a long power adapter). Decor was starting to date (fall apart). Bathroom large and good light except in mirror. Very clean, beds ok only, and I found it to be noisy, but I did have a poor room location near an exit used all night. Parking is $18 dollars a night. Free at a hotel less than 1 mile away. Staff is excellent.

Doubletree Austin UT so so

They promoted their digital services like crazy but none of them worked! The digital key didn't work nor did it work for me to order some snacks waiting for me in my room as i knew I would be late arriving and need a lite snack. Breakfast wss very mediocre for $15!

The pool area was clean and comfortable.

Overall the stay was great and i would return.

I didn't think it was appropriate to charge for parking after the rate that i paid. Also, i wish there was a shuttle service.

The facilities were great and were very comfortable. I would stay there again if the opportunity arises. Staff was great.

Excellent staff, and the room was quite large for a...

Unfortunately I have to give this place a lower score because of the ant infestation in the room. Thankfully they stayed on the desk, but it wasn’t nice waking up for an early flight and finding my wallet and bag I’d left on the table covered in ants.

Excellent staff, and the room was quite large for a Doubletree, and comfy bed. The location was close to the university.

Comfortable beds friendly staff, try and get a room away from the Freeway.

Staff friendly and helpful. Our first night the room was close to the freeway so we asked to be moved to a quieter room at the other side of the hotel for a last 2 nights. This was not a problem and we slept so much better.

Should have used AirBNB ....not a good experience!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and City View - Non-Smoking

# 1 - 1st night - OK - too tired to notice anything - am noticed tiny black bugs (gnats?) everywhere - night stand, desk , bathroom - contacted front desk they were not able to move us (no available rooms) they agreed to treat ...but the odor was intolerable and no ozone machine available to remove the odor - we left the door open to the hallway until lights out -so little privacy. 2nd - they touted that the rooms were newly renovated ...the leather chair at the desk was worn literally down to stuffing and the new carpet had large black spots - it looked as if someone had tracked in grease # 3 One night we stayed in and attempted to use room service - we called in our order and were advised that it would be 30 to 45 minutes (no problem) then got a call back in approx. 10 minutes - the item we ordered (pulled PORK sandwiches) was frozen and could not be thawed for several hours - NO apology just PICK something else - so we did ....and their menu has 4 different flatbread pizza offerings ....we ordered - called back we're OUT of FLATBREAD! REALLY@^&$ # 4 NO TOWEL RACKS in the newly renovated bathroom - despite the fact the little card in the bathroom promoting GREEN requests that if you choose to reuse your towels place on the towel rack.....and the list goes on ...no apologies or service recovery attempted - I'll be back in Austin but will never stay there AGAIN!

The parking was horrible it has few parking spots but that what the something minor.

The bed was very comfortable. The room was perfect to our comfort I enjoyed every bit of it! The staff they were very helpful.

I wouldn't mind living here! :)

What's not to love?

My room was very comfortable and quiet, and the bed was heavenly--I slept well. All staff members were super friendly and helpful, and the cookies were delightful!

Nothing the AC leaked bathroom was dirty shower curtain did...
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and City View - Non-Smoking

Nothing the AC leaked bathroom was dirty shower curtain did not fit the shower when you took a shower water leak everywhere yes Kitchen close at 8 very noisy neighbors then they charge us three times for the room had to call back and get that taken care of that took 2 days to do

Warm cookies on arrival.

Noise. Make sure you get room on side away from Interstate. We had two rooms. Rooms on side of Interstate hear the highway traffic. Rooms across the hallway are quiet

Warm cookies on arrival. Great service

Apart from the weather, we enjoyed Austin. But as a tourist would choose a hotel in another location
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and City View - Non-Smoking

Location required cabs to go anywhere. Lack of eating / drink options on the premises. The lobby area, while roomy and comfy, could do with a bit of a facelift.

The Denny’s diner on the premises was a godsend.

Great hotel, great beds, and great location.
    • King Room with City View - Non-Smoking

The beds are so comfortable, I finally didn't wake up with my back hurting. And the front desk was super friendly. My friends and I were really satisfied with our stay.

Only spent time in the room to sleep, wake up, and head home. Beds are nice and rooms were clean.

Knowing in the description that you will be charged $18 per night to park instead of finding out after arriving and spending a large sum of money for 1 night.

The beds we extremely comfortable and rooms were fairly modern.

Good overall experience

Loud and rude guests on our floor.

Front desk manager adjusted final bill after complaining about loud and rude guests on my floor the last night we were there.

The AC was HORRIBLE - it was low on the ground near the bed...

The AC was HORRIBLE - it was low on the ground near the bed and kept blowing toward us the entire night/all day. When it was on I was freezing and when it turned off I was hot. None of us liked this. PLEASE FIX AC

Excellent property within easy driving distance of major attractions. No need to get back on freeway

Just a Denny's Restaurant within walking distance. No grocery stores.

Great area with easy access to University of Texas, Capital Building, and downtown Austin.

It couldn't have been any better. We Loved it!

Need to up date your photos on the website.

The place was amazing, I would stay there again. The pictures on the website don't do justice for the hotel at all. On the website it makes the place look out dated. I was really impressed when I got there.

Ants on pillow. Thank you.

There were ants in my room when I woke up the next morning all over my phone. Not something present to wake up to.

The staff was helpful, breakfast was yummy

Perfect location for UT swim meets.

No downstairs buffet breakfast. This usually works best for us due to the early rush to get out & the boys not knowing what they want until they see it.

The beds we're comfortable. The bathroom is spacious. The TV was great & easy for the kids to connect to for gaming. We were in town for a swim meet so all this is important to us for the downtime to rest between sessions. The location can't be best because it's less than a 10 minute walk to the UT pool & keeps us from dealing with the downtown parking.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

Great for get-a-way weekend.
    • King Room Hearing Accessible - Non-Smoking

Hotel was filled up and so was the parking lot. It was hard for us the access the hotel from the interstate being that we are not familiar with the area.

Clean room with great bed. Friendly reception staff that gave good directions to the tourist sites. Located next door to a Denny's that was open for a late dinner.

Needs an updated
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and City View - Non-Smoking

The rooms are dated. Had musty odor I stayed for Mother's Day weekend there was not pool service. Hard to find someone to wait on you.

The valet staff were quick and friendly The cookies of coarse :)

Terrible Sales Team
    • King Room with City View - Non-Smoking

I was in Austin with my daughters swim team for a swim meet at UT. The pool at UT broke so the meet was moved to San Antonio - 2 hours away. The Hotel would not let us out of our contract, forcing us to travel 4 hours a day with 16 high school teenagers. These kids came to compete and were too exhausted each day from the lack of sleep from all the driving. They had a terrible time and we will never use this hotel again.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

Poor
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

Lounge didn't open until 4pm so upon arrival I could not relax and have a drink, or even a cup of coffee.. because there were no available rooms for early check in as I requested months prior to my arrival. The location of the hotel is not really close to anything and is in a bad area of town, lots of homeless people begging. I suggest not walking in the area. pool was freezing cold, and dirty. For people traveling to a warmer climate from the east coast this was unacceptable, it was 80 degrees out there at the time I stayed. The last two days there was a sewer like smell through out the hotel. I will not stay here again if I ever travel to Austin I will be staying in a nicer hotel with more options, better location and a friendlier staff.

comfortable beds

Nice stay in Austin

Self-parking on-site should be free of charge. Not soundproof. Can hear elevator bell and noisy highway.

Good location, big comfy room, nice little gym and pool.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

The room was very nice and clean.

The issue we had was that the room was close to the elevator and we could hear the "DING" of the elevator floor arrival all night long. But wait! there's more! The garbage collection came at midnight to dump the dumpsters! Really, are we hiding bodies? Why would the waste company come at such an hour and then the drivers feel they needed to have a conversation loud enough to penetrate the walls of the hotel?

The room was very nice and clean. The bed was great and had a memory foam top (from what I could tell) making for a great rest.

• Reviewed: 18 November 2016

Helpful staff, I really much appreciated that

No big complaints! Only that it's not so easy to get around by foot, but I found my way to the centre/University area in the end

Helpful staff, I really much appreciated that

Pre-stay paperwork seems more important than a good experience.

Called me minutes before I was leaving for the airplane for a CC issue that they were unable to resolve even with updated information. They indicated things would be fine once I arrived, so I'm really not sure why they panicked me as I was leaving. They almost ended up having my CC shut off for fraud detection because they kept running the old number, not the one I gave them. The staff once I arrived were great, but it was a big hole to dig out from. I'm an HHonors member and have stayed at this hotel dozens of times. They didn't treat me as if any of that was the case.

Location, location, location

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and City View - Non-Smoking

The hotel was very close to the University that my daughter and I toured.

Great hotel.

For a concert and see something different.

No having microwave

Service in rooms and location it's perfect

Perfect Location.

No complaints.

Cleanliness.

Made it okay to be away from home because of the welcoming atmosphere and excellent accommodations!
    • King Room with City View - Non-Smoking

There was nothing not to like!

Quiet, clean, accessible, near the university.....warm cookies!!!

Price of room was more a resort charge and the hotel did not have a lot of amenities.

Bathroom door squeaked.

Stayed for the I heart country festival and the hotel made the whole trip!!

Cant complain about anything!

Restaurant not available for some nights, bar ran out of...

Restaurant not available for some nights, bar ran out of glasses

Had a great stay and will defiantly stay at this hotel again if we are in the area.
    • King Room with City View - Non-Smoking

Room was clean, staff was friendly and knowledgeable about the area, where to eat and how to get there!

very plestant

every thing was fine

good overall service would stay there again

UTAustin

very good
    • King Room with City View - Non-Smoking

elevator to slow, we did not have bottles of water at the room, even if we have hilton number

confort cleanlines

Great location and staff

That they charge for parking now

Great location and staff

enjoyed visiting austin

needed to use car as main town 30mins walk away and walking under freeway to get there

rooms clean and comfortable

parking fee

parking fee

Booked for the cookies and they did not disappoint! I'll be back!

Clean room and comfy bed! Super nice staff - very helpful!

The room stink

The room stink

We liked the friendly receptionist.

We liked the friendly receptionist.

We had a great time in Austin!

Everything was fine.

The room was very comfortable and clean.

Adequate

There was no one heping with the luggage

It was nice

All were nice staff

We requested a king bed and received two queen beds with no...
    • King Room Hearing Accessible - Non-Smoking

We requested a king bed and received two queen beds with no option to upgrade due to availability. The room felt dirty.

Nice enough hotel. Very nice staff. Clean. Walking distance to Frank Erwin Center.

Wierd. Got a pot of coffee for room service breakfast, but no cups. Used the paper ones from the room.

Great coffee and cookies!

Nice hotel
    • King Room Hearing Accessible - Non-Smoking

Customer service. One receptionist never said hello. Spent one night not sleeping due to a tree rubbing against the wall vwry noicy.

Warm cookies.

Comfortable room, nice outdoor pool, very friendly and...

Minimal meal options for vegetarian/vegan preferences

Comfortable room, nice outdoor pool, very friendly and helpful staff

Location to university and hot cookies

Continued knocking on door by housekeeping day of checkout

Location to university and hot cookies Restroom was nice The mirror was honest

Excellent location.

Wi-fi was a little weak

Excellent location. Clean. Comfortable.

Overall we had a great stay. We always stay at doubletree hotels whenever possible and this was anot

The bed was really comfortable and the bartender was awesome. His name was Richie I believe. Great service and personality.

Ridiculous

Paying to park at a hotel you have already purchased a room at in ridiculous. Parking should be free when purchasing a room.

Good value close to UT

It's on opposite side of highway

Comfortable, friendly staff, walking distance to campus

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Spacious rooms with really helpful staff.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

There was nothing negative about this hotel.

Spacious rooms with really helpful staff. The food in the hotel was nice and reasonably priced too.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

The staff was great and very friendly.

The staff was great and very friendly. Our stay was better than we ever expected. Love the free bike was that they had set up.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

Great place to stay

The room service for breakfast was a little expensive. However there's a Denny's in the parking lot which is awesome.

Rooms were very nice!

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

Great place to stay for Frank Erwin events!

Nothing at all.

The room was very clean, check-in was seamless, and the staff was welcoming and helpful.

Firm bed and pillows too much for us.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Short stay in Austin

A little isolated but we knew that when we booked.

Friendly staff and good food.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

Complimentary warm cookie.

Complimentary warm cookie. Everything was faultless

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

Great location!

the location was great. Hotels in Austin are expensive normally. this was a great value for the money.

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

Great location to downtown Austin

I would like to see a bedsheet underneath the comforter cover.

Wonderful staff, nice room, nice amenities

• Reviewed: 14 December 2016

Superb staff

Staff were fantastic so helpful and friendly . Bed was very comfortable and hotel exceptionally clean

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

Nice
    • King Room with City View - Non-Smoking

Very clean, comfortable up to date facilities.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

Excellent & very comfortable

Did not have breakfast at hotel

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

A/C too hot then too cold.

A/C too hot then too cold. Tv access horrible. Shower door broken. Room smelled like smoke. Poor accommodations.

Ac did function well.
    • King Room with City View - Non-Smoking

Ac did function well. Room had a horrible smell

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

Very close to Erwin Center.

Parking $15 a day

Very close to Erwin Center. Perfect if going to a show there.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

Paying for parking $15 a night at hotel.

Paying for parking $15 a night at hotel.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2016

Staff very friendly, helpful.

Restaurant slow to deliver dinner. Seemed to take a long time considering there were few diners.

Staff very friendly, helpful. Bill Shay, Sherry, Guillermo all great.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2016

The staff was excellent, I liked everyone I delt with.

The water in the showers actually got cold upon use more than once(a friend of mine was in another room had the same problem) . The pool was small and I was a little disappointing there was not hot tub.

The staff was excellent, I liked everyone I delt with.

There are also 65 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.