Reviews of Hotel Karlan San Diego - a DoubleTree by Hilton 4 stars

14455 Penasquitos Drive, Poway, CA 92129, USA

#2 of 5 hotels in Poway

We loved it! Very clean and comfortable

Pay for parking every night

Very clean room, bed, and bathroom -spacious -comfortable beds and pillow -beautiful bathroom -great location (quiet and surrounded by greenery but close enough to freeway access to go around San Diego) -

Very relaxing
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

The pool was way smaller than I expected and lots of noise early morning from the guests in the grass and the staff passing by repeatedly in gas powered utilitie/golf carts

Very relaxing

Not at all what it’s cracked up to be

We stayed in a ‘casita’. The idea was sold to us because we were told it was a bit more secluded, away from the main hotel. We were told he’d give us one close by, with a nice balcony so we can enjoy sitting out there with a view. Oh and there’s no elevator, but about 4 steps up, is that ok? Sure we said, 4 steps is no big deal. Now for the truth, it was a trek to our room from the check in desk, it was not 4 steps up, but 20 steps! Our balcony over looked the parking lot and the dumpster, which we could smell! We heard road noise all night long and loud birds before the crack of dawn. There were 2 other rooms in the same casita and could hear their doors slamming every time they left. The bed was awful with a huge dent in the center and the pillows were even worse. I barely slept the whole time we were there. In the closet on the upper shelf was a dirty towel with gross brown stuff all over it, I believe it was shoe polish, but who knows. And the kicker was when we checked in we were chatting with the guy about having flown in from out of town and not having a car. When I received my email receipt, (we left too early in the morning to go check out personally) there was nearly $30 of parking charges on there! I was going to keep quiet until that. But the whole experience was pretty terrible, especially for $400+ for 2 nights!!! We were disappointed and won’t stay there again. Which is unfortunate because I visit the area often and was looking for a regular place to stay.

Bar and restaurant on site Centrally located Near stores and restaurants Nice looking pool, cabanas Seems very nice upon check in

It's a nice place to stay, but it doesn't feel like there's an effort to keep things nice.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Patio

The room smelled strange and maybe a little stale. Maybe it's the carpets? They were stained and old-looking. I had to ask twice to get an ironing board that worked. The coffee maker broke the last morning. I was upset about the man who brought his pit bull into the pool enclosure, but I was happy that the hotel staff took care of the problem. I was upset that the man had his pit bull off-leash not only then, but at other times on hotel property (perhaps staff was not aware?). I was upset to find out that we were charged for parking. I was not aware there was a parking fee. It hardly seems necessary, given the location and the ample parking. I'll certainly think twice about staying there again now that I know that. Other hotels in the area have free parking.

Nice location, away from the freeway, lots of greenery. Very pretty grounds.

Great property and service

Bummed that in hot tub, two guys were there who said they snuck in the side gate to use it. This is always a difficult situation to deal with because we paid and they didn't and I'm not going to confront people like that. Once we got out we went to complain to front desk who took care of it immediately.

I loved to hear all the birds chirping from our room and walking around the well groomed property. It makes a big difference to feel like I'm in nature and enhanced our stay. Room was nice and big and extremely well decorated in a minimalist style. Service at front desk and the bar was exceptional, really was treated like an esteemed client.

would recommend and stay again. Didn't disappoint and met my expectations

For the price include breakfast! Would have preferred a room with a view. Free parking - although ours was waved.

The room was spacious. Bed was comfy. Furniture was nice and updated. Room was clean. Water and cookies provided were awesome and delicious.

Easy, nice, private, quiet.

Overall very happy. Needed to call to find non-down-feather pillows (allergic), but that's pretty standard.

There is a main complex then a bunch of smaller groupings of rooms (almost like bungalows in sets of 4) and it's really nice to be spread out, have some space and privacy!

Our stayed could’ve exceeded expectations but the traffic noise was a little uncomfortable

The overall stay was great except the location of our room. I woke up a few times during the night because I could hear the freeway and the cars driving down the street.

The hotel room was nice and clean. The room was spacious and up to date and we also liked that you guys followed through with our request of the balcony and microwave.

Great time! Loved the cookies!

I didn’t love the walk all the way to the back to the rooms. There isn’t much anyone can do about that but my only big complaint.

The room was very clean, and updated

5.5
    Location was great but service was spotty...won’t be going back

The housekeeping was spotty, bathroom sink wasn’t working (told housekeeping and it took 3 days before it was fixed), there were days no trash was picked up (had to start leaving it outside the room for them), had to hunt down housekeeping for fresh towels and coffee pods since no one came to our room or if they did it was just them making the bed. Our sheets had a pee stain the day we checked in. It was gross.

Front desk staff was very nice and helpful. Was able to get side by side rooms with family. Plus they gave us fresh cookies when we checked in. The location was great.

Overall I liked the location which was good for both Sea World and The Safari Park.

I wasn’t too thrilled with the prices at the Pub & Restaurant. For a family of 4 for dinner with tip came to $96, and two of the kids got kids meals. A bit pricey I think. Although the tacos were good the rice was not! Also the pool area seldom had towels stocked and I would have to ask for towels for the pool and once for my room. The pool was a little dirty and the facility looked like it could use a makeover. Then I found out that someone else used Priceline.com and got a much more reasonable rate and about %40 less than I paid. That’s ok I realize that’s my fault for not doing my homework, but I won’t be staying there again at the rate I paid. It’s just too much for what you get. Also I was to have reserved a top unit and was placed on the bottom floor and could constantly hear the people and children above me all hours of the day and night. This place definitely needs a makeover and then maybe they can charge the price they do!

I like the pool area and the property location. Also the staff is really nice and attentive.

Comfortable and relaxing-perfect for pets.
    • King Room with Patio

Everything met or exceeded my expectations.

The rooms were clean and spacious. The staff was friendly and helpful. There was lots of space to walk my dog and the patio area was perfect for pets,

Despite the minor annoyances, we really liked the hotel grounds, restaurants and location.

Extra fee for parking, our room #521 was not well maintained. After checking in, we had to call the front desk to have the balcony screen door (would not slide) repaired, the tiny balcony was cluttered with debris (not cleaned), some moulding on a corner was hanging (required glue) off and the alarm clock could not be adjusted for correct time (only personnel could do it!). The young man cleaning the pool at 8 am yesterday was rude and requires customer service training. Also, although we were staying 2 nights, our room was not serviced and we had to call for service.

The contemporary, clean decor, comfortable bed, two vanities, spacious room, excellent breakfast, fitness room, hot tub and easy location to great plaza and highway.

Very nice property, the set up makes you feel like you’re...
    • King Room with Balcony

No microwave in the room and the ax unit a little out dated, however if you’re staying for consecutive days you can request to have a microwave sent to your room!

Very nice property, the set up makes you feel like you’re staying in apartments or condos. Very home like.

Parking not included!!!
    • King Room with Balcony

I was surprised when my credit card was charged nearly $15 for parking. I was not informed in advance of the charge. Parking should always be included in the price of the room. The room did not have a DVD player.

We enjoyed are stay immensely.

We enjoyed are stay immensely. The only negative was the bathroom was very cold. Didn't help that we came on the days when San Diego was having the coldest weather that they seen in years. We will be back.

Nice room.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Bath Tub - Disability Access

Dan at the front desk was rude and accused me for defrauding for some reason. They also gave me the wrong room type twice before finally getting it right.

Nice room. Decent breakfast

Lucky to still have my passport
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Hearing Accessible

This trip I arrived back at the hotel to find my room open. The latch mechanism failed and housekeeping failed to notice it after cleaning the room. The desk was apologetic but overall nonplussed about the issue. It is getting a bit rough at the edges.

I have stayed here at least 7 times and I will return because it’s convenient for my needs and reasonably priced on booking.com The rooms are nice, sufficiently spacious with comfortable pillows and bedding. Staff is usually very good

My husband and I are very pleased with the cleanliness and service we were provided by Ruaa! Thanks

After checking we were given the most delicious chocolate chip cookies! Once we arrived in our room I felt as if I were at home the room was very spacious and clean. Breakfast was great, I personally appreciated that Asado(the restaurant) serves fresh diced fruit. Yogurt with granola and of course eggs, juice, and coffee

Great comfortable stay. I would recommend this hotel.

I don't like to sleep on fluffy pillows- I need some support on my neck. This hotel doesn't have elevators but it's not too much of a bother because there are only two stories. I think it would benefit everyone if the signs were lit up. It's very hard to see at night.

The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was larger than most other hotel rooms. I like how each room has a balcony/patio. The neighborhood is quiet and safe.

Overall quite nice but nothing special, for the money I must be content, happy I’m not.

The staff overall is good but is weakening. I won’t mentioned Dan by name but he seems to have a chip on his shoulder about being pleasant, making eye contact and basically working this job. He is not overtly rude but puts out the vibe “I don’t really care, leave me alone, I like my job except for you.” He has been the morning front desk person for as long as I have been going to the property and the only change I can see is he now cares even less about being available, helpful let alone caring, cordial let alone courteous and professional. Example, coffee service in the lobby has be come sloppy to begin with, no napkins and no one come by to freshen up and clean up minor spills for example kinda how I think of a motel 6. Each of 7 mornings they ran out coffee, every morning of my 7 night stay. Yesterday I was frustrated as I really wanted coffee that morning. I informed Dan the urn was empty and he somehow acknowledged he heard with a grunt or a umh, no eye contact, it was unpleasant and certainly uncaring, he was nonplused by the situation with no concern that guests coming for their morning coffee are met with no coffe, no explanation no apology. After informing the front desk, Dan, about the empty urn I went to work on one of the two house computer, both on their last legs crashing and freezing, basically unusable, as I waited for a fresh urn of coffe. Over the course of the next 25 minutes I chose to inform 10 or 12 guests that the desk, Dan specifically, had been informed the coffee had run out over 20 minutes ago. It finally arrived after 20 - 25 minutes of waiting. This morning was my last morning, and there was hot coffee waiting, ahh how sweet. I checked out and as I arrived at my car in the outdoor on property parking lot I notice Dan was arriving to work and parking in one of the top spots in the entire lot.

I have stayed here 5 or more times, it is the most convenient for my needs so when the price point is better than Rancho Bernardo Inn, a much nicer property but less convenient, I chose this property. So convenience when coupled with a great price point.

Convenient to the 15!

What’s not to love!! Warm cookies any time!!! Beautiful, delicious and plentiful hot buffet! Breakfast!!

Convenient to the 15! Headed home from a great vacay in San Diego

The beds are very comfortable!

It would be nice if there were breakfast buffet options included for all room packages rather than a select few.

The beds are very comfortable! The little walkout patios/balconies are nice too.

Helpful staff made the difference for this stay.

On-site parking charges - not a welcome surprise.

The staff really worked with us to accommodate senior handicapped close by to our room and our additional senior members to an access room close by the elevator. The business center became a family meeting spot with the board table and seating.

Nice hotel for a good price

The room was very good, but there were often plates/glasses left lying around in the outside corridors.

Breakfast didn't appeal to anyone outside the US.

Friendly staff but disappointing facility
    • King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

I didn't get a king with bathtub even though I confirmed only days prior I got 2 queen beds so couldn't share with partner and floors are VERY thin so we were kept up all night with guest above us pacing.

Friendly staff always smiling.

nice place,very quite and value the money

the clean house ask for cleaning several times although we ask her to come later the cleaning after room service is not good, the thing stayed outside the room to long

the rooms are big and the bed was comfy

PLEASE see liked as disliked problems with the hotel
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

We liked the private patio

The property was not handicapped friendly Our family in California couldn't Visit our hotel Family is in their 90's the stairs were up and down and no straight line They were maze like to travel from one side to the restaurant and bar almost Four blocks and slopes wouldn't let us have family in 90's visit Also showers were large but no bench for elderly to sit down shower Needed portable chair in shower Also we couldn't find so!e of the family that also stayed at the same hotel because of the maze design... This was what we disliked not liked

Excellent service and food.

The hotel did not honor the price we got thru Booking.com. We had to negotiate the room charge to get closer to the discount.

Very courteous and accommodating staff.

Hotel Karlan San Diego - a DoubleTree by Hilton

I did not like that, when showering, the water would not go down the drain, and would fill up with water. We also found some type of tiny bug on our bed, which looked something like a bed bug. Location was not very convenient, it is far from main attractions.

It is located in a nice area.

Good enough

We requested an early check-in (11:00am) upon booking and when we arrived at 12:00pm we were told that our room would not be available for another hour and a half due to many customers requesting a late check-out. We were offered to stay in the pool area until our room was ready but only after we asked, "Is there somewhere we can stay while we wait?". The breakfast buffet was quite limited for the price ($19). The towels at the pool area would run out and no one came to replenish. I recall hearing one of the guests calling the front desk for more towels and 2 hours later no one had come to bring any. The bathroom in the room lacked towel hooks/racks. There were 5 of us in the room and there was 1 hook. We had to hang our towels outside on the chairs of the patio to dry in order to re-use them. It would've been more convenient to just order fresh towels everyday; although, that wouldn't be environmentally friendly.

After an hour and a half of waiting for our room, we were told that because we've been so patient we were given a few comps :). Our server from the Asado Grill was very nice and even made our boys awesome hot chocolates with tons of whipped cream and chocolate drizzle. The hotel was near many good restaurants and stores. It was walking distance to a 7 Eleven where we walked every morning to get coffee.

Not worth it
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

The staff were unbelievably rude and unhelpful the entire time. I had booked three rooms for Comic Con for my 20th Century Fox & MGM production team. The staff were not accommodating for late arrivals, etc., and when one of the team missed the check-in, no one called and the room was given away. Understand how that happens, but when we tried to come up with solutions the staff, esp the lobby/front rep was so rude that I had two young production interns close to tears. When we called down for anything extra, staff/management were spectacularly unhelpful. Booking.com was AMAZING but I will not recommend Hotel Karlan. And here is the kicker: I live here in Penasquitos and make recommendations all the time.

The rooms and the pool were clean and comfortable.

Nice time in San Diego

The cleaning staff were not consistent. Missed our room two days in a row and only did a fair job on the third day. FYI you need to get better toilet. American standard is the best

The warm cookies

Wonderful grounds, great staff, definitely will stay again

Chambermaid didn't replace items (eg toilet paper!!)

Great staff, helpful and cheery. Peaceful grounds in a great area close to shopping and a variety of restaurants. Asado Grill onsite offers great food/value. Thanks Jesus and Anthony for finding my earring!!!

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Excellent stay just dont forget anything important they wont give it back

I left a watch that was important to me in the safe, i called back 2x to find it and was told they would call me back but they never did..really disapointing and out a watch my grandpa gave me

That we could have our dogs there

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

Nice Stay
    • King Room with Balcony

First day there I asked about shuttle service. The front desk person told us they can shuttle us anywhere within 5 miles. Later around 8 pm, we asked if we could be shuttled to bowling alley. They told us no shuttle person is available.Hmmmm

I like that all the rooms have a balcony, the super comfy beds and the shuttle service to Carmel Mountain Ridge and yummy cookie offered when we arrived

I don't know why the hotel first give me a room...

I don't know why the hotel first give me a room haven't been cleaned. My wife and I was shock by this. We have booked for 2 days for new year holiday. but we still check out on 2nd day.

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

Beautiful Friendly Resort
    • King Room with Balcony

Mattress wasn't as supportive as ours at home and could feel every movement my spouse made.

Rooms feel like studio apartments,spacious and beautifully renovated. Loved having a separate vanity from the toilet/shower room. Each encounter with the staff was exceptional!

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Front desk was extremely accommodating and friendly.

Room service forgot my juice that came with my breakfast and when I called they said they ran out but did not substitute it initially until I called. Then, they were very gracious and brought it up.

Front desk was extremely accommodating and friendly.

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

Not much.
    • King Room with Patio

Nothing really. Property is advertised as having a golf course. Golf course has been closed for two years. It is fenced off all the grass is brown. The pool was filthy could not use it. Looked like there was poop in the bottom of the pool. We had our 4 year old with us and we expected to be able to take her swimming. The food was OKAY from the restaurant, if they didn't forget half your order. I would have rather stayed at the Best western in Poway. When we talked to the manager we were supposed to get a credit for our room service charges of $93.67. We were charged instead. When I called the hotel to inquire about it I was told there weren't any notes on the system and the manager would have to call me back. Receipt that I received when we checked out showed a negative amount and I verified that this was a credit. Do not stay here!!!

Not much.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

The kitchen staff delivered room service in good time,...
    • King Room with Balcony

The kitchen staff delivered room service in good time, problem was they just couldn't seem to stop by and pick up the tray even after I called twice. Seems the first night the housekeepers put the tray outside and raccoons got into it, I put the tray back in the room, then called again. The tray was still in the room the day I checked out.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

very nice. I will stay here again!
    • King Room with Balcony

the name is double tree, but couldn't see any signs for doubletree. The hotel said Kastan or Kaplain hotel. Confusing. But once I found the entrance it was fine.

nice large room, very comfortable

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Not Worth Re-Visiting

The card keys did not work. I had to drive back up to the office, then wait behind another person for about 14 minutes as my wife waited at the door to our hotel room. Very poor that the lady working that day did not ask if everything was okay! The breakfast restaurant had a dirty table where we sat. Then, after looking at $20 a person for breakfast, we got up and left. The rooms do not have ice readily available. The bathroom floor was dirty. There were not enough towels in the room. We wanted to clean up before dinner. After waking up in the morning, we had wet towels to attempt to dry with after our morning showers. The cleaning crew did not start cleaning our room until 4:25pm We got a feeling that the reason why the rooms were discounted when we made reservations is that there are not a lot of people interested in coming back

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Deep Disappointment.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

The website noted golf. The golf course was closed permanently. Golf clubs were packed for the trip and were not used. One of the pools also closed. The shower had a crack wherein ants and spiders entering. I travel a great deal for business. These accommodations very sub standard for Double Tree. The outlet in the restroom did not work. Unable to use the blow dryer etc. Very disappointing.

Location only.

This hotel is great just needs an upgrade on wif.

The wifi was terrible. Then the tech guy couldn't help us hook up the Xbox. We eventually got it but on our own, but even then we could watch Netflix or anything because the wifi was so slow.

The staff is incredibly nice. Hotel was nice and clean. The area around is very nice also.

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

OK

Advertised golf resort but the golf course closed over a year ago. I would think that the advertisements and facility signs should be revised to reflect that it IS not a golf resort.

The room was spacious

• Reviewed: 12 August 2016

Nice

We asked NOT for a balcony. Because of stairs. We we checked in they had a Balcony room for us! Not to good for a start. But they did give us one on the first floor. Whew! Thank you!

The bed was comfy! Thank you!

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

Great stay!!
    • King Room with Balcony

We were satisfied with everything. Any issues we had were resolved perfectly with the help of the desk staff. Thank you all

The desk staff were really great taking care of all our concerns. Especially loved the bed, the pool, and the size of the room and balcony. Location off the I 15 is perfect for going everywhere in the San Diego area.

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

Awesome spacious room and overall a really nice hotel
    • King Room with Balcony

Pillows were uncomfortable and the staff weren't very friendly, apart from the restaurant/bar staff who really looked after us.

The room was very large and nicely decorated and the bed was huge and comfy. Loved the pool area.

Interesting
    • King Room with Patio

If patios had more light and mosquito nets for customers to sit outside night time for longer period time.

The rooms with patio access

Was excellent I highly recommend this place

The daily charge on parking. First time ever been charge at any facility

Location, room better than expected

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

Dirty and outside was crutty

Nothing. Dreary

Everything was very comfortable

Everything was very comfortable

Ambiance
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Patio

Ambiance

Everything was great!

Farther from beach than I would like.

Everything was great!

Passing by

It was quite

To small for my family,many things were falling and I had pay less for a bigger room (parking location)

It exceeded our expectation.

Excellent value for the money

Happy and friendly place

A little noise on Saturday before Easter Sunday but it was comprehend

Comfortable clean pretty room very convenient close to main desk 👌🏻

Best stay ever

Every thing

Wild price swings.

Wild price swings. For example, in one week the price jumped 50%.

We would return another time.

The bed was not very comfortable. There was someone else’s hair in the shower and on the bathroom counter.

Delicious cookies!

Great family weekend at the Karlan
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

Great hotel. Staff was outstanding. Our room was very nice and the family enjoyed the pool

Loved it!

Spacious rooms

wonderful pool.

small elevator. no way to go from lobby to first floor without taking elevator

wonderful pool. housekeeping missed us one day.

Renovations

Night staff. No personality

Renovations

Staff was very accommodating especially Jonel!

Staff was very accommodating especially Jonel!

Would stay again

Nothing everything was fantastic

Location, cleanliness and comfortable, great staff and restaurants

new

new

Clean and the location is perfect

The hairdryer

Clean and the location is perfect

Staff really helpful

Too far from SD

Staff really helpful

Comfortable, very pleasant and efficient
    • King Room with Balcony

Quite a long walk from car park to the room.

Staff friendly and helpful Facilities very good

Nice rooms and facilities, about 25 minute drive to downtown...

Nice rooms and facilities, about 25 minute drive to downtown San Diego. Bar and restaurant were so-so

Beautiful,facility.Hard to get around in.

Access to rooms involved a lot of stair climbing.hotel was cut out from side of a mountian.It is hard for elderly to navigate the hotel.

All around very nice