Reviews of DoubleTree by Hilton Houston Downtown 3 stars

400 Dallas Street, Downtown Houston, Houston, TX 77002-4777, USA

#149 of 389 hotels in Houston

The ironing board was broken and the iron did not work-! The lamps had plugs which were great but it did not work-!!! The only lamp with plugs that worked was on the desk far away from the bed-!!! The air con did not really work well too. But the staff was amazing

The room didn’t come with a refrigerator for our drinks and food. It was a very small room and you HAD to pay for parking almost $40... definitely not worth the money at all for the room. The decor looks very old and dirty and there were stains on the lamps and the toilet was dirty, the shower had other people’s hair in it and the room looked like it was from the 90’s. The holiday inn is cheaper and much much nicer. This hotel looks nice in pictures but the rooms aren’t that great.

The facility is dated with the room equipped with torn furniture, despite the great and convenient location of the hotel. The carpet and the toilet look like something from the 60s, need replacement immediately. I was also charged security deposit without it been mentioned. I don't know what they want secure. No one in their right mind will take anything from this hotel. The building needs refurbishment or pulled down to make way for another.

The workers are great and the food is reasonable.

Rude staff, terrible service, lacking in amenities, bad lighting in the rooms, poor quality towels and lacking in bathroom amenities...also, overpriced forced valet parking. The whole place is far too expensive for what you get. Not even breakfast is included in the ridiculous price!

• Corner King Room - Non-Smoking

The room was misleading from the photos. The hotel was NOT as seen on photos on line. VERY MISLEADING. The room was VERY SMALL. The furniture was OLD & WORN DOWN. Very unpleasant. Also there was NO LIGHTNING. The room only came with 3 small table lamps. First time staying at a DOUBLETREE and was very unpleasant. Not your regular Doubletree BRAND. Needs updating.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The forced valet,, and the guide channel button on my room remote didn't work at all,, had to keep turning on and off the TV for the guide channel. Also the shuttle traffic was so unorganized he takes one person or crowd at a time instead of having a system where he'd have a schedule because it's unsafe and illegal for him to be answering and talking on the phone while driving.

It was really nice and clean,, very homey and staff was very welcoming. We didn't go to the bar area but the lobby was really nice and big lots of seating space. Elevators aren't slowly moving through floors so your not waiting super long for an elevator.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Quite an abrupt waiter in the restaurant but I think the language barrier may have been part of the problem. We would have appreciated more gluten free options on the menu.

Super comfy beds! Really friendly reception staff and the free cookie on arrival was much appreciated and a lovely gesture. The crabtree and evelyn toiletries were fab!

The facility was very worn and dated. Carpets dirty, walls dirty, outdated rooms, extremely over priced parking for guests at $35 at night!

The pillows were nice and the sheets clean.

I have no complaints or recommendations

I did not eat out of the restaurant. The bed I slept in was very comfortable and the pillows were just what I needed. I like firm pillows and I had them. I really appreciate the shuttle service to my event.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

there was no public parking in the hotel, you either have to pay for Valet which was about $40 or park in a public garage and pay for that

Loved the pretty amazing view and the lobby area was just beautiful

Our 2nd room wasn't ready when we checked in. They said they would text us when it was ready. We never received the text and when I went back to the front desk, they said the supervisor hadn't inspected the room. The maids had been cleaning the room 2 hours before and it should have been inspected after all that time. We never connected to Wi-Fi and when we called, we were put on hold for 5 minutes and we hung up. We could not answer the phone, the button was stuck. The electrical outlet where the coffee make was plugged in, did not work. The toilet was not very clean.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The room really need to upgrade. It's not worth the price of Hilton. No pool, no fridge in hot Houston. Parking is expensive.

Friendly staff. Fast elevator. The room is clean, quite. AC works very well. TV works. Although valet parking is expensive, it's easy to get your car. Everybody just need send message before taking cars.

Only the pillows lol. I guess I’m used to mine. Other than that everything was perfect.

Great hotel, very friendly staff. I will definitely be coming back. I loved the cookies they give you, they are the best!!!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Pay for WiFi, request of standard amenities: refrig microwave power outlet to charge device One of the managers was RUDE. Concierge was NEVER available and long wait at front desk. Housekeeping didn't refresh our room until after 1 pm - hire more staff to have all rooms cleaned by noon.

Location. Some staff members were friendly. Quiet. The view. Bed comfortable.

We didn't have a fridge because neither me nor my boyfriend knew it was something we had to request. I also really wish there was parking on the property was free parking on the property

Oh my goodness, the bed was MAGICAL. I never sleep well and I slept all night without getting up! The view was extremely beautiful for my first evening downtown.

this was our 38th wedding anniversary and we had reservations at a restaurant at 7 pm. We called down at about 6 pm and asked if cabs were available; as the restaurant was only 10 minutes away, we were told to come down at around 6.40 pm. When we got there, we were told that the taxi company had been called. We waited until 7 pm and finally asked for our car to be brought around. This took about 10 minutes. We were late to the restaurant and only just in time before our seats were to be given away to someone else. We have traveled extensively and all the large hotels we have stayed at have a line of taxis outside the hotel from about 6 o'clock onwards - obviously prime time for people to go out. If this is not possible, there should be a reliable contact at a cab company that can ensure that if a cab is called, it will be there within 15 minutes. This almost ruined our night. It was very hard for me to get the time off work to plan this and it was very important. Dr Sue Miller

the breakfast was good, but it took several phone calls to get the order in.

• Corner King Room - Non-Smoking

This hotel is dated, tattered and ratty. Furniture was falling apart, including the trim on the upholstery. The bathrooms were moldy, I did not take a shower because of this. The only saving grace was the incredible view. I think they are up for a redo. Also, very strange reception that was two steps up with no ramp to haul luggage.

Parking was expensive and we called from the hotel to have our car ready at 3:40pm. It didn't arrive until 4:15pm. Guests who walked out of the hotel requesting there car were given there car before us. There is a lot of road noise that can be heard even on the 17th floor.

It's old and dated. Pillows were flat. 1 towel, 1 hand towel, no washcloths 2nd day. Asked for more ... never received. No shampoo items 2nd day either. Issues with getting shuttle.

It wasn't what we expected.

Shower only had luke warm water, some power outlets did not work, furniture was chipped, etc...

Bed was very comfortable and the room served its purpose as a comfortable place to stay. Was not up to par with the $280 Hilton standard.

Rooms need updating.. Stayed at Hilton Americas Houston last visit. Nicer hotel, was booked up this visit.

Located close to all our activities we attended in Houston.

restaurant staff for that night was rude, and we were totally ignored by the servers. when I finally got my order chicken quesadilla, as if they poured all the salt that hey can find. I just wonder, is it because I asked if we were ever going to be serve or even if I can see a menu. needless to say my experience for food in that location was lousy.

King size bed was perfect

At restaurant staff too busy to be attentive and took too long to order and to get check on two occasions walked out of restaurant for breakfast too slow after seating

We made a reservation through booking and got there and booking didn’t send it to them so we had no reservation and was lucky a room was available

The room was nice and clean

The lady at the front desk when we initially checked in was rude. We asked about the shuttle taking us to a location where we were going to listen to music and having a few drinks and were told no by her. When we checked out the lady checking us out happened to be rude as well.

Overall it was a good stay, location was on point.

I will start off my review with something positive. The only reason I give 1 Star other than you at least have to choose 1 Star is the food is pretty palatable and most of the employees are nice and welcoming. Now moving on...I have the opportunity a few times a year to shower my husband with love and plan amazing get always that are memorable for him. This weekend is his birthday so I planned a mystery dinner that this hotel offers and a stay at what I thought would be an upscale hotel with tons of amenities. I am always willing to pay for quality and my husband is worth every penny plus more of what was paid plus this is the Hilton...I was pretty sure they are known for quality. Not the case this birthday year...we called ahead to see if we could check in early and was informed they could have a room ready in an hour and would text us when it was ready...never received the text so we didn’t check in until 3pm. No worries...busy hotel...I get it. That won’t ruin our stay...so we get checked in and they give you a warm chocolate chip cookie which truly is delectable so we are all excited going up to our room...we get out of the elevator and noted the 80’s decor but ok, the room will be awesome. We get in our room and I am flabbergasted...the room stinks, there is fabric missing off the chair, the bed dust ruffle is disgusting with stains all over it, there are knobs missing off the drawers. It seriously took me back to the days of when I could only afford a Motel 8 to stay in...so I called down to the front desk and was told to call the operator. I called the operator and explained to the lady that this was not at all my expectation of a room that I paid good money for and also told her that I would be willing to pay more for another room...she told me she would call me back...so about 40 mins later, we had to call back because we had to start getting ready for the Mystery dinner...

Absolutely nothing

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The bathroom could use some updating and I thought it was weird that there was ceiling tiles in there. But other than that it was nice.

The staff greeted us right away and were so quick. They gave us warm cookies when we checked in and they were delicious. We just got back from a cruise and we were exhausted we spent most the day in the room sleeping but we were close enough to walk to some food places. We also ordered room service that night and it was delicious! Our room was big and the bed was comfortable. Would stay here again if I’m ever in Houston.

The outlets were difficult to use to charge my different devices. Especially as I have an adaptor - it woudn't stay in the socket.

Amazing service, extremely nice room with comfy beds and everything you need.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

It could use a bit of remodelling here and there but overall pretty good.

Great location and large room with comfortable beds. The view from the room was also nice and the staff was friendly. Good value for the price, I would book again.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Hotel is old and hasn't been well-kept...old streaks of spills in elevators, walls dirty, molding and baseboards out of shape, my room had boogers on the wall, stains on the hallway carpet (which was dated), etc. For the price, I would have expected better - especially in comparison to the neighboring Hyatt, which at about the same cost, was in much better shape (I spent a lot of time there, as well, throughout the weekend).

Staff and service was fantastic; from valet, to the front desk, to the restaurant & bar! Housekeeping also tracked down an item I left behind when switching rooms...so grateful!

Bathroom was a little tired, weak shower. On the edge of downtown but easy to get Uber’s, even though some seemed to struggle with the one way street system in downtown.

Huge room with a great comfy bed. Wifi worked well. Recommend going out to Midtown and Montrose for bars, food as downtown doesn’t seem to have much happening.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Where do I start..... The lobby bar is incredibly too expensive for this level/type of hotel. $8-10 a drink I could understand, but $14 for a simple drink was comical. There is NO pool, so my kids were devastated. We had to carry our own bags to and from our room without assistance or even a cart due to not having enough and bell service. (For those that have kids, understand my frustration) Valet marketing attendants were rude, so it was hard trying to justify $34 a night for valet parking. They do not offer room service from 11am - 5pm which is so odd to me. A lot of restaurants around the hotel were closed on the weekend and very early during the week. I was not impressed at all, and will not be a returning customer. It was the little things but they all added up!! Oh yeah, they ran out of towels!!

I booked this hotel for the location. Even though the beds were small, they were very comfortable and the view was beautiful from our room.

We chose the Doubletree as we had stayed at Doubletree in Miami recently and it was excellent. However we were sadly let down in Houston, no where near the same standard as in Miami. Rooms are tired and old, needs refurbishing. No safe within the room. Fan in bathroom not working, kept steaming up. Bar tender extremely rude and walked away from us when we asked what cocktails were available . We ended up eating and drinking down the road at Hyatt Regency ( that was excellent ) and next time we will stay there.

The bed was comfortable and location in Downtown Houston good. these were the only positives.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I expected a much nicer room. Needs upgrade. The restaurant food was expensive and not very tasty.

The staff was attentive and nice. Beds were comfortable.

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The room next to us was partying and kept us up all night long and then to top it off you couldn’t smell drugs coming into our room from theirs I was so upset I called front desk they said they Would handle it and they apologized it didn’t stop for another hour or so and the smell got worse. They moved me into another room to try to make things right, the room I went to on the next day hadn’t been cleaned properly and had filthy sheets and linens, desk was dirty and had some sort of greasy type substance, bed had brown and black stains and hair, over all this has to be the worst experience I’ve ever had not worth my 500.00 bill for the two days I stayed!

Nothing there hospitality sucks and the most terrible experience I’ve ever had

They have cards in rooms and other places in hotel, "Make It Right" which claims they will do anything to make problems go away. It doesn't work. During the two days of stay and calling later after stay, shirking responsibility was the norm. Cost at check in was more than $100.00 above "Bookings" quote. Mandatory valet parking (exorbitant) was chaotic and always time consuming.

Some staff were exceptional (rare)

The "Surprise" of having to Valet park for an additional $35.00 per night was not cool. No other options and I was not expecting that additional charge.

The staff was really helpful and made the difference.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Room didn't have your basics like a microwave, mini refigderator, or even TOOTHPASTE. I had a $155 accidental charge to my account.

The cookie was the best thing from our stay.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I didnt like that the staff was not helpful. When I asked a question they seemed to not be able to answer me directly. They just said "Since you booked through booking.com you will have to take it up with them" they completely ignored responsibility and I felt treated less than because I booked with booking.com. I WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN.

The beds were comfortable but small.

It is supposed to be a international brand hotel , instead I was welcomed by thin walled rooms with no noise isolation, lukewarm bath water, and even a water shortage in the 2nd day in the whole morning. Wifi instruction is non intuitive , slow wifi speed as well.

The bed was comfortable.

Not much, reserved a two queen bed room get there and was really tired and wanted to go to sleep but get to the room and there is only one bed. Go back and get a two bed room and then get to the room and the people next to us is having a huge party with DJ and loud music and banging on the walls. Called front desk and they said oh yeah we should not have given you that room come all the way back and I will get you another room. Finally got a room with two beds.

it was the best our room was on the 11th floor and the site was beautiful. The hotel is beautiful and its super close to all the attractions. this was one of the best hotels I've stayed in, in a long time.

The furnishings in our room were worn. Chair upholstery was ragged and pole lamp behind chair was torn and hanging to tge side.

Very comfortable and clean

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Price and needed updates. Paid $34 parking and you have $28 listed. No choice for parking yourself either. You have to use Valet

Price for value was poor. Needs updating and maybe more restaurants in hotel.

Old hotel, first room I had had a broken a/c. Got another room (easy and quick, good) where on my last day the shower had no warm water. Staff at the reception was not especially friendly.

parking is terrible. No notice of parking fee of almost $40 extra. The room was cold and the lighting was dark with the light on. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The parking should be explained before booking, not on arrival. I had to park away from the hotel and pay $20. I will never stay here again. This made the entire stay bad.

the event I attended was beautiful

The total to pay was not the one same as the one booking.com established. Different taxes where applying plus a "change of rate" had occured. I had to pull out my phone and look for my reservation details and justify myself. Parking structure across the street is super expensive, its supposed to be owned by the hotel but still theyre charging about 35 usd per day, I was expecting free parking.

Great facilities and convenient location. Nice views from the room windows. Comfortable King size beds. Vending machine on each floor. Bar at the lobby was good.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

No heat in my room first night

The first night I didn't have heat in my room but the staff went above trying to make me comfortable especially a clerk named Tessa

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I booked my room for the Doubletree by the Galleria but instead was sent to the one downtown. The Queen size beds were the size of a twin and mattress was very uncomfortable. Parking is to expensive. The restaurant only had 1 server. When asked how to adjust the heat in our room the staff member asked how long were we staying before he adjusted it.

Front desk clerks were very nice!!!

Parking is valet only with no alternative making quick trips in and out a challenge. On check out day house keeping knocked on our door 4 times between 8:30 and 11when we were trying to sleep late.

Comfortable room, courteous front desk and valet.

Thought the valet parking a little pricey but so be it..the service for it was fine. Needed a cot but got a third bed which was not suitable although booking.com had taken details of the request in the reservation- we'd saved the day by taking our own cot just in case for the onward trip.

Comfortable. Didn't experience restaurants but the cookies were very good on arrival! We asked for a porter at short notice and one came anyway.

• Corner King Room - Non-Smoking

The room was dirty, coffee was awful, air conditioning vent was so loud-made a high pitch wail. Breakfast was $18 buffet and wasn’t good and the coffee was burnt and just bad. $34 per night for parking and you didn’t have an option to self park. Continually had to ask for more pillows and towels. Website says room service for 3 meals a day but they only did breakfast and dinner. The calculated score says 3.8 but if this were yelp I’d give it a 1 star. Super disappointed.

The view was nice and the elevator was fast.

The hotel does not have a indoor pool or a hot tub. The furniture is out dated. If you need a microwave & fridge, you have to ask for it, instead of it already being in the room.

I like the bed.

Had very hard time with plug ins. Our plugs kept falling out. Asked maid for extra towels and it took 2 days to get them. TV kept cutting off and on. Reported 2 times, first guy said reboot it (but we were watching Astros at the time) but later did and didn't helpt, and the next guy said it ALWAYS does that when cloudy because of Direct TV. I doubt that! Windows were sure dirty.

Great staff in restaurant and bar. Good food and reasonable price for big city. Fast elevators. Nice lighting in halls. Security immediately took care of homeless man who wandered in. Felt safe with the robot cop and drone that was outside.

Not enough staff to provide good service in the bar area to be serving food at night. One server for a packed room.

The cleanliness of the facility was excellent.

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

There was no blanket in the room and I didn't realize til I got into bed after a long event. Then found out the TV wasn't connected. Had to MOVE the dresser to connect the TV...again after a long business event. We weren't happy. Room was gorgeous but there was nowhere to put cosmetics in bathroom. Found that to be very odd! Finally, ordered breakfast and were not impressed. I barely ate it.

Location was great. Staff at front desk were great. Room was very nice...great view.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Getting stuck in the elevator for over 20 minutes was a very unpleasant experience. We called and called the front desk that the elevator stopped working and we got stuck on the 15 floor.

Valet associates were very nice and attentive

Hotel is definitely outdated and needs a facelift. I believe the hotel staff is doing their best to keep it clean and tidy. Overall the room, bath, and bed were fine.

The room felt old and outdated, the closet in the way from the bedroom to the door seemed weird. Needs an update.

They had a good bar and restaurant, lots of green space outside for pets, comfy bed and good location near great restaurants and venues.

Hotel interior needs to be renovated. Everything is old and greasy. Several lamps did not work in my room. Bathroom was very old and bordering dirty. Television uses same power outlet as the coffee machine so either coffee or TV, not both. Breakfast room is also desperately in need of renovation. Valet parking is expensive(USD 34,-)

There was no safety box in the room to keep valuable items. There was no self parking option.

The staff were friendly and helpful. They checked on us through out the stay by texts.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Loud room in noise because they were working on HVAC. Could hear TV in neighboring room. Parking cost. Only one plug tbat my charger would not fall out of

Gave me a 20% discount when I complained about HVAC. But even that process was not easy.

Nobody knows anything when ask forthe area around them, I carry all my 4 bags by myself, nobody help me.

My meeting building’s was connected with sky walk to the hotel.

The parking service was overpriced at $34 overnight and there wasn't any information on alternatives in the area. This would have been useful.

The staff were very friendly, the room was clean and comfortable. Location was great.

• Corner King Room - Non-Smoking

I didn't get what I asked for! I requested a King Corner room in a upper floor on my booking reservation. I got the second to the last room of the hallway only on the 9th floor. I really wanted that extra wall of windows with a nice view. The carpet in the hallway really needs to be deep cleaned.

I really like lits of natural light so lots of floor to glass windows were really nice! It was quiet and comfortable.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Customer service wasn't good. Plugs in our room didn't work and the lady charged my card 3 times instead of once " by accident". And there's now a fresh dent In my car having to only park in " valet". Found a small roach in the bathroom.

Place was nice

Due to the hurricane Booking.com over charged for the room and I really didn't have a choice in paying it cause there wasn't anything left to book.

The rooms were very quite and how fast the staff helped me out.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

THE FIRST MORNING WAS A SATURDAY, AND THE CONSTRUCTION WORKERS OUTSIDE AND LOCATED NEXT DOOR STARTED WORKING VERY EARLY. IT WAS AWFULLY NOISY, SOUNDED LIKE THEY WERE BEATING ON TRASHCANS, BOOMING SOUNDS AND CRASHING NOISES. THUS, THAT EARLY MORNING CONSTRUCTION NOISE STARTED ABOUT 5 AM AND CONTINUED THROUGHOUT THE DAY. NEEDLESS TO SAY, WE WERE UNABLE TO SLEEP IN. I DID INFORM THE FRONT DESK TWICE ABOUT THE DISRUPTIVE NOISE. THEY APOLOGIZED, BUT NO OTHER SOLUTION OR COMPENSATION WAS OFFERED. WE STAYED A SECOND NIGHT, AND FORTUNATELY THERE WAS NO CONSTRUCTION WORK ON SUNDAY MORNING.

THE STAFF, THE CONCIERGE AND CLEANING STAFF WERE WONDERFUL. GREAT TO STAY IN A BEAUTIFUL HOTEL THAT ALLOWS OUR FUR BABY!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

After going to the concert we were starving as so many others staying at the hotel. The grills had not cooled and yet the chef would not make us anything to eat. The chef could have made scrambled eggs for everyone and yet there was nothing. Big loss of income for hotel because across the street the Hyatt was willing. Concert nights should discount the chef and make him stay a little longer. No worries all packed up ready to go across the street. I am a true Hilton fan for varied reasons; this hotel does not represent the chain; check in was over 30 minutes they could not find reservation, I stood the whole time with my cane, no seating offered This is not a warm Hilton representative.

We stayed at the facility first because of the location. Toyota Center had a venue and the location was great. So what we liked was the location

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Valet was over-priced at $34. Other hotels in the area charge $20- $28. The beds in the double rooms are only full sized. They should upgrade to queen. Hotel is older and in need of updating, but clean and conveniently located.

Liked that we received a welcome and a good- bye text from concierge. Liked the cookies. Liked the comfort of the beds.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

$34 to park a car and $18 for breakfast. I don't eat that much food all day .

Suited our purpose. Close to the ballpark with a shuttle. Driver was very courteous. Left early Sunday morning and picked up breakfast, $18 for breakfast a little steep. Would stay again.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Parking price was $34 which really seems high and boosted our overall cost.

Bed was comfortable. Room was quiet, air conditioning was cool. Restaurant food was good but service was a little slow. Parking price too high.

No airport shuttle. Dinner was horrible. Ice was stale and made the drinks taste bad - really bad. VERY loud on Saturday night. This seems like a go-to hotel if you want to party and grab a cheap room. Comforter was stained...gross.

Breakfast was very good. Comfy beds. Inexpensive.

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

I've stayed several times and Always pleased with the clean rooms , My Husbands first time and He walked barefooted He was So Pleased with the Hotel .

This is the second hotel I've been to in houston where they do not provide a "Do not disturb" sign. I wish I received one in my room, seeing that I don't like other people coming in to fix things around. We keep it clean so we don't need someone to clean it. Other then that I really enjoyed my stay.

The hotel was beautiful, I had a great view. My fiancé and I really enjoyed the bar. I liked that there were so many restaurants around us. There was also bars, and places to have ice cream or yogurt. It was the perfect spot to be close to everything. We'd definitely stay here for our next visit.

Browse DoubleTree by Hilton Houston Downtown traveller photo gallery