Reviews of DoubleTree by Hilton Memphis Downtown 3 stars

185 Union Avenue, Memphis, TN 38103, USA

#40 of 88 hotels in Memphis

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

Perfectly placed for main areas & Super comfy

Room felt a little bit dated - didn't feel quite as luxurious in person as it did in the photos. Didn't ever see anyone playing the grand piano in the lobby - bit of a shame as was expecting a cosy lounge vibe with some nice piano music!

The bed was huge and so comfortable. The bathroom was lovely with large vanity area and Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries. Everything was clean and we had a cool view of the Baseball Stadium from our window. AMAZING placement for downtown, Beale Street, Main St etc and even the Mississippi River. Also directly opposite the Peabody if you plan on heading there!

The location was close to our entertainment for the night
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The desk chair was too cramped in the corner. It was even touching the bed. Couldn’t maneuver it was so tight.

The location was close to our entertainment for the night

Staff was very nice and helpful.

we were on the 7 floor and the street noise was really really loud

Staff was very nice and helpful. The hotel was within walking distance to multiple attractions.

Unloved
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Next to a major building site, work starting at 7am, this should have been made clear by booking.Com. Soundproofing in room nonexistent to outside, could clearly hear conversation on the sidewalk. Blinds were broken. Unable to turn the lights off from the bed-never stayed in a hotel where you have to get up to turn the lights off. Grout stained around Bath, Bath enamel chipped, decor was exceedingly depressing and the lighting was poor. No in room safe or fridge (which I guess we could have seen from the listed facilities, but at the price point I'd expect these).

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was spacious.

Location is good
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Rooms are outdated and the price is way to high for the services provided. Pool is covered with smoke from the exhaust of the restaurant downstairs.

Location is good

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

I was fun experience for a first-time Memphis visitor.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Maid service was a little slow. The first day we didn't get it until and 4 and the second day it was after 5. We declined service the second day because we were getting ready to go out.

People were friendly and the location was great.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

I wont be staying here again, almost requested my money back but we had no where else to stay.

Pieces if my ceiling was falling off, wet spot on the left side of the bed in the floor, smelled like smoke, crappy patch work on holes in the ceiling. Overall the room had a dirty appearance due to water spots.

my stay was not very good for two nights at 400.00

Guest relations personnel was very rude and disrespectful toward. Hotel services to accomendate was very poor. they made promises to and at the end fell to provide.

Lovely hotel close to Beale Street!
    • Queen Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

Water pressure was very low and not enough PowerPoints in the room.

Love this hotel, I’ve stayed here 4 times now and will always return when I visit Memphis. Staff are very helpful and always willing to assist.

Clean, comfortable and great location

Air conditioner vibrated. They came immediately and thought they fixed it but it started vibrating again. We just took the cover off and it stopped.

Clean, comfortable and great location

Great location. No other complaints other than the lack of maid service.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

I was a little surprised that our room wasn't tidied, our beds were not made and refreshments were not replenished after the first night. For a hotel of this status and price, I would expect maid service.

Great location. Right next to Peabody and just down the road from Beale Street.

Great stay. Enjoyed ourselves and had quiet time.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Hand bars in the shower/tub.

The room was large and very comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel lobby was clean. It is within walking distance of various attractions.

Hilton is tired

The room was supposed to be a 'king room' but the bed was only a double! The hotel room was very tired. Housekeeping always missed things randomly eg. One day we had no water bottles, another day we were only given conditioner no shampoo and no tea just coffee etc etc.

The room was s good size and hotel well located with TGI Fridays downstairs.

Great location, helpful staff.

Fitness center not open 24/7. Reserved a King room, took a double as they had overbooked (but did adjust the price).

Great location, helpful staff.

It's ok not work $200 a night room too small.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

I paid $200 for a one night stay and the room was small room. There was no microwave it just was not worth $200. I done stayed at $80 rooms that have bigger beds, nice shower, and a vending machine with snacks. There were no snacks available I just think the price was too high.

It's in walking distance to beale street.

Nice but could’ve been better.

The room needed updating. Refrigerator old and scratched up just not a nice appearance. The ac unit cover was falling off. Bathrooms are so small.

The location was great!

Concerning. Not sure if I'll ever book with hotel again.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Advised since I booked thru a 3rd party-request for walk-in shower/no curtain, never smoked in room(Aller-gies)and upper floor room were not received. Given 2nd floor room-street noise@night so bad-never got a restful night's sleep. No fridge/microwave in room and no continental breakfast. A/C went out approximately 11p last night of stay-no mention of inconveniece when checked out(had called to front desk to advise). Awfully disappointed that rooms hadn't been updated. As I was leaving for an outing 2nd day of stay, mentioned to front desk rep(female)street noise-she advised other available rooms were not cleaned-advised when I returned, would inquire about changing room/floor-provided name and room#. When returned from outing so tired and front desk so busy-decided to forego issue-disappointed rep or manager didn't at least call or inquire-initiate concern. All days no clear/clean water in pool-unable to swim water was murky.

Saving grace of stay was that personnel was polite and kind. The proximity from/to Beale Street and all attractions were great

Comfortable stay in the centre of Memphis
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

We stayed for 5 nights and our room was not serviced on two days of our stay. We had to ring and ask someone to bring fresh towels, water etc. The room was dusty in places...telephone, top of bathroom mirror.

The staff on the front desk were very friendly and helpful. The room was a good size, quiet, with comfortable beds and a clean bathroom. The location was good, next door to the Peabody Hotel, a few minutes walk from Beale Street, about 20 minutes walk to Sun Studios and a few minutes to the Main St Tram that took us to the Civil Rights Museum. Has a TGIF attached to the hotel.

Great location!! Room toooooo hot !!

The air conditioning in our room wasn't working properly, it was stuck at 79 degrees for the 1st couple of days. We thought it was bcuz it was so hot outside. When we couldn't take it anymore we went to the front desk & they said they'd have someone look at it. Still, NOTHING!!! Finally on our last night of a 7 night stay my husband decided to clean the air panel on the ceiling with a towel and BAM the air kicked on!! So after 6 nights of uncomfortable sleeping we finally had ONE night of a nice cool room.

Great location, friendly staff

Its not worth the money you spend to stay!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

I think the hotel needs remodeling..The floors were wet from leakage from the ceiling.. The lighting in the room was tooo dem... I dont think its worth it..I spent 275 for one night and breakfast was not free..What im paying for the name..Then the pool water was too high for my kids, the 3ft was over 3ft

The bed was comfortable and Tgif was right down stairs...

It was as expected and we'll be back.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

I think the hotel has slightly gone down in overall look since we first started coming here. Nothing drastic, but I think it's showing its age somewhat. That's not going to keep us from making this annual excursion.

We (my son and I) stay here once a year because of the proximity to AutoZone Park (across the street) and the ease getting in and out of the hotel. We also attend a round of the St. Jude Classic, and it's easy to get from Union Ave. to 240 and out to TPC Southwinds, so it makes for a fun getaway for my son and me. From the chocolate chip cookie to a clean room to a nice bed, TV, walking across Union to the ballpark and getting around Memphis, and a quick valet service, I always look to the Doubletree first.

Very suitable hotel for a weekend in Memphis.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Bathroom floor needed cleaning at the corners and edges.

Comfortable mattresses. We had an interconnecting room, and the family next door were quite noisy considering it was after 10.30 pm. Good location for Main Street.

Good

They told me that it wasn't going to put a hold on my card if I don't pay with that one and they did!! And put a hold on the card I paid with as well!! That is not right BUT other then that I enjoyed the hotel.

Everything was right there

Nice hotel with the worst room

Our room was on the 10th floor and you can still hear everything from outside like the window was open and the elevator motors were load and working non stop me and my wife had a terrible time trying to go to sleep.

Location was great

Great location!
    • Queen Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

You shouldn’t have to pay parking when staying at the hotel. We knew we had to pay beforehand, though. So we were prepared.

Great location! Clean and the cookies at check-in are awesome!

Horrible, don’t go here!!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Information on website not accurate, front desk staff was rude, key cards did not work several times, room was very outdated and noisy from both inside and outside noise.

Over all it was nice, wish they had a LeBonheur discount.

our door only opened if you pulled the handle up. we had to go back down to the desk to get them to tell us how to get in our room because of that.

bed was super comfortable.

Disappointed
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Room not made up 1 day so we had to ask for towels and tea and coffee and milk refills. No fridge in room or safe. Room not entirely clean. Would not stay there again.

Bed was comfy

We will be back!!!

Well-price. Could be cheaper 😁

We felt welcomed. That's the name of the game! I went to workout- needed it especially away from home. Always greeted by all the staff

We were not unhappy enough to demand money back, however we will not be staying here again

We were given the smallest room on the floor, after booking nine months in advance. It had curtains coming off the rod, mold on the bathroom ceiling tiles, and shabby furniture.

I like the staff, they are very pleasant

A good central location

The check-in process was slow (there was only one person processing the queue when we checked-in). However, once we were being served the service was excellent and very friendly. The lobby area runs the full height of the building so, if there's a lot of noise in the lobby area it transmits to the rooms.

This is a very well appointed, modern hotel in close proximity to the main sights in Memphis. The rooms are quite spacious & clean. the WiFi worked well. We used valet parking (which was efficient) but if you don't wish to pay the premium there are car parks near to the hotel that you could look at.

The staff was very friendly and the beds were comfortable.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

There were no trash cans anywhere in the room. There were little bugs in the bathroom. We had a view of construction, which I know the hotel can’t help but that was a still a disappointment. The pool wasn’t open. The cost of valet parking per day is a little high.

The staff was very friendly and the beds were comfortable. The location of the hotel was great. We could walk to a lot of places.

Pleasant stay, wouldn’t stay again
    • Queen Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

It was dated, didn’t like that the hotel didn’t have its own bar and you had to use TGI’s, our first impression of receptionist was not the best and we met with her again in leaving, still the same, which was a shame

The lobby was nice and the bedroom was a nice size

Overall ok but too expensive. Location was great though
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The service at the restaurant was very slow. The hotel staff did not communicate with each other my late check out request so we were bothered the next morning by the housekeeper and a call from the front desk. The price was increased to an exorbitant amount because of the events later in the weekend. Should not have impacted the rates for my night.

The location was perfect and the staff was very friendly checking in.

Pool was closed!

The pool was closed. I booked this hotel for vacation purposes and was extremely disappointed when they told us that it's not available. Otherwise, I would have definitely stayed at some other place.

Staff was amazing. As well as location.

Pool closed for season. 😢
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The pool was closed for the season.. You advertised a pool and no mention of it being closed. Had I known this I would have booked another hotel. False advertising Not happy.

Overall, it was great. If there for longer time would need different room location !
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

It was not necessarily dirty, but it was showing signs of needing updating in our room. (Could not close curtains, they were stuck on the rods, blinds were unable to open and close! Carpet in room was very worn. We stayed in a room that was facing B.B. King avenue. Until 2 am both Friday and Saturday nights there was unbelievable noise from cars racing along the avenue. There were many motorcycles reving there engines. I know you can’t control the traffic outside and maybe I just require more rest than others but if there was a way to block some of the noise or speak to local authorities about better traffic and noise control.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. Felt safe in the hotel!

Lousy

See above

Room was not clean, Windows were dirty and window sills filthy. TV didn't work. Bathroom was not attended to properly. I was paying for two other people who came in the day before we did and had made arrangements for my credit card to cover their expenses. I was even asked to send a form back via fax that would allow them to register without my being there. Their credit card got charged and I needed to straighten that out. Valet was never at their station and we even parked on the street. Friday's was a nightmare! At 9 p.m. Sunday night we were told we had a 45 minute wait to sit in the bar for a drink and it was empty and the "hostess" was as rude as anyone could be.

Will be back

Shower needed a service. controls a bit worn.

Hotel in a great location. Easy walk to main area of Beale St, also opposite Peabody hotel where you can watch to historic duck march every morning at 11.00 am. It was only a 15 minute stroll to sun studio on the same road as hotel. In side hotel Bedroom was lovely and comfortable, I wanted to take the bed home. Staff very friendly and helpful.

Nice, clean, friendly property that was an excellent value--I would certainly return!

I wish there had been a fridge in my room;

The staff at the hotel were amazing; everyone was friendly and seemed genuinely interested in taking care of the guests! Nice property, conveniently located, gym and meeting facilities were very nice as well.

Bedbugs, avoid
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Found a bedbug in the bed when we woke up in the morning. Manager was very nice and refunded the room, but now we have to deal with treating all of our clothes and luggage. Horrible way to end a vacation.

Loved the Doubletree, would recommend it to anyone going to Memphis!

Our friends had a room next to ours and ours was ALOT smaller ... we didn’t like that but didn’t ask why.

Staff was great.. helpful and funny and kind!

. It was close to Beale St and staff was nice.

The lobby was ok but the rooms were not up to expectation for the price we paid. They were very old and need work. Bathroom ceiling was hanging and the smoke alarm was not attached to the ceiling-it was hanging as well. The rooms were not very clean. Very dusty and I found hair in the bathroom. I was concerned.

. It was close to Beale St and staff was nice.

love Memphis and things to do even in the rain

Restaurant attached

room great the TGIF restaurant attached was terrible no one knew hours or anything-- we ate there twice due to rain and not happy either time ---

This was a good hotel for the one night. We would have liked breakfast included for the price.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Hotel is not marked clearly from the street. No parking. Only if you use the valet. Your lady by the front desk was not very friendly and not helpful.

beds were ok. Room was clean.

The man who checked us in in the middle of the night was...
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Bathroom was not clean upon arrival to room

The man who checked us in in the middle of the night was very accommodating. Head kitchen staff was very pleasant and accommodating.

The daily cleaning was excellent, The restaurant was short...

I had to wait more than three hours for my room was available. They seem to need more staff to prepare their rooms for the next customer. My room was very small. Less than two feet between my bed and the desk.

The daily cleaning was excellent, The restaurant was short staffed for breakfast. Only three people including the omelet cook who helped clean tables for the receptionist/ waitress. I waited twenty minutes after finishing breakfast to settle my bill.

Great hotel and staff, City taxes and fees drove the price up too far.

The only thing we didn't like was the bill. Our 188.00 booking turned into 250.00 with city taxes and fees that were not advertised.

Bed and pillows were very comfortable, staff in the hotel was excellent.

It was not a good experience

No extra cover plug ins were dis functional lights didn’t work

For $200 this was definitely not worth it! Our lights in the room didn’t work we had no microwave or refrigerator the plugs were dis functional!

Overall experience is a thumbs up!

Asked for early check-in back in November and when I got there the room was not ready. They had people asking for early check-in ahead of us, whom I would be pretty sure they didn't request that on-line and if they did it surely wasn't November.

The young gentleman who assisted us on check-in.

Great trip.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The property was pretty but there was obviously a lot of water damage in our room in the ceiling, for $250 per night I don't think there should be an excuse for a patron to notice that. If this gets to the operation manager or GM I would say look at room 727 the ceiling tiles, & sprinkler or smoke alarm look like they could fall thru at any minute. Also a crack in ceiling looks like paint and the popcorn texture will drop anytime. I made my reservation online thru booking.com and was sent a reservation. I get to a full hotel and they don't find my reservation even though I had a confirmation via booking. So I had to call booking to get my Doubletree confirmation. If I was going to need it, it should automatically provide bc it was a 30-45 min delay in checking in.... we had dinner reservations we missed.

The friendliest staff from the housekeeping staff to ballet to front desk to the restaurant. Each were what o would consider exceptional! Comfortable lobby and room furniture.

One of the best hotels I've stayed at in Memphis.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Very close to Beale Street. Bed were comfortable. Staff was so friendly and helpful. Loved our stay. Also close to other attraction like the memphis zoo and the bass pro shop.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Arrived at hotel to have staff say that they canceled our booking as they tried to take payment before we arrived as this was booked to paid at hotel on arrival.

Loved the location!

The room was disappointing to say the least. The bed certainly wasn't like sleeping on a cloud. The curtain was about to fall off the wall. Couldn't completely close it. But l guess for the money it was about what was expected.

Loved the location!

Loved Memphis and staff was great
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Rooms need updating, curtains don’t close, only one desk phone needed, carpets are worn, front door was hard to open, patch job on bathroom door

Staff, clean, business center, location

Best staff experience ever!!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

No fridge or microwave in room. Some of the rooms were smaller than others.

The Staff was first rate. The best trip I’ve ever had because of the staff. They’ll make you want to move to Memphis!!

The staff was WONDERFUL!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

It would have been nice to have a fridge and microwave in the room, but my dad asked for a fridge and they brought him one.

The staff was WONDERFUL! I was so impressed and felt like they were family. My stay in Memphis made me believe in Southern hospitality again.

Staff was very friendly and helpfulness, food was good.
    • Queen Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

no handrail in bathrooms! Part of room was cold (by Windows ) needs updating.

Staff was very friendly and helpfulness, food was good. Wished the handicapped roll in shower would have had hand railling for people who are not in wheel chairs but still need help.

Location good, clean and friendly staff.

We did not eat at the hotel. It was several blocks from downtown Memphis . Not too far of a walk. The room was fine but the windows old and dirty from the outside. Bed was comfy. Staff very friendly and helpful.

I do not plan on staying here again. It was clean and good location. The price wasn't worth it.
    • Queen Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

The room felt outdated and cold. The waters in the vending machine were warm and valet parking at check out we waited for 30 mins for our car.

The room we were assigned to was in a corner, next to...

Noise , located in corner room.

The room we were assigned to was in a corner, next to construction site. The noise was extremely loud. I would love to stay there again but relocate to the other side of the building.

Overall the stay was excellent!

We were not told about the breakfast.

After the game there was a 2 hour wait to eat in the restaurant. They stated this at 10:00pm, but the restaurant closes at 12:00pm.

It was much more pleasant than the other hotel where we had reserved.

We had no refrigerator in our room. Also airport shuttle can not be used by the hotel guest, it is reserved for and airport employee (pilots, crew, or mechanics, etc.) should they need it. And, breakfast is not included with your stay, you have to pay extra. Go figure!

Worse experience at hilton / double tree

Stayed at 3rd floor , whole floor , whole room smell like an engine room , some sort burning oil smell. Room feels like motel , old , not the stand for double tree and it is not cheap, almost 200 an night. Plus noise form the street ....

Expensive stay for dated facilities

Facilities were dated, air conditioner was hard to program, bathroom shower was old and dripped. Additionally, one of the night time reception staff was abrupt when greeting us on our return at night.

Normally love the Doubletree- but this was a letdown.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

For the cost of the hotel this Doubletree was a disappointment. Upon entry to our room, we discovered that the floor near the entrance was soaking wet, and remained that way throughout our stay. Additionally, the room was not well cleaned/maintained, and the dust was heavy in the air. We also had difficulty with the water-pressure in the shower. We were excited to order room service because the hotel offers a TGI Friday's in the lobby, but we were disappointed when our food arrived and was quite cold.

The downstairs staff was very friendly.

Staff on reception were nice & helpful but the hotel itself was tired and our room needs a makeover
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Our room 212 was very tired and could definitely do with improvement. I also thought the lighting was poor. The only lights were one above where the door is and a lamp in the main part of the room. I had to go to the bathroom every time I needed extra light.

The bed was very comfy.

Had a great birthday celebration in Memphis.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Metered Off street parking but we chose to use the valet covered parking. We felt car would be safer. There was a $26 per day charge for this.

Easy location downtown to get to from Mississippi River area. Across street from Peabody Hotel. There is a Fridays restaurant in hotel.

Requests for service was prompt.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Room was not real clean. Desk/night stand with glass on top was dirty. Moisture rings from cups and something sticky dropped on glass and it wasn't cleaned.

Requests for service was prompt.

Great Breakfast at Friday's!

There was construction going on in the surrounding area. The noise level was very disturbing so early in the morning.

Great Breakfast at Friday's! The Staff was very nice and friendly.

Overall, very nice—- especially the staff.
    • Queen Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

Was very surprised that there was no safe in the room. With the truck valet parked away from the property, ($26 a day) we put valuables into a backpack. That was an issue when we went to an unplanned Grizzlies game. Luckily, hotel very close to Fedex Forum as my husband had to walk back with bag. I put valuables in pockets-small nit—- but we are so used to safes, I never asked for desk safe deposit box. Like the old days. Also, bed very soft.... if you need firm, our bed was not anywhere near to hard.

Staff in all areas the best. Responsive, upbeat just nice to be around! Front desk were super. Sam a delight. Christian was very good with truck and helping us get a lot of luggage up to the room. Right across from Peabody and ballpark so great location. Beale street 2 blocks away.

Great location! Good nights rest! Overpriced.

Low water pressure in the shower. No refrigerator in room.

The staff was great. The bed and pillows were heavenly!!!! The cookies at check in were a nice touch.

Great location close to the action.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Tv didn’t work and there was lots of construction noise from an adjacent building plot.

The staff at breakfast were excellent, particularly the lady with white hair (Phyllis?)

The staff while checking in were amazing and extremely...

The restaurant, TGIFridays, was the only negative about my stay. Food was excellent but the service was extremely horrible. Took forever to get greeted, took a long time to actually get our drinks and order taken. Food came out quick and hot but took forever to get a refill and even to pay my bill. A 30 minute late lunch before the game turned into literally an hour and 41 mins!! No exaggeration either. I would understand if the place was busy but only 11 other guests were in the building other than my son and I.

The staff while checking in were amazing and extremely friendly. I wish I got her name to give her personal praise.

I will never stay at Double tree again.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

This room was dirty with a black handprint on the wall. The lotion bottle was more than obliviously not replaced. The bath soap had been replaced in the box. When I got home I realized they had overcharged me by nearly $200.00 and was told by the front desk supervisor " this was a customary hold".