Reviews of DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego/Del Mar 3 stars

11915 El Camino Real, Carmel Valley, San Diego, CA 92130, USA

#119 of 226 hotels in San Diego

• King Room with Pool View

Continental Breakfast abit over price, maybe have a kid price. I don't think $12 was a good price for a small box of cereal and milk.

The kiddy 1ft pool was nice to have for our toddlers. The cookies were yummy!

• King Room with Pool View

Not very exciting area of San Diego but practical to hit the highway. Very slow and clanky elevators....

Fairly large rooms with mountain views. Nice bar overlooking the pool. Convenient large parking next to hotel and within walking distance a small mall with some few restaurants. Otherwise next to highway 5 which is convenient but somewhat boring environment. Close to Del Mar and Torrey Pines.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Bed with Pool View

Our room wasn’t cleaned properly , we were over charged money and they’re wasn’t much they could do but we didn’t even get offered a discount .

The buffet was really good

The proximity to our family in San Diego is excellent and we really liked that. It is also very close to the beach in Del Mar. For convenience sake we could not have been happier or more comfortable. We have a Service Dog and your staff made us feel very comfortable in bringing her there. The staff was always courteous and helpful throughout our stay. We had dinner on the patio two nights with our own private tableside fireplace with heaters surrounding us. Thanks to the entire staff for making us feel very comfortable with our family there at your property. You will see us again soon!

No fridge in the room, stuffy/humid air that we really had to crank the AC unit to cool, which felt dated, one bedside light and outlet did not work, an additional flip/hide outlet in the desk area did not work, at least one of the guest elevators is a shared service elevator, and the room bathroom had no ventilation fan.

Friendly staff, nice pool, enjoyed the room layout, neat snack/coffee area in lobby, nice having an available bar/restaurant on site. We stayed in the pool area long after closing and never got asked to exit the area or be bothered by any staff members.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Bed with Pool View

There was nothing not to like.

The comfort,peace and quiet and most of all the light flooding into the room,thanks to the wall to wall window and even better, overlooking the pool area and in the morning, waking up to the amazing tree view. The light continues to flood in via the pyramid like glass structure over the dining area adjacent to pool and trees. The wonderful staff and availability of the shuttle for those who do not drive.

Coffee service ends at 9:30am... would be cool if it was just extended to 10am.

Location is everything. If you know San Diego and it's traffic... this is great location. You can get anywhere with knowing the times of day. Delmar beach is easy and you can get to La Jolla and farther down on the coast by skipping the freeways. When it is not during commute hours you can get to everything really quickly on the freeway to Mission Bay, Old Town, Little Italy and downtown for pac bell park. Great spot and great pool.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Bed with Pool View

Cons: -no cable tv -wifi is slow -dirty carpet -room was dusty -bathroom floor was sticky -left plates outside room, room service never came to pick up plates; started smelling bad Overall, not what I expected from a DoubleTree Hilton Hotel

Pros: -great views -good location -good price

• King Room with Pool View

Upon check in I was told my reservation was never updated and was cancelled as I was considered a no call no show even though I was standing there with the confirmation on my phone from booking . com. And then told there were no rooms. I had driven 2 hours with pets in my car and no where to go on a Sat in San Diego! The front desk was far from accommodating like a shoulder shrug oh well. Didn’t attempt to resolve it or perhaps call a nearby sister property. I then went out to my car and not happily called customer service from the 3rd party and only after they called the front desk did that miraculously, produce a room that I was told previous did not exist and would not be ready yet. Then went to check in while I wait and they said the room was ready. A room 10 minutes prior they didn’t have while the hotel blamed the 3rd party and the 3rd party blamed the hotel. 🙄 Once in my room, received a message from the manager with apologies and to add “would not be charging me for the no show fee”. Seriously?!! Why even add that?? There shouldn’t had been ANY fee, and a discount for the current stay as I honestly could had gone and should have gone somewhere else if I hadn’t made the call I did. Otherwise my entire night stay was ok. There was also a loud birthday party going on in the pool area which of course was annoying as I tried to fall asleep for an early home the following morning. But did manage to sleep.

The bedding was outstanding. Most comfortable. The bar area and staff were very nice. Nice room and very accommodating as well as a snack shop area. Bar and restaraunt is nice I only had an appetizer but that was delicious as well as the drinks. Great location for my stay as it was very convenient to the points of interest of my stay.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Bed with Pool View

Didn't know there was a parking fee and it was not mentioned at check in just given the parking pass to put up. I feel that should have been disclosed sence it wasn't mentioned through the booking either.

I didn't like the fact that front desk called my room and asked if we were smoking marijuana?I'm traveling with my 4 year old son like are you kidding me?your bothering me to ask me a stupid question like that?I stayed here for 3 nights booked 2 rooms and I couldn't even get extra water I had to buy the 4 dollar fiji water

Room service was really nice good food and very nice employees

The lack of empathy/ smile of the guy that helped us checked out.

The warm delicious cookies. The design, comfort, the coffee in the room, location, price.

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

Front desk staff very indifferent and rude. Not service oriented in the least bit. No refrigerator in our room!! You have got to be kidding---for the price and size of facility this is unforgivable! Also----BE AWARE---If you are a Hilton Honors member and you use Booking.com at this location--they WILL NOT give you Hilton Honors points and are very rude if you ask why not!!!

lOCATION WAS EXCELLENT---housekeeping staff did a great job

Johnny was exceptional at check in and check out. He helped with everything we needed to know and also made sure we had a good room even tho we traveled without the kids the 2 beed in the room did not matter will definetly recommend the property

All the four pillows on bed, were soft and fluffy but turned flat as soon as you laid on them. They were so uncomfortable, both my husband and I could not sleep. Finally my husband got up in the middle of the night and gave me the extra pillow in the closet which was only a little better. Would suggest having a variety of pillows on each bed.

Nice, clean, comfortable room and bathroom. Restaurant was also nice. Cookies were delicious!!! Since we were in town for training, we were glad they had a small snack bar behind registration area where we were able to purchase yogurt and fruit without having to go to restaurant or store.

Hotel is under contruction. The hallway to elevator people would be be on ladders working . To get to Resturant or pool area was all blocked off due to men working. No fridge or microwave in room unless you rented it.. pay for parking nightly .. wow 14$ a day.. absurd .. one car should be free in my opinion .. no free breakfast.. Only the day you arrive you receive 2 free bottles of water and 2 cookies..

Room was clean . And I liked that the hotel was close to the wedding venue that we flew in for . Close enough to shopping and Resturants

Lobby was under construction at this time and was a little confusing to find the temporary lobby after dark when I arrived. Check in was fine once I located the lobby though.

Room was nice and clean. Bed was very comfortable and breakfast was good.

The breakfast served in a plastic tent outside. Hotel is undergoing lots of renovation and loud workers pouring concrete at 7am. No fridge in room.

Staff very friendly.

• King Room with Pool View

Temporary bar and restaurant, no discounts for major inconveniences...

Staff was GREAT! Hotel under construction. Minor inconveniences. Heather was fantastic! Asked for corkcrew, pulled it from her desk, later a deck of cards, she went to car & brought it to our rm!

Wasn't rooks out wad under construction, was no notified of the $14.00 parking fee. No closer disabled parking because of construction. No refrigerator in room or microwave. I had to request the fridge. The construction workers started hammering very early. I couldn't sleep.

The cookies.

NOT WORTH IT considering all the construction going on. They had fashioned a temporary "lobby," which was crowded and inconvenient. The price advertised on Booking.com was correct – except it was with no breakfast. $179/night turned into $403.33 with taxes, then $431.33 with $28/day parking. No other options for parking.

Pool was nice. Beds were comfortable. Location good for our needs. Price "seemed" right at booking, but ...

• King Room with Pool View

Was not aware of hotel being in renovation. Parking fees are completely unnecessary. Restaurant prices are extremely high for the quality of food. Did not get a King size bed as ordered.

The view of the pool

The,staff was very rude for the check in and hung up on me diliberately. Upon check in made me feel very unwelcomed, like i was bothering them by checking in.

Very clean and beautifully kept even during remodeling. Pool was cery welcoming for all ages. Love love love,the child wading pool.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Bed with Pool View

The parking was limited. There is a parking garage underneath the facility. It was usually full and the parking spaces are very tight. I was able to park outside adjacent to the hotel. Again very few parking spaces were available.

Excellent Breakfast options. All were very good tasting. Very friendly staff. I noticed the staff was very detailed with their cleaning process of the facility. I noticed the cleaning staff numerous times wiping down tables and vacuuming the floors, etc. Very, very clean facility.

• King Room with Pool View

The hotel was under construction. There was no lobby. A tented outdoor patio was supposed to be the restaurant. The restaurant staff was not interested in serving, claiming the kitchen was far. That doesn't really say hospitality.

The hotel room was clean and the housekeeping staff was nice. The business area was easy to use.

• King Room with Pool View

It was in the middle of renovations. I know it's unavoidable, but that was the downside.

The Shuttle driver was AWESOME....unfortunately, I forgot his name. Salt & pepper hair.

The elevator area was too small and crampy... Need better access to the rooms!!!! I will not stay @ this location again... I will try a nearby hotel in the future ...

The Staff were very nice!

It was under construction, which ruined the trip. You could have gave us the heads up about that, we would have chosen another hotel! It was very uncomfortable!

I like the location! The construction made it miserable!

Construction started at 8:30 so don't plan on sleeping in, and the restaurant was expensive. The lobby and the restaurant are under construction. Had to walk a long way to get to the door and then elevator.

Rooms were clean restaurant was open late and it was good.

The hotel was going under renovation, I knew that, but I wasn't expecting a full scale construction with lots of noise that would make sleeping impossible. The room itself was also noisy because of their old and loud A/C's . The staff wasn't friendly and they made us carry our luggage when we were leaving. When we checked in they didn't allow us to upgrade the room because we booked via Booking.com which was absurd. And when we told that we didn't like the room and want to stay at another hotel, they just dismissed it by saying ''since you booked from booking.com we will refund nothing so...'' . The hotel was one of the worst hotels I ever stayed in, but I think Booking.com also made this a terrible experience. I always use this site to book my hotels but most of my last trips were horrible because Hotel's started to give out crappy rooms to people who book from here.

Cookies were great. That was the end of it.

The hotel being under renovation was a bit of a inconvinence, especially in the parking lot. We had to park across the street a few times. Although it is not the hotel or staffs fault they are simply trying to make it better, it was surprising to come to and see that there was construction going on.

The staff was very friendly and was quick to check on the things we needed or answer questions we had.

This was an awful stay. It was under construction, which was not posted online when we booked. The room was not clean, towels were thread bare, our sheets did not get changed even though we spilled coffee on it, the hallway had a huge fan running, the dresser had a huge smear on it. The empty tissue box did not get replaced. The parking lot was a nightmare. At night walking back to the building from the lot was taking your life into your own hands. There was zero light and cars came around the corner of the building and could not see pedestrians walking from the lot until they were in front of them. Horrible set up for a building under construction. We complained and did get one night stay compensated. But we had two rooms on two different floors with the same complaints. Poorly run!

• Queen Room with Two Queen Bed with Pool View

A little more construction than anticipated, but still the staff was very accommodating. Wish there was a fridge in the room.

It was located right along the highway and easy access to everywhere we wanted to go. The rooms are very nice, beds very comfortable and pillows not too big.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Bed with Pool View

The hotel towels had red stains on them, blood? They are renovating so you have to eat outside for breakfast where it's cold. The renovation of the property should have been disclosed prior to booking for those with bad allergies. No mini fridge in room for cold water. Overall I will never stay here again!!

• One-Bedroom King Suite

The disclaimer that the hotel was under construction was an understatement! It was a mess! Had I known it was going to be in such disarray we would had stayed across the way at the Marriott. We arrived and had to wait til well after the 4:00pm check in ( we were told our room was being cleaned) when we finally got into our room, it appeared clean, however the refrigerator was still full with the previous occupants food and drink. It made me wonder just how well the rest of the room was really cleaned! We have stayed in Double tree hotels before and they where great, after this trip and with the money we spent on rooms that chain will definitely be taken off our hotel list!

The hotel was under staffed but the ones that were there were very helpful, especially the shuttle driver Shawn.

• King Room with Pool View

Parking spots were super narrow so many times people parked on lines and then you couldn't get in the spot near to them. Hard to find parking. Also didn't know they would be remodeling. A bit of a pain where the entrance was

The free cookies. The location wasn't bad. Close to the beach

• King Room with Pool View

The construction made it not worth what I paid at all. The location was in commercial property. I would have stayed elsewhere if I had known

The room and bed was real nice

We were not able to contact front desk or room service throught our stay, the phone was not working. I was there to celebrate my anniversary and I had never experience something like that at a hotel

Lobby and construction not complete!

Restaurant food and service was great. This property is redoing the lobby but the people and service made up for it. The golden retriever was accepted, petted, and treated!

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

Renovations currently underway, with very loud construction noise 8.30am-5pm, throughout the complex!! If we had known, we would not have stayed. A makeshift restaurant and bar were erected in a tent (not ideal) and the food (breakfast and dinner) wasn't that great. The sofa-beds are very uncomfortable and I wouldn't recommend using these. The construction noise and subsequent disruptions were really bad for our group and unfortunately made for an unpleasant stay.

Pool and spa pool area - quite nice. Mario at reception - a helpful staff member. Main bed - very comfortable. Courtesy shuttle - excellent (6 mile radius).

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Nothing, really.

Clean comfortable room, great bed. Attractive pool and hot tub area. Excellent warm chocolate chip cookies Staff are friendly, helpful and accommodating.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

The booking.com website mentioned that cancellation is free. But when I booked already, cancellation already has a fee. Can you please check on this? When I asked for a cancellation few minutes after I inadvertently booked, the hotel is charging me one day stay. I think that is not a very ethical business practice. I asked for toothpaste and the staff acknowledge - but nothing was delivered.

Staffa are nice.

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

They charged for everything. The parking lot outside the hotel was 12 a day. A parking lot! Not a structure. Not consistent with cookies or gift bags. Some of us got them. Others didn't. The breakfast was mediocre and cost ... 12.00 unless you got the powdered eggs which bumped it up to 15. Our family joke was anything you asked for was going to cost you 12.00

I liked having a corner room. Lots of light

What I didn't like was that you had to pay for parking when the lot is shared with other businesses. They should list that on booking.com also continental breakfast is 12 .00 dollars please list that so patrons can be aware.

Great location easy access to freeways. Just about 12 miles from downtown San Diego. Hotel is clean with easy entrance to facility.

Staff neglected to offer us hotel cookies or gift bag from bride and groom at check in, which was really disappointing to the couple; huge open parking lot but have to pay $12/day; $12 for just ok continental breakfast ( juice, toast, pastry, cereal, fruit) and $17 to be offered 2 hot egg dishes as well. It was very complicated to get into their wifi system and most of us gave up and used our own data. There were no little extra touches that would make us want to return. We felt like we were charged for a few things that could easily been complimentary or offered for much less.

Location; rooms were clean and comfortable. Staff was very pleasant. Nice grounds and pool.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

One elevator out of commission and the other one very slow! Thought it was a bit much to charge a fee for parking my car when I patronized your facilities for meals as well as beverages along with some invited guests.

Room very comfortable. Convenient to elevator but quiet as I needed to do some paper work.

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

• Queen Room with Two Queen Bed with Pool View

no breakfast included in the price, poor complimentary wi-fi, paid parking ($12.00/day)

good location, clean rooms, excellent swimming pool, friendly staff

• Queen Room with Two Queen Bed with Pool View

It is outdated and could use a refresh. The elevator buttons don't work easily and are slow and the stairs are all the way at the other end of the hallway. Parking is $12 per day. I suspect that at certain times maybe the area is busy but, for being a ways out of San Diego it was surprising to spend $12 per day for parking. Disappointing

The staff throughout were fantastic, friendly and service oriented.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

There was a little bit of a fly problem in the restaurant. The coffee isn't that great either, though that may be a San Diego thing. The location is also approximately half an hour from anywhere you want to go downtown.

The cleaning staff was amazing and the food was delicious! Great outdoor lounging area and comfortable rooms.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

Got stuck in the elevator for 10 minutes. It was pretty overwhelming. We kept calling the staff at the front desk but they kept hanging up on us. :(

Bed was super comfy and room was great! Maid was on point. Really liked that I was able to take the shuttle to and from Kaaboo. Not to mention, the shuttle driver, Shane, was sooo amazing!!

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

• King Room with Pool View

Love the DoubleTree cookies! The staff at this DoubleTree were also incredibly nice and accommodating. I knew I would be checking in late to the hotel. I called to make sure they would hold my room and they reassured me that rooms are held until 2am. I also needed the shuttle outside of regular hours (needed to be somewhere by 10am and the shuttle wasn't scheduled to run until 2pm). They were able to accommodate my schedule and provide both drop off and pick up! Special thanks to Mario, Taylor, Mimi and Shaun for taking care of me! The hotel itself was very nice and quiet. I just wish I had been able to stay longer and enjoy more of the amenities, such as the nice pool and poolside lounge chairs. I did go to the bar, though, and the service was great!

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

We have stayed at this place for many years. Used to be a nice moderately priced hotel. This year, however, as soon as we checked in they gave us a list of rules and did not want to admit to us that the parking was no longer complimentary. The response when I asked was basically "Everyone charges around here, so we do now." Really? This is basically a hotel in the middle of a business park. Staff was rude, kept asking me if I was a Hilton honors member and then looked down their nose at me when they saw that I had booked through Booking.com. I am sorry, M'am but I can't do anything extra for you or treat you nicely because you went through a "third party booking service". I am bummed now that I booked this hotel for our Christmas visit to see family. That will be my last visit to this stupid hotel. If I am going to pay extra for everything I am going to stay in a luxury hotel in La Jolla.

Pool and hot tub are great. Nice workout room.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

• King Room with Pool View

Was on Hilton Honors level complete with a mass of screaming girls who decided it would be fun to run up and down the halls and knock on various doors until 10:00 PM. Drove in from Northern CA and was too tired to get up and yell at them. Not a good night at all.

Easy check in and out. Elevator access easy to locate and use

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Coffee Maker (supplies) should have more than a single non-decaf coffee. Also, on check out was asked if I wished paper bill or e-mail. Never received the bill.

Nice bed.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

• Queen Room with Two Queen Bed with Pool View

Being charged for parking but no big deal

Excellent Location Staff very friendly and helpful Room was very roomy and comfortable Breakfast on Sunday before we left was excellent with a very friendly and helpful waiter - Geramy

• Reviewed: 13 July 2016

Nothing to report. All is excellent.

The rooms were very clean and fresh. The staff was exceptionally friendly and welcoming. We loved the cookies. Especially Mario and Diania at the front desk. Mario took very good care of our reservation questions and went beyond the call of duty to group our reservations and accommodate the need of an additional nights stay. Geremey, was our waiter for 3 visits and each morning, he was welcoming, smiling and remembered what we loved to drink for breakfast. Even the night watch/security patrolman was polite and we felt safe with our family. Last but not least, Maria one of the house keeping staff was very polite and from what I observed did her job well and with a smile. Keep up the great work, The Rodarte Family

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

Breakfast was fine, although staff could have kept up on replenishing items in a more timely manner. Not enthused about the pocket door to the bathroom - very difficult to slide back and forth. Also, wish there would have been a bathroom fan.

Very nice hotel, check-in staff was excellent. Everything else was excellent, we'll stay there again if the need arises.

• Reviewed: 1 July 2016

• Queen Room with Two Queen Bed with Pool View

No vending machines on the floors. The cost of "extras" was pretty high. The barking dogs down the hallway.

The beds were very comfortable. Location to where we needed to be. Staff were friendly. The cookies!

• Reviewed: 22 June 2016

having to pay for parking while being a guest at a hotel always annoys me.

The young lady who checked us in was very nice and informative. The check in process was quick and efficient. She did a great job. The room was very clean and the bed was oh so comfortable which was just what I needed after a long day in the hot sun.

Pool and bar/restraunt. 10 minute uber/lift to fair grounds

• King Room with Pool View

hotel parking is not free

welcome warm cookies always, little bar table in the room

• King Junior Suite

No complaints

The staff is incredibly accommodating

Love the hotel

Paying for parking

Very clean

The Shuttle was excellent. I was able to get to my conference every day with ease as well as back to the train station on my final day.

Love staying at all Hilton properties

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

Not too much restaurant around the area

Everything is awesome

Very nice location

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

Check in service and check out

No it was OK

Was treated with friendliness and kindness from beginning of stay till the end

Pool and lounge area

It is fantastic The comfort, very peaceful

• Queen Room with Two Queen Bed with Pool View

Room was clean and I liked the breakfest area

• Queen Room with Two Queen Bed with Pool View

Front end clerk guy could have been friendlier and more welcoming.

Breakfast was way over priced.

Hotel was nice.