Reviews of DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego Downtown 3 stars

1646 Front Street, Downtown San Diego, San Diego, CA 92101, USA

#129 of 226 hotels in San Diego

• Two Room King Suite

Bathroom ventilation wasn’t working. Paid for Executive King suite as was travelling with spouse and adult son. This gave us two rooms-one with king bed, other with pullout queen sofa. Sofa mattress was very thin, and could feel springs through it. Tvs were also very old and outdated.

Walking distance to a lot of places.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds with Roll-in Shower - Hearing Accessible

I understand the concept of offering guests a treat (cookie) but I have an allergy to nuts and was glad I checked it before consuming. Other than that, friendly staff, spacious room and great location.

All good.

Ideally located for walking to all areas downtown and access to Santa Fe Depot for trolleys to all other areas. Clean & quiet neighborhood, but close to cafes, bars, & restaurants on India Street. The warm cookies on arrival were a nice touch! We appreciated the complimentary shuttle service to / from the the airport.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Most Staff are so unfriendly Since day one They tried to charge me more than the rate I was given from Booking.com and said this’s Booking.com problem not ours

Only the cleanliness

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The parking should be complimentary for hotel guests due to the limited street parking around the hotel.

The hotel was in a great location, within walking distance to many restaurants and little Italy. The lobby and amenities were kept very clean. The staff was helpful and answered all my questions.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The fan, which I needed on to drown out the freeway noise, was very noisy and clingy, and the pipes in the shower knocked, early in the morning Both of which made it difficult to fall asleep and then would wake me up early There was nothing in the room to tell how to get the WiFi and the remote control didn’t work No fridge or microwave in the rooms and a $20 charge to have a fridge For microwave you have to go to a back room, I think was the laundry

The staff were pleasant and helpful

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Over charged me, I called and the person on the other phone did not have any idea what was going on and told me everything was denied but I have bank statement and proof from my bank that I was charged full amount even parking. Told to call back the next day for manager, still haven’t heard back from them. Very disappointed because now my card account is on hold for Fraud since they try to charge me 8 different transactions all different amount.

Clean rooms, great view!

• King Room with Bath Tub - Hearing Accessible

I made my reservations 4 months in advanced and was told when I arrived they had to work on finding me a room. The price of the hotel for what you got in a double room or king room was a total joke. There was no parking included even though they have a garage. It cost $25 a night to have a car at this hotel.

The location was one of the only good things about this hotel.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our shower did not drain and housekeeping took a long time to come clean the room.

The hotel was downtown so everything was in walking distance and the front desk staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Parking- you have to pay $25 a night, which I wasn’t made aware prior to booking. Parking is tight better rent a tiny car. The room is okay but the bathroom is bad. The tub is not draining. There is corosion in the bars in the tub. No vent in the bathroom. Elevators are slow. Bed is old and too soft. No mini ref Or microwave.

Close to the freeway

The fire alarm was pulled on Sunday around 12:30am after we had worked for 16hours and was finally going to bed. We went down stairs to talk to the receptionist, no one ever apologized for the inconvenience.

The fire alarm ended up going off around 1:30am on Saturday night, i think someone may have did it as a prank but it was a false alarm. Not the hotels fault but that was our only bad experience.

The bed was super comfortable, super clean. Everything was great. We had a balcony that faced the airport and we LOVED it!! My boyfriend is a pilot so of course we couldn't have had a better room. I saved money instead of buying coffee at starbucks by making the coffee that was provided in the room, it was great and easy to make.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The staff we checked in w/ was not friendly, He spoke like he don't want to be there. We felt like he treated us like people passing by. No smile, no welcome. He made us feel like like he's doing us a favor for checking in at the hotel.

I like the location, comfort.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Beds were really small making it very uncomfortable to sleep. The heat for the shower was poor. Only 3 towels on arrival for a 4 person room the toilet paper was a hard reach for my kids. No fridge in room.

It was clean. Decor nice.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We come here often so when I discovered I had left my photo ID at home I expect some degree of trust, especially when my husband had his ID. Instead junior staff member was dismissive (which really angered my husband). Thank goodness a senior staff member intervened.

Location, comfortable beds. Most everything!

The shower made noise when you turned it on, as if the plumbing was bad. The water control valve was malfunctioning . In a king room there was NO microwave or refrigerator. There were hidden fees. Upon checking in I was told that it was $25/day for parking !! There was NO street parking. It was explained to me that there was a $50 deposit, for any fees that may incur during my stay. There was NO FREE BREAKFAST... they charged $15/pp. overall it was a nice hotel but not worth the extra cost ... LESSON LEARNED

We had terrible wifi connections. It was difficult to get it and then when we did, we kept losing it. I also felt the breakfast buffet was overpriced for its quality.

The hotel is in a good location to San Diego Airport. While I didn't use it, I noticed that the shuttle came often to pick up guests.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds with Roll-in Shower - Hearing Accessible

Expensive for the room. Overcharged me. Still trying to resolve. Parking ramp too narrow. Accessible shower small and water gets all over the bathroom floor.

Close to freeway and downtown

The shower and carpet in the room could stand an upgrade, but wasn't terrible!

The bed was very comfortable! The room was clean, and staff was friendly! They even greeted us with water and warm chocolate chip cookies when we arrived. The lobby was clean and nicely decorated.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

• Two Room King Suite

I loved how fast check-in was (and who doesn't love the free hot cookie?!), room was cool when we walked in not like others that are stuffy, very spacious, friendly people at the bar, great drinks for 'well' at happy hour, amazing chef in the kitchen and loved the bed. Didn't have a chance to go to the pool and bigger bar upstairs but I plan to next time! Not a dislike so I don't want to put it under the 'Didn't like' section but just so you're aware the TWO BEDROOM is a pull out in a separate room from the bedroom. Still works as a 2 bedroom though.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

I don't like how I booked with it saying there will be a refrigerator but there was not one. I called to let front desk know and no one got back to me.

I enjoyed the balcony and view of the city and ocean.

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The housekeeping staff could be more attentive. I called for more towels and never had them delivered to my room.

Great quick service at check-in. Pizza delivery was a great option for room service.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

The parking was $25/day and is a tight fit if you have a big car or a bad turning radius. But price checking with other downtown hotels, this was a decent price compared to $45 valet only (which means an added tip on top of that). Breakfast is not included but they have a $15 buffet for a decent selection. Waffles, omelets, bacon, sausage, eggs (fake), potatoes and hash browns as well as the standard continental selection. A la carte ordering is also an option. Fridge was not included in the room even though I thought it was advertised as so. It was $20 extra per day. Not worth that price to save a few leftovers.

The bed was amazingly comfortable in a very nice, spacious room. We got a king room with "no view" but it wasn't bad. We could see a fraction of the harbor, the airport, the highway and some city lights. We were on the 14th floor so the window is private (not looking out onto. walkway or parking lot where you need to keep it closed). Great location! It was a lot closer walking distance to things than I thought. We easily walked to the Gaslamp district and back (myself in heels), and the ocean is only a 10 minute walk away. 10 minute drive from balboa park which has free parking.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

When I reserved the room it stated that a refrigerator would be available in the room (standard). Not the case, a refrigerator must be rented at 20$ a night. All they told me was sorry, I was told that, and if I needed one they were currently out and I can take my insulin to the front desk for it to be stored/refrigerated. Not cool!!

Staff was nice. House keeping was very nice and hard working.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

When they say check-in at 4, they mean it. We got there at 3 and no way was our room ready. We did NOT receive a chocolate chip cookie. The water dispenser in the lobby was empty. I asked for a bottled water and was given a small warm bottle. The garage is a nightmare with EXTREMELY narrow parking spaces and turns. We didn't use the dining room because it was so un-inviting. No refrigerator although they advertise one. No safe. No microwave. The people next door had a little one who was very loud early in the morning. The hotel had two vans parked out front that blocked the entrance to the hotel. You really can't see where the entrance is. The lobby is sterile. Our room was comfortable although the paint was starting too peel above the bathtub.

The beds were very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The staff member who checked me in (Ivan) seemed to be going out of his way to take as long as possible. He kept making phone calls and consulting a log sheet while "serving" me, and there was no apology or explanation for the delay. This was particularly frustrating as I had hoped to check out the pool, but check in took so long that I ran out of time.

The parking lot is hard to Manuver in and it’s expemsive for parking.

The complimentary cookie was a super sweet gift. The beds were very comfortable!

Clean facility and friendly staff.

It was very comfortable

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Just a little too much for being out off the main thoroughfare

Great friendly hard working staff

Just how narrow the ramps are in the parkade

Long wait for elevators.

Loved the view from our room. How close to little Italy we were.

only 1-2 functioning elevators/ line at the elevator

free shuttle bus was very helpful

Freindly stafff easy check in and check out

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

They cahrge me more than what booking.com says

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Only thing I can think of would be that it always can be cheaper lol

Was nice and price wasn't too bad for what it is.

Cost

Good location, good wifi, still expensive, fun cookies on arrival

Nice location, nice view from the room (15th floor), very kind personnel

No safe in room

The staff

the price is not that low, and on the high side.... but the location and and facilities make up for that to a degree

Very old, it needs a lifting

The location, bed really comfortable

The Bar closed at 10:00 the Beer was $10, a high price but, I could not purchase a second beer - closed to early how about 11:00 PM

I like everything

The convenience to be close to fwy the great view that we have

No Safe / Security Box in rooms

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Parking garage was very tight. I didn’t like it at all

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Shower tub had molds and shower head was falling apart. Lighting was very poor in the bathroom. Way too dark in the shower.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The front desk treatment was so bad and they cut the line while we talking.

Clearance is amazing

Everything!!

Only thing I didn't like was the parking structure was too narrow

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The very narrow parking garage

I like the complimentary cookies and water

Additional parking fee

Tight parking

The view

Small and narrow parking

Parking $25.00 a night

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

Parking garage tight fit

The towel swans on the bed

The narrow parking structure

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

Loved the view and location!

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Small parking and had to pay

Friendly staff, GREAT COOKIES

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

The amenities were TOO expensive.

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

Great place

I loved how nice everyone was and it was so close to everything

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The pizza was not that good.

The view on the 21st Floor

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Great location and nice room. Would stay here again.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

some elevators did not work, they had no tea and I am a tea drinker. room cards did not work.

clean rooms and great location

• Reviewed: 2 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The pool should be heated.

Everything was great!

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

cheaper parking

nice room nice pool good location

• Reviewed: 3 July 2016

Parking

Proximity to downtown attractions and price.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room services is not good we have to wait for an hour.

The cookies

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I was a bit disappointed that there was no refrigerator in the room.

Comfortable beds, friendly staff, and clean rooms.

• Reviewed: 25 June 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Small issue with the rate which was eventually corrected but still was a hassle would prefer not to deal with.

Stayed in May 2016

• Reviewed: 17 May 2016

It is a old hotel so it really needs to be updated. The furniture is worn out and the tub needs to be changed out as well. The toilet was very slow in flushing.

The staff was very accommodating. They gave us a free breakfast buffet for completing this survey. They were also able to check us in a little early.

• Reviewed: 3 April 2016

The garage has a really narrow entrance & exit. I hated the fragrance of the bathroom products.. too fruity...like rose water.

Staff was superb! The restaurant had a great veggie menu.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2016

If I have to say something, that is the hotel is not shining new because of the age, but in general it's tidy and clean.

The location of the hotel is excellent! We can walk to many famous restaurants, the seaside walk, USS museum, Baldoa Park, and shopping centre easily. (p.s. both my hubby and I enjoy walking, so we consider a 2 miles walking distance as easy.) The room is of good size, bed really large and comfortable, shower is powerful. All in all a very pleasant stay. We have to give our special thank you to the kind and helpful staffs! During our stay we went to Las Americas Outlet for shopping one night, but unfortunately we took the wrong turn and got on a one way road which led us to the Mexico!!! Which didn't help was when we asked the officer in Mexico boarder how to turn back, he directed us into Mexico.. Unfortunately neither of us took our passports with U.S. visa, so with no doubt we were kept at the US boarder with no permission to come back.. We phoned the hotel, the lovely staffs agreed to drive all the way to Mexico boarder to bring out passports!! The reception lady Maria (hope I spell the name correctly) came as quickly as in 30 min to rescue us! We couldn't say how thankful we were to them for helping us out of our own stupid mistake. Just a reminder, if you are a foreigner and wanna go shopping at Las Americas Outlet, please be careful and keep following your SatNav! Only one wrong turn, you will be on a one way road to Mexico with no exit at all... And the queue back to California is always very long...

• Reviewed: 4 October 2015

The design of the bar and restaurant is poor, uninviting and inhospitable.

The room was comfortable; enjoyed wifi; and the view of San Diego west, minus the bay view.

• Reviewed: 15 July 2015

Tub smelled Hung breakfast notice on door but was never taken. Waited 30 minutes before we were even noticed in dining area of hotel.

Bed was nice Room service was fast

• Reviewed: 24 June 2015

Air condition was very noisy; waking us up at night. Also, the bathtub faucet leaked.

Our stay was overall very good! Great staff, clean room, and beautiful view.

There are also 59 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.