Reviews of DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego-Mission Valley 4 stars

7450 Hazard Center Drive, Mission Valley, San Diego, CA 92108, USA

#92 of 226 hotels in San Diego

No free wi Fi no fridge in room , some staff were absolutely lovely concierge in particular very helpful ..some reception staff disinterested , I asked about a later check out and lady was not too interested ..as soon as I said I was happy to pay it was instantly available ..$75 for 2 extra hours seemed harsh ...we were a family of 4 booked to the room yet there were only really supplies for 2 guests ...2 glasses , 2 coffee cups , I joined the Hilton honours but based on this stay I’m not sure I’ll be back

Large room fairly comfortable beds

• King Room with Balcony

I did want to add that we did get a scent of pet urine from a corner in our room. but we were still over all happy. Great hotel.

Overall very happy. Doubletree was beautiful from the lobby all the way up to our rooms. Staff by far over exceeded our expectations at the front desk to the cafe in the lobby.

Trash was left in my room and there were plumbing problems so after after already unpacking I had to pack back up and move to another room. Water pressure in sink wasn't good either.

Indoor pool

Jaccuzi only open until 10pm.

Very comfortable place to stay away from home. Love the 2 big pools and Jacuzzi. Friendly staff and beautiful surroundings.

We really loved the Hotel!! The only thing that was wrong was as soon as we walked into the room the smell of cigarettes. We just put the air on high and it clear it out a lot. We didn't say anything that night.

Everyone was very helpful and nice. I didn't realize the room did not have a refrigerator and since I had medication that had to be refrigerated so they were so sweet at the front desk and sent one up to my room.

• King Room with Balcony

Advertising it as a room with a balcony was a joke, you couldn't sit out there or enjoy it, as it was too small. I would not have paid extra had I known. Plus the sliding glass doors were terrible and they locked you out.

The bed was comfy

Price was a little higher than what we wanted to pay for 1 night.

The hotel gives free hot and fresh chocolate chip cookies and very nice hotel overall!

• King Room with Balcony - High Floor

After a long day of traveling I arrived at the hotel which smelled horribly from chemical cleaning fluid. I suppose they clean, but I do not want to smell that strong, medicinal, order that burns my nostrils. Then, I get into my room, go to wash my hands by taking the bar of soap out of cardboard packaging, and find a small hair on the bar used bar of soap! I was disgusted. The food at the $20 breakfast was all processed food, even the eggs seemed to be processed. I could not cancel because I used Booking and the hotel would not give me a refund nor move me to a different property. I felt dirty and unclean the entire time I was there. Then, there were loud parties every night with drunk teens, and someone tried to get in my room in middle of the night. I would not stay here again.

Convenient location.

Customer service was something you'd experience in a 5 star hotel. The beds were 5 star quality and the hotel itself is at least 4 stars. I can't believe this hotel is only rated 3 stars. I would consider myself a picky person therefore I wasted so much time reviewing other hotels. With so much value at the doubletree, I will definitely come back!

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

Didn't like viewing gravel.

Breakfast was good. Didn't like that although it was already paid for had to front desk to obtain verification. This should have been taken care of at check in

Stayed 3 nights and housekeeping never replenished the complimentary coffee in the room. Had to call to get it. Also the air conditioning was weird. It never turned off. It constantly switched between hot and cold to keep set temp. $25 per night for parking and $10 per day for wi-fi is a little ridiculous.

Beds and pillows were comfortable. Room was clean. Check out time at noon was nice. The hotel was really nice and the employees were very helpful and kind.

• King Room with Balcony

The fact that you have to pay for parking and pay for wifi.. the food was not that great.. we ordered room service and it did it meet my expectations.

I loved the 24 hour pool..and the cleanliness there pool area and rooms.

• King Room with Balcony

The pillows were small and flat. Not being a Hilton Honors member, Wi-Fi cost $9.95 per day...silly when majority of hotels offer free Wi-Fi. Also, had to pay an additional $25.00 per day for parking.

Great restaurant and bar located at property. The staff was very friendly and always eager to assist. The cookies are yummy, too!

The mattresses we slept on had urine stains all over and there was mold around tub! If I had wanted to sleep on mattresses full of urine, I would have stayed in an $70 dollar motel and wouldn’t have paid over $800 for 3 nights!!

• King Room with Balcony - High Floor

The person at the front desk was pompous and unfriendly. The bathroom needed some repairs. Toilet roll holder was loose. The shower rod was corroded and unsightly. We arranged for two rooms which were supposed to have balconies. Neither one had a balcony. Windows Very dirty.

When we said good morning to the housekeeping man he barely acknowledged us.

We arrived 2 hrs before check in and we were allowed to check in. We have a special needs son and getting him to his room makes for a better trip.

The rooms had plumbing problems. They were making renovations, sometimes noisy. the lobby was not comfortable to sit in. Parking is good but very expensive. rooms were comfortable but expensive

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

Hotel undergoing a remodel. If I had known I would have booked elsewhere as it is disruptive and noisy. The bathrooms are looking a bit tired and I was charged $2.95 for a bottle of water I didn't drink. It was supposed to be removed from my bill, but this didn't happen. I feel US$25 per night for parking in an unsupervised lot is pretty steep, other hotels in the area include parking in the room price.

In general the staff were excellent and were very helpful when there were issues with the hot water in my room. Very comfy beds

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

The hotel was undergoing major refurbishment which we were not told about at the time of booking. Facilities were severely limited, Charged full rates through Booking.com while others staying at same time paid 30% less.

Hotel is under Construction,check in time is 3pm room was not ready till almost 5pm they lost my bags apon check in, smoking room was not optional, rude employees! the night front desk manager Daniel did his best to Accommodate our stay with a free breakfast and a comp night, but our email hotel Receipt is still showing im still charge for everything called and left messages and sent emails still waiting on a response. I have to say this was one of my WORST hotel experience.

Food was good

the breakfast is very expensive though what was presented are common breakfast meal. we paid more than what was written on the catalog and seems that the server hurries us to leave even though the place is not that full. sad feeling though.

the cookies given during check-in , my daughter loves it!! the area is clean. the location is very close to the shopping center as well as food courts. very nice place at very affordable price. I highly recommend this to my friends or will visit once again this month.

• King Room with Balcony

No complimentary coffee. Broken elevators. No help with bags. Not sure bill is correct. 2 nights at $99 doesn't come to $238. Then $44 for parking. Poor service in restaurant.. No receipt for hotel stay. Poor directions from hotel staff. This was 1515 Hotel Circle South.

that there was taxes that i was not informed and i realized until the end, I dont like hidden charges, also the bed was a bit uncomfortable, specially when you are travelling you expect to a least have a good rest on a comfy bed.

I liked that the staff was very friendly and helpful

My only complaint is that they want to charge $25 for parking. If one is a return customer, or, say if a guest eats breakfast or another meal in the restaurant, there should be no charge for parking.

The pool, gym and jacuzzi areas were outstanding. The beds were comfortable and the business office services were also excellent. They had both Mac and PCs. I did not eat at the restaurant, but did enjoy the handy Starbucks in the lobby.

The hotel is getting older and in need of some mechanical upgrades. On the first day, a pipe in our room needed to be replaced due to clogged sink, and we had to move rooms, but they accommodated us immediately when we reported it. Maintenance was fast to assist. Also, the toilet paper holders seem to be falling apart in many rooms. (We stayed in 3 different rooms as there were 5 of us). One of the sliding bathroom doors was stuck a few times so I couldn't get out, but my family helped me. There aren't any movies available to order on their tv's if you are on an extended stay.

Warm cookies of course! Sliding doors very cool. The staff is most excellent. We have stayed at plenty of hotels on vacation as a family, and we all agreed staff were all kind, helpful, and willing to do whatever it took to keep us satisfied, even the bartender gave us milk one night when all was closed because we came back very late! This is our second time staying here in the last few years, and we still had a fabulous experience. 7Th floor was quiet, the pool is awesome, and the workout facility is bigger than many hotels. The beds are very comfortable, and the cleaning staff is serious about doing their jobs as demonstrated by the cleanliness of our rooms every day for 4 days! The cafe was awesome too, and is open long hours. The two staff there were equally kind and Starbucks brand coffee refills are .75. Hotel is located across from mts which took us on a day trip to Seaport Village, and could've also easily taken us to Little Italy and Gaslamp District if we chose to go to all for $7 a person day pass. Be careful, we are from Chicago, so we are used to public transportation. Otherwise, uber was super reliable to zoo and to Lake Murray area, but Lyft was not. Also, hotel is located right next to a wood fire restaurant which was excellent. Lots of great beers, and their wood fired shrimp, and Tri Tip were good, but the mac and cheese was extremely cheesy if you like that! We also had breakfast at Mimi's about 4 blocks walking distance, which had the most delicious homemade muffins (staff recommended and they were right)!

Our first night we had a balcony , that was great , the roll away bed wasn't very comfortable . We moved to a 2qeen room . The view was ok . Over all we lloved our choice . I will not ever use booking . Com again . However . Very very very bad deal with our rental home in San Clemente . Long story , they cancelled on us & then blamed it on us or the red awning or wrong email address & they did not respond to my questions when we were going to get into our rental - until the am before . This was a vacation we were planning on with family From all over . It was very inconvenient to say the least. I had to scramble to find other accommodations. Nothing that booking.com offered us at the last moment would accommodate my family coming in or even us. I will never ever use Booking.com again. They change the story and blamed it on my credit card and blamed it on me blame it on a wrong email address . The fiasco just kept going on I dropped it I didn't want to use the last minute accommodations they were scrambling to find us. We found our own hotel room in San Clemente and then came back to San Diego and we had to change our lives over the Thanksgiving weekend because of this mishap. I believe you can check the notes. To confirm what has transpired. We drove all the way from Montana which takes two days with two grandkids and my husband and myself meeting my son and his girlfriend here as well as a nephew. You're in business to please customers call , it wasn't done . You failed . Thank you for listening to my complaints.

Guest should be advised of the Security deposit before arriving to the hotel. Parking is terrible. $25 to park in the hotels parking structure, or they have "complimentary" parking on the street, on the side of the Hotel. It was a long walk from the car, to the room with all of our luggage.

Great Hotel, very nice for the price and area

I don't feel paying 24.00 for the night in your parking structure will bring people coming back when there are so many other choices. I always book there when I'm on town but will think twice regarding the parking

Check in was fast

We really weren't happy that you had to pay for parking if you wanted your car parked in the garage ( we parked in the street every night which was right there but still felt as though the garage should be part of staying there) We also weren't happy that we had to pay for wifi!!! What the heck!!! Lastly, water bottles were $3.00!!!! Hahhaha. Are you kidding me?!?!?!

The people there were extremely nice, friendly and helpful!!! We were very happy there bcz of all the staff!!! They made our stay extra special and so fun!!!!

The free internet is a lie. They only have free internet in the lobby; and there is no free internet connection in the room. You need to pay at least around 10 dollars to access to internet which only support you check emails !

• King Room with Balcony

$24/day for parking is ridiculous. I also saw multiple bugs in my room on the walls and the curtains. I also paid extra for a balcony but not to face the rooftop of a parking lot and no frig in the room.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

1st room- 4th floor where a fan sat blowing in main hallway Broken Sliding Bthrm door - wouldn't move Broken toilet paper fixtures Thermostat wouldn't maintain set temp Bed was hard Called front desk. Maintenance repaired bathroom door but was unable to repair thermostat. I told him That we had plans and would deal with it later. After returning from dinner that evening, I walked down to complain at the front desk. The supervisor on duty, said he would move us the "next day" to a "luxury suite" on the the 10th, 11th, or 12th floor. The next morning, we went down with our luggage, to the front desk to get our new room. The supervisor that helped me was not available. I explained to the manager on duty what had transpired and she said she could not do that, that they had no such luxury suite. After checking, she said all she could do was switch our room to a high level floor room with a balcony and a fridge. 2nd room- Upper level room (I believe 11th floor) Entry door malfunctioned - upon entering, the door to enter the room hit the floor tile, preventing it from opening enough to properly enter. Room was smaller - too small (we had 3 adults) Balcony - a joke, barely room for one person to stand on. Went back to front desk and explained. The manager said they had no better rooms, that she could only put us in a room that was the same as we originally had, but with a balcony, and (after my inquiring) she could have a fridge delivered to our room. I suggested to her, that for all the issues and inconveniences, that in my opinion, our room for the first night be comped. She said she was not able to do that but could only discount it.

The cookies and the location.

The charge for on site parking was ridiculous, so we looked for parking across the street from the hotel.

The staff were very helpful and friendly! The room was clean and comfortable, and our floor was quiet. And of course, the cookies were yummy!!

Parking is very expensive at the hotel, but you can park on the street for less money. Also, you have to pay extra for WiFi.

Nice, big, clean room. Good pool.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

Called three times to get sink unclogged. Bathroom has musty smell. Black flakes came out of A/C vent. Ottoman stained with something bright yellow.

Check in was good and cookie excellent. Room spacious clean. Bed ok nothing to write home about.

• King Room with Balcony

The wifi wasn't free the location wasn't the best the staff was not nice the day of check in but my check out the lady was extremely nice ! It was over priced and I didn't get much use out of my stay

The rooms where very nice and well cleaned

Hotel parking $24/ day rip off

Two pools, Jacuzzi, over all very clean and free Parking on the street next to the Hotel, Very friendly staff, a lot of Restaurants, fast food and stores near by.

• King Room with Balcony

Since our arrival, we get charged for everything, Parking Lot 24.00 USD per day, Wi-if 9.00 Usd per day, additional bed for kids 10.00 Usd. Per day, then we came into the room, the main door can't be completely open because it get stuck with the floor, then the balcony window was open and very hard to close it so I call maintenance requesting help to close it but in the 4 days they never appeared. We want to use the coffe maker, and oh surprise it had dirty water on the tank since I don't know when, we use a glass for drinking milk and the glass stays for 2 room without being changed, they do not vacuum the room floor because my daughter accidentally drop some cereal and after they funished the cleaning the cereal was still there. Too expensive hotel for what they have to offer. Last time I stay here.

The location is excellent!

Went to take a bath and relax and water/mildew damage underneath the sink. Paint was pealing off the ceiling above the shower. For the cost of the room things need to be cleaned up better. Also I wanted a cookie so bad, but they had NUTS in them. Stop making cookies with NUTS or at least walnuts.

We loved how largevthr rooms were. The beds were great. Indoor and outdoor pool.

Parking fee is not included on the room payment and they do not have free wifi. But overall I do love this hotel! My kids even agreed that this is a nice hotel.

Bed is comfortable. I like how we have the pool view and the room has a lot of spaces that me and my children can move around without bumping into each other.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

We looked out our window to view the black top of a building` a horrible view. Also, they said they'd give me a wake-up call and didn't call me. Luckily I set the alarm on m cellphone just in case this happened. They also didn't offer my son and I the cookies they promise.

• King Room with Balcony

The dine in room service breakfast was delicious, seasoned well, fast, and plentiful for an extremely reasonable price. Centrally located near freeways and trams. Front desk staff helpful, Shea and concierge know the city.

• King Room with Balcony

Through the bathroom vent you could hear voices from other rooms at times ( kind of creepy).

We like staying there because of location, access to trolley and close to Fashion Valley & Mission Valley stores. Also having bookstore, restaurants, and movies close by is a plus.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

No hot water one day and one day no maid service.

We were first put next to a room with a constant screaming, crying baby and they moved us right away when we complained

At the room cost it should have included a mini refrigerator.

The buffet breakfast was very good but cost $18...and a extra $5 for the egg cooking station.

We love going to San Diego and consider ourselves experienced travelers. This hotel is perfectly located for traveling around the city but its also very quiet (no freeway noise). I like that the train has a stop in front of the hotel in case you want to take it downtown. This hotel was perfect for us and we will be staying there again over the holidays.

• King Room with Balcony

Seemed super over priced! Charged us for parking each night and wanted to charge us for Wifi as well but we opted-out. I booked a room with a balcony and it was not worth it. The balcony was small, two people could barley fit out their comfortably and had a horrible view of the roof below. When i arrived late afternoon i noticed that there was no hair dryer as i asked the front desk to send one up. Later that night there was still no hair dryer and i had to ask the front desk another two times for one and finally gave up and just asked out of the house keepers and she was great and brought one to us right away.

The bed was comfortable and the cookies were great. Lobby was very clean and resturant looked nice, did not eat there though. I did leave some items in my room after leaving town. Security was very quick, efficent and very friendly while trying to find my items for me. He even went and looked for them right when i called and got back to me right away.

Pillows seemed small. The sink clogged up but they fixed it within an hour.

Linens and bedding, very quiet hotel, two pools and hot tub, very nice in hallways.

• King Room with Balcony - High Floor

Parking in the garage was $24 a day. Street parking was free but very limited. WiFi was only free after signing up for the Hilton rewards (which was free).

I slept great but my husband didn't like the bed as much (and in hotels I'm usually the picky one). The staff took care of all our concerns immediately and were fun and professional

Breakfast wait, and can't get mimosas or bloody Mary's. we came for vacay and we're disappointed with that. Beds were stiff

Breakfast was expensive and not much other places around. Can't get mimosas or bloody Mary's either with breakfast. Restaurant staff always seemed rushed and short staffed. Main attraction was buffet but we ordered omlets and it took forever

Room service was Great! The rooms were spacious for My family. My child loved the indoor and outdoor pools. The hotels is just 10 minutes away from Sea World and the beach. It is super close to shopping and other restaurants.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

The "free" breakfast included was cold; everything from the eggs to the sausage and potatoes. When the staff was notified no one offered to do anything about it. I ate cold cereal for breakfast! At the bar, the bartender had no idea how to make a strawberry Mohito; the manager had to make it for me. I would not book reservations here again.

I was originally booked in a room with a direct view of the parking lot of the shopping center next door on a very low floor, and I was told this was an upgrade. I am sure my reservation read that I was suppose to be in a high floor king room with a balcony. I asked to be placed in a room on a higher floor. And was accommodated.

The hotel is right next to a train station. The train blows a horn as it pulls into the station. Woke me up EARLY each morning. Ugh! Our ice bucket was dirty. Had to call Housekeeping twice to bring another one. The balcony floor was dirty.

Noise early in the morning both days I stay . They woke me up ... guessing they where fixing the room next to are room . Sink keep clogging up.

Clean hotel . Perfect location next to restaurants and shopping center

Already mention dinner facilities.

Did not like having to eat in bar area instead of a restaurant. Menu too limited. I did appreciate the proximity to University of San Diego since we were attending graduation.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

• King Room with Balcony

No room service all 3 days I was there not once did they take out the trash or give me fresh towels and on website it said there was a $24 parking fee no where did it say it was a per day fee

The view from our room, food near by.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

Is a very good hotel not to count with free internet and parking for the costumers We has to pay for this and dont think is fair I should be included with the price of the hotel

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

Every one was friendly and extremely helpful. Faculty was comfortable and quite. We enjoyed the bar area to meet together as a family and talk and visit.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

The breakfast was really expensive (we didn't order any food while there).

The staff was very friendly. We were supposed to get a room with a balcony & they didn't have one available so they offered up free parking instead. We drive a F-350 & it wouldn't fit in the parking garage so they allowed us to park it right in front of the hotel in the drop off parking. They also gave us free wi-fi.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Bath Tub - Disability Access

Housekeeping came so late in the day that we had to skip having them tidy up in first day. We left for a majority of the day, came back at 3 and room still wasn't cleaned. Although there is plenty of parking around, the hotel charges $24 a day to park! I had no idea and this was NEVER mentioned until check out.

Pictures matched the facility. Location close to highway.

I booked 2 rooms and the rooms didn't have a mini frig or a nice bathroom. I've been staying in one of ur Hilton hotel as long as I can remember, I guess I prefer the embassy vs double tree, I did like the room service more, my major complaint was parking you had it on sight but you charged 25 per day and no other options but street parking and there was hardly any available

Clean

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

Tile in bathroom was cracked. Toilet paper holder was loose and kept falling. Water in shower would back up. Room had two thermostats. lol! And none of them worked. We went out all evening and came back to room at midnight, turned down the thermostat and didn't get any cool air.....so fell asleep on top of covers. It was stuffy trying to get ready to check out.

fruit, mango smoothie and oatmeal. Eggs were good.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

No refridgerator, no microwave, horrible coffee in room, I was supposed to have discounts on parking and breakfast vouchers. When I mentioned this to the clerk he said he was not aware of this.

Room was large and clean.

cost of parking on the property was too expensive and we were not informed of it a head of time. We also thought the room would come with a refrigerator and it didn't. We later found out you had to request it at an additional cost of $10.00. We had to wait for our room and when our room was ready the bathroom floor had someone's hair strands on the floor which made feel the floor had not been cleaned. Also the only towel bar was nearly broken. All this wasn't so bad if we were staying in a less expensive hotel but we expected more for our money. We probably would not stay there another time.

The overall property was very nice. The staff was very nice.

The staff member at checkout was not clear about how my parking ticket would work when I left the lot. In the end, the ticket that I had validated on checkin did allow me to exit the gate.

The room was a nice size and clean.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

• King Room with Balcony - High Floor

Seemed like everytjing was an extra cost- thought wifi was free- turns out only in the lobby. Flight didn't leave till 5:pm almost 200 to stay till then- know the hotel was not full.

• King Room with Balcony

As soon as I walked into the restroom I noticed that they didn't even bother to change the used complimentary hand soap, from the previous guest. Sobthat made me wonder if they hand changed the towels and bedding in the room at all. The room lacked cleaninless throughout the room

I liked the inside pool! My niece loved it

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Balcony

The balcony was a little small. And over looked the lower level roof top.

The breakfast and lounge were wonderful. The housekeeping service was friendly and considerate. The room was beautiful. The beds were cozy.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

• King Room with Balcony

This place just felt like I was over paying for fake nice construction. there is a 24 dollar parking structure fee. They have extremely expensive add ons for everything. Expect to over pay for literally everything here.

Everybody was polite and profession, it was clean and well put together.

my phone service did not work in the hotel

They sold out of the room I reserved so she upgraded me to a room with a balcony, which was very nice. the bed was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

Wi-fi charges.

Comfortable, quiet room. Also the location on the trolley line to get into Old Town and the main area of San Diego. Very helpful concierge, I can't remember his name but he was originally from Perth, Australia, our hometown!

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

• King Room with Balcony - High Floor

Parking rate high. Pillows okay but could be better to make overall comfort excellent.

Great facilities and staff and convenient location to surrounding SD area. Very good breakfast (included in special rate) that added to value.

The smell of the room(bathroom) their solution was to spray some air freshener, the smell went away but come back later on. Don't get me wrong, if it wasn't for the smell , "things would've been perfect!

Location, staff, comfy bed

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

The shower and sink fixtures were horrible. They did not work properly as if they were of a low quality. The dark trim around slider to bathroom was splattered with drops (water). This should be wiped down. Sure could have used a mini refrigerator.

The bed was comfortable and the location for restaurants and shopping great. The staff was cordial and helpful and Our Valet, Noor was outstanding.