Reviews of DoubleTree by Hilton Virginia Beach 3 stars

1900 Pavilion Drive, Virginia Beach, VA 23451, USA

#29 of 105 hotels in Virginia Beach

• Reviewed: 27 September 2018

The room was disappointing because of the a/c and bed.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The a/c was not cold enough and kept shutting off and there was no way to make it colder. The bed was too soft and uncomfortable.

Room was clean. Food was excellent. Location was good. They let us have early check-in.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

Nice hotel.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds with Bath Tub - Disability Access/ Non-Smoking

The first room we were in was not in good condition, the tub leaked into our room and the sink was dirty every morning we woke up. But we were switched and got a very clean room with no issues.

Quiet location, and great staff willing to help with anything we needed.

Great option
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast wasnt really great. I've had better breakfast at hotels where it was included with the stay.

Its about a 20 minute walk from the boardwalk. They have a shuttle bus that runs often to take you back and worth to the boardwalk. The drivers were absolutely amazing loved all of them.

Very dissatisfied with the accommodations or lack there of.

They changed our room at check-in. The room assigned the air was broken, the tv/cable was broken, some of the bulbs were blown and there was no microwave in the room. The maintenance guy found a dusty and dirty microwave in the basement. We had to call front desk back asking them to clean it. They did. The maintenance guy changed the bulbs and tried to fix the cable. He worked on that room over two hours. We asked if we could get another room. The maintenance guy said he could get us a discount of $15.00 off of the buffet breakfast the restaurant in the Double Tree had. When we went to the front desk they said they didn't have another king sized bedroom available, but they had a double. I asked if that was the best they could do. They said yes that's all they can do because we purchased thru Booking.com. They couldn't refund any money. I reminded them that they highly inconvenienced us and they couldn't give a free night stay or anything? The front desk clerk said she talked to her manager and he said she couldn't because we purchased thru Booking.com. They gave us a coupon for a free appetizer at the restaurant. We paid for a room with a king bed in it. Having to sleep in the room with double beds that were just a little bit larger than a twin bed was not how we wanted to spend our vacation. We were totally unsatisfied with our stay and the POOR accommodation. Does this send the message that you shouldn't use Booking.com? Booking.com please help.

DTBHVB

Great staff, clean room, restaurant downstairs has good food. The hotel was a fair distance from the beach but they do offer free shuttle service. Overall, I had a great stay and will be staying if I’m ever in Virginia Beach area again.

Location, staff was very nice and knowledgeable, facility...

For the price I feel the rooms should have microwave's, as well as offer continental breakfast for guest, the toilet wasn't functioning properly had to call front desk several times before maintenance arrived my refrigerator wasn't cooling Adequately

Location, staff was very nice and knowledgeable, facility was clean

The restaurant Max and Ermas was good!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The attentiveness to the fact that the room smelled musty. I brought my concern that the room smelled and made my Mom an I congested feeling. Then upon check out, which was a whole day early, was asked how was my stay..my response was not so good the room is musty. The front desk staff said ok your checked out. They were generous with the cookies however it would have been a more comfortable stay if I could have breathed better in the room.

The restaurant Max and Ermas was good!

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Bathroom was not the best, alot of rust, cold showers, pet friendly, dogs everywhere,a tick crawled on my cousin while we were sitting in the lobby, front desk said " they could not do anything because we could not prove it came from the hotel

Great Staff, Clean rooms, Great food, Awesome Atmosphere!!!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

There wasn't complementary breakfast. No balcony.

I liked everything about the hotel. The staff was friendly and polite. They gave us hot fresh baked cookies. The rooms were clean and the bathrooms. The restaurant was great. The Food was delicious, hot and fresh. The waiter/ bartender has the best customer service you would want. This should have been my first choice of hotels not second. The beach is only a few minutes away. I'm glad I choice this hotel.

The shuttle drivers were super friendly!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

This is the kind of hotel experience I would expect to have if I were paying $130/night, not double that. The breakfast was not included in the room price (although I thought it was when I booked), so with 2 adults and 2 small kids, plus tip, I paid an additional $45 each morning for us to eat. On our first full day, we got back from the beach around 2:30 and our room hadn't been cleaned, yet. The shuttle drop-off location was still a 3 block walk from the beach entrance. I'll be staying somewhere different the next time I go to Virginia Beach.

The shuttle drivers were super friendly! We really enjoyed chatting with them. The beds were comfortable.

A bed you don't want to get out of!

The bed was comfy, the blanket and pillows were soft as a cloud, the shower was warm and comfortable, and the staff was friendly and efficient. What more can you ask for?

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

The lobby good but the housekeeping was very poor .
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The lobby good but the housekeeping was very poor .they didn't change the bed sheet and towels we are not happy at the check out time the front desk attendant she didn't gave us thank you gift I saw when she gave to other customers.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Very unsatisfactory for the amount of money you pay nightly. Very uncomfortable,uncleanliness hotel.

We were very displeased with the cleanliness of the hotel. The elevators have an odor. The hallways have an odor as well and were NEVER vacuumed. Not once. The rooms have an old mildew smell. Dirty curtains,ceilings and walls. The toilets don’t flush and the bathtub was very dirty. The beds felt unsanitary and dusty. This hotel needs a total makeover (except the lobby). Too much money for this type of hotel stay. Will not ever be staying here again.

We liked the location of the hotel. As well as the lobby.

Comfortable stay but it ain’t the Ritz!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Linens didn’t always look like they were fully cleaned. Moldy grout and broken stopper in shower

Great staff. Excellent location with shuttle bus to beach. Nice pool. Rextaurant in hotel good

Very clean, and a 2 min drive from the beach.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

No laundry room. Had to do laundry at a laundromat.

Very clean, and a 2 min drive from the beach. Staff was very welcoming each time you entered and exited the building. Max and Erma restaurant in hotel lobby had good food. Overall a solid hotel where you get your money’s worth.

Anxiety provoking.

We could hear our next door neighbors talking, arguing as well as babies crying/screaming. Made relaxing and sleeping difficult. Not at all worth the price!!

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

The room was perfect for my sister and I.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The room was perfect for my sister and I. We stayed for three nights and everything was amazing. The only thing that went wrong was that the battery died on our room key reader. We went down to the front desk and got it fixed in a matter of 10 minutes. They also gave us two free breakfast buffets as a part of their “make it right” policy. We will definitely be staying here again.

Best Vacation ever
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

When our stay was over, that was one thing we have no choice of due to work. We had to leave, but we missed Double Tree. We did not wanted to leave due to how enjoyable the place was and staff was so understanding.

My family and I was really surprised by the 2 rooms we had. The rooms was beyond our expectations. The staff was excellent. We did not knew about the complimentary the hotel have for customer. The hotel have special bus that takes their guest to the beach from morning to night. I mean to and fro. It was really enjoyable staying at Double Tree. We asked for microwave and they make that available for us in our room. Which was again great customer service.

The Cookies were delicious
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The schedule of the last shuttle should be adjusted Maybe 11,45 Instead of 21,45

The Cookies were delicious And the shuttle drivers are really Funny guys

The staff were helpful and personable especially the shuttle...

The beds were small and some things throughout the hotel seemed to need repair.

The staff were helpful and personable especially the shuttle drivers and waiters at restaurant.

It’s really close to the beach.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

It’s really close to the beach.If you don’t want to take your car , they offer a hotel shuttle van till 10pm . Very clean ! Room, lobby and pool area !!

It was a great stay if i had to stay there again i would.

The breakfast at the restaurant was not that good and it cost to much.

The hotel was great, it was clean and comfortable and the staff was friendly. Wouldnt recommend the breakfast though it was to expensive and it didnt taste all that great.

I liked how the hotel accommodated my request for a king bed...

Elevator service was EXTREMELY slow and delayed my checkout time by 20 minutes. The ceiling of our hotel room had several dirty spots. There was also a crayon marking across the heading of the bed which had not been removed prior to check-in leading me to question the overall cleanliness of the hotel.

I liked how the hotel accommodated my request for a king bed and how soft the pillows were. The cookies provided at check-in were good as well! Proximity to Virginia Beach is a great benefit!

Was not good for the price.

The air conditioner made a lot of noise when it was on. The bathroom door was sticky. Meaning every time that we used the bathroom we had to closed the door and it became stuck so we had to give a slight pull to get the door to open. The drain stopper was missing out of the sink, the drain in shower was slow to drain. We were in room 511.

It was clean and the bed slept good.

For the price it should have been a lot better
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Put us oh pet floor and dogs barked all night; very noisy in hall (4th floor) from doors slamming to people talking. Didn’t get to sleep til after. 3:30 am. The shower wouldn’t drain water properly

Location; staff

Cookies...yes please!!!!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Since i only stayed one night, i thought everything was great. I didnt like that i had to leave.

The fresh, warm cookies at the front desk. Also the inside pool was great too.

Nice place to stay

The commode down almost if the floor. They are to low... And they shown one price and charged another price.

The professionalism from the front door to the maid service.The smiles at the front desk and informational where great place to eat seafood. And the restaurant in the building was Great. And they allowed our service 4 legged daughter to feel welcome also.Nice stay there will stay there again

The staff were very nice and helpful.

The staff were very nice and helpful. The room was clean and the shuttle bus drivers were amazing. Great experience over all, highly recommend to others.

Except for the non smoking part, it was a very nice stay.

I'm so sick & tired of smokers being treated like 2nd class citizens! Our money is just as good as non smokers & there is no reason not to have rooms that we can smoke in. I actually went out to the one bench that is provided & two non smokers were there. They wouldn't let me sit down & got nasty with me about my smoking. 100% uncalled for! Also, the comforters are quite old & worn, the insides look about 100 yrs old.

The staff is excellent! The beds & pillows extra comfy, I slept great! Cookies are delicious! Having Max & Erma's right there is wonderful, the food is so very good & the staff is great there as well.

Excellent staff all of them ,especially hospitality !

I was charged $50 holding fee that wasn't disclosed. Water started to go out and pulsing while taking a shower.

Excellent staff all of them ,especially hospitality !

I was not able to sleep due to dogs barking

Was not informed a dog show was going on was up all night due to dogs barking could not sleep. Dogs should have not been on the same floor plus had allergy symptoms from the dogs. For this kind of hotel and money spent I should have been able to sleep all night not having dogs on the floor with me barking the entire night. People standing outside with pets outside my room. I feel my stay was worthless due to not being able to sleep.

Food

Pet friendly.

The temperature in the room was inconsistent. The room would become to cold before the heat came back on.

Pet friendly. Nice outside area for the dog. Staff was very friendly. Easy walk to the convention center.

Everything was clean!
    • King Room - Mobile Access with Tub/Non-Smoking

My phone & computer will not accept/connect to the wireless because it is not secure. This was not an issue in the past, but it is now. It used to work for me, but now I get the message that the site is not safe.

Everything was clean! Bed is comfortable, water is nice and hot!

The staff was great!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The other side of the building was being worked on which led to dust in the hallway. There was a flimsy piece of plastic as a barrier to the other side of the hallway; however it was never secure and flapped around day and night.

The staff was great!

To small for the money

The room.... it was smaller then usual and the window and wall seemed to be poorly renovated. It actually seemed as if the window was the length of the wall at one point but then they sealed it up. It was really weird and uncomfortable, not to mention ugly. Felt like I was in a closet or box w the lack of window.. will not stay there again .

Doubletree Hilton Virgina Beach
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Buffet breakfast could be improved. The manager was very kind and comped our entire order. Waitstaff should be trained to know what are the buffet items, we ended up putting in additional orders of pancakes not knowing that they were included.

The friendly staff, everyone was helpful during our entire stay. We needed a room change and they accommodated us very quickly.

Highly recommend for solo traveller with pet

The 3rd floor is under remodeling, so there was no ice machine, and I placed breakfast menu on my door, but never got picked up

Very pet friendly, staff is really nice, nice location. They even allowed my dog to have breakfast with me in the restaurant

Great that we could have our little dog with us and wish we had more time to stay!

Although it is nice having real glad glass in the room, they present an incredible hazard shoun a glass break in the bathroom. We told the desk and they sent someone up. Their clean up was really bad

Comfortable bed, for sure. TV was very good.

Excellent!

I didn't like the aircrafts that kept flying after 8pm at night. The building drowned allot of the noise but was still able to hear the rumbling.

I like the location especially since it was in walking distance of the convention center. I also had a mishap of losing a family member in October, just days before arrival. There was no refund or changing the date, but this hotel understood, returned my payment and I booked back with them in November.

Extremely Disappointed

Staff were very very rude. On first day I requested a bottle of water and that lady at the reception was extremely rude in saying that this bottle will be chargeable, which I completely understand, but there is a way in saying that. This is hospitality industry and you need to be nice with your customer. If one can spend 200 bucks for the room, 2 or 3 additional does not matter. Be nice to your customer. This was not what I was expecting from Hilton at least. I need to come to VA beach next again, but I am not going to book this hotel, no way. I will go to Marriot instead

Location is good.

Delightful
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

However there was one peticular baggage mover that was quite desrrspectable to others on the elevator more than twice

The nice lady cleaning our floor was just a busy bee, with a bright smile every time we saw her and it brightened our days, and of course Barbara in the lobby area who happens to be from our home of Texas was such a delightful lady

It was a pleasant and relaxing trip plus the weather was great. I will surely come back again and r.

The pillows for the bed are a little too hard for my liking but that's just me so I always bring my own pillow to remedy that.

Bed was so comfy. Restaurant very good, shuttle bus service/driver really helped convenience and location a plus to getting around other areas outside the city. Hotel staff recommended two good restaurants which were great. Catch 31 and Waterman's Surfside Grille.

Nice get away

Distance to beach

Most everything and everyone was great, didn't realize the beach was three miles away, would have been ok if the pool would have been outdoors. They do have a shuttle that runs all day to take you down to the beach.

Beach fun

The bath tube flooded and the problem was not solved by the time we left. Probably a problem with the drain. The windshield of our car was cracked during our stay in the free parking. We just noticed in our way back to Blacksburg.

Location and staff courtesy.

The bed and pillows were very comfortable.

The bed and pillows were very comfortable. Anything we needed from housekeeping was immediately provided. The complimentary shuttle service and drivers were excellent. There wasn't a time we weren't greeted when we came back to the hotel or wished a good day when we left. The food experience was better than that of a much recommended location downtown.

Wonderful!

No complaints!

The staff was very nice and efficient. Loved the comfort of the bed. The room was very nice. We enjoyed the free cookies given out at the front desk. Also enjoyed the free bus shuttle to the beach and back.

We'd definitely stay here again!
    • King Room - Mobile Access with Tub/Non-Smoking

We initially booked a room with two full-size beds, but the AC wasn't well-marked - no sign to tell us to use the wall thermostat instead of the AC's built-in controls. Also, the air smelled stale. But the staff responded promptly to our request for a different room, and upgraded us to a king-size room on a higher floor, with better view. We asked for a late (3pm) checkout so that we could spend time at the beach and keep our parking spot at the hotel. The staff was happy to accommodate, but charged us $50. This seemed a bit too high, even for the tourist season. We felt that $25 would have been more appropriate.

Great location, close to the beach - beach shuttle very prompt and comfortable (driver friendly and very helpful, made extra runs to accommodate all the guests). Hotel staff very friendly and helpful.

Double Tree made our stay pleasant and very satisfied with their service.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Although the swimming pool was good, I will suggest using a little bit less Clorox in the water. The swimming pool was too plain. It needs more decoration, especially for the kids. Make it more attractive thinking about them.

During our stay at Double Tree, my family and I enjoyed the swimming pool, the breakfast buffet, staff was courteous and helpful. We also love the cleanliness, nice fragrance, and courtesy of cleaning staff. Overall, we will consider coming back on our next vacation.

Great stay! Would do it Again! Booked Doubletree again in Myrtle Beach! Couldn't resist cookies!

Nothing to remark on...

Great hotel, great location, nice hotel restaurant, down to earth food, tastes good. We ate breakfast buffet and dinner on both days we stayed. Worked out just fine. Loved the beach shuttle, comfortable, great driving staff, polite, on time, easy peasy way to get a short beach time. LOVED the welcome cookies! Don't miss out on those!

Excellent hotel for all occasions

Did not like the fact that the bar closed so early. Would love to see it open at least til one on Friday and Saturday nights with light snacks.

The hotel is beautiful - maybe 7 minutes from the beach and close to all attractions. I liked he fact that there is a resturant there.

Very Disappointed 😢

No kitchen or even microwave in room for convenience.. Our Room leak from ceiling water like " waterfall " . Very uncomfortable for HOURS.. Did not get moved until " next DAY".

None smoking room.

The staffs were out standing and constantly smiling.

The staffs were out standing and constantly smiling. I want to a specifically admire one person whom I think deserve to be recognize and had outstanding customer service. His name is Ernest and works 3pm to 11pm.

I would revisit

The pool water could have been cleaner...

The property was very convenient to get to everywhere we needed to go... The staff was awesome and the property was very clean..

It was very relaxing
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Swimming pool was dirty, carpets in some of the floors was horrible, very dirty , some of the equipments in the gym were nor working

I like the place because the parking lot is big, in general customer service is good besides one or two people

It was good.

The coffee. It is blocking the hole of the coffee maker since the the coffee wraper is so thick. The water cannot get through it. The shower. The water flows on the floor since the shower floor is flat. It is dangerous for guests. Someone might slip when the guest gets out of the shower because the floor gets wet.

The room, the pool and restaurant.

BEST HOTEL IDEA - you don't have to be on the beach, the luxury is worth taking the free shuttle.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Parking was great but I literally got the last spot. The entire hotel was booked so the lot was packed. They must have overflow somewhere. Totally convenient and free!!

Excellent property, they had a bus to the beach, staff was amazing. Maintenance guys were on top of it when called about a small noise.

Completely enjoyed my stay
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The cost was way too high!

The location was super close to my daughter's dance competition at the Convention Center. IT WAS ABSOLUTELY PERFECT! We even walked to and from the center to the hotel. It was great.

hotel uninformed of meal rates offered by booking.com

We were disappointed in the service. Front desk checked us out on Sunday and we were booked till wednesday. On Monday key didn't work. Very disappointing and stressful vacation.

It was great.

The temperature in the room went from comfortable and cool to really hot while we were sleeping. Made us wake up early but other than that it was great.

It is a good hotel but when you use a third party to make reservation they are not so friendly.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

i did reservation for king size bed and they gave me double bed..couldn't fit my husband because he is very tall....they couldn't fixed give me another one .I got disappointed.

the facilites are great!!!

Would definitely recommend

No microwaves in the room and no breakfast included

Loved the shuttle service, driver was amazing and very knowledgeable about the area. The hotel was clean and staff was extremely friendly and accommodating.

Will go back!!!!!!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The lady who checked us in was rude. Besides her everyone else was welcoming. Not sufficient parking spots close to the entrance.

Bed was nice and comfy. The rooms and the bathrooms were clean. The pool area was very nice adults and the kids (6, 8 & 10) enjoyed it. Location was close to the beach and main highway. Lobby area was nice.

Friendly staff, clean rooms, poor food, thin walls.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The beds were not comfortable and the walls were paper thin. We could hear the other guests in the adjoining rooms and in the hallway at all hours. The jets make a turn right by the hotel to go back to base so during the week, they were extremely loud and interrupted our sleep very early in the morning and into the later night. We ate at Max & Erma's for breakfast and dinner one day while we were there and ordered dessert to our room another day. Breakfast was bland and cold, we thought this could be due to us arriving at 10:30, so we gave them a shot for dinner but it was the same way. The chocolate cake were ordered for dessert was dry, but the fresh baked cookies were good with the ice cream that came with the cake. A huge let down compared to another Max & Erma's we have eaten at in the past. I don't think we will stay at this hotel again due to noise.

All of the staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

Mini Getaway

The shower made a loud noise when turning on the water and while in the shower.

Free cookies. Great location. Friendly staff. Two blocks away from beachfront. Exceptional for our trip to Virginia during Fourth of July.

Nice hotel
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The bathroom needs a some renovations. And rooms could be vacuumed alittle more

The staff was very nice. The shuttle to the beach was very helpful especially when we didn't want to drive daily to the beach.

Quick one night stay
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The pool area was a little rough (but it was also very busy, so no real fault of the hotel). It did smell extremely strong of chlorine, though.

The employees were very courteous and allowed us to check in a couple of hours early. The free cookie was also a nice touch! The bed was very comfortable as well.

Double tree by Hilton Va beach?? Ha!!

The staff at the front desk were rude and unprofessional at check in. They allowed dogs that barked all night. The bathroom was very small. The water was lukewarm in the shower. They didn't change the linen on the "queen" sized bed.

I honestly can't think of anything I really liked about it. My wife and I were shocked that it's affiliated with Hilton

Great place to stay

I didn't realize we were a five minute drive from the beach. They had someone soliciting time shares. The room next to us had there tv on the same wall as the headboard of the bed

The staff was great. The room was nice. The bed was comfortable. The shuttle ran every half hour to the beach.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

Enjoyable, relaxing and pet friendly
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The cookie you receive automatically came with walnuts which some people do not like and you could only get without if you were allergic to nuts. Maybe have 2 shuttles when the Virginia Convention Center are holding events because they close the roads with the shortest route to the beach. Since you are a pet friendly hotel, maybe offer treats for the pets.

The pet area The shuttle to the beach The warm cookie The refreshing drink in the lobby

Nice

We didn't like the extra cost for room service. We were on our honeymoon and would have liked to use it. I also would like a receipt for the stay. Everything else was perfect

The bed was wonderful the food at max&eras was bad we...

The bed was very comfortable and the rooms we clean

The bed was wonderful the food at max&eras was bad we stayed for 5 days and only ate there once and regretted it no microwaves in the room which make it very very inconvenience because we had to come all the way down to the lobby also we could not order moves because tour hotel did not offer that and the tv selection was very limited and we heard every conversation from the other guests and adjoining guest rooms the room should be better insulated from the noise level from the other rooms

Would stay there again - no problem.

It's time for the bathroom to get just a bit of sprucing up - torn shower curtain, ajar ceiling tiles; But, nothing major.

Bed was very comfortable and room was spacious.

The air conditioners was loud, the fridge was not cold...
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The air conditioners was loud, the fridge was not cold enough. The cleaning staff didn't change my linen even after placing the change my linen card on my bed like I was directed I had to tell him after the second request.

Perfect spot for me, mom & the dog!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Only issue was not an issue with the property but noisy neighbors, called customer service and they sent someone up promptly.

The staff was extremely polite. A young man at the front desk was especially gracious. Food from restaurant was good and room was nice. And being able to have my pet with me is always an extra bonus!

No Check-In

I never checked into the hotel and when I tried to contact about changing dates or reimbursement they weren't willing and charged my card after marking a no show on my reservation.