Reviews of Duane Street Hotel Tribeca 4 stars

130 Duane Street, Tribeca, New York, NY 10013, USA

#154 of 415 hotels in New York

Contemp chic urban-escape
    • Queen Room

The little boutique hotel is lovely for a great get-away - it’s on a big & busy street yet it’s not too noisy, the lobby is great for relaxing, reading and/or sipping a great gastronomic cocktail and/or bite with (live) music (during HH). The service is great, lovely staff, great location (close to Wall St, 9/11 memorial, Calatrava’s Oculus, Battery Park, Pier 11 (ferries)) and loved the Equinox gym pass for the day!

The staff attention, the high ceilings in the bath, the...
    • Queen Room

You could fill the subway vibrate because it runs underground nearby not a lot just a bit , I did sleep and was on the 2nd floor

The staff attention, the high ceilings in the bath, the shower the bed is super comfortable and the location is in thr middle of Tribeca

The staff was pleasant. The location was great but the hotel room wasn’t.
    • Queen Room

I was unable to sleep because of a noise coming from some unit in the building. The shower had basically zero water pressure. Only managed to wash my body by wetting the wash cloth

I was unable to sleep because there was a loud buzzing of some sort coming from above my room that was causing the entire room to vibrate which amplified the noise. The window and the lamp and the coffee machine were shaking and rattling. I called downstairs because I hadn’t heard that noise during the day. My room was on the sixth floor. Front desk said they could give me another room but I was undressed in bed already. The noise did not stop until 9:00 am the next morning. This is noise unrelated to the loud ambient noise the airconditioninjg makes when it turns on and off. The front desk seemed to be aware of the noise. He said it’s the building air conditioning unit that only works at night. The noise was so loud that even when I put my headphones on and listened to meditation music I could still hear the rattling.

Enjoyed exploring a different part of the city.

Room was small, but typical for NYC.

Clean, comfortable, quiet room. Convenient location being close to subway and restaurants. Friendly, helpful staff.

Small botique hotel with great staff.
    • Queen Room

Small botique hotel with great staff. Mellissa who is in the front desk is extremely nice and will do every thing to make the guest's stay more comfortable

overall very good and I would be happy to stay there again.
    • Queen Room

it's only a small thing but the low armchairs in the reception area were particularly uncomfortable and difficult to sit in and rise from.

The bed was especially comfortable, the staff were friendly and helpful and the location was good for both walking to nearby meetings and to travel on the subway. Excellent double glazing meant rooms were quiet although overlooking a busy road.

Superb location, but not good value for money.
    • Queen Room

Rooms do not reflect website. The word "luxurious" should be removed from the website. For example, "plush terry bathrobes" are rough and worn! The elevator is dodgy.

Staff were welcoming and friendly. Location.

Great time & great city we hope to revisit

Room could have being bigger considering bookings.com said it was suitable for family with 3 young children😀

Proximity to public transport, lovely relaxed family friendly area😀

I love having hard floors vs.
    • Queen Room

AC vent blowing over the bed and really loud. Had to turn it off at night.

I love having hard floors vs. the usual carpeting in hotels. I also loved the shower and sitting area.

Staff not prepared for property challenges

They have one elevator. It was broken. Property then became a 5 floor walk up. Phone in room was not operating. Called front desk on my cell. Needed a feather free pillow & night auditor told me that they didn’t have any at the property and that I should have arranged for one before making the reservation. She could do “absolutely nothing for me”. I “slept” on a throw pillow & checked out early. For the same $ wound up in a much better spot for the night (and they had no problems with my allergy free pillow need). I’m also fine with small rooms, but the door couldn’t be fully opened because it hit the bed. Not really comfortable for two people. All this put me off about the overall safety of the place, had there been an actual emergency.

The location in TriBeCa was fine.

I prefer small hôtels that are in Manhattan neighborhoods so...
    • Queen Room

I was originally in a room on the 3rd floor that would shake and have noise because of the subway but when I told the front desk about it they immediately moved me.

I prefer small hôtels that are in Manhattan neighborhoods so this one fit the bill.

Great location!

This was the second time I stayed at this hotel. The first time with my friends now with husband and kids. Both times, great price, nice and helpful staf, nice room and great location!

Quaint little place in a great location. Highly recommended
    • Queen Room

Had a few technical glitches with the TV and phone but maintenance was working on it. Also, the pipes knocked which was very annoying but I supposed its to be expected in such an old building. I just closed the bathroom door and couldn't hear it any more.

Quaint little place. Not many amenities, but had everything I needed for my 4 day stay. Staff was excellent! So friendly and greeted me by name when I arrived. Even helped me figure out my first subway ride. That was an adventure. The room was probably the smallest I've ever stayed in but everything was well arranged and worked out just fine. They've installed extra glass over the windows which did a good job of muffling the noise outside. Could still hear large vehicles and the subway rumbling by but a white noise app on my tablet took care of that. I'd recommend Duane Street Hotel for anyone staying in the area.

Nice stay in Tribeca for Chinese New Year.

The room was, just a bit small and difficult to get around. It was also noisy on Church Street at night. Otherwise, we have no significant complaints.

This is a small hotel. It has a small bar in reception area and also features a small restaurant called "Graffiti Earth". The staff was quite helpful all around. We tried Graffiti Earth one night (tapas or small plate style fusion of persian and indian fares) and it was excellent. Good free wi-fi. The location was great for roaming from Tribeca to Chinatown and beyond. Free passes to Equinox, a really well-equipped gym about 5 blocks away. Valet parking ($55/night) worked out ok, if not a bit pricey.

Perfect little overnight place in an amazing location with a wonderful lobby area and excellent staf
    • Queen Room

Room was drab and although I didn't expect it to be large it had zero coziness or charm. Shower faucet broke and water never got hot enough to shower although there was hot water in the sink. Staff handled it brilliantly - this stuff happens and they couldn't have been more gracious about it so it balanced out fine!

Staff was amazing very cheerful and responsive. Breakfast/coffee bar was perfect.

Little boutique hotel in a great location

- the lights on the entrance lobby was out when we arrive at night, so it was very dark - no doorman to help us when entering the property, specially when we have luggages & strollers

- love the toileteries (loccitane) - the room is clean - love the location, surrounded by restaurant, within walking distance to 9/11 tower - great coffee at the cafe on the lobby

For the price I wouldn’t stay here again.

Every time a subway went beneath us you could hear it and feel the room shake a little. The windows do not open so felt a little claustrophobia in the room. The wine at the bar is very expensive - Lucky they give you a 2 for one voucher as it cost us 16 US dollars for one glass. This was the most expensive hotel I stayed in for trip around America and my least favourite.

The staff were very accomadting and friendly. No gym in the hotel however they provide you with a free pass for a gym 5 blocks down the road.

Good location, good staff, good price, good hotel.

Room was a little small

A lovely hotel with pleasant staff and quiet. Room was nice though slightly on the small side. We took our dog who was well catered for. Tribeca is a great area away from the bustle but if you plan on being up midtown it’s a bit of a treck unless you use the subway etc.

You will never find a more friendly and attentive staff.
    • Queen Room

Nothing. Everything was perfect.

You will never find a more friendly and attentive staff. They made us feel like family. We will never stay anywhere else in NYC.

Wonderful staff, cozy lobby and bar area, no frills guest rooms.
    • Queen Room

The rooms are really bare bones. Wood floors that are pretty scratched up and definitely no luxuries, but clean and comfortable. The bathroom was adequate, however, I wish the full length mirror were in the bedroom and not tucked in behind the bathroom door as the bathroom can only be considered a very small space. Not a great location for a mirror. Also, my bedroom was directly across from the elevator, so for much of the night I was disturbed by people's conversations as they waited in the hall. Also, the pillows were terrible, but I realize this is purely based on preference. All in all, not bad facilities,

Everyone who works at Duane St. is very kind and helpful. When you walk into the lobby you have the feeling that you are being greeted by housemates, not employees of a hotel. This is especially nice for solo travelers. Also, the lobby is small but cozy, and provides an opportunity to meet fellow guests over a glass of wine. The staff is what truly makes this place special.

Very enjoyable made so by great decor, design and friendly staff
    • Queen Room

Subway can be heard faintly rumbling in some of the bedrooms and acoustic insulation between room and corridor could be improved

Great quality coffee made by genuine friendly staff in the lobby barista

Very clean and cute boutique hotel and very friendly staff.
    • Queen Room

I wasn't aware the building is located either above or very close to the subway, so had to get used to hearing that all night. Also, I believe that cable was streaming, as it continuously cut in and out which was irritating.

Very clean and cute boutique hotel and very friendly staff. The bed was very comfortable and although I didn't use it, the mini bar is well stocked with good drinks and snacks.

Perfect. Great. Wonderful.
    • Queen Room

Everything was great. They even have free/good bikes to use!!!

The staff was wonderful. Being in NYC, the staff was very knowledgeable and helpful. They talk to you about where they live and come from. I found it hard to leave because everyone of the workers was so interesting. The hotel/bar/restaurant were all perfect. I loved the view out our window. If you stay anywhere else in NYC you are missing one of the best. Hotels in the world.

Not going back.
    • Queen Room

I felt like for the money, the room felt run down and needed a fresh coat of paint and an upgrade from Ikea furniture. I also didn't like how it felt like the entire staff was hanging out in the small lounge area, making it uninviting to get a drink.

Location and access to bikes was nice.

Nice spot
    • Queen Room

Although when we booked the confirmation said we would not pay until just before we stayed, the hotel took our payment six weeks beforehand. Not only that, they took two further payments which were not authorised and did not apply to us. This also happened to the friends that were staying there at the same time. Beware of this - we have requested a refund through Booking.com - let's see what happens

Very comfortable beds. Very nice staff. Good location. The hotel bar was small but nice and I believe the tapas restaurant was good though we did not use it.

Great Location in Lower East Side
    • Queen Room

Location was very convenient to public transportation - walkable to major attractions in Lower East Side; A lot of reviews said you could feel the train underneath the hotel. We stayed on the 5th floor and didn't notice anything. We were upgraded to a superior room, which was a nice surprise (given most NYC hotel rooms, it was tiny - the door wouldn't open all the way because it hit the end of the bed, but the room was well appointed with what you needed, the bathroom was updated, and it's enough since you're not spending much time in the hotel anyway.)

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Great hotel and staff, clean, noisy street traffic

Not as centralized as I thought it would be, fortunately subway was close. Not well sound-proofed from outside you hear honking and street traffic all night along with shaking/vibrations (from subway?).

Nice clean room and super helpful staff, close to subway. Nice little coffee bar in lobby in morning and drinks at night, good place to meet people to start you day.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

great location near Chambers St underground & south manhattan sites. Staff very friendly & helpful.

all good.

excellent staff & location. in our view, the superior room is too small for two people. the rooms on levels 4 & 5 are bigger & more comfortable.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

Not worth the money, but great staff
    • Queen Room

The room was TINY. The curtains had stains on them, the floor was dirty, and the noise from the subway was significant. The photos online make the place look much nicer than it really is. The lobby is great, but the rooms were less than satisfactory for the price we paid. $375/night in New York is normal, but usually you can get something nicer than this. I won't be staying there again.

The staff was friendly, the location was pretty good, near a subway station and walking distance to nicer parts of lower manhattan, and the mattress was quite comfortable.

plentiful street parking, safe neighborhood, awesome staff,...

subway under hotel, we were on a lower floor room and it shook the whole room at times

plentiful street parking, safe neighborhood, awesome staff, very personable

Great location. Ensure you stay on 4th floor or above due to subway noise & shakes

initially given room on second floor (1st floor to us Brits). Whole room shook every few minutes when subway train ran underneath. Managed to be moved up a floor - still a bit of shaking & noise. Would recommend hotel for staff & overall concept but on proviso you were on at least the 4th floor

Friendly & helpful staff. Great overall concept & design.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Great location and stuff, extremely small rooms

The rooms were really small. It is a boutique hotel and one should not expect big rooms but we couldn't even put our suitcases on the floor. The hotel is in my opinion good for a short stay and for single visitors.

I liked the friendliness of the staff and the location! In one extremely small room one could find everything needed.

Tribeca gem in lower Manhattan - all the confort you require
    • Queen Room

Our room x04 was closed to the elevator, try to avoid these rooms because of the noise.

Great location in Tribeca, close to subway and even better, all locations in lower manhattan walking distance. Rooms are cosy, great rain shower and clean bathroom. Nights are quiet. Special thanks to the reception which helped us in finding our way around.

Sweet Tribeca Hotel

The staff was really lovely to us, just polite and friendly, without being ingratiating. In room wine was not crazy expensive (once we remembered NYC prices). Plenty of easily accessed plugs for electronics. It was in a terrific location for the Brooklyn Bridge, Twin Tower Memorial & Battery Park (our actual reason for selecting this area for a hotel).

Great value, clean European type hotel
    • Queen Room

Wasn't busy but could hear all in and out by elevator.

Felt like a European/boutique hotel. Loved the cozy duvet. Bath products L'Occtaine so high quality and smelled good. Let us keep bags and our car there after we checked out. Good bars and restaurants nearby.

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

Trendy and Modern gem in TriBeCa

Room was small and I had to open the ironing board to have a place to put my travel case.

Clean and modern style to hotel and the rooms. I was concerned having a room right on Church st. but windows are all double-glazed with a very wide air pocket and it was amazingly silent in the room. There was also a tiny fridge/ minibar where you could squeeze in a few bottles to keep cold. One elavator but no traffic at all. It was always available immediately.

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

Location, location, location.....
    • Queen Room

Room was a bit tight. No place to work out of suitcase except on bed. Not a real big problem, just a small annoyance.

Michael and Matthew at the front desk were great. Michael always remembered and called me by my name. That was really nice. Natasha, (bartender on Sunday night), was delightful.

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

The hotel was modern especially the bathroom and the staff...
    • Queen Room

The location. I guess the hotel is so close to subway and some of trains work beneath the hotel so you have got to be get used of the noice of trains. We could not open the windows even we are at first floor and because of the room is small sometimes it was hard to get a fresh air.

The hotel was modern especially the bathroom and the staff were kind

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

Ice cold room
    • Queen Room

We were there during a very very cold and snowy weekend. The aircon in our room struggled to keep it warm enough. It was only just warm enough, although we preferred to stay under the doona and wore warm clothes when moving about the room. There is no floor heating, so the floor was ICE COLD. The aircon was also extremely noisy and only had on/off functionality and an auto function which, whenever it turned on, did so with a loud "ping" that would wake us up. It sounded like a jet engine when on. For the temperature/aircon issues along, I would not stay again. The windows also need cleaning.

Good location, friendly staff. I like the modern design of the hotel.

Fantastic getaway boutique hotel in Tribeca
    • Queen Room

We liked the lobby where staff were very friendly and helpful getting us settled with what extras we wanted. We liked the New Years Ev party and special drinks. Great location. Beds and linens very comfortable.

Happy New Year at Duane Street Hotel
    • Queen Room

Can be a little noisey, but it's New York so this is not a surprise and you soon get used to the sound of the city.

Welcoming, friendly staff. Great location in TriBeCa, close to a number of good restaurants and also subway station so it's very easy to get around.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

Staff was extremely nice and accommodating - They go out of...
    • Queen Room

Room 604 is small, near elevator and housekeeping room, so noisy. Would request room away from elevator and housekeeping room.

Staff was extremely nice and accommodating - They go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable. Location is fantastic-very close to the A,C and 1 trains and close to great restaurants. Rooms are very clean.

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

Great location in TriBeCa.
    • Queen Room

For the price there could be more complimentary refreshments like lemon water, coffee (other than the Keurig in the room), and even a glass of wine and cheese in the early evening.

In general the staff was very friendly and accommodating.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

Extremely dissappointed

The hotel did not have your booking.com reservation in their system. It took me 45 minutes to check in. I did not get the room size that I paid for and the room was freezing cold. And, the coffee maker in the room did not work. I will not be back.

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

A small, friendly hotel in a very convenient location.
    • Queen Room

A small, friendly hotel in a very convenient location. We were upgraded as our original room was small and the room rate expensive.The upgrade transformed our impression of the hotel and we had an excellent stay. Thank you.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

Not Worth The Money
    • Queen Room

The hotel simply didn't live up to its website or the star-rating. It is a VERY average 3 Star hotel. Tiny place, no amenities, basic room. The room was not worth the money. * Smelly rooms

location & staff

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

A Tribeca treat
    • Queen Room

The bathroom was a bit cramped - toilet and sink too close together

Friendly, helpful atmosphere - as a boutique hotel should be. Liked the intimate tapas-style restaurant and coffee and pastries breakfast.

we put on the privacy sign and the cleaning team still came...
    • Queen Room

we put on the privacy sign and the cleaning team still came in after we repetitively told them not to. They also took our money that we left on the desk that was not intended for them as we did not want anyone to clean our room.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

The location was close to my business meetings and within a...
    • Queen Room

The location was close to my business meetings and within a few blocks of a metro stop. The room had everything I needed in a very efficient, but comfortable manner.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

great location and staff, comfortable rooms.
    • Queen Room

The pricing was a bit irregular but this is New York. Would be nice to have some healthier options fro breakfast - boiled eggs, avocado, non sugary vegetable juices etc. My room also vibrated from the subway, would've been nice to know about this before.

The rooms are really comfortable, love the beds. Bathroom is great too. Staff are super helpful.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Loved the Duane. Would stay there again!
    • Queen Room

It's NYC - so rooms are small and that is totally cool. But to make things easier - I would have loved a few more hooks and shelves in the bathroom.

Bed was big and comfy. Staff was super nice. I loved the location. Would stay again. Overall - a great experience.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Classy, Quiet, Cosy and Convenient
    • Queen Room

My stay was perfection. It would be petty to try to find fault.

I was in an upgraded room that was uniquely and stylishly designed and was spectacularly comfortable. The hotel offers a quiet and stress-free environment and the room was outfitted with everything I needed for a overnight stay. The staff was once again very courteous and professional, but not in a way that was stilted and void of personality. This is without question my go to spot in Tribeca.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Classy, Quiet, Cosy and Convenient
    • Queen Room

I was on the second floor. My view faced Church street which is a dump . There was slight molding or something on the window shades and the window itself was dirty.

Quiet, quaint, comfortable and perfect for what I needed, which was to be in the area for a morning meeting. Person on duty was very welcoming and personable and it was just a comfortable environment to spend overnight time in. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Strongly recommended
    • Corner Suite

Great room, great location.very friendly and helpful stuff.

nice place

location and the safe area

Clean hotel.
    • Queen Room

Clean hotel. Comfortable. Good location.

Friendly staff, great neighborhood

room smaller as indicated, extremely small bathroom, dirty windows. Double queen definitely too small for 4 people

Friendly staff, great neighborhood

Great location for one night in New York

The room wasn’t as nice as it seemed in the pictures. The bathrooms could use some remodeling.

Staff was very friendly

Good location, nice hotel, rooms fine
    • Queen Room

No carpet in rooms. Decorations not to my taste

Great value for the money in a quaint hotel with friendly staff. Location was awesome.

The beds were a little too soft and the room lacked mirrors.

Friendly staff, happy hour and location were great!

the room decor was nice, great bathroom and lighting

Room was a bit small for the price

the room decor was nice, great bathroom and lighting

Cozy central place with good service and Amazing beds

The bed was nothing but AMAZING

Amazing hotel in awesome location!
    • Queen Room

Amazing hotel in awesome location! Super friendly team!

Bed was comfy.

Room was small.

Bed was comfy. Front office staff very friendly

Good location, staff, and comfort.
    • Queen Room

Coffee maker didn't work.

The location is great!

Rooms were very small and their photos are deceiving.

The location is great!

Stayed for a birthday dinner in Tribeca. Convenient to walk

Elevator was extremely slow and didn’t open a few times.

Bed was comfortable

Friendly helpful staff
    • Queen Room

Noisy. Even on the sixth floor you can hear the subway. The noises from the lift and in the corridor are very loud

Friendly helpful staff

the days I stayed here there was a construction downstairs...
    • Queen Room

the days I stayed here there was a construction downstairs so it was quite noisy

Location is perfect, rooms are quiet and the staff is very...
    • Queen Room

Rooms are tiny, but that’s the case in most hotels in Manhattan

Location is perfect, rooms are quiet and the staff is very helpful

The a/c unit in the room made a banging noise every 20...

The a/c unit in the room made a banging noise every 20 minutes that woke me up

Would book again
    • Queen Room

Don’t love a low pressure rain head shower.

Staff were all so helpful and friendly. Location was great.

Go elsewhere
    • Queen Room

Broken facilities, sub par rooms

Not much

Perfect location to start a sightseeing tour!

Perfect location to start a sightseeing tour! Really nice and comfortable hotel

Enjoyed the mellow scene in the lobby. Staff was excellent

Small room with little storage