Reviews of Dylan Hotel NYC 4 stars

52 East 41st Street, Murray Hill, New York, NY 10017, USA

#275 of 415 hotels in New York

• Standard King Room

My view. But, no biggie. Can't have everything.

As with any business, it's all about the staff. The desk staff at The Dylan was friendly and went the extra mile. I didn't get everyone's names, but Randy was OUTSTANDING. You'd think he was the manager, the way he took charge and made the effort to make me comfortable. One housekeeper saw my sad umbrella and with my asking, went and got me one of the hotel's fancy ones.

• Standard Queen Room

Everything. It was awful.

fridge, didn't work and was empty. Toilet didn't flush, sink didn't drain. Room was so ugly - looked like a hospital room. Bed was no better than a pull out couch. Bedding was awful. Elevators went out of service. Trapped on 6th floor. They had a fire on the roof and I was confined to my room missing a dinner. Deserve a credit but haven't heard back from management yet. terrible.

• Standard King Room

I receiption person told me free side parking on Sunday, actually from 10:00pm Saturday. I did, but got a parking tickets Sunday morning, USD115. What happened! Too near the hotel door? But nobody said no

The rooms looked old and were in dire need of a renovation. Bathroom sink was missing stopper, floors were cracked and yellow, and AC was not working.

• Standard King Room

Handicap bathroom very awkward for someone who is not handicapped. We took it because it was ready.

Love the hotel and location. We are repeat visitors

• Standard King Room

The hair dryer was a bit weak.

Big, comfy bed. Gorgeous bathroom. Could see the Empire State Building from our window. The room was spacious. Wifi worked well.

• Standard Queen Room

The room had no air conditioning so it was very slow stuffy. This past weekend was very warm and it wasn’t the best timing for the hotel not to offer air conditioning. They posted a sign saying that they do not offer air conditioning in the winter. It’s technically spring so what’s the excuse. Also there was apparently something going on in the area which cause them not to have all the cable channels. A long with that watching tv we had to strain our ears because the tv only goes to a certain volume level which is really low.

The bed was very comfortable!

•The first time when i come to this hotel i lost because There is no sign or way to show the hotel •The lobby is so small •There is no one take ur luggages to ur room

•The staff are so nice with me & so friendly •The way to take ur car to the parking is so easy •Clean room

• Standard King Room

i believe the heater in our room was broken. we could not get the AC to go on. but the windows were able to be opened, which helped!

This will be my new place to stay when visiting NYC! Randy at the front desk was so helpful. I needed a pair of pants dried after spilling an entire milkshake on my lap, and he went above and beyond to help me getting that done. The entire staff was so kind and the room was very clean. The location was perfect and within walking distance of many restaurants and shops.

Loose fixtures. Dark. Lacking ambience.

Great staff. Tired hotel with many fixtures loose or broken. Bit dark and drab. Needs a bit of TLC as the location is fanastic and there is a much nicer hotel with vibrant bar a stones throw away.

• Standard King Room

Felt down at heel, both outside and inside. Certainly in need of a refurbishment. Walls and paintwork, skirting boards, were scuffed. Bathroom sanitary ware was dated and in poor condition. Cracked toilet and washbasin. Reception area cold and unwelcoming. Exterior under scaffolding, whether when this is removed it will look better remains to be seen but it definitely needs to be brought up to date/condition. +++-

Location. The male receptionists were very nice.

• Standard King Room

When taking a shower the water got everywhere because the shower only had glass on half of the shower, we found someone else’s sock in the room, and there were weird stains on our sheet.

The staff was amazing, very nice and helpful!

• Standard King Room

I know for sure that the initial booking and quote included breakfast, that was the deciding factor when making the final decision. How small a reason that might actually seem. Once booking confirmation came through no reflection or mention of the included breakfast. Contacted Booking.com and got reply no breakfast included. I stress again that I definitely had a breakfast included option in the quote which I chose. Still had comfortable stay.

Clean, Location and Friendly. As Manhatten goes 41st nice and quiet.

• Standard King Room

The hotel needs a renovation. The couches have collapsed, the furniture is all old with serious signs of wear. The thermostat is also not up to scratch, left it at 70 and getting back from a day of activities the room was boiling hot and stuffy and then later after dinner it was freezing cold. The view out the room looked directly into an office building next door so had to keep the curtains closed at all times.

The rooms were larger than expected and the staff were very friendly and accommodating.

• Standard Queen Room

The shower tap needs to be replaced. It is fixed, too high on the wall and cannot be moved, so in case you don't want to shower your hair is a problem. Also the water coming out is too spread and cannot give you the sense of having hot water on your body after a cold day out.

At a great location, very clean and comfortable room.

No view, even from 15th floor. Hair found on pillow the first night. Bed not to comfy. Room was dark.

Staff was very nice and helpful. Location was great! Hotel itself was just the right size.

• Standard King Room

The staff were incredibly accommodating and ready to help at any time, we had to make various unforeseen requests and they helped us out with all of them. The bed was also very large and comfortable.

• Standard King Room

King room did not look like pics. Was a basic white sheets with blue curtains. Blanket was so thin in the middle of February. Not the nice decor I saw in pictures.

Location 1 block from grand central was convenient for my trip.

• Standard King Room

First day I didn’t need room clean. Room never cleaned while out the other days. TV didn’t work properly. Bathroom big and freezing during. A cold winter week. Room service closes at 11 pm. I arrived too late and too cold to find. Taxis downs a block and half. Pillow suck.

Location. Everything else under construction or no tv or no cleaning t

• Standard Queen Room

I didn't like the fact I couldn't open the curtain to see daylight and a view due to the business building next door that could see directly in our room.

Friendliness of staff, accommodating us, location, great restaurants near by and on site

• Standard Queen Room

Bed was not that comfortable and sheets didn't cover the bed fully.

Excellent location. Very modern/new bathroom. Room was bigger than expected which was great.

• Standard Queen Room

I had a lovely stay. The staff was excellent. Very friendly and very helpful. My room was beautiful and comfortable. It was clean and comfortable as well. The location can’t be beat. The hotel is a five minute walk from Grand Central which means easy subway access. Thebhotel jas a restaurant which I didn’t try and is next door to a fantastic Irish pub which I did try. Overall, I enjoyed my stay here and look forward to returning. As a side note. My plane was canceled due to the storm and the staff were very nice and extended my stay in the same room so I wasn’t sleeping at the airport. First rate!

• Executive Room

It is a little difficult to find if you don't know where you're going

The room definitely had a cool/modern feel. The bed was extremely comfortable... I didn't want to get out of bed the next morning! The staff was incredibly helpful and even watched our luggage for free so we could explore the city the next day - after we checked out!

Small room

The location was superb, 1 block from Grand Central Station and 10 min walk to Times Square. Situated on a quiet street so not much noise.

• Standard Queen Room

room amenities were below par. no full length mirror in room, no makeup mirror in bathroom, poor lighting everywhere in room and bathroom, no convenient outlets for charging devices, clean but shabby carpet and drapes.

• Standard King Room

We searched for a Midtown hotel and Dylan Hotel was a good find. We had a room on the 15th floor with a view to the Chrysler Building. The room was recently renovated and noise from the Big Apple was acceptable. Nice breakfast.

• Standard King Room

My partner and I have a really enjoyable stay at Dylan, it was very central to all the sights. Staff very accommodating to our needs. I would like to say a very special thank you to Kevin, who went above and beyond his role. Also a thank you to the lovely Spanish young lady who arrange the tickets for the sightseeing bus. The added bonus was having Benjamin's next door dinner and breakfast was great.

• Standard King Room

The room was excellent value for New York City, especially on a holiday weekend, location was great as well. I arrived earlier than expected and the staff were kind enough to allow me to check in ahead of time. Before departing, my friends and I wanted to grab a quick bite before going our separate ways and we were able to store our luggage after checking out and explore the city without worry! Highly recommend it!

• Executive Room

When we arrive for check-in we were told they were cleaning some rooms up in our room will be ready soon and to come back around 2 PM, we showed back up at three and our room was not ready until four. Once checked in we went to our room and it was 78° we attempted to adjust the thermostat in the room but we’re later told that the heat was controlled by the building and we could open our windows. Also we booked the executive suite with double sinks as shown on booking.com and were told that double sinks are not in all suites and that multiple people complain about that regularly. The initial staff we spoke to about the heat of the room was very helpful but also seemed annoyed that they were having this issue. We were told this is a normal complaint they get. When housekeeping cleaned room they did not replace dirty coffee mugs or replenish coffee/tea. Noticed phone in room did not work when attempted to call front desk for ac help.

Central to train station and other things we were interested in seeing.

• Standard Queen Room

Nice quiet street, fantastic location, superbly comfortable bed and great bathroom. The staff did everything possible to make our stay enjoyable. Would recommend this hotel and will definitely stay there again.

• Standard Queen Room

The view was of the building next door, but this is not important to us.

Location was perfect for travelling into Grand Central Station, just a 5 minute walk. Staff was friendly and helpful. Room was spacious, clean, and comfortable.

• Standard King Room

The room had very few outlets which I appreciated the hotel tried to fix by giving us an extension cord; even still it was awkward and annoying when we both tried to charge our phones or were both working on laptops. The shower leaked miserably into the rest of the bathroom. Not much floor space for luggage and difficult to move around. TV had several broken channels and very static or delayed channels.

Good location and modern-styled rooms. Bathroom was large. The safe inside the closet was huge and could fit multiple laptops and electronics. The bed was comfortable.

• Standard Queen Room

Unfortunately, there was a lot we didn’t like: Side table lamps not working on either side of the bed. There was a long hair stuck to bathroom shelf. The bathroom tissue box and the dustbin were strewn about the bathroom floor on arrival. Clock set to incorrect time on bed stand. Very slow WiFi. The bathroom cupboard was chipped and instead of being repaired, it was just painted over. The bathroom cupboard also didn’t close properly.

The location of the hotel was exactly what we needed for the one night. Close to grand central station and to pick up points for the airport shuttle.

• Standard Queen Room

Room smelt of smoke, was poky and bed uncomfortable. When I spoke to reception about room smelling of smoke they shrugged it off. Totally overpriced. Only redeeming feature was the breakfast.

Breakfast was fairly good

• Standard King Room

Rooms, temperature control, overall impression of cleaningness. REally overpriced - location is good but so expensive for this price, i dont think i will stay again if i'm back to New York. Hostel-like quality.

Staff was very nice. But room airco was not working to warm up. Too cold in the room and if you tried to start it up, it will get extremely hot and couldnt bring the temperature down. Room was small, lamps not working. Gave the impression of not clean. Location is very good, but the value for money was terrible, so expensive - in europe this is a 1 or max 2 star hotel.

• Executive Room

I love this hotel. Location is absolutely amazing. Stuff was extremely easy to work with. Spacious rooms, not crowded lobby, everyday excellent housekeeper service. The hotel did all our requests fast and cautious. Would recommend for international travelers, as well as business visitors.

• Standard Queen Room

My first room had no internet or cell service because of its location in the building. My second room was better but shabby: drapery coming off rod, no switch on one light so had to unplug to turn off, carpet dingy and smelling of a scent to cover up dirt and used razor from prior guest on bathroom sink.

• Standard Queen Room

Lighting in room was poor.

Very clean room and bathroom. Conveniently located steps from Grand Central but on a quiet street. Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Standard Queen Room

It's way overpriced for the quality you get, cleaning is below all standards (sheets not changed during 6 night stay, room not cleaned until 16:00), rooms are noisy (I think I was hearing the elevator shaft or the guests upstairs were constantly moving the furniture...), breakfast is poor and the staff is not at all friendly.

The only good thing about the hotel is the location - really in the middle of everything, close to Newark Express and Central Station.

• Standard King Room

I checked in with reservations for 2 rooms ; the clerk said that I had reservations for 4 rooms and that I needed to call bookings.com to straight this out. I pushed her to call and she claims that is was your company that made the mistake and and it was now 2 rooms on the reservation. It was a hot day and one of the rooms heat was coming out.so they came up from the front desk and could not fix it so I got a hold of the manager and he sent up a engineer who shot off the hea.

• Executive Room

Low daylight in the room, and the noise of the AC outdoor units.

The hotel location is great and the staff were very helpful, especially Monica at the reception. She was very helpful and always ready to assist. If you are lucky to check in during her service timing, Make sure you stand on her line!!

the breakfast was cold and fruit flies EVERYWHERE , the bed was okay, the noise from the elevator kept us up all night very very noisy. They charged my credit card 38.00 and no one can seem to tell me what it was Would I stay there again no

The room was clean and the bed was okay

• Standard Queen Room

We got charged twice for our deposit, which doesnt get returned for 5 working days, this left us short for the rest of our trip..our room had a air con machine outside our window, that was on all night

• Standard King Room

Service , standards overall , update reception area musty old smell , towels , our room needed Decor to be refreshed . Staff showed very little interest in getting things done

Rooms were very tired and grubby phones not working and some lamps Also poor house keeping service at 330 on two afternoons advised our room wasn't cleaned . Reception staff looked bored except for one guy. Gym facilities poor , tiny room and on their weights they didn't even haven't a pair . Location however was good . Won't return and wouldn't recommend .

• Standard Queen Room

the area is very noisy very dim lit room tall room but yellow spots all over the ceiling the room was cold yet there was no heating available, it was in September

very good location

nothing cannot fault..

cannot fault this hotel.. great experience from start to finish..hotel staff were so freindly and rooms were so spacious. if I ever go back to nyc this is were I will stay..

• Executive Room

The housekeeping service seemed somewhat remiss - the coffee was repeatedly not replaced despite us asking, our pyjamas were left strewn variously around the room, the vent in the bathroom looked like it hadn't been cleaned for a long time and a used rubber glove was left on the bedside table. Reception staff were not impolite, but from the outset did not make us feel welcome and had a dismissive air. We were going to use the restaurant but decided to go somewhere that we felt more welcome and valued.

The room was a nice size, as was the bed, which was comfortable. The air con was decent and not too noisy, unlike others I have experienced. The room was reasonably well kept.

But they can't compensate for the small rooms, the noise in the rooms and the lack of cleanness. I found the sheets black with mascara, one of the cups had lipstick on it and in the toilet I found the paper from a tampon even if I wasn't using any at that time. Overall feeling: I slept in a hallway.

The staff was ok.

• Standard Queen Room

Rooms were dark and dingy. Noise of cleaning staff and elevator kept me awake or woke me up. Nothing to impress when you walk into the hotel.

The bed was comfy and check in was very quick and efficient. The hotel is more suited to business travellers who just want somewhere to sleep for the night. However, we just got on with things as we love NYC.

• Executive Room

I booked using Booking.com and it was breakfast included. However, when I have arrived hotel, they said they cannot see it in the system. I had to show the E-mail I received from Booking.com to them to prove I have the breakfast included. In addtion, I have to go to the lobby every morning to pick up the voucher and they do not even allow me to have 3 vouchers in advance. Why?

• Standard Queen Room

The wash basin design is so bad that water splash all over the wall and floor when I wash my face. The electric outlets near the basic which is meant for hair dryer is extremely dangerous as water gets around the area constantly. No soap holder so the table TOP is so dirty and soapy all the time. No complimentary water bottles. Each bottle in the room is charged $7. Outrageous. The worst is Housekeeping. Almost Everyday, something is not right in the housekeeping services. Cleaner clear used paper cups by the bedside but did not replenish new paper cups. No extra toilet rolls. One shower cap with no replacement. No replacement for shower and shampoo/conditioner. No slipper, no any other toiletries and frills. One day, we came back and found our extra blanket left on the floor. 🙄☹️

Location is great with great accessibility to subways, bus, taxi, and walk distance to many facilities around. Room is bigger than most hotels in nyc for similar pricing.

• Standard King Room

Older hotel, needed some tlc. Would have loved if housekeeping would have kept up with coffee bar and would have liked an extra towel or two.

Great value, great location

• Standard Queen Room

The hotel turns off the heating so if there is a colder day there is no way to heat the room. Staff were fantastic and provided me with a small fan heater.

Great location. Wonderful staff.

• Executive Room

The place is old and needs an upgrade on the decorations.

The location is great, walking distance to Time Square and across from Grand Central. The staff is very friendly and very helpful.

• Standard Queen Room

If you are noise sensitive you need to ensure your room is a far away as possible from the elevator which is quite noisy. Time for a major overhaul of the elevator I'd say. Until then bring earplugs. We would have appreciated coffee, sugar supplies being topped up daily without having to get the desk staff involved each day. The room was fine but for a supposed 4 star hotel I would not have expected one ply toilet paper. No pillow choices.

Location very close to Grand Central station and able to walk to places like the MOMA and Times Square. Subway was just so handy and convenient for getting to places. Felt totally safe. They were very good at accommodating our luggage before and after arrival as we got there early and left Manhattan well after check out time.

• Standard Queen Room

Nothing, it was ordinary. Room had a noise like a big air conditioner was going all night. We got a change of room but phone charger left in room disappeared. There were ants in the first room we were in.

• Standard King Room

one towel had a smudge on it (we didn't use that one), bed was a little too soft, wish the complimentary water bottles were larger.

Very clean, easy-to-use shower, nice decor

• Standard Queen Room

The wifi in our room didn't work at all, and the tv picture was distorted. Also the water was $7.00 per bottle?? Rather expensive.

Good bed, great location. The bathroom was excellent and the staff were easy to deal with.

• Standard Queen Room

Our first room didn't have working hot water in the shower so after letting staff know we had to be moved to a new room. In the second room every day the coffee mate (milk) was not replenished, we let reception know each day as we had to come down and get more. The rooms are very dated and for the price I do not believe it is great value for money

Great location, around the corner form Grand Central Station and the New York Public Library. Only a 10 min walk to Times Square and shopping. Reception staff were lovely and followed up all issues promptly.

• Standard King Room

This was my first time to New York and I LOVED where I stayed. I got a great deal with Booking.com which included breakfast with my stay. The breakfast was from The Benjamin Steakshouse next door and the spread was amazing and Yummy. I traveled with my 2 kids, and this is a kid friendly hotel. The staff was amazing and answered all questions. Cleaning crew was on point!

• Standard Queen Room

bed was small for two people, not easy falling asleep... smoke detector has blinking light that can be annoying in a darkened room

cleanliness, location, helpful staff

No linen was provided for the sofa bed in the room - but then we discovered on trying to pull out the sofa bed that it was all ripped away below the paper thin mattress therefore could not function as a bed and even as a sofa was useless as it sank in the middle. The curtains in the room were not properly hooked in place and therefore sagged. The carpet on the floor looked worn and in need of changing. This room that we stayed in was what the front desk clerk told me he was upgrading us to - God forbid that we had strayed in a room of lower category

Great location for this tired hotel that is much in need of some attention and upgrading of the rooms.

• Standard King Room

Very good hotel, clean rooms, newly renovated and do not deserve some bad comments below, Rooms were great. The beds and pillows were great we slept like king and queens. Great walls as well we did't hear any of our neighbors even though it was full booked. The location of the hotel is very good not in the middle but close to almost everything. Next time in NY I will live here again definitely.

• Standard Queen Room

We were given an old, dark room whose windows faced a wall and some very noisy, always working AC units. The furniture, carpet and walls were worn out and stained. The bed was wobbly. Only a few TV channels were working and the signal was really bad. The hotel staff was HORRIBLE - kind and welcoming, yet completely useless, if not counterproductive, on at least three occasions (which is not bad, considering we stayed for three nights): 1.The safe in our room had been left closed by the guests before us, and was unusable. We told this to the receptionist who said they'd contact maintenance, then came back in the evening to find the safe still unusable and nobody at the reception knowing anything about our complaint. We said it again the next morning, and nothing happened until the NEXT morning, when we were told - at 8:30 AM - to wait in the room for the maintenance guy to come. By that time we were ready to leave and had given up storing our valuables in the safe. 2. While looking for the hairdryer on the first morning we found SOME GUY'S UNDERWEAR in the cabinet beneath our bathroom sink - clearly a place that wasn't often cleaned by the hotel staff. We told this to the receptionist. He apologized. That was it. 3. On the last day we asked for an early taxi (4:30 AM) to get to LaGuardia airport. We were offered the hotel's transfer service instead, as "the trip is 45 to 50 minutes and a taxi is going to charge you around 50 dollars". The trip was 23 minutes total, an Uber ride would have been $20. We felt ripped off. We've stayed in NYC plenty of times, in a number of different hotels. This was by far the worst.

The Dylan is really well positioned for a visit to Midtown New York City, and thanks to a special offer we booked our room at a relatively low rate (for New York Standards). That's pretty much the only two positives about this place.

• Standard King Room

Great location, super breakfast, nice room with really confortable bed, free wifi, very clean. The stuff was very proffesional and also very helpful. Thank you Dylan Hotel !

• Standard King Room

The bedding was done poorly, the bottom sheet only covered 3/4 of the bed, leaving our feet directly over the mattress cover, when asked in the lobby to fix this, all they did was to give us an extra sheet so we fix it ourselves, not what you would expect when you pay such a amount of money. Manager was never onsite not even at checkout time to assist us.

Amazing location

The bed mattresses were terrible. Far too dinky and staff indicated other guests had complained. No improvement. I had to sleep on a cot. Didn't' ghetto more than a top sheet for it. The fitness room was inadequate, no wTer, towels, or materials to clean equipment after using it. Only had half the weights needed for use. Staff did not know where attractions like the MET was???

• Standard Queen Room

The chair of the room was torn and dated. The first room I came in had a hair on the bed, the second didn´t have a latch on the door. The elevators sound as if they are going to break.

Size of room, nice mirror and bathroom.

• Standard King Room

I ask the front desk to give me a wake up call and it never came. The wifi was down that night.

The hotel was beautiful, very clean and I felt very safe.

• Standard King Room

No towel rail or hook in bathroom to hang wet towels. Only one live power socket in room. Attempted to use another socket and the fuse blew putting the room in complete darkness. Promised lamp did not arrive.

Spacious, clean & comfortable dark room

• Standard King Room

Hotel full of problems which I have written to the Manager about but I could not recommend this hotel other than for its location. Very disappointed and not a low cost hotel.

Hotel is in a good location for the tourist guest.

Room not ready when we arrived but was within 15 minutes. Bar could have stayed open later but Stout Bar next door. Mini bar not in service during stay. Charing over $5 for water in room is ludicrous.

Breakfast good and part of room deal. Shower facilities very good. Location close to 5th and Grand central perfect

• Standard King Room

Bathroom although nice wasn't very user friendly and on the small side. The bed was ok but very bouncy.

Good location. Comfortable size room considering it was in Manhattan.

• Standard Queen Room

Breakfast good be better (taking into account the amount of money paid)

Location is perfect Staff was excellent and friendly Clean and tidy rooms Modern hotel

• Executive Room

The room had old technology, half the outlets did not work, the furnishings were outdated and the staff were non responsive

Convenience and vicinity to Times Square