Reviews of Westin Portland Harborview 3 stars

157 High Street, Portland, ME 04101, USA

#17 of 25 hotels in Portland

• King Room with City View

We arrived at 4:30pm, and our room was not ready. Our room was not available until after 6pm. In addition, the housekeepers just didn't clean our room one of the days.

We had a nice corner room. There is a shuttle that takes you most places you want to go and the shuttle staff gave us tips on where to eat and what to do.

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

There is no direct free parking for this hotel, the nearest parking garage is about a block away - up hill - and the valet is ridiculously expensive considering there is no ideal alternative. For the price per night I would of thought the valet would of been included. Same goes for breakfast - its extra as well and is sub-par. The location is a bit further from the active area than I thought - about a 15 minute walk.

This is a Westin property so you know you are going to get quality, comfort and cleanliness. Beautiful lobby with friendly front desk staff.

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Dirty tray outside the door when we arrived . Did not like pre payment . No where else has this happened

Lovely room. Great bed. Helpful staff. Free shuttle was good

• Premium King Room with Water View

Water view was misleading. We did see the water from our room but it was in the far distance and we had to look over a lot of unsightly roof tops to see it.

• Traditional King Room

Parking was ridiculously expensive - we used a lot by the water for $10/day instead.

Convenient for walking to spots on Congress and down by the water - pretty much everywhere we needed to go for a quick overnight trip.

• King Suite

To me, a five-star hotel should have a five-star staff. The manager, Becky, and her outstanding staff are top-of-the-line. When one travels, the conversation with staff is normally at check-in and check-out. And that is great, it means the experience is too your standards. But when there are issues, the staff here gives true meaning to five-star hotel.

• King Room with City View

We had to leave and come home!!! ☺☺☺

This was our 1st trip to Maine and the hotel was beautiful!! We took advantage of the valet parking and the gentlemen working were very courteous, friendly and very helpful. The receptionist checking us in was so helpful in giving us options as to places to eat and visit.

• Traditional King Room

The king size bed was so comfortable! My husband and I slept wonderfully. Staff was great! The location was in walking distance to great restaurants and a short drive to Allagash brewery. Would stay again and again!

• Traditional King Room

The chair in the room and was not comfortable. Additionally, the outside appears outdated, but inside is very classy.

The top floor lounge/bar was great! Would definitely stay here again!

• Traditional King Room

We didn't like the fact we had to pay extra for parking and we had housekeeping walk in on us in the morning hours before checkout.

Very comfortable room and location was amazing. The shower was wonderful!

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

I was put in a room next to a family with a small baby and was awoken at 5.30am to the screaming baby - the noise was coming through the wall and the air vent in the bathroom and it was impossible to escape.

Clean, spacious room. Very friendly staff - the most friendly I have experienced at a Westin.

• Traditional King Room

I felt a bit put off by the fact that after the front desk told me that I have to check in at 3pm I get there in time only to be informed that the housekeeping staff was a bit behind which I thought it was not a big deal. However, after waiting an hour and discussing with the staff the status of the room they simply told me they would text me when a room became available. So at this point when my boyfriend (a tall white male) gets infuriated and demands to know the status of the room instead of me suddenly a room happened to become available. Now whether or not this was a coincidence or not I'm more disappointed on the lack of the front staff to make it up to us in any way shape or form. No complimentary anything not even an apology.

I liked the facilities and how clean they were, also the hotel is in a very comfortable location.

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

When I asked at check in for a roll away so that I did not have to share with my 9 year old daughter.( my 15 year old son had the other bed.) I was told yes sure no problem. Then was told there would be an “additional 25$, oh wait 30$ charge for that!”! Really!! After putting my car two minutes before in the valet for 34$ An extra 64$ with in the first two minutes was offputting!! Let just say with all the other options ( the Hyatt especially ) I won’t be returning anytime soon. Training your staff to read their audiance may help.

Clean with comfortable beds. Large size room.

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Nothing. My daughter and I were very pleased.

Front desk efficient and friendly upon check in and out! Being greeted with a sincere smile means a lot after hours of travel. The Westin bed is still the best anywhere!!!

• King Suite

We thought we had booked a suite with a bathtub, according to the website. However we didn’t have one. The room was great regardless.

The bed was so comfortable!

• Traditional King Room

You have to pay for valet parking, which is not explained on the website. $35 per day is a rather expensive addition not to mention. The parking situation in the city is scarce, so you’re stuck. There is sadly, a visible homeless population that loiter near the hotel.

Convenience to restaurants and view of the city

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and City View

Water was not hot enough in the shower, just lukewarm. Self parking should be included with the room rate; I found it a little steep for Portland.

Receptionist at check-in counter. She's the best and accommodated all my needs. It's nice to be able to leave the car in the garage until 4:30pm on the check-out day.

• Traditional King Room

Staff wasn't the most pleasant to deal with

Loved that it's right in the middle of the city and it's also connected to the parking garage! Very convenient.

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Wine at the bar was very poor quality couldn't drink it

Room was very nice and clean, amazing shower. Location was perfect walking distant to many things

• Traditional King Room

Looking out the window of my room I’m looking at a roof with heaters and air conditioning systems. Not an attractive view.

Love my visit. Especially loved the bar on the 15th floor the panoramic views.

• Premium King Room with Water View

We were on the same floor as college basketball teams in town for a tournament. Very loud in the hall after midnite.

Staff was outstanding. From the valet to front desk to shuttle driver. Very friendly

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

You do not get free parking, but you get a discount in the nearby parking garage, and you can use your room key to swipe in and out.

The bed was so comfortable, bathroom freshly remodeled with rainfall shower head, real wineglasses and corkscrew, and in-room coffee was much better than most hotels. The temperature control in our room was our favorite part- we like it cool at night, but then in the morning we could bring it up and it worked quick. We liked being able to walk to nearby restaurants.

• Traditional King Room

The staff was amazing and the room was very clean and cozy. We love that they are pet friendly and the staff were all very welcoming to our small dog.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and City View

I went there for a belated Valentine's Day weekend with my girlfriend. When we got there - the front desk person who checked us in was INCREDIBLY nice and gave us GREAT recommendations for food and drink around Portland! ON TOP OF THAT - we were in our room getting ready and we get a knock on the door. We thought the music was too loud or something, ha, but no, it was the hotel staff bringing us a card welcoming us and a box of Valentine's Day chocolates. Unbelievable!

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our room was above the function rooms and there was loud music until late in the night. It was extremely annoying. Plus the room could have been cleaner.

The location was great.

• Premium King Room with Water View

The only thing I didn't like was having to leave and go home.

The bar at the top of the hotel is fun. There is a large selection of wine, beer, and mixed drinks. Appetizers are absolutely delicious. The bar on top is a fun place to just relax and hang out.

• Traditional King Room

The rooms phone charger was broken and I didn't realize it until I woke up the next morning and couldn't use my phone, had to leave it at the front desk to charge because there was no replacement. There was no shampoo or conditioner or lotion in the room, which you would expect for paying $175.00 for the room. I also had drinks at the lounge with my fiance and the waitress' skirt was far too short and you could see her underwear every time she went to a table- it was uncomfortable and extremely unprofessional.

Receptionist was very helpful, even charged my phone at her desk because the one in my room was broken. The beds were comfortable. The location to everything in town was great.

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Arrival is a bit uncomfortable, right on a well travelled street with no place to pull in. The way the elevator system appears to be programmed can produce frustration. We were on the 4th floor, and when called, an elevator would never leave the Lobby level to come directly to our floor, but instead would wait until someone at lobby level used it to go up. Then on its descent it would stop for us on 4. But several times when it got down to our level, the elevator cab was full, so we had to wait for another elevator. But that other elevator always arrived only with a descent from an upper floor, so there was never a guarantee that we could actually fit in it. Pretty annoying. Another odd thing was that there were no overhead or general lighting fixtures in the bedroom, and no light switches. The only switch was in the little front entry to the room to an overhead light there, whose illumination was just enough to allow us to get to one of the table lamps in the bedroom to turn on additional lighting. Again, a rather odd, not terribly convenient system.

Friendly, helpful staff. Nice decor, nice large, comfortable lobby

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Rooftop bar was acoustically terrible...there was nowhere that was anywhere near reasonable for a group of us to sit, talk, enjoy the view and have a drink this past Saturday night at 6:30 pm (on the early side)..know it was super busy but that part was a disappointment..hope that could be improved upon

Beds were lovely Bathroom extra clean and attractive Staff was super nice Portland is a super town, been there many times and would stay again at your hotel

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Awesome fluffy pillows! Warm blankets! Amazing shower head and just a beautiful place to stay. Top of the East is just a plus when it comes to staying here!

• King Room with City View

Unfortunately, there wasn't a microwave or anything of the sort so we couldn't heat anything up (and I had yet to be in a hotel that didn't have one); not so much an issue as it was different. As well, our key was timed out before we were able to leave the parking zone. The service attendant was nice though, despite our disgruntled state, and opened the gate.

The room was spacious and elegantly decorated. The bed was quite comfortable as well; it was firm and adorned with heavenly pillows. Location was close enough to airport that we were able to cut half an hour off of our two hour trip.

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

We called 4 times for reservations and no one called back for 3 days. We paid at check in with our gift certificate and they took 260.00 out of my husbands debit card for incidentals when we didn’t charge anything. Said we couldn’t get our money back for 2-3 days.

The bed and pillows were great. We were told the valet parking would take 20 minutes. We called 30 min ahead and waited 45 min.

• Premium Double Room with Two Double Beds and Water View

Staff at the front desk, restaurant, Bell man, shuttle driver were all very nice and helpful! Local restaurant suggestions were excellent. Top of the hotel bar was lovely, beautiful view.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

They had said they would put our three rooms together, but we ended up being on three different floors. It wasn't a huge deal, but I guess I'd rather know up front if they couldn't accommodate us vs. telling me they could, and when the other two checked in, they were placed elsewhere.

The bed was comfortable, the room nice. The valet gentlemen were friendly and efficient. The elevator going up using the key access was a nice security feature, but made it difficult for kids to go from floor to floor to visit.

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Housekeeping was VERY loud in the morning, towels could have been a little softer

Loved the bar upstairs, loved the bed and sheets, blankets. Water in the mini fridge was a plus too!

• King Room with City View

Thought we were getting a mini suite; time to wash/replace a few of the bar's windows

Fitness room was decent; the room was very quiet; bed was comfortable; sky bar was fun

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

The restaurant service. We were the first to arrive two other couples entered after us. We ordered drinks, salad and meal. Other couples received bread we had to ask for this after we finished our salads. We never received the apparatus ordered and asked to have it removed from our bill. Our dinner experience was not reflective of the room and support staff we received through out our stay. We will not have dinner there again.

The room was very clean and fresh. The beds are very comfortable. The bathroom spacious, towels abundant and shower to die for. They promote healthy living even supply gym clothes for $5.00.

• Premium King Room with Water View

Room 1131. TV blocked window view. Should be swaped with desk. After all, paid extra for the view.

Rooms were clean and location covenient. Staff were courteous, helpful and friendly.

• Premium King Room with Water View

They take an amazing care of our dog!! So doggy friendly. The staff was amazing, they babysit our dog and send pictures of home when we were gone. Excellent! Can’t wait to come back

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Little dog barking for hours one of the days. More an issue of rude guests. The staff was apologetic and tried to remediate the issue. Lobby, rooms and sky bar were very nice.

Early check in option is a joke. One room was ready only 20 minutes prior to regular check in. The other room we were told was nearing being finished when in actuality, it had never started being cleaned until 45 minutes after hotel check in at 3:00.. we ended up having to get another room that was available.. considering we were there for a wedding.. an hour to get ready was ridiculous especially when you have multiple people to take showers etc.. Also.. there were food trays with dirty dishes piled up at the end of our hallway when we arrived. When we checked out the following morning, those same dishes were still there. I’d expect that from a lower end hotel.

The location was excellent

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bottom sheet on the bed had not been changed. However having informed staff, both beds in the room were changed immediately.

The hotel was very close to fantastic restaurants and bars, cafes and a pleasant walk down the hill to the port Excellent customer service Rooftop bar looking out over the harbour Really comfortable bed As we arrived on a Saturday were able to park in the street by the hotel at no cost (free parking Sunday)

• King Room with City View

The focus on "wellness" is obnoxious and misguided. The breakfast isn't very good.

The location is very nice and the people who work there are spectacular. Very friendly and informative.

nothing. all good

The decor and theme was lovely. The beds were very comfortable! The bathroom clean and spacious. And the view spectacular! Sitting area outside the rooms if you're waiting for someone. All the normal amenities!

• Traditional King Room

I don't have any complaints from our stay here. Everything was very nice.

So close to downtown shopping and resturaunts. Very clean and neat. A truly beautiful hotel. All the staff were very accommodating and eager to help. Our check in and out was very painless and efficient.It was very nice to have parking garage right next door with side entrance to hotel, made it very easy to come and go. We will definitely be back to stay. Would recommend the Westin to all family and friends.

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Have to pay extra for parking. That should have been included in the hotel cost.

Very spacious room. I forgot to bring a wine bottle opener, then found one provided with the room. Very comfortable beds!

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

There is a weird rule either in Maine or at the hotel that after 11pm they lock up the alcohol and I couldn’t get a glass of wine in room after returning from a late dinner. Also, the food is over priced for what you get.

• Premium King Room with Water View

I was extremely disappointed with our view...right next to some taped off, dilapidated roof structure in the adjacent wing, even though I had specifically communicated to the staff this was a special birthday occasion for my husband. I'm glad we were only there one night. The black mold in the shower was also a bit of a turn off.

The location can't be beat, just a short walk to stores, boutiques, restaurants and coffee shops.

• Premium King Room with Water View

All the vagrants wandering the streets. One even followed us into the hotel!

The rain head shower was amazing! The location was steps from everything we wanted to do!

• Premium King Room with Water View

The room was advertised falsely. We paid a nice price for an ocean view room. After we went to our first room with no view we were moved. The second room on the 10th floor was not what I would consider an ocean view? We were 5 blocks from the ocean and yes we had a small view of the ocean mostly though of a big brick building. Certainly not worth the extra money paid for a lousy view.

The free van service to and from the airport and around town was quick, friendly and very helpful. They gave us good ideas of things to do and places to eat in and around Portland. The bed was amazing and comfortable. The location is within walking distance of a lot of restaurants and other attractions.The

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

closer to downtown ? but they do have shuttle services.

The valet and shuttle staff are very friendly. So is the front desk staff. They always ask "how is the stay ?"

• King Room - Disability Access

Booking.com said we had a tub, but we ended up in a handicap room. The cleaning service came into the room at 9am, while we were still sleeping.

Comfortable room, close by to a lot restaurants and interesting sites

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

No coffee, tea, fruit or other small snack items available for guests. A continental breakfast would have been great.

Tuesdays and Thursdays there are guided 5K runs in the morning.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Parking expensive in nearby multi storey, then had to drag cases through long passage uphill on carpet through back of hotel. No help offered. No tea making service or tea in room only a coffee machine. Breakfast expensive, slow and poor service, not worth the money, restaurant lacked character was soul less. Staff except for Brandon, who was friendly and helpful, were disinterested and unhelpful on desk and on phone.

Spacious room, comfortable beds. Shuttle service was useful for getting to wharf area.

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

The lobby area was lovely and very luxurious. The security feature of having to swipe our key cards to make the elevator work was great! The beds and room were so comfortable and nicely furnished.

• King Room with City View

Extra charges of public parking were high at $26/per night; and the extra charge of $9.95/day for Internet in these time is absurd; and should be included.

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Front desk not organized. Charged for internet without knowing. Check in room not ready and was going to get call when was never got it reason being they had no phone number.. it was given. Parking charge put on wrong room. Never got refund charge for not using house keeping.

• Traditional King Room

Big fail on valet parking. Paid valet instead of self park and car was kept for 2 days in exposed rain, making it dirty when it arrived. Not happy with this.

Comfortable Bed, Good location, good value for Money

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Pillows !!!! Noise! Noise!

The pillows were a disaster. The A/C went on and off about every 30 seconds, consequently, I was very sleep-deprived! The noise from what I assumed was a service elevator was never-ending. Don't think I would recommend or stay at your Hotel, again. The service in the bar, however was excellent. The bartender (I think his name was Brian) was very friendly and welcoming- he was the bright spot in our stay at the Westin. Food was very good.

• King Suite

Staff not very engaging and didn't seem interested. Problems with room which spoiled experience and harbourview is a little miss leading. Be aware 15 walk to waterfront!!!

All great! 😃

West Inn Portland was a lovely hotel. Very clean room, comfortable bed friendly, helpful staff & great position. Would recommend this place for others to stay.

• Premium Double Room with Two Double Beds and Water View

Staff, beds, small thoughtful touches everywhere, the shower, the food, roof top bar and free rides to dinner - valet staff great! Lady at check/out great! And walking around Portland with amazing places to eat brunch! Maine on the whole can give Disneyland a run for their money as happiest people on earth.

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

a littlebit pricey hotel /didn,t care for having additional cost of parking at facility after a bit pricey room rate/few restaurants within walking distance of hotel

view from sky top bar was amazing/extremely comfortable room

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

All though there is coffee in the bedroom and for sale in the restaurant, I would prefer the hotel to offer coffee for free in the lobby. Parking daily garage fee next door is $26, pricey parking.

The room was beautiful, roomy with a great view. The bed and pillows were heaven. The shower had a great big shower head, didn't want to get out. The location is a couple blocks in from the waterfront however, this was great because it put us right in the heart of the shops and restaurants, still within walking distance to the water front.

• Premium King Room with Water View

We paid for a harbor view and if we had been on a higher floor would have been great but we look right out at the parking lot! Was a corner room and super nice though!

Bed was amazing! Most comfortable I have ever had at a hotel. Also Shower was big and fantastic! The bar on top floor was INCREDIBLE!

• Traditional King Room

Advertised as a harbor view but our room looked over a wet roof and adjoining building. However, the room was convenient, comfortable and very clean.

Convenient to the museum and a stroll to the waterfront.

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

We did not like the neighborhood. A lot of characters out at night. Would not advise any one to stay at this hotel. Advertising on Booking made you think you were right near the harbor. Disappointed.

We did not like the neighborhood. A lot of characters out at night. Would not advise any one to stay at his hotel. Advertising on Booking made you think you were right near the harbor. Disappointed.

• Premium Double Room with Two Double Beds and Water View

I would say the only thing I would complain about is the parking. With the price that hotel charges parking should be included!!!!

The room was great we stayed on the 14 floor . View was amazing!! We used the spa also which was amazing as well. Beds were super comfortable

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Bar to star open later for those arriving on late flights to get a drink and a bite to eat when they unpack and need a chance to unwind

Loved the Rain shower in showe!

• Traditional King Room

The valet attendants were disorganized and not attentive. The room location was horrible right next to the elevator and looking at the parking garage.

Reception people were marvelous as well as the restaurant staff.

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Friendly waitstaff and good food at restaurant but the double beds were small for two people and the front desk staff was polite but not super competent. Requested a cot in the morning and it took two more calls to actually receive it at 10:30 at night! Bed was comfortable and the bathroom was very nice.

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

I changed my booking on booking.com to 1 night on booking site. Had printout but hotel said they had me down for two nights -bad experience @ checkin and checkout Will not book a Westin again - their backend database needs work

Front door staff - shuttle service fantastic

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

Reservation made for harbor view. Initial room had view of the mechanical systems & nothing more. Should not have had to request a room change. Room moved into had a minimal water view. Even recognizing that July is in Maine's high season this was a poor economic value. Nothing unique about hotel.

City access. Friendly staff, particularly in hotel lounge.

• Traditional Double Room with Two Double Beds

The parking garage was too far away and too expensive. For all of the effort to get the baggage to our room, parking should have been included in the room fare.

Downtown location.

• Premium Double Room with Two Double Beds and Water View

We booked late so paid top dollar, but got stuck in an ADA room with double beds (too short) on a low floor. The hotel staff said that was requested through booking.com. We definitely had not requested it, but had this issue with booking.com before so it's a glitch folks need to be alert to. Suffered through that one night, then successfully begged to be moved to a higher floor and got a room with a view and a shower I could stand under (not just a short, floppy hand-held). However, the new room smelled very strongly of cigarette smoke. The odor renewed in evening and the next AM, so probably coming from another room. Sure, we should've complained again but feel even more strongly that hotel staff could've and should've noted the pervasive reek. We checked our bags for a couple hours when we checked out and then had some delay on retrieval because they miscounted as 2 instead of 3. Overall, not bad IF we were paying $50/night, but including taxes, it was 10-times that much so a disappointing experience overall.

Staff at front desk were very friendly and helpful

Browse Westin Portland Harborview traveller photo gallery