Reviews of Econo Lodge Times Square 2 stars

302 West 47th Street, Hell's Kitchen, New York, NY 10036, USA

#348 of 415 hotels in New York

• Standard Queen Room

No character to the place.

The hotel is very basic but I guess you get what you pay for and for that location in central New York, the price was excellent. The staff are not helpful though and seemed miserable most of the time. The place has little or no character but the location of it makes up for that.

• Superior Queen Room

Elevator-a bit slow. Ground floor lights shown elevator's location, could judge if stairs would be faster; visible elevator location on all floors would have been helpful-we were on the 6th floor ;-)

Bed was VERY comfortable (and my husband is picky). Breakfast was a generous continental & staff was ALWAYS cheerful & helpful, often anticipating our needs; small room, but good space to move around.

• Standard Queen Room

You can hear the outside traffic at night, but they do offer ear plugs.

The location was great, walking distance to The ESB, Central Park, Museums, Broadway, Top of The Rock, amongst other places as well.

• Standard Queen Room

Room was quite small although I understand space at a premium in Times Square area. Would have been useful to list parking availability/location with cofirmation

Location. Competency and friendliness of staff..Availability of nearby parking

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

The room was very small and quite noisy. It didn't bother us too much because we where exhausted after a long day in the city.

Staff was very friendly and helpfull.

Rooms very small even by NY standards 6-8 inches from bed to wall - needed a little maneuvering for 2 people

Location is excellent Room was clean Usual continental breakfast in the am convenient Staff very nice

• Standard Queen Room

I called front desk to have the tub unclogged but it wasn't until time later. I wasn't going to have enough time to use by check out noon. Management still has not reached out to me.

The bed was comfortable.

• Standard Queen Room

The location is amazing-just a short walk to Times Square, Central Park...super easy! The staff is very friendly, and they’ve remembered my sister and I as we have stayed here several times. Would definitely recommend on the location alone!

• Standard Queen Room

The rooms were very small but since we were out all day it didn’t really bother us. Limited space and facilities in lobby.

We stayed at the hotel for six nights! The location is very convenient for those who want to be be near Time Square which is about a block away! The breakfast was good. Complimentary Water, tea and coffee are always available in the lobby as well as chocolate chip cookies in the evening! A good choice if you don’t want to spend a lot of money and at the same time be near everything!

• Standard Queen Room

The rooms are very small but that was not a problem as I was told they would be. What I wanted was to say place to shower and sleep and I got that.

The bed was very comfortable and the shower had hot water.

• Standard Queen Room

The noise outside our window kept my husband awakeIT WAS ENJOYABLE

The clerk was very friendly and accommodating. The man who was serving the breakfast was also very friendly and super quick restocking food as folks finished eatingThe bed was comfortable and the breakfast was very good

• Standard Queen Room

Room very cozy, TV was 20” and not very clear, would be an okay situation for one person but not ideal for a couple, too small.

Great and helpful staff, short walk to Times Square, Great Value, continental breakfast included.

• Standard Queen Room

Shower/tub drainage very bad - water accumulated with simple showering. Lift takes a long time to open. I thought I was trapped initially!

Excellent location, basic breakfast and rooms. Staff was helpful.

• Double Room - Disability Access

We just stayed here for 5 night.... The location was perfect, just off Times Square, the staff were helpful and friendly and our room was cleaned and made up everyday. The idea of the breakfast in the lobby is a fantastic idea and was basic but we enjoyed it every morning and saves us so much time looking for somewhere for breakfast. When we return to New York we would stay here again.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

The room was small so we were tight in there

The room was very clean and comfortable. The front desk was very helpfull and nice. The location is amazing.

• Standard Queen Room

Room was tiny. Bathroom was very small. Couldn’t use sink with door opened. Bathtub was unusually small. No room darkening blinds or any curtains on the window. Heard every sound on the street. Hardly slept. Felt like window was opened. Could only fit coats in closet . Not big enough for 2 people.

Location and continental breakfast! Bed was comfortable.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

The price was ridiculous for the shoebox room we got. Also, the noise from the streets was quite loud, which I was surprised by (including a fire alarm that went off the first night with little explanation). While the cleaning staff were constantly around, the chemical smell of the cleaners was strong, and the hotel seemed run down. The baked goods at the free breakfast were inedible.

• Standard Queen Room

The room was extremely small. We had to move a chair from the desk in order to even get to the bed. I had to sidestep and duck under the tv so I wouldn't hit my head getting to the other side of the bed. The air conditioner was not working properly.

We were thankful to be able to leave our luggage at the front desk since we arrived to NYC 3 hours before our room was available. We were also able to check out but continue to leave our luggage there so we could do some last minute shopping without lugging everything around with us.

• Standard Queen Room

The lobby bathroom was broken - the magnifying mirror in our room was broken both really not a big deal as you are staying in such a perfect spot for such a great price

I loved the location and the huge discount on parking garage — be very aware these are micro rooms two people in this room plus luggage for a week and it will be full to the brim

• Superior Queen Room

Breakfast used entirely disposable utensils - I guess it kept price down as no extra staff needed but it’s not good for the planet

Although the room was snug it had enough storage space for a 4 night stay. Iron, ironing board and fridge were included in the superior room. All linen was spotless. All day long coffee and snacks were very welcome after a lot of walking in the city

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

It would be nice to have the breakfast available until 10:00 during weekdays.

The staff are very friendly and helpful. Although the rooms are small, the beds are comfy and you have everything you need.

• Standard Queen Room

On our 1st night, toilet bowl got clogged. But 2nd morning itself they were able to fix it.. AC was not cooling much. Needs to b fixed.

Location was perfect.. minutes away from times square

Nothing negative.

We arrived at hotel early afternoon and room was ready. Bottle of water and packet of cookies in room something you don't expect in budget hotels. Tea coffee available free all day. Location to Times Square 2 minute walk.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Even by NYC standards, this room was way too small. My daughter and I could not get ready at the same time.

Staff was very friendly, location was great, it was clean and price was excellent.

• Standard Queen Room

size of the room was way to small. If i had a guest at room they would question who. I have never stayed at any other hotel where they stopped people like that...and then called and seemed a lil mad cause i had visitors...

just the location.

• Standard Queen Room

Room was small, and slightly cold. But not that bad as you don't spend a lot of time in the room :)

Location is amazing, staff very helpful and friendly!

• Standard Queen Room

The room was uncomfortably small. There was no room to move around and squeezing through everything was not pleasant. The noise from the hallway and outside the hotel was unbearable at times.

The bed was comfortable.

• Double Room - Disability Access

the only downside was that it was very cold in our room the heat was not working so we only had a space heater to warm the room.

The Staff was very very helpful and friendly! Location was perfect for us to visit time square.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room is quite small compare with hotels located in downtown. And it’s located outside of the restricted area in New Year’s Eve celebration event. If you want to have a entry pass for the ball drop event, suggest to choose Edison Hotel instead.

Location is good for transit to subway. There are many delis nearby.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Stuff , room size, breakfast horrible, guests are not polite and the noyse from outside is horrible you can hear everything from Times Square.

• Standard Queen Room

Not that it is a bad thing but our room size in comparison to the bed was slightly comical. I knew New York offered small rooms but the room was as large as our full size bed. The check in employee was slightly rude and incorrect. The emails corresponding to the room did not mention all the incidentals but it all worked out in the end.

Free breakfast is always a plus. The location was superb especially for the price point. If you want to be in the middle of Times Square, this would be an excellent place to choose if you are on a budget.

• Standard Queen Room

Room so small only queen bed fit with no space to walk around. Room across the street from a bar very loud and loud street noise all night long. Unable to adjust heat and room was cold. Didn't know that they needed $100.00 cash deposit which they gave to you at checkout after maid checked room to make sure no smoking. They could also charge your credit card but it wouldn't be returned for 7 business days.

Area was easy walk to Times Square . Breakfast had hot chocolate and pound cake however area to eat was very small. Room was clean but old but ok if you just want to sleep

• Standard Queen Room

Room was very small for two sisters traveling together, but location and price made it worthwhile.

Rooms were very small and clean. Staff was excellent. Location perfect for us. Nice to have breakfast included. Coffee and tea always available.

• Standard Queen Room

I love the closeness of the spot to time square. We came in went at all times of the day. It was clean and comfortable all the room was a bit small. But that was OK because we were hardly in it.

• Standard Queen Room

The sink hole cover in the bathroom did not work properly and I called housekeeping. The lady stuck her hand in the sink to release the cover, which I did not considered practical. Once I´ve seen that, I kept it open 100% of the time. The bed sheets had some stains - they were not dirty, just stains. The wifi was kind of slow, but it was free, so... just a comment.

The staff was very nice and I noticed they helping other people with directions. They keep your bags at no charge and you can order online and it can be delivered at the hotel at no cost (I asked that). The location of the hotel is great and one of the things that made us choose this hotel was breakfast included. It was not a luxury breakfast, but had coffee, tea, pastry, some bread, jelly, peanut butter, cream cheese, and apples and bananas. It was worth it. Besides, they keep the coffee machine available 24h and in the afternoon there were cookies in the front desk and also water with lemon to refresh. They have newspaper available and a ATM machine. There was also a large TV screen with a few features like flighttracker and you can take your selfie on it!

• Standard Queen Room

Rooms surely can be cleaner and less dustier. Floor rug doesn't look like it has ever been vacuumed.

Location is great. 2 mins from Times Square, 10 min from Central Park.

• Superior Queen Room

It was very poor & dirty & smal room & layby.very expensive .haven't anything good.taxi was to air port 80 $ reserve got sttaf hotel.every thing was one star.laby was pleas for breakfast.. .very bad

• Standard Queen Room

The entire hotel is a hazard! Each floor smells of storage each bathroom is disgusting walls are covered with wallpaper but there are holes underneath them the windows you can’t even look outside of them they are so gross you can’t walk by the bed and the furniture there’s absolutely no room. You cannot put two suitcases in the air I fell over the mini refrigerator couldn’t walk and filed a complaint and no one has even contacted me yet I had to go to the hospital and Saw an orthopedic surgeon I tore my miniscus and Had to get a Cortizone shot. May need surgery and no one has even contacted me from the hotel! They should be ashamed of themselves can’t wait to contact my attorney

the location

The rooms were too warm. This made it hard to sleep at night. Turned on air and let desk know.

Location. Location. Location. The price was great. The room was small. Breakfast was true continental. However you are close to a breakfast diner or McDonalds. Check in was at 3 pm so we stowed our luggage at the front desk. Staff was friendly and helpful. The room was sufficient to sleep and bathe. You aren’t in New York City to stay in the room. Hotel is one block off Broadway and Times Square. It is convenient. Souvenir shops, Restaurants, theater district and shopping is within a couple of blocks. I couldn’t ask for much better for the price. I will book this location again. Great three nights in Mew York City.

• Double Room - Disability Access

The locks on doors - need an extra sliding lock at top. Need better quality coffee for downstairs & in room.

The ladies of the day staff on 11/29 were very helpful with questions we had on getting around in the city and other needs. Although there is some updating that is needed at the hotel, the amenities were fine for the price and we slept well! The holiday decorations were nice.

• Standard Queen Room

Room was super small, but it is the city, I was expecting that.

The location was perfect to go around the city, teo blocks from Time square and easy access to the subway stations.

• Standard Queen Room

Room that we got first was awful. No vacuuming (hair ball eww... dust, hair everywhere in room), No space to walk(pass) by each other, of course no space to open my suitcases.

Breakfast was quite nice. The receptionist was helpful. The location was excellent. Provided earplugs for noise.

• Standard Queen Room

We don´t like the size of the room. Very small!

The location is great! The breakfast is a american typical, simples and without fruits, however it was ok.

tiny rooms

Staff were friendly, great location. Good breakfast but ends promptly at 9. The rooms are clean but tiny. Not a lot of place to put your things

• Standard Queen Room

Wallpapers falling apart, holes in the wall, really small. REALLY SMALL! Bathroom with losing tiles all over.

Location, the front desk are really nice and helpful.

• Standard Queen Room

I didn't like the room, the bed, the space, everything is old. The hotel is extremly expensive gor what they offer!!!

I thing the only good thing at this hotel is the location, very close to Times Square

• Standard Queen Room

The room was extremely small. The desk was in the entrance hall and only provided 12" to pass into the room. Wall color needs to be updated. However, it functioned, and it is an incredible value for Manhattan.

Econo Lodge exceeded my expectations! Although this is a very old building, everyone went beyond the norm on what they had control over. VERY clean sheets and towels. Earplugs provided because of close proximity to Times Square. Breakfast was great! A very good value. Not the most luxurious but perfect for a budget minded traveler that wants GREAT value.

• Double Room - Disability Access

The Econolodge Times Square is ideally located for enjoying the sights and attractions of New York City. The rooms are fairly small but adequate with comfy beds. A big plus is the water, tea and coffee available 24 hours a day in the lobby along with the breakfast which is included. The breakfast is not extensive but an added bonus (bagels, juice, jams, cream cheese, yoghurt etc.). The staff are friendly and helpful - I used the left luggage facility due to having an evening flight and they could not have been more accommodating.

• Double Room - Disability Access

The two guys that worked there didn't know how to put the wifi with the airplane mode one. They just kept on saying " no airplane mode" Stephanie 10 points. She solved the problem for me.

• Standard Queen Room

Size of the room was a bit too small

Great location, good breakfast, and friendly staff. One of the guys at the front desk took his time to explain directions to reach the Lady Gaga concert in Queens - very helpful saved me some bucks. There is water and coffe available at all times.

• Double Room - Disability Access

Super tiny rooms, super duper tiny!! I had to literally roll on the bed to access the window AC unit! Bathroom was also very tiny. Two girls in one room, it was difficult.

Location, one block from TS, lots of activities and plays within short walking distance.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was very tiny it was hard to walk between beds and wall , but we managed to overcome that obstacle .

What I liked about it was that Time Square was steps away. We felt safe. The staff was very friendly and helpful when it came to directions to the main invents. Their was plenty of Breakfast for everyone. Good price for that location.

• Standard Queen Room

Room was quite small and could use a bit of updating. Not much space in bathroom for two people to keep cosmetics.

Comfortable bed and good bedding. Excellent, convenient location. Very courteous, friendly staff.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The size of the room is very tightly for family

Excellent location and it is located at the heart of Times Square just two minutes walks from your room to the center of Manhattan

• Standard Queen Room

The bed was the WORST I've ever been on. I sloped off of my side and it had horrendous lumps. It was soft and moved like jello. I got zero sleep. The walls had holes in them. The shower flooded the bathroom. No twin bed options available.

Clean room overall.

• Standard Queen Room

Rooms where very small but we just needed a clean place to sleep.

It was a great stay for the price and being 2 blocks from time square. Very clean, it had everything we needed and a friendly staff ready to assist if needed.

• Standard Queen Room

Rooms were ridiculously small. We are slim people, but we wouldn't have been able to get round the bed if we were a few pounds heavier. Breakfast was poor compared with the other 6 hotels we stayed at over the last 2 weeks.

Great location right in the heart of times square

• Standard Queen Room

I liked their service as the desk lady let us checkin earlier at 10am. Location was great in thr center amd breakfast was good. Rooms were equipped with everything you need

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

• Standard Queen Room

The daytime receptionist (girl) had a serious attitude and was rude throughout out stay. When we asked for good bars or things to see (that maybe only locals would know) she wouldnt answer our questions and sent us to the bar next door to the lodge, when we asked for a few more cool ones since we didnt want to go drinking but wouldve enjoyed a pint or two on a rooftop etc. she shut us down. She didnt help with directions at all and as stated was rude throughout.

The receptionist from Mumbai was brilliant, had great suggestions and helped us navigate the subways. The location is great, just off Times Square so easy to get everywhere. The lobby always had lemon water to grab on our way in or out, was great on a hot day.

• Standard Queen Room

Strong smell of burning heaters in hall and lift. Lift very slow (I'd recommend getting a lower level room and using the stairs! Air Conditioning sounded like an aircraft taking off and in a small room in the summer was required all night so I didn't get any sleep. Tried to cancel my room after the first night of no sleep but as I'd booked through bookings.com I couldn't get any refund or help. Spoilt my trip to NY. There is much better hotels cheaper available so keep looking!

Close to Times Square

• Standard Queen Room

The property was EXTREMELY noisy. The rooms are NOT sound proofed at all. One could hear other rowdy guests making noise in the hallway at 12:30 A.M. Also, the street traffic noise was unbearable. Every time a truck went down 8th avenue, it felt as though the truck was riding over your face. It was that LOUD. The room was EXTREMELY small. I've never seen a hotel room that size. The end of the bed nearly touched the wall, making it impossible to go around the end of the bed to get to the other side. One had to get on the bed and roll to the other side because you couldn't walk around the end of the bed. There wasn't enough room. The room was cold. The heating system didn't appear to be working so the hotel sent up a portable heater. That's a potential fire hazard. Finally, I smelled marijuana in my room. Someone was either smoking in one of the other rooms or perhaps it was coming from outside. My windows were closed though. So I don't know how that would be possible. The smell gave me a headache. Based on all of the reasons, I had a HORRIBLE experience at this hotel. I would not go there again.

location relatively close to times square

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

• Standard Queen Room

My room had smoke smell, the room was the size of the bed,the bathroom was too small to get in.There was lost a dust in the air condition when your turn it on with a bad smell, and last the next room they sent me too had no working cable.

The location was nice.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

I was expecting a small room, but this room was so small we could could not maneuver it without making everyone but the person on the move stay on their bed. The room was the length of the bed plus 1', but there was a heater on the floor that came out 4-6". So I could only get to my bed by shuffling sideways past the first bed. We got a room with 2 beds as our son was with us as well. Between three of us we had just 2 carry-on bags and a backpack, not a lot. We had to pile our stuff behind the door as there was not room for luggage. Don't bring anything that needs ironing as there is nowhere to set up the small ironing board and stand next to it.

Location was great for our agenda- very near the theaters and Times Square. Stafff was friendly. There was water and fruit and cookies available every day which was a nice treat when coming back after a long day of walking.

• Standard Queen Room

The sheets were clean, but had a couple of old stains on them. The property, in general, needs updating. The furniture was old and scratched up. The rug was stained. The bathroom was old, but very clean. The room was so small it was difficult for 2 people to move around. The coffee was horrible and lukewarm, with only powdered creamer. For the price, the friendly staff, and the location - all of that was worth it.

The staff was very accommodating and friendly! The bed was comfortable and the location was awesome! I found a promo code and got a terrific price that couldn't be beat.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

• Standard Queen Room

Room was not very large but for staying for one week it is good. We were completely satisfied. Thanks.

Staff was very good, helpful, food as well. Cleaning excellent. Good position in city. If I will come to New York I will stay there again.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

• Standard Queen Room

The lock did not work for my door, I had to get a maintenance worker to unlock my room each time I wanted to get in. Room was so tiny, I had to squeeze to get past the bed to the window. Hit my head on the mounted TV a couple times.

The bed was comfortable. The location was great, lots of nightlife, theaters, restaurants, shops, public transport nearby. Duane Reade/Walgreens across the street. 24/7 coffee and tea. Breakfast was pretty good. Earplugs were provided, as well as water and some snacks when I arrived in the room.

• Standard Queen Room

The place too small. No room service on the first night. Washroom too small, too much street noise, tv to small, not enough Chanel's, one ice machine on main floor, elevator takes a long time. Don't stay on the 5th floor. Very uncomfortable queen size room. Breakfast is cold and very plain.

The location was close to time square, Central Park, Madison square Garden

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

• Superior Queen Room

The noise, but that is totally expected. It's central New York!! This is not a negative towards the hotel at all. It's Times Square!!

Great central hotel . Friendly , helpful staff

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was pretty cramped. But we weren't there to hang out in the room.

The location was excellent, one block from Times Square. The staff was super friendly and helpful. The breakfast was as expected.

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

The room was tiny! Much smaller than it appears in the photos. I'm fairly small but I could only just squeeze down the side of it. The shower had hair in it from whoever occupied the room previously.

The location was excellent, very close to Times Square and the airport shuttle bus. Shower was hot with good pressure and bed very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 9 February 2017

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

It was noisy since our window was by a street, however, my wife and I did not mind the noise at all. There were ear plugs given by the hotel.

The hotel was close to Time Square. The room was small but we are just there to change and sleep. The staff was nice. It is a good value for the price, location, and convenince.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

• Standard Queen Room

I regret deciding to stay here for their breakfast--we thought we could save some time, but that is the last thing you should worry about when you're in Hell's kitchen. There are in face a LOTS of breakfast options, and the quality and experience will be worth the efforts. The breakfast simply doesn't worth it. The room is small, and rather old, but the location is unbeatable.

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

• Standard Queen Room

The room is quite small. But since i am alone it is just fine. Suitable for backpackers. (No big luggage, or else you dont have space to open your luggage). Couldn't avoid the noise at night. What to expect, you live in the middle of the city. Everything is fine.

It is quite affordable and easy excess to everything since it is just 1@2 blocks from Times Square.

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

When I checked in I was told they were sold out and they offered to Uber me to another location. I explained I wanted to stay at this location. The front desk called the manager and then found me a room. However I booked a double room and I was given the smallest room they had with no price adjustment. The room had broken curtains which did not close all the way. The room was extremely tiny. The bathroom and shower were very dirty. The curtain and towels were not fresh. This hotel was not worth the price

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

• Standard Queen Room

The room size was pretty small - literally the only thing i disliked about the hotel. The pros definitely outweigh the cons.

My Fiance and myself stayed here over Christmas and New Years (Econo Lodge is on 8th avenue which is not one of the streets that have closures during NYE) and absolutely loved it! The value for money was incredible and so close to Times Square!! The room size was quite small but it didn't bother us as we were never in the room! The staff are all so friendly and willing to help out with any questions or requests. There is also an included continental breakfast each morning which was really nice (bagels, toast cereal etc). I would recommend to anybody!

Browse Econo Lodge Times Square traveller photo gallery