Reviews of Econo Lodge Freeport 2 stars

537 US Route 1, Freeport, ME 04032, USA

#13 of 13 hotels in Freeport

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The bed sheets were not fresh , visible human hairs on bed sheets and wreaking of bad odor, we ended up sleeping on top of comforter and a very,very loud security alarm that went on for almost 30 minutes from the business adjacent to our hotel not a good stay for us not recommen- ding or staying on this establishment again

Proximity to Freeport

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Entrance off road shared with building next door - looks like original entrance was reconstructed. Slightly inconvenient if you're staying on south side of building. Older building not as sound-proof as newer buildings and my 2nd floor room was at head of stairs so heard a few noisy guests in the night.

excellent front desk reception, employee was very helpful with local information, restaurant recommendations and traffic info (Freeport has very bad traffic) Evidently hotel received renovations over past winter, as many complaints from prior guests (pre-2018) were moot. This is a lower-priced hotel in an old building in a very convenient, just off the highway location. needed lodging on short notice on Memorial Day weekend, had low expectation due to availability and low price. I was pleasantly surprised and wouldn't hesitate to stay again or to recommend. Beds comfortable, had fridge & microwave, bathroom clean. Room decor was 'Walmart' version of more upscale hotels but no complaints at all.

A/C blower made very loud noise in the "constant on" fan position. Unit seemed very noisy overall. Parking was very, very tight. Bathroom area very small. Mattress was pretty hard.

Location was excellent - easy off Rt. 1. Staff very friendly.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Told desk person when I left...hem of 1 curtain needs repair...totally un-sewn. And faucet control has come un-attached from round part that holds water in sink. Simple fix required I believe.

I 'm on special diet so having microwave+refrigerator in room was extremely helpful. Person @ night check-in was very helpful and person on duty in the am was also great. Both ladies very pleasant!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Would have needed a good spring cleaning after renovation. Ceramic dust behind toilet, dusty prints on dark headboard, sticky area in bath where sticker once was.

Newly updated. Nice, comfy decor.

Had room service walk into my room twice. Check in took 40 minutes just for me to get into my room and had to go back to the desk to give a different form of payment which i was told initially wasnt excepted. Breakfast was just bagels or toast, waffle mix was absolutely terrible. Room service didnt our sheets and the same empty toilet paper roll on the dispenser was still there. Staff i got a very rude man whos language towards me was very innopropriate. Luckily his last day was that day so no worries there.

Leaving

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

i understand this facility is "upgrading"?... the first room i was given an electronic pass-key to (room 129) never worked, no matter how i tried. i returned to office and was given a pass-key to room 131 which worked... however, this room looked ok but was really very dirty and gritty with plaster and grout dust on everything. This facility is re-doing their rooms... the pallets of tiles were outside the door in a parking space. My room was missing fridge. There was not 1 hanger. The clock was blinking the wrong time. The air/heating unit was extremely loud and "clunky". The "blight" around the back, where I was located and walked past with my dog was very unsightly with a smashed fridge and air/heating units, trash, junk, a few tossed pieces of furniture...not be-fitting the area in which this Econc-Lodge is located. I guess I know why the room was on "special"... The arm chair in the room is way too big, in the way and filthy, just as the floors were and all the furniture dust laden...

the location was great ... close to gas, store and a couple restaurants...

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Not a lot close by. One extremely rude employee there in the mornings - even refused to say hello! Also, wouldn't let us leave our bags there for a few hours after check-out.

Price is obviously the main attraction here, and for the price, the room is spacious and comfortable.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

There was an awful smell at the lobby and in the room that made me want to throw up. I immediately regretted my decision by booking this hotel to save a few dollars. I was there for 2 nights. Ended up booking Hampton Inn for the second night and left early.

Pretty much nothing.

Booked this room online, it gave me the option of having smoking or non smoking - I chose smoking, when I checked in was told it was all non smoking. Also when I booked the room, the room description said there would be a refrigerator - there wasn't one. I was on 1st floor, ice & vending was upstairs and on back side of the building. Way too far to go!! Missed the breakfast, checkout not till 11 am but breakfast ended at 9. Desk clerk at checkout was borderline rude.

Check in staff was friendly

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I know they are in the midst of renovations, however all of this could have easily been corrected. New towels not laundered, stickers still attached. Brand new toilet seat broken and I was accused of breaking it when I reported it at check-out. There was a glop of clear caulk on the bathroom counter. No refrigerator, very old microwave that wasn't even plugged in. Construction noise went well beyond 8 pm. The room has two double beds, sleeps four, but there were only three sets of towels. The room was filthy, a layer of gritty construction dust was over everything, including the bedding.

Location, and off season price. Very close to Freeport Village shops and Amtrak Station. Easy access to I 295/95. Breakfast was offered, but I didn't avail myself of the opportunity. This motel is under going renovations so I hope the summer crowd has a more pleasant experience than I did. The staff at check-in were very friendly and apologetic of the inconvenience associated with the ongoing renovations, however the staff member at check-out was accusatory of issues I brought to her attention.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Construction going on at the property. It did not affect our stay and we see the need to update. No refrigerator in the room.

Breakfast good. Location excellent. We had a room that had been remodeled and it was great.

Bathroom was in need or repairs, Ceiling was all patched. I think they are going to be updating all the rooms so this would be good.

Location to shopping was great.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

When we walked in, one of the beds looked like there were balls under the covers. There was black mold in the bathroom. The chain lock on the door was broken. I don't think we'll stay in this chain of hotels again.

It was easy to find. Good restaurant nearby.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

No "extras" in the room like fridg. or microwave and the TV reception was poor.

The room was simple but clean and comfortable. The personnel were friendly and helpful.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was from 6-9. It would be great to have it extended to 9:30a.

Room was clean and relatively well maintained. Staff very pleasant. Check in and check out process very easy.

It took four room transfers before I was finally put in a clean room. And I'm talking white stains on the outside comforters, hair and blood stains left in the bathtubs and sinks, it wasn't like it was an overreaction or a messy pillow. And I didn't even get a discount on my room or offered a free night stay.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Bathtub looked dirty where an adhesive mat was ripped up, there was an old room freshener on top of the curtains. The microwave was so old-we didn’t know what it was and the carpet felt wet. There were no eggs or bacon/sausage or fruit/yogurt etc just bagels, toast and waffles and instant oatmeal.

The bed was very comfy and the coffee was excellent. Two very important aspects of a room. The rest was not great.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Breakfast choices were very limited. There was no yogurt or eggs. All carbs.

Easy check in and out, great parking, near highway, easy to find, great location for everything, helpful staff.

The message light was on the phone when I arrived and the front desk couldn't turn it off and wifi was off. I unplugged the phone to turn off the flashing light and eventually after 2 complaints got the wifi to work. My room was on the first floor but people need to be warned there are outside stairways to the second floor - no elevators.

Breakfast had beautiful make your own waffles, bagels, bread for toast and cereal. No gluten free options. Nice location - quiet.

There was a small issue with cleaning where the previous quest left behind some cloths and it wasn't noticed.

We were just driving thru for one night and the property was as you would expect for the price range. I bit tired, but clean. Staff were nice and friendly. (We didn't have the breakfast, but it seemed quite popular). We went for a run in the neighborhood behind the hotel in the morning which was a nice and scenic.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

We were there 2 nights and never got our room attended to, example was the beds were never made! Outside of our room was dirty with litter and butts. The front desk guy left a lot to be desired. Not sure why he is in customer service as he was grumpy all the time and never helpful. He seemed just overwhelmed with life in general our entire stay.

There really was not much to like

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The guy a the front desk. Not friendly. Rude. He needs to go to a customer service class. Act professional. Don't say he,s 2 hour,s behind, And act like he to busy to answer your question when you get in.

The room,bed,food..

Sketchy Pricing - A legal document, displayed in the room (and each room I expect) indicated different pricing than the one charged. We were not honored that price and the manager never got back to us, when we came forth with our concern. They presented a pile of cutout-looking notecards rubber-banded up together that "were supposed to be updated" in every room, but simply did not have the time. (Side note, we checked in to our room at 11:00 pm, instead of noon). Breakfast was mostly poor. Orange juice and milk tasted like infused water instead. Very dissatisfactory range of things to chose from. You only pay what you get so don't expect any good quality type of breakfast. More like fast food type of breakfast.

The size of the room was rather satisfying. Parking is free. Location to Portland, ME is alright. Not close enough to the city but not far enough to drive. We only stayed there for one night, so we did not explore much of Freeport or the area.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The rooms were filthy, when my husband went to the front desk to talk to them the staff thanked him for being so nice in his complaint because all the other rooms that complained about the filth were not, that tells you how dirty the place was! By the way a 2.9 score is too high for this place.

Absolutely nothing

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

It was disgusting. Mildew in the shower, on the floor, even on the curtain. Smelled like stale cigarette smoke. Was so dirty we wouldn't eat the breakfast.

No one collected our towels or refreshed our supplies. Our bathroom door could not be opened without pushing hard so it could get by the toilet. The linoleum floor was sticky. The breakfast room wasn't air conditioned, and it there was no one cleaning or resupplying the food. There was no outside seating, aside from chairs stacked out behind the hotel. There were no disposal bags in the dog walk "area" which clearly hadn't been picked up in a while. We will never make the mistake of staying at an Econo Lodge again. We never had stayed at one before, but I mistakenly thought it would be more upscale due to its location in Freeport. Not so. We were so uncomfortable we would have left had it not been paid for two nights.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Rooms need updating. Our room was not dirty, but it wasn't perfectly clean either. Some corners had not seen a mop for some time!

Very decent breakfast

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Unfortunately, the refrigerator was unplugged when we arrived, and it smelled and there was mold in the freezer compartment. The floor wasn't thoroughly vacuumed. And in the bathroom under the toilet the less accessible place s were quite dirty and dark. Close to the door, a smell of dog, possibly a former pet room? Breakfast area was to small for the Mandy guests and was busy like a beehive. Only Single use plates and Cups. This isn't very ecological.

The very comfortable, clean beds and sheets are the upside of this place. Standard Motel breakfast with cereals,waffles,bagels etc. Was also good. Shower was clean, big tub and plenty of hot water. It's conveniently located 20 minutes to Portland and close to outlets.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Old fixtures in bathroom, need to upgrade and refresh. Prefer high rise toilets, Walk in shower. All fixtures need to update, Lamps, furnishings etc.

Liked Location.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Toilet and mirror wasn't clean.

close to the event I attended, best waffles -light fluffy inside and crispy outside, affordable for amount of time we were there.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

the clerk in the morning ... not so nice .... not very informative with directions for even in Freeport !!

The check in clerk was very nice !! Booked us in the bottom room and was so nice about it !!

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Freeport Maine is a favorable neighborhood. The building looks ok on the outside not so much on the inside. Toilet was dirty upon arrival and did not work well. Loose tiles . We stayed 2 nights and no service for second night.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

We found a piece of clothing from a previous customer. Makes me think the cleaner wasn't diligent.

The. bed was very comfortable. We got an upstairs room, as we asked for. Easy to find.

Only complaint is other travelers failed to notice they were not the only ones staying their. Family above us decided at 5am it was a good idea to sing happy birthday and jump on and off their bed above us.

The location of the hotel is super! Close to everything that Freeport has to offer. Parking is right in front of your room. Only a small walk to the office for free coffee/tea/hot cocoa. Office staff was very pleasant and helpful.

We really didn't care for it.the bathroom was dirty the bed had a stain on the the cover.the furniture wasn't placed right.and it was dusty and smelled of smoke.I would be ashamed to work for this company

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Bathroom could have been a little cleaner, but rest of the room was fine.

Beds were comfortable. We requested a roll away bed and it was ready when we checked in. The person at the front desk was very friendly. Gave us some helpful info about local events. Breakfast in the morning had delicious waffles and lots of other items- cereal, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, bagels, English muffins, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and some fresh fruit. A little something for everyone.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

The hotel desk is not open 24 hours. No iron in room. I stayed in a small king room but okay for 2. Charged 15.00 for my pet when it was suppose to be 10.00. Looked somewhat deserted upon arrival .Asked for a smoking room didn't get it even though they had so many rooms available, I know this because there was only about 3-4 cars in the parking lot. Vending and ice machine in far back of building. Kinda creepy if you go there in the middle of the night. Cheap toiletries that don't even smell good.(I forgot mine). They should have at least one chair outside of everyroom so you can sit outside(my opinion only) All outside lighting is shut off around 6-630am, even their roadside sign and parking lot lights are shut off. It was still very dark and going to the office, your car ,or anywhere else on the property was potentially dangerous.And I don't think housekeeping does a thorough job. I had to ask for things that should of been there.I travel a lot so I guess you get what you pay for. No frills .Overall its just okay and will do for a short stay.

Good location. Breakfast was good. No hot eggs (hard boiled cold and tasteless) but it is a continental breakfast with waffles,oatmeal, yogurt, muffins, bagels, cereal, juice ect. and it satisfied. The heating in the room worked very well. Beds very comfy and slept very well. Its okay- not bad just a couple of annoying issues.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room wasn't ready at checkin time, 3:00.

Very good value and location. We weren't there to stay in a motel room so I was satisfied for the cost.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Forgot to mention I was triple a at check in. Wouldn't adjust cost at check out. Mold on shower curtain.broken door handle on bathroom door and shower handle broken.

Nothing. If I'm in the area, I'll stay there again.

We travelled to Canada and this was a perfect spot to stay overnight and have a complimentary breakfast. A little fridge and a microwave in the room was a nice surprise. Coffee downstairs all day plus a little machine in the room. Heat, AC, proximity to the highway - I couldn't wish for anything better then that.

• Reviewed: 2 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Mold in the bathroom and a dirty shower. And I am not talking about a little mold. The shower curtain was covered in mold. There was black mold on the walls.Does anyone clean or check to make sure the bathrooms are clean.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

There was mold on and in the air conditioning unit and the bed covers really did not look clean. The shower curtain was hanging by only one screw that was barely holding on. The room where the serve breakfast was too small so couldn't sit...

The price and location were good. Breakfast was complete.

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

I can't think of anything that I didn't like. I know other reviewers complained about the lack of an elevator to the second floor, but unless you plan on emptying a U-Haul into your hotel room, I don't see this as a negative.

I didn't give a high rating for "facilities," because besides breakfast, there really weren't any amenities to speak of. That said, I wasn't paying a lot for the room, I knew exactly what I was getting, and it was all perfectly fine, since my daughter and I spent more time at her tennis tournament than at the hotel. Breakfast was certainly more than adequate (there were even peeled, hard-boiled eggs each morning). The room was clean and quiet, even though we were right above the lobby. I found the beds to be quite comfortable. (I like a mattress that is on the firmer side, but I have broad shoulders and sleep on my side, so if the mattress is too firm I'm uncomfortable. This one was perfect.) The proximity to Freeport and the outlets was also ideal, if you like to shop (although I didn't do any there). The hotel is a stone's throw from the main shopping street. What I DID do was poke next door in the quilt shop, which took me less than 30 seconds to walk to from my car in the hotel parking lot. That was fun! The value was good and the staff friendly. I would definitely stay here again.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

While the room was clean, the wallpaper and some of the wall board above the shower was coming down. Also, the AC left the room feeling very damp and uncomfortable. Had to open the door for fresh air.

Convenient location. Easy check-in.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

Unfriendly staff

We went out to breakfast only to return to a room that had been stripped!!! We returned from breakfast at 9:15. WAY PRIOR to Ck out time. WHAT THE HELL??? We have used this facility numerous times and find it an adequate value. Ck in staff was not friendly at all. We will be back but will certainly be looking for better treatment!

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

Black mold on the AC unit. Had to get a cleaning cloth from front desk to clean it. Totally disgusting.

Everything wasn't poor but the black mold on the AC unit makes it so I want it to get the lowest rating. We will never stay again.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

This is hard to fix but the bathroom door is a very tight fit against the toilet in the bathroom. Would need a smaller toilet or a different type of door to address the issue.

Bed was very comfortable with nice bedding covers and an extra pillow

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The mattresses were the most uncomfortable I've ever slept on. The fitted sheet didn't cover the mattress completely on the side so you could see they weren't new looking. There was no blanket, so if you got cold during the night, you had to use the bedspread (ick) to keep warm. No one likes to touch them because they are not washed with each new guest. The rooms definitely need updating.

good location, good to have coffee maker in the room

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

This place was the second and the last time we stay at an Econo Lodge one was just as dirty as the other, does "Econo" mean they don't have housekeepers to clean the place?

It was a convenient location.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

The price is way too high for me. I did check around and it was one of the cheapest but I just think it should have been cleaner, bigger and softer bath towels, and it needs updating.

Loved the location. Less than 2 miles from ll bean. I walked there in the morning with my dog.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The one vending machine did not work and was led to believe that a full breakfast would be offered,when we went for breakfast at 8:30 am there was not much there, the virtual tour on website had small frig,our room did not and did not provide an iron.

• Reviewed: 9 July 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Comphy.beds good breakfast great location arrived a little early first room was not ready so instead of having to come back he gave us a finished room so we could put are luggage in the.room came from pa for my granddaughter high school graduation

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The ice and vending machines are located up a flight of stairs which makes it hard if you have a physical limitation.

Had a restful, quiet, enjoyable stay. The room was clean and perfect for two people.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Nice continental breakfast which started at 6 am Which was great because I was running an early race at Pineland Farms Lady at the front desk was very helpful and pleasant

Stayed in May 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

No iron, no ironing board, had to unplug fridge to plug in tv

No ESPN on TV

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

How they working on things late at night that set fire alarm off 4 different times.it started at 10 pm and continued

Easy check on and check out

More comfortable beds

Location was right for us

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The room was very clean and the location was close to our destination. Staff was very friendly with quick checkin/check out process.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Coffee machine that was cleaner and larger for making your own coffee.

Did not give me the exact room that I requested

Breakfast and convenient location

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Staff are not quite friendly.

Overall it was a nice place to stay.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The friendlyness of the staff depends on who is there...

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Rudeness of morning staff. Guests felt uncomfortable at breakfast area.

Location - easy access to highway & shopping area.

Breakfast. But ok for room price. Bed was to hard I am side sleeper had sore shoulders when I woke up. Bathroom layout not good

location price

Convenient

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Upgrading the rooms , making noise in the night grining and hamming

House burned down place to stay until Apt. open up.

We tried to get our money back because there were non-smoking rooms. We will never visit this hotel chain again.

Tv reception was poor.

Rooms will be great when COMPLETED.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Bathroom was dirty. The shower was not clean and the toilet had urine on the back of it.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Property is old and outdated but looked like renovations were ongoing

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

It is an older building but in decent shape.

Close to downtown. A quiet location. It offers drive-up rooms

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Discount coupons for the stores/restaurants in Freeport would have been nice.

Staff was very friendly.