Reviews of Embassy Inn Hotel 3 stars

1627 16th Street Northwest, Northwest, Washington, DC 20009, USA

#132 of 138 hotels in Washington

6.1

5.9

Nice hotel but the the room was very small.

The room was very small. On my receipt, it said Double room but there was only one full size bed. I had a friend that came at the last minute so I called to request a roll-out couch but I was told they don't have have any. No parking available unless you luck up and find one out front.

The room was nice and cozy. Nice TV

Great for a budget!

It’s a little hard to find if you don’t know where to look. There were also ants in our room, so make sure to seal up any food items (we made that mistake for you).

Very close to everything! Easy check in process and great price! The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful :)

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. It was too late for a refund and I wouldn't be able to s

Nothing else. We got there at 3:00, the room wasn't ready. 40 minutes later the staff stated I could look at this particular room. We were not happy, they finished our room and it wasn't any better. It was very small. Towels were very dingy (gray), hard and wrinkled.

Walking up to the outside was pretty and very historical.

Good stay

Checkout is 11am but the housekeepers arrived after 8am to clean and woke us up. Despite knowing we were still in the room, they returned and talked outside the room so we decided to leave before 11.

Location-it was great! The rooms were clean and comfortable. Good internet and TV. Plenty of towels and toiletries.

Clean and good location

The so call "free wifi" was so horrible, kept on turning off. So to all potential guest out there, better equip yourself with your very own wifi connection. Cos the internet connectivity is potentially non existence during ur stay. And the front desk staff were not friendly and helpful at all. All putting on a straight face that were not even inviting!

Clean and good location

We had a wonderful stay in this hotel!

Some members of the staff could be more kind and helpful, specially men.

We had a wonderful stay in this hotel! In relation to what we had to pay, everything was excellent and just what we where expecting.

Cheap place, you get what you pay for

The bed was extremely narrow, I’ve never seen this size of double bed in hotels. The airconditioning was quite loud and the walls are thin.

It wasn’t really far from white house.

Great town. Fair and comfortable hotel. Found staff to be competent

Would have liked to have been better informed of city biking possibilities. Granted I didn't know it was so convenient until I tried it.

Nice historic building 24 hr. quality food nearby.

nice location, not all the amenities

one thing i didn’t like was the strong. dog pee smell as you are walking up the stairs from the neighbor. they have a spray for that. on the website itis advertised as having free breakfast. that doesn’t exist. shuttle service doesn’t exist. free parking doesn’t exist. and some the staff, only some not very friendly!

the location is nice. lots of choices for food just one block over. walkable neighborhood. the bus stop to get to the museums is literally across the street and several blocks down is another bus route

Horrible

Staff members. It was only one staff member that was great. I don’t know his name but he works the morning shift.

My credit card was locked because the front desk put in the wrong information while trying to collect the payment. Then had nerves to say it’s my card.

Under the same circumstances I would stay there again.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Elevator was broken for most of our stay, but they did get it fixed before our stay was up. Air conditioner didn't work well.

Room ok, but a little difficult to maneuver around the first bed. Location was great, within easy walking distance to Thomas Circle where the rest of our party was staying.

Good location.

The room was in a basement next to the staff room, so we heard voices since 8 am. It was like they were talking and standing next to your bed. Television screen also in a bad quality, no breakfast. The price does not meet with the quality. We were there only for 1 night, but I would not stay in this hotel for the next time.

Good location.

Location is great, that’s all

Small staff unable he help or attend you. There was no elevator and they never helped me with my suitcases and I never saw an intention to fix the elevator in 3 days. It’s an old building therefore expect ants and bugs, there is no room refrigerator so my blueberries ended up filled with ants after a few hours. The cleaning staff is agreeable and amiable, but the person who did my check-in at the front desk was super rude, if it weren’t for the location I would have left. If you are elderly and need help with your suitcase or anything else don’t stay here. If you are a young backpacker I have seen better hostels than this hotel.

Location is great, that’s all

The hotel was clean and convenient, but I spent as little time there as possible.

The staff was always on their phones or doing something else and distracted. They were friendly, but it was odd. The basement is also very creepy. Towels were very raggedy.

IT was convenient and clean

the location is very convenient

the hotel does not offer breakfast. In order to get breakfast guests have to walk 2 blocks at least. The elevator was out of order for two days. One of the youg ladies at the lobby was extremely unfriendly ( the others were helpful). The cleaning was unsatisfactory

the location is very convenient

Not good at all.

- The leak in the ceiling of room 507 all night long Friday. And the noise of the drops kept us up. Really bad. - The receptionist not friendly. - No elevator. - No parking.

Nice location, friendly staff, fabulous ambience.

Would rather not have self-serve coffee, oh and the orange juice wasn’t freshly squeezed. But honestly, these were not disappointments.

The staff follow through immediately with questions or concerns and solved them. We thought the windows weren’t locking, and they were fixed within minutes. We needed more clothes hangers and within minutes we had more! Loved the decor.

Terrible, avoid staying here if you can help it.

The rooms were old, dirty and smelled quite badly. I only stayed here because I had no choice on short notice. The hotel sheets were dirty and I kept feeling like there were bugs on the bed all through the night. It was terrible. At one point the water was shut off, the wifi was intermittent and not functional.

Nothing. The rooms were old, dirty and smelled quite badly. I only stayed here because I had no choice on short notice. The hotel sheets were dirty and I kept feeling like there were bugs on the bed all through the night. It was terrible.

It was alright walking distance to white house park and Washington monument.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The mattress was expecting at least breakfast light.

It has two double bed one bed the mattress is soggy. Carpet still has white powder in the corner and has stain.

Overall we enjoyed the stay.

Hotel is tired and in need of redecorating. Bed clothes and towels are worn and washed out. We would have preferred tea and coffee in the room.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

Parking in front of the hotel is a bit of a problem you...

Location was perfect.Restaurants few minutes away.

Parking in front of the hotel is a bit of a problem you have to be lucky to find a good space .But We found a parking close by ,$17 for 24hr witch wasn't too bad.

It would be a charming place if the property were better maintained.

Immediately upon arriving, I noticed the carpeting looked worn. While it was kept clean, it was obvious this carpet had not been replaced in many years. The same was noticed about the upholstered furniture throughout the property. There where other details that were overlooked.

Convenience within the city area; quaint, private atmosphere.

disappointed, but maybe that's all $200 gets you in DC

perhaps my expectations were too high. I thought $200 would get me a nicer room. Instead it was small, with a lousy TV connected to a cable box and most channels were encrypted. The bed was too small for me (I'm 5'10") so I had to lie diagonally. There was no hand soap in the bathroom.

It was clean.

This was our third stay and we'll be back.

Basement room was small with no windows that would open. But it was quiet! In seven days we encountered only one staff member who was not helpful and friendly .

Good location with access to bus, metro, restaurants and grocery store. Not the “Ritz,” but a good value for the money. Coffee, tea, ice and a shared frig. and microwave are available in the cozy little lobby. Older building that has been updated. Very clean, good bed and shower.

Never going back

Everything. The room size was too small. The room stunk. The towels were dirty. The bed was ancient and uncomfortable. The rug smelled. The room needed renovation. Overall will never go back.

The employee only.

The coffe is some of the worst I have ever had but I stayed...

The coffe is some of the worst I have ever had but I stayed there for location and because I know the staff is kind and helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

Will come again!

Noise coming from the backyard/ side of the building

Free coffe and tea throughout the day, convinience of a little fridge in the lobby, nice music and atmosfere.

Everything you need, nothing you don't.

Honestly IDK, for the price it is great, maybe some pastries in the morning and better coffee.

The staff was nice, they let me check in early and held on to my bag the last day after I checked out. The location and price are not to be beat, if you can stand a small place that is a little rough around the edges then this is your spot. Great place to call home base while you explore the city.

Good location, but you get what you pay for.

The shower was luke warm for two days, and the walls were so thin that I lay in bed overhearing my neighbour's TV until 2:30am. That along with super-slow WiFi made me rather cranky. Also beware that check-in is not until 3pm.

The location is excellent; just a short walk to some great cafes, and 10-15 minutes walk to Dupont Circle where you can catch the Metro.

Disappointing because I thought I booked bed and breakfast

The hotel website advertises free continental breakfast. Turns out to be a lie - they don't provide breakfast!

The bed was comfy and the shower was clean

I would use the Inn on another occasion.

carpet a little dirt and brighter signage.

hard to locate due to size and it appears to be in a residential area. Parking is hard but staff help solve a bit of this issue.

The area was really good, within 10 min walking you reach...

The room was very small, but for one night totally fine!

The area was really good, within 10 min walking you reach Dupont Circle which is really cool to go out there.

Overpriced, employees not very helpful.

The first night in the hotel was awful. They put us in a basement room, with a crack on the window because of which the room was really cold. After calling the employee, they put duck tape on the window. Thankfully, after insisting in changing the room, on the second night they put us in a good room. The employee at the front desk was neither helpful or nice. There was some problems with the amount charged for the reservation and we only got it solved after a few calls.

Never again
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

noisy - not clean - expensive for what you get - very basic I had to change room after the first night as my "neighbors" were arguing so loud and making so much noise, probably high on something. Not pleasant!

the location

Would not come back.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was very small. We had to wait a few times to be buzzed in because no one was at the desk. We asked for clean towels and they were not even folded. Looked like they were taken out of the basket and handed to us.

4.5
    not bad

the bed is bad and the there is no safe box , signing many papers if there is a stealing within the hotel the hotel is not responsible it means other issues here, safety. the reception was not helpful except one.

nothing.

Everything except the location. The worst hotel I have ever been. Embassy Inn, except from the location which is good, was total rip-off. Check-in experience was bad.

The outside looks much better as the inside tell you

The Room was very small,we hat hardly space for our luggage. The Hotel is very oldfashion,but ok for 2-3day stay.

the Hotel was not so far away from the the With House(20-30 min walking) there was hot water beside the Rezeption(for coffe or tea)

Never staying here again.

THE ANTS IN MY BED.

There were ants in my bed and the windows would not open at all. The room so was small and the microwave was not in the room. You have to walk all the way to check in to heat up food.

The hotel is in a quite neighborhood less than one half mile...

The hotel needs to be updated. Old carpets, etc

The hotel is in a quite neighborhood less than one half mile to DuPont Circle. It is a good value for the money in that area.

Bookings let me down. Paid much more than needed.

Advertised airport shuttle. Called and they advised no shuttle take taxi. Added 70 to my trip. Expensive hotel for not much.

Friendly and great location for restaurants.

I said enough

Everything else. Tv didn’t work. Staff was rude and standoffish. Nobody said hello or good morning. When I checked in the guy at front desk didn’t even look up. Then it was super thin walls. Some kids were screaming the whole entire time. I asked for change for the one vending machine and the front desk couldn’t even give me it. It was just a gross little place. I was excited bc I thought It would be a cute little bed and breakfast type place and it was more like a boarding house.

It was close to everywhere I needed to go. It was also in a safe neighborhood

Safe place.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The toilet was clogged and no continental breakfast, only tea. I had to park far away to unload my belongings to do check in.

Staff was friendly and professional. It was a safe area. I parked on the street and save money. They responded to my service call very fast.

I would not stay at embassy again.

Deeply unsatisfactory - eg toilet paper was like cotton fluff! Very poor. Lack of cleanliness, noise paper thin wall, lack of coffee in room lack of fresh milk etc. Etc.

I am disappointed by the whole experience.

OK for a short stay. For price expected a little more.

Parking was a nightmare! Had to move from front of hotel each night at 4-6:30 PM for rush traffic. Limited 2 hour parking on side streets. Took 2 hrs Tuesday night to find a parking space. Most streets are one way and it was raining so hard to see markings on pavement. Unmarked parking spaces so harder to park a middle size car. Parked one time only to find out it was only residential parking..had to start all over driving around. Low water pressure and noisy heater in room. Microwave in hotel lobby.

Good location. Staff was very helpful. Walking distance to restaurants.

Could be cleaner in side the rooms.

Could be cleaner in side the rooms. It needs a darker carpet so u dont see March of the stains. Walls need to be cleaner. Just needs to be really cleaned really good. and kept up.

I liked the location of the hotel

The main entrance, have to ring the bell to enter , sometimes no one is there to open for you and you have to stand outside .

I liked the location of the hotel

Poor upkeep. The hot water issue is unncceptable

Having hot water was an issue. Walls had holes, bed sheets and skirts were stained. I switched rooms twice. Drinking Water was served in jugs standing in kitchinett area.

Very basic. If you just need somewhere to lay your head at night and go in and out then it’s fine.

Very small tv, no comforter on bed, no extras such as breakfast evening snacks vending machines bar resteraunt, coffee section didn’t have liquid creamers only a powdered one and microwave was dirty, Elevator didn’t always work etc.

Location, staff and parking and it felt very home like.

Unpleasant
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was unbelievably small. Not to mentioned the shower!!! It’s almost impossible to shower without flooding the bathroom. And don’t get me started with the super hard rock bed. My mom and I got back pain from sleeping on them😕. Also the staff wasn’t friendly with us at all. When I checked out the staff at the lobby made me feel stupid for checking out at 4am (our flight was at 7am so we have to rush back to the airport).

Perhas only the location since it’s pretty close to a lot of tourism spot.

Great price, staff, location.

Hated the cold shower early in morning ~ one was way too much! Why not tell guests at front desk "warmer" water after 6:15 am EVERY morning, we apologize for the inconvenience. A small refrigerator would be great in the small rooms also with the small ironing board the iron was way to big!

Loved the location but not as a lovers get away in my opinion! For romance more room, a reg size ironing board (to go with the regular size iron) Why not have a Embassy Inn hotel listing of close eateries by country, how many blocks away, turn left / right when leaving the property along that line of thinking.

Nice place for a quick stop. Great value. Not so friendly staff

Staff was not friendly at all. No way to access the hotel unless they buzz you in. We waited outside over 5 minutes after returning from dinner because he wasn't at the desk to buzz is in.

This was a nice cozy place. Walking distance to a lot of restaurants

A nice hotel in a nice location.

Nothing really. Except that towels can be a little "whiter". But they were truky clean.

Deloris, Sam and Femy. Also the music that they play in the lobby.

smelly

strong and annoying smell of cigarets in our room, which was also really dark.

comfortable bed, clean sheets and comforters. also, we had access to the coffee machine and microwave in the reception.

Very disappointed with the hotel.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The first room I was given was too small for two beds. My 4 year old could barely squeeze through the door and between the end of the bed and the wall was very tight. We couldn't roll our luggage through the door. The dresser in the room was missing handles. The second room I was given, The shower drain was clogged and filled up with water while showering and took a long time to drain when I was finished.The website said there was a continental breakfast but they didn't have one and stopped offering it in June 2017. My stay was December 2017.

The White House is a mile from the hotel and we were able to walk to it.

disappointing

The lack of hot water at least 90% of the time. I told the desk clerk about this two times and he said he would look into it. But nothing seems to have been done to correct the problem. I had friends staying in the hotel and they said they also did not have hot water. Some of the desk clerks seemed more concerned with staring at their phones than with the comfort of the guests.

The hotel is attractive, in a great location in walking distance to many shops, cafes, and public transport. The rooms are comfortable, albeit small and cramped.

Terrible

Room was size of a closet. Bathroom was worst, when using toilet, had to flush 5 Times for it to work. So many other things too leangthy to write. When sitting on toilet, my knees were hitting the sink. Shower was a terrible experience.

Good place to stay, will come again.

Size of the room was just nice for two adults but was manageable.

Their service, lobby facilities to sit and of course free flow coffee and tea at the lobby was convenient.

Make WI-FI work in the rooms.

WI-FI connection should work in the rooms. Get Internet access from the rooms. No need to go the lobby.

Wi-Fi in the hotel rooms not working. You need to go to the lobby to use your laptop or other devices.

Terrible.

This building had a terrible noise inside coming out from water pumps. It was like a throbbing sound and made it nearly impossible to sleep in nights. I changed my room also but the noise was coming in the new room too.

Dirty, run down, terrible!

Honestly, one if the worst places I‘ve ever seen. The room was so small that it was problematic to put the bag somewhere. It was super cold and taking a closer look at the heater, it was all covered in mold (see pictures)!! Turning that machine on would have spread that fungi throughout the whole room, which is definitely a health risk. The bathroom was dusty and one of the lamps didn‘t work. The water in the shower was warm but not hot enough. The towels were gray as well as the sheets that were wrinkly and stained. Generally a disgusting impression. It was extremely loud because of a machine working on the outside. The windows were so dirty, honestly, I‘ve never seen that before. Are you guys cleaning at all?? The furniture was damaged, 80% of the TV channels didn‘t work and the freely provided Wifi didn‘t work either. I was glad to only stay there for one night!

Location was good. A walk away from the white house. Some shops and restaurants were quite close, which was useful as there‘s no breakfast in the hotel.

My worst stay ever

everything, the worst front desk personnel I've ever seen, charging me a whole night in spite me informing them Ill leave 7 o'clock in the morning of that day , the dark small room , nonironed bed sheets , uncomfortable bed , shower not like picture

Absolutely nothing

A room and the hotel's services are fair enough as it is reasonable price in a perfect location

Heater made bizarre noise during the second night. I'd asked the staff to fix in the next morning, but it still occured in the third night. Wifi is unpredictable. Though I could connect sometimes, it is so slow.

Excellent neighborhood. Price is reasonable. Though the room is a bit old, the facilities are well prepared.

I enjoyed my stay and if I return to DC would stay again.

Nothing stood out that I did not likeaA

Facility was clean maids helpful towels and bedding clean and room made up with bed turned down. Staff mostly helpful.

Parking was a disaster.

Parking was a disaster. The recommended parking, which had a running time from 8.00, was closed on the day of departure at 9.00. Receptionist did not help us absolutely.

Absolutely stay away from this place.

Terrible rooms, poorly maintained, indifferent staff and lousy value. We were booked for three nights. We left and went to another hotel after one night.

Great location, great price, and good for people looking for simple accommodations.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The beds/mattresses were not very comfortable. Also, we asked for a queen and we got 2 full beds, but we made it work!

The location was awesome and close to everything. For the price, it was all we could ask for.

It was a basic room in a good location.

The rooms were very basic and there was gum stuck to the wall when I arrived, which was a complete turnoff. Also there were stains on the bed sheets and the mattresses were very hard and uncomfortable. The Wifi never worked for me the whole time I was there. It's just very dated and I had to pay an extra $35 to get two double beds instead of one double bed, which at other hotels they would just change you to another room if it was comparable.

I will say that a positive of the hotel is that it is in a good location.

Great price for a great location.

I don't drink coffee but my husband said it was really bad.

No parking at this hotel, it is a few blocks away. Room was very clean, staff was very nice, bed was only a full but I knew this when I booked, price was great for the location.

The place is small but clean. It does the trick if you need a cheaper place to stay.

The parking situation was ridiculous. I called the hotel desk ahead of time to find out where to park, and she told us the parking garage location. We had to pay $80 to park for 2 nights, we couldn’t take our car out after we checked in, and it was still a 15 minute walk back to the hotel...with all our luggage.

The location was great and the employees were very nice.

Overall, I had a great experience. It was good value for money and I would recommend it to others.

The hotel is a little far from Metro stations. WiFi in the room was very weak, so I had to access internet in the lobby.

The room was clean and they provided all the basic amenities that I needed. The staff and guests were pleasant!

Good deal

Not much of a natural light in the room. Also very tiny. Water was not hot. Plumbing issue. No food at all Poor WiFi

Good price Excellent location Staff is friendly Lobby looks very nice and vintage

I would say it’s an ok value.

The Inn is obviously in need of updates. Housekeeping was adequate, bathroom was clean, shower did not drain.

The location near DuPont Circle is great.

little stink in the shower area.

other than that, it is good except a.c.. it seems not working good. hot room.

little stink in the shower area.... check the tile between the floor and the wall by the right corner. little open, that's why water go inside in there.

Although the staff was nice the hotel accommodations were...
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Although the staff was nice the hotel accommodations were terrible. The beds were very uncomfortable. The cleanliness was questionable (stained sheets, wall paper ripping and stained). FYI the picture of the lobby on the website is not the actual lobby!