Reviews of Embassy Suites Alexandria - Old Town 3 stars

1900 Diagonal Road, Alexandria, VA 22314, USA

#8 of 41 hotels in Alexandria

• Double Suite with Balcony - Non-Smoking

The front desk didn't check me in as a Hilton honors guest upon arrival. I asked about it a few days later and the guy at the front desk put me off and said wait until you check out. Upon checking out they claim they gave me my points but couldn't tell me how many I earned. This is a universal problem at all Hilton properties. They never can access anything concerning rewards points. It's a sham. Been staying at Hilton hotels for years and no discount in sight!!! Parking garage is for compact cars only. Spaces were extra small.

Location was great. Breakfast was the best. Cleaning staff was the best I've ever had.

• King Suite

Incredible staff! From Jeremy at the Capese restaurant, to the gentleman in Maintenance who placed me near an electrical outlet in the lobby so I could charge my phone.

• Standard Double Suite

It does get busy but then why shouldn’t it :)

There are many reasons to choose this property and few to mention the spacious rooms, excellent location to explore Alexandria or just crossing the road to get on a metro to head to the DC attractions... a decent breakfast is included in the price

• Standard Double Suite

Only complaint. Wasted too much time on the phone getting transferred back and forth to the same people just to get the wifi information. Didn't seem like they wanted to really help.

Very nice inside the hotel. The set up is great and beautiful. Great breakfast options. Comfy bed. Restaurant staff are really nice! Walking distance to many nearby restaurants, but we actually enjoyed staying in the hotel and eating at their restaurant and enjoying the ambiance.

• Standard Double Suite

Cleanliness in bar area and bathroom. Setup to serve breakfast at all. Very noisy. Kids were running up and down the hall at night. Very noisy in my room.

Poor setup in lounge area for appetizers and for breakfast. We ordered a pizza and salad for dinner. Took almost an hour to get order placed and delivered to us in lounge. Very. Poor quality of pizza. It was cold, waited and waited for a check. Finally after asking for several times got the bill, tried to pay it and server was so busy he did not return, so I left my room number on receipt. Restaurant manager called to see what the problem was. She went on and on about being short staffed, etc and finally said she would remove charges, bathroom in lounge area was so dirt. Pee on floors in stalls and smelled. I try to stay at Embassy Suites when .i travel but after this experience will be hesitant to do so unless reviews are excellent.Very difficult to get food in morning, so tight a space for so many people.

• King Suite with Spa Bath - Disability Access

The advertising for a spa tub and there was no spa tub. And what hotel room needs a 10 seat dining room setup?

The value added features like breakfast was stellar.

• Standard Double Suite

Some features in the room were outdated (very old microwave, mini-fridge had no temperature controls, bathroom door had a hook for towel/clothing, but unpainted wood around the hook and bottom of door showed signs of water damage, and the housekeeper assigned to our room was not thorough. On the day of check in, pieces of cookies were all over the carpet, table top/desk top not wiped down.

Desk staff were friendly, Breakfast was very good. Staff responded to any concerns quickly and were courteous

• Standard Double Suite

No good restaurants near hotel, Area gets bad after 7:00 pm. No valet was available to help us check in and had to roll in our own cart. Ada room was not available first night. Beds are smaller than expected

Location for metro

• Standard Double Suite

The pool is completely unsafe. It’s extreamly slippery and someone fell really badly while I was there. The life guard told me that he was unable to wipe up the floors because there would be water right back on the floor in minutes. I was told by the guard that a kid actually broke their nose due to the slippery pool. I notified the front desk cleark and they seemed unmoved by my comment. They must be used to the pool complaints.

I really enjoyed the breakfast and reception in the evening.

• Standard Double Suite

Great location for jumping on metro to head to DC and see all the sights! Suite, complimentary breakfast, and location made it the perfect choice for our family.

• Executive King Suite - Non-Smoking

Coffee machine did not plug into the 3-prong receptacle, but grateful I always travel with my own instant and there was a microwave in room; not enough seating in the main areas...only near the concierge desk. Great atrium area, so would have appreciated being able to sit near the fountains or in an area to watch the goings on.

Bed was comfortable, but the blanket not heavy enough for March weather; needed to adjust thermostat and snuggle in with all 4 pillows; Room gorgeous and plenty of space to spread out; well appointed; free breakfast is always great, and last night, happy hour from 5-7:30, sat down to a free glass of wine and a chat with a new friend.

• Executive King Suite

I didn't like the parking. The spaces was to small, but I guess that is what you get when parking in the city. The place was super busy, and that made the service slow.

The food was good and the rooms was very clean. My phone didn't work in the bedroom. But, I would stay there again.

• King Suite

I didn't make it to the pool.

The breakfast was fantastic. The chefs were so organized and nice. Our room was very comfy. The staff was more than accomadating. The manager's reeception was very nice also. The Embassy Suites have been consistent in my experience.

• King Suite with Balcony

Breakfast was good, but could have used waffle makers for breakfast bar. Also, the rooms do not have bath tubs, just stand up showers which is fine with me, but my daughter was looking forward to a nice hot bath.

The location was excellent with the Metro across the street and many attractions only a short car ride away. Room was nice and spacious. Really nice clean area. Many restaurants and stores in walking distance.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

• King Suite

When me and my boyfriend arrived , the hotel was under new upgrades and construction so some parts the building was closed off and had plastic wrap and one night I was sleeping and heard the workers work 5a.m in the morning which was annoying ! They said on the elevator guest notice they started November 13 2017 and planned on finishing in 4 months .

The property was amazing , me and my boyfriend went for 3 nights and don’t drive , so we Uber for far distance but anything close we got on the trolley which is LITERALLY right across the street . The trolley comes every 15mins and the it takes you to king street which is a Main Street full of stores , restaurants & old shops with a old 1990 feels and it’s amazing, I even went down to the waterfront which was a art museum near by ! It’s a great area you can’t beat it ! Amazing complimentary breakfast even cook breakfast right in front of you for certain items , pool and jacuzzi it like just a wonderful place i give it 9/10 . Only due to construction noise time to time .

• King Suite

Maybe because I reserved the least expensive room the bedroom window faced the Metro. You can hear the trains but slept with the TV on. Room was cold even after setting the temp to 74f. Could hear my next door neighbor banging the headboard.

It is walking distance to where I work, very convenient. The Metro is right across the street so if you need to go to DC that's a good thing. Comfortable bed. I reserved a king size but got a double, no biggie, just needed a good night's rest.

• King Suite

Location - two minutes walk to the metro, and then less than ten minutes to the airpirt. walking distance to Oldtown Alexandria. The room (suite) was excellrnt and the breakfast was very good.

• Executive King Suite

I reserved 2 Executive Suites, for my Mom’s 65th Birthday party. Booking.com isn’t updated or doesn’t communicate with the hotel properly. I had to get 2 King Suites, which was way too small for the planned event.

The hotel staff was very accommodating. Robert was the best that I’ve had to deal with ever.

• Standard Double Suite

The garage situation is the biggest challenge but not a significant turn off.

Excellent location. Across street from King St Metro station. Complimentary breakfast and libations great! Parking garage ($32 per day) is cramped so challenging for larger vehicles to navigate and park. Large clean rooms and quiet. I stay here quite frequently. All together makes for an excellent stay.

• King Suite with Spa Bath - Disability Access

Parking was a expensive hassle. Spent $42.00 for two nights in the garage and the spots were very small and arkward for my minivan

I had a excellent stay the bed was comfortable, breakfast was excellent and the hotel was beautiful

• Standard Double Suite

The inconvenience of being over charged for $32 for parking..they charged me $210 ..when I told them of the overpayment..they charged my card the correct amount of $171..so therefore both payments are pending and being held in my account

Everything was great except that they over charged me for parking..and in order to refund my funds ..the staff changed my card for the correct stay amount ..so therefore I was charged twice..when I called they told me that my funds would be available 2-3 business days..even tho the charge was pending it still came out of my account and the funds were being held...

• King Suite with Balcony

Staff was rude, stole two comenmerotive glasses from my room. Power outlets were not I. Good shape and would not hold chargers. Mini fridge got way hit and in thought it might catch fire, bad to turn it off.

Location was beat, right next to metro.

I had to come home.

The DC Metro station was across the street from the hotel. We also traveled twice on the free shuttle bus down King St, including the night we found a great Italian restaurant.

• Standard Double Suite

We were charged $32 per day to park in the parking garage. We were unaware of this additional charge. The parking garage had only a few spots for the hotel, so it was a hassle.

• King Suite

The staff at the front desk was truly the unfriendliest we have seen at a hotel. Very unorganized when we checked in; almost like the two people there didn't want to wait on us. There was this man that hung around the check in desk that did NOTHING. He was creepy, and if you asked him a question he would point to the other staff. He had a uniform on so I know he was employed there, but he was very strange and unfriendly.

Room was fine, bed was comfy, everything was clean

• King Suite

More staff for morning breakfast time

Ran out of items on buffet line and after it was reported took too long for staff to replenish (no butter for pancakes & then they were cold because it took 10 min. For staff to replenish it,)

• Standard Double Suite

BREAKFAST wasn't good and a couple of staff members were rude during check out

The bed was great, most of the staff were super friendly, eggs were horrible, sausage was horrible, yogurt was tasty. Room was VERY clean and I check thing thoroughly

• King Suite

Low water pressure at the bathroom sink. Slippery tub, I actually fell in tub for shower. A little too much chlorine in pool.

The pillows were EXTREMELY comfortable!Suite was roomy and convient location near trains to DC. Nice area. Loved the free breakfast.

• King Suite

Air Conditioning did not work properly. Cleaning staff failed to clean my room one day and I had call for towels two days in row. They did make reparations for the short comings.

The location was great.

• King Suite with Spa Bath - Disability Access

We booked a room with a "spa" bath, but it was just a regular bathtub. The hotel only has standing showers or regular baths, no true spa tubs. The room was falsely advertised as having a spa bath.

The breakfast was great, nice location

• King Suite

What we didn't enjoy how old and moldy the bathroom was even behind a toilet tells me they don't clean properly

We enjoyed that the hotel room had two different spaces

• King Suite

Signage needs improvement i.e. Rm 322 not included (it exists). Parking at $32/day while same garage area is $18 for self park. Stairs do not lead to ground level.

Efficient check-in and out. Good layout for breakfast and cocktails; a bit crowded on Sat. and Sunday but ok after that. Great location for public transit and nearby restaurants.

• Executive King Suite

Blindsided by difficult underground garage that was $18 extra ($32 for in and out)

Excellent suit soft bed two tvs kerug coffee Free breakfast buffet was huge - everything you can imagine - tops!

• Executive King Suite - Non-Smoking

It was freezing cold in the hotel where you ate breakfast and happy hour. Parking was $18/day and it charged us $54 even though we were there for less than 48 hours.

The complimentary happy hour was a nice bonus! The room was big and comfortable. This was my third time at this hotel and I would definitely go back again!

• Executive King Suite - Non-Smoking

Would like larger Hotel EXIT signs from the parking garage. We kept circling around.

Perfect location, walk across the street and take the Metro into DC or take the free Trolley into Old Town Alexandria with amazing shops and restaurants. We have taken Amtrak train from NY in the past and walked a half block to the hotel. Large common area with nightly free cocktail hour. Great food onsite at Caprese Restaurant and we never miss the delicious made to order omelets at the complimentary buffet breakfast. We park the car and use public transportation to go everywhere. Whole Foods grocery across the street for snacks or picnic supplies. Rooms have kitchen bar with mini frig, coffee and tea, and sink. Separate living room area. Kid friendly. We like to meet family in the common area for snacks and drinks. Staff is knowledgeable and very helpful. Bike Share program on sidewalk in front of property and you can ride bike trail along Potomac. We take the free trolley to the pier for dinner or to board a boat to Georgetown or DC sites. We go to La Tasca for sangria and tapas and Saturday music. Trolley runs every 15 minutes from multiple convenient stops. Be aware brick sidewalks in Old Town are a bit tough with heels, wear flats and be safe.

• Standard Double Suite

The vending machines were not working.

Very clean pool with lifeguard on duty. Lots of choices for breakfast. Separate living and dining area w/ sleep sofa.

• King Suite with Spa Bath - Disability Access

The bed was like a board. Extremely uncomfortable and there was a giant gap between the door and the outside hallway. Also we attempted to check in 3 different times and our room was still not ready at 3:15.

I enjoyed all the complementary drinks, snacks, and breakfast.

• King Suite

Nothing...everything was on point!

The bed was like a cloud. I slept for over 10 hrs. The breakfast was great and the staff was super efficient. The staff who checked me in was friendly and fast. We celebrated my husbands doctoral degree and it was perfect!

• King Suite

Location to old town was great. Free trolley down King street was awesome!! Great room, fantastic breakfast, amazing staff. Will definitely stay again.

• Executive King Suite - Non-Smoking

The hotel's huge, open atrium at the center gave it a loud, cheap, "all-inclusive Mexico vacation" feel, which clashed with the atmosphere of Old Town Alexandria. Except for the man who checked us in, the staff seemed grumpy, irritated. The swimming pool was ice cold, with loud adults making out with each other.

The location was perfect for our needs. It was clean and the bed was comfy. The gentleman who checked us in was welcoming.

• King Suite

Lighting was dingy. Fire alarm went off at 6am. No staff in courtyard to update waiting guests about the situation. Breakfast area was too small to accommodate all the guests.

Easily accessible into the city. Breakfast buffet was decent and had lots of options.

• King Suite with Balcony

We had a very early flight and coffee would have been grand........pretty picky I know but I can't find anything else that you could have provided.

The location to public transportation to D.C. and the general area was fabulous... Staff, breakfast, happy hour, comfort of bed, use of atrium for our large family gathering......... your facility provided a totally grand experience!

• Executive King Suite - Non-Smoking

The mattress on the pull out bed was terrible. It needs to be replaced.

Overall, the accommodations were perfect. Our family enjoyed the breakfast. The staff who maintained the buffet were extremely kind and hard working. They did an excellent job cleaning the buffet stocked and the are clean with all of the traffic coming through. The location to the Metro couldn't have been any better. It was the perfect location with being within walking distance of restaurants, the Metro, and other conveniences.

None announced.

This location was great. I enjoyed every moment of comfort that was given to me by the staff even down to the text messages acquiring about my needs.

• Standard Double Suite

Staff, room above us flooded so they moved us out and locked us out of the room and garage. Garage parking was $32/day. Overpriced and terrible experience.

Very little

• Standard Double Suite

I honestly have no complaints!

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The facitily was clean and offered a complementary breakfast with a variety of food to choose from. We will be going back!

• Standard Double Suite

The beds were too mushy, though the rest of the suite was just right. The worst thing was the hotel tried to charge me more than I had paid through Booking.com. As if the rate I paid had never existed. I showed the confirmation email from you and they honored that price, but something wasn't right in their dealings with you guys.

The location and service were outstanding. Easy metro access to airport and city, and a free shuttle down King St. to Old Town. Never got to take advantage of happy hour (my own fault), but breakfast was great. Superlative.

• King Suite

The bed wasn't extremely comfortable, but it was okay.

The king suite was very clean and comfortable. I loved that it was across the street from the metro. The whole experience was fantastic.

• Standard Double Suite

Carpet dirty, I did feel comfortable in the bed dirty skirting hotel charge to much money for the floor and bed to look like that, great staffs. put some of the money back in the hotel.

• King Suite

There were dirty dishes outside someone's room on the 3rd floor that stayed there overnight until late afternoon. The housekeeper walked right pass them several times. Believe it may be the responsibility of the housemen but nobody came to pick them up for hours. Made hotel look dirty and unkept.

Breakfast is fantastic and Embassy continues to serve an abundance of different things to choose from.

• Standard Double Suite

BOOKING.COM Did not book 2 two out of 3 three rooms...So we had to wait several extra hours to get our rooms...We needed to get in early, and this blew the whole day.....Did not like the hotel adding on another $200 per room for the 3 days...Should have been told this before making reservations.

• King Suite

I think the the rooms need to be updated as they are showing a little wear and tear - not in shabby condition but they are getting a little dated and worn. Parking is expensive (>$35/night) and the parking garage is very confusing to navigate - cramped and difficult to get into and out of parking spaces.

I liked the hotel location, right across from the Metro station and very close to downtown Alexandria, VA. Access to Reagan National via Metro was really easy! The staff were friendly and helpful in answering questions about the hotel and nearby attractions. Having two rooms in the suite is really nice. Very spacious and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

• Executive King Suite

The parking lot itself is a bit challenging due to the numerous columns but it is understandable based upon the design of the structure.

We enjoyed the grill option for breakfast, availability of the pool, and parking access. The room was spacious, very clean, and comfortable.

• King Suite

The bed was haRd and parking is a nightmare. The spaces are too small and I have a small car. Someone hit the back of my car and left no note!

The space is great

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

• Standard Double Suite

The staff wasn't helpful, our room smelled terrible, our room was dirty when we arrived, blood on carpet, the smell was unbearable. The staff d idnt care. Housekeeping cleaned a little better the next day when we asked her too and actually vacuumed but the horrific smell was still in the room. We felt like we were in a motel 6...honestly it was disgusting and I will NEVER stay there again. The staff were all borderline RUDE.

The location.

• King Suite

Always a great stay at the Embassy Suites! Lovely breakfast and fabulous happy hour! Great location. Close to Metro and King St. Trolly. Easy to get to airport by metro or taxi.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

• Standard Double Suite

Nothing good to say about the parking. Tiny stalls, Poor directions on how it worked, Poor directions on getting to main lobby from parking

Great breakfast

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

• King Suite

I only have reservations about the parking. Otherwise it's a winner.

The property and the personnel were fantastic. The price for parking should be lower. The breakfast and the happy hours were great. I love the place.

• Executive King Suite - Non-Smoking

I was a little disappointed that I could not use the hot tub until 5:00 in the afternoon, I would have liked to use it earlier in the day. One day the room had not been made up and we were gone all day and returned at 4:30 and the next day the maid had left our door open. I feel the parking fees are a little high.

The property is a little dated but we loved the location. My husband loved the breakfasts. Overall it was a pleasant stay, we would return.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

• Executive King Suite

I have stayed at this property for many years. I reserved a King Executive Suite - received a normal room. I was told that Booking.com did not reserve a King Executive Suite with Embassy. Also, I canceled a room that the property changed me for that Embassy Suites did not cancel, therefore they charged me the cost of that reservation as a no show causing my account to overdraft. I was with an organization that once arriving the President of that organization paid the room charge on the Organizations card - I was told that they could not release my personal card until I left and that it would take a couple of days before the hold was released. When I asked them about the hold being placed on the new card - I was told they had a hold on both cards and it would remain until I left. I ask for early check in and waited 2 hours - allowed to check in a 2:30 (3 pm is regular time). It appeared that I was treated differently due to the fact that I used a third party to book the property.

I like the location of the property and up until this year been working on my group for everyone to switch and stay there. We are then every May and probably bring over a 100 people.

• Standard Double Suite

Parking a bit expensive as cheaper to pay the garage for overnight at $16 versus the $32 they charge. Same garage

Perfect location Staff was great Check in was a breeze

• Executive King Suite

From the time you walk in the door to the accommodations offered by staff and management...courteous staff, free happy hours, amazing order up and buffet breakfast included in your stay....beautiful hotel, great location, and the rooms and beds are so comfortable....including the upscale pull out couch..so comfortable!

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

• King Suite

Groups of students would gather in the atrium = noise that traveled to all floors.

Complementary breakfast was extensive - made to order eggs, pancakes, variety of fruit, cereals. Managers reception, available every night, included a selection of wine, beer and liquor plus snacks.....very good.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

• Executive King Suite

Unfortunately, I feel like I was a victim of a "bait and switch " with regards to the room that was advertised vs. what the hotel said I had paid for. when I checked in I was informed that the room type on my confirmation was sold out and there was nothing they could do. Trying to contact Booking.com before the start of my meeting was impossible

Good breakfast

• Executive King Suite

Décor Dull - too many kids in a hotel I needed for a business visit - put a warning on the website perhaps - one party of about 60 kids filled the elevators almost non stop for over 5 minutes as the teachers herded them round the lobby and up to their rooms.d

Business visit to a hotel I used to know well - has not changed in 25 years. Starting to look tired. Visit coincided with Spring Break and hundreds of school children which detracted from the atmosphere. Impossible to get breakfast and the 'managers reception' was overrun with kids. Otherwise the facilities were fine and the staff very accommodating. My colleagues stayed in another hotel in Old Town - their views much the same - the older hotels need a refurb.

• Executive King Suite - Non-Smoking

Parking was horrible, the room was dark with little to no natural light, the door lock was busted, and the shower faucet was loose. Don't think I'd stay there again.

The breakfast variety was very good.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

• King Suite

I wish the hours could have been a little longer for us late sleepers.

The food was fresh and hot. The staff made you feel like each customer was special. The omelet station cook was excellent.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

• Executive King Suite

Our room was not ready at 3:00 for check-in. The staff apologized and asked us to sit in the lobby and they would let us know when it was ready. Sadly, they forgot us and it was close to 3:45 when we asked again. It had been ready for some time.

The spacious room. We don't usually go in for happy hour, but we did this time and it was well done. Breakfast was also great.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

• Executive King Suite - Non-Smoking

The free breakfast was ehhh and for almost $300 a night, I at least expected a decent breakfast. The restaurant on premise is also pretty bad...definitely do not waste your money there.

The location, directly across the street from the metro, is key.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

• King Suite

My godson's pop tart was burnt because the lady making breakfast to order left it in the toaster to long. The rotary toaster burnt the sample piece we put in the day before. Horrible parking. Spaces too close together and 30.00 a day is ridiculous!

Breakfast is always great! They need to make a regular toaster available. Bed very comfortable. Location was perfect. Directly across the street from metro station.

• King Suite

The front desk was not that knowledgeable on several things and it took several rings before anyone answered the phone.

The breakfast was excellent and the managers reception was very nice. The business center was also good with several computer stations. Soda vending machines were not plentiful and not located in convenient areas. The metro location is right across the street and there is a free trolley that takes you all the way to the wharf and down King Street with several stops.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

• Executive King Suite - Non-Smoking

Wi,ecan't think of any , great hotel , great visit , everyone was nice & helpful

Everyone was super nice , bartender aweome , Wagner at front door super !love the free breakfast and happy hour , very clean great location for metro & DC touring, free trolley around town nice touch

• Standard Double Suite

That you had to pay for parking and it was hard to park in the Garage. Also my phone couldn't get any reception in the room. At Breakfast the lines were long very slow making omelets my family was almost finished the food before I set down.

The location was excellent !!!

• King Suite

The parking was terrible. The spaces were VERY small and were fit in between support beams. VERY difficult to find a space that we felt comfortable getting into. The floor in the room had some sunflower seed shells on it, but the room otherwise felt clean. Breakfast was very crowded and the lines took a fair amount of time but considering it was included with the room, it was a good deal- the staff though during the crowd was EXCELLENT and friendly !

All of the staff that we had contact with - front desk, breakfast crew, maintenance were all GREAT. They were friendly, cheerful and helpful !! Location to local attractions was awesome.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

• Executive King Suite - Non-Smoking

I booked an executive king suite and when we arrived the hotel told us booking had us in a king other suite. I showed them my confirmation and they said they were sold out so there was nothing they could do. They checked us into a weird room and I went both online and on their site and could still book the room I requested. The hotel did not show as being sold out. The next night we were moved to the right room only for one night and told we had to move again the third night because that room was unavailable. Again I saw many executive king suites showing available. It made my stressful weekend even more stressful. I book suites for the purpose of having space to relax in our downtime when traveling.

Breakfast staff was amazing and helpful. Housekeeping was amazing. Front end could have done better.