Reviews of Embassy Suites Chicago - Downtown 4 stars

600 North State Street, River North, Chicago, IL 60654, USA

#74 of 146 hotels in Chicago

• King Room - Non-Suite

Common areas and hallways starting to show age. It wasn't clear that we were in a small room with no tub. Biggest dissapointment was the direct TV wasn't working to show world cup. Missed several matches.

Great staff. Room was comfortable, if tiny. Breakfast and evening reception were great. Perfect location

• One-Bedroom Double Suite

It's awful to say the cable was horrible for kids. All of the kids shows were on pay per view channels

It was centrally located for the things we wanted to do

• One-Bedroom Double Suite

Having to book at the last minute, went to the most affordable booking but was told I couldn't use my hilton honors number 😒😞

The reception was such a wonderful, relaxing needed gift!

• One-Bedroom King Suite with City View

The ‘living’ room needs updating and a deep cleaning. The bedroom was fine. I was charged fees that had to be adjusted- and they were.

The breakfast was amazing!!! Very kind staff!

• One-Bedroom King Suite with City View

The food was gross. U could tell there were previous guests by the trash can and materials on the floor. It was cold up front. Even though I paid extra for a suite, I couldn't use it because it was too cold up front. It was noisey.

Nothing at all. I pre paid for 3 days. Only stayed 1

• One-Bedroom King Suite

Nothing. I think there is no one considering price, location, and room quality.

All rooms are suits room and very comfortable including location and all equipment.

• King Room - Non-Suite

Breakfast food was totally cold every day. Staff spoke poor English and couldn’t help. Housekeeping woke us up even though we said no service needed at check in. Room really small and shower terrible

• One-Bedroom King Suite with City View

The quality of the breakfast needs some improvement. Many hot items were cold/cool

The free happy hour every night makes me want to return to this hotel when I come back to this city

• One-Bedroom King Suite

No free WiFi in the hotel - having to pay 9.95 dollars per day was not convenient.

The free breakfast was very good with a great selection to choose from and also the free bar at happy hour - amazing. Hotel located in an excellent location central to everything - everything’s within walking distance.

• King Room - Non-Suite

Coffee was too weak and the Live tv offered was very poor quality

Pillows were fantastic, loved that the air heater and cooler were built into the wall, and everything was clean.

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Disability Access

Only issue I didn't like was the heat I could not get it to heat up the room I was cold

The whole hotel was nice breakfast was excellent the bed was very comfortable clean linen room was very clean staff was nice

• One-Bedroom King Suite with City View

lack of free WiFi, charging $10 a day for a basic WiFi connection is definitely too much

spacious, well-equipped suites, good breakfast, complimentary drinks during the reception evenings

No complaints

We arrived by train from Elkhart, IN. We pulled our luggage from the train station and were very pleased to find out we could check in early. Staff were very helpful. Bed was so comfortable after a day of walking. Breakfast was fabulous. After checking out, we were able to leave our luggage until catching our evening train. Would definitely stay again.

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Accessible with Roll in Shower

We pre-ordered a snack to be in the room upon our arrival to celebrate my birthday - it never arrived and I wound up canceling it. There was no hot water in the sink by the little fridge. We could not get all the television channels.

My son really like the breakfast buffet and wandering around the hotel

• One-Bedroom King Suite with City View

Carpet in rooms had some stains and didn't appear clean but wasn't horrible. We just wore our sandles.

Location of hotel is excellent for exploring Chicago, breakfast options are excellent. Staff is friendly even when very busy. The price was very reasonable as it included breakfast.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

Beds were really uncomfortable... and really small for queen sized. Pool area was small and inefficient for the size of the hotel.

The staff was wonderful. Easy check in/out, efficient valet service and wonderful breakfast. Clean, comfortable in a great location for a nice price.

• One-Bedroom King Suite with City View

Swimming pool was small and my teenagers didn't get much swimming in because it was so full all the time and the hot tub was over crowded.

The Breakfast was more then expected. Happy hour was very cool.

• King Room - Non-Suite

Prices in restaurant were very overpriced. Won't be returning there. Got upgraded to 2 queen beds suite..not! 2 double beds at best and we were celebrating our anniversary sleeping in 2 separate beds.

It was a lovely hotel

• One-Bedroom King Suite

We had one uncomfortable moment. We were asked for our room key when getting drinks. The embassy has a sign stating not to take it personal, however we did when the five guest before us were not asked to show their room key. The Embassy should either give out tickets or ask everyone to present their room key when getting drinks. We were only asked once. One too many. Also a sauna would have been nice.

Excellent location. We were able to walk many places. Breakfast was great. Drinks were great too. Staff were very accommodating. Jacuzzi was nice and hot. Rooms were spacious. Bed was very comfortable.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

I was Double Charged with my reservation at check in and it’s taking FOREVER for the hotel and bank to clear everything up! Morgan at the front desk has been very helpful to try and straighten it out.

Breakfast was really good, room/beds felt like home, area was perfect!

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Disability Access

My room was facing a parking lot. Everyone was able to look inside of my room. No privacy. I couldn’t pul the curtains either, they were fixed there.

I loved the free drinks and breakfast. They also had a pool and hot tub.

• One-Bedroom King Suite with City View

Ask to be moved to another Embassy and never got an answer or moved. It was just down the street in Chicago and wanted to stay with the same company! Very disappointed, cost me an xtra $100 in Uber’s.

• One-Bedroom Double Suite

Ms. Receptionist who twice charge me a payment for hotel and two 250 USD deposits that one is still dont return to my credit card. But everything except this are really for 10 points!

Amazing modern hotel in centre of downtown with really fabulous breakfast, WOW! Perfect bed and clean spacious room with all what you need. Wifi was too good.

• One-Bedroom King Suite with City View

The snacks at the manager reception could be better and the extra taxes on the final price threw us off.

We loved the breakfast! We enjoyed the attention to safety by making it necessary to use your key to use the elevator. The room was nice and clean and the atmosphere was awesome! The location was great because everything we needed was in walking distance. Jewel Market, Weber Grill, Starbucks, Coldstone, Rock Bottoms... The list goes on!!

• King Room - Non-Suite

The whirlpool chlorine was heavy everyone who sat in the pool had to remove there self after five minutes due to eye burning. The bathroom was not clean when I first got in.

I have loved this hotel for a decade this is my first time coming to Chicago it was nice the staff was attentive to our needs.

• King Room - Non-Suite

Breakfast couldve been better but it was overall great for the price

Happy hour! My favorite part. The whole facility was pretty, the elevators were fun and the Jacuzzi was amazing.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

Spent night in several different rooms. One of with the cleaners had no idea of cleaning under the bed what contained very interesting items. Hotel free Wifi or even Paid wifi was appalling. Even got charged for one day paid wifi 3 times. The login page for the wifi was not working correctly what might caused the issue. Speed of the network was also not even comparable to a 4G hotspot.

Location of the hotel was nice. Breakfast was okay but on the boring side.

• One-Bedroom Double Suite

There was hair in the tub and crumbs on the floor... but I didn't want to be "THAT" customer. But I figure at $200 a night ... maybe I should have been. And why no other meat alternatives, only pork.

The room was nice... the location was beautiful.... breakfast was ok.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

fantastic location. the room was big and clean and amazing. the breakfast was one of the best i have ever had at a hotel. it was not as noisy as some other reviews might lead you to believe.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

The pool was really crowded (not the hotel's fault!) but ran out of towels on the Holiday weekend and also the liner of the pool on one end was coming off and the water needed to be better maintained.

The WIFI is now complimentary - you just have to get the access code which they give you upon check in. It's not very strong in some parts of your room though The breakfast buffet is first rate - has a ton of food and the made to order omelettes are very tasty. Sure the lines can be long at times, but just get out of bed earlier sleepy head!

• One-Bedroom Double Suite

Let to many people in the pool/hot tub, little kids were running everywhere acting reckless and bad. Parents didnt stop them and hotel staff did nothing. We couldnt even enjoy the pool.

Rooms were nice, beds were comfortable and breakfast was good!

• One-Bedroom Double Suite

The drapes are not black out and we got to see all the lights from outside We recuested a crib and was made of metal, dangerous for an infant, we asked for sheets and these were not available

• One-Bedroom King Suite

Carpet needs attention for room we had.

Great value. Bed is very comfortable. Good location convenient to train station and downtown area. Great complimentary breakfast. Evening reception was nice. Nice size suites.

• King Room - Non-Suite

My room smelled like smoke and had several large red stains on the carpet. The shower head didn't stay adjusted properly for the water to spray on me during showers. The room/furniture appeared old and like it needed to be replaced and freshened up.

The bed and bedding was comfortable.

• One-Bedroom Double Suite

The rooms are dated and feel a bit tight, especially near bathroom and sinks areas. A real closet would be great. A remodel is overdue.

The location, staff and breakfast was very good. Beds were fairly comfy and sheets were good.

• One-Bedroom Double Suite

The front desk lady was not so nice. I understand we all have bad days but we shouldn’t bring it to our place of work.

The location was perfect. The breakfast was good and we loved the swimming pool. Very beautiful hotel.

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Accessible with Roll in Shower

Bathroom needed some work. Soap dish in shower broken. Mirror not clean. No really good place to put our toiletries.

Very nice breakfast. Parking very convenient.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

Everything was great, so the only issue we had was the long lines at breakfast. But the food was amazing, so the long lines were worth it.

The room was extremely clean and we paid a very fair price for the suite we stayed in. Whenever we go back to the city, we'll definitely stay there again!

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Disability Access

The pool, it was freezing and I wasn’t the only one everyone that was in there was commenting on it. I think the staff should go swimming. So cold my legs and feet cramped up that I had to get out.

The room, the hotel, the amazing breakfast best breakfast that we’ve ever had at a hotel

• One-Bedroom Double Suite

Something happened with my billing that I had to get taken care of but it was addressed and resolved immediately.

The bed was comfortable, breakfast was great, and happy hour was a hit! The location was perfect. Close to shopping, food, and entertainment.

• One-Bedroom Double Suite

The only reason I am not giving it a 10 is that the furniture in the room is starting to show some wear and tear.

Staff was extremely friendly and helpful, breakfast was AMAZING, room was very clean and exactly what I expected, and the beds (even the sofa sleeper) were very comfortable.

• One-Bedroom Double Suite

The breakfast was exceptional, the nightly drinks and snacks were a very nice bonus. I was very impressed with the hotel's ability to serve so many guests at once and in such an efficient and pleasant manner.

• One-Bedroom Double Suite

I didn't like how one of the staff members was being rude and harassing my friends about whether they were guest or not. It's a better way in doing everything. You don't have to be rude just to get a simple answer.

Everything was up to par. The bathroom rooms and rooms were clean. Free breakfast is always good. The suite chairs and couch seemed as if they had heating pads on the inside which is a plus. Also close to lots of places to dine and play games.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

The room was a mess the telephone had a sticky substance on it. there was no toliet paper or enough clean towels. very disappointed with our stay.

The happy hour was excellent and so was breakfast

• One-Bedroom King Suite

The sink in the bathroom was stopped up so I called the front desk and they sent the janitor to fix it, he used draino and the water went down, however the sink got stopped up again the next morning. A janitor came again and replaced a part and the sink was good to go from there.

The suite was great, in size setup and comfort. I especially like the tv options available. I watched two movies on HBO, Logan and Fantastic Beast and where to find them (for free). The free breakfast was great. The microwave in the room was a plus.

• One-Bedroom Double Suite

Terrible check in and check out process. On a holiday weekend they should have expected large crowds. No porters were available for an extended period of time to check bags with a queue that grew extensively causing much confusion and traffic jams in the lobby for those trying to enter/exit. Yet there was ample staff to take check-ins even tho there was no queue for that. Staff was oddly cold and short/curt during check in process as well - they seemed annoyed with any question we asked.

Good location and nice bar attached to lobby.

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Disability Access

Bad experience in pool area, someones child peed in the pool the aunt blamed us for telling but it was someone else. She continued to be loud and rude to Embassy staff and my husband and I her cursing around other families and many children left a bad taste. My high waist pants got stolen in pool area where the obnoxious lady was sitting, wrote a complaint and spoke to guest services on why they didn't ask the lady to leave prior he called and had no words or did not resolve. I stayed here many times this is just not right.

Kid friendly, convenience of shops and grocery store nearby.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

It was extremely cold which prevented my kids to swim and for us to relax upon arrival. The staff tried to accommodate us but very old room and we just had to endure until the room was heated (4-6 hours).

The location was perfect and staff was phenomenal.

• King Room - Non-Suite

I would have liked if the girl at the front desk had explained that we needed our room card to operate the elevator.

The breakfast was delicious, pool area clean, comfortable room, easy parking and the parking attendants were superb. My wife and I were very pleased with our overnight experience.

• One-Bedroom Double Suite

The parking was $60 a night! I realize it's our own fault as the hotel is in the heart of the city, but it's really costly and increased the overall amount we paid for the room per night by a considerable amount. I would recommend traveling without a car or looking for alternative cheaper parking options outside the hotel valet parking.

The location is ideal, in the heart of Chicago and only a few blocks from Magnificent Mile and pretty much anything you could possibly desire. The breakfast is amazing and the hotel itself is really gorgeous. I've always had the one bedroom suite with two double beds and the cost is great for the location, size, and spaciousness of the room and hotel in general. I'm a repeat customer as I really love this hotel.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

Not helpful staff, they charged me twice on 2 separate cards for my stay and parking and were not helpful at all when I questioned them. Parking at the hotel was insanely expensive ($60) overnight. I know it’s Chicago but still. The room wasn’t really that impressive, the hotel is old.

Happy hour and breakfast in the morning was nice

• One-Bedroom Double Suite

due to heat and temperature was not adequate. to request a room change

thuite, ccessible s and phsical challenges ver nice ae staffwas ve attentive to m special needs.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

I was very disappointed with housekeeping. Housekeeper came to the door, did a quick knock, didn't say a word. Before we could even get to the door she had already opened it and said she was just giving us clean towels. Thinking she was just going to hand it to us, she then made her way to the bathroom where I was in my towel after just getting out of the shower and said she was going to switch the towels. Rude and unprofessional. I went to the room after being so distraught, shocked and upset. Thinking she was leaving after heading to the door, she then went and grabbed her cleaning supplies and wanted to clean the bathroom. What housekeeper does this while one is in a towel and the other in their underwear and wouldn't leave until it was clean. I have never had this encounter before and I travel often. Upset and my day was ruined. Very unprofessional

Free breakfast and reception hour was wonderful. Bartenders were great. Beds were comfortable and rooms were very spacious

• One-Bedroom Double Suite

No restrictions to pool area for children Children using Gym although they were under 16 Lines for breakfast daily Lines for evening reception - some days we didn't go due to the delays for drinks

Location, cleanliness of suite

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Disability Access

Food. The Hash browns sucked everyday. They were bland and undercooked or cold. Parking. Parking was really expensive. They should offer free parking with the stay or a cheaper option offered.

Pool

• King Room - Non-Suite

I was on 3 floor so Mezzanine [2nd floor] was extremely loud with normal traffic in my opinion. Also, vents in room were like loudspeakers from other rooms, where conversations were easily heard. Otherwise, I think the hotel was great.

Located well in middle of many restaurant choices. I was there for a House of Blues event and that was within easy walking distance. Parking garage heated and great service.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

The hotel amenities were enjoyable, except that the swimming pool and jacuzzi were full of kids screaming. Nobody from the hotel was watching the pool and making sure that each guest can really appreciate his/her time there. The breakfast was quite comprehensive, but some items were sometimes cold.

Our stay was globally positive. The room and the bed were comfortable and clean. The hotel is perfectly located in downtown Chicago: the closest train station is 1 block away.

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Disability Access

They never told me the bottles waters were not complementary and charged me $8 hours later of my checkout .My first from never warmed up after being in there for a hour with the heat in high the second room didn’t get that warm due to ice being in the windowsill and all they could say is would I like for them to send a engineer out “no I’m on vacation not at home” this shouldn’t have been a problem to begin with!

• One-Bedroom King Suite

I wish I could have found a room+parking package. There needs to be more signage in front of the hotel so guests know where exactly the hotel entrance is.

Great location, wonderful staff, great free breakfast. We stayed during the holiday season so the hotel was decorated beautifully.

• One-Bedroom King Suite with City View

Did ask house-keeper to tell an engineer our sink was clogged and slow to drain the whole time we were there. Never fixed, but told the head house-keeper the last day and hopefully, she had someone fix it before the next guest checked in.

Crazy loud breakfast time. Some of the guests were rather rude and loud. Nothing you can do about that.

• One-Bedroom Double Suite

1. Paid water, 2. Paid WIFI and 3. Exorbitant overnight parking rates. Front desk was not very friendly, in spite of giving various requests for the room on the higher floor with city view, they have not entertained our request. They have not given any information about the paid water.

Cozy suite and Cleanliness. Nice Breakfast and cocktail. Housekeeping and Breakfast staff especially chef was very nice and friendly. We really enjoyed complimentary breakfast and cocktails there. It's in a great location, easy walking distance to Michigan St. and other nice restaurants. Hop On and Hop off stop is just a bloc away.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

Hot tub was very small and jets not strong enough to make any bubbles. Also temp of tub was only warm not "hot." Understand and appreciate security measure of key needed for elevator, but sometimes that was a hassle as my daughter and I both had to have our keys with us all the time.

Beautiful Christmas decorations! Attentive and gracious staff! Tremendous breakfasts and Manager's Reception!

• King Room - Non-Suite

The front desk staff could be more friendly and welcoming.

Location was excellent. Easy walk to attractions, restaurants and shopping. Great value with manager's reception (free drinks) and decent complimentary breakfast.

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Disability Access

Our carpet was stained and just nasty. A small scrub brush could have done a good cleaning. Our tub had hairs in it but i always pack my own cleaner anyway.

Breakfast with on order omelettes was amazing. More than just typical boxed cereal and fruit. Such great choices with sausage,bacon, and potatoes. Also different choices each day.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

Rooms are not particularly "swish" , but they are clean and spacious and have everything you need (iron, hair dryer, several outlets and ports to charge devices).

Exactly as described on site- bedroom with additiinal sitting room. Very spacious. Great mini kitchenette (fridge, microwave, sink and ample countertop). Entire staff were wonderful- front desk, luggage room and housekeeping were all extremely helpful and always available. A great place for familes- plenty of room, a pool and free breakfast buffet.

• One-Bedroom Double Suite

Hotel without my knowledge ran my card 6 times. Noise that was not taken care of from room next door starting Thursday going until Sunday. Multiple calls made to desk, nothing done. Including at midnight and 1am. Upon getting into bed after midnight Thursday going into Friday I discovered sheets were dirty. Desk said they would be changed. Came back from being gone all day go to get into bed Friday night still dirty sheets from previous guest. The housekeeper had to come up around 11/11:30 that night to change the sheets. Each time we went to use the pool/hot tub packed with people and children playing in the hot tub even around midnight. Never got to actually use either of them. Double beds, stiff as a board and the pillows were thin. All complaints were given either at desk or called down to desk. Nothing was ever done. Upon checkout the manager told me I should have been offered another room with these problems, it never was and he said well you should have requested to move then. Also told me about my card being ran 6 times and declining, said I should have found elsewhere to stay. Very rude, Israel. The hotel and staff acted as though since I booked through booking I could be treated very poorly and my opinion didn't matter they made that clear several times. All I was given for all of our trouble was 5,000 Hilton points, and one night of parking taken off. That's it. Even having someone else used sheets on my bed didn't phase these people.

I liked the location. The evening social hour was nice. Breakfast was a plus, and worth the wait. The mezzanine was very nice. Loved the Christmas decor as well.

• King Room - Non-Suite

I didn't like the chair that was in the tub you know the one that is for older people.

The room was great. The Lobby was decorated very beautiful for the holidays. My partner really loved it.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

We were charged for water we did not drink - in fact, we left water in the fridge that we had purchased from Osco across the street. I'd never buy a $4 water, nor did I, but I was still charged. I had to call, they removed it, but I definitely felt that they diid not believe we didn't drink it. They even told me it was drank Monday night, yet we never let housekeeping in the entire stay, so I am not sure how they pinpointed it to that time????

Loved the location, the facilities were really nice, and the breakfast was great.

• King Room - Non-Suite

Electricity switches were old and there was electricity leakage. It was dangerous. Needs renovation before someone gets hurt.

Breakfast was delicious. Location was close to redline.

• One-Bedroom Double Suite

I slept like a rock. It was quiet and peaceful. It was decorated beautifully for Christmas. The staff was helpful and pleasant. The breakfast was excellent. You had a hugh variety of food.

• One-Bedroom Double Suite

Wish there was a way to put better insulation on the main entry to each room -- The sound from the mezzanine was really loud, floating up as much as the 9th floor where we were. Earplugs were definitely needed by our daughter, sleeping on the pull-out couch.

Extensive breakfast.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

My floors were not clean, the in room microwave didn't work, the sheets were hard, the cost of in room bottled water should be made much more clear, the bathroom were dated, dingy and a little uncomfortable.

The managers reception was a nice touch and great breakfast.

• One-Bedroom King Suite - Disability Access

The staff is terribly rude. They don't care if you have any issues. It doesn't do any good to call the front desk - they won't help you with anything.

Free breakfast and happy hour

• King Room - Non-Suite

- The shower in a king non-suite is astonishingly claustrophobic, and also impossible to use w/o getting your hair wet (women take note). - The "business center" printer was unable to print PDF (it needs some piddly amount of extra RAM), which basically elminates anything you'd want to print given their setup. - The free breakfast is worth the price .. underwhelming, with not-great omelets. - The smallish pool is frequented by mothers and their diaper-attired babies. We booked this hotel *because* it had a pool, but never used it.

- Helpful and understanding staff. - The ES happy hour (free beer or drink plus snacks) is surprisingly comforting.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

Hotel was in the heart of the city with no insulation/soundproof. Was kept up at night due to hearing the heavy traffic, car horns, sirens ect.

I was over charged for my room 10-14-10-17. The hotel charged their own price instead of honoring booking. Com price. I called booking to refund the difference and I’m still waiting on my money after sending in the required documents.