Reviews of Embassy Suites Newark - Wilmington/South 3 stars

654 South College Avenue, Newark, DE 19713, USA

#9 of 23 hotels in Newark

• Reviewed: 22 October 2018

Necessary stay. Location was key.

Pillows were mush, absolutely awful. Furniture in living area was stained and hard as a rock couldn't enjoy the large tv in that room. Pool upkeep was poor Breakfast was not appetizing.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

Although it is it nice .

Breakfast could of been better and cleaner room .... there was hair in the toilet before I got there and the tub wasn’t completely clean.

Although it is it nice .... don’t let this photos fool you ... there’s a picture that shows like a garden area which isn’t true that’s a fake picture. Wasn’t a bad hotel but don’t upload images that aren’t part of the hotel... misleading

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

Summer Get a wa

I wish that the Jacuzzi tub was working well but not a big problem.

The breakfast and the service was EXCELLENT.The evening barmaid she was so friendly.The room was very clean and spacious.The room service came everyday.

A nice weekend get-away.

Our room could have been cleaner. We stayed 2 nights and there was no housekeeping for our room while we were out for the day. The beds did not get made and the bathroom wasn't cleaned (we left the towels for them to pick up, but they didn't).The ice machine on our floor was not operational. We spoke with the front desk about both issues- they acknowledged our concerns and said they would speak with the company contracted for housekeeping.

The suite was nicely decorated and was comfortable. We were placed in a quiet section of the hotel - there were several larger events going on, and we didn't even notice them. The hosted reception and the breakfasts were very well done and staffed appropriately. Food was good!

Relaxing days off.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

The pool and Jacuzzi was great.The breakfast was excellent.The evening drinks. were great.The bartender was very professional and friendly.The beds were very comfortable.The staff was very friendly.

That there was TGIF connected to the hotel.The swimming pool and Jacuzzi was a bonus.The breakfast made to order about the omelets.

Good hotel would stay again.

The smell of weed in bathroom and outside my door from young kids in room next door. I should have complained I was told.

The design of the room, being able to shut the door of the bedroom.

Hairy comforter

The property was very nice. I was not happy that my comforter and sheets had a lot of hair on it. When i told front desk they sent someone with sheets .i told him about comforter he got me a new one also,but tried putting on my bed with the dirty sheets. I told him i wanted them changed because they were dirty and grossed me out. He told me he had to leave and go downstairs. I should not have to make my own bed. When i am a paying guest. Other than that i had a nice stay.

Not a bad option when visiting Newark for business but the value to price ratio was not the best.

The atmosphere was not up to the same standard as for the Embassy Suites in our hometown where the central area is full of plants and nicely appointed. This hotel felt a bit sterile and unappointed. Our Embassy suites has a highly rated steak house restaurant. This one has an attached TGI Friday restaurant; our international colleagues who stayed there with us were exceedingly unimpressed by that dining option. My comfort rating is lower than expected because, when I needed to get ready in a short time in the morning for meetings, I realized there was no hairdryer provided, and the safe was locked (i.e. unusable) at the time. Once I told the reception, the problems were remedied, but not after I had to take my valuables along, and not wash my hair.

The rooms were clean and spacious and the beds comfortable. The location within Newark is very convenient. Staff was friendly. Breakfast was okay.

The bed was very comfortable and had a good night rest.
    • Executive King Suite - Non-Smoking

The television in the living space couldn't keep connection, was very hard for us to watch t.v. Also, the shower was not very warm, could not shower for too long.

The bed was very comfortable and had a good night rest. The lighting in the bathroom was well lit.

Perfect!

The hotel room was very clean and set up very nicely. The bed and sheets were probably the best I’ve ever experienced at a hotel. It was just an all around great experience.

My visits was very nice.

Booking.com did not forward the proper confirmation needed to book my room. I received a confirmation number however the hotel did not receive anything from booking.com. The manager was very helpful and secured me a room at a comparable price. Also the restaurant near the hotel (TGIF) was awful in every possible way.

I really like the cocktail hour and free breakfast. The customer service was great. And the manager on duty was very helpful during check in.

....

The communication between staff was very poor. I waited almost 35 mins for more towels and wash clothes. I had to go down to the front desk to get them.

The beds were very comfortable. Food was very good and they had plenty.

It was ok, needs improvement.
    • Executive King Suite - Non-Smoking

The bed wasn't as comfortable as I thought it was going to be, there was no eating utensils in the unit, the lamp in our room would shut on and off, the wifi was very slow, and I missed breakfast because it was too early in the morning 6:30am-9:30am ?!

Very comfortable and relaxing

The in room coffee maker. It is great for hot tea, but those models just don't produce a good cup of coffee. lol

Staff was all very nice. Breakfast was better quality than most hotels that include breakfast, and the coffee was good. We also enjoyed the happy hour that was included. What a nice surprise. Very clean. A little pricey, but not out of the ordinary. Prefer to pay for the quality.

Very convenient for what I was looking for

House keeper took all dirty towels and wash cloths but didn't replace them.

The breakfast buffet was great. The staff there really takes proud in the quality of work the offer

Not so good stay!

I booked this property based on them having a pool and hot tub and when arriving the pool was dirty and hot tub wasn't working and remained that way the 3 days I was there and when I told the guy at the counter he just kinda shrugged his shoulders n could care less

Nice location and nice lobby

Perfect hotel for all.

The wifi was weak

We loved this hotel. The room was clean and the layout was perfect for us traveling with kids. The living are with an extra tv made us very happy. The reception in the evening was so nice and we also enjoyed breakfast. We also ordered from Chilis which is right next door. We had a great experience

The experience was incredibly pleasant.

The night staff at the desk, especially when I was given the wrong room.

The experience was incredibly pleasant. Very nice breakfast and reception. Very spirited for UD graduation.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

after hours check in

Had to pay FULL price when I checked in at 9p.m. and had to leave by noon(?).. I thought I would at least get a discount after 6 nope paid full price

kids love the pool

• Reviewed: 7 April 2017

Overall, this is a very nice hotel. I'd stay here again.

The hotel mgmt could have had a better handle on the boys hockey team that ran throughout the hotel. They were loud and inconsiderate of the rest of the guests.

I enjoyed the free evening cocktail and refreshments, the made to order breakfast, and the spacious room. The bathroom was clean and newly renovated.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

Very nice hotel, however it is very large so it can get loud at night amenities isn't very relaxing

1) The pool was overrun for most of our stay by 'local residents from the Newark area' who were at pool for a weekend 'birthday party". The majority of these 'guests' were not actually staying at the hotel. Brought this to the attention of the staff, they said there wasn't much they could do about it. It really spoiled our stay as I specifically booked this hotel over the others because of pool AND whirlpool. In the future I will reserve rooms at the other Hotel in Newark that has these amenities to avoid this problem in the future. 2) There was a large party/prom of some sort on Sat into wee hours Sun morning. This was a top of the line event for these young adults and and very festive. Was nice to see such excitement and whatnot BUT the sound was enough to keep us up and we were on the 16th floor, the very top floor. We slept great Friday though!

- The made to order breakfast was great. - Rooms are very nice, clean and - housekeeping staff were great - The front desk personnel were all very helpful (the pool thing being the only problem) - Had a vacation feel to the premises

Birthday Party!

The wifi didn't work like that could have been better. And one of the elevators wasn't working.

The bed was so comfortable!! My room was nice and clean and the staff was excellent.

Wonderful Hotel

Noticed two dirty wash clothes hanging from shower when I went to take a bath. Two female employees at front desk were very mean & standoffish.

Beautiful atmosphere, comfy stay. Awesome happy hour & breakfast.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

I really loved how the hotel looked.

The rooms were not as clean as they should have been. I had to change rooms 2 times before settling into a room and still having a problem. The first room had a dirty blanket on top with cat or dog hair. The second room had a dirty bathroom. Dark stains in the tub and on the floor. The third room was ok, but had a ring around the tub and stains in the bathtub. When I was about to go to sleep, I pulled back the covers to find a large yellow stain in the middle of the bed. Looked like a urine stain. I asked to get my sheets changed and no one ever came. I finally went down myself and the man on duty helped me.

I really loved how the hotel looked. It was beautiful and lavish. I really liked that all of the rooms could overlook the center. Very beautiful at first sight.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Comfortable but expensive and financially unclear!

We were charged twice for the same thing and I have to figure it now how much we finally paid. Different staff members told us different things. They charged on my room my colleague's card without giving a notice because the card that I reserved with did not have enough money, and they did not ask me for another card, just used the one they had!!! The financial procedures are very unclear!! Be careful!

It is a quite comfortable hotel with a living room and a bedroom. There are nice breakfasts there and a coffee machine in the room.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

Awesome stay. I wish I couls get a free weekend stay

I liked everythin

• Reviewed: 30 September 2018

Atmosphere very nice

The elevators may too much and always like they were breaking down

Atmosphere very nice

Great Stay - Highly recommended

Stay at the Embassy Suites was great! They had a great breakfast spread and complimentary beverages and snacks in the evening. The rooms were good

Excellent Breakfast

Excellent Breakfast

Location and modern

Location and modern

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

The breakfast.

The front desk staff needs more training.

The breakfast..

Delaware

Delaware

Connected to TGIF Friday
    • King Room - Disability Access - Non-Smoking with Bathtub

Hard to locate

Connected to TGIF Friday

Very disappointing

Price, musty smell, uncomfortable bed and pillows

Horrible - slept on couch

assigned disabled person's room. later moved to king bed room, I booked queen bed room.i had to sleep on couch!

Spacious.

Spacious. Comfortable. Great breakfast.

Go-to place to stay in Newark

Bathroom fan comes on when light turns on. Can it be separate? Annoying sound.

It is an amazing place to come to for relaxation

Excellent service

Kids running around late night

Kids running around late night

Worth the price

Everything, especially the breakfast in morning was pretty good.

I was bite and got a rash

Will definitely stay here if I'm back in the area!

Happy hour and breakfast were wonderful!

staff was not friendly

staff was not friendly

Awesome hotel ! Best I've stayed in ever !

Everything !

Rooms, buffet and staff

Rooms, buffet and staff

Met our purpose

Tv had very poor reception and the bed & sofa were a little on the hard side

It was clean and comfortable and centrally located for our purpose

Contemporary, open floor plan.

There was nothing I didn't like.

Contemporary, open floor plan. Easy access to elevator and rooms from all entrances. Breakfast was awesome.

well located , 1 mile from highway near to newark

roomservice!

My stay was comfortable and enjoyable 😊👌

I could not stay longer

The bed and the pillows were very comfortable

Hotel was decent but kids ran wild

The staff did nothing about my complaint of kids knocking on my door and running

The bed was comfortable

Free Happy hours very nice!

Free Happy hours very nice!

No coffee pot in my room.

No coffee pot in my room. No coffee in lobby after 9:30 am. Was given a handicapped room where I cant stand the showers!

Very clean, friendly staff, great breakfast.

Very clean, friendly staff, great breakfast. Very convenient off 95.

One of the BEST

I truly loved everything

Everything especially the hospitality

Love

The breakfast

The rooms

Doesn't live up to the hipe

The power went out and did not hear anything from hotel or staff very frightening for my family.

The. Breakfast and very clean

The host at the front desk he was very friendly thanks

The host at the front desk he was very friendly thanks

Close to sports complex

Restaurant attached

Close to sports complex

loved it

not one thing

beautiful enviroment, quiet well maintained

Wouldn't stay here again

Dirty bathroom and floors

Size of room

Sweet 16 party stay
    • Executive King Suite - Non-Smoking

The service was excellent and the staff helped make my daughters sweet 16 party special and easy!!!!!

Great breakfast buffet

Great breakfast buffet

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

The omelet chef was great!
    • King Room - Disability Access - Non-Smoking with Bathtub

The event taking place was noisy.

The omelet chef was great!

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

How luxury was perceived 30 years ago

Cleanliness could be improved, breakfast is free but mediocre, the side facing the highway is too noisy

Rooms are big

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

The rooms were stellar

Staff was not inviting. Front counter

The rooms were stellar

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

Feeling 🙂

The pull out couch was all springs

The bed was comfy

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

Guest room in Delaware
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

I ordered cook to order eggs in the morning they were not cooked to perfection tasted greasy and cold

It was located nearby to my son's house

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

Awesomely pleased 👍👍👍

The complimentary breakfast was amazing !!!!!

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

room suite

room suite

• Reviewed: 10 May 2016

Omelettes were awesome!

The refrigerator in our suite did not get very cold. One of the elevators weren't working, so guests had longer wait times.

Omelettes were awesome! Suite decor was nice.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2016

Free cocktail hr and breakfast buffet

No clean towels for pool, told to use my bath towels. .. unruly, unsupervised kids running wild all hrs. Someone threw up un pool both at night and in the morning so it ruined our purpose for being there to allow our children to swim. Wasn't told that we could use the hotel next doors pool until 30 mins prior to check out..

Free cocktail hr and breakfast buffet

• Reviewed: 21 February 2016

Breakfast good and plentiful.

Bed and pillows too soft, no support. Felt every move from other side. Woke with back problems. Room design too modern, square and unwelcoming for my taste.

Breakfast good and plentiful.room was clean. Staff were pleasant.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2016

The eggs were fluffy however I couldn't eat them so I...

We enjoyed everything.

The eggs were fluffy however I couldn't eat them so I watched while other families ejoyed breakfast. Customer service was very good. The rooms were comfortable.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2015

We loved the spacious comfortable room,the cleanliness , the...

We loved the spacious comfortable room,the cleanliness , the breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres !!! The hotel is simply beautiful! We didn't want to leave !!!

• Reviewed: 8 December 2015

The rooms were very nice.

At the evening event, the bartender was taking care of the bar and the food. The food was often empty. She did a great job but it was hard to do it all.

The rooms were very nice. Beds were comfortable. The breakfast and evening complementary time was great.

There are also 72 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.