Reviews of The Emily Morgan Hotel - A DoubleTree by Hilton 4 stars

705 East Houston Street, San Antonio, TX 78205, USA

#58 of 301 hotels in San Antonio

Soda machine seemed to be out of service on every floor but the 9th floor for 3 days.

Very unique romantic room and the location is great for the activities we had planned. Also like that self park is a viable option even though we valet parked. Concienge (not sure of spelling) was very friendly and helpful.

The staff members were the very best. We felt welcomed from the 1st moment, until we checked out; just like family. The hotel is beautiful and historic, steps away from everything. Fabulous place to stay.

Would have liked it if we could have had a shuttle available to some places around town. Because we didn’t know the area. I know the bus stops but didn’t know the routes with only a short stay didn’t have time to figure them out.

The bed was very comfortable!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Hearing Accessible

The front desk accidentally gave us the wrong room number so we did spend about 10 minutes trying to get into the wrong room until maintenance helped us out.

Great hotel in a wonderful location. Everything you need is within walking distance.

We were scammed when we parked in the surface lot next to the hotel. I paid cash to a person posing as a parking attendant, when the lot actually has no need for an attendant. The hotel was kind enough to comp our first night for the valet. I agree with some of the others that the valet is expensive, plus they expect tips on top of that.

Every staff person we encountered was helpful and happy. My friend started to choke while eating in the restaurant and a staff person came right over to assist. She recovered herself but we felt confident that this person, being a professional in the dining area, probably knew the maneuver that could have helped her if she needed it. And by the way the food in the restaurant was very good.

I am not sure if this was an uncommon experience but we had a hard time checking in. First I got the day before our stay saying they needed a valid card (which I had) or our room would be released that night, which was not actual reservation. So I had to call the location and confirm our room was indeed reserved. When we arrived, they had a hard time finalizing everything. One computer went down in the middle of our transaction. I ended up being charged twice for everything. The frustration ended up being worth the visit.

The location was perfect for our needs. Right in downtown by the Alamo! Hotel is very lovely. Very clean. Room was quaint. Staff very friendly. Would definitely stay again.

• Queen Room with Alamo View

The plugs in the room didn’t really work that well but we were able to charge our phone with the USB port on the alarm clock.

Happy hour drinks are great price and tasty!!

That we had to leave so soon.

Everything, the hotel was beautiful, the room was spacious, bathroom was gorgeous with a huge bathtub. Cleaner than most places we stayed. Rooms were quiet, no outside noise. Bed was very comfortable. The view was awesome and the food was great. The best thing was the staff, from the valet, concierge, front desk, restaurant staff and managers, they were all awesome, helpful and gracious. Pet lovers this place is a must. They let us take our dog into the restaurant and sit with us. Of course he is only 10 pounds, but that meant a lot. Also location is perfect along with the price.

• King Room with Bath Tub - Hearing Access/Non-Smoking

Can’t think of one thing!!!!’

Very friendly staff, good food, comfy bed, very quiet hotel! Location was everything! Across the street from the Alamo and around the corner to all your buses to take you everywhere!

Wi fi not user friendly

There was a problem with the parking valet I gave him my ticket he was supposed to give me my keys and he left and no one knew where he was the other complaint I have is the Wi-Fi was not user-friendly nor did the staff try to really help me with it that is kind of blew me off so I use my hotspot other than that everything was great e xceeded the expectations for the money

The pillows and bed were EXTREMELY comfortable. The hotel was very clean and had extremely generous and helpful staff. The location was perfect and well.

• Queen Room with Alamo View

No Fridge in room. Fix the AC in#407. Need to have complementary coffee in Lobby. The coffee and the coffee maker in the room sucks.

Location. History of the Hotel. Pictures in Lobby. Bed was comfy.

No comment

We love the beauty of the historical hotel, and no we didn't hear anything ghost moving around. They must have had the two nights that we were there off. We had are breakfast there both mornings, and one evening after taking in the sites in the area we were exhausted. Everyone was helpful, and both Ashley and Ashlee were very observant to needs for our meals. Yes, we would stay here again..Thank you Jena and Savannah at front desk.

if I’m going to spend 300 per night I expect free parking, enjoyed the stay but will not be staying there in the near future due to parking.

Cosy Room and good area.

they did not provide parking that was reasonable. There was no breakfast. There was no refrigerator. The hotel was old but had been changed and modernized but not pretty. I would have preferred that they would have upgraded but kept the old look.

they did not provide breakfast

• King Room with Bath Tub - Hearing Access/Non-Smoking

Suggestions: remove rugs or replace with a safe one under the coffee table. We watched people trip a few times. Signage: slippery surface for bottom of pool. Rubber mat for tub in accessible (handicap) room. Expand workout area if possible; add lighter weights for beginning trainers.

The wait staff, people at the desk and doors, and managers genuinely were accommodating and friendly. Hotel employees informative, asked repeatedly if we needed anything. Rooms, bar, and lobby seating were modern and comfortable. Location is ideal for restaurants, the Alamo, Riverwalk, and small shops.

The elevators were not in working service, was forced to take 5 flights of stairs multiple times. It took 35 minutes to valet my truck, then another 20 to get luggage up because of elevators. Was also almost charged for two nights of valet, was told it was a clerical error or their part and they adjusted.

The room was clean, and comfortable. Nice views from the room as well.

Room had only 2 bath towels and the toilet and vent needed to be cleaned. Housekeeping came as late as 4:45 PM. Otherwise everything was great. Restaurant had good food and reasonably priced (by comparison to local restaurants)

Perfect location for sights and transportation

The historical significance was impressive. Location and cleanliness was great but the most exceptional aspect of our stay was the incredible service we had. Never have we been treated as well!!

elevators were very slow during peak times with one elevator not working.

The concierge was super friendly and provided us service beyond what was expected. I forget his name but we traveled from 3/17 thru 3/20.

• Queen Room with Alamo View

Some elevator repair issues caused the trip up and down to take a bit longer as you either had to walk many flights of stairs or wait for 1 of 2 working elevators. The issue was fixed the following day after we checked in.

Staff was courteous, polite, helpful and full of recommendations. Housekeeping went above and beyond also!

Was a great hotel except for only ONE working elevator and having to stand in line to go up and also to go down. This is a ridiculous circumstance for such a high caliber facility and not acceptable.

The location is outstanding. Love the history and charm of this hotel. We also enjoyed the resturant numerous times.

1-Elevators were slow and often stopped at floors where no one was waiting; therefore, further delaying your transit time. 2-No free breakfast :( 3-Parking was HORRENDOUS. We arrived about 6pm, checked in, paid $20 for parking a couple of blocks away and would expire at 2am. We moved closer and paid $20 MORE to have a spot until 9am. Hotel valet was $40 so that would not have saved any money whatsoever.

Great location and great views from 12th floor

The vending machines were scattered throughout the floors and didn't accept cash.i would suggest that when someone books a room add place to put it's for a special occasion. This was my anniversary weekend. Maybe add a small souvenir shop.

The bed was great. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. They gave us a free breakfast when I told them it's my anniversary weekend.

The room was awkward beds uncomfortable, very hot! The old appliance and electrical outlets shorting out. I just could never stay here again. So so uncomfortable.

The location I Alamo, river walk, and other attractions was great. Super close walk to everything.

• Deluxe King Room with Garden Tub

Our tub was a jacuzzi tub but it wasn’t functioning properly, however the soak was nice nonetheless.

Great space, wonderful views, centrally located, clean rooms, amazing staff

The staff was so welcoming & helpful. The hotel was experiencing some mechanical problems with the elevators & A/C, but it is an old building and things sometimes just happen. I would definitely stay here again.

Housekeeping visited the room every day, but did not one clear away dirty coffee cups, used glasses etc. Bed was only partially made, bathroom was not cleaned and half way through my stay, some change left on the desk was taken as a tip with a note saying thank you! When mentioned at the front desk, I was offered a free drink at the bar. 3 out of 4 lifts were broken (NB NOT haunted!) for most of my stay.

Lovely building, great location, could be superb if run properly.

The elevator was broken while we were there. We heard that since it is an old hotel, it always has the problem of the electrical problem.

The location of this hotel is great. The services in the hotel is also great.

I saw the largest cockroach I have ever seen in the bathroom first thing in the morning! That monster was coming towards me, so I threw a towel at it. It hid behind the bathroom cabinet. I could not shower knowing it was in the bathroom, so I hurried to pack my things and check out. I didn't have my morning coffee. When I informed the front desk staff, she said "oh sorry, it must have come in because of the humidity outside". We were on the 4th floor. Not enough front desk staff. Check ins and check outs took a very long time!

staff very friendly polite, and helpful.

• King Room with Bath Tub - Hearing Access/Non-Smoking

I thought the room was a little too small but overall very good.

I liked the location, very close to the riverwalk, right infront of the Alamo. The staff was very kind and nice. Very good hotel.

• Queen Room with Alamo View

Not enough about the history of the building involved with the building. Would have loved a heads up that we wouldn't get the room we chose because they needed more beds for a volleyball group. My daughter had to sleep on the floor and they didn't send more blankets when i asked. So she got the blankets and we shared one sheet. I sent my daughter the second night to my aunt's house. They did take a whopping 50 bucks off. Had i known ahead of time we would have found another hotel. My husband was too tired when we arrived or we would have just found another one right away. So dissapointed. And it was my husband's bday weekend.

The staff was awesome. Atmosphere was warm and welcoming. The building itself is gorgeous. Cookies were good.

• Deluxe King Room with Garden Tub

Husband went downstairs several times to walk, get a coffee and then a hot cookie. Twice, security person asked him if he was a guest, like he was someone who had come off the street, in a condescending way. It was very cold, he had on a jacket and knitted hat, but definitely did not look like a bum. If it weren’t that we’ve been here numerous times, we would have been really put off.

Room was gorgeous, spa tub fantastic, check in as fast and easy, staff was friendly.

When we arrived in our room the heat hadn't been turned on and maintenance had to come with a ladder to turn a switch on that was located in the cealing. Normally in Texas this isn't an issue but this year in December we were experiencing some unusual low temps. Every outlet in the room wouldn't hold an electrical device. We couldn't charge our phones because we couldn't get a connection. I had to literally hold the blowdryer plug in the outlet while trying to dry my hair. The room was very tiny and one of us had to get on the bed for the other person to pass by. The safe in the room didn't work.

The staff was great! Very accommodating and helpful. Savannah from the front desk sent a text message everyday asking how our stay was going. Beautiful street appeal.

Room was a little cold (it's been cold in SA this week)

General Manager was excellent, Emy Rose was outstanding, and all the staff were excellent to us

• Queen Room with Alamo View

First night we woke up to a infestation of ants. 5yo got bit and in dad’s wheelchair. Took facilities over 20min to get to room by that time I was already downstairs requesting another room and the family that was still in room said that facilities basically blamed us for having food in the room. Most of it was vacuumed sealed that was purchased before we got to the hotel. Didn’t have food just laying around. After talking to the manager they moved us rooms. Next night we ordered pizza and no ants in room that morning. Only one to two elevators worked the whole stay. Travel time to and from room took a long time. The service elevator being one of the two that worked so staff also needed to use them.

Beds were comfortable. Bar in lobby had amazing drinks and bartender was knowledgeable about all of the drinks. Had good recommendations. It was very convenient for in and out quick drinks or to sit and hangout.

Bathroom shower was broken, water could never get hot. Ac could not cook the room below 75, even had a house keeper try to help, bathroom had hair in the sink, toilet paper roll holder was broken, toilet was dirty.

Comfy bed. Historic appeal to building, great location.

We have stayed at the Emily Morgan in the past. Unfortuantely it is looking a little tired and rooms need updating. The bedside lighting in our room didn't work. We were only there for one night and arrived late, so this was not mentioned to the management.

Location is great, just a minute walk from the Alamo and the Riverwalk.

Restaurant was so slow. The buffet ran out of food. The chair near the computers was not stable and pinched my fingers. The room ceiling was peeling.

Close to the Alamo. Room was large. Area was quiet. Not far from Riverwalk. Nice staff.

• Deluxe King Room with Garden Tub

Was a little on the expensive side but this was balanced out by the elegance and convenient location

Best location in San Antonio - we were directly across the road from the Alamo and a 2 minute walk to the Riverwalk. The hotel was elegant and the bar was a great place for a happy hour margarita (or two!)

• Junior Suite with Spa Bath

Spa tub air jets can turn on for no reason even without water present, Pool area needs a makeover, Bed just ok

Fabulous Location, room was extremely comfortable for multiple night stay, maid service non-intrusive, good food at hotel, great staff

• Deluxe King Room with Garden Tub

Jacuzzi style bath non-operational. Attempts to fix failed. Told complementary breakfast vouchers would be under door to compensate. Never happened.this was a honeymoon gift for friends. Deliver what you promise.

View of the Alamo and courtesy of staff

We had valet service. Someone smoked in or around our suv. We smelled it all the way home. We do not smoke so it was very unpleasant. Made us sick! Thanks a lot!

Could of been better for the price.meals that is.

• Queen Room with Alamo View

Door to the bathroom is rolling door and have very small handle. No fridge.

Nice room, good design, clean and close to Alamo. Has blackout curtains. 2 soft beds and water and tea and coffe in the room.

• King Room with Bath Tub - Hearing Access/Non-Smoking

There really isn't much parking but there is a great valet device to make up for it 👍

Love the old historic building. Staff is so friendly and accommodating. I even got a text from them to see if there was anything I needed during my stay. Warm cookies and refreshing fruit water in lobby. You couldn't ask for a nicer friendlier staff. Amazing location walking distance to everything you need. Alamo next door tons of great shops and restaurants, plus the convention center isn't far nor is the river walk.

Nothing!! It was 100% on every scale!

It's a beautiful hotel! The staff was consistently friendly and helpful!! They went above and beyond to make our stay perfect!

• Queen Room with Alamo View

The room was large but could use a few small repairs. The AC was a bit loud and the room was freezing cold and we could not control the thermostat. The bed and pillows were comfy. The TV was small for the room. It had great proximity to Alamo and riverwalk.

A bit of construction going on at the front of the hotel.

This is a great location for tourism. It is directly across the street from the Alamo and a short walk to the Riverwalk. Just what we were looking for.

Would of liked the room to be more spacious and wouldn't of mind having a mini fridge in there

Everyone was very welcoming and helpful the bartender was great good drinks great food great location and valet was always on top of things and had my car ready in time

Room was a little warm all night. Turned the AC down low but i was still warm. Pillows were a tad uncomfortable. No breakfast included in the price of the stay. Parking was a little hard to figure out as there are no signs or notice upon booking where we can park or where to go for valet.

I loved the staff. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating. Blanket was amazing. Black out curtains were perfect. Yummy cookie upon arrival. The location is right next to the Alamo and lots of museums. Tons of fun stuff walking distance as well as the riverwalk just moments away.

Staff on the whole did their jobs ... but barely and with little grace. NO parking. Exhorbitant valet parking charges or a hike to private parking lots that charge upwards of $30/day. During three day stay pool was closed for all but one and out of three elevators including service elevator only one was working ... leading to interminable waits and sardin can conditions should you be able to get on the working one. The power outlets in the desk and bedside table lights are so badly worn that they simply can't charge up a phone. The only socket working was in the bathroom. Twice I had to request towels after housekeeping had been and gone.

Convenient location.

There was only 1 working elevator. It took us over 20 minutes to get from the 4th floor to the ground floor. There was no way to get to the ground floor through the stairs.

Room 414 had a great view, as we had an end room.

The valet was $39, and the surrounding surface lots were ~$20/8 hrs. One of the 3 elevators was broken so wait times to get in and out of rooms were 5-10 minutes.

The place was easy to get to and the staff were very accommodating and friendly. The views of the Alamo were great.

On one occasion we waited over 40 minutes for our vehicle from valet. We called twice to the desk and then finally spoke to the concierge.

Friendly staff, great location.

- "Free" wifi is a bit of a hassle to access

+ Super comfy bed. + Could see the Alamo from our window + Excellent breakfast and lunch at hotel restaurant + 24 hour staff person available/security

Parking by valet only, ridiculous daily rate for parking, find other overnight parking nearby Cold shower in the morning with low water pressure.

The bathroom was terrible just a sliding glass door right beside the bed very tight room for two queen beds there is no parking if you want to park close you will have to pay $30 8 hr

nice view from window

Parking. But I understand it! The valet was great though costly.em

Didn't get a chance to eat breakfast. I was on a tight schedule, had to be in another city that morning! We left the posh comfort of the hotel with remorse. We'd love to go there again and this time have breakfast if we can afford it!

• Queen Room with Alamo View

The fact we had to pay a lot more than wAs first shown on booking.com I was quoted same rate for two persons as one. Also I was charged a lot more than £140 per room !!!!!

I loved everything.

I loved the room. It was very clean spacious, beautiful view of the Alamo and Hemisfair. The staff was very friendly. Both restaurant and bar were great too. Great location, just steps away from the river walk, restaurants and bars.

• Queen Room with Alamo View

Well my wife booked this hotel for the weekend for my birthday(7/16) My daughter had a great time at pool and like the view. But on 7/15 there was a fire alarm and everyone had to evacuate the building around 3:45 a.m. Fire trucks cane and it was a false alarm. It took awhile for everyone to go up in elevator and get to their room. Then we couldn't get back to sleep. Overall great time but on my birthday weekend! We came from Columbus Texas.

View was nice and staff were helpful and friendly.

The rooms were moldy, they lacked good ventilation, and no refrigerators mini of course. The restaurant staff was minimal, the breakfast buffet was pretty generic nothing special. Then when ordering separate pancakes taste like flour. Chef/cook needs more assistance or a different chef/cook.

The history and building was unique. It was close to the Alamo.

Car parking charge of $39.00 per day was ridiculous. We were not notified of this till we checked in. Each time we called for the car from the room, there was a 5-15 minute wait in the lobby. Reception staff was not very accommodating.

Good pillows. Room was clean.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Hearing Accessible

I did not like that I paid as much or more for the room through Booking.com than if I had simply called the hotel. I thought I was getting a better price.

The room was very comfortable and super quiet.

• Junior Suite with Spa Bath

The only negative to our stay was a 3am evacuation as the result of some moron wandering into the kitchen and setting off the fire suppression system. I cannot hold that against the hotel as they followed their procedures.

The bed was extremely comfortable. And the Olympic size bath tub was amazing!!! We were in a suite so that may not be representative of every room. Another stand out thing that occurred was that I had un knowingly left $120 cash in my car when I left it with the valet. Within minutes of returning to my room the valet knocks on the door and presents me with the money. Much appreciated homesty!!!

• Queen Room with Alamo View

Someone pulled the fire alarm at 3:30 in the morning in the restaurant kitchen. Later that morning, because the kitchen was closed, the wait staff setup a continental breakfast for the guests and still waited on all guests

• Queen Room with Alamo View

They have down feathered pillows and those tend to hurt my head after awhile. Should've brought my own pillow. The ac system in our hotel room was set down all the way to 68 degrees Fahrenheit on high just to get room temperature (72 degrees). The sliding doors into our bathroom did not lock. Anyone could walk in while your showering.

I liked the location of the hotel; right next to the Alamo and near everything downtown. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. One of the only hotels were you can still find two queen size beds in a room. The valet is a time saver. I didn't have to drive all throughout the city to look for parking which will cost me the same, if not more, per day than valet at the hotel.

The fire alarm was pulled at 3:30 am. The staff never told anyone what was going on as we all stood in the parking lot. No apology was issued. Our bathtub drain was full and water pulled around your feet as you showered. Our room was the size of a dime. There was literally no room for the suitcase.

The bed was comfortable.

• Junior Suite with Spa Bath

Asked for a simple not to wish happy birthday and wasn't there. Was relocated and given a breakfast voucher for it which we couldn't use because they were giving everyone a free breakfast for an event of someone pulling the fire alarm at 3 in the morning. People in there hall were yelling at each other and throwing stuff in the middle of the night. Wasn't given silverware during breakfast.

• King Room with Sofa Bed

My personal belongings not being protected by the property that I paid for service at.

Someone on the hospitality staff stole my Gold Fossil watch, reported it to the staff and it was as if there was not a care about my personal belongings.

The only thing that sucked was the wall plugs were too wide and anything you plugged in fell out if you tugged a little on the charger.

It was at a great location that made it super easy to get were you wanted downtown. The staff was also super friendly and great at helping out.

Need some umbrella's at the pool or a shade cloth area

Fantastic location, easy to stroll to river and local attractions. The decor of the motel is gorgeous.

• Deluxe King Room with Garden Tub

The only 'complaint' I could mention was the AC control. It was set at 70, but when we changed it to make it colder, it wouldn't change (as if it was stuck on 70 degrees). No big deal, it was always comfortable, regardless (we just like it colder -- personal preference).

My girlfriend and I got a room on the top floor as a romantic getaway. The room was spacious and amazing! The décor was modern and chic. The view was fantastic --- overlooking the Alamo. The parking was valet -- very cool. We had drinks at the bar before we walked to the Riverwalk, the atmosphere was very nice. I highly recommend it! ;)

I did not like the valet parking because they were rude it was my first time and when I arrived to the hotel they just told me get out of the car and throw me my ticket. I never hear good afternoon or welcome. I will never return to the hotel because of the valet parking. And the pool was small it did not look as the picture

I like the location because everything was close and I can go walking to the restaurant and return to the hotel easy

the price for parking is excessive. $35 plus tax per day.

Great staff! from the valet to housekeeping, they were all friendly and always greet you with a smile.