Reviews of Essex House Hotel 3 stars

1001 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139, USA

#126 of 390 hotels in Miami Beach

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

The best location ever! The best staff.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

I like the people that work there,everybody so smile and they help to us all the time. The mehanic guy was the best! He help us with the AC and it was so kind ans joking all the time.

The staff was always friendly, ready to help, and always...

We had access to the rooftop terrace of the Clevelander, but had to bring our own drinks up there during the week. I see potential here.

The staff was always friendly, ready to help, and always with a smile. The property is located right behind the Ocean Drive strip, and just a couple of minutes from the beach, so you have all the excitement at walking distance, and then you can retreat to your comfortable, quiet(er) hotel.

• Standard Queen Room

Cable wasn’t working and they didn’t offer to switch rooms or credit our room. Overnight parking was $50. They were also unwilling to keep the car until we left at 5pm. Night staff and day staff were definitely not communicating.

Great location, but not worth $.$
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Air conditioner was loud. Strong smell (assuming cleaning stuff) when we got into lobby. Room is smaller than we expected. Bathroom is ok, but still clean.

Great location!

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Good room but not for hot natured people.
    • King Suite

Poor air circulation in the room and no microwave. We couldn’t get the windows to open since there was no fan we didn’t like that we couldn’t get good air flow through the room.

How close it is to the beach and other activities. The staff was helpful and very pleasant.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Overall, if I HAD to stay in this hotel again I would.
    • Standard Queen Room

I didn’t like the fact that at check in their is a hidden security deposit of 100.00. I wasn’t parpared for that. Took me off guard. I didn’t like the bathroom how behind the toilet and sink were black clumpy stuff.

I liked the breakfast which had a big selection. Drinks were cold. Liked how it was the center of everything walking distance from some pretty cool clubs and bars. Pool was small but clean and private. Room was very clean, bathroom was a little rough for me tho. They gave you enough bath towels. The soap and shampoo they had was awesome! Lol I had my own but wanted to try it and we were impressed lol.. lady at front desk was very nice, staff would tell you hello and goodmorning. If you like old historic hotels this one is for you. If you like more modern hotels like me stay away. Lol.

Fantastic Art Deco hotel with many original feature's
    • Standard Queen Room

The air con in my room was no loud and noisy that there was no way I could leave it on at night. There was no fridge in the room and this was disappointing as the weather is so hot there. I would have liked to have a tea/coffee making facilities in my room as there was no means of buying any in the hotel after your free breakfast ones. They have a bar and you can get food in the evening but they don't have the basics of a hot drink which sometimes you want.

The hotel has a fantastic reception area if you are into Art Deco design - its beautiful. The staff were great, very helpful, the breakfast included in your stay is really very good for what I thought was going to be a basic continental breakfast and was always ready by 6.30am. You could get free bottles of water whenever you needed one.

This is an excellent place to stay, and I'll stay there again when I return.

Everything was great! I would definitely recommend it to others. This is a great place to stay!

The bed was really comfortable, and the room was amazing!

Amazing Stay!
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room service came at 9:00 AM. That’s entirely too early, especially for Miami. I felt at times that my guest and I were rushed to get out of the rooms so they can clean. One day we told the cleaning crew to come back in an hour once we left. We left the room for six hours and came back to nothing being cleaned. It’s either a hit or miss with them. On top of that we never had enough towels or toiletries when they did clean the room.

I love the location of this property and how you can have access to all the fun activities at the Clevelander! The beach was nearby and you’re right where everything is while still avoiding all the noises. Also, the staff was phenomenal; especially Louis, G, and Marcellus!

Great location, helpful staff
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The breakfast was not very good and they use cheap plastic cutlery, plates and bowls plus disposable cups which is incredibly wasteful. There was no milk alternative on offer and very limited choice. Apart from some fruit nothing healthy at all.

The hotel is ideally located for South Beach and it's many clubs, restaurants and shops. The staff were very friendly and you get free bottles of water on demand. They had a very small pool area which was nice to relax in.

Awesome Service and even better location
    • King Suite

The elevator was a bit small and very slow but that is the only issue we had. Luckily, we had a suite so that didnt matter.

Honestly, Marcello made this stay amazing. He literally handled everything like we were a family member to him. We arrived before our checkin time and there werent any rooms ready yet but he went above an beyond to make it worth our wait. He gave us options of upgrades, was very personable, and literally made our stay well worth it. The facility itself was awesome. We had a suite that was ducked off but was upgraded to another suite at their sister hotel. Huge rooms, quite, and the bathrooms were like a room within itself. The bar area was nice. The hotel was clearly renovated but done so very well. Highly recommend this property.

Great value
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The telephone was from 1990 and had an awful crackly line The pool was as hot as a bath (probably unavoidable due to weather I guess but weird!) Two in bathroom didn’t have an end point. Had to just find the bit in between where it stopped running?!

Room size, staff, location, efficiency, value for money, customer service, food

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

check in experience was bad. I arrived at 9 am and requested an early check in. The hotel rec'd my request. When I arrived, they said the room wouldn't be ready until 4 pm. Other guests arrived after men and their rooms were ready before mine. I don't understand why they don't prioritize on guest arrival times for rooms to be ready. The lady working at the front desk was not friendly.

4th Stay at Essex House
    • King Suite

The suites need maintenance and renovations. The tubs are chipping, tiles are loose and the rooms feel a bit dated. Suites should include a microwave

This hotel is close to the fun yet far enough away that you can find some peace and quiet. Hotel staff are amazing! Amenities cannot be beat. House keeping wait on suite guest to see if they need anything. They do not disturb those who have not exited the suites.

Great location in the heart of South beach but need some improvements,
    • King Suite

1 - The Parking fees is the highest rate comparing to the same level of hotels in the same location, 2 - I have asked the receptionist for late checkout but he didn’t accept to give me more than 1 hour extra and the hotel was not crowded and it was a weekday, moreover he told me if you stay more than 1 hour extra you will be charged 50 usd, which was not a good answer for my request!! While another hotel in the same area has gave me 4 hrs extra in my previous trip and he told me that its a weekdays so I can give you extra hours for free!! 3 - The variety of breakfast is too litle and you mentioned that its Mediterranean, but there was only small ready made boxes of Philadelphia cheese and jam with fruit salads and bread only!! at least add boiled and fried eggs!

Location, room capacity, clean, internet speed (wifi), TV Channels, coffee machine in the room,

Excellent hotel staff and great location
    • King Suite

I booked the King Suite but when I checked in I was given a smaller room. The front desk manager said the suites were "out of service". However, I was given the option to stay at the Clevelander in a standard King or get a small deduction from the oveall room price, or get a room service voucher to compensate for my suite not being available. So I took the voucher offer. The rooms could definitely be updated. The bathroom was really small and the room had very few amenities. Also the breakfast was not continental but it was ok.

Overall, the room was not impressive but the location was perfect and the staff and managers provided excellent service.

Good location, with only nominal pool and breakfast
    • Standard Queen Room

Breakfast is Key & Peele "Continental Breakfast". Yes. The dreaded American continental breakfast (which is pretty much uneatable). Save yourself time and get food outside (either in the bar or bakery $$ or with dry food from CVS nearby). Pool is quite small and only 4 feet deep.

Location ! 8th street and Collins - you are right by the ocean and beach, Clevelander Hotel (and its bar) is right next to it. Room was fine, outdoor seating is nice :) Staff was friendly and helpful.

We had an amazing time! Clean rooms great staff!
    • Standard Queen Room

The Queen rooms are a bit small

The staff was amazing! Weekend security opens doors for you! Great outside sitting area!!! Any issue we had the staff took care of immediately! I loved this hotel and will be back

Good hotel but needs some refurbishing
    • Standard Queen Room

Internally, this hotel needs some refurbishing. For example, ventilation system is completely absent in the bathroom and it is not possible to open the window. There are very few power sockets. I would also suggest improving illumination in the entry hall. BUT PLEASE PRESERVE AS FAR AS POSSIBLE THE ORIGINAL BUILDING AND FURNITURE!

Beautiful building, excellent location, good breakfast, my room was very quiet and has a nice view.

Outstanding as always!!
    • King Suite

There is a noticeable difference in the new restaurant owner and staff but I'm sure they will be fine given a little more time to settle in.

I've come to South Beach once or twice a year since 2007 and have always stayed in the exact same suite at this hotel. I wish to thank the entire staff for affording me this pleasure yet again during my recent stay in May. My experience with the Essex House, Miami is always a great one and I look forward to my return.

Exhausting! Not worth the money!
    • King Suite

I was given a suite on the 3rd floor which was a nightmare. I specifically asked for a suite on the 1st floor because I can't climb steps. I was sick with bronchitis the entire trip and climbing stairs and not being able to breathe, I thought I was going to die. I asked the woman at the desk and she said it was all they had left. Bad job booking.com. I feel like booking my trip at least 3 months in advance, I would be able to get what I want.

I enjoyed the relaxing porch. I enjoyed the very large suite. The pool area was very small but relaxing. The location was amazing!

I was not impress with the rooms. Once again for the price I expected a lot more and better service.
    • King Suite

For the price of your rooms, I expected a lot more to include,your staff being more professional. When you state continental breakfast on your website waffles, meat and oatmeal should be include in the menu. The Marriott, Hampton Inns and others provides these as a continental breakfast.

The ability to walk to the strip.

A Heaven :)

everything was perfect

Good place to spend a complete holiday there. The hotel and the rooms are clean and beautiful, weel designed. The beach is 3 minutes walk. Wifi is perfect,

excellent stay
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

they didn't have the room I ordered so they upgraded us to the clevelander hotel which is better , closer to the beach and got a better room !!! will definately come back !! thanks

Just was an average stay. Good cocktails at bar
    • Standard Queen Room

I am not sure why there is $100.00 deposit per night? That is pretty outrageous especially for a hotel that was not too exciteable. This could be hard for guests who can’t afford this and holding up their card

Just was an average room.. Nothing really stands it apart. For the price I could’ve found something a little more better. Maybe get rid of breakfast and lower room price because from what I seen from guests they were not too excited with the breakfast since it was just barely a continental breakfast.

Beautiful hotel, large and clean rooms and staff was nice and accommodating. Perfect location.
    • King Suite

I dislike that there was no microwave available in the suite.

Free welcome cocktails, free breakfast, pool access, club access and daily complementary juice and water.

For just a few dollars more, we booked a suite - it was...
    • King Suite

The noise! Miami beach is noisy by definition, but to add to the usual city noise of cars going by, music and crowds in the distance, we had very noisy neighbors above (kid seemed to do gymnastics for 2 hours every morning) and besides us (partied til midnight, and partied coming back at 5a!). While the rudeness of some people is not the hotel's fault, the rooms are not very sound proof and seems no one cares about the excessively loud music coming from rooms. Note about parking - valet parking is expensive, and above all, takes long to get the car - we waited nearly an hour. Best deal is parking garage @ 12th & Washington - max $20/day and it's right by the police station ;)

For just a few dollars more, we booked a suite - it was really roomy! Nice to be able to relax in comfy chair with my spouse is resting in bed. Location, if you want to be in S. Beach, was perfect; Breakfast was good.

Well worth the price, we will be back!
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The rooms were clean and well appointed but the bathrooms could use a little bit of updating. Functional, clean, but dated.

Excellent, caring staff who paid attention to our needs. From the front desk remembering us by name, to the bellman having a cab for us to depart on time, the experience was great!

The location and ambiance of hotel makes up for shortcomings
    • King Suite

The on-site restaurant advertised on website has been closed for 3 months. This should be updated on your website. Guest services is weak

The location is primr

Anniversary trip
    • King Suite

Great service beginning with check in. Eric was awesome throughout our stay. Entire staff was friendly and helpfull. Location was perfect for our visit. Breakfast and happy hour were appreciated.

Great location, even better staff!
    • King Suite

The suites were amazing. The staff was great, especially Eric and Marco. Even though this is next to the Clevelander, we didn’t hear any of the music once we were back in our room!

The location of the Essex was perfect for our long weekend...
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Rooms require some renovation and maintenance, nothing that would ruin your stay just a few things that pay put off some guests.

The location of the Essex was perfect for our long weekend getaway to Miami, right in the heart of the action. The staff were extremely helpful and were kind enough to offer us a welcome drink on arrival after our delay. The included continental breakfast was a great perk, in addition to the ability to use the Clevelander facilities next door. The bed was super comfy to fall into at the end of a great night!

Wonderful experience and would definitely stay again!
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The only thing that could’ve been better was a better check out process as the line was very long. We had already paid for the room so there really wasn’t a need to check out, but they make you wait in the line to basically just turn in the room keys. Also, the pillows were quite lumpy.

The hotel was very clean, the location was great, and the overall value was exceptional.

Perfect Location
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Cleaning is an issue , the was a day they didn’t make our room and there was another that did it just partially . Breakfast must include eggs .

Location is more than perfect

The gentleman who helped me with my luggage gave excellent...
    • King Suite

The room (king suite) was very dark and smelled extremely musty/damp. Overall the hotel was tired and breakfast was very basic served on plastic plates with plastic cutlery.

The gentleman who helped me with my luggage gave excellent service and was very friendly. The location really is excellent.

great location ,comfy beds great staff
    • Standard Queen Room

Bed was very comfy, excellent location, great staff. Swimming pool was a surprise ,nice seating area. Free bottles of water . I would recommend this property it has a great location and comfy beds. Pretty clean rooms

Staying in the King Suite was worth it!! Bed was comfortable & the suite was very clean!
    • King Suite

Continental breakfast could have been more than what was offered for the price per night for your stay!!

Great location! Everything in walking distance from the beach, nearby restaurants, entertainment, & shopping! Loved the fact that the Clevelander was a sister hotel with access if you were staying at the Essex.

Location was absolutely perfect.
    • King Suite

Breakfast was quite poor and served in disposable cups and plates. Very little environmentally friendly. Also there where small steps in many places so it was a little bit hard to get around with a baby trolley and a wheelchair.

Location was absolutely perfect.

NEVER AGAIN N WILL NOT RECOMMEND TO MY WORST ENEMY
    • Standard Queen Room

If u have low expectations n don't mind a few flying bug YESSS BUGS this place is for u!! This place is like a 3star motel! This place needs deep cleaning from the rugs all through the staff..Completely Unattentive! Unprofessional Ungrateful for their job.. perhaps these types of reviews never make it to the District Managers (or perhaps they don't care either)because supervisor at this hotel are in alliance...SAD! Beware of Zuleika in front desk, I saw n heard her treat guests poorly specially the ones that knew no English, when I called she hung up the phone n when I called again she refused to give me her name..she did not help n nasty those types of weak links can make any place A NIGHTMARE REGARDLESS OF LOCATION! It was mentioned housekeeping is a 3rd party nevertheless on top of dated sticky rugs, 1 outlet n it's behind bed, really small dusty&dated bathroom with EXTRA small toilets, old lumpy stinky pillows, no coffee machine, no fridge, loud AC, no radio/ no alarm clock n TV only had 5 channel from almost 100 YOU WILL WAIT GOOD PAST your check in time for your room n u will notice the lobby full of victim on a DAILY BASES 6pm STILL WAITING to check in with children and all! TERRIBLE! And upon check out they will harass u. They run the vacuum at 1130pm n it's loud! No meats or eggs for breakfast..breads, spreads, yogurt, fruits salad, cereal n watered down juice, coffee taste like cardboard box! No shuttles, they tell u happy hour at 4pm offering only wine but website says it's BEER and WINE(in fine print of course)! Also no bikes, they didn't have enough umbrellas for guest, pool area is practically on side walk just gated in..but with Loud traffic honking noise, If u decide to go here 1st think about it twice! 2nd I dare u to take me up on verifying all the above..then write a review.

Across the way there are hotels with phenomenal meticulous attentiveness n every way(Like the Blue Moon)This place has location but there are so many weak links in front line operation completely defective. Idk who controls their reviews or if this will reach the public but they have scored 8.3 this has to be entirely rigged. However u do get towels for pool area n/or beach ($15 if u loose towel pass n idk if there is another charge if u loose towel) This hotel also is associated with Clevelander around the corner sports/Lounge/Bar/Pool area food n drinks you can enjoy although u can enter this place free without staying at the Exxes.

location was perfect for going out on the town and close to...
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

air conditioning did not adequately cool room, no fridge, older room and elevator

location was perfect for going out on the town and close to the beach

Great time, loads of fun
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Would love to see a more extensive breakfast menu. Would be nice if there was an internal walk way that connected to clevelander from within the property.

Love the vibe of the hotel as well as it's connection to Clevelander.

Spacious suite and perfect location for beach, shopping and restaurants.
    • King Suite

The breakfast was a little meh /not really on par with the rest of the experience (like their great customer service), it’s not bad just like pretty basic (e.g. all plastic utensils and plates,(wasteful) and exact same stuff every day - white breads/cereals and fruit (which was good)- just nothing hot or fresh like meats or cheeses or local foods - not a big deal but for long stays, I was over it after day 3-4 A microwave or a tea kettle in the King Suite to prepare warm baby food would be a nice touch since baby cribs are available (which is great). There is a loading zone for commercial trucks right there next to the pool - not that it can be changed - it’s just not exactly cool to listen to a truck parked idling for literally hours at a time just a few feet from your head while you are trying to relax by the pool...but the pool area is cute and pool is clean.

Location is amazing, access to the Clevelander is a good bonus, room (king suite) is spacious, comfy bed, bathroom is huge - front desk staff are super helpful and friendly!!

The essence of Art Deco, 1 block from the SCENE on Ocean Drive!

noisy air conditioner.

The only glitch was reserving a table at the Spiga restaurant - Spiga had no record of the reservation. I don't know on which end the fault lies, but being Sunday, we had no problem being seated. Outside of that, the staff was amazingly helpful & friendly, can't say enough. My partner & I loved sitting out on the patio, sipping wine or eating breakfast while we people watched.

I had not visited Miami before and The Essex is excellently located to take in the sites.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel reminded me of the Algonquin in New York when I stayed there in the 80's because this is not a new hotel and it has a good lived in feel. I found that the hot water was a little slow in coming but it made it in the end.

I liked the hotel and ate two good dinners there. I liked the style of the hotel, the valet parking for the car and excellent location one block off Ocean Drive. Towels were provided for my swim off the beach. The barman was helpful.

• King Suite

I like the fact the hotel it's own bar with different varieties of food and drinks. Happy hour everyday and the staff made sure we knew everything that was happening at the hotel so we were always updated.

Convenient Miami Beach location... and yet price gouged.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Continental breakfast SUCKED-----some fruit, all white breads and sugar sweetened yogurt. The resort tax of $23.00 daily was totally bogus. We never used the pool or extra towels and then they add %14 on top of that then another tax on top of that made it tooooooo expensive and not worth it. Nightly room was $111 and two nights with the taxes added up to $306+. BOGUS CHARGES! I will never stay again.... or in Miami Beach. MB is totally a rip off with haughty drunken attitude.

the bed was comfortable, the staff nice, decco buildings lovely.

I had a pleasant stay and thought the staff were very good.
    • Standard Queen Room

The breakfast was a bit basic but adequate .

The staff at the front desk were very helpful and welcoming. And also I had to call a maintenance man to fix my telly he was exceptionally helpful and wouldn’t even take a tip for his trouble .

Place with a charm of old days
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The breakfast was for me disgusting! Only super sweet things, no jam but some kind of sugar-is jelly, then something which maybe in America is called croissants but not in rest of the normal world, super week coffee, plastic fruits but i would say its a rather my general problem with US food which is on many places similarly below standards for human consumption. The walls are bit thin, not sound proof at all!

In contrast to most of the Miami the Art Deco neighborhood has some charm and this Hotel among it. In this hotel you can feel the old days, in good way! The staff was really helpful and the beach and the other attractions are in walking distance and the beach is super close!

The bed was comfortable
    • King Suite

Lack of communication between staff member after booking my room and waited over four hours for it to be ready by 4pm and nobodycam is I us telling we didn’t have a room ready until we e had O Ask ! We was informed since I was my birthday I was upgraded to a suite ! But why wasn’t I Inform ? Why at 4:16 no room was ready ? Why did count led check in before us that came after us ? Also why was we charged before a room was available ? The manager had to get involved because at this point I was very upset after waiting I from 11am until almost 5pm for a room ! When check in suppose to be granted by 4pm ! You guys needs a better way of communication and before you conduct business make sure you have availability for your customers ! But however the Rooms are a little old fashion ! But for one night was can you expect! Shout out to cleverland r etaursnt awesoem food and wings ! Welcome drink non alcoholic ! But What can expect in Miami Florida !!

The bed was comfortable

Decent hotel in great location with great staff but just needs modernised a bit
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Bar shut at 1130. Small pool.1600 check in. Also is there a need to hold $100 per night on your card?

Great location and very helpful staff. Breakfast was good. It’s an Art Deco building so the hotel is not modern. Carpets on stairs and hall way good do with being updated. Pool is small but your 5 minutes from the beach

Great hotel
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The parking is rough, not just that hotel but the whole area

Staff was very friendly. I traveled with my elderly father and they went out of their way to make sure he was taken care of.

I preffer to go in other place next time
    • King Suite

Dirty, dark lobby and acces to the room and very tight acces to my room, The pool is as big as a large jacuzzi The valet has talking to much The breakfast very poor

Big room and huge bathroom, confortable bed, good position, close to the beach

Great continental breakfast!
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room size was too small for three people really, no space for suitcases. Bathrooms could do with updating.

Great continental breakfast! Happy hour is a nice touch. Great staff, very friendly and helpful with local knowledge and great spots to eat.

Memorable stay, great staff!
    • Standard Queen Room

Electrical outlets are not abundant, due to older building.

Carolina at the front desk is a real asset to their business. Friendly, hospitable as if you were visiting her own home. Joel the Bell Man, dynamic young man. Hats off to Essex House.

Great location with very friendly staff. Lacking a fridge so eat all of your food at the restaurant!
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

There is no fridge or microwave in any of the rooms. So we would bring home all of our food from dinners, and would have nothing to do with them. That was the only bummer.

This hotel was perfect for what we needed it for; a bachelorette party. We were only in the rooms to sleep and shower on occasions. The staff was very kind. They were quick to bring up ice for our beverages (and concerning that there isn't a fridge) this was very important. We picked this hotel for the location. You are steps from the beach on 10th street and then a short walk to the 12th street entrance, if you're looking for something different :-)

• Standard Queen Room

Exaggerated description. Is a 3 start hotel with no in-room facilities such as fridge, coffee maker etc. Dismal continental breakfast. No bar facility in hotel. But you better off at the (noisy) Clevelander partner hotel nearby.

it was nothing different than a 2 star hotel breakfast;
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

faulty breakfast advertisement. Too long of a wait time for the walle. There are laud people screaming in the halls. Hood fights in the floors we stayed at.

it was nothing different than a 2 star hotel breakfast; Donuts, toasts and some yogurt thats it. Cant really call it including breakfast.

Party Part of Town
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

4 stars was a stretch, I had to look up the official way to be rated with 4 stars, The rooms need a real makeover with some invested money not just a little paint. Be careful of the room assigned you might not get sleep because of noise. The Valet is not worth it. Parking is NOT on site, it is a public garage. If you have an expensive car or just value your car, park it yourself. It is a place to crash after parties. Other couples near me were not happy.

The Staff was nice. They were accommodating. The breakfast is worth it. (free). center of the life of Miami. Walk everywhere. across the street from beach. Great for Party goers! Great for the price. location is Central.

A beautiful calm oasis in the heart of the action.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

I can't think of what I didn't like! Just a suggestion, one more garbage can in the room - there's just one in the bathroom.

Excellent location - 'this is a classy place to stay just one block from all the craziness of ocean drive!! We slept well- I was worried about possibly having to hear the ocean drive noise at night. Access to the Clevelander is given- now that is a party hotel. It was so nice to have the option to hangout there as well- they have a rooftop level hangout with awesome views and music etc- and a 4th floor level sun deck with a small bar and complimentary water bottles (you need water all day long in this weather!!) and sunscreen/sunburn soothing lotions and cool wading pool with great views. Between both hotels, they supply towels to use there or at the beach which is across the street from the Clevelander. You can't miss the Clevelander hotel, it's on the corner of 10th and Ocean drive - with a party happening all day long curbside. Open air restaurant, live dj, bar, pool, tv's galore, dance floor tons of seating- the waitstaff are friendly. You have access to all of this when you book at the Essex. Totally different vibe at Essex- Art Deco modern calm beautifully restored hotel. Helpful friendly attentive staff. They were all willing to give tips on where to eat/shop/how best to get around town- super helpful. I got such a great deal here when I booked it, I was worried it might be a bit questionable. Not at all- we couldn't believe it. All was great! And something I always check for are bedbugs/bugs in the room- none! Super clean lovely place. A calm oasis just one block from party central and the beach. We love the action down the street and next door at the Clevelander but really enjoyed coming back into the Essex for a more relaxed (candlelight lit lobby at night) environment. We will be back!!!

Perfect position and good value/money ratio
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Too loudy air condition. Long waiting for the car picked up from wallet parking by staff, although we ordered it 30 min. before check out

Nice old hotel. Room and staff overall perfect.

The make-up room team need to care more
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The make-up room services were so slow. We went out all day and returned at 3 p.m and the room hadn't been cleaned, they knocked my room at around 4p.m and i told them we has just taken a nap and would like them come back 30' later, but 10' later a woman looked like a supervisor knocked my door and said : hey, listen , the team will finish their work in 10' so if you want your room been cleaned up or not . First of all i agreed to rush my family get change to go out, but then i thought why they didn't check the vancant room in all day to work first ?

The location are really good, near the beach, a lot of out- street- restaurant and shoppes. The front desk employee is nice.

The location is perfect and the staff is great.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

We paid a lot and didn't feel it was valuable. In booking its marked as a 4 stars, but it looks less than 3 stars. The hotel is very old, The carpet in the room and in the corridor was disgusting and smelled very bad.

The location is perfect and the staff is great. The bed was good and the water pressure in the bath was also good.

A sleepless stay
    • Standard Queen Room

The noise was unbelievable, there was no soundproofing. The air-con was really old and noisy, there was paint peeling in the room, there was a 100 dollar deposit required per night that we didn't know about. The hotel had poor breakfast with plastic cutlery, the restaurant was only open a few nights, there was no bar on property had to use the Clevlander which was suited more to a young party crowd. Stayed there for six nights and found it closer to a hostel than hotel, if you are in your early twenties and want to be close to the beach it's fine, if you want anything else it's no suitable

It was close to the beach

Great stay
    • King Suite

One day they didn't have enough wash cloths for my suite (which was for only 2 people). I had to us a hand towel to wash up

The location was great, access to the other all adults hotel had it even better.

Execellent location
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Nothing to say...yet it could be good if the hotel provide chairs and umbrella for the beach.. Wikk save money of rentals

Location: near to the beach, shops, and variety of restaurants... burger King anf Subway restaurants are at 3 minutes walking distance Staff are professional and friendly Very quick service Clean room Comfortable bed The happy hour between 4:30 and 5:30 Definitely Will come back

Miami Getaway
    • King Suite

I didn't like there weren't any full length mirrors in my suite. And being I was situated on the first floor in the front of the building, I couldn't leave the shades open without people on the street looking in. There needed to be some sheer curtains for privacy at least.

The staff Nicole was amazing! She worked with me, gave great recommendations, and her energy was superb. I loved the jacuzzi in my suite! The mini fridge and amenities were great!

The block to be in miami beach
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

They dont leave room not to like much.. its all good there from internet to everything.!

Location is great service is exelent very modern everything they are 2 hotels together guest can use the next door hotel roof top pool bars everything ... hotel may be a bit on pricey side but then all miami beach is... staff is #1 kick back relax they do for you what needs to be done.. steps away from beach and it is the moast fun corner intersection at night in miami beach... few blocks up few blocks down is not the same......

Great location on south beach, nice member of staff
    • Standard Queen Room

Too expensive for what you get, most horrible breakfast i ever had, rooms look old and need renovation.

Great location on south beach, nice member of staff

excellent hotel in top location!
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

no fitness facilities. the miserable member of staff with the ever changing hair color that serves breakfast.

The location and the upbeat vibe in the hotel. the fantastic friendly staff. happy hour.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Great location, staff were very friendly and helpful.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

It was a shame the pool area was closed at 5pm. Areas other than to reception and dining area was a bit tired.

Great location, staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Great location in the thick of the action
    • King Suite

A little noisey, the pool was poor , and using plastic plates , knifes , forks and spoons was not exceptable for a hotel claiming 4/5 star rating

Room size was excellent and a great location for those looking to party

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Great location and friendly staff!!
    • Standard Queen Room

Breakfast was ok, not great. Also, it could use some updating like the carpeting in the hallway and the bathroom looked very tired.

Very friendly staff and the location was perfect in that it was close to the beach and restaurants but quiet so you could get some sleep.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Perfectly located hotel
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

We had to search for a cheaper parking a bit away from the hotel in a parking house. It was still an additional cost.

Breakfast was very nice - fruit, pastries, cereal ... The sun deck was awesome and we loved that we had free entrance to the Clevelander club.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

Great time and great location at Essex.
    • King Suite

1st floor room on the street side meant we had to keep the curtains drawn the entire time for privacy.

Great location! Retro, old school feel with updates. Very nice staff.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Location is excellent, very close to beach.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Only Valet parking available. Room can be quite noisy with thin walls and quests arriving 24 hours per day. Was wakened by somebody snoring in the next room.

Location is excellent, very close to beach.

Browse Essex House Hotel traveller photo gallery