Reviews of Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa 4 stars

9700 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037, USA

#60 of 226 hotels in San Diego

Was not expecting a "Hospitality Service Fee" for...

Was not expecting a "Hospitality Service Fee" for $30 per day...for what? We paid $28 for parking and most resorts have a pool so I don't get why this is an additional fee.

Pleasantly pleased.

It was perfect.

Location was perfect since our son's graduation was at UCSD. The property is beautiful, clean, comfortable and has beautiful grounds.

Estancia is an average property with a few gardens.
    • Veranda King Room

Expected it to be more lavish like La Costa Resort especially because it has four stars. Food in the restaurant especially the breakfast wasn’t very good. Grounds have a few flowers but overall not that great. I wouldn’t return. The refrigerator made a horrible sound all night. I told the front desk we didn’t sleep a wink and instead of taking off a breakfast or something they just said thank you for telling us. Wow!!!!

Gardens were nice. Loved the free shuttle .....our driver Larry was fantastic!!!!

Came for business; Left relaxed and rejuvenated

What a relaxing atmosphere! Never would have known that I was across the street from a major university. Everything was so relaxing, clean, and just wonderful. Loved the super soft robes in the closet and the bottle of wine waiting and included in the room were a nice touch. I would definitely recommend Estancia La Jolla!

Very relaxing stay, clean rooms, and spa was nice.

The breakfast could use some improvement. Would have been nice to have a small boutique at the resort.

Very relaxing stay, clean rooms, and spa was nice.

Loved Every Minute of our Stay. Definitely Returning.

Our room faced a parking lot and the noisy road. It was very confusing to get to the pool from our room (383). Parking is $28 a day? Even for guests. Valet is $35 a day, even for guests? I'm sure this information was documented somewhere but I it was probably in fine print. What guest would expect to have to pay for parking or valet at a hotel they are staying in?

The peace and tranquility of this property is unique. The rooms are cozy, inviting, and clean. We absolutely loved the old world Spanish feel and charm. The room had a spacious balcony to sit and enjoy nature and the beautiful landscaping. The pool cabanas awesome. All services were on point! Love the distance to Black's Beach. Its also not very far from Old Town.

Relaxing and comfortable with an excellent Spa and great food!

Be careful of hidden costs. For example, valet parking was necessary and very expensive per day. The hotel also has other hidden charges that you need to find out before getting excited at the price comparison to other hotels in the area.

This is a real gem. It is away from the hustle and bustle, and a short drive to the Cove. The hotel also has a shuttle service. Peaceful surroundings were welcoming and the rooms were cosy and beds are so comfortable. They provide room service as well as have a coffee and snack bar. We decided to stay at the hotel the first night and try out their restaurant. The food was excellent but if you are wanting a busy, vibrant restaurant I would suggest going to La Jolla Cove. The Spa was out of this world. We didn't choose this hotel for the Spa but decided to treat ourselves. The facilities plus the therapists at the Spa are superb. Well worth every penny. I would stay here again. Please be careful with hidden costs i.e valet parking and other hotel charges.

I'm sorry we didn't have more time to enjoy this lovely resort.

I have no complaints about the hotel. I look forward to staying there in the future.

The grounds are beautiful. Our room was very comfortable, spotless and nicely appointed. We enjoyed breakfast in the hotel restaurant.

Nice LaJolla hotel, but very late check in

The check-in is very late at this hotel, we arrived at 11:30 am but got our room at 3:30 pm although we called the reception to check if the room was ready. Ultimately when we got the room, it was next to the entrance and the guests were loud at night. When we got to the pool around 4 pm, it was over crowded, bunch of kids and people on top of each other in the jacuzzi.

The location is great, hotel is also beautiful. Bed is comfortable. Nice pool and drinks. Some of the staff very nice some are rude.

Enjoyed my stay...food service is very slow.
    • Estate Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Brought a roll away to our room and just left it standing up. Bed not made. Had to call for pillows and blankets that did not arrive until 10.30pm.

Grounds and location are great. Shuttle service and driver excellent.

warm and nice environment, friendly staffs and good...
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

there is only one lift, need walk long way if you carry a heavy laggage from parking lot. our room is facing to swiming pool which is quite noisy at day time.

warm and nice environment, friendly staffs and good restaurent for dinner.

Beautiful and inviting.

The door (close by) slammed a few times during the day. I stayed in room 342. The next door had clothes and other articles hanging from their balcony. Not what I wanted to see when looking out the window.

The grounds were beautiful and inviting. Very clean.

This was not a comfortable experience for a "resort" hotel. Disappointed.

The sink didn't drain well. The TV didn't connect to WiFi or movies. Very noisy hallways outside our room . We had to sleep w the fan on (for white noise) to get undisturbed sleep. The "annual" fire alarm checks were unbearable and sent us running from our room one morning that we intended to relax on the property. Didn't get coffee Keurig cups one day. It took us calling twice over several hours for the roll-away bed for our son, which finally came after 930pm. We did notify appropriate people for a few of these complaints. Nothing was resolved except the coffee (and the bed) which we finally did get.

The spa was excellent!!!

Service and room service very slow. Never picked up trays after calling housekeeping for pickup. Not one thing in the mini bar or for fridge. Slow service at breakfast, we had to get the hostess to even get the waiters attention.

Comfortable bed and nice in room amenities

The toilet ran all night and when I brought it to the attention of the front desk the reaction seemed like they were not very concerned

Comfortable bed and nice in room amenities

It was a generally satisfactory, albeit pricey, experience

1) The parking staff were pushy and confiscated my keys briefly, 2) No microwave in room, 3) Not much to eat in the mornings and what there was was expensive. $16+ for a croissant sandwich?! 4) Bed was only moderately comfortable

1) The Estancia Hotel is very close to the University of California at San Diego. 2) The on-site restaurant is open until midnight and is quite nice, albeit pricey. 3) Staff generally friendly and helpful

Lovely stay
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Water pressure in shower was very weak. Was surprised by $30 charge for “complimentary” wine and coffee in room as well as $28 “park yourself” charge. Such fees should be disclosed at the of booking.

Great property, beautifully landscaped, lovely pool, nice rooms, welcoming staff.

Very relaxing property and quiet

Bed and pillows were okay. Personal preference is firmer bed. I don't drink wine, so didn't care for the included $30 to the room rate and not having the option to opt out. Parking fee seemed high.

Very clean room and hotel. Beautifully designed room. Towels were nice quality. Liked our little patio outside our door. Beautiful gardens throughout the property.

One of the best birthday weekends I spent. SHould have stayed longer!

can't think of anything.

The staff were very friendly. The facility was clean and comfortable. Rowdy people in the hallway late and security must have been called, because I heard them speak to the party. Everything was great.

Last morning of stay the people in the room next to us were...
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Last morning of stay the people in the room next to us were very noisy (in their room and outside). My whole family was up before 7 am! Unfortunately this issue caused my family a extremely tired travel day.

I will never spend another dime here.

I didn't like the pretentious staff and I also didn't appreciate my credit card being charged for room service that we did not recieve. The hotel Charges a pretty penny for the night and you mean to tell me that you had to make up a fake Charge? Charged for room service that you didn't recieve is not ok. We also didn't have any toothpaste so my husband called for some and two ladies walked up to our door almost inviting themselves In before they realized he wasn't alone. Unprofessional much?

I liked that the room was huge and the bed was really comfortable.

Beautiful resort !
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I can’t think of anything.

Beautiful resort !! I stayed for 7 days. The staff are exceptional, so nice and friendly. My room was immaculate, cleaned daily with fresh linens. The grounds are beautiful. The resort provides a free shuttle to anywhere within 5 miles. The spa services were awesome I had a manicure and pedicure, the best I have had. Anna is so kind. The resort is centrally located close to the beaches shopping and restaurants. The resort restaurant is excellent and could accommodate my food allergies. I’m already planning my return trip to La Jolla and will stay here again.

Accommodating staff, many restaurants and a coffee shop on...
    • Estate King Room

Pay system was down. Not transparent about related fees (e.g. $28 for self parking).

Accommodating staff, many restaurants and a coffee shop on site, very serene property.

It was located in quiet area and was very clean.

Service at restaurant (Mustangs & Burros) was pretty bad. Service was very slow and sloppy, servers walked slow which made them look like they are lacking enthusiasm. Also there was no availability at Spa which was very disappointing. The front desk told us that the hotel was only 50% filled so we shouldn't have problem booking spa sessions but when we sent so spa they told us there's none available.

It was located in quiet area and was very clean. Front desk staffs and valet staffs were very friendly and helpful, it made us feel welcoming despite how tired we were from traveling.

The hotel was a great surprise.
    • Veranda King Room

Next time I wouldn't valet. It was easier to park right by our room.

The hotel was a great surprise. I booked the hotel because they accepted pets and it was close to the soccer tournament we were going to. But I would return for a real vacation. Our room was at the end of a long corridor with a grassy area right out the back. It was very easy to have our lab with us. The room itself and the rest of the facilities were very nicely maintained. And, the restaurants were excellent. Great cocktails and upscale Mexican fare. In fact, we went to a fancy dinner at a different hotel one night, and wished we had just stayed in our hotel because it was better food, for less money, with a much friendlier staff.

One of the most beautiful resorts we have ever stayed in. Couples, families, friends - you must go!
    • Estate Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The only suggestion I would have and it was minor ... the wait staff at the pool did not clean up the glasses/plates that guests left. by the end of the day there we glasses everywhere! They were plastic, so not dangerous, just unclean. and it brought the seagulls in! It stood out b/c it was the only issue we had and went against the brand.

it was ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL - perfect really in all ways. I would go back in a minute! My whole family loved it. Every detail was wonderful.

We had a fabulous time at the Estancia!
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

The room was very dark and hardly any sun came through the windows. But hotel staff was very accommodating and brought in extra lampshades for the room.

We loved the courtyard location of our room

I was traveling with my 93 year old mother and we all enjoyed ourselves. You have good employees.
    • Estate Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

Please get another brand of espresso. The peerless brand for coffee and espresso is not good and I didn't enjoy my latte in the mornings. Maybe an Italian brand like Lavazza? Or something better then what you are using

The beds were great and I enjoyed the food in your restaurants. And I liked the spa too. And offering complimentary transportation to other areas within 5 miles is really great.

Great resort, with exceptional friendly staff

Breakfast was pretty expensive, it was very good though

Really friendly staff, great swimming pool and the hot tub was probably the best I've experienced. I stayed with work and it was a great place to come back to and relax, the bed were also incredibly comfortable.

Excellent stay but Estancia needs to do better.

No separate pool area for adults. Our room looked dated and could hear conversations from other guests on both sides. Rooms need a makeover.

King bed was very comfortable.

What I thought was the nicest place in La Jolla turned out to be a huge disappointment.
    • Estate Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Our room was not ready when we arrived at 2pm so we happily went straight to the pool. We had hoped for a nice relaxing time but it turned out to be a terrible experience. There was not a single chair open so I agreed to pay $75 for a sunbed so my kids would have somewhere to sit. The $75 was supposed to include a small fridge stocked with drinks and fruit but it sat empty the entire afternoon even though I asked three times for someone at the bar to bring some waters. There was only 2 people behind the bar and I saw only one person serving around 100 people at the pool. The servers were obviously short handed and therefore not very friendly or helpful. We sat at the pool until 5 pm without one person coming by to offer any water or anything. We also did not hear from the front desk about our room until after check in time when I walked over to ask about it.

Dinner at the restaurant was good.

Relaxing and beautiful property - once we actually got to check in!
    • Estate Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

We were "walked" the first night of our stay to a nearby Marriott. Our flights were delayed for 3hours, so the hotel apparently cancelled our first night and gave our room to someone else. No one called me or emailed me to let me know, we only found out when we arrived (exhausted) at 230a. To be fair, the next day they did reimburse us for the Lyft rides there and back and gave a credit for breakfast - which, when I got home, they erroneously charged me for. I had to call yet again to reverse the charges for their oversight. Very disappointing.

The property was serene, very relaxed and absolutely beautifully green and well kept. The food was delicious throughout the property, and the Chardonnay from the winery was absolutely delicious. Dominic was very nice and helpful when we arrived the second day. Perfect place for a girls trip, romantic getaway, or wedding!

Everyone and everything about our stay was excellent except when we left we were not given our spare key. Had we not had my primary set we would have been stuck at a gas station 1 hr away. I contacted the hotel and the security manager apologized for the error and overnighted our key. If not for my primary set of keys it would have been a disaster!

Loved the location and for the most part a first rate hotel

Gorgeous, secluded place in convenient location

My only complaints are minor, because we really enjoyed our stay. However, it was after 4:00 before our room was cleaned, which I found surprising. Also, some of the staff, while very friendly, seemed a little forgetful or inattentive. For example, we ordered a quick breakfast from The Blend coffee shop, they took our payment, gave me part of my order and then ignored me for 5 minutes. Mistakes happen, and it wasn't a big deal, but it bothered me that no one apologized. I stood there right in front of the counter and waited for the rest of my order while other people were served. When it got to be a really long wait, I asked how much longer it would be and then it became obvious they weren't even making the rest of my order and had forgotten about it. I don't know why they thought I was standing there. Another staff member did something very similar. I ordered two drinks, but only got one and had to ask again and have my card re-run. Also, when I checked in, I was asked if I was parking at the hotel, I told the woman that I was not, but when I checked out I noticed I was charged $25 a day for parking. It was quickly fixed, but it was little things like this that bothered me about the service. They were friendly enough, just not paying as much attention as they should be for a place like this.

The landscaping was breathtaking. I loved the overall feel of this place--it was very secluded and I liked the individual outdoor entrances to the rooms and all the greenspace. The pool and hot tub area was clean and larger than I expected, and the food was very good. I thought the complimentary bottle of local wine was a nice touch. The staff was very friendly and I liked the little extras--like the movie/pool nights, the cookies with the concierge, yoga, etc.

not worth $1000 for a night w/ 4- 5 check-in & noon checkout

the rooms for the money we paid,weren't adjoining or even near each other and were just ok,no view,patio etc really disappointed

beautiful old spanish

Not recommended at all
    • Veranda King Room

They give me the last room in the hotel with car parking view!! And i mention that is my wife birthday they didn't even but one flawar on the bed what a service!!! It's my first and last time Not recommended at all

Quite

the staff was helpful and nice there was a problem with the...

they did not have the reserved room available.

the staff was helpful and nice there was a problem with the reservation and they tried to resolve the issue.

No weddings in the court yard.

No weddings in the court yard. The price for everything was to damn high. When you pay 300.00 for a room and they charge you 24.00 for glass of wine, it was just over priced for what you get.

A lovely spot run by criminals who are out to steal your money

1. Drill noise at 11pm in the courtyard, taking down a party. 2. Dining room service was HORRIBLE. Waited nearly an hour before we got our food. 3. Waitress by the pool overcharged us - thankfully I checked the bill and caught it. 4. MULTIPLE additional fees and taxes tacked on to our bill upon check-out including $25/day parking fees. Receptionist refused to take these off so I had him get the manager. After a short fight, she removed over $150 of fees!! Pretty sure they have a racket going on over there.

Ambience and decor of the hotel in general is lovely.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Excellent setting near UCSD and major research Institutes.

Stallions & Bueroes Restaurant, although a very pleasant setting did not have very impressive service. Food was very good but the issue may have been the Server.

Property was lovely and well maintained. Very pleasant pool area with Cabana. Staff and valet were very accommodating.

Short Spa Trip

I booked a couples massage and we couldn't have been happier. Loved the spa and pool amenities as well as the complementary lotions, bath wash in the hotel room... they are my favorite! Larry, the shuttle man, was so helpful and friendly, too.. definitely will be back :)

Will Make this Go-to hotel when visiting La Jolla

Room was a little musty at times, needed to run AC constantly at 68 degrees to just get room to 72 degrees, and it ran the entire time there was no controlled thermostat which regulated and turned off.

Stayed recently for a nearby wedding in La Jolla. Staff was great, property was nice and up to date. They have plenty on site Blend Coffee Shop, a wine bar, and two decent restaurants. Centrally located in La Jolla about 7 minute drive to shops and beaches. Enjoyed pool area and Spa. Fitness center was adequate for hotel property.

Lovely hotel with a fabulous staff!

Excellent friendly staff! Lovely room with a VERY comfy bed. Love the grounds and spacious surroundings. Would definitely stay there again and again! :-)

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

Beautiful La Jolla getaway.
    • Veranda Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Rooms don't have great sound insulation. You can hear on either side and above.

Beautiful property, lovely clean rooms, awesome pool area, great food/wine.

• Reviewed: 7 April 2017

Ups and downs

Housekeeping failed to clean our room on the first of three nights we spent there. It required us to be vigilant the rest of the time we spent there. This greatly reduced our impression of the hotel.

We used the shuttle quite a bit. Dixon was extremely accommodating and gave us great recommendations. 4 stars to him!!! In addition, the doormen and check-in staff were gracious.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

The hotel looks great and is very clean and very well...

Checking-in was a bit of a hassle, they didn't give me the room I had reserved (room for 3 people) and tried to charge extra when we were moved to a room with 2 queen beds instead of a king. They also tried to charge for parking, even though it had been agreed at check-in that it would be free. Restaurant for breakfast was good but expensive.

The hotel looks great and is very clean and very well maintained.

Poor service

I called a week ahead and asked to switch king to two queens and was told no problem. Co worker and I arrived and were told that they only had king or queen room with broken AC. "so those are your options" was what the guy told me. Room was right next to a loud door, broken ac and sink that didn't drain and backed up plumbing. $300

Gorgeous grounds

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

This hotel is a beautiful place to escape!

The dinner was very pricey. The pork tacos were good but I expected more for the price. They arrived all alone--not even any chips or salsa or anything green, no beans, no nothing.

The grounds were peaceful and beautiful.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

Our room location was first floor and in a corner so no view...
    • Veranda King Room

See above. Got these boxes backwards. The positive was beautiful grounds, very nice staff- curteous and helpfu.

Our room location was first floor and in a corner so no view at all and "patio"nonfunctional given location. Would definitely request 3rd floor for any future stay

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Beautiful hotel set in lush grounds with unfailingly attentive staff
    • Veranda King Room

Staff were incredibly attentive and helped create a memorable weekend to celebrate our engagement. We returned to our room to find rose petals spread on the floor and bed, together with a chilled bottle of champagne and chocolates. A phenomenal effort by all involved. Spa and pool were set in superb spaces to promote maximum relaxation. The room was well appointed, spacious and the bed was extremely comfortable.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

We were given a handicapped- accessible room, which...
    • Estate Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

We were given a handicapped- accessible room, which didn't have a tub, just a shower head and area separated by a curtain. We weren't told this at check in and had already unpacked and gotten comfortable when we realized we didn't have a tub. My husband and kids enjoy soaking in a tub but we didn't want to have to pack again and move. That was the only disappointing aspect of the trip.

• Reviewed: 17 September 2016

Good, not great...

We were put in an accessible room right next to the restaurant. Not sure why when they were plenty of extra rooms. The reason I know this is the front desk clerk spent several minutes trying to sell us an upgraded room. We've stayed at many resorts and have been upgraded; but can't every remember being asked to purchase an upgraded room, it felt inappropriate. And then the clerk puts us in the room I described above. Needless to say, we changed rooms. And, location is not great.

The facility was nice, but we thought it was overpriced with a $25 resort fee and $30 parking/night. When we checked in we were not told about the resort fee. There was a bottle of wine in the room which was nice. We called the front desk before we opened it to confirm it was complimentary and we were told it was. When we checked out and inquired about the resort fee, we were told it was for the water refresh service, and bottle of wine. So not complimentary....

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

Good location and nice environment

Too expensive. I think you pay (SPA) services that I did not use. My mistake for not choosing the hotel for my needs. Also my room was in a first floor with no elevators and had to carry heavy luggage by the stairs

Good location and nice environment

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

Do not waste your money

Bottle of wine was not switched to non alcoholic as offered, parking was an issue - turns out room keys were not properly coded (found this out at check out), entry way light didn't work, coffee machine was broken, mold on some tile in bathroom, bath tub stopper covered with rust. Absolutely disappointed with this place -

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

Overall very nice hotel
    • Veranda Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

With young kids, I needed a small fridge to store milk in our room, and there is no fridge in hotel rooms at la Estancia ! only wine cooler which are not cold enough to store milk or perishable items. We travel a lot in very nice hotels, and that's the first time that there is no fridge in a hotel room. but the worst thing is that when we asked, they offered to bring a fridge in the room and to charge us USD 15/ day for it, which is absolutely crazy !? seriously ? Also, there are many events (corporate, weddings) organized in la Estancia. During our 5 nights-stay, we saw 4 events. That was okay until they closed the pool area one day for a private event...

Property is very nice. Beautiful gardens and outdoor areas. Rooms are nice. Pool area is very nice, pool is big. Location is nice in La Jolla.

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

Beautiful!

Much better than expected. The pictures are gorgeous, but the grounds are even more so in person. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful! We'll be back very soon!

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

The hotel grounds are beautiful, the food is good, and the...
    • Estate King Room

The noise insulation between rooms was poor, so it almost felt like our (noisy) neighbors were inside our room.

The hotel grounds are beautiful, the food is good, and the bedrooms are nicely set up.

• Reviewed: 30 July 2016

Cozy stay over priced relaxation
    • Estate King Room

Did not offer any champagne when we arrived at the hotel like all the reviews and when I read the site for it. Service at front desk was slow as well

The wine bottle in the room

• Reviewed: 22 July 2016

Review would have been better but they have really poor...

Review would have been better but they have really poor customer service for billing matters. They also charge $25 for parking and $25 for a resort fee each day, so add that to your rate shown on Booking.com.

very satisfait, great food, great resort, calm and beautiful a bit more care would be nice.

rooms need clearly to be refreshed

the breakfast buffet on weekends was exceptional great pool (not very clean though)

Good restaurant and spa facilities

Needs to be refreshed..

Good restaurant and spa facilities

The grounds at Estancia- La Jolla are impeccably kept in the...
    • Veranda King Room

The grounds at Estancia- La Jolla are impeccably kept in the manner of a luxurious tropical resort!

My trip to San Diego

Everything!

Everything!

Pampered

No complaints

Beautiful local property is beautiful and clean

clean

clean

Pleasantly surprised
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The location was outstanding!

Had a nice, relaxing stay.

Fitness room very small and outdated.

Nice, clean quiet rooms. Staff really helpful and friendly. Complimentary bottle of wine every day.

The environment was very clean and the staff very friendly

Pool, hot tub, restaurant

Pool, hot tub, restaurant

Short but sweet
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The manager Micheal was top notch

The restaurant was terrible, they were understaffed and made...

The bed was lopsided

The restaurant was terrible, they were understaffed and made a horrible margarita

I would certainly stay at the hotel again- The valet gentlemen were wonderful!
    • Veranda Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Rooms are on the smaller side.

Property And grounds are beautiful.