Reviews of Excelsior Hotel 3 stars

45 West 81st Street, Upper West Side, New York, NY 10024, USA

#203 of 415 hotels in New York

5.6

• Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds

I would have liked a coffeemaker in the room.

It was very convenient to everything we wanted to see. The doorman was very helpful about our subway questions.

• Classic Queen Room

Really? you are still charging most customers for internet? we got comped since we used Booking.com but everyone else pays a nominal but annoying amount.

Great location - convenient to Lincoln Center, theaters (about 1.5 mile walk but its along Central Park West, so a nice walk), very convenient for Natural History Museum and Hayden Planetarium and just across Central Park from the Met. Rooms are large for Manhattan. Very quiet and clean. Would definitely stay again!

• Superior Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

Reception shared no details upon check-in. We didn't know there was a breakfast area located on the second floor! If you want a refrigerator in your room, you must reserve one with additional fee added to your bill.

Our goal was to be within close proximity to my close friends who live on W 81st Street. My daughter and I shared an executive queen suite which gave us plenty of room, comfortable beds and a small though functional bathroom. Location, location! Walk to Central Park, Zabars, Madison Ave., great shopping, great neighborhood. We were both amazed at how quiet (lack of street noise) our room was. Good bang for the buck. We will be book this hotel again.

• Superior Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

It's a bit run down. Sorry, but it is. Far from it's glory days as a luxury hotel. It's safe. It's brilliantly located, but it's dark and sad and in need of an upgrade.

The staff is lovely and the cleaning people do a good job. Front desk personnel are friendly and accommodating.

• Classic Queen Room

Very pleased with the Excelsior Hotel. Perfect location for restaurants, bars, shopping, Central Park and directly across the street from the American Museum of Natural History. Bed was exceptionally comfortable. Everything was immaculate. Stated on 12th floor. Great city view. My only thought was the air conditioner was a little weak, but we managed. We did call and request someone come look at it. we waited a bit, but then went on our excursions. Not sure if anyone came or not. But again, it did work, just not as good as I would have liked. The staff very friendly, and quick witted, making you feel very relaxed and at home. Another added bonus: having stayed in other NYC hotels, the elevators can be small and very slow. Not here, spacious and swift. Will go again. A great weekend!

• Superior Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

This is my second time staying in this hotel and all I can say is AMAZING! Everything from the staff, the room, the location is just great. The hotel is in the perfect location for everything, right next to the subway, Central Park and the Natural History Museum. I will never stay anywhere else!

• Classic Queen Room

Comfortable bed/sheets, clean well maintained bathroom, plenty of hot water, well maintained hotel.

Clean , friendly, good location, nice decor ... in a city which is usually so very expensive for very below par accommodations.

• Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds

No free WiFi, no coffee maker in the room, no complimentary breakfast that I was told I was getting, rude staff at the desk at check in and check out, the clock in the room was not set, and a few other little things, that, when taken together lead me to think I will not stay there again.

• Classic Queen Room

The tile in the shower/tub could have been cleaner, but I would definitely stay at the Excelsior again.

Very comfortable bed, location! Directly across from Museum of Natural History and a block from Central Park. Quiet, lovely neighborhood, and plenty of subway stops to get downtown.

• Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds

I really would have liked some access to coffee in the morning. There was no coffee in the room, in the lobby, or available to buy (no room service at all in the hotel). I had to walk to get some. I even had tea with me and there were no cups available to use at the hotel--I went to the front desk to ask to borrow one and she couldn't even find a paper cup to give me (this was at night).

Spacious room and fantastic location. Wonderful view! Very nice staff.

• Superior Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

The water pipes squealed loudly in a high pitch throughout one’s shower. I can only imagine what the next door guest must have thought.

Comfortable beds, well appointed and pleasant room. We had a room facing inside rather than a street facing one, so it was very quiet-absolutely no street noise. We loved the Latin restaurant ajoining the hotel for dinner and drinks. The location is great for many shops, restaurants, museums and a nice neighborhood feel.

• Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds

Not to pay for wi-fi service

Staff very nice & helpful. Didn’t dine in their restaurant so I can’t rate it . Location was great for our plans . Clean & comfortable room

• Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds

No coffee or tea in room I stayed 3 nights, each day I had to call for towel and wash cloths. The room was not prepared for 4 adults (4 towels and wash cloths) although I paid for 4 adults.

Cleanliness, bed comfort, view, location, elevators , small comfy chairs in room, loved the pretty tiled bathrooms and decor

• Classic Queen Room

Had to pay for WiFi in your room.

Location wonderful with many restaurants and shops nearby . Loved being across the street from natural history museum. Subway stop convenient to hotel. All employees delightful. Very Good restaurant in the lobby. Free WiFi in lobby. Love the upper west side. Close to Central Park.

• Classic Queen Room

Down sides? Three come to mind: (1) The desk (and I'm glad that the rooms do provide a writing desk) certainly should have come with a desk lamp. It didn't. (2) I didn't really need it on a warm May weekend, but I noticed that the heat in my room would not work (whereas the cooling system, which I did require, did work). (3) It IS a painfully expensive hotel, if you're on a budget, and that great breakfast is not included: it costs an extra $17.00 per day. (Well worth it, though.) Now, to be sure, everything in New York is expensive, and the location and amenities are worth paying for, but still, it's a BIG outlay, if you're not used to exorbitant NY prices, and I'm really not.

This hotel has, without a doubt, THE finest location in New York City. Bar none. No comparison. It might as well be called "The American Museum of Natural History Hotel" because it is steps -- literally just STEPS -- away from that museum, which happens to be the finest museum in the U.S.A., to say nothing of the finest in New York, and THE top reason to see the city. (Really, be prepared to spend two full days exploring the AMNH -- it's that good.) Better still, NY's second-greatest museum, the Met, is just a 15-min. walk directly across Central Park. Moreover, the New York Historical Society is right beside the AMNH (!). Even the Frick Collection is just a 20 min. walk away, across the park. And to top it all off, the hotel is right beside a subway station (which even bears the name, "Museum of Natural History" -- that's how close it is!), making Penn Station just a short subway ride away. In short, for its unbeatable location alone, I would never consider staying at any other hotel in New York. It's the only choice. Now, the hotel decor is opulent and historic (a 19th-century style perfectly in keeping with its perhaps unintentional AMNH theme) and the comfortable rooms are nicely done up in warm browns and dark reds. From my room I had a lovely view of Theodore Roosevelt Park and the AMNH beside it. The breakfast was so lavish (eggs, bacon, sausages, etc. -- everything you could ask for) that it could fill you up for practically the whole day, certainly making lunch redundant, and necessitating just a small meal for dinner.

No complaint

Staff were exceptionally nice and helpful throughout our stay-notably Candace on the desk and Peter our porter who were very kind to us. .

• Superior Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

Very nice ambience. Had a warm European feel. Seemed very up to date and well kept. We had a room with double beds and a sitting room, which was spacious. Location was perfect! Quiet yet convenient to everything.

• Superior Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

The staff were very friendly and accommodating. The property is a bit tired, and the room size is what you expect in NYC, but the location is fantastic and I found it worth the price compared to other options in that area.

• Superior Junior Suite with King Bed

Pipes in the restroom were very loud. Woke up several times during the night when my neighbors flushed.

I got the room for $300/night - not too bad. Breakfast is pretty basic, but the price is $17 only. I think it’s a deal.

• Classic Queen Room

The bathroom was quite small, but still adequate, clean and stocked with nice soap, shampoo, conditioner, q-tips, etc.

The woman at the reception desk at check in was a delight. We were tired and it was late. My husband mentioned to me that he was thirsty and a minute later we were presented with two large cold bottles of water. I had booked a standard queen room; however, I'm pretty sure we were given an upgrade as our room was in fact two rooms, a bedroom with a king bed and a separate sitting room. All very nice!

• Classic Queen Room

The room was a little hot, even after I put on the air conditioning (the temps were changing because of spring so this is understandable). The one thing was that the HVAC system rattled every so often, so sometimes it did disturb my sleep.

The hotel was generally very clean and comfortable. I was upgraded to a junior suite upon arrival and they were even able to get me into my room early, which was fantastic. The beds were comfortable, the wifi worked very well. I would definitely stay here again if the price was right.

• Superior Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

No minibar in the room, and not many choices for breakfast.

The location is excellent, the staff was very nice and helpful and the room was spacious and comfortable.

• Classic Queen Room

Last year we had suite for same rate. Would have liked the extra space. No coffee pot in the room and no room service.

The room was nice & the lobby is great. Location is terrific. Loved Calle Ocho.

• Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds

Everything was fine, except for the pillows being too hard and the climate control unit being very noisy. But those are minor flaws. We were very happy with our stay overall.

Location, cleanliness, quietness

• Classic Queen Room

One of the days I went to the reception to ask a couple of questions, the person there was really rude, he looked me with such an unfriendly tone and expression, it was weird. The same during the check in.

The Location was great. Breakfast was very tasty, the bad thing is that is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.

• Classic Queen Room

Coffee making facilities would have been good..I like a coffee first thing to wake me up, plenty places nearby though.

Location was great..a little bit out of Times Square this time and loved the area..bed was big and comfortable, rooms very clean and quiet..

• Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds

If you just want coffee in the morning without eating breakfast, you cannot use the breakfast room and coffee is served in a disposable cup. Although there are 4 seats just outside the breakfast room, I cannot understand why you can't sit in the breakfast room when most tables are unoccupied. No coffee making facilities in the bedroom.

A nice hotel, conveniently located and at a good price. Tastefully furnished in a traditional way, and room was a reasonable size and very comfortable. Staff at reception were friendly and quite helpful. Restaurant is good, especially if you like Latin American and especially Cuban food. We would definitely stay again!

• Superior Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

Kids had a great view of the American Museum of Natural History and a short walk to central park; if you are going to this Museum or the Park with kids, stay here.

• Superior Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

This room was not in the same good shape as the usual room in this hotel. It really needs an update.

This hotel is a favorite place to stay in NYC. It’s very clean, great location and good service.

• Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds

There were pieces of an old cookie under my bed when se arrived and the room was quite dirty. Not the funniest area of Manhattan. Close to the subway station though many of the trains were express and didn't stop at 81st street.

The room was big and had seperate beds. The staff were helpful and friendly. It was right next to Central park

• Classic Queen Room

The rooms are small, the atmosphere is dingy, and there aren't really any amenities to speak of. The rooms had a strong chemical cleanser smell that gave us both headaches. The rooms don't have fridges or coffee makers, and if you ask for some hot water they just offer to bring you an electric kettle (but no cups for some reason…) Worst of all, they do not provide WiFi. That is extra. Incredibly stupid for a hotel to still charge for WiFi service. And the shower water pressure was really lousy.

The hotel is in a good location — The Upper West Side is a great neighborhood, and the hotel is very close to subways, museums (the AMNH is across the street), and Central Park is right down the block. Plus there's a lot of shopping and food in the area. If you have a south-facing room you will probably get a decent view of the city.

• Superior Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

We had a quiet room away from the street; there wasn't a view, but I'd rather have a good night's sleep than a street view! The room was comfortable and clean - excellent daily housekeeping! It was just the two of us, but our two children could easily have stayed with us in the double/double suite; the French doors between the sitting room (with pull-out) and the bedroom make the room well-suited for a small family.

• Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds

facility is kind of antique, staff are just so-so, not so friendly. like everything else in new york, everything is almost antique, but people think they are center of universe. LOL

very clean. close to central park, and subway.

• Classic Queen Room

Air conditioner coming on in the middle of the night even when we turned it off. Paying for WiFi. No clear instruction why premium WiFi cost more.

Peter the bellboy was very nice. We also liked the up to date iPhone dock/speaker and the speed of the Internet.

• Superior Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

Impossibile to use Wi-Fi. Incredibile but the breakfast room is closed on monday and tuesday when there are little guests. Unacceptable for a 3 star hotel. Even if for NY standards the price is supposed to be good I think this hotel is overrated.

Perfect position next to central park and metro. Also nice neighbourhood with many rsstaurants. Room was very big, and bed was good.

• Classic Queen Room

the front desk staff was not very friendly however helpful.

location homey room breakfast wast good 2nd floor restaurant staff was great(the lady with short hair was friendly and very helpful)

• Deluxe King Suite

Staff attitude was terrible. As if doing you a favor whenever they were "bothered". The facility is run down. Air conditioning makes a horrible noise.

Room was large and clean. Breakfast nice.

• Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds

The front desk guy was rude when we checked-in. Was one of those guy who doesn't have the right people skill for the role.

It was easy to move around manhatan. B & C subways lines right across the Hotel. The room was clean and the beds amazing. The Calle 8 restaurant inside the same Hotel was really good.

• Superior Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

The toilet in the room above was stuck in the flush mode all night 2 of the 5 nights we stayed there. So every 30 seconds it would come on and run. The pipes were right next to my head board so I had a hard time sleepging. I even slept with my head at the foot of the bed to get my head from the head board. I could still hear it. We stayed in a very nice 2 room suite. In both rooms the TV cable was not working for 3 major stations so we missed the end of the Olympics and major news stations we usually watch.

Excellent location. Classy hotel.

• Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds

Last time I stayed at the Excelsior I had a bright and airy room facing the Museum of Natural History. This time I was “upgraded” to a small suite facing an air shaft. I would have preferred a room facing the Museum. I would have liked a small fridge and coffee maker in the room.

Location is great. The fitness room had decent equipment in good working order.

No view from the room.

Loved the big room with a bonus sitting area and second tv -- was not expecting a suite. Great proximity to the Central Park and many shops and restaurants.

• Classic Queen Room

No morning coffee in room. Must go to the buffet or leave hotel. Coffee pot in room would be sweet for those who just relax early on the weekend, like us! A small thing that means VERY much to us!

Great location! Old building facade but inside has been totally updated to a very high & beautiful level. Extremely nice, helpful staff. Very Comfortable, clean bed/rooms. Felt like a get-away Haven. An excellent value for the cost. Very near History Museum, Central Park, and Lincoln Center.

• Classic Queen Room

Quite expensive. The interior is a little older and the rooms are quiet small. Breakfast was unfortunately also not included in the price. Basic items which are usually for free (e.g., a bottle of water, coffee, tea) were not available in the room but had to be bought for a lot of money.

Location is great since it is close to a metro station, the american museum of natural history and the central park. The view from my room on the 9th floor was stunning. After a busy day in the city, the room invites to relax in a quiet atmosphere. Around the museum, there are also some food options available.

• Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds

No coffeemaker, microwave or mini fridge in room. Coffee was available in the breakfast room starting at 7am but I would have liked it earlier than that.

Super quiet at night. Safe and convenient neighborhood. Great access to public transportation (C train, 1 train, several bus stops). Easy trip to Broadway, Lincoln Center, and the Met Museum. Hotel was clean as a whistle. Our room was a suite, which I did not request but was perfect for three adult travelers. It was lovely to have a separate sitting area. Also had a city view without paying extra for it!

• Classic Queen Room

Perhaps room decor needs some updating but not a deterrent. We have also stayed in single queen room which is very small and somewhat oppressive after 2 days.

Location is terrific for our needs. A walk through the park brings us to east side museums. Close to Lincoln Center, Juilliard, movies, plentiful West Side restaurants, subway.

• Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds

I couldn't get the paid Wi-Fi to work so I ended up spending $20 on additional data passes with my cell plan. The heater made loud banging sounds in the night. The bathroom had no exhaust fan and was directly off the bedroom (about a foot away from the foot of one of the beds), so there wasn't great privacy. Cleaning could have been more thorough--we found a used Snapple bottle left from a previous guest, and a few hairs in the bathroom. While this sounds like a lot of complaints, overall they were pretty minor issues and I would stay here again.

Charming hotel in a great location. The room was larger than I expected. Good value for the money. Staff were terrific and let us check in early. Great location for walking to the Met through Central Park. Great neighborhood; lots of good, reasonably priced (for New York) restaurants a short walk from the hotel. Overall a terrific stay.

• Superior Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

The Excelsior's website states that they have a full time concierge and a breakfast buffet. This was NOT the case. Apparantly, this time of year is their slow season so they cut way back on important amenities and staff. Not having a concierge to help with show tickets, reservations and other various advice was sorely missing. Additionally, because their 2nd floor restaurant is closed this time of year, the only coffee you could get was black...no cream or sugar was available. The lobby was nice but not conducive to our group being able to congregate and visit with each other. I was told by some in our party that if the pull out couch in the suites was used (there's a seal on it), there was an extra $20 fee charged to the room. This was another item that we were unaware of before arriving.

The hotel is in the Upper West Side of Manhatten, right next to Central Park and across the street from the American Museum of Natural History. It's in a great neighborhood, a few blocks from some nice breakfast and lunch eateries. The bell hops were very helpful and gave several good tips to start our weekend. The rooms are spacious and very clean, the bathroom is bright and roomy and very clean as well. The beds are comfortable. Parking is convenient and reasonably priced.... The Excelsior has an arrangement with the museum for parking so it's a good deal for NYC and easy to do. Calle Ocho is a wonderful restaurant; accessible through the hotel lobby but is NOT affiliated with the hotel.

• Classic Queen Room

To my surprise, this hotel turned out better than I thought it would for the price. Staff was friendly, our room was very clean, and our stay was very affordable. We spent a long weekend here to catch the David Hockney exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum. This hotel was perfect for that! A short, wonderful walk through Central Park to get to the museum. We also enjoyed the Cuban restaurant attached to the hotel. Food was very tasty and the bartenders were very friendly. A nice place to hang out late in the evening when you want to have a night cap before going back to your room. We really enjoyed our stay and will definitely stay here again for future visits to NYC.

• Classic Queen Room

Internet is not free limited facilities in the room - no coffee machine

great location; everything in the room was clean and functional; fitness room was in good condition the hotel staff was friendly and accommodated to our requests

• Classic Queen Room

We were upgraded to a suite which was beyond our expectations. The room was lovely, roomy and elegant, with a luxurious feel. The robes and bathroom amenities made an overnight stay into a vacation.

• Classic Queen Room

There was no facility to make a cup of tea or coffee and they should provide free bottles of water. I didn’t like the fact that one had to pay for a bottle of water or use a coffee machine for a cup of coffee.

Comfortable bed and clean room

• Classic Queen Room

No onsite coffee other than at their breakfast buffet, which is closed on Mon/Tue. However there are independent coffee shops within 1-2 minutes' walk that open at 7, and Starbucks opens at 6am. Not a deal-breaker for us.

The hotel is in a great location for local bars/ restaurants and was affordable given the comparison options in NYC. We've stayed many times as we visit family in the area who don't have extra space. Nice big rooms for family groups. This trip we were just a couple so we tried a queen bed room - one of their smallest, but quite fine and not cramped. The Excelsior is a dependable, basic place; do not expect a lot of concierge services, and you'll be happy with the clean rooms, comfy beds, and nice location. We also have enjoyed several meals at Calle Ocho, the restaurant which you enter through the lobby.

• Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds

For the price that we paid, it was ridiculous that the rooms did not provide even 1 bottles of free water, a coffee maker or a refrigerator. These are little amenities that make a hotel enjoyable and comfortable. When we arrived, our room was cold. We needed to crank the heat to make it comfortable. The light by the bed did not work. I thought it was the light bulb, so I replaced it. It was the light itself. This made it difficult to read. We also like when a hotel offers newspapers, a hot tub and working ice machines. Again, for the amount of money paid, I don't think it was worth it.

The staff was friendly. The bed was comfortable. The hotel is close to the Central Park, which is an amazing place. We found this hotel to be quiet.

• Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds

The size of the room and proximity to the Natural History Museum. We also liked that we could park across the street and it was reasonable. The bathroom was nice and we had plenty of towels.

• Classic Queen Room

The hotel was a little out dated but common for that area.

The room was of a good size and the restaurant was amazing. This hotel was value for money and in a good location.

• Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bathroom water doesn’t get very hot which generally wouldn’t bother me but when it’s snowing outside you just want to sit in a hot bath. Also the heater/air con is extremely loud you could probably hear it from the bottom floor.

The location was really good. Room was big. Amazing view

• Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds

No wifi in room unless you pay. Free wifi in reception

Location. Lovely views, Central Park across the road. Subway 2 min walk but we walked most days. Times sq is 42nd street, hotel is 81st street and took approx 30 min to walk in but walk in was nice as in the hustle and bustle of things. We had 11yr daughter with us and it was nice to be a little bit out of main activity but still close to walk. Rooms are clean and plenty big for 3 of us

• Superior Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

Toilet bowl was way lower than normal height and quite uncomfortable for even average height adults.

Cleanliness of the hotel. Everything sparkled. Room was large and very comfortable. Breakfast buffet was good value.

• Classic Queen Room

Staff is not customer friendly, they didn't even provided a spoon when asked, and suggested that we should buy it from out side. Front office behavior is robotic and poor.

• Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds

There are homeless people staying on three floors of this hotel, and they charge $450 for the room we stayed in. The hotel is tired needs a major overhaul., it is loud in the lobby due to the restaurant. The bathrooms need updating as they have a big step to get into the bathroom due to never really gutting the bathrooms and adding layers to make it look good, and are unusually small. The halls are dirty. We drove and are elderly and the bellhop did not help us with our car.

the front desk morning staff was nice

• Deluxe King Suite

no coffee maker in room, the restaurant was booked for private party both evenings we were at the hotel - bummer, did not really want to go out in the snow storm. Also the vending machines were not well stocked.

large room with separate sitting room, extremely comfortable. amazing space in NYC. great location.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel staff (front desk staff) are terrible, immensely rude. They all look like they hate working there so they treat clients as bad as possible

Excellent location, near subway and Central Park. Nice accommodation and clean rooms.

• Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds

The attitude of several male members of the staff (front desk) was far from perfect, often being a bit condescending and at times bordering on rude. Also the building itself needs a lot of restorative work, it might have been quite a place 30 years ago, but now the whole hotel (and especially the elevators) need to be updated and refreshed. The area is quite boring with few interesting restaurants or bars nearby. Only recommended for business travelers.

Price of the hotel was acceptable.

• Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds

Had a great view looking out to north Manhattan. Half a block from the subway and Central Park. Friendly staff. My third time staying at the Excelsior and I plan to return.

• Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds

I have stayed here many times and I have always had a great experience. On this occasion they let me check in 2 hours early. The staff are great and the hotel is very clean.

• Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds

Location and friendly staff. We were there for the Macy’s Day Parade and Inflation Celebration. Could not have asked for a more perfect location. Balloons were inflated right outside the doors to the hotel.

• Superior Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

Room was so hot that we turned on the air conditioning to sleep, even though it was the end of November. Third night, the HVAC suddenly started banging and emitting very hot air. In-room safe didn't work.

Location is excellent! Half a block to the subway and Central Park. Very clean! We had a room away from the street, so it was very quiet. Plenty of room for 2. Will definitely recommend this hotel to friends.

• Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds

The first room hadn't been properly cleaned so we asked to move. The aircon didn't work in the second room.

The location is excellent, really nice area

• Classic Queen Room

The breakfast room was terribly depressing and the breakfast staff was not friendly. The front desk staff could not have cared less.

The breakfast room was terribly depressing and the staff was not friendly.

No hot drink making facilities In the room and high charge for drinking water. The bathrooms were very small and old looking with cracks on the toilet seat and a stained bath.

The beds were very comfortable.

• Superior Junior Suite with King Bed

it should have had an electric jug (or kettle) in the room (reception provided us with one) to make an early morning coffee or tea and a small mini fridge to keep wine and milk cool.

Location, beautiful room, great view over the ANHM and the friendly staff

Complimentary and/or better coffee in the am. One can buy coffee a la carte in the breakfast room but it's disappointing. For breakfast, we went out as there are good options in the neighborhood.

Really convenient location; parking is about as nearby and affordable as it gets in Manhattan; suites work well for having three young adult siblings in one room.

Paying $6 for internet in the room after paying for the daily charge

The people at the front desk were very friendly and helpful. The gentleman helping with the luggage was very kind and helpful.

• Classic Queen Room

It was 30-40 degrees outside. They blasted the heat 24/7 so that we had to run the air conditioner all night. Heard many other people make the the same complaint. The facility is old, but clean. The staff didn't seem to care much about the guests. Had to pay extra daily for Wifi.

The location was excellent!

• Superior Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

Great part of the city, great parking spot right outside the door!!

Bell men were excellent! Friendly, helpful and accomodating. Front desk and restaurant not as much. We were being tolerated by them, and it was very evident in tone and manner.

Browse Excelsior Hotel traveller photo gallery