Reviews of Founders Inn and Spa 4 stars

5641 Indian River Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23464, USA

#5 of 105 hotels in Virginia Beach

• Queen Room

I couldn’t check in on time my room wasn’t ready the reception really was confused never had wash clothes the inside pool needed more supervision way too many people in it at one time

It was beautiful place

Our particular room was small and the colonial decor appeared outdated.

My family loved the beautiful scenery! The property surrounding Founders Inn were just as amazing.

• Queen Room

Check in took over 45 minutes and my room was not ready even though they were aware of a late arrival. No one showed us to our room, the room keys didn't work, the girl checking us in asked if we were checking out the next day, we didn't have towels or wash clothes in the rest room even though she sent someone to check on the room. Poor customer service for the night staff.

My brother's wedding was here and it was beautiful. The dog park was great for my puppy. The supervisor that I spoke with was very understanding and accommodating. The check out service was amazing. I wish he was there all the time.

• Queen Room

Some of the staff members at front desk were not as responsible as they should have been. Breakfast wasn't the best for that price

Rooms were really clean. The environment of the hotel was very peaceful and quite.

This hotel is so quiet! We were quite comfortable in our room with 2 queen beds. The breakfast buffet was great! We were very happy that they are pet-friendly and they even have a very large Bark Park for our two dogs to run and play several times each day. The pool (both inside and outdoor) were great... very clean and there were lifeguards. The grounds are very well maintained and the gardens are beautiful.

• Queen Room

Bed was not comfortable. Rooms seemed very outdated. Only 1 person working the desk.

Clean, great location. It was perfectly fine. Just nothing fancy. We didn’t have time to use amenities.

• Queen Single (Main Building)

The sink in the bathroom had a leak. The leak caused thin line of water to flow across the threshold. I checked the source and noticed that a sloppy patch job had been performed where the main valve was located(under sink/against wall). If I were not wearing my glasses going into bath area I could have slipped and fallen. When I advised the hotel they did come and repair it (clean job this time) promptly.

Clean room. Very helpful staff. Close to highway/beaches. Great gym.

• Queen Room

The foyer into the hallways had a musty or old smell.

Staff was great! Rooms were nice. Loved the bathroom and additional well lit sink/mirror outside the bathroom.

• One-Bedroom Suite

Front desk staff and conflicting dicection/information from other staff. Bad check-in experience.

Beautiful property, but due to restricted area for pets was not able to walk the whole property.

• Queen Room

We stayed till Monday, so our room didn't get towels and bedding For Sunday night. Check out only had 1 person behind the desk.

Staff very friendly. Tony, the waiter and Katherine the manager were fantastic!

Nothing I can think of.

We were super impressed with this hotel! Absolutly the best value and so classy. Everything was top notch from the breakfast to the beautiful grounds and all the amenities, pool, spa, porches for just sitting and relaxing.

• Queen Room

It was not disclosed until I asked, that the property was connected to the Evangelist, Pat Robertson. As gay man, I was offended to find that fact hidden and am sorry that I contributed to his narrow minded beliefs. I fell horrible about that and had I known beforehand, would not have stayed there.

The hotel was well maintained.

• Queen Room

Our room smelled like bacon in an old boot. Staff sprayed vanilla in the room, by the time we were back from dinner it was back and even stronger. Decor is old and needs upgrading. For the price I will not be coming back. Manager did discount our room and give us free breakfast for our troubles.

• Queen Room

We saw our house keeping person about 4 rooms away around 10:15am the first morning, so we left thinking we would come back in about half an hour and they would be done. It took them over an hour to get to our room. Then the next morning around 9:20am (the day we were leaving) they gave us a hard time because we had not put the "do not disturb sign" on the door and they wanted to clean the room. We left the room less than 5 minutes later and the housekeeping staff was no where to be seen in the halls. The bus boys for meals were efficient and polite, but the waiters were hit or miss. I know the hotel itself cannot change this, but we had to walk through a cloud of smoke to get into our building every time. The AC units sound like a fire alarm when they first turn on. The good thing is the walls are pretty well insulated because we were not woken by other guests. The room looked like it had been cleaned recently, but the stairs had not been vacuumed in a long time. There were not a lot of food options on the menus, and what we did have we were not impressed with. The coffee express place is not a coffee shop-only has pre-brewed coffee with no staff. CAUTION to anyone with GLUTEN sensitivity or allergies: the meats at breakfast are resting on pieces of bread and the potatoes are breaded.

Property is right off the highway.

• Queen Room

House keeper left cleaning supplies in our room, the phone in the room didn’t work, bed not comfortable, and the towels were not replenished when room cleaned. Called for towels at 5pm and had to go get them at front desk at 10pm since they never brought them to our room when asked!!! Never offered anything for all this either. Bad hospitality!!!!! Didn’t offer pre check in and had to wait 2 hours for a room while others were offered pre check in.

• Queen Room

This time our room was located further away from the center, main gardens, on the fourth floor facing the roof (no view). The ice machine, next door wasn't working and you could hear the door slam as people went in and out. The small fridge had frozen all our drinks and food we brought (was like a freezer) and there were tiny spiders in the room!

This was the second time we stayed. We booked again because of the grounds and the property reminded us of Colonial Williamsburg, VA. Beautiful gardens.

• Queen Room

They placed me in the dog-friendly lodge without my knowledge and consent. I have pet dander allergies.

I had a problem with my room and it’s location, however, when I notified staff the matter was resolved within 20 minutes. Courteous and excellent customer service.

• Queen Room

Rooms lighting should be higher.. It is not enough...

located near the university.. There is a pool.. Walking area is amazing.. Very peaceful place.. Rooms are very comfortable..

• Queen Room

The rooms were comfortable and the staff was friendly, professional and attentive. The grounds are gorgeous and beautifully landscaped. We stayed there in mid May and enjoyed wonderful weather - sunny clear days with temps in the 80's. The restaurant in the hotel had excellent food and the value for the money for the hotel room was outstanding.

• Queen Room

There was a lot of signage at the lodge I stayed in. I read it all as I entered the stairwell and it was informative, but most guests I observed didn't read. In the elevator, they had questions and I answered them because I had the time to stand and read. Also, the cafe where the complimentary coffee is offered needs refurbishing. I say this because the sour odor tells me so. Perhaps just the carpet needs replacing. It's a turn-off and I walked out.

I didn't eat on the property. The bed was very comfortable and I credit that to the mattress topper and plush pillows. My room looked as though it was newly updated and was small and intimate for me.

• Queen Room

The food menu at the Swan needs to be updated to add more items. The chicken dish was very skimpy for the price but the wait staff were courteous.

Staff were very kind.

• Queen Room

for the price and "reputation" of the hotel I was a little shocked that there was no microwave in the room. ...it was down the hall? seemed strange. walls are super thin!

• Junior Suite with Fireplace

We were not told about dog show there that weekend....noise from dogs on our floor during our stay. Outside the most convenient entrance to our room we often had to negotiate through a crowd of smokers and cigarette butts. Curtain was hanging off the window in our room upon arrival. We had to call for face cloths. Staff did not replenish soap and shampoo after the first night and the shower door leaked water into the bathroom. No one asked on checkout about our stay.

Grounds were well maintained. Gardens and walking paths were attractive and accessible. Morning buffet breakfast and service staff at the breakfast were very good.

• Queen Single (Main Building)

The battery on my room door went dead preventing me from getting into my room and I had to wait for the technician to come and fix it before I could get back into my room.

• Queen Room

Not enough lighting, but I have vision problems so there's never enough light! I would have loved to stay longer but due to scheduling of family affairs we only had one night available.

We liked every thing! Great location, friendly staff. The breakfast was very good and plentiful. I'm not going to say how old I am but I was born less than 5 miles from there and that area was just woods and fields back then..

• Queen Single (Main Building)

I was a bit disappointed in our cleaning service the next day. Our bed was made, shades were up, but the sink was not cleaned up, the room not vacuumed, and the iron I used was still out. I expected those things to be done especially since I left $2.00.

We really liked our room! It faced the pond and beautifully manicured landscape. The trees were lit up at night. Our room special included a buffet breakfast which was great!! Our bathroom was big....had two sinks, one inside with the tub and toilet, one outside near closet.

• Queen Room

It's a pet friendly hotel which is fine, but we just happened to have a guest next to us who had a small yipping dog that was very vocal both late nd early...(not a deal breaker)

Breakfast could have been a little more elaborate.

• Queen Single (Main Building)

The front desk staff. The staff who checked me did not welcome me to the facility; did not explain the loyalty program even after inquiry about one of the advertised items; and she was more engaged in talking to another guest who was waiting for someone at the counter and fellow staff than in welcoming me to the hotel and explaining its offerings. The staff that checked me out was friendlier but did not ask me about my stay and when I inquired about a receipt I was advised that I would receive my email, which I have not received.

The location and the hotel grounds.

• Queen Room

SWAN TERRACE EXPERIENCE WAS HORRIFIC AND SOURED OUR VALENTINES CELEBRATION, FIRST I WAS NOT TOLD THAT THERE WOULD ONLY BE ONE MENU FOR THE EVENING AS THE REATUARANT MANAGER CLAIMED WAS EMAILED WITH MY RESTAURANT CONFIRMATION, I PULLED UP THE EMAIL TO SHOW THAT IT WAS NOT INCLUDED, WE DECIDED TO STAY AND DINE ANYWAY. WAS SERVED COFFEE WITH NO CREAM, NO SUGAR OR SPOON. EACH ITEM HAD TO BE ASKED FOR AND WAS BROUGHT ONE AT A TIME, 1ST AND 2ND GLASS BROUGHT TO TABLE FOR BEER HAD SMUDGES AND FINGERPRINTS, THATS ONLY THE BEGINNING. TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT WE WERE SEATED AT 8PM AND LEFT AT 10:10PM WITH ONLY BEING SERVE COURSE 1&2 AND LUCKILY ARRIVING AT OUTBACK UP THE STREET AT 10:40PM WE WERE ABLE TO GET A TAKE OUT MEAL AND RETURN TO ROOM TO EAT AT 11:15PM. THE ONLY SAVING GRACE TO THE EVENING WAS THE WONDERFUL COUPLES MASSAGE AT THE SPA AND THE COMFORT OF OUR ROOM

• Queen Room

The rooms and decorations could stand to be updated but they’re still very nice.

Room service was good and very quick, the pet accommodations are TOP NOTCH, the bed was extremely comfortable, the staff were friendly and helpful, and there was plenty of convenient parking!!

Everything was perfect

My husband is a 100% disabled veteran. We always stay at founders inn. The staff in all areas goes above and beyond expectations. The beds and pillows are very comfortable. The breakfast is amazing with lots of healthy choices. My son had surgery and we asked to check in early. The room was ready when we arrived and everything was perfect.👏

• Queen Room

The day I stayed, breakfast ended a few minutes early but luckily there is a Waffle House across the street.

The bed was extremely soft and the scenery outside was absolutely amazing.

• Queen Room

The communication between the front desk and the restaurants concerning their hours of operation could have been better. Twice I was told by the front desk that the restaurant was open only to get there and find out that they were closed.

• Queen Room

I had a problem with unknown staff members trying to enter my room at 10pm without any reason. I went to the front desk to ask what was going on and no one could tell me why. Very scary for someone to unlock and enter my hotel door.

The bed was really comfortable. The shower felt great. Great channels on the tv. Warm rooms when the heat works

• Junior Suite with Fireplace

The 23% gratuity added already in and then tipping room service attendant. Tip equalled meal price. 2 x $14 breakfasts came to $51. The indoor pool wasn't available for resurfacing.

Everything was impressive.

• Junior Suite with Fireplace

Weird room service hours, can't get coffee for majority of the day and had to drive to swan terrace to pick up. Maybe open the coffee cafe all day or offer coffee in lobby? They didn't take our breakfast order off the door one night so never got it. A free included breakfast would be nice.

fireplace was great, everything clean, central air great, quiet room, nice gym, friendly and helpful staff

• Queen Double (Main Building)

The hot tub was cold and we booked breakfast so we could eat at the swan terrace to start out thanksgiving day off nice.. and when we went over we were told it was closed. The should have told us that when we checked in. It was a real let down.

Dog park and comforatble beds and heated pool. Deorations on trees and in lobby.

The lady at the reception put me next to a room with a barking dog. when i told her to switch me to a different room she gave me attitude and was not nice about that at all. She did not inform me that the entire building where my room was located is a pet lover building. i have no problem with animals ,i love dogs,but that dog next to my room did not stop barking all night. She told me to wait at the lobby and she will see if she can switch me a room.after 20 minutes of waiting she send some lady(at least she was nice)to give me a key to a different room. I stayed in this hotel for 6 nights. The 3rd night the next room had a loud TV and finally after i called the reception at 12:30 am cause i couldn't sleep,they also told me to wait 30 minutes before they can do something about that. i asked why do i need to wait until 1 am for them to do something about that,so they claim this is their policy. I was shocked because i am the type of a person that rarely complains and if i felt uncomfortable and felt the need to say something that's mean a lot. I am pretty sure i was not taking serious is the fact that English is not my first language even thou I'm a US citizen. I saw the way she talked to other guess which their first language was English. I read good reviews about this hotel prior to arriving and was looking forward to stay there,but i will not return to this place again.

The beds in the room. The view outside.

• Queen Room

Thin walls; could hear every room door that opened and anyone talking nearby. TV stations didn't work; seemed to be satellite and rarely had consistent quality. Breakfast was surprisingly expensive for simple meals (14 for bacon eggs and pancakes if memory serves.)

Close proximity to spa

• Queen Room

My room had a bathroom flood. A engineer came up plunge the toilet. Left out told us he was sending housekeeping up with towels to clean up the water. Housekeeper came up drop off about 4 towels for us to clean up the water. I was trying to get ready for my sister's wedding but gad to clean up a flooded bathroom housekeeping supervisor wouldn't clean up. So at check out I was telling the clerk and he was like ok but nothing was taking from the bill. And still had to call back for housekeeping to clean the room.

Beautiful scenery for a wedding in the garden. The hunt room and staff was great. Awesome staff at check desk.

Mo complaints.

Food on property is always excellent as is the service. Off site many places to eat and have been treated and fed well at those we visited.

• Queen Room

There was a housekeeping employee on the floor when we arrived at our room and she came to help immediately when I struggled with the door key. She also came in and switched the lights on, showed us the thermostat and asked if there was anything else she could do to help us. She made us feel welcomed. 😊

• Queen Single (Main Building)

Hunt Room Restaurant was poorly staffed. Food cold and not as described on menu. No sauce for appetizer and whipped cream missing from sundae Bathroom had mold on grout and hair in tub. Bedroom had discussing stain on wall.

Breakfast buffet was fantastic. Good food and good service

• Queen Single (Main Building)

I was made to wait for more than 10 minutes at check-in and check-out because there were only one staff at reception and didn’t call another staff...

Garden is beautiful

• Queen Single (Main Building)

Building set up was confusing! Charged for 100.00 in the shop that I didn't spend!

The room was clean and very inviting! Close to Dam Neck yet far enough away from the crowds

• Queen Room

The water pressure in the bathroom sink was very low and the hot water took a long time to heat.

The bed was very comfortable and the building we were in very quiet. While we did not use the spa or the pools, they were very convenient and the fitness center was well equipped.

Musty smell all over the place. Trash overflowing on the grounds. Front desk staff OK but should be better. Beth is clueless in the Swan restaurant. Carpet in room had sticky stuff on it.

The location was confusing. We arrived after dark and Siri deposited us in an empty parking lot on the campus of this college. If the signage was lit, it would have been easier to find...I had to call the front desk and beg a petulant teenage girl to explain where the hotel was. She was very annoyed at having to do something other than swipe credit cards. Pools were nice but only open until 8pm, which didn't give us much time to use them. Room Service pricing was misleading. They had ads all over the room for a $10 large pizza that they added several extra charges to, that I didn't find out about until after they printed out my credit card receipt

Beds were very comfortable, rooms were nice and clean, it was good value for VA Beach

• Queen Room

Great place to stay! We loved the property, especially the gardens...took some great pictures with Abby 😊 The pool was fantastic and so were the walking paths around the lake. Staff was very friendly and we enjoyed talking to Rick about the wildlife, he has some good stories about Abigail.

• Queen Room

Was a mixed up with our reservation when we arrived. I called to confirm and they stated that they had no room under our name. So I rebooked then when we arrived they had two reservations. After 40 minutes of phone calls and working with the hotel clerk we finally got everything straightened out. Wasn't a good way to start our night.

The breakfast buffet that was offered with our room was great! Many choices and better than other hotel breakfast that are included.

Sheets weren't laundered. Had someone's hair on multiple places. Food service was slow in evening and took over 40 min to get food. Inattentive wait staff next AM for breakfast. Had to ask for coffee and silver and water refills and the only time wait staff was attentive was at bill presentation.

Location to school. Food was good. Staff was nice.

• Queen Room

The bed was like a cloud, the best sleep ever. I wish the hot tub was bigger, I was wanting to soak and it was not a big hot tub. Hot tub was very popular. Our stay was awesome and we would love to come back. Rooms were so clean.

• Queen Room

I feel like my room could have been a little cleaner Dusty backboard and something left behind the bed and under the bed from the previous occupants

I like the food at the restaurant I liked the room for the most part the staff was very accommodating

I really have no complaints, would definitely stay there again.

The room was spotless, the bed very comfortable and although we were in the pet friendly building & there were a lot of guests on the property it was quiet. Grounds are well maintained, the pool (indoor & out) was awesome. Not only is the staff friendly but the guests staying on the property are also friendly. I met some very nice people over my 3 day stay.

• Queen Room

Not a fan of driving around VA Beach but not affecting your score at all. Only thing i noticed (which does not affect your score as well, just mentioning due to I have traveled quite a bit for business) was I would consider adding a pen and pad of paper to a drawer at the desk in the room, and a couple of dirty laundry bags to the closet.

Pretty much everything was good.

The room was nice, The shower was large and comfortable. The staff was very accommodating.The grounds were beautiful and the pool had a spiral slide which the kids enjoyed. The breakfast buffet was tasty and had a nice selection.

The beds were amazing!!! There was plenty of things for the kids to do. Very clean facility and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Very elegant but family friendly.

Wish there was a line in the bathroom to hang wet swim suits, and the pillows are small and very uncomfortable. When we come back, I will remember to bring my own.

Better than expected, staff were polite and very friendly. The grounds are well laid out. The rooms had more then enough space for me and my family (3 kids under 11 years and my wife). We stayed in the double queen room, and asked for a roll away bed. The gym is good enough to get a quick workout in, and the indoor pool was a good temperature and perfect for after the gym, for a few laps. Only stayed at the hotel for a few days, so we only had Breakfast the first day, and for a buffet style, the choices were very good, and the food was fresh. Emily, our waitress, was very friendly and was on top of the coffee refills.

• Queen Room

To be picky, you need a car to get to anything significant from here. But i suppose thats probably the point for this type of hotel.

Very comfortable room with charm. Great facilities. Friendly staff. Lots of parking.

Booking though a third party! Bait and switch you think you are getting one thing but it's really another then you spend hours trying to fix it with no help. This hotel went the extra mile and made it right! The hotel saved the day!!

The staff!!

• Queen Double (Main Building)

The dinner was very expensive for what you get. It was good, but we chose to eat out instead after our first visit to the dining service.

The breakfast was amazing! The room was incredibly comfortable and clean and the staff was extremely pleasant and accommodating. The property has a garden and a pond and it was beautiful. We were so happy with the hotel that we extended our stay an extra night!

• Queen Room

The sunbeds next to the pool are old and uncomfortable. The pool itself was dirty.

Rooms are really clean and cosy. The property itself is well maintained.

• Queen Room

I did find parking lot & property to dark for safety & getting around

Dorothy & Dianna went out there way to make sure my stay was great ! I love that you don't feel like your on a busy street when your at Founders . I stayed in Dec 2026 went to spa this time the pool .. very relaxing . My bothroom shower was so pretty . The hotel is beautiful has a old Savanna Georgia feeling

• Queen Room

The walking area had a few too many spiders, but hey like I told my wife , your outside!😂

Very unexpected, myself and my wife had lived in this area for 15yrs. We never knew this place was a inn, hotel, BB, etc. we really enjoyed our stay and the amenities. Like living any an old luxury hotel. Food was amazing!

• Queen Room

The staff was awesome!!!! the front desk clerk who checked me was super friendly and helpful. Jason was awesome as well!!! He escorted me to my room and carried my bags!!! Thanks for a great night!!!!

The staff could have been friendlier and more attentive. In addition, my room was not fully stocked with towels and washcloths when I arrived.

The room was cozy. The personalized decor made it seem like home.

The wait for our Food at the Hunt Room

I read so many reviews before booking this location. Not sure how anyone could leave a bad review. This is a must stay. The Grounds were Beautiful. The staff was very friendly & helpful. The room was very comfortable and spacious. We had 2 sinks which made getting ready a lot easier. Everything you'd need in a hotel. The Indoor Pool & Jacuzzi was a huge plus!

Need flavored coffee creamers at the coffee express bar.

Sunday Brunch was amazing, very very nicely done... Staff always friendly and helpful. Room was very comfortable. Queen size beds very comfortable. Beautiful gardens. Very relaxing and peaceful. Family friendly.

The only thing I can think I didn't enjoy was, how far it was from the beach. With all the traffic it took about 30 minutes to get to the beach.

The bed was phenomenal!! So comfortable! The property was gorgeous, and the room was amazing!

• Junior Suite with Fireplace

Room was not very clean. Cleaning staff knocked on our door at 10:58 to ask if we were leaving. Check out was at 11:00 but we were almost done and on our way out.

Breakfast was amazing. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

-----

The staff was very friendly, kind, and ready at anytime to make our stay the best for us. The entire facility was clean, organized, and comfortable. We had a terrific stay!

• Queen Double (Main Building)

A little confusing which turn to take for the main building once on the property but well worth the wait!

Beautifully landscaped, excellent location! The english garden is perfect. Lots to explore. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet. Updated room and bathroom, spacious and bright. The staff is amazing, the facilities beautiful.

• Queen Single (Main Building)

It would be nice to have some night life

Professional and courteous staff. Location was 20 minutes from Virginia Beach by the free courtesy shuttle and very convenient.

• Queen Room

The price of the room was extremely high and over rated. We have stayed at this location before and paid half of what it cost for a nite---highly disappointed that price gouging occurs when the place still had rooms available

location was great

• Queen Room

Usually hotels offer complimentary breakfast (continental, etc.). Breakfast was too expensive. The bed was too soft and was tilted.

Friendly and accommodating staff. Rooms were very private. The pool was nice.

Browse Founders Inn and Spa traveller photo gallery