Reviews of Fairmont Copley Plaza 5 stars

138 Saint James Avenue, Back Bay, Boston, MA 02116, USA

#19 of 81 hotels in Boston

The bar area, while busy and popular, was not the white linen tablecloth and baby grand piano I experienced 30+ years ago. Call me old fashioned, but the old Oak Room was elegant and soothing and lent itself to intimate conversations.

Room was upgraded and my birthday was celebrated with chocolate covered strawberries and evian. The view of Copley Place was lovely, and the hotel was elegant in a grand way, You don't find beautiful hotels of this grand magnitude of a bygone era anymore. For style, history, elegance, and sumptuous comfort you are transported to a place and time that is both classic yet has every modern amenity. The hotel even made accommodation for my husbands advancing Alzheimer's. Perfect in every way.

• Executive King Room

Even though they were very respectful. I found the turn down service somwhat intrusive.

Stayed on the Gold Floor. Lauren and Niko got me tickets to prime events.

Our room keys kept deactivating themselves, I had mine in the same pocket as my cellphone, maybe that was the reason?

Room was huge! Thermostat worked well, room service friendly and efficient, facilities up to par. We didn't have much of a view due to having a room that faced over a parapet, the parapet blocked our view, but I'd have to be really picky to say that was a problem for us, really wasn't.

Marathon Day. Everything about the stay was pleasant and we will stay with you again but perhaps not on Marathon day. No provision made for a pasta evening. Worse - grim faced security personnel made us feel like illegal guests. Understand the need for security on marathon day but these 'gentlemen' should be schooled on how to do their job politely and without alienating your guests. Poor face of a fine hotel.

I wanted to pay the entire bill ahead of time- but it was impossible to do it though Bookings.com had to go direct with the hotel and they were very accommodating! Sorry-but next time I will go direct through the hotel —

• Queen Room

We had a slight issue with our show head not staying put but after bringing it up at check out they took $50 off the bill which was great!

The room was very nice but the lobby was stunning! We loved the décor and the staff.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

There was no heat in the bathroom. It was a very large room, totally tiled in marble that kept the temperature slightly above freezing. We literally had to run the shower and get steam in the room before you could even consider taking shower. I also had severe vomiting after eating the mussels - it was really the only meal I had that day, and we were stranded in the hotel due to a blizzard, so I know that was the food source. Sacrificed a fully paid night to check out early as I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Beautiful older hotel that people interested in history will enjoy. Valet parking was quick and staff was generally very helpful. Rooms were fairly quiet - we were some distance from the elevators.

• Queen Room

I rarely write reviews, but must do as a follow up for our recent excellent stay at the Fairmont Copley Plaza hotel which exceeded all expectations. I was traveling with my 5 year old son for appointments at Boston Children's Hospital. He has been unwell and the staff went above and beyond to brighten our experience. Our room was beautiful, large, fresh, clean and comfortable. We were greeted with a stuffed friend and personalized letter and book on the bed for my son. We enjoyed several delicious meals in the Oaklong restaurant - every time the food and service were excellent. The location of this hotel is fantastic. Walking distance to Newbury St and Prudential Center shops and restaurants, and only a short c. 10 minute taxi away from Boston Children's Hospital and children's attractions like the Science Museum, Boston Children's Museum, Aquarium, etc. The staff is exceptional. We will be staying here on every visit to Boston going forward. Thank you so much to everyone at the Fairmont Copley Plaza for making our stay a happy and memorable one.

• Queen Room

Decor in room is standard . . Attention to detail on cleaning staff - ie replenish tea bags used , toilet paper , etc was not up to standard

Lobby drcor is grand .

• Queen Room

The location was super. It is a fabulous hotel with a great lively bar. The staff couldn't have been more attentive and friendly. We were upgraded to a king suite and were given a complimentary bottle of champagne with a lovely personal note. There was a wonderful atmosphere at the hotel. The room was very spacious and the bed was very comfortable. I would stay here again without hesitation.

All excellent. If I could find anything negative, it would be the price of juice in the restaurant on location.

Elegance of property, friendliness of staff, Gracie the yellow lab, central location of property, health club

• Deluxe Quadruple Room

Not a great selection for lighter breakfast items. The bathroom door had dirty finger marks were people and open and close the door. The reading light at the side of my bed was broken. The bathroom was small.

I cannot believe in this day and age a hotel like the Fairmont has to charge for WiFi! The gym was exceptional, very clean, well stocked with machines and weight machines.

• Superior King Room

1. Check in staff could’ve been friendlier 2. Didn’t get the room I booked even though notified will be arriving early 3. The room we were given was run down (660). The AC didn’t work well it was blowing out cold air in winter -we were really cold 4. The bathroom lacked many of the standard kits - at $500+ You’d expect to get those 5. The magnifying mirror was not moving stuck to the far wall I had to try to reach it to use it - very unlike a decent hotel would provide 6. The room carpet was really dirty not vaccumed and dusty 7. The bathroom was really dirty specially the tub it looked like it was never cleaned. The corners of the tiles in the bathroom also were collecting dirt Every time I come to Boston I make it a point to stay at the Fairmont but this time I was really disappointed it did not live up to its standards that I had experienced previously.

Not this time I didn’t like much I was disappointed

It was perfect just as it was!

Besides being a gorgeous old hotel, the staff at Fairmont Copley Plaza was exceptionally helpful and went well beyond normal expectations to help us with a flight problem. Every staff member with whom we interacted was pleasant and helpful and we felt very comfortable and welcomed. We particularly appreciated that they gave us a complimentary room upgrade! We definitely will return to this fine establishment.

• Executive King Room

Room was cold—-window open and we had to. Ask for extra heater till system fixed

Gold rooms have lot of indulgent extras especially the free breakfast and snacks The valet parking and ordering was exceptionally fast

• Queen Room

Everything was beyond expectations!

The room was exactly what I needed-- and I had an unexpected upgrade to the 4th floor! The beds are always amazing, and I always feel like I am floating on a cloud! The staff is always cheerful and helpful, and greeters consistently are helpful and open the doors for anyone coming in or out of your hotel. Even during the significant wind and rain storm on 3/2/2018!! I love your hotel, and please thank all of your staff!!

• Queen Room

The hotel was far too antiquated for our taste. Even after we upgraded our room the bathroom remained minuscule. Also, although some alterations had been made at the desk to allow mobile phone charging, there were no useful sockets by either side of the bed. In our opinion this is a beautiful building but the rooms need a serious revamp.

Not very much. The position was excellent and the staff were good.

There was nothing not to like.

Nice clean large rooms with friendly Service. The restaurant was beautifully decorated and very comfortable with great food. We definitely will be back. Thank you. P.S. We loved the sweet friendly Dogs.

• Quadruple Room

Asked for early check in to prepare for a paper I was delivering at a local university. Instead my room wasn’t ready until 4:30– an hour and a half LATE.

De wifi is not complimentary, this should be changed ! The bathroom could have been cleaner, especially the parts you only see when making an effort.

Beautiful old building, great location. Friendly personell.

• King Studio

Can't think of a thing we didn't like.

All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. However I would like to say that Carlos, who provided us with our daily room service, was without exception the very best!

The Fairmont Copley Plaza is one of the most beautiful hotels we have ever stayed in. The service was impeccable. The room was outstanding. Gorgeous marble bath everything top notch. The restaurant in the hotel was great too and warmed us up with the two fireplaces and excellent food. We will be back!!! Staff from A to Z very kind and extra helpful. Everything was sparkling clean! Definitely book this hotel!!

• Deluxe Quadruple Room

Insufficient choice of eateries on site. The single restaurant at the hotel required reservations to be assured of a table on busy nights and hotel patrons were not given priority over outside guests.

The hotel was very conveniently located, easily accessible and close to attractions and shopping.

The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Only comment for improvement would be, the ny eve in the oak room minimum per person was not explained when we asked to be put on the waiting list, and we noticed a lot of no shows, so we could have had better seating.

• Queen Room

The restaurant area needs to be separated from the bar; it was very busy & crowded. Heating system in the room was very loud when it went on & no heat in bathroom.

Staff was amazing; excellent service! Very comfortable bed & location was key.

There wasn’t much that I didn’t like. The only problem I had was that they took out ghost money and I was told when I got there that everything was paid for but yet I had to pay for more. They just confused me a little.

The staff was amazing and they answered all my questions even when I had a problem. The bed was so comfy and the pillows were amazing wish I had one for myself. I would book this hotel another time if I had to.

• Queen Room

The old-style elevators have been retained for historic feel but they are very slow. The hallways could have been more lit so they wouldn't look eerie.

Awesome, picturesque and well-scented grand lobby. The hotel itself is very historic, having been the original site of the Museum of Fine Arts. Location is also perfect -- just right in front of Copley Square; just 5 minute walk to Copley Place and Prudential as well as the Newbury Street shopping district. The Old Trolley Stop is also right in front of the hotel.

• Quadruple Room

We asked for turndown service and didn't get it and the service at the restaurant was adequate at best. Dirty utensils with room service.

The room was nice, food was good.

Price

We were greeted by the most friendly helpful staff! Once we got to the check in - staff assisted us with our plans for the day as well as making better room arrangements!

• Queen Room

very happy with everything.

I love the overall beauty of the hotel and the rich feeling of tradition. Cleanliness is very important to me and I give the Fairmont a very high rating for this.

Only one bar / restaurant with limited places as hotel guest you might end up without a table for dinner !!

best location in town! On gold floor lounge, staff and complimentary breakfast was amazing.

• Queen Room

Nothing to complain about, maybe hotel starts to get a bit worn down here and there.

I stayed at the Gold Circle floor and the lounge was excellent for relaxing with a newspaper. Honesty bar in the evening with some nice fingerfood and snacks. Gym was located on top flor modern and with windows overlooking Boston.

• Deluxe Quadruple Room

We had no vanity kit in bathroom and could have a few more international tv Channels

The location, Carly, breakfast is good except the coffee. Staff are helpful and delightful

• Deluxe Quadruple Room

Room was very old and not clean. Towels smells bad. Dirty dark sports were norticed on the floor. scratches all over the furniture. Low pressure in the shower. Definitly not a 5 stars or even 4 stars hote.

View of HVAC system and back of house- “view” horrible but location of hotel itself wonderful.

Loved the canine ambassador, Carly, who greets new guests. Staff very friendly and professional.

I am very disappointed with this hotel: workers look at you carry your heavy luggage without helping or offering to help, wifi keeps disconnecting, some charger outlets in room not working, some lamps not working, they did not provide shampoo and conditioner .. etc..

However, one lady at reception helped me with train booking

• Executive King Room

I would have liked free transportation to and from the airport. Some hotels do have that service.

Staying in the Fairmont Gold rooms entitled us to hors d'oeuvres in the evening and buffet breakfast in the morning. There is also an honor bar in the Gold Lounge.

• Quadruple Room

I did not like the hotel letting a couple share their room with a small pig the couple said the pig slept on the bed with them.They were walking the pig on a lead,around the hotel, I was not amused. I expected more from a 5 star hotel.

The staff were wonderful nothing was a problem for them.The room was spacious, and also the bathroom,which had plenty of towels. The beds were very comfortable, the air con was easy to use.

Public areas are still very dark and old fashioned, but thats in keeping with the 'style' of an older hotel

Rooms have been updated and are very comfortable

Disappointed that our room overlooked the internal side of the hotel seeing as how we had booked a deluxe king room. We arrived back from our day out at 4pm to find that our room had not been serviced, which was rather disappointing considering that the domestic staff were outside our room when we left at 8:30am. The decoration of the corridors look dark and tired and in need of refreshing to be brighter.

The room facilities were exactly as we would expect from a Fairmont having previously stayed in the Fairmont in San Francisco.

• Queen Room

Valet was poor someone took a envelope with $10. Or more in change for my truck very very disappointed with that.

Staff was very good clean and classy room

• Executive Queen Room

I'm not sure if there was just one thing that I liked about the hotel. It was clean, the staff were friendly, We got into the restaurant even though they were all booked. My daughter forgot her tooth brush and they gave her one. It was in all a great weekend at the Fairmont!

To say the bathroom was horrible would be a compliment. The toilet was literally tucked UNDER the basin of the pedestal sink. There was no storage. The towels hung in the shower and had to be removed to stay dry but there was no where to hang them. Not a single hook in the bathroom. It was a 5'x6' box. I've had better bathrooms at a Comfort Inn.

The room was nice.

Two of the three rooms were below acceptable. One room - the bathroom - you could not sit on the toilet without having to shift sideways to not bump up against the heater! We waited 50 minutes for our bags to be delivered. Had to call and go down to find the Bellman. We waited 45 minutes for car to be brought up then asked why it was taking so long and no one had gone to get it! We stood waiting and not one person thought to ask - "Are you bring helped?"

The staff in the restaurant were great

great hotel and staff is helpful and friendly. Clean hotel and room. Good breakfast at the hotel restaurant and good location. Would stay there again.

• King Studio

For a hotel asking more than US$500,00 a day, is absurd to pay for internet. Room was big but poorly planned. TV was six meters away the bed. No view from the two windows. The staff doesn't know how to pamper guests that are paying full rate at a luxury hotel. They think everybody are guests participating in a convention with low expectations and the company paying half price rates. Parts of the room not well finished

Location is the best in town.

Shower and shower walls were not very clean, towels thread bare for a 5 star hotel. Overall loved it.

The bed was very comfortable. The room was extremely comfortable as a whole.

• Queen Room

My view obstructed by a/c duct and they charged my card in advance for the entire stay after my first night! Room 154 had the crappy view!

Room and bathroom were beautiful. Good mini bar. Complimentary bath/shower products smelled amazing.

As our room faced an internal area it was noisy with lots of fans and air con noise. We moved once but was still an issue, even in an exec room.

Beautiful building and helpful staff.

• Deluxe Quadruple Room

Incredibly overpriced hotel . We paid 1000 $ for a 2 night stay without breakfast getting a room facing a wall The hotel is old and looks very tired.Decades must have passed from the last renovation. No sleepers in the room (possibly the only 5* hotel in the world) , no complimentary still water. You have to ask to get and it could take an hour to deliver No breakfast buffet but only a la cart so consider 80 dollars for 2 person

The only reason to pick this hotel is because it is located in Copley Plaza

I was upgraded to a superior room from standard but it was on the lowest floor, which is like a basement and from the window you can't even see the street, which was unpleasant. It was late at night, I was so tired and didn't want to start an argument about that and they have said that the hotel is fully booked for the night. At 8 in the morning, construction started right under my window even though at the reception they have said that it is the quietest room that they have and didn't even warn me about the possible construction. Very disappointed with disinformation for such money everything should be perfect.

• Queen Room

Great farmers market in front of the hotel. They also have a hotel dog for guests who miss their own pet. You can even take the dog for a walk. Fun for kids.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

• Queen Room

Carpet flooring in hallways smelled strange, no breakfast included

For the price we paid, we got excellent service, a hotel located very close to nice part of Boston (shops, park, water), subway at few steps and a well equiped gym. The hotel is somewhat outdated which one could consider part of the 'grandeur'. Breakfast was not included in the price (known at time of booking) but for the price paid, I believe a breakfast should be in. We however got free wifi (which was announced at $10/day on booking.com)

Nothing!!!!

Excellent location, all staff were very friendly and very helpful. We travel to the US on a regular basis and will be back, Great Hotel, Great Location, Great Staff!!!

• Queen Room

Concierge, Zach, less than helpful. Asked directions to a restaurant. He told us it was just across the street. Turns out that it was two blocks away, inside of a shopping mall and on the third floor. Took us 30 minutes to walk there for being "right across the street." Oh, and did I mention it was raining!

Air con and plumbing was very noisy. Could open small window in bathroom but noise from airwell was unbearable at night. Breakfast scrambled eggs were terrible.

• Executive King Room

The room was beautiful but very small. There were no dressers.

The location was perfect. Friendliness of staff. Gold club floor.....just ideal. Knowledgeable staff.

• Deluxe Quadruple Room

The only suggestion I could give is to have something on the wall by the bathtub to help you get out.

I LOVED THE ANTIQUE DECOR AND HOW WONDERFUL THE MANAGER WAS IN THE RESTAURANT! I ASKED IF I COULD ORDER FRUIT TO TAKE OUT FOR MY RIDE HOME ON THE TRAIN AND WHEN I WENT TO PAY, HE WOULD NOT ACCEPT THE MONEY. WE HAD EATEN THERE TWICE BEFORE AND IT WAS LOVELY!

• Queen Room

The room we stayed in, room 212, is right next to the elevator and open staircase. It was incredibly loud the entire time. It was hard to fall asleep and stay asleep. We heard doors slamming, people running up and down the stairs and the elevators sounds. When we asked the front desk our options, we were told we could move down one level and it would be a bit more "quieter". I wasn't sure what that meant - for the amount of money we were spending at the Fairmont you shouldn't have to settle for "a bit more quieter". Also during our stay there was construction going on, on the roof - right next to our room. When we opened our curtains there were men walking around the roof. Again, for the amount we spent for only 2 nights - this is ridiculous. If you know there will be construction going on, therefore loud noises, in certain rooms you might want to consider closing a few rooms until the construction is over. I have stayed at the Fairmont Copley numerous times before, and all were fabulous. I am so sad that this was my last experience - it is going to be make it extremely hard to ever want to stay there again.

We felt the prices for room service were outrageous and a drink in the restaurant was 14.95 US which was ridiculous. We were not super happy that our room had no view and the workers working on the building were very noisy

We loved the location. The room was very nice and bed comfy.

I didn't like that Wi-Fi was not included since the Price of the hotel is on the high end.

Arthur the bell hop was awesome. He took the time to go over the hotel amenities and all that there was to see in Boston, since this was our first visit to Boston.

Superb location, beautiful hotel, excellent and polite service. Pet friendly and my daughter even had the chance to walk the hotel ambassador dog which was a thrilling experience. The only thing that was a bit unsatisfactory was the bathroom being too small, there was very little bench space to put personal belongings so we had to put them all on the desk.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The first Signiture Room was musty and damp. Moved rooms to a Fairmont Gold with smaller beds and without a view but better room overall.

Location and history of the building. The Oak Bar is a great restaurant.

• Queen Room

The bathroom lighting seems very harsh. There is no good place for a lady to prep. Larger vanity space and softer lighting would be just the ticket! Also when we checked in, our room was ready early, which was nice, but she said we could have a room with a view, and our 2 views were both solid walls.

Loved the exquisite lobby and other 1st floor rooms. Location was perfect. Cleanliness top notch. It was an elegant experience staying here while we attended a wedding at the Boston Public Library.

This is a stunningly overpriced dump. The endless dark, foreboding hallways often lead you nowhere (think Jack Nicholson's hotel in The Shining). For $336 a night, I got stuck way down one of these morose hallways next to construction equipment piled outside my window. There was no refrigerator or ice bucket in the room. It took them almost 3 hours and several calls for them to bring me an ice bucket. Within minutes of checking in, I noticed a serious building code violation. It was a door on the second floor prominently marked with a red EXIT sign - which was locked. I went down and mentioned this to a gaggle of dazed milling and chatting millennial staff in the lobby, and and they were clearly annoyed with my pointing this out. But miraculously the door was unlocked by the following morning. For $336 per night, the Fairmont required me to pay extra for WiFi. No, not Premium Wifi - ANY WiFi. Even Motel 6 has a fridge and an ice bucket in all the rooms, and FREE WiFi! I know the Copley Fairmont is a "landmark," but it's time to knock it down, fire all the greedy and useless incompetent staff, and build something that is even remotely worth the money in that location. But for now - stay away!

We stayed at the Loews Hotel a few days before and the cost per room per night was significantly cheaper, the extra cost at the Fairmont didn't really equate to an overal better experience, nonetheless it was lovely to stay at this traditional Boston Hotel.

Nice size bed and room was very comfortable.

• Queen Room

The free internet connection was quite poor.

The bed was very comfortable, we loved the room style and furniture. The bathroom was very clean and spacious. The location is simply great!

• Deluxe Quadruple Room

I would propose these improvements: A cosier reception area in the middle with sofas and coffee tables A swimming poool A complimentary tea or coffee for early birds like me at the reception area Some apples in the fitness area

The restaurant was very beautiful and cosy.

We paid a total of 900 dollars for two nights stay with no breakfast. That speaks for itself. To add to this we had to pay total of 9 dollars for bottle of water in the room that should be supplied at these prices. I was appalled to find they were asking for 10 dollars per day for internet. How ridiculous is that. It is a fabulous old world hotel with lovely front of house ambience and old world embellishments. But it seems they are using this to add anything they can to the bill.

Very comfortable mattress, poor view looking out on unfinished building works.

• Executive Queen Room

The first room they tried to give us was horrible. Small as a shoe box. Looked like a single room. After complaining 3 times and an hour and half of waiting a decent room on a non lounge floor was found, only problem was the bathroom was a postage stamp. Very disappointing rooms for a 5 Star Deluxe Hotel with 5 star prices.

Location - Restaurant - Club Lounge

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

• Queen Room

I asked to check out just an hour later and the receptionist did not allow me to since she "was not sure" when the room would be occupied by the new guests

Excellent location, professional staff, great facilities, extra clean and comfortable rooms.

• Executive King Room

They could do with getting a pool /spa facilities

Room spotlessly clean. Concierge room worth the extra cost. Fantastic stay. Friendly, helpful staff.

writing a hotel review for the first time and want to say that the property is very outdated and by saying very outdated I mean really old. I booked the Fairmont King Room because of the photos provided by the hotel but most importantly because it was stated that the room was recently renovated. when i arrived the staff at the reception informed me that the room was in fact renovated, but not recently. The room was tiny, the furniture old and scratched. The closet smelled like dust so i kept my things in the suitcase for the whole trip. the safe box did not work properly, every morning i double checked that it is locked, yet every night i came to discover an open safe. ZERO sound isolation- every morning I woke up to the sound of someone talking in the room next door or the phone ringing in the other room. the bathroom is tiny, no place to put a cosmetics bag or anything. i was looking for a socket to plug my charger in and reached under the bed with a flashlight just to discover a layer of dust everywhere underneath.

ONLY the location of the hotel

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

• Queen Room

The room while well furnished was small. The lobby was always packed with people going in and out of meetings

The location was great, the staff very helpful, the hotel old and beautiful. The room while small was totally adequate. I also liked the many notifications and reservation reminders I received ahead of time. When I arrived check-in was easy as was check out.

• Queen Room

Minor problems with service, but very well handled by front desk personnel.

Beautiful hotel and excellent location in Copley Square, one block from Backbay train station. Very lively bar scene in lobby.