2. USA hotel reviews
  3. California hotel reviews
  4. Los Angeles hotel reviews
  5. Reviews of Freehand Los Angeles

Reviews of Freehand Los Angeles This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services available. It's based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

416 West 8th Street, Downtown LA, Los Angeles, CA 90014, United States of America

#60 of 381 hotels in Los Angeles

Read more– opens a dialog box

• Reviewed: January 22, 2019

Great location, amazing rooftop "party".
    • Bed in Shared Quad: Female

Great location, amazing rooftop "party". Staff friendly and helpful, place spotless. For sure next time I will be in LA this is the spot I will stay. :)

• Reviewed: January 22, 2019

Come for the design - don't stay for the service.
    • Private Quad

The valet (which should be the first representation of the hotel) acted like he wasn't on duty when we pulled up in the car. He wasn't servicing other cars, but took a couple minutes to approach our car, and required that we ask to help unload our bags. The staff also didn't seem to have shared knowledge of the hotel services. I.e. the menu in our room said happy hour went until 7pm, while the staff in the bar noted it stopped at 5:30. Similarly, the room menu advertised a breakfast sandwich and coffee for $8 with Cafe Integral with our 4-person, bunk style room. But in the restaurant that morning, we were told we were supposed to have bracelets to receive the breakfast, and then found out about the downstairs continental breakfast as well. When we brought the menu down at check out, the front desk clerk brushed it off - no mention of correcting the time printed on the menu, or apologizing for not informing us of the amenities offered with our room. I have to say, it didn't feel like anyone was trained in Hospitality. A cool hotel only goes so far - the service needs to match and be on par, if not exceed the design of the space.

The design of the hotel: lobby, restaurant, room and roof-top. But it stops there.

• Reviewed: January 21, 2019

Clean, nice size room for 2 people.
    • King Room with City View

We were on floor 5 street side and it was extremely noisy all night long. Also valet parking was upsetting at $51.00 for a 4.5 hour stay with validation.

Clean, nice size room for 2 people.

• Reviewed: January 20, 2019

Clean, good location, but shared in-room bathrooms.
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

Shared room bathroom and WC facilities are inside the room, and sinks aren't separated, so everything will be "shared". This setup is inferior to many cheaper places with shared accommodation, even though the place was clean. No 24/7 access to a fridge. No cooking facility. "Lounge" is essentially a basement room with breakfast tables. But the staff is helpful and they will hold something in a fridge for you if needed. It was the most pricey shared accommodation I've ever been to (I've traveled quite a bit) and for that, not having to listen to the toilet and bathroom procedures and being able to access a fridge and some cooking options would be nice. Maybe an extra door would help. During checking no information re: breakfast was provided so I was kicked out of the breakfast due to not having a bracelet/string, which was odd, since my card had let me in there already. That needs to be obtained at the lobby :)

Very clean, comfortably located, roof terrace and cozy lobby bar. Access to a tiny basement gym. The shared room itself was nice enough (minus the bathroom situation). Given LA prices and the reviews of other similar options, the deal was probably ok. And the roof was a great bonus. Staff was generally helpful. Bluetooth and smartphone-based key system (which only worked 50% of the time).

• Reviewed: January 17, 2019

It was nice . Just upsetting trying to get parking
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

I felt all the other customers were helped except for me . He kept shooting me off assuming I was an Uber driver not a guest . I need to remove my sticker

I was trying to tell the valet that I was a guest but I was constantly ignored . I had to drive around twice and search for parking which took me about 2 hours with traffic . The manager was very apologetic and gave me a drink card . It was very nice but I don’t drink much . I appreciate the effort .

• Reviewed: January 16, 2019

The location of the hotel was amazing.
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

I was placed in a shared suite with seven other guests, which wasn’t bad except for the fact that the hotel doesn’t provide such suites with basic amenities like bath soap, toothpaste, lotion, wash cloths, etc.

The location of the hotel was amazing. The lobby/lounge was so nice and vibrant that it didn’t even seem like a hotel.

• Reviewed: January 16, 2019

It was very clean and comfortable.
    • Bed in Shared Super-Six: Co-Ed

They should point out you need a 50$ deposit only with a credit card, which is not mentioned when you book, so it can make the checking in process very long and uncomfortable.

It was very clean and comfortable. Nice staff and nice breakfast!

• Reviewed: January 15, 2019

This is a very good hotel that has hostel rooms for solo...

Nothing. :)

This is a very good hotel that has hostel rooms for solo travelers. Located in downtown LA, close to music centre, the Broad and MOCA. Facilities are very good as like I said this is actually a hotel proper. Staffs at the reception are very friendly. The room is clean with ensuite bathrooms and the bed is comfortable. There is sitting area inside the bedroom that can be used to chat with the other roomates.

• Reviewed: January 15, 2019

its a great hybrid hotel/hostel with lots going on, esp...
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

breakfast was included but it wasnt very good. Just sugary stuff like cereals, zero nutrition. They do have a paid option in the lobby restaurant though. the set up of the dorm room could be more private. i.e. curtains on beds. sinks in the room are also a bad idea as with my jetlag i was waking up super early and always disturbing the guys when trying to get ready.

its a great hybrid hotel/hostel with lots going on, esp on the weekends locals actually queue outside to come to the rooftop bar. Very easy to meet people and just have a good time in case its raining outside and you dont know what else to do ;) Comfy bed, great design, appreciate the gym as well.

Location, staff
    • Bed in Shared Super-Six: Co-Ed

More about the fellow guests staying in the dorm, the guy staying in bed below mine kept making noise with his backpack and plastic bags he was trying to pack, well past midnight. Hostel should put a rules poster in the dorm to educate travellers of respecting other guests. Breakfast was pretty normal.

Location, staff

• Reviewed: January 12, 2019

The location was really handy, walking distance from the...
    • Cozy King with Artwell View

The room was a bit small.

The location was really handy, walking distance from the subway and the downtown museums. The hotel architecture and its long history gives it a particular character, while the lobby can also be used as collaboration/working place.

• Reviewed: January 11, 2019

I have got free upgrade, so I had nice view.
    • King Room with City View

There was no space in the bathroom for cosmetics, no table, no enlarging miror, very weak lightening. Not comfortable at all No one at the reception helped me with luggage (2 suitcases)

I have got free upgrade, so I had nice view. Minibar and snack were good Nice design of the room Good heating compared to other california hotels

• Reviewed: January 10, 2019

The staff didn't explain how to use the elavator.
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

The staff didn't explain how to use the elavator. Eventually i stucked in the elavator for 10minutes. Haha i am not complaining about that. It was just a memorable moment.

• Reviewed: January 10, 2019

Expensive with poor amenities and it's very loud
    • King Room with City View

Very loud. Street noise made it hard to sleep on sixth floor facing street. Window glass let cold draft in as well. No real breakfast option. Expensive for hostel quality experience. Lobby very loud during evening bar hours.

Old elevators were cool. Location was awesome. Bed was comfy. Cheap parking next door at Joe's (don't spend the extra 42/day on the valet)

• Reviewed: January 8, 2019

I stayed in the shared room.
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

I stayed in the shared room. The room and bathroom were really clean. beds were comfortable and the way bunks are positioned you maintain a bit of privacy. The hotel is well located. The Metro to Hollywood and other tourist attractions are only a short walk away! Staff are also really helpful and the coffee shop downstairs is a must!!

• Reviewed: January 5, 2019

All in all, there are plenty of excellent aspects to this hotel, and I would lovingly return.
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

The full operation of the hotel seemed a bit like an off season. So so timing on laundry facilities working for me. My wish to have a pool day in the nice weather seemed at odds with the opening of the pool on the off weather days of my duration as a guest.

Efficient lighting design and decor. Pleasant and courteous staff. Sufficient staffing. Technologically equipped.

• Reviewed: January 3, 2019

A beautiful atmosphere with clean comfortable rooms.
    • King Room with City View

There was a bit of street noise that came in through the window. The self-check-in kiosks are cool but didn't work as well as expected. I would rather talk to someone face to face in a hotel like this one.

Wonderfully designed hotel. I love the decor, brand, vibe etc. Food and cocktails were excellent. Rooms were very nice and clean with plenty of outlets in convenient places. The provided toiletries were great too.

• Reviewed: January 3, 2019

Overall - comfortable and satisfying
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

Next night - I was disappointed because in the co-Ed room there weren’t any “extra” towels for every person in the room. Extra, I really mean, there were not enough towels for everyone. I think if the hotel put the towels for each guest in one room, on the bed, that would ensure everyone who is staying has one.

When I arrived I was booked for a 6bed or 8bed co-Ed room, however I wasn’t feeling well at the time of check in, I decided to check out my co-Ed room first to see the layout and how many roommates I would have. There was a full house and I had top bunk so that was my final decision to upgrade. so I asked to upgrade to a single suite for one night. The staff was helpful enough. The upgrade was $140 for one night which was more than my entire stay but it was worth it to have my own room for one night at least. The room was very chic and spacious. The bathroom was clean and very nice. The toiletries provided, I loved. The valet parking was better than searching for parking, I believe. That was my first time to California so I wasn’t sure where to go but I used my phone to find nearby parking ramps which had horrible reviews, so I decided to valet, which was $50/night... a little steep but I guess that’s the typical price for the location. The breakfast- I didn’t taste but I did go look to see what was a part of their offering. It was a well put together continental but in a small room. Nonetheless, the hotel served its purpose. I was only in LA for 48 hours. It provided some confort and aesthetically it was pleasing, more in the single suite than the co-Ed but I appreciated how the hotel all together appeared.

• Reviewed: January 2, 2019

The public areas were great and staff helpful and friendly.
    • Bed in Shared Super-Six: Co-Ed

The hostel rooms were well decorated, but tiny and uncomfortable to be sharing with strangers. I was initially in a 6 person room and the staff kindly moved me when some of my belongings went missing and a man in the room was making me uncomfortable. The bathroom had a separate toilet and shower but an open plan sink area, with no door, so if someone used it at night the whole room was bathed in light. Privacy screens are mentioned on the website but the beds are wide open, so there is no privacy. I then moved to a 4 person room and the upper bunks shared the ladder, so I had to half climb into a stranger’s bed to get into my own. The room was tiny with small lockers and one bathroom. None of the bathroom doors had locks. I reported my stolen items to reception and they referred it to security, but there was no update by the time I checked out 2 days later.

The public areas were great and staff helpful and friendly. The rooftop pool is beautiful with amazing views of downtown LA. Excellent location, near the metro, CVS and various places to eat.

• Reviewed: December 31, 2018

Super hip, not ideal for families.
    • Private Super-Six

Not the best for families, things like hand towels, wash cloths, ice and iron had to be called down for. No “extras” valet parking through hotel is $49 a day, it is downtown so LOTS of ambulance noice! No TV in bunk bed rooms, not sure about the other rooms. Not a great value, but it is very “cool,” If that’s what you are looking for. Perfect vibe for 20-something.

Hipster-like cool downtown location! Nice vibe, phenomenal roof-top pool, too cold out for us to swim but would be beautiful! Rooms were very clean, great coffee (for a fee) and nice bar/restaurant options. Staff was nice at check in.

• Reviewed: December 29, 2018

Won’t return again
    • Bed in Shared Quad: Female

Poor security and horrible neighborhood. There also was no heat despite it being freezing outside. Elevators don’t work and service feels inexistant

The rooftop pool and the restaurant had really good food

• Reviewed: December 28, 2018

Disappointed, chose this hotel because of the swimming pool...
    • Bed in Shared Super-Six: Co-Ed

Disappointed, chose this hotel because of the swimming pool on there roof and the panoramic view of the city. There was a private party, so I wasn't allowed to go there and enjoy the promised view of LA

• Reviewed: December 24, 2018

Expected a standard hostel.
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

Thicker curtains seperating the bunkbeds would be a small thing that would be an improvement - I could see right into the bunk of the person across from me, and if he had his light on, it flooded my bunk with light. Just a change from the current sheer cloth to a thick one would do wonders.

Expected a standard hostel. Was pleasantly surprised by what was practically a 4 star hotel. Whilst the room was the usual bunkbed affair, the private shower and toilet were spacious and well thought out. The lobby bar served amazing food and drink and was so popular that non-guests held functions there. And the rooftop bar was a hot spot for hostel guests and people off the street alike (hotel guests get priority entry to the rooftop bar too!)

• Reviewed: December 19, 2018

Wonderful except for the noise.
    • King Room with City View

The noise from the streets made it impossible to sleep. We were all constantly exhausted for our meetings.

The bed was extremely comfortable. The amazing staff was always friendly and incredibly helpful. The cafe had fantastic coffee.

• Reviewed: December 19, 2018

Stylish hotel with great location
    • Private Quad

The road is v busy during rush hour, be careful! It is hard to find parking spot, but there are tons of parking lot around it.

The block is pretty safe and facilitated with a lot of restaurants and one supermarket.

• Reviewed: December 17, 2018

Great staff and cool hotel vibe. Reccomend offering earplugs to guests staying on the street side.
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

The noise was so loud from the street that myself and my other colleagues found it very hard to sleep. Additionally there were some evenings that the heater wasn't working. the positive side is when I called maintenance, they came right away and reset the system.

The beds are extremely comfortable and the staff is impeccable. Always a smile and very attentive and helpful. Additionally the lentil soup in the restaurant was delicious and the coffee was fantastic.

• Reviewed: December 16, 2018

Excellent First Hostel Experience!!
    • Bed in Shared Quad: Female

The property was great, the only con for me was that concierge parking was too high so I opted for street parking, fortunately it was a weekend trip and there’s free parking on Sundays.

I really appreciated the amount of social space Freehand provided, convenient in-house restaurant option and a cute little café, I wish they had more vegan food options but the oat milk latte was very delicious.

• Reviewed: December 15, 2018

Perfect location.
    • Bed in Shared Quad: Female

Room is cleaned daily but sometimes the used towels and bed not tidied

Perfect location. Easy access to bus and metro. Breakfast is basic. Like the gym. Bring your own lock for locker in shared room.

• Reviewed: December 10, 2018

They discount usd50 from credit card like guarantee and tell...
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

They discount usd50 from credit card like guarantee and tell you when check out, refund this to the credit card, but they don't do this. Obviously you leave the city and can't go to reclaim. They should be honest.

• Reviewed: December 10, 2018

I enjoyed the concept - I was a little nervous to travel on...
    • Bed in Shared Quad: Female

I enjoyed the concept - I was a little nervous to travel on my own and loved my stay! The location was great and I wished I had more time to explore the area and property!

• Reviewed: December 9, 2018

It gave me a place to sleep and keep my stuff for cheap.
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

Nothing it got the job done.

Everything was as expected. I got a shared 8 person room. It fulfilled what I needed, a bed and a place to keep my stuff. If you're looking to relax some more I'd say get a single person room. It's in an area that was good for me, but downtown LA doesn't have as much to offer as the surrounding areas.

• Reviewed: December 8, 2018

very clean and we got towels and shampoo and other stuff...
    • Bed in Shared Super-Six: Co-Ed

there was no luck at the bathroom doors at the sharing room!

very clean and we got towels and shampoo and other stuff very clean and great for hostel and very save, the stuff is amazing

• Reviewed: December 6, 2018

Staff is nice.
    • Bed in Shared Quad: Co-Ed

Nothing really. Only the check - in because when I get in, I'm tired from travel. Check-in is usually around 3pm, and I must traverse to work by 5pm. But other than that, it's not a huge issue.

Staff is nice. Mamosas on point.

• Reviewed: December 5, 2018

Average
    • Private Super-Eight

Staff at night was not pleasant in their communication. very abrupt and not customer service friendly. Also upon booking and the pictures I the site made the room look like there was more space and a extra room. I would hav expected that for a room for 8 it was a bit misleading.

I liked the design and style of the place

• Reviewed: December 5, 2018

The staff was very warm and helpful.
    • King Room with City View

I wish we could have adjust the temperature in the room more below 67° because it felt oppressively hot. Also my credit card went missing from the bar, Broken Shaker, and the valet parking was very expensive. Convenient but double what it would have been had we parked in an independent lot. Overall, it was a good experience, all things considered.

The staff was very warm and helpful. The room was well decorated and clean. Cozy bed. Great rooftop bar upstairs and trendy lounge on the lobby level.

• Reviewed: December 4, 2018

Hands down the best hotel I have ever stayed at.

Nothing to not like.

Hands down the best hotel I have ever stayed at. The staff was so helpful and everything was so close by. The pool on the roof top is to die for and not to mention how there are 3 places you can grab a bite located right in the hotel.

• Reviewed: November 30, 2018

Amazing experience!
    • Bed in Shared Quad: Co-Ed

Great experience! I was worried it will be sketchy to be in a room with other people but everyone was super respectful and I ended up having a great stay.

• Reviewed: November 29, 2018

Don’t get taken advantage of!
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

False advertising lead me to a $120 upgrade. Further I am still disputing the charges for nights I did not stay . Poor billing staff and they keep giving me the run around .

• Reviewed: November 27, 2018

Very economical for the location and amenities, with a trendy lobby area and cool rooftop bar.
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

There could have been some better options for the free breakfast. Muffins and toast was a little underwhelming. Shower pressure was pretty weak in my room. Other than that everything was pretty awesome.

I stayed in a shared 8 room. All in all, the beds were comfortable and the lockers provided enough space to store all valuables. The downstairs lobby area was great, as well as the rooftop bar. Very well placed charging outlets in all bunks and lobby area. The location is very centrally located, only about a 10 minute walk to LA Live and there is a Whole Foods right across the street.

• Reviewed: November 27, 2018

Really loved this central DTLA spot. Will definitely be back!
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

The water pressure in the showers was basically non-existent. It was really confusing and hard to find the basement level. Only the leftmost elevator goes down to the basement!

I loved how nice everyone was. The communal rooms felt safe and fun. The rooftop bar and the restaurant downstairs are both amazing. Overall, this was a very positive experience.

• Reviewed: November 23, 2018

Excellent stay...a real hotel feel to a hostel type room
    • Bed in Shared Super-Six: Co-Ed

Virtually nothing but condiments left when I went for breakfast. Coffee was eventually topped up but nothing else I would have preferred if Id not been given the false impression of some sort of breakfast being included and absolutely amazing place to stay breakfast excluded.

Shared room is very luxurious...extremely comfy stay..rooftop pool and downstairs lobby bar area all so pleasant to spend time at. Early check in was much appreciated and great value for money.

• Reviewed: November 23, 2018

Great downtown location, beautiful, well-appointed lobby...
    • Private Super-Eight

Front desk staff lacked a welcoming vibe - the person who checked us in was fine, but just “fine;” she didn’t ask us if we needed anything, didn’t tell us about the property, where to find things — nothing. You have to walk down a corridor to what looks like a different building to get to elevators, and, after looking around, we had to ask around. Other front desk staff bordered on surly, when observed. When I asked where laundry facilities were, one staff member offered only the barest information, ie., I had to coax out of her whether I could use change (no), how to pay (an app) which app (it’s on a sticker down on the machine), is there detergent for sale (yes), is there someone down there selling (no, you get it up here), can I get some (one moment, please). In this scene, there is no one else at the front desk, just to be clear. The breakfast offered to guests is in a basement room and food and coffee wasn’t replenished an hour before they advertised the breakfast cutoff time (7-10 am, to be exact - we showed up at 9, and turned around and went to go pay upstairs). The private bunk rooms (which, if we’re comparing to private rooms with single beds in the same property, cost pretty much the same) lacked basic touches, like tissues, waste paper baskets in bathrooms, hangars, or rinse cups for the sink area. Nose guards from previous guests found on bed posts. Housekeeping barged in on room twice without knocking. Bottom line: if you’re traveling with friends and don’t care about basics and want a “scene” (bc the rooftop is indeed a scene on weekends), this place is fine. Otherwise, try somewhere else downtown.

Great downtown location, beautiful, well-appointed lobby with a very friendly cafe staff for morning coffee and pastries. Cool rooftop pool bar area. Interesting concept of shared bunk bed rooms. Laundry facilities on site, with app-purchase ability. Nice valet staff for your car park. Good restaurant on the ground floor.

• Reviewed: November 22, 2018

Stylish hostel/hotel with a beautiful rooftop
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

The check in was later than expected. The breakfast for shared rooms - dorms - is VERY mediocre, not recommend it at all. Just buy your own stuff and cook in the kitchen, will be much better.

I loved the rooftop terrace and the hotel design! Was very close to the metro station which connects to many touristy places in the city, so it's quite convenient. The dorm rooms have access to a kitchen and a gym. The kitchen is super helpful to save some money. The staff was super nice!

• Reviewed: November 22, 2018

It was a breathe of fresh air to hostel living I never expected.
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

I didn't realize that there was a $50 incidental charge until I arrived. I would have planned now accordingly, and my phone was dying. The shower water pressure was low in my room on the 9th floor, I don't know about the other rooms or floors though, just mine.

I like the aesthetics: chill and comforting. Very affordable for what is going on and for the location. Like a hostel that's not a hostel, more of a restaurant, lounge, hotel type setting. I first received the location, and thought: up-and-coming. I walked in, and I thought," is this the right place?" The complimentary breakfast was a plus. Serving peanut butter and jam, yogurt, muffins, OJ, apples, and cereal. The room was wonderfully clean, and the bed were personal with your own light fixture and outlets. Wi-Fi is on full blast. There's an open bar in the lobby and on the rooftop. The roof has a wonderful view of the city, and it has a pool. The elevator was an older model so it was rickety, but upgraded to move quickly. The staff were very friendly. The location is perfect for traveling because almost all transit in Los Angeles leads out of DTLA. There are tons of attractions surrounding Freehand: Shake Shack, Wholefoods, Ralph's, Footaction, and a lot more. It's only a 6 minute walk to 7th and Metro.

• Reviewed: November 22, 2018

The bedroom is set in a way that you feel you have your own...
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

The breakfast was so scarce that I ended up buying it elsewhere.

The bedroom is set in a way that you feel you have your own privacy, even though sharing the room with other 7 people. Beds have curtains and own reading light. If you like so, you may find gathering and common spaces.

• Reviewed: November 22, 2018

Best location for checking out downtown LA with friends
    • Private Super-Six

The Super 6 Pack room is a tight squeeze for 5 or 6 adults. Only one shower and toilet and not much room for anything beyond bodies and luggage. But you get what you pay for, and the rest of the hotel is awesome!

Unreal location with a beautiful rooftop bar to watch the sun set on LA. There's a cafe and bar. Prices are a little high but that's to be expected in downtown LA. 10/10 would stay here again! We actually stayed here twice on our trip :)

• Reviewed: November 21, 2018

My stay was a fun and unique experience, highly recommend
    • Private Quad

I liked everything about your property, we were attending a concert at the Staples Center so location of the hotel was perfect, loved the atmosphere of the hotel felt like I was back in Europe, staff at the desk were friendly and very helpful, all in all a fun experience, thank you

• Reviewed: November 21, 2018

A great place to stay in Downtown LA. I'd stay there again!
    • Bed in Shared Quad: Co-Ed

The only negative was the signage for the dining/lounge in the basement, which was hard to find/follow.

Stayed at the Freehand for two nights in a shared room with 3 others. The experience was excellent from check in to check out. Great facilities and location and the rooms were very well decorated and extremely clean, with fresh towels delivered to the room each day.

• Reviewed: November 21, 2018

If only the whole hotel was as bright and lively feeling as rooftop bar - then it would be perfect
    • King Room with City View

The hotel is far too dark. Although it may be a design idea it is impractical and makes the hotel feel a bit seedy and dingy. We gave up trying to use the bar as we couldn't see the menu - we weren't the only ones a few people moaned about the darkness everywhere - not good for a meeting etc.

The roof top bar is great - a lively and vibrant atmosphere with good service at the bar. The service in the hotel was good.

• Reviewed: November 20, 2018

Beautiful hotel, the room and the bed are comfortable, also...
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

It would be perfect if there were curtains to draw for all the beds. And it was noisy at night because of the cars and alarms from the street.

Beautiful hotel, the room and the bed are comfortable, also their staff are friendly.

• Reviewed: November 19, 2018

Great, clean property with amazing design and amenities. Would stay again.
    • Private Super-Six

Unlike the photos on booking.com the room didn't really have any place for more than one person to sit down. It took 45 min+ to get an ice bucket with ice.

The property was in a great location for us and the private super six bed dorm style room provided 5 of my friends and I a comfortable nights sleep. The property was exceptionally clean. The rooftop pool was great.

• Reviewed: November 19, 2018

I just wanted to be back in the hotel.
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

The poverty and human dereliction on the streets in Downtown LA was shocking, in such a wealthy country.

This was the best hostel/hotel experience I have had in all my travels. I have travelled a lot. Staff couldn't have been more accomodating. The decor was great/funky and the hotel/accomodation was superb. Couldn't fault the hotel. top marks. would make me want to come back to LA because there wasn't much in my experience of LA that attracted me to return.

• Reviewed: November 18, 2018

Pool, location, decoration, regular breakfast, shops and...
    • Bed in Shared Super-Six: Co-Ed

Trash bean wasn’t changed every day, that’s the only negative point.

Pool, location, decoration, regular breakfast, shops and supermarket nearby, metro station 7 min walking. I really recommend.

Perfect location
    • Bed in Shared Quad: Female

They need to work on the breakfast, I went there around 9 and there was a mess all over a kitchen no clean bowls, only some cereals and milk/yogurt and one last brown old apple.. Disgusting

Perfect location Absolutely beautiful rooftop, nice bar and view Kind staff

• Reviewed: November 18, 2018

Nice building, trendy decor, friendly staff, clean.
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

Shower was nice, but had maintenance issues as well as lacking some practical aspects such a place to hung your towel or clothes . Rooms looked nice but felt crammy. ladder to upstairs bunker bed was shared between beds and was not comfortable getting in or out.

Nice building, trendy decor, friendly staff, clean. Beds had a personal light and socket for comfort. However, I also had the airconditioning vent right above my head :/ Good security with RFID on lift and room access.

• Reviewed: November 16, 2018

Roof terrace and lounge in the hotel are Really nice
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

The shared accomedations / “hostel” are Just a couple of bunk beds in a room. Not Very modern or inspiring. Yet still good value for the money. The vale parking is way overpriced. There is enough cheap public parking in the Area

Roof terrace and lounge in the hotel are Really nice

• Reviewed: November 15, 2018

The hotel has a cool vibe about it - the roof top is stellar!
    • King Room with Skyline View

The hallways smelled of smoke - of various forms of tobacco .... Also didn't love the plastic feeling of the mattresses.

The hotel has a cool vibe about it - the roof top is stellar!

• Reviewed: November 12, 2018

Really modern check-in and check-out process!
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

I would appreciate it if locks for lockers in shared rooms were provided.

Really modern check-in and check-out process! Very clean and comfortable, high quality-to-price ratio. Great downtown location, very close to metro lines. Nice self-service breakfast for all guests!

• Reviewed: November 12, 2018

If the housekeeping didn’t steal my items my stay would have been better
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

The house keeping stole my belongings so I had to deal with this situation when I should have been enjoying my concert I paid $400 for. Huge waste of time.

It looked nice and apparently had a pool but I didn’t visit it

• Reviewed: November 12, 2018

Best hostel I stayed at with great facilities for a good price!
    • Bed in Shared Quad: Co-Ed

The breakfast/common area for guests is very minimal and in the basement, so not a place I would like to hang out and meet other people. Compared to all the restaurants in the building, this is a let down as a paying guest.

- Great location in DTLA, close to the metro. - Easy check-in, friendly staff - The rooms (I stayed in a 4 person shared room) are very clean and nicely decorated, nice to have a personal locker in the room (but you have to bring your own lock). - Good restaurants, but expensive - Great rooftop pool

• Reviewed: November 12, 2018

It was a very nice hostel and the staff were very helpful.
    • Bed in Shared Quad: Female

There could be more encouragement for the guests to interact with each other. Perhaps some activities or something for the guests would help.

It was a very nice hostel and the staff were very helpful. The bar downstairs has great cocktails. I was expecting more interactions between guests but everyone mainly kept to themselves.

• Reviewed: November 11, 2018

Location is reasonable.
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

Beds are terrible (soft mattress, tiny pillow, small length bed), breakfast is very poor, you will be inhaling weed for the night if you stay in a shared bedroom, decor of the hotel is eerie.

Location is reasonable.. allows you to get a metro train or bus to most locations across LA relatively seemlessly.

• Reviewed: November 11, 2018

Amazing hotel! Such a comfortable stay
    • Bed in Shared Quad: Female

It was loud on Saturday night. You could hear party goers on the rooftop. Ear plugs could be provided to the floors closest to the rooftop

Lovely hotel, amazing rooftop pool, loooved the music playing up there in the day time. Would recommend a thousand times over

• Reviewed: November 8, 2018

Not sure if this place is worth your money.
    • King Room with City View

We came to travel in LA and booked this place for my husbands birthday, it was a quite disappointing. The hotels hallways are dark and grim and so is the lightening in the room. We stayed on the second floor and there was a lot of noise from the street specially in the morning. The staff looked listless. Be aware that parking is not included (the valet costs 40$/day). When we booked the room, it's said that the hotel includes breakfast but when we arrived we've been told that this is not true (not sure who to blame - booking.com or the hotel). Bottom line - we payed to much money for something that in my opinion was not worth it.

The place is clean and has it's own unique style. Our dog was also welcomed there. The rooftop looks like a nice place to hang and to watch the city view at night.

• Reviewed: November 7, 2018

A backpackers dream
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

I stayed in one of the 8 bed dorms, power outlets & lamp in the bunks and the overall design of the rooms made it one of the most enjoyable hostel stays I have had.

• Reviewed: November 7, 2018

The Freehand Is A Wonderful, Well Priced Hotel Fit For Solo Travelers and More!
    • Bed in Shared Quad: Co-Ed

Theres really not much I can say that I didn't like. I generally likeed everything. Though, as a suggestion, I really think the freehand should consider the privacy screens that go all the way around. The privacy screens were only on one side, but they would have been useful along the front of the bunk whenever someone had their lamp on at night.

I'm a bit of a clean freak so what I appreciated the most was the cleanliness of the entire hotel. I had a week long stay here and can honestly say I've never seen a single thing on the ground. I've never seen anything that looked out of place. There was daily cleaning in the rooms and the cleaners, as well as the front desk ladies I engaged with, were so friendly and accommodating.

• Reviewed: November 6, 2018

Everything, the property is just right in the downtown so...
    • Bed in Shared Quad: Co-Ed

My only dislike is on the rates, that it change pretty considerably in a short time. I stay in a shared room, the first night i paid 40usd, the last night was around 80usd for the same room.

Everything, the property is just right in the downtown so close to the metro. I really enjoy the view and the rooftop is simply amazing, i could not imagine a better view from top.

• Reviewed: November 5, 2018

amazing for the price
    • Bed in Shared Quad: Female

Incredible staff and management - everyone is super nice!! The rooms were way cleaner and more accommodating than I ever expected for a shared room situation. It doesn’t feel like a hostel at all. Staff clean the rooms multiple times a day.

• Reviewed: November 3, 2018

The staff was helpful and the rooftop is amazing.
    • Bed in Shared Super-Six: Co-Ed

Locks of the bathroom door was gone, got a free drink for the inconvenience. There was not much of a hostel atmosphere, but still met nice people.

The staff was helpful and the rooftop is amazing. Even if you're not staying there you should go to the rooftop. Probably best spot in the financial district.

• Reviewed: November 3, 2018

Magic Atmosphere at the lobby, fantastic music all the time,...
    • Bed in Shared Quad: Female

Four bed room only cleaning one time every four days, so the bathroom was awful, litter bin full, dirty, used towels everywhere, people checked out and their towels still in the room, not toilet paper.....very bad! Poor breakfast!

Magic Atmosphere at the lobby, fantastic music all the time, good restaurant, lovely roof garden, very helpful receptionist especially the girl when I checked in! Nice shop inside the hotel!

• Reviewed: November 2, 2018

clean but not worth the price tag $
    • King Room with City View

apart from the above everything else was ok

Double glazed windows for street facing rooms is a must I could here pepoles footsteps going by and I was 4 floors up, also blinds are unacceptable they let so much light in and one of them didn't shutter close properly, BLACKOUT CUTAINS INSTEAD OF AESTHETICALLY PLEASING BLINDS FOR A HOTEL IS MORE ACCEPTABLE, too much emphasis on ''trendy'' rather than a comfort hotel all round

• Reviewed: November 2, 2018

Cheap and chic
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

Definitely exceeded my expectations. Hostels usually have some sort of reformatory, college dorm in the best of cases, feel to them. This was so fancy, very hip. The historical building is so well preserved, everything is neat and clean. The staff is so friendly. The rooms are nice and well decorated and the sleeping pods have a lot of privacy. The breakfast was reasonable.

• Reviewed: October 30, 2018

Great! I will come back!
    • Bed in Shared Quad: Female

I really enjoyed my stay here, even for 1 night only. I stayed in a women´s dorm, which was super clean, had a lot of space and was just welcoming - which is really not very normal for a dorm. It was worth all the money :)

• Reviewed: October 29, 2018

Fair price per value in Downtown
    • Bed in Shared Super-Eight: Co-Ed

I missed some more attention to details for a 4 star hotel/hostel. I use to travel to hostels, so it's not that I'm used to super high comfort levels but I missed things like hangers for the towel on the showers and lack of latches on the shared WC's for example. Also the included breakfast is quite poor, it's more like a shared kitchen and some free toasts, coffe and juice. Nothing to do with the usual included breakfast in Europe.

Its located on a very nice old building in the center of LA Downtown. A lot of attention has been paid to interiorism and decoration. Also everything was very clean. The rooftop is also a big extra.

• Reviewed: October 29, 2018

I paid $300 but it looks like college dormitory.
    • Private Quad

I paid $300 but it looks like college dormitory. No TV. too narrow room with 2 story beds. It also looks not clean. It was the worst hotel ever!!!! also front desk staff was unkind.

We Price Match