Reviews of Gild Hall - A Thompson Hotel 4 stars

15 Gold Street, Wall Street - Financial District, New York, NY 10038, USA

#41 of 415 hotels in New York

• Superior King Room

Rooms a bit dark. No warning about fire alarm testing, which then meant taking the stairs 17 floors.

Nice room with unique decor. Handy location near Fulton Street metro, making it easy to get anywhere in Manhattan. Good value relative to other options.

• Superior King Room

great hotel like most hotels in NyC they are a little small, as you are out most of the time it was a great place for comfort trend and relaxing. love it ! close to subway,starbucks and food market.

• Superior King Room

Not to much natural light, because of the skyscrapers near each other.

I was in the middle of the financial district. Saved me a lot of time because I needed to spend the whole day in the financial district area.

• Deluxe Quadruple Room

Came into town to attend a wedding in Brooklyn. Since we live in NJ this was a good location to take a quick Uber ride over to our destination. This is a lovely hotel-very upscale. The property is nicely kept and the amenities are terrific. Nice restaurant for breakfast and lobby bar is a plus. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Will definitely stay here again!

• Superior King Room

Our room was in the 18th floor and the ice machine is in the 13th floor... And that we had to leave New York...

Excellent staff! Richard and Luis are great guys. We got really early to the hotel and they tried to arrange everything so we didn't have any issues. Breakfast is simple but perfect. Eggs bacon toast coffee and juice. Perfect. We got a nice big room, a little dark but otherwise great.

• Superior King Room

Sometimes need more light. Miss a spa room for a real comprehensive good value AC noisy in the room Breakfast doesnt worth it

Warm and delicate staff. Very well located.

Booking.com got the room wrong. Description didn’t match room available initially. When we pointed this out they got us the room we thought we booked without charging any more. Hopefully this will be sorted with Booking.com in future

Warm welcome at reception, glass of sparkling wine very nice Beautiful design, very nice breakfast (choice of continental or American included in our package) Comfy bed

The hotel is on a one way street and both taxis and Uber’s have a hard time finding it even with the gps on.

They provided a play pen for the baby, super quick to check in and have everything settled. The staff is very professional and kind. I really enjoyed my short stay and it’s nice that the restaurant by the lobby was open on a holiday. Weather wasn’t the greatest so this was very helpful.

• Superior King Room

Bathroom facilities where outdated. Had a leaky toilet, made noise. Carpet in the hallway had an odd smell, probably too old.

Location is very good. Quiet atmosphere. Trendy lunge and bar area.

There is nothing to not like. Seriously!

I cannot say enough about what a wonderful experience we had. The location, room and staff were just perfect. The staff were informative, friendly, KIND and went above and beyond to make our experience wonderful. Thank you so much!

• Superior King Room

Although we only stayed here one night. Our stay was perfect. The hotel is absolutely beautiful and the staff made both the check-in and check-out process very easy.

Quiet, spacious room with very little street noise. Not the typical Thompson Hotel style - more old-school Wall Street Board room as opposed to the sleek, bright, modern style I've experienced in other Thompson hotels. (also no walk-in shower at this property) Quick, tasty room service but with limited hours. Very FIDI-centric location. Front desk staff was great!

• Superior King Room

Rooms could have more light.

The location was great. Very close to world trade centre Brooklyn bridge Staten Island ferry and very close to subway links.

• Superior King Room

Nothing. Everything we experienced met or exceeded our expectations.

I wasn't feeling well - had a back problem. The staff was very helpful and went out of their way to make me feel better.

Dark room design. Colors could be more inviting. Still a great stay.

It was quiet. Didn't hear any of the noise of NYC. Front desk folks were awesome!

• Superior King Room

more essentials in bathroom (like shower cap) bath salts, better quality of soaps

excellent breakfast and restaurant great bed, tv friendly and helpful staff!

• Superior King Room

Noisy rooms due to windows not being soundproofed. Got another room on the 2nd night but wasn’t any better and was informed by reception that all rooms would be the same. Disappointing as a quiet night’s sleep is the 1st expectation I have from a hotel. Reception staff were hit or miss: some were nice, some were indifferent.

Very comfortable bed and pillows. Some friendly staff.

Absolutely nothing!!!

Bed extra comfy -pillows to die for- huge room- upgrade -staff extremely helpful and friendly - breakfast delicious - only place to recommend for friends.

• Superior King Room

A little challenging to find the hotel the first time, the address does not interact well with Google maps. Had a problem with being provided just one bar of soap for the bathroom, using it for both the sink and the shower seemed cheap. The problem was resolved once I brought it to their attention.

Staff were friendly and helpful, soliciting assistance not just waiting to be asked for it. Communicating with the hotel during my stay via text messaging proved to be fast and easy. 5 minute walk to subway. HUGE flat screen TV. Room furnishings new and modern, bed very comfortable. I was a guest four days and would return again.

• Superior King Room

AC wasn't great, another guest's dog was barking consistently after 10 PM. (There's only so much the staff could do about the dog, which I understand, but I wish pet owners were perhaps kept in one block of rooms.)

Super friendly and accommodating staff, great interior space. Standard rooms are a decent size, everything was really clean.

• Superior King Room

inability to control temperature in room. I had to sleep with the window open to help regulate the temperture

felice. The front desk staff was extremely accomodating and helpful

• Superior King Room

I missed a water cooker. I was surprised by the 5 Dollar added to my coffee latte which I order by roomservice. Which made it USD 9,-. And the 20 dollar service charge was a surprise.

I was looking for a quiet room and a good sleep. I asked for it and got a room far away from the elevator on the 11th floor. It was a great bed and comfortable room. Great location. I didn't need a good view. The location was great, near many sight seeing spots like Wall street and ground zero WTC. Just loved it.

Not happy with the $5.00 Room Service fee making my coffee $13.99! Bring back in room coffee makers! Sink didn't drain well and bathroom door didn't close properly New room key system a hassle

Quiet comfy

• Superior King Room

The rooms were clean and what I would say a good size. The staff that greeted us were super friendly and kind. When we checked out they were equally as friendly, as well as helpful with storing our bags for a few hours while we went shopping.

• Superior King Room

One elevator was down and that resulted in l long waits. Also, some of desk staff didn’t seem to know the area very well.

Accommodations were good and met our expectations.

• Superior King Room

I was disappointed with the room. It was dark (not only the light from the windows) but in the the decor (which looked more dated in person than I expected from the photos). The website advertises rain showers in the bathroom but the shower was far from that. When I pointed this out to the staff they kindly offered me a free breakfast. This was a lovely gesture and shows the hotel cares. Breakfast was “okay”. Nothing to write home about. I was expecting A LOT more from this “luxury” boutique hotel based on what I’ve exoerienced elsewhere at properties of a similar price point. It was a let down.

The staff we’re great. Very friendly & responsive. The lobby design is stylish.

• Superior King Room

Great and friendly staff, but taking about hotel's italian restaurant I must say that is not an Italian food by its taste..Chief shall visit this country once again...

Everything except food in the restaurant

• Superior King Room

The service staff in the restaurant was very helpful, but they regularly forgot things and sometimes brought the wrong food. We stayed for ober a week in the hotel and the included breakfast was always the same (american or continental). That was unfortunately very boring. Alternatively there is also an a la cart breakfast menu, but you habe to pay extra, I think this is not ok for a stay of 8 nights.

The hotel is fantastic and everything worked out wonderfully. The hotel staff is extremely friendly! The hotel ist just next to an express subway and you’re everywhere right now.

To say something, the hot water in the bathroom at certain hours. It was fine to have a shower but definitely I would have needed hotter water.

Everything was perfect. Very kind staff willing to help whatever doubt/need you may have, clean, perfect size of the room, heavenly bed, great location, Subway located few minutes walk from the hotel. The restaurant has amazing italian food, we had dinner twice and it was great. I Will repeat if I have the opportunity!

Cost of breakfast was on the high-side. No gym or in-room exercise kit.

We were welcomed with a drink on arrival. Great location in the FiDi, with good bars in walking distance. Clean, well appointed room with hot shower (great for cool days in NYC). Staff was helpful and very nice.

• Superior King Room

Bed could have been more comfy, gym could definitely be improved given the facilities otherwise.

Loved the aesthetics of the hotel and the room. Service was great.

• Superior King Room

The staff was incredibly friendly, the hotel is clean and quiet, and also offers free WiFi. I was so impressed with everything. The price was incredibly affordable. I will definitely stay here again and I will tell all my friends about it.

• Superior King Room

I've never liked the shampoo/conditioner/shower gel. Smell is very heavy like cologne. Not great for women :)

Large, comfy beds. Quiet hotel. Great location in FiDi, quick walk to subways.

• Superior King Room

The size of the rooms were a bit small, but those are the breaks in Manhattan. Who wouldn't like more space? However, that was not a problem for me and my wife.

The hotel was was incredibly close to one world trade, no more than a 5 minute brisk walk. The venue itself was warmly welcoming, greeting you with a beautiful and quaint library themed lobby, which leads into the bar and restaurant. The eatery exhibited a a tight grip on knowledge of taste and a moderately priced menu.

• Superior King Room

The day we checked out, one of two elevators malfunctioned. The wait was well over 20 minutes. I had to take the stairs from the 8th floor...with luggage.

Good location. A few blocks from the subway. Was able to get around without a cab or Uber. I was also within walking distance from the 9/11 memorial.

• Superior King Room

Modern design, friendly staff and affordable rate. I landed early via redeye on a Saturday and they were able to accommodate early check-in at 11am plus a late check-out for a one night stay. The restaurant is also worth a visit. It's my second stay at Gild and will come back again.

• Superior King Room

The partially clear bathroom doors made privacy an issue.

The pillows and bed were very comfy and the room smelled awesome. The decor of the room and lobby was very unique and the hotel was located close to the subway so navigation throughout the city was very easy with the subway.

• Superior King Room

Only a slight issue, but the walls must be quite thin as you could hear conversations and the TV from the adjacent room. Wasn’t too much of an issue during our stay, but if you had louder than average neighbours it could become annoying. We’ve travelled to NYC over a dozen times and stayed in this hotel or the local area maybe half of the time. This means we’re familar with the neighbourhood, but a first time visitor may struggle to find their way around the financial district.

Fourth or fifth stay at this hotel. Good size room and bed for NYC, staff very helpful and friendly. Quiet location.

Would always prefer a step in shower cubicle not a bath with shower but otherwise all good.

Great small boutique hotel with lots of character and personality. Friendly and approachable staff and a great bar/restaurant. If your bored with mainstream corporate hotels this will not disappoint. Quirky, comfortable and good attention to detail.

The rooms are not so big but ok for NY standards. The only drawback of the rooms was that it was quite dark even in the day.

The most comfortable bed that I have ever slept. The room was very clean. Very nice staff. Amazing location. Would totally recommend.

• Superior King Room

Everything was amazing during my stay, staff were great and the room was very well kept. Location was convenient to most of the stuff I was interested in doing.

• Superior King Room

Our shower took 30 mins to heat up, I felt bad about the waste of water. It also sometimes didn’t get past luke warm.

Good Location, friendly staff, comfortable for the most part.

• Superior King Room

No drink making facilities in the room was a huge disadvantage

The beds were extremely comfortable with super comfortable pillows and lovely bed linens .

• Superior King Room

The heating system is very old and noisy, can't meet the heating demand when it's very cold at night. The sound insulation is poor as well, you can hear people talking in the corridor and in the adjacent room.

Good location, easy access to public transport, also quite easy to get a taxi. The room is clean and the fit-out is good.

• Superior King Room

We were there for five nights during the Christmas holidays. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room cozy. The staff was wonderful and very helpful. The wi-fi worked great. I highly recommend this hotel for people interested in exploring downtown Manhatten.

• Superior King Room

We weren’t given our breakfast vouchers on the first night and when we went down the first morning, we order from menu and were met with a €50 bill for breakfast, however when we explained to reception, they sorted it and we weren’t charged. Also the water in the room isn’t complimentary and the price tag is quite small on it so you could easily miss it.

We got a complimentary room upgrade. It was our first time in New York and everyone had told us to expect small rooms, but the room was spacious and beautifully decorated. We dined at the restaurant on the first night and while it is expensive, the food was amazing. We also got breakfast every morning included in the room rate and while selection is limited, the food was again top notch. There are loads of restaurants, delis, diners, shops and pubs close by and a lot of top attractions are within a few minutes walk. Also well connected to everywhere else by subway.

• Superior King Room

Water in shower was a bit difficult to regulate for temperature.

The staff was very accommodating! They allowed us to switch rooms to have two beds, so our son could join us.

• Superior King Room

Lobby furniture very uncomfortable... surprising because it looked so hip! I sat in the various sofas and chairs while I waited for a friend to meet me at the hotel and it was not ergonomic or easy on the back. Two of the sofas are benches along the walls. This is not a deal breaker, but was surprising since they seem to get so many things right.

Nice and quite place in southern Manhattan. Big TV. Instant hot water at good pressure. Great toiletries and towels! One block from Wall Street and all teh history.

No coffee machines in the room. No top sheet on the bed. The bathroom doors should NOT have see through glass doors.

The staff were excellent and very friendly. The decor was really nice as well.

• Superior King Room

Well it's a bit expensive, but deserved.

Fancy and cosy Hotel, perfect location in the heart of Financial District, very close to subway "Fulton St". A short walk to Battery Park, Memorial 9/11, Town Hall, Broklyn bridge, Century 21... The room was very nice with all facilities that we need. There's a very nice restaurant in the lobby, Felice, you must go!

Great property. A bit far from most of the areas we had events but once you figure out the subway it made it easier - cabs were too expensive and uber had a hard time finding the property.

• Superior King Room

Everything! Great hotel in the heart of the financial district of New York. Friendly staff, beautiful room, comfortable bed. We really enjoyed our stay!

Bathrooms were small and not a lot of space to put things. But the room was gorgeous.

Staff was amazing. The restaurant was so good we started our day each day with breakfast there. The overall experience was terrific.

Airport transfers and taxis had difficulty locating the property based on address that comes up. Billing discrepancies and hidden fees not disclosed on the fee you see when booking via booking.com

Excellent property, comfortable, clean and good location

• Superior King Room

Hidden “Resort” fee added at booking checkout but no resort facilities that I could see. Just a standard city hotel. Bathroom wall is semi-clear/semi-opaque glass all the way across. Don’t expect much privacy. And turning on the bathroom light is like turning on the main room light, so easy to awaken your partner if one is already or still asleep.

Super friendly and helpful staff. Welcome glass of Proseco.

• Superior King Room

There is no heating in the bathroom so it was freezing! We have been to NY many times before, but if you are a first time visitor, it's worth noting that the hotel is in the Financial District so (i) there isn't much going on at nighttime or on the weekends and (ii) you will have to a walk a long way or get the subway to most main tourist attractions. Steer clear of the minibar - prices are offensively high, even for NYC!

We loved this hotel. Clean, comfortable, easy access to Subways etc and quiet - almost every line imaginable goes from within a couple of blocks so it was a great base, particularly as went to see a friend in Jersey City. Perfect for our long weekend.

I have stayed at a zillion places in the Financial District. This is clearly my favorite and i will be returning. The hotel staff are friendly and the hotel facilities are wonderful. I love the feel of the place with its homeness and its quaint features.

Hotel could use an indoor pool and bigger gym facilities.

I liked that there were restaurants and a Starbucks near the property. It was quite and you didn't hear other people in other rooms. The staff was excellent. They were always helpful.

• Superior King Room

A constant low level buzzing noise coming from either the ventilation system or TV even when off.

Excellent staff, great location and quiet. First hotel lobby and common areas that smelled good. Not that stringent aromatic smell, but actually a really nice scent that made you want to linger. Great restaurant connected to it as well-Felice.

HVAC in the room didn't work so room temperature was extremely hot and could not be controlled. WIFI was free, but relatively slow -- OK for answering emails but not great for downloading files.

great, central downtown location and restaurant. very friendly staff. great breakfast menu.

I hate being charged a "service fee" or "resort fee" added onto my room. Just tell me honestly what the room costs with all the taxes and fees when I make my reservation. I always feel taken advantaged of when the local taxes and "extra fees" end up being $50 or more.

The rooms were not just clean, but pristine. My room service dinner was one of the best meals I have ever had via room service. the Fish and vegetables were fabulous. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Bigger room

Unique type of hotel, good location for subway, some good restaurants close by, hotel was very comfortable and the staff were exceptionally helpful. Nice restaurant in the hotel, we will try it next time!

• Superior King Room

This might be just me but I hate heavy duvet covers. They were quick to provide a light weight blanket when we called down to request one.

The staff were super friendly. The room was plenty big but a little dark. I guess that is typical in October in an area of tall buildings but we needed to turn every light on to feel comfortable but that did the trick.

• Superior King Room

I drove in for an event I was leading and although I'm good at navigating the city, I had to drive around the block three times before I actually found the hotel. Gold St is tucked away a bit, but 3 times a charm and the hotel was very nice. I noted above that on the weekend a lot of the eateries were closed. Just something to consider.

The hotel was lovely. My room had a BATH! which meant, I headed to Duane Reade, bought epsom salt and had a nice soak before bed. I slept so soundly. And speaking of sound, the room was relatively quiet given being in the city. The staff was so helpful, helping me figure out what made more sense, keep the car parked or take it out and move it for the day; plus offering to get me a cab if I needed one. Just a nice experience all around. Something to keep in mind - not a lot eateries were open as it was the weekend.

• Superior King Room

Staff was outstanding, friendly and thoughtful - sent us a bottle of wine to start our anniversary celebration! Additionally, we had car problems in the valet and once we identified it as a battery issue, they took care of it for us - we didn't even need to call AAA!

• Superior King Room

Our room was surprisingly spacious for New York City, and very clean and comfortable. The staff were wonderful - so warm, friendly and helpful! We were initially concerned that our dining options would be limited in the Financial District but there were loads of different restaurants, cafes and grocery stores within a few blocks, plus the Fulton Street subway station is close by and has so many different lines going through it to take you just about anywhere! I can't recommend this hotel highly enough and we would definitely stay here again.

Everything was perfect.

Perfect room, comfortable temperature....within walking distance of World Trade Centre and Battery Park, lovely for an evening stroll of a weekend. The staff were delightful and really respectful of guests' privacy. Check-in and check-out was so smooth.

It's not so much a Gild Hall thing as a Manhattan hotel thing, beware of add on taxes. A reasonable looking initial price per room can increase significantly with all taxes added on. But this is FiDi - and we got what we paid for.

This hotel is a find. On tiny Gold Street in FiDi, this hotel has been renovated to a high standard. The staff were, without exception, lovely. The bar is cool, the restaurant looked small but lovely. Bar bites were delicious. The rooms are quiet as is the area. Easy access to subway and exit from the city to the airport. The rooms are well appointed and comfortable and the small touch of a text from reception to check on comfort an or requirements makes this hotel stand out.

Coffee not provided.

During check-in my wife was provided champagne and I had a beer courtesy of the desk person. But he best part was when we had trouble getting a cab and the front desk person walked us out to street, disappeared and came back in a cab ready for us to go!

• Superior King Room

Could have included a free bottle of water in the room. 9 dollar water is a bit expensive to have in the room.

Very modern hotel decor was very nice. Location is really good so close to Brooklyn bridge and 9/11 memorial. Staff were very friendly . Was given a glass of prosecco upon arrival which was a nice touch. Very comfortable bed and on a quiet road.

• Superior King Room

Gild Hall so far exceeded my requirements and at a price point where some have barely done the minimum. The room was beautiful! Staff was ultra-attentive and responsive. Will stay here again.!

• Superior King Room

There is nothing I didn't like.

This hotel deserves a higher rating than 10. What really makes it so special are the staff. They could not have been kinder, more knowledgeable, on the ball and genuine. This is everyone we encountered. The hotel itself has a lovely feel and is in a great location which grows on you the longer you are there. So many places of interest are within walking distance and the subway is close enough to zip uptown really quickly.

• Superior King Room

There's was one night where the hallway smelled like vomit but by the time we came back it was gone!

We loved how comfy the bed was! This was our second time staying here and we love it! The customer service is always great! They greet you once you walk in and always make sure that your stay is the best! We had forgotten to print out our tickets for the Statue of Liberty and they were kind enough to print it them out for us! Their mini bar in the room is always full of goodies. We ordered room service for up to us within 20 mins! They had the BEST broccoli I had ever tasted! It was so well seasoned I couldn't get enough of it! The bathroom was very clean always fresh toilets! Will definitely be staying here again on our next stay to NY!

The hotel itself was renovated and actually little old, and interior of room and lobby were little bit too masculine taste, took time to get used to it.

Love breakfast, and wonderful and friendly front desk and house keeping service. Really comfortable to stay there, location was also great, can reach to WTC in less than 10 mins and many stores around hotels.

• Superior King Room

The lobby is not so big as it looks from the photos. Sound insulation could be better. We were woke up by the noise of other guests slamming their door in the early morning.

A nice little hotel in the heart of financial district. Great value and location. Within walking distance to wall street and 911 memorial. Room is clean and new. Hotel staff is very helpful. There is a nice cafe nearby as well.