Reviews of Good Hotel 2 stars

#173 of 230 hotels in San Francisco

6.2

Nothing honestly.
    • Courtyard Queen Room

The beds were extremely uncomfortable. We had a thin blanket. Not at all luxurious. The air conditioner was leaking the entire time. Our room was on the ground level next to where the cars parked. There was homeless people outside the window- gross and smelly air. You’d think for over $1000 for 4 nights.... you’d get a comfy room on a higher floor. I also told them three times it was my birthday, clearly they didn’t care one bit because it was the most below average experience. It was just a motel 6 basically with a different name and higher price point. Would NOT return. I’ve worked in luxury hotels previous and this is just worse than a roadie hotel. The vending machine didn’t even have water. There is absolutely no amenities. The website shows a cafe... there is none. There’s 4 plastic chairs outside. It’s also in a terrible dangerous area FULL of homeless and drifters everywhere. You can’t walk to anything unless you’re wanting to go on a super uncomfortable walk. 10/10 would never recommend to anyone.

Nothing honestly.

Stayed there many times over
    • Superior Queen Room

What’s there not to like? If there is, I didn’t find it in 20 years.

Stayed there many times over the year. Friendly clean and comfy a home away from home

clean and quiet room, relaxing decoration, friendly and...

unfort., dodgy area of San Francisco at night just round the corner. but homelessness and drugs on the streets is a general city problem...

clean and quiet room, relaxing decoration, friendly and helpful staff

K- if by myself and needed to be civic center. But no good for two business people
    • Twin Room with Two Twin Beds

Location not great based on people out on street being loud all night and early morning. Why single beds, I was promised at least twins.. most likely queens.

Easy to book and get to- decent on perm parking.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Close to Union Square 15mins walk

Very noisy, bed not very comfy, heard people yelling the whole time at night. Wouldn’t walk at night in the neighborhood! Really not worth the price for the value of the room!

Close to Union Square 15mins walk

Comfy beds and spacious with lots of space in the room for...
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Emailed them three times - twice through bookings and through their own website and took them four days to respond to the messages. The hotel has easy good access to civic centre station only one street away, but to get there you have go through an area which has a lot of homeless and drug users and groups, who looked interested that we walk through suitcases. When we got our room, we were given the wrong room. We booked two double beds and we given two single beds. This was quickly rectified. Didn't feel happy about going out night, especially waiting at civic centre bus/streetcar, so if going out at night get the number 14 bus which goes past the hotel towards the ferry area. I wouldn't say here again, I would pay the extra and say down at fisherman's wharf.

Comfy beds and spacious with lots of space in the room for the suitcases and accommodating for luggage when we had a late flight. Also I liked leaving.

Disappointed with the state of our room
    • Courtyard Queen Room

There were dead bugs on the walls. Mosquitos were in the room. I saw some sort of beetle in the dresser. We left early and did not spend the night.

Staff was friendly. Lobby was nice and clean.

If you go to SF don't stay in this area!

As this was a part of our honeymoon I might have had too high expectations but this was simply not a fun place to stay mostly because of the location which is where all the millions of homeless in SF stays. I saw people shooting heroin on the street outside.

Nothing special except the location which was quite horrible. No breakfast, mediocre rooms, just plain and below average in most aspects. Would not recommend.

Affordable, comfortable home base from which to enjoy San Francisco
    • Superior Queen Room

The noise from the hallway and other rooms was noticeable, although not a problem.

This is a good value for the money. A simple, clean hotel with an excellent staff. They accommodated our early check in request and gave us a room away from street noise. The bed was comfortable. The room was a good size with a small bathroom. Nothing was plush but everything is serviceable.

Great staff, great location for accessing places, could also...
    • Twin Room with Two Twin Beds

As accessible as location is, it borders a slightly rougher area of the city.

Great staff, great location for accessing places, could also use pool across the road! Would stay again

Would have been better at half the price.

Elevator feels like it would fall down. The room was a third the size it looked like it would be in the pic. For the price you would expect a bit more. The parking there is unsafe due to crime so there shouldn't be a fee.

Almost satisfied.

There is no fridge in the room.

Clean and comfortable. You can use gym in another hotel next to the hotel. In the room, you can drink two cups of coffee by using coffee maker. Furthermore, you can print out your ticket of aircraft freely.

Convienient central location, with on site parking
    • Courtyard Queen Room

The rooms are pretty basic and could do with modernising. The pictures make the place look more modern than it is, although the bed was quite comfy.

Probably a little misleading calling it Good Hotel, a more accurate description would be Convienient Hotel. The location is great, really close to San Francisco centre and just one block from market street which has good transport links for reaching all the tourist spots. It’s about a 10 minute walk to union square.

The room we got had hot pipes in the walls that radiated a...

The room we got had hot pipes in the walls that radiated a lot of heat, so we had to sleep with the windows open. They opened directly onto 7th street, so we got a lot of traffic noise at night. Also, the eco aspect was not really more pronounced than in any other motel, with towels being changed daily and only disposable cups.

I have nothing to say I liked other than two of the staff...

To start, the property doesn’t match the representation I got from the online websites including booking.com. The property wasn’t very clean, it was overpriced for what we received, the elevator was questionable as far as safe operation is concerned. The car would stop high or low at the floor depending on the weight in the elevator and it was 1 year 1 month out of compliance with the state. The staff (other than two people) were rude or not helpful, they charged multiple times for things that either should not have been charged for or had already been paid for. I had to go to the desk twice to argue for charges to be returned to us. The room had damage throughout, I videoed the condition to be able to prove it existed in case they tried to charge for it later. The beds were less than comfortable and the rooms didn’t smell clean either. My wife bought candles at a store to help mask the smell. The area surrounding the hotel was littered with trash, rats, homeless, drug dealers and drug users. I had to be vigilant with the people following or approaching us when we walked outside and literally had to position myself between my wife’s purse and people turning to intersect with it all the while staring them down. We were exposed to pot smoke everywhere we went, especially in the area around the hotel and even got to watch addicts sticking needles in their arms multiple times in a quest to find a vein that hadn’t yet collapsed. The special attribute to this was the blood running out of the failed attempt locations all the while they’d stare at you as though this was a normal thing. We did have some good experiences but they were far away from the hotel. Should you think about staying at the “Good Hotel” please set your expectations at that of a homeless shelter because that will basically be the experience you receive.

I have nothing to say I liked other than two of the staff members who were very friendly and helpful.

Really basic hotel.

It was really noisy! I could hear my neighbor snoring all night through the wall. Didn't have the ability to control the temperature in my room.

Staff was very friendly and helpful

An extremely poor quality hotel in every aspect.
    • Twin Room with Two Twin Beds

This is an extremely poor quality hotel. The bed was uncomfortable, the heater made a loud noise during the night and the hallway had a terrible smell. In addition, the staff was totally unfriendly except for one.

Absolutely nothing.

It was an enjoyable stay
    • Twin Room with Two Twin Beds

No breakfast (it was saying in the ad that they would have breakfast)

The price, the ideia of being sustainable, the room accommodation, pet-friendly (nice).

A cheap stay in the expensive SF area and quite central.

The area is more south of market than it is mission. We wanted to walk into mission early in the morning but had to push our way through hobos and junkies two blocks down and it lasted for about five blocks. So took an uber eventually. The chances of something bad happening are slim our driver told is but it doesn't feel like that when walking around. (And we've been to really dodgy places in the past.) The room was very cold with a window viewing a wall and the roof of the lobby next to fans so noisy. The window didn't lock. It got fixed in a sloppy way, but it does lock now. The cabinet fell over if you filled the topdrawer with clothes. You had to since the bottom one jammed. So a bit of a juggle getting stuff out. The walls are thin, the mattress hard and the safe didn't work. With the fan noise, the thin walls the hard mattress and loud guests our rest wasn't much. We expected at least a good nights rest for $130 pn (we paid $398 for three nights)

A cheap stay in the expensive SF area and quite central. Access to subway and BART literally across the street and with an uber everything is closeby. There's a good vietnamese place around the corner.

Our stay was ok, we could have looked passed it, if it wasn’t for the rude employee at check in
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

The front seat associate at check in was extremely rude and condescending. Ice machine broken, and ceiling fan really loud.

The location, it is close to all main attractions!

A crazy man yelling at the top of his lungs on the street woke me up at 3 am. I didn't feel safe

Staff was unwelcoming. When I asked the stuff what to do around the property, he said "anything" as in the sky is the limit. Never warned me about the droves of homeless, drunk, drug addicts right around the hotel specially after business hours. Matress was uncomfortable.

Nice staff, upgraded room, use of heated pool across the way.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Lights didn't turn on when switched light but the fan in each of our four rooms were blasting. Very awkward conversation on phone before I got there, almost thought about canceling.

Nice staff, upgraded room, use of heated pool across the way.

OK to crash for a day, not much more there to it.

Beds not comfortable, left with a backpain after couple of days. Also the carpets seem very old. Zero food options beyond vending machine.

Staff was friendly and helpful.

As consistent as they always are-- the staff here are...

As consistent as they always are-- the staff here are exceptional compared to other hotels in this price range. I can tell there is a deep respect and loyalty by staff for their management and the customer. I was there on what was "one of the hottest days in SF history" -- 98 degrees -- and folks flowed along as if it was any other day. For those who don't know, the Good Hotel shares a manager with 2 adjacent/nearby hotels. I think this approach to running hotels works well because problem-solving can be shared and more/different solutions can emerge. I continue to be very happy with this choice of hotel.

Staff was really helpful and friendly.

The room had a damp smell and the carpets were not clean. The room needs attention.

Staff was really helpful and friendly. We prepaid the room for 2 nights but checked out after 1 night and they refunded one of the night's.

Did the trick but room very small. Good wifi.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Staff unhelpful (eg. Provided Contradictory information, being put in a different room, unfriendly at checkin). Room not like the pictures, think we may have been downgraded?

Neat and tidy, good wifi

If you value your life. Do not stay at this hotel
    • Courtyard Queen Room

Do NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL Elevator broken Carpets filthy Herorine addicts everywhere Very dangerous

The worse experience of my life. I called Booking.com prior after reading reciews of how dangerous the area was and booking. Com did nothing.

The Good Hotel is a good hotel.
    • Courtyard Queen Room

What I expected for this type of hotel. But first time I stayed in the main hotel, and the toilet was really cool, had a sink on top so the wash water was used to fill the tank.

Second time I have stayed here. This time I was in the back, more like a Motel 6 set up. Clean room, quite space, could not hear the road from the back. I slept well. Staff very friendly. Parking available, for $35 per day, which is expected in SF.

Not what we expected
    • Courtyard Queen Room

-$35 parking fee wasn't disclosed -smelled funny like they sprayed to cover up a bad odor -nats and mosquitoes in room -had to change rooms -cramped parking -smallest room I've ever stayed in -no microwave

NOT good
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

I called 3 months ahead to ask if the rooms connect because I have a total of 8 people. They assured me that they do connect and they can do it for us, so I booked. 1 day before I got there, I double checked to make sure we got connecting rooms and they said, they will see based on availability. When I got there, they said no, none of the rooms can even connect (no door between). The rooms were completely uneven - one was huge and one was so cramped with no walking space, hot, fan/AC doesn't work, phone didn't work... Completely unfair to my guests.

The place was walking distance from the Civic Center BART station

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

Look elsewhere, overpriced, average quality at best.

Overpriced, especially for being in a bad area and that breakfast is not included. Staffs attitude was less than ideal. The bed was fairly standard, again not really worth the price.

Nothing in particular

The hotel is just fine, nothing fancy but a simple, basic...

There's no breakfast available directly at the hotel. (You can eat breakfast at their partner hotel across the street.) This is not one of the best areas of San Francisco. It didn't feel dangerous, but the area does get a fair share of homeless at night.

The hotel is just fine, nothing fancy but a simple, basic place to stay. The rooms are not super tiny, it's clean, quiet, staff is friendly and helpful. I guess the price is okay for San Francisco.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

Good location, unfortunately with a dated facility
    • Twin Room with Two Twin Beds

Their web site did not alert me that they charged $35 to park my car (+ fees). Noise and conversations from the rooms above and on both sides can easily be heard along with alarm clocks, foot falls, hair dryers and phone calls. Advertised breakfast, no breakfast was provided.

I appreciate stressing sustainable living practices.

Excellent experience in San Fran

I did not see a 'queen' size bed as listed on the website. All beds appear to be doubles/full. Not a big deal but nice to know when you're over 6 ft tall

The staff was AMAZING. After hours of phone calls they were able to get us a fantastic room with our dog. Very cool Europien vibe in the hotel (fellow patrons) I would recommend staying here to anyone traveling and needing a great customer service experience. Super close to everything even though the city is only 7 square miles it's nice to be in somewhat of a center.

• Reviewed: 4 April 2017

There is plenty of better hotels in SF!
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Poor rooms. I didnt recognise what was that Eco-friendliness. Maybe the lamp made from VOSS water bottles. Not the plastic cups for one use wrapped in plastic. Bored staff.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

Simple and clean hotel in the upcoming SOMA district
    • Twin Room with Two Twin Beds

Stuff could have been more friendly. If you are looking for up to date Hotel you have to pay more.

Simple and clean Hotel in the SOMA district near the centre. SOMA is an upcoming district with fancy places but also places who are not still there. Great if you want to explore how a city is evolving. Book a room on a higher floor and you have nice view over SOMA towards Twin Peak. You can rent bikes.

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

Nicely located and relatively quiet.
    • Twin Room with Two Twin Beds

The shower was hanging too low, and had no pressure control (pressure was way too high) making it an uncomfortable experience.

Nicely located and relatively quiet.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

no queen beds as advertised.
    • Courtyard Queen Room

Beds advertised as queen obviously onky full sized. When I said I reserved a queen, was told that, those are the biggest beds they have. Charged my card $1255 instead of the $125 rate. Still waiting for it to be credited back.

Quick check in

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

Don't plan to sleep in.
    • Courtyard Queen Room

The wifi didn't work. The house keeping neglected the "do not disturb" sign on my door; I was naked with my boyfriend in bed. impossible to sleep in with house keeping being so alarming. If I wanted the bells and wistles of the Hyatt Regency, I'd book there instead. And, the heater DID NOT heat the room. Warm rooms and restful atmosphere would've be great. The décoré in the photos are cute but the room did not look the same in person. All motels are like this I've comed to realize.

The location was great, the stocked the vending machine promptly after my mentioning there being no water.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

Sleeper in the City
    • Courtyard Queen Room

The staff was a little unwilling to help and a manager one day tried to kick me out because he didn't run my card right.

Big surprise here..super super nice!

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

Sparse room, unsafe neighborhood, terrible value
    • Courtyard Queen Room

My room was literally a motel room disconnected from main hotel in a terrible / unsafe neighborhood. $450 a night...terrible value for money. Most people wouldn't feel safe in this room...and the room was sparse. Don't stay here.

Leaving

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

It's an ok hotel with a good location

Pictures are very different from the reality. Hotel is quite old, room is way smaller than you actually see in the pics, there were little cockroaches in the toilet and bedroom every day (not sure if that is expected in that area, maybe).

Location is very good! Close to trams, trains, buses, in the heart of soma! Staff also very friendly and ready to help. I love the effort to preserve the nature and recycle water.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

Clean, good location but noisy
    • Twin Room with Two Twin Beds

the window was not sealed, so very noisy at night; there was no refrig in the room; no free parking lot

clean, very close to I-80 so was a nice choice for our last stay in SF. Can take pet in for $20 plus tax per night. The parking lot costs $35/day, so we parked at nearby lane which was free until 7 am in the morning

They ask for deposit and watch your money slowly drop on your account

The staff at front desk were horrible (except for Kristin, she was helpful). They were rude, un-helpful & liars! Their policy on the deposit money is rediculos and they withheld extra money ($450) from my account by mistake and would not work with me pr the bank when we were trying to resolve ot.

The room was decent

Close to the venues we were visiting.
    • Courtyard Queen Room

Only 2 pillows. No extra blankets and the ones there were not very warm. Extremely loud neighbors bordering on domestic violence at 3 am. Tried to call the front desk and the phone didn't work. Called on my cell and all security said to neighboring room was "I'm sorry to bother you but can you please be a little quieter?". Which did not make them quiet down. Not much parking. Did not feel safe walking out of my room at night.

Close to the venues we were visiting. Pet friendly.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

Conveniently located and priced cheaper but I would pay more for a better accommodation.
    • Superior Queen Room

There was a bedbug on our first night, we had to transfer to a second room. It was a hot night and I called the front desk to ask for a fan and was on holf for 15 minutes and I just hung up.

The effort to recycle water and use of reclaimed materials deserves a nod but not impressive.

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

...just ok...
    • Courtyard Queen Room

Not a great location. the Bathroom was not super clean... They talk about "free breakfast" but it's just complimentary coffee...

They tried to make something "cute" out of something really poor...

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

The Good Hotel was pretty good
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Some small things were a bit off. The light in our bathroom didn't always work and the elevator was a bit janky. But otherwise it was a solid place.

Love the energy-forward mentality of the facilities. The bed was comfortable and the room was a good size. The hotel itself was pretty close to both buses and the BART.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

Good by name good by nature

The area does have a lot of homelessness and can be quite noisy however if the window is closed you don't hear anything. I would not discount this hotel just because of area. The whole of San Fran has an issue with homelessness and you will see it no matter where you go. My husband and I used uber at night and had no issues.

The staff were very friendly and accommodating. The room was small but a perfect size for our stay and the bed was very comfy. We had maid service every day and they room was always presently made up when we returned from our days adventure. Expensive for what the hotel is, however this is San Fran and if you want a lot more than a. Only bed you better be prepared to pay huge sums of money for it (not worth it in my opinion, especially as this bed was so comfy)

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

Great Value. Location, cleanliness, and overall stay was superb!
    • Courtyard Queen Room

Um... we stayed in the courtyard and there were people speaking right outside our window very early in the morning at what sounded like the top of their lungs. I can't blame the hotel for that, but maybe some signage outside of the rooms reminding people to be quiet would be helpful.

I loved how clean and modern the room was. They are also a green hotel which is great! One thing that was super awesome is the size. No, its not huge, but I've stayed in places that felt like half the size for more $$. Also it had its own private shower, yay!

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

Great Motel, sweet staff. Not too expensive.
    • Courtyard Queen Room

It was a bit cold at night, and there was no extra blanket, but I got one the next evening.

The outside rooms, near the courtyard / parking lot are great. For SF it has a really okay rate. It's not luxurious, but just really okay, clean and central.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

Mae sure you request ot stay in the 'Hotel' and not the 'Motel' part of this place!
    • Courtyard Queen Room

It's not advertised as a MOTEL but that is exactly what it was... Also, the photos were a little misleading. I couldn't sleep very well given the homeless activity going on in the courtyard on two of the three night stay... also, lots of road noise. The bed couldn't been cozier as well.

Location... despite the overabundance of homeless in the area, it was very convenient.

Staff was kind and helpful
    • Twin Room with Two Twin Beds

I've stayed there 7 yrs ago and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately there haven't been any renovations within the past 7 years and the rooms are pretty run down. Also the area is gotten way worse in terms of homeless people one the street and so on

Staff was kind and helpful

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

THE WORST experience in THE GOOD hotel!

Everything! it was my worst experience ever! it was a noisy, small, smelly, uncomfortable room. More like a bad dorm room than a hotel room. The toilet sink drain was clogged. Staff were not helpful. It was so small that I did not need to leave the bed if I wanted to open the door or close the window or ... Also, they charged my credit card before checkout and without asking if I want to use my credit card. I was not suppose to pay for that trip, but I did! Thanks to the GOOD hotel! Overall, I encourage everyone to stay away form this place!

Basically nothing! I thought the price. But I was wrong, I could have gotten much better places with less money.

Staff was nice and room was comfortable.
    • Courtyard Queen Room

Lots of homeless people and drug addicts in the neighbourhood, parking was very expensive

Staff was nice and room was comfortable.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Good experience will stay there again.
    • Twin Room with Two Twin Beds

Clean room, near restaurants .

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Disappointed
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

It would be fine for half of the price

Too expensive for the price.

Very good and clean hotel. We were happy.

Beds are a little hard.

Very close to downtown.

Fair
    • Twin Room with Two Twin Beds

I think breakfast its necesary

Id like the location and the service

The staff was very helpful.

The staff was very helpful. The place was clean and security was good.

Always a ""good" place to stay in SF.
    • Twin Room with Two Twin Beds

Always a ""good" place to stay in SF.

Small shower I could barely fit in and very uncomfortable...
    • Twin Room with Two Twin Beds

Small shower I could barely fit in and very uncomfortable mattress other than that, it was great.

A solid option, but not my top choice.
    • Courtyard Queen Room

The room was worn out and it didn't seem super clean.

The staff was supportive and helpful

The Good Hotel is comfortable and good value for money.
    • Superior Queen Room

The Good Hotel offers value for money. Rooms cleaned well daily. Friendly staff. Quiet.

It ok

Choice of room

It ok

I enjoy the positivity.
    • Courtyard Queen Room

I enjoy the positivity. Came here in an emergency transition and I can't feel down for longer than 20 mins in here.

Location is great!
    • Courtyard Queen Room

Location is great! Walk to an awesome coffee shop and brewery across the street. Easy to uber around.

Not a lot

Small scruffy room, hard bed, tiny window, bathroom you could barely turn around in, it all made me feel sad.

Not a lot

Location, cleanliness, good price

Very expensive parking, old building, bad sound isolation

Location, cleanliness, good price

Nice staff
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Beds, they were very comfortable and small

Nice staff

The towels are discolored, rm is small.
    • Courtyard Queen Room

The towels are discolored, rm is small.

Price

Toilet ran all night. Fan noise was loud

Price

Location is good.
    • Twin Room with Two Twin Beds

Location is good. Staffs are very nice.

It's not clean and to loud

It's not clean and to loud

suited my needs

Not the greatest area

Parking was free as I drive a hybrid, staff friendly, room clean and comfortable