Reviews of Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown 3 stars

310 Pearl Street Northwest, Grand Rapids, MI 49504, USA

#17 of 33 hotels in Grand Rapids

• Executive King Room

the bathtub was filthy, room furnishings were old had executive king room couch was extremely worn, room was located across from elevator so I could not sleep due to noise of people outside could hear conversations all night long due to kids running up and down the hall and drunk people from the bar, breakfast staff was unfriendly and meal was sub par not a great experience for paying $263 for the room very disappointed

the only thing good about this hotel was its location in downtown grand rapids

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I had dinner in the hotel restaurant on the 1st floor, and wasn't impressed about the food there... Decent breakfast but I will recommend to find better restaurants for lunch and dinner. Everything else is good.

Clean room, good service and great location. The museums and the Grand Rapids downtown are all within walking distance. The price is reasonable compared to the other hotels within the same area. I'm very satisfied with my stay here.

• Standard Room

Book.com booked us for the cheapest room available at the time we checked in not what they had shown us and promised us. Holiday Inn was not prepared to serve the volume of guests needing to eat breakfast and be at their meetings at 8 am despite knowing their were 2000+ people in town for a convention at the Amway Grand and others in town for other events. they were "full". One poor lady was trying to seat all of the people in line as tables became available and take the money of the people buying concessions. After that most of us ate elsewhere.

The manager corrected Booking . com's negligence after the 2nd night and the stay was very nice. First 2 nights were not what I booked and payed for and were very unpleasant. I booked TWO beds and book.com booked ONE bed so I slept on a very poor rollaway. After I spent the 2nd night in the lobby reading so as not to awaken my roommate they moved us to the room we had originally booked and paid for in December. Our stay was May 1st.

See above comments

Room too small, lighting terrible, bathroom tiny, bathroom and sink location and the lighting was inferior. Staff was great, and made up for the other deficiencies. The toilet paper was horrible. Should have brought my own, no refrigerator. The "business" center was a joke! Will not book there again.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

As with most hotels, at night there is always some light from the hallway that is able to come through the cracks around the room door. Not sure why hotels have not been able to solve this problem.

The central location of the hotel. Everything I was interested in was within 15 minutes walking. I didn't have to use my car the whole time I was there. Also, I was able to get a room with a view of the Grand River.

• Standard Room

Although the hotel is under renovations it was shabby and needed it but I wish I would have known that before booking. The TV did not work and could not be fixed and that is a huge fail!

location and the staff was very nice

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We needed more bath towels. We booked for four people and realized we had two bath towels the following morning. We called the front desk and housekeeping and neither answered.

The candy wrappers under the foot stool that weren't ours, the piss all over the wall and back of the bathroom door, the clogged sink, the black hairs on the white sheets that were not mine or my husband's

The guy at the desk was super nice when we checked in.

Tap water tasted like pool water. Elevator was dim and in questionable repair.

Location was great. Right near the pedestrian bridge and close to the BOB and Van Andel Arena. Staff was very helpful. Plenty of parking.

Pool was very small. The service in the dining room was very slow food wasn’t that good. It was kinda loud in the room being near the highway

The bed was very comfortable. Room was clean.

• Double Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

Reserved a room online and it didn’t show up in the system even though I had a conformation email. After it took 3 staff to help us they found the reservation under my guests name. Turned out the reservation I thought I booked (a king room) was in fact a double room and staff could not switch it. Price was very high. Email said breakfast voucher would be given for $20. Did not receive until showing staff the email at which point a voucher was “created”.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Rooms were ridiculously small. No ventilation in bathrooms. No refrigerator in room, you could add for an additional cost. No continental breakfast, you could purchase at additional cost. No nfortunately I booked through a hotel booking app and it claimed this was all included at the cost .

• Double Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

No fridge in the room. It is very close to a highway and noisy. Restaurant service might be a bit slow.

Staff is very friendly. And I got a dinner for free because they didn't serve it on time.

• Double Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

The hotel in general was more rundown then expected - you pretty much are paying for the location which is great! You can walk right downtown. I had ordered room service to be delivered at 9:15 as I had a conference to get to, it didn't show up so I had to call and was transferred and hung up on, called again and they said it was on its way. It ended up getting there a little after 9:30 and there was no salt, pepper, ketchup or jelly and the eggs were not cooked good. Very disappointing.

Good Location

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel is near a main road and railway track, which can be heard through the night. The fan heater woke me up through the night and was a bit fiddly to use. (I was jet-lagged from the UK, so the noise may have affected me more than a domestic traveller.) The hotel offers to provide ear-plugs, but I know from experience that ear-plugs would not have helped me. The hotel is expensive. $148+ per night. This is still cheaper than the local competition. A taxi to or from the airport for 2–5 people will cost between $30 and $40. Taxis from the airport charge a ridiculous $12 per 'extra' stop, even if on the same route – bear this in mind if planning to share a taxi from the airport with someone staying at a nearby Downtown hotel (this did not affect my rating of the Holiday Inn, of course). There are no convenient stores nearby. Everything close is quite expensive ($2ish, for a chocolate bar at 'Z's', for example). There are three mini-supermarkets about 6 blocks away from Downtown on 'Fulton'. People in the city centre will not direct you to these if you ask for directions to a shop (perhaps because they are a bit of a walk away), but they do exist! There is a 24hr coffee shop, a Dairy Queen, McDonalds, and some other shops on 'Fulton'.

The staff were friendly and quick to help. The hotel is close to the two main museums in the city and not too far from the Grand Rapids Art Museum. There is a Burger King nearby, which is good because the Downtown / Uptown area is generally expensive (around $20 per head for a meal, a drink, and a 20% tip). The Downtown area is small, so all the big hotels are within walking distance from each other. The Founder's Brewery and the Downtown Market are only 20 minutes walk away – both are worth a visit. (The market is more of a food-court than a shopping market; unless there are parts that I did not find.) Head towards 'Ionia' for some good, busy bars and restaurants. 'Monroe Centre' is good, too, but a little quieter. Both places are close to each other – one road crosses the other.

• Double Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

Front desk needs more employees - not adequately staffed. Bathroom sink is in the room; very little counter space.

Location and parking included in room rate.

• Double Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

The hotell lobby smelled the room smelled damp I coughed all night the tub was dirty never stay here again too much money for such a basic hotel

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

This hotel has an incredible location - right off the highway and near downtown! Parking is very easy to find & secure behind the hotel. The staff at check in was very friendly & efficient! Our room was clean as was the lobby & bar / lounge area. The hotel also has a convenience store in the lobby with snacks & sundries. A great place to stay!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was small and the hallway smelled strange. Luckily the room didn’t smell. The beds were small and the temperature control in the room was finicky. It was either blasting the air conditioning or heat. There was no happy medium.

The staff was nice and helpful, the room was clean, the location was great, parking was plentiful. Walking distance to dining, entertainment venues, and bars, and close to the highway.

• Double Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

I absolutely want to recommend the Pearl Grill restaurant! It is one of the best hotel restaurants I have ever tried. Superb food! Thank you so much to the chef!

• Double Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

There was a smell that I couldn't get away from or cover up. I brought my own deodorizer and the smell was still there afterwards. It was a musky smell that lingered. :-(

I like you don't use comforters on top of the beds, I can tell everything is clean.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The couch in the lobby has seen better days and I sunk to lower levels than I wanted. The air conditioning in my friends room needed some maintenance.

The breakfast was absolutely outstanding. The desk people were knowledgeable and helpful. This hotel is also easy to get to and we could walk everywhere we wanted downtown. Free parking was a huge plus as was the free breakfast. Very comfortable beds.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Overpriced because of the Art Fair created demand. I have stayed at this hotel before with no issues but this time I was given a room on the 6th floor at the end of the corridor toward the highway. It was poorly soundproofed and I felt like I was trying to sleep in the middle of the freeway. It was unbelievably noisy. We got no sleep. Also the hotel seemed overwhelmed by the crowds. The room was not as clean as it should have been.

The bed was really comfortable. The location was super especially for Art Prize.

• Double Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

They were aware that we had 4 guests in the room so it would have been nice if they had supplied us with at least 4 towels to start with and 4 glasses but it was easily fixed.

The staff was very accommodating. It was easy to confirm my reservation, we were able to get a refrigerator and early check in, extra towels were supplies without issue. Great stay. Lots of outlets in the room.

Walls were very dirty and paint was chipping. Rooms smelled musty. No continental breakfast and restaurant was not that great. Location was great for our concert, but very expensive for a Thursday night

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Light went out in the bathroom. Staff wasn't super friendly.

Loved the location, as I was throwing a bachelorette party and the bars were within walking distance.

• Double Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

It smelled in the hallway which seeped into our room. It was a cross between garbage and sewer.

Convenient location, our room had a nice view of downtown, the staff was pleasant

Outdated, noisy A/C, freeway noise in the room, dirty roomservice dishes in the hallway that are still there 12 hours later, limited breakfast menu

Perfect location, close to all the access routes, easy parking

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

cash payment requires an additional $250 deposit, and after being paid in cash and arriving at the hotel, i ended up having to walk two miles to get to a bank to avoid the fee.

the bed was incredible. lobby lemonade was on point. shower pressure was nice. staff was more than willing to accommodate, providing extra conditioner, a razor, and ear plugs when the adjacent room ended up having a crying baby. will definitely stay again!

• Double Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

At check in, I was treated as second class because I had booked through booking.com instead of directly. Twice, when I asked a question about the room, I was told that if I had booked through the front desk instead of through booking.com, I would have had the answer. We ended up with a double bed room for five days. When I asked to move to a room with a queen bed, I was told, I could do that if I was willing to move out one night and move back in the next night. I was curious why the person who was staying one night got more priority over my five night stay. I got a strong impression that the answer was booking.com. This hotel took my money 28 days early. But they did let me change the dates of my stay by cutting one day off the front and adding one day to the end.

Except for the front desk clerk at check in, people were very kind and helpful. The restaurant manager let us eat even though the restaurant was closing in three minutes.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The beds were not that comfortable. The door stop for the bathroom door is right next to the toilet. My wife stubbed her toe on it and I just stepped on it in the middle of the night. Bathroom set up is just to tight.

Nice and clean..

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Perhaps the slight noise from the highway but that's a stretch. This is a great place to stay.

Very clean and comfortable. Pearl Street Grill located in the hotel. The pool was nice and the hot tub nicer. We enjoyed both museums located directly across the street and the very short walk (8 minutes) into downtown where we had ice cream and listened to music coming from a festival in the park. Can't wait to visit again.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

One gest got into hot tub across from my wife only wearing underwear.

It was good distance from our venue. Pool was available without too many people. Room was quiet.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We could hear the highway traffic from our room. It didn't bother me at all, but my partner found it tough to sleep with that in the background.

VERY convenient to all downtown activities - which is why we were in Grand Rapids.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bathroom switch should be a lot closer to the bathroom or in the bathroom. its very hard to find in the middle of night when you have to go to the bathroom.

The location was perfect.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The location was fantastic. Very close to all of the downtown venues. We stayed here because we were participating in the local Fifth Third River Bank Run. This hotel was just a couple of minutes from the start line so we had a great night sleep, had a delicious breakfast and could still get to our event with plenty of time to spare. We are planning on staying here again next year for the Run.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The electrical outlet between the beds wasn't working so I couldn't use my c-pap machine which created a noisy experience for my friend and a bad night sleep for me. (sore throat and head ache).

parking and location

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The wifi was incredibly slow. I was not able to open any of the web browsers that I needed to get to because the connection was sloth-like.

Bed was comfortable, and room was clean.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

• Double Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

This is not a complaint, it is feedback. We checked in about four o'clock in the afternoon. The front desk clerk was not customer service oriented. She did not smile nor seem to be happy to help the guests. Because I booked through Booking.com, she wouldn't accept my ID, even though the credit card for payment was in my name. I had to go out to the vehicle to have my husband come in to the hotel to present his ID. When we arrived at the front desk again, the night manager waited on us. He also did not smile and acted as if we were an inconvenience. We stayed at this location for five nights and were never greeted at any time when we passed by the front desk. We are also in the hospitality industry and would never accept this type of customer service from our employees. We have been traveling for three months and this was the only hotel in which the front desk staff was not customer oriented. The housekeeping staff that we encountered during our stay, were very friendly. When we entered the elevator, we noticed the carpet was dirty, but thought it would be clean the next day. Each day we noticed the elevator carpet had not been swept with a little more debris on the floor. The morning we were going to check-out, after our fifth night, the same trash was still in the elevator with more that had accumulated. It obviously had not been swept since we arrived. There was no frig or microwave and we paid more than at other hotels. We will not stay here again, unless things change. Again, this is feedback so that positive corrections may be made.

The convenience of an on-site restaurant

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Doorway into room was cramped due to small closet area and sink within the same space. A bit awkward but manageable.

Staff were super helpful and kind, facility was in god shape and very clean, and the free parking was a huge plus.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

• Double Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

Everything was great. However I booked a double room and when I checked in they gave us a single room. Maybe I should have fussed about it about I didn't.

Location was awesome. Within walking distance to several museums and great restaurants.

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

kept turning down the heat and it kept coming back to 70. went to vending machine and wouldn't take cash, lost a dollar had to go all the way back for a card

food good. staff happy to answer questions and assist. hash browns nice and crispy

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Everything was so wonderful! I loved that the pool and hot tub was open until 11 PM, everyone was so friendly, the convenience of being downtown, available breakfast, and best of all- price! Super clean hotel- the water pressure was perfect. The beds were cozy. We will definitely be back.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The Free WiFi was unreliable and due to the location is quite noisy.

Location is great for walking around Downtown and also for exploring further as it's right next to both freeways.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

• Double Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

Hotel smelled of cabbage - didn't look or smell fresh. Rooms had a musty smell. Swimming pool very very chemically. Bit expensive, but location very good.

Very close to Downtown. Nice staff. Decent breakfast in the diner.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

What I did not like was not the Holiday Inn, but the fact that the Booking company did not have my Name Right, and I had to go through the a longer check in. Not the hotel but how I was booked.

All meals were good.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Hotel loaner bicycle not available as advertised (the staff said they stop this service on labor day) -- having a bike was a factor in choosing this hotel No main light in the room! Instead, you individually switch on many desk and pedestal lamps.

Location Pool & Spa Microwave in room Good wifi Big room

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

Bed could have been more firm. A basic free breakfast would have been nice.

Room was clean and bed was well-made. Location was great. We were on the 8th floor so we didn't have much traffic noise.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

CD player did not work although it was quickly taken care of. We had was nice friendly breakfast waitress but her supervisor called her away to chastise her for a kitchen issue while she was taking our order. Very bad timing. Mold on the flower stems that were on our table.

Nice staff. Nice overall place.

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was relatively small for the price.

Excellent location...across the street from Ford Presidential Museum and tomb and within walking distance of restaurants and breweries. The staff was exceptional.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

Unbelievable all-night distracting sounds ... traffic, train, motorcycles, guests running through halls at 2:30 am. Morning restaurant service was slow, unresponsive, and very frustrating.

Foam pillows

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Standard Room

Beds and bathrooms very small. Due to the central location, street noise and hallway noise can be disruptive.

Location is perfect for walking around Downtown to visit local attractions and restaurants. Close to freeways as well. Staff was helpful and accommodating.

• Reviewed: 6 July 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very Noisy. No Lock Box or Refrigerator in Room. Onsite restaurant (Service was extremely slow and food was not that great).

Location. The Staff. The Bar.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Bathroom had no fan and light switch was on the outside. A/C unit was louder than expected.

Location is good with ample parking.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Pool too small for much swimming.

Food in grill was fabulous. Fresh, creative and wonderful combination of flavors. Free parking appreciated.

Good location in the city.

• Standard Room

Room looked and felt a little aged.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

it is completely run down and the service was terrible.

Had to rent fridge

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Nothing, my stay was great

Bed was comfortable

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Mattress was very hard and the blankets felt like they were made out of straw.

Very pretty view and great location!

• Double Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

I put my breakfast request on the door before 10PM but they failed to pick it up. I called room service and they took care of it right away.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Soundproofing could have been better. Traffic noises were fairly loud.

The food at the on-site restaurant was excellent!

• King Room with City View

Shower could have been hotter

Staff was fantastic!

Staff was rude and unhelpful.

Easy location. Accessible to downtown area.

The elevator.

The staff were helpful and friendly.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The service and food available and the price.

Liked the location.

• Double Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

Service, temperature of the room, the bed and the price.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Overpriced for small beds, no microwave, no fridge, no free breakfast

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I wish there had been a robe in the room, otherwise it was great.

Front desk was very kind and personable!

No continental breakfast????

The lounge in the lobby. :)

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

No breakfast or even coffee other than room pot. Pretty average room for the price

Pet and environmental policies. Location was central

Restaurant food was excellent

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

no complementary breakfast. Room was small. I had no trash bags in my room and ice machine didn't work on 4th floor.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was no fridge in the room.

It was helpful to be able to bring our dog.

Browse Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown traveller photo gallery