Reviews of Grand Wailea Resort Hotel & Spa, A Waldorf Astoria Resort 5 stars

3850 Wailea Alanui Drive, Wailea, HI 96753, USA

#13 of 40 hotels in Wailea

• Grand Deluxe Queen Room with Ocean View - Mobility Accessible

Hidden costs in that area if the world. Big parking and resort fees daily; so just factor that into your budget.

Water and coffee at various locations that were complimentary. Their little take out cafe has good food at reasonable prices. Huge pizza for $22, that would feed 4 people.

• Terrace King Room

Service could have been better. It felt like box standard Hilton service, not what you would expect in a high end hotel. Details were not attended to. No nice restaurant for lunch. Spent more time at the Four Seasons next door, which is same price but impeccable.

The beach is beautiful and location ideal

See above.

The pool was overly crowded. The rooms were ok. Very dated and drity grout. Bedding clean but rooms themselves felt dirty. Broken safe had to wait entire day for room change. Rooms super far from everything.

• Terrace Room With Two Queen Beds

We were disappointed that one of the water slides and the water elevator were not working. We saw online that the slides and other areas would be closed later in the year for renovations/repairs so thought all would be available now. My kids were disappointed that there was only the one slide as they had been looking forward to riding both and the elevator.

The Grand Wailea is always wonderful. They were very welcoming and helpful at check in, and gave us a rollaway bed so our boys didn't have to share a bed. They were able to switch our room so that we were closer to the pool, which was great for our kids. We enjoyed the grounds and the music in the lobby, as well as the beach and pools.

• Terrace King Room

The resort charged an overly pricey mandatory daily resort fee and valet parking fee. The resort did not have any shuttle service to the airport, golf courses or restaurants. The addition of an in room microwave would have been much appreciated. In order to secure beach/lounge chairs, one had to be down by the beach/pools by 8:30 AM. The pool cabanas were grossly overpriced.

The room and bathroom were spacious and lovely with a small but adequate mini refrigerator. We received a surprise free fruit basket. When we accidently left my carry on luggage at the car rental site, Ernie the valet went out of his way to research if my bag was still there. (Thankfully, it was.) We loved being met with an orchid lei for me and a strand of large kukui beads for my husband.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Ocean View

BEACH FAR more eroded than pics show(!) & it & pools were wall-to-wall people like cheap resort or public beach. U COULDN’T WALK on beach(!) b/c every INCH was crammed w/llounge chairs & umbrellas. Any chance of being able to enjoy being outside in Maui at expensive resort would have required setting alarm & walking literally 12+ min to beach & pools fm our terribly located room (called ocean view, but insanely FAR fm ocean!) to claim chair right up against other guests so zero privacy. Extremely expensive considering these things & fact that rooms were WAY overdue for total overhaul! Very dirty, old carpet, mattresses sunk down where one sleeps b/c so old, bathtub fixtures had crusted on filth from years of rushed “cleaning” w/poor(!) products! Pubic hair on bench in shower upon arrival!! 14 min WALK fm our terribly located rm to restaurants when ANY hotel I’ve stayed at that is even 1/2 the size of G Wailea has had employees in golf carts to take u to crazy distances like that & more direct routes! Then signs almost non-existent to help locate ANYTHING. Service during lunch & dinner abysmally slow. Menus disappointing except room service. Some of the front desk personnel were very poorly trained and gave out misinformation about critical things. For example, the hours & days their on property Fed X office was open, putting me in a terrible bind the day I was checking out and needed to ship things home that would never fit in my luggage! They also never followed up on important things like my lack of internet service in my room I called about numerous times, but that was NEVER made available(!) and they never called to see if it had finally been fixed. I have yet to receive my final bill in the mail and I left the resort 8 days ago!

Room service staff was good, gave accurate times for delivery, came to get dirty dishes in reasonable time, housekeeping did the best they could it seemed to me given how badly the whole room needed to be overhauled. Shop employees were kind and helpful as were spa employees. Property was pretty, just unmanageably big and way too crowded. Check in went smoothly, but still haven’t received finalized bill in mail as normally would have when don’t have time to go over bill with front desk prior to leaving. Was close to great shopping, had wonderful shops within resort and had many restaurants nearby but took a long time to get a cab to take you up steep hill to reach them... they should have had a shuttle(!) to that abundant restaurant/shopping area b/c 1/2 mile not worth renting a car for $30/night just to park it at resort. The concierge desk was VERY helpful and nice. In summary, most employees were lovely, kind and helpful, but seemed like they were struggling with being under-staffed at various times/ places.

• Grand Deluxe King Room with Ocean View - Mobility Accessible

Drizzled a little. That prevented me from going to the pool and beach but they did a great job keeping the place as dry as possible.

Very friendly staff. Facility was great. Food was great as well. They gave me a really good upgrade as well. I look forward to my return trip in 6 weeks.

• Terrace Room With Two Queen Beds

They were too strict with pool usage. We wanted to have 2 visitors but they were quite strict with that. The hotel should mention this during time of booking if this is an issue. Also, there was no conditioner or toothbrush or paste. For how expensive this resort is, you would not expect them to cheap out on amenities but they were missing many essentials.

Resort was beautiful and pool was great

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Ocean View

The grounds were under construction, there was pneumatic tool noise all day, all pools except one were closed. We were not informed, or we'd have rescheduled.

• King Room with Ocean View

Best beach we visited on Maui. The amenities in the Napua tower were great. The kayak/snorkel tour and all the activities offered at the resort were amazing. The entire staff and luxurious accommodations made this the perfect place to spend the last few days of our honeymoon.

• Terrace Room With Two Queen Beds

Even though the pools and facilities were great there was an added cost for most things. It was particularly disappointing at the lack of shade available at the pool unless you will willing to pay for it. The ground at the pool was also very hot to the point you were unable to walk on it - quite unsafe.

The rooms were comfortable and the staff super friendly. Enjoyed the pools and that beach.

• King Room with Ocean View

Unpleasant and non helpful stuff at the reception during both checkin and checkout. No useful information was given at the reception. Coffee & juice are of a very poor quality. Furniture getting old and over used!

Great room upgrade for our honeymoon Big comfortable rooms (ours was with a big balcony and an ocean view) Pool with warm water and jacuzzi running till late in the evening Beautiful hotel garden design Great beach Classy shopping mall and Golf fields close by Free Bikes available for use at the main entrance Great luau show performed inside the resort Kind and helpful concierges (Jonah and Ivy)

• Deluxe King Room with Garden View

Additional costs of daily resort tax and compulsory valet parking. Additional $62/day which was a hidden cost. This was in addition to the room tax applied daily.

• Terrace King Room

Our stay was incredible- we couldn't have asked for more in terms of staff, room, cleanliness, location and amazing food on site! The beach was beautiful and grounds are absolutely amazing! We will be back and wouldn't consider staying anywhere else!!

• Deluxe King Room with Ocean View

The door nob, the showe forcet, the pen in the room were broken or in very bad shapes. You'll have to go into the room to notice the room doesn't have typical amenities like tooth brush and all and have to call the housekeeper and wait... I didn't get comfortable time for $800/night rate. The side bed was not very good... At a restaurant, MAHU MAHU, we had a reservation at 8pm and we were there before the time but the fist dish was served at 8:38 and the drinks were served even later although there was no one else waiting at the entrance and over half the table were empty because most people had already finished dinners. These were all my first experiences at a hotel...

The views and exterior designs

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Garden View

Be prepared for the amount of people you will find at the pools and on the beaches. Both are extremely crowded. Everything comes at a charge. It was disappointing that beach basics weren't included in the daily resort fee: boogie boards and snorkel gear seems like a standard -- at least one or the other. By providing some beach items at no charge during the stay I believe hotel guests would feel less 'taken' by other charges, such as a beach cabana at 150 a day, a cabana by the pool 300. Breakfast buffet comes in high per person (family of 4 cost 155) going a la carte is more economical or hit the cafe on the 4th floor. Prices are still high but much more family friendly especially if you are staying a week.

From the second you come into the driveway of the Grand Wailea, you know you are somewhere special and you are in Hawaii. The architecture and grounds of the hotel are absolutely stunning. For an older hotel the upkeep is impeccable. The beauty of the hotel cannot be underscored enough. The rooms and bathrooms are generous in size which lends to very a comfortable stay especially if you are there for more than a few days. The staff is very friendly and your happiness is their mission. Visit the bar. The staff is friendly and makes evening cocktails a delight. The HumuHumu restaurant is an absolute must. The experience is out of this world and the food 👌🏻! Treat yourself and you won't be disappointed. Down the street at the mall there is a Tommy Bahamas. Great food as well and a really nice atmosphere. If you have teens or kids that like to shop, they'll enjoy the mall. The General Store at the Mall is also a great place to can purchase amazing bento meals, Poke, rice dishes, etc to bring back to the hotel and enjoy on the grounds at a fraction of the price. We also stocked up on water and things for the fridge in the room, sunscreen, etc.

• King Room with Ocean View

Had a guest pass from a family member who has a membership. I got significant attitude when attempting to use this. To the extent thst I was told "this has no value.... I am not going to take it (at the pool restaurant on the property). I stopped even utilizing it and received no benefit from my family member's membership (with official card from membership office). If you dont pay even basic courtesy to your membership benefits, you have a staff problem.

Breakfast was excellent. Staff at the Botero bar were bery gracious and efficient. When I showed my guest card from my family's membership, I got immediate acceptance and explanation of benefit. This was the ONLY time this was recognized on property.

• Deluxe King Room with Garden View

I was there for only one night and had no bad experiences.

food was very good and food service was excellent. Spa and massage services were very good. Wish I could have stayed longer.

• King Room with Ocean View

Forced valet parking at $30 per day! The room was represented to be an ocean view but you could not see the ocean unless you were by or on the lanai and even then it was only a very small partial view The room was very out-dated -we felt like we were in Grandma's 1990's Florida condo. It had no Hawaiian decor at all. The mattress was not comfortable and was to small for the frame-pillows kept falling behind the mattress and my husband stubbed his toe a couple of times on the protruding bed frame. The TV was In a location that was difficult to watch from the bed. $15 to $20 cocktails, $300 for a small covered 2 person lounger(called a casabella) and $1200 for the use of a cabana! They over-charge for EVERYTHING (except water)!

Beautiful grounds. Hummu Hummu restaurant was excellent! They give a lot of free bottled water.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Ocean View

Food was not as expected. It was average. We booked an Ocean View room but what we got was a partial view of the Ocean.

Services, facilities, organizing

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

• Deluxe King Room with Ocean View

Pool was wonderful! Large. Fun. Interestingly constructed. Water elevator, plenty of water falls and slide...a tarzan swing! Just seemed as though a few areas require a bit of cosmetic cleanup from years of use. What comes to mind in the area right under tarzan swing

My first impression as I entered the lobby- "open air palace" By far one of the most beautiful resorts I have ever seen. Staff are very attentive and friendly. Grounds clean and kept.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

• Deluxe King Room with Ocean View

Designed to make you stay on sight and spend way too much money. Everything is overpriced.

Opulent. Spa is the most amazing thing I've ever been to to treat myself! Excellent food, and ALL staff incredibly friendly & helpful! Yoga included every morning on the beach.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Garden View

We loved the property. Well maintain and the staffs are super attentive. My daughter loved all the water slides, water elevator and all the pools. Just a lovely time we had there.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

• Deluxe King Room with Ocean View

I love the atmosphere of this hotel. You were always greeted with a smiling face no matter what time of day it was. Although you know your in paradise when you walk into the hotel it makes you feel like you've found that extra special place. From the fragrance of the flowers to the views of the rooms. Everything was perfect. Extra special bonus we were able to see a momma humpback whale and we baby I'm the cove of the hotel all of the days we were there. We couldn't have had a more perfect first experience in Hawaii!

• Reviewed: 4 February 2017

• Deluxe King Room with Garden View

The complex is too gigantic for a couple seeking a romantic getaway.

Very up to date deco. Welcoming staff. Gentle ocean, soft sand. Great for family with kids and big family reunion. Signature restaurant food is fantastic with incredible imagination and big flavor. Kudos to the chef.

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

• Deluxe King Room with Garden View

Cleaning, rooms are no close to hotel. Other people that are not in the hotel can use the facility pools. I got a skin infection. Very disappointed. Not a clean place at all.

Staff and restaurants

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Ocean View

There was nothing that could of made this better. It was.awesome.

The beds were extra soft felt like sleeping in clouds. Service had so much Aloha spirit. The pool was beyond fun and our room had the best views.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

• King Room with Ocean View

The hotel is a bit old, the service is ok, but not excellent, the hotel is too big. They are too many people. Our rooms were not very clean. Our rooms were situated right next to the staff service access. They start at 5h30 AM with their trollies in the corridor! Really not nice to be awake every morning at 5h30 during holidays!!! Not enough restaurants, you have to queue for the breakfast . We had issues with the final invoices, they wanted to charge us more money. So basically we will not go back to this hotel. The Four Season next door is much better!

The location is very nice. They have a good gym. The activities for the kids are great.

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

• Deluxe King Room with Garden View

This hotel is huge, but doesn't have restaurants, cafes and entertaining! People forced to going out every day instead of spending money in the hotel!!! We rented casabella on the beach, every morning when we arrived there was water on the mattresses, we have to dried it half day, before we can use it. We paid for all day to relax on the sun, but we are working with our mattresses instead! We attended luau, there was good food but show was weak for this money.

Area of the hotel is gorgeous!!!! Amazing gardens!!!! Beautiful beach!!!! Staff was very helpful and nice! Room was big and comfortable, great size bathroom. Breakfast was very generous, large variety of dishes. Great pools, amazing activities for children. We will definitely come again!!! I can recommend everyone to come here, especially for families.

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

Room climate control.

The grounds smelt and looked amazing. The gardening could use a little more upkeep. Many flowers wilted. The room was decorated beautifully. The bed and pillows were comfortable. I would say at night time the room did get stuffy... even with the fan on high and at the coolest setting. During the day this wasn't a problem. All of the staff we came across was pleasant. The beach on resort was beautiful and spacious. The breakfast included in our package was delicious.:: many options.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

• Deluxe King Room with Ocean View

Finding a chair by the pool that's in the shade can be extremely difficult. Possibly to try to encourage people to rent the shaded gazebos that are available.

Amazingly helpful and friendly staff. The hotel grounds and facilities are beautiful and you couldn't ask for more.

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

• Deluxe King Room with Garden View

Wi-fi was very patchy and dining on site is rather expensive. Also, they stop serving food and beverage around the pool at about 4pm.

Gorgeous property on Wailea Beach. Magnificent facilities. Fabulous pool and beachfront area.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

• King Room with Ocean View

Bathroom needed cleaning better & property needed an upgrade. There were missing tiles in pools.

Location was perfect... With great views of sunset! Room was spacious!

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

• Deluxe King Room with Garden View

This hotel is amazing. Beautiful, full of swimmingpools and open jacuzzis, incredible beach, full of activities, enormous breakfast... It´s a dream for a honeymoon couple. The spa is incredible too.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

• Deluxe King Room with Garden View

Property is 25 years old but well kept. Staff was pleasant but lack knowledge of important information. For example, the main dining venue was closed and moved to a new location. We asked 4 separate staff who should know how to locate the main dining area and got 4 different answers. The last answer was correct but the staff person who directed us to the proper elevator failed to inform us that the restaurant staff had to clear the elevator access. The restaurant manager did the correct make good by comping our meal. Thanks to that person.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

• Deluxe King Room with Garden View

The food was average. I asked for bread or cheese for my pasta and they couldn't offer me some. I was expecting more from a four star hotel.

Very nice Hotel, nice private beach, many activities

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

• Deluxe King Room with Garden View

The pool is in a sad state. Many missing tiles or chunks of cement. One of our party injured their foot on a pool step with broken tiles. One slide apparently permanently closed (the long one.). All the slides close at 5 p.m., just when it's the perfect time to swim. The pool food stands also close at 5 p.m. It's light until at least 7 and a perfect time to swim after a long day in the sun. The slides don't open until 10 a.m., so if you come from the mainland, and wake up early, you'll wait a long time for the pool. The pools are smallish and connected by slides, most of them small. So to not be able to use the slides greatly dimishes the fun of moving around from pool to pool or to the lazy river. The upkeep on the landscaping is best near the center and diminishes as you get to the outer areas. There were weeds among the rocks, tall grass growing amid the plantings, trash in the garden beds along with shredded leaves, dead leaves, dead snails and overgrown plants. It was beautiful if you didn't look too closely. The ice machines were out on floors 1 and 2. We were on the ground floor and had to walk up two flights of stairs or go all the way back to the lobby to catch an elevator in order to get ice. When I asked about getting ice delivered to the room, they told me to get it myself, as the ice machines were too far for the bellmen or cleaning personnel to go to. If the machines are broken (No evidence in 8 days of attempts to repair.....) is it really too hard to put tubs of ice on the carts and deliver it with the towels? (I was in a suite by the way.) Our last night at about 9 p.m. when I and my grandchildren were sound asleep, there was a ringing of our door bell over and over and then a knocking. When I got up and answered, it was the maids wanting to know if I needed more towels. It took us over an hour to check in as for long periods there was only one receptionist working.

The pool, in spite of its sad appearance, was great fun for the kids. The beach is a great beach. The artwork is great and the general appearance is lovely. The lack of maintenance and less then pristine condition of the furniture in the room actually helped me relax about the kids and not worry so much if a spill happened. So, for families with kids, this place works. Just be careful with feet on the broken pool tiles.

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

• Deluxe King Room with Garden View

The Smell of alcohol in the pool area, how dirty is the food area next to the pool, The Pool area and the lack of cleanliness of the water. No space to have a decent day at the pool without paying $150 Usd per day for 2 beach beds, so many people complain about this at the same time, that this was the joke of the day between guests..

Staff, Location, WiFi, Beach, Rooms,

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Garden View

For $800plus we ended up in a handicapped accessible room. The toilet area only had a rolling door and offered little privacy. There was no bathtub and no shower door. Mold in the bathroom along with bugs. One of the only reasons for staying at this property was for the water slides. The big slide was closed with no explanation both days we were there. Awful experience and crazy waste of money. Yuck!

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Garden View

Eliminate the lines for towels and bracelets!

From the moment we arrived until checkout, the staff and the services were excellent! Great place to bring a family and friends! Highly recommended and definitely a do-over for us!!!

Bigger shower head

Beautiful views, awesome pool & beach with lots of activities, great food, luau was amazing

• Deluxe King Room with Ocean View

Price of food and drinks HIGH

• Deluxe King Room with Garden View

Everything was amazing. The price was well worth the value.

Absolutely beautiful

Dining r very poor

• Deluxe King Room with Ocean View

A notice that the big slide was down! should of offered spa treatment

all excellent! fabulous property and love the lazy river and beaches there!!

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Ocean View

amazing, professional staff and excellent service everywhere.

NA

Awesome resort. Great restaurants and awesome swimming pool. A lot of iferents activities are available

• Deluxe King Room with Ocean View

Staff amazing, very attentive. Beautiful resort.

• Terrace Room With Two Queen Beds

I wished more events like live music, shows , etc.

The pools ,the landscaping, the lobby ,the shops ,staff super friendly. Shopping center nearby.

Pillows were hard.

Staff was very very helpful. Food was good.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Ocean View

Valet parking only - no self parking

Great room clean comfortable and suitably extravagant

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Pool system was awsome

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Ocean View

The teen club was not open. We tried two separate nights and gave up after that.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

• King Room with Ocean View

Wifi didn't reach our deck,but overall performed well.

The food was inconsistent

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

Huge resort.

buffet breakfast was really good.

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

• King Room with Ocean View

Service from the on site car rental was mediocre.

Range of restaurants was excellent at the resort.

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Garden View

The bed is ok. But it gives my husband and I a back pain every morning

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Ocean View

Difficult to book the restaurant

Lots of swimming pools

• Reviewed: 12 January 2017

• Napua Suite

The bed was a little tough to sleep in

Location and the people

• Reviewed: 23 December 2016

The people working there are nice and the room was nice and big

The room was nice but the breakfast was not good at all please improve the food

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

• King Room with Ocean View

The resort was absolutely amazing. Our Deluxe Ocean View was incredible. As well as your staff.

• Reviewed: 30 November 2016

good to me!

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

Nothing not to like

Wonderful staff location and 100% detail for guests comfort

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

• Terrace King Room

Beautiful facilities/pools and great breakfast buffet.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

• Deluxe King Room with Ocean View

Everything needs updated our shower had black mold growing on it.

Close to the ocean enough things to do

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

Breakfast was incredible

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

• Deluxe King Room with Garden View

There is no first aid medicine

The swimming pools are all awesome

• Reviewed: 5 August 2016

The pools!!!!

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

• King Room with Ocean View

It was excellent. Everything was high quality. Great clean room.

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

nan

everything is perfect

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

2 slides were closed during the day of our waterpark play. very disappointing

gorgeous property

• Reviewed: 28 May 2016

The AC could've been colder and we didn't have a working security latch on our door

Kelly at the front desk was amazing. We were greeted like family the moment we arrived.

There are also 55 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.