Reviews of Hampton Inn Ann Arbor-South 3 stars

925 Victors Way, Ann Arbor, MI 48108, USA

#22 of 34 hotels in Ann Arbor

The walls are a bit thin, so hallway noise in the morning wakes you whether you are ready to get up or not.

I was there for my son’s college graduation. I stayed the first night at the Fairfield inn. That was very disapppointing. Then I moved to the Hampton inn. The staff was so wonderful, helpful and accommodating. They made the stay wonderful.

I loved everything

I loved everything about the hotel, considering that it was the first time my friends and I went out to Ann Arbor, it was a great experience. Loved the consumer service, and facility.

• Non-Smoking Double/Double Room

Everyone was extremely helpful and friendly. The swim pool was probably the best for the kids the water was warm. And the pool area was very clean.

• King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Access to the floors from the front stairwell between the double entry doors did not require a key card. Anyone could access the floors without going by the front desk. I would have felt safer if a key card was required to access the floors. The gym did not have free weights only medicine balls, 2 ellipticals, a treadmill and an bike.

Bed and pillows were very comfortable. Room was quite.

• Non-Smoking Double/Double Room

Room was akin to a mid level motel. Breakfast was so so, made worse by FOX “News” on the television. Vending machines didn’t work.

Location was decent. Clean

• Non-Smoking Double/Double Room

Bed was comfortable but pillows were soft and there was not a firm one to choose from. I usually bring my own pillow but this time I didn't. Tub didn't drain well when I showered so I stood in water.

• King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The "disability friendly" in itself is somewhat better than a regular room with wider doorways, but the room is not so accessible. For example, the toilet as too low and is not friendly for an individual with disabilities.

The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. They did their best to accommodate me and my husband who has a disability.

• King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Counter space in bathroom is very small.

Nice breakfast selection of hot and cold foods. Comfortable bed. Free, easy parking. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Great blackout curtains on the window.

• King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

First thing our electronic key did not work. We had to have it replaced two times and it would just not let us in the room. The hotel was sold out the night we stayed, breakfast was full most of the time. Our room was right across from the laundry so activity started early. Toilet was too low and awkwardly placed. Not enough to cause you not to come back (or pay more at another motel) but somewhat disappointing.

This motel is in a usually quiet setting with trees and squirrels (not usual in area lodging.) Price is usually quite low (lower than other Hampton Inn in town.) It is close to shopping areas and some restaurants (restaurants in A2 are everywhere). We have stayed there often, but this time unfortunately, it was a little off. See below. However, my husband enjoyed the fact that there was a picture of the University of Michigan Law School on our wall.

I don't like that housekeeping comes around pounding on doors to see if people are there. They woke me up too early. I am supposed to be on vacation. Print a list of people that have checked out, or send them to rooms as they check out. The second day I just put a do not disturb sign out, but I still could hear them out in the hall.

The room and property was clean.

The room we booked on booking.com was not available, we got into our room and it was only a single bed, which was a problem since there are four of us in our family. It was late at night so the only option was to try and squeeze in two roll away beds (which looked like they had been sitting in storage without any attention for a very long time). I was nervous to have the kids sleeping on them but didn't have any other good options. The hotel's first floor was under construction (so walking on plastic covering and around plastic sheets blocking off areas etc.)and they told me they had no other available rooms. It was a very frustrating experience. The bed was not comfortable. The inside pool was big. It was so crowded and so loud in there it was hard to enjoy. Also the water was cloudy and the chemicals were so strong it hurt your eyes. There is also a sauna, which was always packed with kids sardine style. :) The outside pool was nice, but surrounded by tables and the bar. So swimming with an audience can be awkward. We swam at night and the bar area was very crowded. During the day I doubt that would be a problem.

The breakfast was nice, lots of options.

• Non-Smoking Double/Double Room

The room i originally booked was a double, when we got there it was a king. Had to change lucky they had one. Also the A/C was spotty at best. The vent in bathroom had more dust and dirt on it than a baseball field. The A/C thing was brutal cool to hot cool to hot was hard to sleep.

• King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

I can't believe it's making me leave 3 stars. Their only saving grace is that they gave us the room for free. This place was filthy. There were over 6 different strands of long hair in our bathtub and on the bathroom floor, including a long one in our bed right by our pillows. Disgusting. The drain in the tub would not work properly and we ultimately were standing in a pool of water during our shower. The room did not smell pleasant and was much smaller than it appeared in the photos. Extremely loud AC vent that gave off a loud buzzing noise throughout the night - ultimately had to turn it off and deal with the room getting warm. Dirty hallways that looked like they had never been vacuumed. Checkout time was 11am and we had 3 separate housekeepers come to our room before 11am trying to clean it, all attempting to enter the room. Why would you go to a room knowing that the people staying in the room have not left yet? Poor communication, I'm guessing. The eggs were empty on the continental breakfast and no worker was to be found. The potatoes were mushy and barely warm which seemed like they had been microwaved. There was a baseball convention going on in town, apparently, so there were children running up and down the aisle in the lobby, hallways, changing into their bathing suites right in the lobby, parents walking around with beers in the lobby as opposed to getting their children. It was a nightmare. Have zero intentions of EVER returning to this location.

The continental breakfast area was well laid out and it was nice to see that they had fresh hard boiled eggs as opposed to bagged. Decent selection for baked goods. Easy hotel to navigate around and they have a big parking lot. The woman at the front desk was very apologetic for the fact that our room was covered in hair (that was not ours) and got her manager to give us the night for free. I would say the only positive thing that came out of our trip was not having to pay for it.

• Non-Smoking Double/Double Room

Bathroom is a little small...could use a different vanity. Room needs modern updating. Like the fact that they have "quiet hours", but it needs to be enforced. Ran out of food for breakfast.

Was a perfect location for the track event we were attending at EMU. Easy traveling to and from that location. The room was good...could use modern updating. There was a pool, but no hot tub. The beds were comfortable. Nice desk in the room, for working. Had a decent sized refrigerator.

• King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The hallway and the room had a chemical smell which we assumed was from the new carpeting but it did not smell good.

Great shower head in bathroom. Fairly new furniture and carpeting.

It seemed as if they were 'short sheeting' the bed. The sheet barely came up to my chest, but when I un-tucked it at the foot of the bed, there was plenty of sheet being tucked under! This is just an odd and obviously minor thing.

Breakfast was awesome, with lots of choices. The food was always well stocked and warm (if it was supposed to be i.e. eggs and sausage). The fitness room was very nice. The front desk folks were VERY accommodating and acted happy to take care of every request we had! For example, at the last minute we added an extra night at the beginning of our stay. They didn't have the exact room we wanted, so we stayed in a different room for one night, but the next day, we were able to move into our new room right after breakfast. Getting a bottle of water (or 2) each day was nice. Housekeeping was prompt and pleasant. Can't say enough good things about the staff - a great team.

The hotel was under construction. Loud drilling could be heard. Whirlpool was broken. Fitness center had one treadmill.

Food was great, coffee excellent. Staff friendly.

• Non-Smoking Double/Double Room

The jacuzzi next to the pool was out of order. Also wanted bananas on the breakfast bar but they never were.

Beds very comfortable. Breakfast selection excellent. Customer service was amazing - everyone was extremely friendly. Only minutes away from The University of Michigan and 25 minutes from the airport. Definitely would stay here again.

9:30, breakfast counter all but empty. No oatmeal, no French Toast, no sausage, not much of anything.

Great location, In comparison with what you get for your money in Canada, it is just extraordinary value.

• Non-Smoking Double/Double Room

Used the laundry room. Machine needs to be cleaned and/or updated. Clothing did not "smell" clean after wash.

Really appreciated the front desk staff ---they were the friendliest ever! Breakfast offerings and variety were great, always fresh.

• King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

My family was given a room near the elevator and I did not sleep much the first night of our stay. Not to mention all the noise from other guest going through the hallway. Not pleased at all... coffee was great first day... luke warm and disgusting the second day. Finally the pool and whirlpool need drained and cleaned.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

• Non-Smoking Double/Double Room

The room was small but I probably just didn't read the description carefully when booking.

I wish I knew the name of the lovely young lady at the check in desk. The hotel was sold out due to a power outage in the area (not our reason for being there.) and she was clearly understaffed but never stopped smiling and never lost her cool.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

• Non-Smoking Double/Double Room

No vent in the bathroom. No shampoo provided.

The pillows were perfect. The breakfast was very nice as well as the woman that worked the breakfast. Location to U of M was close.

• Reviewed: 9 February 2017

They asked for my ID and card to hold the room. They did not clearly state that my card would be charged the full amount of my stay on check in, when the website clearly states pay on check out. Better communication here! The pool was dirty and the hot tub was out of order after a long day sat at a seminar a working hot tub would have been amazing!

The staff were great and welcoming!

You said the room would be $120. They wouldn't give us a receipt. I checked my bank account and they charged me $114 and then $25. I won't go there again!

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

• King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Whirlpool not working. Also breakfast ran out fast, but it was Thanksgiving break and was to be expected. Staff kept up very well.

Clean, beautiful room. Nice pool. A very enjoyable experience.

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

• Non-Smoking Double/Double Room

Horrible customer service. That was a business trip and I needed a credit card authorisation form from the hotel. I wrote them several times - via booking.com and through the form on their website. No reply. Then I called. Have waited for the reply for 10 minutes (very nice when you are calling from abroad) just to hear that I need to call once again in order to contact the receptionist directly. I called the receptionist, he promised to send the form. Nothing came. I called in two days and asked a different receptionist to send me the form. And again nothing. We will never use this hotel again.

• Reviewed: 29 November 2016

• King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

I booked there because my wife loves hot tubs. We went to use it and there was a sign that said it didn't work. If I had known that ahead of time I wouldn't have booked a room there.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

• King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The powdered eggs left something to be desired. And rooms could be more sound proof

Room was spacious and very clean. The king study has a sofa, a desk, mini fridge and microwave. Staff was very friendly.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

• King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Breakfast went very fast so there wasn't much to choose from but otherwise everything was good

everything was very good. Everyone had a great time. Thank you!

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

The bed didn't have an edge and so my husband had difficulty getting in and out of bed....he slid off. Heater was very noisy.

The staff was very kind and helpful. We enjoyed the pool. Room was clean and met our needs.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

We booked the room for 2 double beds and were given a single. Had to go back to desk to request what reservation was made for, which was a double room.

Breakfast was excellent.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

there was a mixup between the booking.com rate and the rate the hotel charged me. i was not pleased that neither booking.com or the hotel offered me anything for my hassle.

loved the room, pool, hot tub, and the really friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2016

• Non-Smoking Double/Double Room

Very attentive staff with Jamiah at the front desk a clear winner. During my stay first a fridge and a few days later even a microwave were added to the room.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

We had trouble with both of our keys working, even when they replaced them.

Our room was nicely equipped and very clean. The breakfast was a good way to start our day.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

• King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

It was musty and gross in the room. It made all my clothes and luggage smell damp. The shower set off the smoke detector every morning. I hated being in the hotel room so much that I avoided going back there at the end of the day. So gross. If you eat healthy, the breakfast sucks. If you like DIY waffles it's probably fine. The gym is not a gym. It's a few cardio machines in a small room. There's some medicine balls, but no space or mats to actually use them.

The staff were very friendly, and it only took an average of 5-7 minutes to get an Uber to the hotel.

Everything when well.

Good customer service, I think the person name is Rachel. She is very nice.

No safe in room.

satisfying breakfast. Comfortable rooms.

• Non-Smoking Double/Double Room

That there was no hot tub

I liked the bed and breakfast.

Nice room. Decent breakfast

• Non-Smoking Double/Double Room

Bed was older, not terribly comfortable.

Staff was great; breakfast was very good.

I loved it. Not worth the price though but i understand because of location

• Non-Smoking Double/Double Room

Breakfast could have been better.

Comfortable beds. Accommodating staff.

I like real eggs.

• King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Under renovations, so no hot tub, self laundry closed.

Helpful staff.

• Non-Smoking Double/Double Room

The indoor pool was nice.

The location.

• Non-Smoking Double/Double Room

For what was to be a queen bed it was very small.

Room was comfortable food was good

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Itchy bed.

The young lady at the front desk was extremely pleasant and helpful. The room was comfortable and quiet.

Quality of food at breakfast

Comfey sheets

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

Beds are the reason we book at Hampton!!!

• Non-Smoking Double/Double Room

Price for students graduation was crazy at that time four times as much per room!!!!

convience

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

Pillows are not the best and the bed was too hard for my comfort.

Breakfast was very nice. Staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

• King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Pool area needs a little work.

Staff was helpful and polite.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

I did not like the housekeeping asking me when I was leaving!!!!!

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

Breakfast did not have non-pork scrambled eggs -- and it was not labeled. However staff was quick to create new pork-less scrambled eggs.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

• Non-Smoking Double/Double Room

No restrooms in the pool area.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

• Double Room with Roll-In Shower

Not a thing.

Very comfortable and accommodating for me in my wheelchair; spacious and well planned.

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

• Non-Smoking Double/Double Room

Slamming of doors outside room. Kids running down the hall

Very comfortable

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

The staff was so friendly and helpful!

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

comfortable beds, clean room

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

Bed was soft. Room was clean. Very nice staff

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Cleaning could be better.

really quite. nice location

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Queen size beds were more the size of a full size , sheets would not cover two people.

The staff was very friendly.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

• Non-Smoking Double/Double Room

The room was very humid. The carpet seemed wet. The bed sheets felt damp. The sofa seemed damp. Terrible experience.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Really not up yo the standard I expected. Tiny gym with very little equipment, tiny pool. Room ok but nothing special.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

• Non-Smoking Double/Double Room

Breakfast choices could have been better

Good value blood location. Nice rooms.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

Completely bottle water, large quite room,

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

Bathroom sink area could have been bigger and the grout in the bathroom needed cleaning

Beds were comfortable, quiet at night, staff was really nice.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

Bugs in bed Dirty facility and old. Not a great price either Very disappointed

Nothing Not a typical experience

• Reviewed: 3 July 2016

Terrible breakfast

Comfortable beds

• Reviewed: 15 May 2016

The stay was totally alright. Typical American breakfest, good service and clean room with a nice huge bed. Would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Reviewed: 7 April 2016

Comfortable, clean room; free breakfast in the a.m. (glad that they did not run out like other hotels - it was a full house this weekend and the table was stocked). The location was key - within 10 mins max of where I needed to get to.

There are also 68 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.