Reviews of Hampton Inn Carlsbad North San Diego County 3 stars

2229 Palomar Airport Road, Carlsbad, CA 92011, USA

#8 of 36 hotels in Carlsbad

The hotel overall, and our room in particular, seemed a little "tired." The thermostat on the wall in the room did not work, so we had to control the heating and air conditioning from the unit itself. The shower was designed for handicap access, which is obviously very important, but it let water flow all over the floor of the bathroom. Also, the shower had very little water pressure. So, we would consider staying there again, but not for more than a night or so.

Good proximity to the local airport and Legoland.

Fridge did not work and staff brought new fridge and that did not work either. Air conditioning controls were broken so air was stuck on all night.

Breakfast and location

Staff were very nice and helpful. The lady doing the breakfast on Sunday was so nice. She gave our kids crayons and a activity sheet to color on. She even played with the baby. Arthur at the front desk let us keep our ice cream in the freezer in the kitchen area because it didn’t fit in the freezer in our room. He was very friendly and helpful!

Our thermostat did not work in room , had to manually work unit , for the price of room , & hotel was not full , they could have given us a different room & refrigerator did not work AT all & ruined our leftovers & our juice & drinks : no one offered to comp us for our inconvenience when we mentioned it at checkout , Not happy

Breakfast is decent , basic omelette , waffles , yogurt , coffee is bitter , omelette was cold all 3 mornings , they did have decent fresh fruit & muffins , boiled eggs & good variety of bagels & juices , typical Hampton food

I did not like that I was roomed next to a very very loud room. I had to turn my tv up late at night because we could hear their intimate sounds throught the wall. If they were not being intimateb they were yelling at the top of their lungs at their kids. My room....was not family friendly...but only because of the neighboring room.

I liked that it was clean and staff was very friendly.

The mattresses weren't super comfortable. Have more variety with your breakfast! The same things every day gets old.. and please use real cheese in the omelets.

Everyone was friendly and everything was clean.

I booked a room with two queen beds but seemed as they were both full. Felt like I was falling off. Person restocking the breakfast area was a bit rude. Wouldn’t respond when you would ask a question and seemed like she was annoyed to be working.

I loved how informational/the energy of the front desk person.

Poor breakfast experience. Went to breakfast at 830am. Out of eggs. Fruit was days old...apples had dark spots, oranges were shriviling. Long line for waffles. One machine out of waffle batter. Waited in lobby for a table and for food to be restocked. Waited until 915am and still no eggs. Food room was extremely warm and uncomfortable. I think there was only one person working and that may have been the problem. Ended up checking out and going to IHOP for breakfast. Middle entry door was not secured (around 4pm).

Staff was very friendly. Facility was very clean.

clean. comfortable. good breakfast choices included in the price. chocolate chips cookies in the lobby in the evening. good selection of coffee and tea in lobby at all times.

The fitness room had two treadmills, an elliptical trainer and dumbbells. A stationary bicycle would have been a good choice to have.

The bed was incredibly comfortable. Breakfast was very good, lots of choices. Coffee was good. The place was nicely lit.

My room could use a little care--shower door handles were loose and broken. Wallpaper in bathroom showing some separation from wall. No fan in bathroom.

The breakfast was outstanding! Definitely a highlight to the stay. Room was very clean.

Very noisy!! I could hear everything people in the hall were saying as they walked by and if I was in the hall I could hear babies crying, kids running around, etc. with doors shut. In the night I could hear everything the people above me were doing (good thing no young children in my room as it was not rated PG). Also, the only good thing about the breakfast was the waffle. We didn't eat there the second day. I'm guessing this was a favorite place for families going to Legoland based on location, but if you want to go there and get any peace and quiet for a night or two, forget about it. The main reason somebody goes to a hotel is to get some sleep and if you have kids running around in the halls and people making noise all night, that's impossible. So, just because the staff is nice doesn't mean that it's worth $130 a night to stay there when you can't even get any rest. And oh, buy the way, there's no fan in the bathroom so it steams up while you take a shower.

Room was updated and clean (although carpet not so much). Bed had some give, not hard as a rock, but I still used my foam pad that I travel with. Nice linens.

Hotel was next to a storage place, and unfortunately our room view was to that place.

Nice hotel- very close to legoland- would stay again, rooms clean and comfortable. Breakfast buffet excellent.

The room was cramped. The breakfast wasn't great for folks who like a lot of protein.

It was very close to Legoland, which was our destination. The kids enjoyed it.

The swimming pool was too small & dirty, and parking was way too small for big cars. Price was a little high for the number of nights I stayed.

The rooms were very confortable & clean, the conplementary breakfast was very good, but there was no room to seat down. Location was great & staff were very polite & friendly.

When we checked out we were over charged for the rooms. The staff tried to tell me that the total price that I was quoted at booking.com was not including taxes. I showed them the email that said tax was included in the total. They then tried to tell me that they couldn't fix it and that I would have to contact booking.com. I wasted over 30 minutes trying to explain the price difference and to get them to adjust it. Finally a Manger came out and asked to see the email and she said the rate that I was quoted was wrong and their computer rate was right. The manager finally said to adjust the price but was off by like $.43. She said that was as close to my total that she could get it to and asked if that was OK. I told her yes since it was less than $1 difference. This was my first time using booking.com and I am not sure if I will be using it in the future. I have stayed at other Hampton Inn's and they have always had pillow top beds which makes a difference for a great nights sleep. Is that no longer a standard? The shower leaked in the room that we stayed in. We tried closing the doors both ways and it still leaked. So we had to be cautious of the wet floor.

Staff was friendly at check in but a little confrontational on check out (they tryed to over charge me for the rooms).

Pillows were very flat, housekeeping was below par. And I found a bed bug crawling on my furniture where I had set my luggage down when I returned home, which caused me to spend the entire evening washing all the clothes I had taken on the trip and disinfecting everything.

Only 1 staff member assisting w/breakfast. Had trouble keep up w/replaceing items. Holiday week should have had extra person helping. Skipped housekeeping services the first 2 nights by choice. Needed room cleaned final night and did not get room cleaned. Had to empty trash and request towels.

I can't really tell if there is something negative.... we enjoy every minute.

We went there with two little boys, the pool was nice and the easy access to the beach was fantastic. Easy for us to go up and down to the beach. Tee loved the restaurant outside the hotel. The room was very very comfortable, quite and clean!

We had booked three nights at another location but after the first night decided to look for something else. We decided to try the The Hampton Inns in Carlsbad. Initially the location was a little difficult to locate since it shares an entrance driveway to a bank and another hotel but once we found it there was ample parking with good lighting at night. The staff was very welcoming and helpful and the accommodations were excellent. The one day we had the free breakfast we were very pleased with the variety of foods offered and cleanliness of the area. The free Wall Street Journal and USA Today papers were a nice bonus. We will definitely be back!

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

Fitness room is quite small.

Breakfast was awesome, coffee was really good. Spa was nice too! But the staff were the best. The manager on site is very nice and great personality.

When I got my confirmation from Booking.com it showed the hotel located above the Flower Fields in Carlsbad. It was located across from Palomar airport. Definitely deceptive advertising!!

The bed and pillows were very comfy and very clean.

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

Our room was not big enough for 5 people.

Convenient location (close to Legoland and Carlsbad Outlet Mall); very helpful, friendly and smiling staff; nice decor throughout the hotel; free parking; good breakfast; excellent value for money. Highly recommended!!

No upclose mirror for us who wear contact lenses. Very difficult to put in or take out contacts when vision is impaired. Need a magnifying mirror attached nearby or bath mirror cabinet. Extra pillows would be nice in room since bed pillows are super soft and flat. We brought own pillows thankfully.

Staff super friendly and upbeat, , facility looked and even smelled clean, coffee and drinks available all day in lobby, hot breakfast good, bed comfy, nice refrig and microwave with coffee inside room, Neutrogena products in room, helpful when we lost cell phone plug... we will return!!!

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

Not enough seating in the breakfast area.

Breakfast served in the morning is well done A lot to choose from. Would be nice if they had some gluten free and vegan options for those of us with dietary restrictions

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

Need some improvement with their breakfast, its warm but does not stays warm. Somehow when we went to get our breakfast the egg, potatoes and sausage are cold.

Room was clean and quite. Great location, getting to and from great attractions is easy because it is close to the main freeway.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

The hot tub was a little green near the bottom. The pool was fine. Had a problem connecting to the WiFi, the desk person gave me a different code and it connected.

The bed was very comfortable, room and bathroom was a nice size. The linens were nice & soft. Breakfast was very good.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

I communicated w/ staff about my husband and got personal about his arrival to the hotel but they never bothered to ask nor did I know that he was suppose to be in the computer. It's reasonable to know access to my room will be not taken lightly but my husband had to wait a half hour outside after a four hour drive. Staff new he was arriving yet didn't let him in or bother to call me instead assigned the labor to my husband :(

Staff should have a upbeat attitude and smile as I first walk into the building as a good first impression and a sign of welcomeness , maybe pay them more so they are inspired to give themselves more

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

The staff was unavailable, the door to our room Would not lock and we slept a whole night like that without knowing when we told staff they came up to the room 1 hour later and seemed annoyed. Saw cockroaches in the bathroom when I told staff they said they have never seen that and did nothing!!! Would not move us rooms! Never towels in pool area

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

Poor lighting for reading. Pool was too cool even on a very warm day. Kind of hard to find and get to from very busy road.

Bed was great . Breakfast had many choices with a bit of varying items daily.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

We were very surprised at how clean everything was, Food was good! Housekeeping , room, breakfast were all very wonderful! also very quite too!, we will be coming back. Thank You!

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

We prepaid for our room which included breakfast each morning. Unfortunately the area they were serving breakfast was not big enough to accommodate all the people and there was not enough food! We didnot get our breakfast!

Room was very comfortable and bathroom had a nice large walk in shower

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Neil was the first person we talked with and he made sure we were comfortable and had everything we needed. He actually had a conversation with us and joked with us. It's hard to find employees like this anymore.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

Walls, carpeting showing age. A slight mix up on check in. Room keys this year were too easily deactivated.

Clean, comfortable beds, great ac. Good breakfasts and good breakfast and room cleaning staff..

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

Staffs reaction to fire alarm. Location too far from leisure activities.

Check in staff excellent however ther fire alarm went off 3 times while we were there with little concern from staff. I had to go to desk to find out whether it was real concern and still litltle sense of urgency. Variety of food for wick breakfast.

• Reviewed: 9 July 2016

It was a little out of the way, and a little more expensive than I would have liked, but it was my own fault for booking last minute.

The room was very clean and nice. Everything was fresh. It was better than a more expensive hotel I checked out of earlier that day.

• Reviewed: 21 June 2016

Check in wasn't until 3pm but we had to be out by 12. I had 2 changes appear on my debit card and I wasn't informed about.

Room was very clean

• Reviewed: 21 June 2016

The people above us could not control their kids. It was 11:00 at night and they were still running around, stomping like crazy, making it hard for my husband and I to put our 1 year old to sleep. The hotel staff did have a translator go to their room to tell them that several people have called to complain about the loud noises coming from their room, but those people didn't care too much.

I am a very picky person where I stay at, but I was rather pleased with how nice and clean the hotel was...even the rooms. The complimentary breakfast was good as well!

• Reviewed: 20 June 2016

The staff were very friendly and accommodating. Especially Matt -- he went above and beyond for us in a time of need. The facility was very clean. The breakfast selection was awesome. Would have preferred some bacon or real sausage. Turkey is not the fav in my family. Would say get to breakfast early. Once the crowd hits -- the line gets long. Overall, great place to stay.

• Reviewed: 19 June 2016

Check in was stated at 3 pm on my booking reservation, however there was a sign when I was checking in that stated 4pm. This was a bit inconvenient but was not a deal breaker. However the woman at the desk initially could have been a little nicer.

Breakfast, staff and accommodations were great.

Stayed in May 2016

You're doing great, I like the breakfast was unexpected. I was really satisfied with the hotel.

Good breakfast/coffee

Food service

Found blood stains on my pillows and some of the towles had orannge stains as well. Also their pool was dirty.

Breakfast was good

Breakfast was really good!! Beds were comfortable!

The Manager on duty (Arthur) was superb! Clean carpets and great location. Close to shopping and LEGOLand!

Everything was perfect , no complaints

The breakfast was Excellent,,and all of the staff was Super nice,,

The pool is tiny and the hot tub was cold and green and smelled like something died. Pillows were terrible. The tv remote was impossible to use.

The staff was nice , they gave me a room on the first floor next to the pool. The location was perfect because it was right by Legoland.

Convenient location. Friendly staff. Quiet pool.

The coffee pot is in the bathroom, that's gross

The staff was awesome and everything is updated

Staff was very friendly and the breakfast was awesome

The bed was way to soft I sank in the middle and it made my back really stiff. Need a bed that was a lot firmer.

The breakfast was great

Very helpful staff

Front desk staff very rude.

It's was a great experience ...

The loud and rude soccer teams that were staying there

Breakfast is good. It is close to family

Friendly Staff

Generally very good.

Free Wi-Fi & breakfast. Centrally located for this trip purpose.

Parking is scarce near the front of the building.

Just spent overnight before going to the airport. Good for our needs

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

Cleanliness wasn't what I expected, carpets where stained and hallways smelled.

Breakfast was great and location.

The swimming pool is too small.

Bed was very comfortable and breakfast was good.

Excellent breakfast! Pool jaccuzzi small but nice.

Good breakfast , friendly staff and clean

one of the front-end is not friendly

Everything about our stay was comfortable. The beds were just dreamy!

Pool is small & crowded .

Prefer scrambled eggs to the omlet with processed cheese. Post if sausage is gluten free. Frirndly staff.

location and breakfast

Pool had lots of bugs

Great customer service

The coffee machine is located in the bathroom which is kinda wired.

The breakfast is wonderful. So as the coffee corner.

Great proximity to Legoland!

I loved the fact that they had a good variety at breakfast bar the housekeeper very friendly and kind really good service

I could feel the springs in our bed.

It was close to Lego Land.

Propert was clean