Reviews of Hampton Inn Charleston-Daniel Island 3 stars

160 Fairchild Street, Charleston, SC 29492, USA

#29 of 89 hotels in Charleston

• One-Bedroom King Suite with Sofa Bed

When I booked (an year in advanced), I requested that our rooms were on the same floor since I was traveling with my elderly parents that have health problems. Before our travels began, I sent an reminder to the hotel on this request. Upon our arrival, we were informed that they did not have a note on my account(even though I pulled up my reservations and read them to the lady) and we would have to take the rooms that were on the 2nd/3rd floors. There was nothing they could do and did not offer an discount for their mistake.

The rooms were very spacious with the master bedroom being separate from the pull out sofa bed-main reason I booked here. We are traveling as a family of 8. The beds were great, the pillows amazing and the blankets were soft. The pool area was clean and the water was clear. Breakfast was very well stocked and had many different options for our picky family.

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability and Hearing Access/Non-Smoking

Surprised that given the location there was no inhouse dining options. Also paper plates and bowls for breakfast!! Really?

New hotel, large rooms, comfy bed

The shower in our second room wasn't super clean. There were several hairs in it, on the walls and on the little shelves in the corners. Also, you can hear your neighbors extremely well. Don't know how that could be fixed, but...it is a consideration.

The bed was very comfortable. The front desk staff was amazing (especially Penny). We did have to change rooms because the air conditioning was broken in our original room, but the staff helped us out. Breakfast was good.

What were the little treat bags about? I saw other guests leaving with one after checkout but we didn't.

Pretty much everything. Just wish there were options for eggs at breakfast. I don't like omelettes or burritos.

• King Room with Sofa Bed

The bathroom was so small and had no ventilation. My cell phone had been on the bathroom counter and so much water got it in after a 10 min shower that I had to replace my phone while on my trip. The "complementary" WiFi kept kicking me off and would often say that because it was a public site, I could not access it.

The staff were super friendly and the room was very clean! The coffee was very good and the breakfast offered a nice range of options and was quite tasty.

I thought the breakfast was the weak spot in our stay. The eggs were not that good and the sausages were dry.

Bed was nice and we liked the shower bathroom.

• King Room with Sofa Bed

Overall excellent the only complaint was it was only rate two stars which I almost did t book because of that. Overt single thing exceeded our expectations and def will stay there again when we are in the area. The staff at the front desk were extra helpful with info of the area. God bless Gail Bain

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Great hotel very clean very professional staff only problem we had was with the Wi-Fi in the rooms were very stuffy poor circulation

Breakfast was adequate. Closet doors were rolling so if you slide it to right you blocked the bathroom and vice versa. Room cards did not work too well entering room or from the outside. Other guests had no problem so it was probably an anomaly. Not really big deals.

Facilities were top notch. Area around hotel was safe and upscale.

• King Room with Sofa Bed

Ashley was very helpful and tried her best to find our reservation. Vicky on the other hand was not so helpful and at the beginning was rude. She told us we would have to find something else even though I told her there was nothing else. She had two rooms Called her Mgr and finally put us in one. Just unnecessary drama.

We were tired after almost an hour check in. We just fell in the bed. We had been traveling across country from California. We are now in Florida. This was the worst check in experience.

Would not expect a hotel of this type to use paper cups and plates for breakfast.

Room was clean and of a good size and well equipped Breakfast was included and there was plenty of options

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Bathroom doors cannot be locked, no microwave in the room.

Super clean, looks new, friendly staff, very good breakfast, coffee sets and snack machines on the property, close to shopping, feels safe

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Over priced. Due to high traffic in the area.that week.

Problem with online booking. Office manager was excellent with the problem and corrected the sisutation. Ty

• One-Bedroom King Suite with Sofa Bed

Prices were elevated due to a tennis tournament.

The fold-out bed allowed for a person to come with and split the cost for basically the same price as a standard king.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

the housekeeping left a bit to be desired, we had to fix the chain on the toilet, the coffee pot was broken, but they did bring us another

food was good, beds comfortable

Breakfast offerings were less than impressive. A wider selection of breakfast breads and pastries would have been appreciated - and perhaps bacon or sausage? Minor complaint, and specific to my tastes perhaps... they did provide a waffle iron and premixed cups of batter for easy making, and the eggs were cooked right.

Rooms were clean and beds were comfortable. Bathroom was clean, well appointed, and most importantly, well lit. I find many hotels have bathroom lighting that is not effective.

Housekeeping didn't make our bed the after the first night and didn't leave coffee. Hot room in the middle of the night, like all hotels do.

Breakfast was great.

Needed extra pillows the two the room came with were small and had little support.

The breakfast exceeded my expectations, it was pretty good for free hotel food. Location was great for Charleston Battery Tryouts.

• King Room with Sofa Bed

Everything about our stay was more than satisfactory. Loved the location, staff was super friendly and our room was perfect! I'd willingly stay here again and would also recommend this hotel to all!

Coffee was tepid and often cold, especially in the lobby. Wish bathroom lights could be dimmed or minimized at night. At 2 a.m. you don't want to wake up completely! It was a little farther from downtown Charleston than we had hoped.

Breakfast varied throughout our stay of five nights. Eating area was comfortable and clean. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Plenty of parking close to hotel.

Hotel is fairly new. Very clean. Conveniently located close to Charleston without being in all the hubbub of downtown. Staff very pleasant and helpful.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was spacious and clean. The breakfast options were plentiful, even though we arrived closer to the end of the serving time. Plus there were plenty of seating options! The location of the hotel was incredibly convenient to both Charleston and the Isle of Palms, our two favorite places in the area, as well as several dining locations.

The restaurant was horrible. There was a sewer smell both outside and inside. There were few dining options. We were price gouged because of the eclipse.

Parking was good.it is in a quiet, natural area.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

tub was extremely slippery, no mat/sticky stuff on bottom of tub, no fan in bathroom to prevent mirror fog

beds comfortable, breakfast good, plenty of parking, easy access to major roads

There was no information about any activities or restaurants around, unlike every other tourist destination.

Clean room, lots of towels, warm welcome and a nice breakfast.

• One-Bedroom King Suite with Sofa Bed

King suite worked well for a couple but not so much for a family as the children had to come through our room to use the bathroom, putting the light on in the bedroom and bathroom at the same time as you couldn't put one on without the other.

The breakfast was plentiful and loads of choice. The room was spacious and comfortable for a family of 5 (they provided and extra bed in our king suite). The reception staff was helpful when we arrived and charged us double but sorted it out quickly. Pool clean and easy to access as was the fitness room. Parking directly outside.

Occasionally could hear another guest's tv and could hear people through the bathroom vent.

The breakfast was great and had some variety from day to day. Was always well stocked even when arriving towards the end of it. Hotel was very clean and up to date in rooms and public areas.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The barn door type door for the bathroom was hard to keep closed.

The staff was extremely well trained. They had exceptional customer service skill, from the front desk staff to the house keepers. Everyone we met with or walked by was wonderful. The room was comfortable. My only issue was the barn door to the bathroom wouldn't stay closed. Everything was wonderful.

• King Room with Sofa Bed

Air conditioning in room was "shoddy"... Thermostat, n controls were repeatedly "going out"..Had TWO!!!roaches (small) come visit with us in room...Plus, the temp in hotel"main building/hallways (?) were hot,n uncomfortable. (In your defense,it was 100* degrees outside)

Staff, n breakfast was AWESOME!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Food could have been better. I interacted with 4 different staff members. All of them acted as if they couldn't be bothered to speak with guests at the front desk. I had stayed at three other Hampton Inns this trip and the other locations the staffs were amazing.

I would like to see raised toilets in the bathroom.

Bed was very comfortable. Bathroom was clean and neat with a great shower. Seating in the room was very good.

The bed was huge and comfortable. The property staff was courteous and professional. Breakfast included a variety of food choices. The parking was close and several entrances allowed easy access to the building with a room key. We would definitely stay at this property again.

• King Room with Sofa Bed

The breakfast was not very good.

The property was clean inside and out. The room was modern, comfortable, good size for the 3 adults in our party. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Car got a ding from someone's carelessness in the parking lot. Some jerk from New York bratty kid, I reckon.

Conveince to my purpose of being in Charleston

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability and Hearing Access/Non-Smoking

None of the AC's worked in the none of the hallways. Other than that all was good.

The Islander bar and Grill in the parking lot was very nice and convenient. The food was excellent. Shuttle service was used and was awesome.

The view from the room was terrible There could have been more drawers to put clothes in.

Breakfast was great Penny at the front desk was very friendly and courteous

• King Room with Sofa Bed

There was food in the refrigerator from the previous guests that smelled. I had to call the front desk immediately to remove it. The sheets were too small for the bed so they kept bundling up. There was a bug in the bathroom. The ac was not working in the hallways. As a Hilton Honors member I had to ask for bottled water etc. as it was not offered at check in. This Hampton was among the worst I have stayed at and cost the most. The price was way over inflated for all these problems. How about a $ rebate?

Not much!

The food \ kitchen staff lacked a customer service mindset and made me feel like a burden instead of an attribute. They failed to replenish the breakfast bar adequately and when asked by the front staff to do it, they served frozen, yes hard rock frozen, english muffins. They carried large bags of trash through the dining room while customers were eating breakfast and had terrible attitudes. There were ants in our room and the bathroom needs an exhaust fan. The hallwways and the elevators were smelly, hot, and stagnant.

The front desk staff were friendly and nice. The room was spacious and accommodating. The location was convenient and it was quiet.

Front doors were a bit broken and the trash at the front was overflowing when we arrived

Hampton Inn properties are consistant. I know what I'm getting when I book the hotel.

First night there I called front desk for wake-up call and I was put on hold without being told I was being put on hold. I said I wanted to request a wake-up call and then dead air! I thought I had been disconnected so I called back,and this time she said "please hold" in a rather irritated voice then slapped me on hold again. After waiting a few minutes for her to come back on the line I gave up and relied on my cell phone alarm. I know she was probably busy, but she could have at handled it better. Perhaps a hotel of this caliber should consider installing an automatic wake-up call system the guests can set without having to go through the front desk. At a minimum, they need to instruct their staff to ALWAYS inform someone before placing them on hold.

Best breakfast ever! GREAT selection,food area was kept clean,items were kept stocked, and the girl in charge was awesome!! Comfy beds, clean rooms,quiet and safe location.

• King Room with Sofa Bed

The hotel was absolutely phenomenal! We travelled from Parris Island with a newly graduated Marine and he was greeted by multiple hotel staff who thanked him for his service which was so uplifting. This caused lots of surrounding guest to smile. The hotel maids were so polite and energetic. The hotel front desk helped us located places to eat and gave us a menu of the restaurant next door which was nice. The hotel breakfast was so warm and delicious. The room was very clean and the bed was soft and comfortable. I've never stayed at a hotel with not one negative thing about it! Thank you Hampton Inn Charleston-Daniel Island! I will be visiting again!

Stay was very good; pool nice and not crowded. Parking difficult at night if nearby restaurant busy. NO PET policy so question on survey not relevant to that issue. Breakfast OK -- very adequate.

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability and Hearing Access/Non-Smoking

Little more expensive than other hotels but theres no bugs and the AC works wonderful

Unless your a stuck up, conseided, livin in bervely hills looking you know what....this hotel is GREAT! Dont listen to the other reviews. Bed is great, AC works great, super clean, and breakfest is good and free as well as Wi-Fi .

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast was very tasty! However, I would like to see a little more variety.

The rooms are very tech friendly., well decorated and comfy. There are USB ports throughout the room, as well as electrical outlets. The ad channel also gave lots of good information about things to do and see in the local area.

• King Room with Sofa Bed

We had to drive into Charleston which was about 15mins but we knew that anyway.

The room and bed were lovely as usual. The breakfast is excellent with a variety of options. In the restaurant next door to the hotel, "The Islander" we had one of the best meals in US! And a free glass of wine for all guests staying at the hotel!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was not a restaurant on the property

The rooms were clean. The bed was perfect. The Custodians were very nice and eager to talk about their town and restaurants. They will also willing to provide extra towels unexpectedly. Did not use the shuttle however it was good to know there was one to downtown. Hotel very close to Volvo Tennis Classic and Mount Pleasant SC

Shower massage selector would be hard to reach for people under 5'6"

Breakfast was great. Shower heads were about 7 feet high so it was very comfortable for a 6'3" person. Islander restaurant/ bar outside the hotel was fantastic. Daniel island is a great place to walk around if you don't want to go into Charleston every day. Great restaurants and tennis venue. Easy to get to all the attractions.

The walls were so thin! I could hear everything in the room next to mine and they were not being loud. Felt like I was in the room with them. Terrible sound problems.

Didn't stay to eat.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

• One-Bedroom King Suite with Sofa Bed

We were mistakenly charged 5 times! Our stay was supposed to be $350.22 and they charged my credit card $350.22 five times in a row! They didn't catch the mistake. I did when I checked my bank account the next day! My husband spent most of the following day on the phone with customer service to rectify the issue. Definitely put a damper on the rest of our family vacation as we had to wait 3 days for most of the money to be credited back to our checking account. As a working family with 3 children, we cannot afford those types of mistakes!

Good location and perfect suite for a family with kids. Breakfast was great too! And also great gym!

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

• One-Bedroom King Suite with Sofa Bed

Curtains would not close. I was on front side with all the lights on 3rd floor.

Very clean. I did not like the fact that I could not close my curtains to sleep and too much light came in. The beds were nice and clean though. It was a little too expensive but still nice.

• One-Bedroom King Suite with Sofa Bed

Food was awful. Lights in bathroom on/off affected the entire sleeping area Broken lock on my door all night Coffee supplies not refreshed day 2 Water turned off day 1 ( scheduled but announced to us on arrival)

Staff

• Reviewed: 18 November 2016

Our room was missing a closet door, the luggage rack was broken, the shower surround was moldy and one of the air conditioning units didn't work properly.

Common areas vey nice. Coffee and tea available all the time. Breakfast was great.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability and Hearing Access/Non-Smoking

They should have told us they were giving us a room for handicapped poeple as it is a strange setup for non-handicapped. There was no mention of any other choice. Other than that the room was clean and fine. I also don't understand their comment that for $139 room the charge is $185 but when you check out its $151 which included the tax. They explained the difference as "incidentals that you get back?"

Breakfast room was very nice and there were many choices of items including a western omelet with sausage.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability and Hearing Access/Non-Smoking

Bed was hard, and there was no water in the room (I'm mean, come on. Bulk water's just $.10 a bottle!).

Very nice, professional lady at the front counter when I checked-in. The room was clean and quite.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Quite obvious there were problems with a couple of folks in the breakfast area - the "gentleman" emptying the trash cans seemed to have an attitude with the manager of the breakfast area - he was changing the trash, he left stuff on the floor and when he took the lids off a couple of the trash cans he dropped them on the floor, intentionally - bit loud. Personally I would have probably fired him - regardless of the problem it made breakfast a little less than what I have come to expect from Hampton Inns. There was a young lady with short dark hair who worked non-stop cleaning, organizing, talking ot the guests - very nice and very professional - the fellow emptying the trash cans could take a lesson or two

I really liked everything - a tad pricey but I understand location, fees, taxes, etc drive that

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The complimentary breakfast was better than one would typically expect at a similar property - one that mainly caters to business travel. Not much competition on Daniel Island, but the cost is very reasonable for the greater Charleston area.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bathtub was super slippery, upon first use, missed having a microwave in the room, I would of liked a bathroom fan, vending was out of water

I loved the restaurant next door, I loved the shuttle van, breakfast was great

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

Booked by accident. But selection was excellent. Had to leave too early and missed Farmers' Market! Excellent accommodations and next-door Island Restaurant.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

Everything was Great!!!

I Loved the way the staff treated us especially the wonderful ladies over the breakfast. We enjoyed ourselves so much the last time we came back and brought our friends as well. They also enjoy themselves. Great Experience!!!!

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

Housekeeping. Stayed 5 nights with 2 rooms. Sometimes made the bed, sometimes didn't show up at all. Didn't replace towels , had to request

Very accommodating , friendly staff

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

There was a sheer curtain in the room with black out curtains that did not close but so far. The huge gap in the curtains made for a really early wake up. It would have been nice to sleep in, but it was hard to do when the sun came up. An option to close the curtains would make this property perfect. I would have liked to have seen the tables in the breakfast area wiped down.

Loved the location. The room was impeccably clean. The breakfast variety was nice. The staff was welcoming and nice. They even reccommended a nice place for pizza called Vespa's that was great!

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

Hanging, sliding door that closes bathroom to open closet is both ridiculous and dangerous. And, terrible idea. No usable drawers in room doesn't invite me to stay more than a night or two. More of a hotel for business people.

Comfortable bed. Diversity for breakfast was good. Employees were very nice. Pool area was nice.

• Reviewed: 20 July 2016

• One-Bedroom King Suite with Sofa Bed

I booked and paid for a king suite and was given regular king room. Switched to two double handicap room. Would of liked to have the suite.

Comfy place. Neat and clean.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

As with most hotels, the A/C can get noisy at times.

The room was well maintained. Comfortable beds, nice size bathroom. Lovely pool. Very nice design of the hotel and property. Staff was wonderful and gave great suggestions on restaurants and places to visit with directions. Love the shuttle van. Loved Daniel Island.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

More staff in the morning when large groups come in. The area where the food was did not lend to an appetite with it being such a mess. Trash needed taken out, no coffee. Not enough food for the ones that did not get up early, floor was sticky every morning. People have no respect for others space. Staff was great, just need more.

Beds were comfortable Booked us in a king when I told them we need two beds. Did change it thank goodness or we would have had to leave.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

Asked for a wake up call and never got one. Was told shuttle would be available to take us to city, and whenever I askef I was told to try taxi or uber

Staff were great. Everyone always had a smile on their face and a cheery demeanour. Ed was always happy to help out with any questions or needs. Cleaning staff were top notch.

• Reviewed: 6 July 2016

The breakfast left a lot to be desired. We went down at 8:00 in the morning. The place was very disorganized and many things needed to be replenished. Very disappointed.

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

• King Room with Sofa Bed

We didn't get the room we reserved, then they moved us to a room that was no better. No apology, no empathy, just take it or leave it.

Breakfast is good but over priced and understaffed on the weekend. Rooms are very clean (entire facility, really). Great views when you get the right room!

• Reviewed: 27 June 2016

Nothing bad to say and I am very picky about my choice of hotels, I read a lot of reviews before staying

It was very nice clean and comfortable to sleep in

• Reviewed: 25 June 2016

• King Room with Sofa Bed

Pool was not clean and housekeeping only cleaned our room twice during our 6 night stay. The first time we had to ask for it to be done.

Staff was very sweet and helpful.

• Reviewed: 20 June 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Staff was arrogant and rude.Did not listen to me when I asked to pay in cash, they posted on my card anyway. Talked to me as if I was beneath them. Horrible customer service!!! Price was too high due to the location it was in the middle of nowhere.

I truly enjoyed the bed. I slept well.

Great staff, beautiful grounds and room.

the bed and bathroom was amazing my fiancé and i will definitely be staying here again

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The area is desolate. Large modern blocks of offices and apartments but no one is there. Very strange.

Nothing to do near the property without driving a few miles no restaurants or shopping

Within a few miles of sites and attractions