Reviews of Hampton Inn Charleston Downtown Civic Center 3 stars

1 Virginia Street West, Charleston, WV 25302, USA

#9 of 19 hotels in Charleston

• Double Room with Two Double Beds with Refridgerator and Microwave - Non-Smoking

Online booking HEADING said the room was for 2 queen beds, but description said 2 doubles - wasn't sure what we were getting until arrival. It was the 2 double beds...

Shuttle service was excellent; driver was very personable and knowledgeable about the area/things to do.

i did not like pool area, too small and there was no hot tub. also the fitness area was under repair.

beds were very comfortable. rooms were clean. staff were very friendly and helpful in answering our questions.

• King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The room we booked and payed for was NOT the room we were given at check in. We were told the hotel had been booked to capacity and then overbooked by booking.com. We weren't turned away like some people BUT we didn't get the room we booked and payed for. The same happened with our friends and they were given a room with one bed - they had 4 people in their party. The kicker is that we booked this stay 7 weeks ago! They knew this problem existed and NEVER bothered to inform us so we could decide whether to make alternate arrangements AND despite getting a lesser room than we booked they still charged us the full rate, blame was put on booking.com and our very quick and busy trip had time wasted in trying to get a resolution from the hotel itself and from booking.com. We have had to endure hours of holding, talking to different reps, emails, and still 4 days later have received no resolution, rate compensation, or ANYTHING other than headaches. Save yourself the suffering and NEVER use booking.com or this hotel for that matter!

• King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Room didn't have a microwave and a refrigerator. The pool was not heated. And they charged my credit 3 times at 3 different times. The staff at check in didn't tell us about the breakfast or pool or basically they just gave me my room key

I liked where it was located.

This place was the worst place I have ever been to. Could not sleep at all. Pool was broken and fitness center equipment would not work.we were switched from the room we originally booked that had a microwave and fridge to a room that had nothing and looked over the broken pool. The food from breakfast made my entire family sick that left a metal taste in our mouths for the rest of the day.... To top it off $190 is what I had to pay for this trashy service.

Food made my family sick

Chlorine was high in pool did bleached my suit, burned our eyes and body. Even after showering afterwards our bodies still smelled like chlorine.

Breakfast was good and plenty. Room was nice and clean.

I made reservations for a double room. When I got there they said their facility didn’t have double rooms. However, they wouldn’t adjust my booking price. The room itself was small and not clean. So for 2 nights I paid 302.84 for a room that wasn’t worth $50/night. In addition. Without my consent they debited $50 from my checking account.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Could not eat the eggs at breakfast... tried but just could not get them down no matter how polite I was trying to be. They looked like real scrambled eggs but there was no taste and the texture was just horrible. The 2% milk was good though. I did not try the other options, did not have the stomach for it at that point.

Great bed and bathroom was very clean.

We picked the hotels on our travel, that included a pool (for the kids to use), wifi and breakfast. However, we were very disappointed with the condition of the pool when we arrived (around 9pm in evening). Now, some of it is due to other people being ignorant & not cleaning up after themselves but I do feel the hotel staff should of checked in on the area to ensure it was clean.

I thought the cost of the hotel was great and the location was very easy to find. Staff were very friendly, both when we arrived Saturday evening and departed Sunday morning. All of the family enjoyed the breakfast that was offered!

I did not like that our TV wasn't working (but did receive a small gift as an apology) or that the shuttle didn't run on Saturday or Sunday. It would've been so much easier for my niece and I to get to the Civic Center. Walking really wouldn't have been out of the question, but she was on crutches.

Although I would prefer to be next door to the mall and Civic Center, this location was still great. I loved that the lobby offered complementary snacks, coffee, tea, and hot chocolate all day. Breakfast was also a great asset. The shuttle service was so convenient on Friday night to go to the mall. Our TV would not work, and we were able to get assistance right away. Although it still wouldn't work, we were offered a new room (which we declined) and given 2 small gift cards as an apology. I would definitely recommend this hotel for its price opposed to paying more for the ones right next to the mall.

Beds were only double sized....queen sized would have been much more comfortable. Most of the staff was very nice....only the girl that checked us in was not nice at all. Rooms were a bit on the small size but bathroom was not as tight as some I have been in.

Window coverings blacked out all light which is a bonus when traveling with small children. Breakfast was very good. Rooms seemed very quiet, not alot of noise heard thru the walls or pipes. Rooms appeared clean and provided a nice amount of linens.

• Queen Room - with Bath Tub - Disability Access

the breakfast was set up and ready for us the moment we came down stairs. Beverages in separate locations with hot coffees away from main food which was nice not to have to wait for people to get thru getting their food just to get a cup of hot coffee. Cold juice was located at the end of the items where kids could not get hurt but yet get a cold drink of juice. very well planned.

My key card stopped working in the middle of our stay and the staff was extremely rude about it and said it was most likely our fault it was no longer working. The hotel says downtown... it makes it seem like it's actually in downtown Charleston and it's not. Needs a hot tub and pool upgrade, the pool paint is peeling so bad it was torn off in foot sections.

That I couldn't stay longer

We loved our stay overall. The beds were so wonderful. I didn't wake up with a stiff back. Breakfast was great. The receptionist were so nice and helpful.

• King Room with Refrigerator and Microwave - Non-Smoking

Nothing! I was not expecting The Four Seasons. It's a top-notch motel that is very clean and comfortable and with nice desk staff. The location is easy to get to, and they are right around the block from a Star Bucks!

The bed and pillows were very nice. The layout of the room is just right. The bathroom was good. Everything was clean (just a few spots the housekeeper missed). The small fridge was actually cold, unlike at many other motels. The staff was nice to me but they seemed irritated with one another. But these things happen everywhere. We've stayed there before and would not hesitate to stay again.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Nothing everything was fine.

The bed was very comfortable, staff was very helpful, location was convenient. My family and I enjoyed our stay with Hampton very much. Thank you for an uneventful trip.

Location was great, a very short drive (or walkable if you're into that sort of thing) to the mall with different restaurants available. Room was clean, bed was comfortable. Free breakfast was good.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

To get to the hotel right off the freeway was terrible. There is construction going on and I got there around 1 in the morning from driving all day. The construction lasted all through the night. So no good sleep at all.

The breakfast was good. So glad to have eaten there. I still had a 7 hr car ride that day.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

The site on booking.com say the rooms are equipped with a refrigerator and microwave. None of the 8 rooms I reserved had them. One room was dirty.. ladies hair band on the floor and messy bedding.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

• King Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

We had jack hammering all night long. Everyone was making complaints. The staff knew that the work was being done and they should have advised people that road work was being done.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

• King Room with Refrigerator and Microwave - Non-Smoking

The front desk clerk who checked us in was slow,disorganized and had a sarcastic fake smile.

The free take away breakfast. Also, the free local shuttle.

I could of done a better job keeping that breakfast bar stocked. Both waffle makers were out of order. There was a lot of unhappy children all morning. Eggs were out, milk, half n half, fruit bowl never replenished nor the yogurt. It got an F grade in my book. But that was the only disappointment with the hotel.

Walking distance to civic center and ease arriving to the hotel. The room was plenty big and very relaxing.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Bed was very firm, shower didn't drain properly. Breakfast was not complete - waffle maker broken, limited selection on other items. Evening before popcorn machine was broken. Accidentally charged the room on both my card I used when booking AND on my debit card when asked for an incidentals card. We will literally NEVER stay here again.

There was nothing I didn't like about my stay

The beds were some of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in ,even better than mine at home the buffet was delicious and the staff was extremely kind and courtious the Hampton Inn Downtown Charleston wv is my new home away from home.

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

• King Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The two seater sofa pulled out to only fit one person, after my 8 yr old laid down there was no more space for me (I'm 140lbs) although it said the room would sleep 4, unless they thought the Queen would sleep 3 which was a tight squeeze with me and two other small children.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. We liked being close to the civic center. It was clean.

Reserving through booking.com. the information did not make it to the hotel so we had to reserve another room. The staff was great, but I will not use booking.com again.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

Not a thing.

Friendly, knowledgeable efficient staff. The shuttle service, not only to/from the airport, but also to dinner or shopping is a great bonus.

• King Room with Refrigerator and Microwave - Non-Smoking

The room humidity was high but probably due to halls not air conditioned. Not major problem but noticed.

Location, friendly front desk staff, and food service. We were within walking distance or shuttle service to all of our events.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

Can't think of a thing!

The staff were very friendly and helpful and gave us a map of all the great restaurants and things to do. Room was clean and comfortable. No complaints!

Not enough parking.

Clean well kept.

• King Room with Refrigerator and Microwave - Non-Smoking

Stayed three nights did not clean our room one time. Pool out of commission.

Bed was comfortable

Location seemed a Lil sketchy

Easy in and out from expressway

• Queen Room - with Bath Tub - Disability Access

Comfortable bed. Super nice staff. Shuttle van. Clean hotel.

• Queen Room - with Bath Tub - Disability Access

Good breakfast and very friendly front desk staff!

No Refrigerator in room ,no hot tub in the facility, the treadmill was broken and the pillows had no support

No fridge in room.

Cleanliness and service, comfy bed.

No hot tub or frig

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Loud road noise, breakfast was too busy and not fully stocked, exercise equipment was out of order.

The veiw

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

All employees were very friendly and helpful

• King Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The location wasn’t as close to places exactly described

The comfort of the beds

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Parking was not good for big trucks

Clean room.

• King Room with Refrigerator and Microwave - Non-Smoking

Very noisy from street and Interstate traffic.

• King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Parking was a bit tough because they were booked pretty full.

Breakfast was good. Coffee was nice and strong.

Coffee was Luke warm and the eggs and sausage was cold

• Queen Room - with Bath Tub - Disability Access

fresh coffee waiting for you as you check in and out polite employees clean rooms clean public bathrooms breakfast ready right at 6 am

• King Room with Refrigerator and Microwave - Non-Smoking

Most convenient location and pleasant facilities.

Tough to get into parking lot.

Very comfy beds. Staff excellent, shuttle driver was extremely helpful.

• King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

was able to book on the fly.

work out room did not have enough equipment. Line for treadmill was 3 people deep.

Great breakfast.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Bed was too soft. Could not find a switch for the bathroom fan so it was steamy.

Lobby was a nice zone for breakfast and waiting.

Nice

It's nice

Size of bathroom

Good selection for breakfast

• King Room with Refrigerator and Microwave - Non-Smoking

Bed was a bit soft for our liking. Just a personal preference.

The clean linens and fresh smell of the room.

The staff was friendly and very helpful!

location was perfect for where I needed to go. Beds were perfect. Security for this property was excellent!

No issues

Comfortable and clean room.

BATHROOMS WERE NOT CLEAN. AIR CONDITIONER BROKEN

BED VERY COMFORTABLE. FOOD VERY SUITABLE FOR FAMILY.

We don't like the smell of our room and it's smells terrible

We like the settings of the room.

• King Room with Refrigerator and Microwave - Non-Smoking

Tried getting 2rooms close together but they were on different floors.

Easy check in. The staff were very nice.

The mattress was uncomfortable, but everything else was great.

• Queen Room - with Bath Tub - Disability Access

exercise room, no strength equipment

shuttle service, clean room, friendly, helpful staff

Staff was really great!

• King Room with Refrigerator and Microwave - Non-Smoking

Staff very responsive when we told them our room suddenly had a peculiar odor - they said they would move us if the problem continued.

• King Room with Refrigerator and Microwave - Non-Smoking

Bathroom Toilet wouldn't flush, Floor in the room was extremely dirty, Bathroom was dirty

Friendly Staff, Good Breakfast, Easy Access to Freeway

The pool was great and the coffee bar.

No complaints

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Hard to find, need a bigger sign.

Breakfast was bland

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Wish there was better breakfast selection, the selection wasn't to our liking.

Super clean super friendly staff

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The complimentary breakfast was fantastic!!,

Close to civic center

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

Close to highway

Front desk staff

Not much more.

The valet staff, a little pricey, but you knew your car was in good hands with Sterling, James and Andy.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

• King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Beds were comfortable and the people that helped us at the front desk were wonderful.

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017