Reviews of Hampton Inn Cleveland-Downtown 3 stars

1460 East Ninth Street, Cleveland, OH 44114, USA

#10 of 32 hotels in Cleveland

• Reviewed: 17 October 2018

Excellent location, my son and I did everything within walking distwnc of hotel.

Valet parking at $30.00 per day was a little expensive.

Great location, room was clean and nice, and the breakfast was excellent. Easy valet parking, as was check in and check out.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Clean, friendly and safe place to stay.

Insufficient counter space in bathroom. No mirror and plug space in main room. Difficult for grooming in bathroom. Impossible for two people to groom (hair and makeup) at the same time. The sound carried through walls from down hall, doors, voices, etc. Complimentary ear plugs in room did not compensate for noise disruptions.

Location was convenient, felt safe to walk to destinations. All staff were courteous and helpful.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

Very unsatisfactory!!!

This hotel must take pictures at other hotels and post them to their site, the rooms were as big as closets, dirty. When asking questions at the front seat they were very rude. We also asked and paid for a cot to be in the room only to get there and they gave us the excuse that they only had theee and it was on a first come service. They specifically told us they would hold one for us. Very unprofessional staff!! We asked for other rooms then and they laughed and said they were booked up. I asked to talk to the manager, well the one girl said she was when her name tag clearly didn’t say so. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE IN THE DOWNTOWN CLEVELAND OHIO AREA TO ANYONE!!!!! DO NOT BOOK OR STAY AT THIS HOTEL

The Valet service was very nice

• Reviewed: 28 September 2018

Awesome, comfortable and convenient!!!! ANd very friendly!!!!

really nothing!!

The property was clean, the staff was very friendly and accommodating. The valet service was fabulous!! Could not have asked for a better location in the city for what we were doing. Breakfast was a bonus (although the coffee was mediocre and kind of lukewarm). I would absolutely stay here again when I come to Cleveland!!!

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

Comfortable and in a GREAT location.

The view from the room but there's nothing you can do about that. We just closed the blinds.

This place was the perfect location for what we all wanted to do while we were there (only there 2 days). Walking distance to Indians field, Rock Hall and The Flats. Plus there were several spots we discovered on the way to those places that we enjoyed also.

Overall, it was a good stay. I will stay again and recommend it to others as well thank you

I had to contact the front desk and ask for more Towels which should have been handled at the time the staff provided room service.

The breakfast provided was excellent the location to the amenities was great the friendliness and the willingness of the staff to accommodate was great thank you.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

The staff was super friendly and helpful.

I liked everything! The room was great, the location was better.

The staff was super friendly and helpful. We arrived late and they were very welcoming and helped to orient us immediately. The room was great, the beds were comfy and the bathroom was very clean. The location was perfectly situated in Downtown Cleveland so you can walk everywhere and not have to move your car.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

Would def stay again!

One of the morning valet workers stood talking to someone in a car that was blocking me from leaving. Not caring that I was trying to leave nor did she apologize

Convenient location. The evening staff was amazing. So nice and helpful. Especially the valet.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Great location for a trip to downtown Cleveland!
    • Queen Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

maybe a few more options/items at breakfast

Great location - perfect for visiting the Rock Hall or catching a baseball game. Room size was perfect for us since we were traveling with teenagers.

I was only in the room 5 hours so don't have much to rate.

I noticed the earplugs in the bathroom with the shampoo, etc. I should have worn them as I could hear people racing their cars all night.

The room was very clean.

Good overall but not cost effective for long stays. If rates better would have stayed at that locat

Rates could be lower. Needed a car to explore so just as easy to acquire room farther away and cheaper

Check in female working days on 7/14/18 was pleasent and efficient! Valets were fabulous.

Room was very clean.

Parking choices: valet ($30/day) or street/meter parking. Our room didn’t have frog or microwave.

Room was very clean. Beds extremely comfortable. Breakfast (hot) was wonderful with many choices and the breakfast staff were beyond friendly!! Location perfect for Rock N Roll Hall of Fame.

Close and affordable.

We got and they did not have our room ready until 2 hours after check in. We were attending a game. Once we got our room, it was clear they didn't make it up. The bed was still un-made and the bathroom was dirty and messy.

Close and affordable.

Excellent.
    • Queen Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

I like the suite rooms given to us. Very nice and spacious and comfortable.I like the location. Very close to nice places to see. We had a good walk around it.

Friendly staff and beautiful room, just a little noisy

We were awoken several times in the night by voices from the room next door and from people getting off the elevator, as well as by sirens from outside. Also my kids were disappointed by the lack of a pool.

The bed was extremely comfortable, the room clean, and the view of the cathedral and downtown pretty. All of us enjoyed the breakfast. I was surprised by how tasty the Western omelet was.

This was a fulfilling and enjoyable stay that went beyond our expectations

I cannot think of anything.....

We value courtesy and friendliness from staff: people who know how to smile, make eye contact, greet, extend small cordialities, and make us feel “special” beyond a perfunctory way. The location was deal; breakfast was more than ample; the price was certainly compatible with our retiree sense of a good value. This may have been the most comfortable and fulfilling stay of a road trip from Boston.

Great stay overall.
    • Queen Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Breakfast buffet space was small for so many people trying to get around to different food items.great stay overall

Very clean. Staff were nice and helpful.

The staff was nice and professional. The hotel was clean but lack the regular amenities.

I didn't like the fact that the room did not have a microwave, a safe or a refrigerator. The staff walked into our room on 2 different occasions without knocking or notifying us. That was very unprofessional and scary at the same time. I was scared to sleep at night because I didn't know if someone was going to just walk in our room.

May 3rd 2018

There wasn't much room in between the bed and the desk and the view wasn't much to be desired as we had a back building view.

It was clean, spacious bathroom and the location to anything Downtown Cleveland

Exceptional city location for many city events.
    • King Room - Disability/Hearing Accessible with Bathtub

Though there were many good breakfast selections the egg choices could have been better.

The location for our needs was superb we had the car valeted and walked to our interests and dining.

I would highly recommend this hotel to friends and family.
    • Queen Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Victor was a big help with directions when I learned at the last minute that I NEEDED a new shirt for a wedding. Plus the ladies made an adjustment after checking in to move my Mom to a different floor to be close to her brother. Everyone was pleasant, courteous and helpful.

Check in and staff were wonderful.

There was a church directly outside our window across the street. The bells seemed to never stop. The pillows were so soft you may as well not even had one. I had to stack three pillows to get the feeling of one

Check in and staff were wonderful. Everything was extremely clean and the property was clise to everything.

The room was nice and it was in a good location.

The continental breakfast was meh. Also the set up wasn't very good. It was in the nook of the lobby, with only one way in/out, so guests were on top of each other.

The room was nice and it was in a good location. No problems with anything during our stay.

You get what you pay for at the Hampton, we will never stay there again.
    • King Room - Hearing Accessbile/Non-Smoking

Rooms are super small, we were able to hear our neighbors talking and snoring. The ice machine was as loud as a freight train. The front desk staff was short and non-friendly, and even on checkout seemed to care less how the stay was. The breakfasts both days were terrible, meats were hard and the eggs tasted rubbery both days.

Location was the only bonus to this place.

Unpleasant

For the money that it cost, the beds should have at least been a little comfortable. It felt as if we were sleeping on a piece of wood!!!!! We went just to laze around and we honestly couldn’t even sleep in because the beds were so hard and uncomfortable!

It was comfortable!
    • King Room - Hearing Accessbile/Non-Smoking

I was sad there was no fridge in our room and that there was no swimming pool. Also, parking is terrible down there and you have to pay expensive valet or a parking garage fee.

I liked how convenient it was to downtown areas. We stayed here so we could walk to the Quicken Loans Arena.

The bed was too hard.

Better pillows. Housekeeping not trying to come in the room at 10 while we were still in bed.

The bed was too hard. The pillows werent firm. I could have used 4 more. But it was quick checking in and checking out and it was a great tike getting away with my friends.

The staff was very friendly and very helpful.

The bed was rock hard and very uncomfortable. It made for a terrible night's sleep. It felt like I was sleeping directly on a box spring with no actual mattress.

The staff was very friendly and very helpful. They were the best part of my stay!

Very dissatisfied.

I had a lot of trouble with booking my room, some of the staff were not professional. My wifi didn't work at all.I have never been treated this way at a Hamton Hotel. I would not recommend Hamton Downtown Cleveland to anyone. Some of the stuff in our room wasn't clean.

Great Overnight Stay

Vallet parking was pretty expensive considering other lots weren't that far away. Unless you are staying for a event, don't use the vallet. Other than that, the hotel itself was very clean.

Get location! Everything was within a 10-15 minute walk, yet far enough from it being lould and crazy.

I would not stay here again it’s not worth my money

Well during check in the girl didn’t give me a print out because she said I hadn’t been charged yet. So I checked my bank account right after and the whole stay had already been charged, and then some. Then when it was my last day I called and requested a late check out and I was told oh we aren’t honoring those today.... who says that for one and this is the first place I have ever stayed at that has denied me a late checkout. The complementary breakfast too even though it’s complementary doesn’t mean the quality should have been so poor. I also didn’t get room service all weekend.

I liked that the hotel wasn’t too noisy.

No cocktails as advertised. Young lady that did breakfast was very friendly. Valet parking but stole change from our car despite us tipping $5 each time. Hope with the extra change they can maybe get a drink to celebrate their thievery smh.

I was not charged the booking.

I was not charged the booking.com rate for the room, that I booked, and after we arrived home it was noticed, on my bank statement, the following evening after I checked out, and I called to speak with someone, the woman I spoke to, who was not very helpful or friendly informed me no one was there to answer my question regarding my bill and I needed to speak with a manager who was not there at that time , and to call back the next day. I never called back to try and dispute it, I was charged about $19 more and I just made a decision that I would never return to that hotel again

It was in a good location .

That there wasn't a refrigerator in the room. We asked and they brought a refrigerator and microwave up. The room was clean except it needed a little more attention to the dusting headboard and lamps.

It was in a good location . We could walk to some places.

Nice, clean conveniently located.
    • King Room - Disability/Hearing Accessible with Bathtub

I was put in a wheelchair assisted room with a board in the bathtub. Would have been excellent we’re i to need it. But it was a great inconvenience and the hotel couldn’t do anything because I booked outside of Hampton. If I wanted it resolved I’d have to contact you. So I ENDURED it😤😡

Great location,excellent staff,good value,breakfast was crowded but great.

super soft pillows,all 4 mushed down to maybe one regular pillow.

The staff was amazing,the manager couldn't have been nicer,I had a billing issue AND was a bonehead and left something in my room,and they were extremely helpful!

I don't think I will stay there again because of the above writing issues value for the price is not

The parking prices. There are high at the hotel but cheaper across the street. Since it was an early morning checkout but we were a late checkin, we noticed the bed cover was stained. But since we had to get up so early we did not call t he front desk about it. One would think you should not have to do this for a hilton hotel.

The staff was very nice and helpful.

The hotel did not have our reservation when we arrived.
    • Queen Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The hotel did not have our reservation when we arrived. We were suppose to have a suite and they had to split us up into 2 rooms that did not have a fridge or microwave as planned.

It was ok , can’t complain to much food was good staff at night was better .
    • Queen Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Room still had a little trash in there when we came , microwave door was a bit dirty on outside . One of our sheets had glitter on it not sure if it was from previous guest or not . To many young kids in lobby not doing anything.

Yes and yes .

Really loved the ease and speed of check in.

Wish the bathroom had an exhaust fan, and our wifi would not accept the password that was given to us.

Really loved the ease and speed of check in. It was really great, very close to everything! This is our 3rd time to stay here and we love it!

Over charged on room

My stay at this hotel would’ve been an enjoyable one if I would’ve paid the original price on room. When I booked room it was priced at $119 which wasn’t bad. Unfortunately when I arrived to hotel I was asked for card I would like to use to pay for room. I gave staff a different credit card than I use on booking.com. There was then a $350 hold put on this card which I thought was extremely high for a $120 room but didn’t think to much of it just expected the remaining balance would be refunded back to my card. So when I went to check out I took a look at my bill and was actually being charged $250 for a room that I booked at the price of $119. I spoke with the staff there and was told it was a mistake on there end and should see a refund within 3-5 business which I thought was a little ridiculous to get my own money that wasn’t supposed to be taken out of my account but I was alright with this. As I looked into my other banking accounts the card that I have set up for booking.com was also charged an incorrect balance of $350 so as you can imagine I was upset because was not only one card billed for an incorrect amount an card i never gave to this hotel was also billed. When I asked to speak with manager the best answer I could get would my money would be refunded in 3-5 business days. At this point I’m extremely upset I came for a one night stay at this hotel for what I thought was going to cost me $120 and ended up paying over $600! I know crazy...Good thing I actually have the money or it would’ve been a long week for me..like I said room would’ve totally been worth original price forsure not worth $600 will never stay at this place again and if you learn anything from me make sure you check your check out receipt

Room was nice and in a good location.

Very loud and noisy all night long. Requested a roll away or a cot on booking and it got missed somehow. One person had to sleep on the floor. No room to sit at breakfast.

Room was nice and in a good location.

It was great, easy to find good location and free breakfas

I didn’t like that they had valet only. Luckily we read trip advirsor and there was a parking garage right around the corner and instead of paying $30 per night for valet, we paid $5 to stay in the garage for a night so it was a fair trade and it was literally around the corner from our hotel it was called Rockwell parking garage is anyone is ever looking.

The staff was super friendly every time I walked out they told me to have a good time or good day and every time I walked in they told me welcome back! Within walking distance of pretty much everything we got to the hotel and just went exploring and yes it’s a lot walking but no more than a mile or two to everything. No need for taxi or uber!

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Great experience! Good price!

The hotel could use a bar.

The staff was very nice! We arrived Wednesday 12/13 around 8 pm after a hazardous drive through snow. The man at the desk was so friendly and helpful. We went to a concert at the house of blues and when we returned to the hotel around midnight, a woman was at the front desk. She was so kind and helpful, as we were looking for a bar still open in the area. We actually wanted to stay there with her and chat because she was such a lovely person.

Nice beds.

Nice beds. Good breakfast. Could have a few more employees working due to big crowd, especially at breakfast, probably because you have such a great facility for the money! Also, staff working the desk when we checked in on Saturday were very friendly and personable!

Amazing downtown hotel with comfortable accommodations and friendly staff!
    • Queen Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Their daily valet parking fee was a bit high and seemed higher than other hotels in the area. There's a parking garage right around the corner with a $10 maximum daily fee. I'd recommend that. It didn't inconvenience me at all.

Amazing location - only a few blocks from all the major attractions in Cleveland and right off the highway. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating with requests. The room was spacious, modern, clean, and very well maintained. No complaints at all.

Nothing didn't stay

Cancelled room through booking. Com and Hampton told no charge. Was charged $159 twice. Cancelled in time frame given. NEVER again!!!!

Nothing didn't stay

Downtown Cleveland is perfect for a one or two-day trip if you're in town to catch a sporting event.

I don't eat pork. For breakfast there was no alternative meat offered for those who don't.

Location in respect to all the sporting arenas and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Had a great time in Cleveland

The room faced the street and, Even though we were on the 8th floor, we could hear cars driving by at night. Very noisy

The bed was very comfortable, Breakfast was very good!

Noisy! Won't stay here again.

Incredibly noisy. I should have known something was up when I saw the complimentary ear plugs sitting next to the shampoo in the bathroom. I've never stayed in such a noisy place. I was on the 7th floor, I mays as well have been sleeping on the curb outside. Firetruck and police cars all night long. Even the regular car traffic was loud. Didn't like the mandatory valet parking for $28 a day either.

Room was nice and clean. Staff was friendly. Close to R&R Hall of Fame.

Would stay at the Hampton again if I have business in Cleveland. Great value for the price.

the staff went over and above on all occasions! Burgandy helped us get the right room and was very welcoming when we arrived. The coffee was hot and good in the lobby.

Location was great for walking to sporting events and Rock...

No refrigerator in room. $28 per day for ypyr car to sit in their garage. Always seems excessive to me

Location was great for walking to sporting events and Rock Hall.

I'd do it again, only this time I would be sure that the reservation was actually made.

Na

Well, I got there the first of 3 nights however booking.com screwed up and didn't have my reservation made through to the hotel so I unfortunately had to go elsewhere, but the second and third night of my trip were amazing and the staff was awesome

Great for what you pay for.

The room was quite small. If we traveled with small children it would've been a problem. There was no on-site parking so you had to pay for valet and it was like $30 a day .

Walking distance to the Rock Hall of Fame. Comfortable beds and furnishings.

Check you invoice.

We booked at one rate and we were charged more than double that rate on Sunday because of football and baseball games in Cleveland that day.

Great time

If you go on a weekend parking garage is defiantly cheaper if you don't plan on driving alot.

It was very clean and great location for walking places!

Great stay..

Ice machines could be on each floor.. Parking was expensive as well

The Complimentary Buffet style Breakfast was an awesome feature.. The proximity of the R&R hall of fame and the great lakes Science Center and the Cathedral across the street were great! Restaurants were plentiful in the area. Our Cousin became the 11th Bishop of Cleveland so closeness to the cathedral was important.

beautiful wood floors and historic charm

parking was a public ramp, not convenient. had to walk through the building with luggage. didn't realize there was a parking area to unload my car.

beautiful wood floors and historic charm

Location - walking distance of everything that we wanted to...

Was busy at breakfast

Location - walking distance of everything that we wanted to see. Staff friendly and valet parking helpful - car was ready within 10 minutes of call.

Excellent value downtown.

Parking isn't great. Either pay $28 for valet, or self park in a garage for $10 but it is only around the corner. Also, there was no fridge in our King room and the coffee maker was in the bathroom, which seemed odd.

The bed and bathroom were truly clean. I always inspect for hairs and such. The room was stocked with several amenities, which made it easy to relax. The staff was excellent, quick, and responsive. We loved how close the hotel was to all of our stops.

Good city location and stay!!!

Staff were rude to us when we went to advise them our room key did not work. The breakfast was not great, they were running short on all the food, the hot food was only a choice of 3 items (bacon, egg and french toast - I am vegetarian and do not eat eggs so it was continental for me). Pillows were too flat, soft and non-supportive (although this may just be my preference).

Great location, close to the ball park, bars and to get round the city. Good sized comfortable room. Parking was cheap, easily accessible and secure (offsite).

Accommodations were suitable for our needs. Would return again!

Pillows were awful Some weird light over the window. We couldn't figure out how to turn it off The woman working during checkout was miserable and muttered "I can't wait for this day to be over"

Location Convenience of breakfast being included Valet staff were friendly.

Staying at downtown Hampton is perfect for visiting CLE

Would have liked to have a mini fridge in the room for our restaurant leftovers. Also we left a note for housekeeping but it was overlooked. Minor stuff.

Staff very helpful and attentive. Breakfast offered a nice selection. Location was perfect for walking to downtown destinations.

Within walking distance to all venues and foods

Parking off site $16 overnite Valet $28+tax nightly No pool

Primarily the location. Secondly the staff was friendly. Room was clean and adequate (suite).

Sub par breakfast

The breakfast could have been better. The waffles were not very good.

Breakfast was 6a-10a, so that was great so we could sleep in a little and not miss much.

The arrangement of the breakfast area is one of the worst we...

The arrangement of the breakfast area is one of the worst we have experienced. It is time to expand the area and perhaps move the coffee to a different location and break down the wall to open up the room.

Room was great and bed super comfortable.

The breakfast was a huge disappointment as not prepared for the volume of people and the phot entrees were over cooked.

Room was great and bed super comfortable. Everything was clean and the staff well trained and extremely accommodating.

some minor knocks but good overall

The view from the room was of industrial air conditioning units. There was very little seating available for the breakfast in the morning. Housekeeping did not make up our room until the evening on the second day of our stay and so had to request clean towels.

Location is great to EVERYTHING.

Wanted some bottles of water from the "snack store" in the lobby and paid $6.00 for 2!!! That's just ridiculous!!! I could have bought a case of water for that!! Parking is terrible unless you want to use their only resource of valet parking for $30 a day ! There is a parking garage next-door and it's only $10 a day that is what we used instead.

It was in walking distance to everything that we wanted to see.

Not quite shat I expected.

Couldn't get into valet parking. They only have a few spaces to pull into. Circled block a couple times and ended up parking in a parking garage and carrying my stuff to the hotel.

Friendly staff

Excellent trip to Cleveland for ballgame

Everything was good.

The room was spacious & updated very well. The bathroom was excellent. The location was also excellent - a 10 minute walk to both the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame & Progressive Field. The free breakfast was also very good - lots of options.

Perfect location for me.

NOTHING!

Perfect location for me. I came into town to see a series between the Indians and the Dodgers as my primary reason for the trip, but wanted to see the Rock Hall of Fame as well and this hotel is within easy walking distance even for a senior citizen. The City and the area around the hotel were exceptionally clean and the people friendly. If I, for any reason, return to Cleveland, I will be staying at this location again. One final thing, free breakfast is hard to beat anytime, but the staff was friendly and very courteous and the food was fresh and well prepared. That's about all I have to say. Really enjoyed my trip.

REALLY GREAT HOTEL

Mattress was so-so - a little stiff (maybe bc it was new?)

Very clean, staff was very efficient and accommodating, the shower was fantastic - all three of us agreed! Location was great.

Don't pay for valet...
    • King Room - Disability/Hearing Accessible with Bathtub

You don't have to pay $28.00 for valet parking. Parking garage across the street cost less if you don't mine carrying your luggage.

Room was clean. Good location.

Stay was great - breakfast not so much

The coffee and breakfast did not taste good at all - very disappointed. The only food that tasted good was the fruit. Turkey links were hard, the gravy for the biscuits had no taste at all.

The stay, hotel, staff and room was excellent.