Reviews of Hampton Inn Downtown / French Quarter Area 3 stars

226 Carondelet Street, Downtown New Orleans, New Orleans, LA 70130, USA

#26 of 148 hotels in New Orleans

Our stay at the Hampton Inn and Suite was wonderful.

Everything was wonderful!

The location to Bourbon Street and Attractions downtown. The staff and people made you feel at home. The breakfast ever morning was wonderful. A variety of choices. The rooms were very clean and clean each day. We will be coming back again.

Great location, clean and quiet.

Parking was very expensive.

Great location, very quiet but near all the main attractions at Canal and Bourbon St. Good big comfy beds and spacious room.

Other than the valet and no parking room it was GREAT!!!!

While checking in , I felt like the only way I could get a room that was ready was to pay valet parking , then my room was ready instantly 🙁😞

I liked that it was walking distance from everything and that breakfast came with the room😃😃😃

Our favorite hotel in NOLA
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

key card requirement for elevator use provides wonderful security to keep non-guests out of the hotel, but having to use your key card to leave your floor to go to breakfast seems extreme. it took me a while to adjust to that and by then it was time to return home.

our room was spacious and very comfortable. free breakfast buffet had much more selection than any others I've experienced and the staff kept it full, clean and were exceptionally helpful. location was great - convenient to many attractions and easy access to the trolley system.

Convenient location, consistent Hampton Inn breakfast, and nice staff.

Overall, this hotel is clean, but the carpet in the room was a bit worn -- it's only been open for three years. Any additional issues I had, I addressed it directly to the reception staff. The person on the desk was extremely attentive, and solved my issue right away.

The hotel location was very convenient to my conference hotel location. The hotel staff were very nice. I will definitely rebook with them on my next visit to New Orleans.

This place was very Comfortable, must stay!

The only thing that I didn't like was the eggs from breakfast.

The room was bigger than we thought it would be. The agents where very friendly and very accommodating. Also the location is perfect because bourbon street is only like 2-5 min away (Its the same street), so if you don't want to be right on bourbon street but close enough this is perfect. You do not need to rent a car in this area, unless you are going far. The waffles are the best and their free.

Elevators did not seem to be working properly.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Elevators did not seem to be working properly. Plus one was out of service the whole time we were there. The computers to do your airline check in were both out of service the whole time of our stay.

Super close to the French quarter.

The only thing I didn’t like about the property where the old elevators. They were replacing them so I’m sure that won’t be an issue later on. The elevators would either both come at the same time and then one would not leave. I was stuck in one of the elevators for probably three minutes.

Super close to the French quarter. Easy walking distance to most attractions. Large, comfortable room. Excellent breakfast in the morning. We were allowed to check into our rooms at noon as they were already ready. Overall very happy stay. Will definitely stay there again.

Bumpy Ride

Over priced car valeting service. The car park is no more than twenty yards away and therefor easy to self park if you want too. The roads in the area ( and indeed throughout New Orleans are disgraceful with bone jarring, car wrecking pot holes.

Excellent location though told by a staff member the hotel is "surrounded by thieves ".

Good location, good room, but expensive parking.
    • King Room - Disability Access with Tub

The parking arrangements were valet parking and was very expensive. It cost $40 a night to park and we didn't have free access to the car. We had to call someone every time we needed something from the car. It was irritating.

The location was very good and the staff very helpful. The room was fine

Very convenient location, great breakfast, clean and comfortable - met our needs adequately.

The room phone rang randomly without rhyme or reason at all hours of the day and night (including the middle of the night while we were sleeping), and despite reporting it repeatedly and being promised repeatedly that it would be fixed, it was not fixed. One day we returned, having been out all day, to find the maid had left our room door ajar. We were lucky that clearly no one passing by had noticed it and nothing had gone missing from our room. Lighting in the room was insufficient leaving the room quite dark given it was very close to the building next to it, which reduced the level of natural light.

The location was ideal for exploring the French Quarter, Marigney and other surrounding areas. The breakfast was varied, tasty and great value. The 24 hour tea and coffee service was spot on, and a great welcome back after a long day out and about. The room was big, clean and comfortable. All in all great value for money.

good location; fair price;
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Convenient location. 1/2 block from St. Charles Streetcar. 2 blocks from French Quarter. 10 minute walk from riverfront Aquarium, shopping, casino, cruise terminal. 15 minute walk from Mercedes-Benz Superdome; Hotel shares a building with a small upscale office and shopping area. Hotel's breakfast spread was more than adequate and the room served as a lounge with free coffee at off hours.

It was very close to everything.

The property was fine. There was just a lot of construction which made parking difficult even with valet service.

It was very close to everything. The hotel was very clean.

We had a wonderful stay in New Orleans.

The view wasn't so good and I had asked for a nice view as it was our 40th wedding anniversary. The sink should be separate from the shower so it's easier for two people to get ready. The elevators were a little slow.

The bed was so comfortable and the room was quiet. The breakfast was very good.

Hampton in New Orleans at Corondelet

I was the only guest checking in at the time, the checking staff personnel never lookup to say hello, welcome to Hampton, or anything along those lines. In fact, she hid her face and looked down on the monitor all the time and never brought her head up to look at me until half way done into the process. This first welcoming impression made me feel uncomfortable. Never the less, my family and I enjoyed our staying at Hamton after then on.

Large room size and high ceiling, love the location, good breakfast, the room is clean, the valet staffs are friendly though I did not use valet parking.

Excellent Hotel

Valet only at $40/day

The rooms are spacious, breakfast was delicious, elevators were quick, great location, and the staff had excellent customer service!

The location of the hotel is ideal. The streetcars are nearby. The staff of doormen were great.

This hotel is in a great location to the French Quarter. It is about 2 blocks from Canal St. and directly across from Bourbon St. in a safe area. The staff of doormen were really helpful.

there need to be more of a selection for breakfast but in all its great place

There were termites in the room and the cleaning person skipped one day of cleaning

The location was great There was a situation with our room but it was handled very quickly

Great and would come back again.

room was huge, air conditioning was perfect. Room service was great. Staff was very friendly. Location to French Quarter was excellent. We walked everywhere. This was a very good experience from our arrival until our departure.

Good, but pricey for being pretty average.

I thought it was pretty expensive for being pretty average. The layout of the bathroom was strange. The room had a view of a brick wall about 5 feet away (read: very little natural light), there was no lamp or any light near the entryway, yet a full length mirror there (which is a waste if it's dark), and there was a strange smell in the hallway, kind of like a medicine-y chocolate shake, just... odd. Maybe it was because we were on the same floor as the buffet. Also, I am glad there were snacks and water to purchase in the lobby, but the selection was pretty poor.

The staff was really nice. I liked that the lobby was on the ground floor, unlike 2 of my friends' hotels in the area, and that the in-room safe had a light inside it to help you see. Also, the bed was pretty comfy. And great location.

The hotel is in an idea place convenient walking distance...

I could not communicate with our daily housekeeper - she spoke no English (how frustrating) Everything I asked her I got the response "no speak English". Not good!

The hotel is in an idea place convenient walking distance to most areas of interest.

Standard at best.

Out of three elevators maybe one worked the whole stay and we were stuck in it between floors once. Outside of the room it always smelled of raw sewage. The maid service was subpar they made bed and left clean towels but never cleaned up the room same garbage and trash sit around for three days. Never emptied out ice bucket of water and no cups and glasses for drinks.

First time in New Orleans.

Front desk staff. Limited to no eye contact when checking with them. So much for southern hospitality.

First time in New Orleans. Great expierence and location. I was walking distance form everywhere.

Convienent to French quarter
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

No exhaust fan in bathroom Asked for higher floor with view but got 5th floor with view of parking garages

Convienent to French quarter Bed was comfy Great breakfast

I will definitely return. I've already recommended it to my daughter for an upcoming visit.
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The hotel is large with lots of floors. There were four or five elevators. Originally I was assigned a room on the 11th floor and it took a while (with all the stops) to get to my room. I went back to the front desk and asked them to reassign me to a lower floor and they did without hesitation. I ended up on the 5th floor and was glad I made the change. Because the hotel is large, my room didn't get cleaned till late afternoon on two of the days. It was a little disappointing to come back to the hotel for a short nap around 3:30pm and discover a dirty room. I had to call the front desk and request service. End result - no nap. Just sat around waiting for someone to show up and then had to leave for 15 minutes while the room got cleaned. It was inconvenient. But honestly, this hotel was superior to other hotels I've visited in the French Quarter and the inconvenience was more than offset by the value I received.

Big "super tall" clean rooms. Great breakfast with lots of choices. Friendly staff. Excellent location. Just a short safe two block walk to the all the action in the French Quarter. Enjoyed the peaceful quietness of this building. Was surprised to discover it was attached to a small mall with a dry cleaners and food court. I had a corner room with wall to wall windows on two sides. One side was a street view. The other side was a view of an architecturally interesting brick wall. It had a super comfortable bed, a sofa sleeper, ottoman, modern bathroom, desk, fridge and microwave. Great value when compared to other hotels I've visited in the French Quarter.

Guess for the stay good value

Hotel looking little shabby - breakfast very limited - position very close to French quarter but last block of walk at night a little unsettling

Staff excellent - hotel just ok

Hotel was great. Service was excellent.
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Would have been nice if Booking.com had told me how much it cost to park a car. I would have planned the trip differently.

Food was good as Hampton Inn always is. That’s why we always try to choose Hampton Inn.

Breakfast was great.

Cost

Breakfast was great. The bell men were wonderful. Just don't think the room was worth almost $400/night. For that money, someone should was my back and give me a massage!!

It was very short, but very good. Especially one young man who was able to direct us where to go.

Everything was perfect. The only thing lacking was a availability of grabbing breakfast(light) in the hotel.

Very fun. New Orleans is one of my favorite cities.

One elevator was questionable. But was funny when we were in it.

Liked the different breakfast options each day. The group for the valet parking was awesome and the staff. Very friendly and nice.

We had a very nice trip and enjoyed our stay there.

Very low flow shower water pressure. Carpet had seen better days. Clean room.

Good selection for breakfast. Bed and pillows were very comfortable. Had everything you need in the room including: microwave, refrigerator, TV and iron. Good location.

Location was good.
    • King Studio

Flag polls clinging all night. Street cars all night. People talking on the street at night. The smell in the hallway was bad. Carpet in hallway was dirty.

Location was good. Size of room was great.

Very nice hotel.
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The room was very nice and the bed was so comfortable. It was easy to locate and the staff was very friendly. Everything we wanted to see and do was within walking distance.

Best stay I've had anywhere
    • King Studio

The only complaint I have is that the elevators are slow.

Every worker there was so friendly, they talk to you like they had known you all your life. Everyone from the maids to the valet, to the front desk.

The staff was really the only good part
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

I got a “free upgrade” from a king size bed to a room with 2 queens which I wasn’t really happy about. There were 5 elevators and for every day I was there but 1 only 1 elevator worked. The other day it was 2. For over $1000 for 5 days, I would think they would have the elevators working.

Fantastic staff and locatio

Nothing about the hotel, New Orleans is a city where you need to watch yourself at night even when it's a relatively safe area.

Excellent location, safe compared to some other areas downtown. Good security with key cards required for elevator. Huge rooms with good amenities, cleaned daily and comfortable beds.

Great Family Vacation at Hampton Inn.
    • King Studio

Housekeeping did not always get to our room. We were gone from early in the morning returning back at 4:30 -5 to find our room was not cleaned.

Location was excellent! Close to everything but far enough away. The area of the hotel was quiet but just a short walk to the hustle and bustle of Bourbon Street.

Staff was very pleasant and location was great.

The rooms need updating very dim though a great size but the couch was very stained and no ventilation in bathroom.

The location was perfect!!! Close to everything and within walking distances of major attractions.

Great place to stay!

The only thing that was bad about our stay was that we were in a room that had an adjoining door to the room next door and they were very noisy all night.

The staff were amazing! Very friendly and helpful. The hotel is in a convenient location close to everything.

Enjoyed the stay and it is centrally located for tourists.

No luggage racks in the room and no information as to where to find hotel amenities in room.

Food was hot or cold as required. Front desk staff was very helpful. The building was very quiet at night. Hotel was within walking distance of many tourist locations.

New Orleans 2018

Was told I could get a room that was non existing at this location. Was at least compensated by a complimentary night.

Had a small fridge and microwave in room. Very convenient when traveling w/children.

For what we payed and didn’t get the hotel till 6:00pm I thought it was a little much.

I waited till 6:00 to check in. I didn’t get to shower and get ready for dinner. Instead I was walking around with the clothes I had till we grabbed dinner. Came here to celebrate anniversary. We ended up wearing the clothes we traveled and just grabbed a bite instead of attending a nice restaurant.

The hotel was comfortable

It was ok
    • King Studio

I didn’t like the free breakfast because there was no meat. If there was meat the breakfast should have been good. The eight floor smelled like mildew

I like the area it’s in I love the spacious room

Had a wonderful time and enjoyed staying at Hampton Inn

Funny smell in lobby.

Great location. Close enough to French Quarter but in a MUCH quieter area. Good value. Would recommend and will visit again when in NOLA.

Good location with decent amenities, as expected in this...

Unpredictable timing of housekeeping -- as late as 4:30 pm. Carpeting in rooms seriously in need of cleaning: showered at night, stayed in room, had to wash feet in the morning. Comfortable enough.

Good location with decent amenities, as expected in this hotel chain.

OK stay.

It is an old hotel that was renovated to a decent degree, but the pipe system is old and VERY noisy. Our room was close to the elevators, that were beeping loudly to indicate their arrival. Because people are arriving and leaving all night long, it was a real nuisance. I mentioned it to the receptionists, but no solution was offered. Also, one of the elevators is very shaky and need a fix.

Location is excellent, Beds are comfortable, and the breakfast was great.

Very central only a 2 minute walk to the French Quarter etc,...
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Valet Parking, but there is a public car park just down the street which was only $15 for 24 hours compared to the hotels valet parking of $40 for 24 hours

Very central only a 2 minute walk to the French Quarter etc, great size rooms & very comfortable beds and great breakfast with great choice

Just average

The parking fee was outrageous, felt like I was left with little choice. Eventually found my own parking for half price.

Front desk staff very pleasant and attempted to accommodate as much as possible.

Good location, waffle maker, big room.

Several staff members we encountered were rude. A maid in particular came by in the morning and we let her know we would be out in 15 minutes. Left and came back 5 hours later after a city tour and more to a dirty room. No big deal we were stopping in for a quick lunch. She came by after we had lunch in the room and were headed back out. This was at least 6 hours after the first stop. We told her we would leave again and she rolled her eyes and said “You SAID you were leaving this morning! When are you going?” It was beyond unprofessional.

Good location, waffle maker, big room.

We LOVED it! Short enough?

There was a time a guy came and brought the car and hit the tire on the corner didn’t apologize but we dropped it we knew he was very busy!

The valet workers were awesome! They helped so much with tours and they were sooo friendly we very much enjoyed their company and the fastness of getting our car ready and everything!

It was close to French quarter it far enough to escape...

It did not have a restaurant or bar. Also miss having bathtub

It was close to French quarter it far enough to escape noise .we were able to walk from ww2 museum and easy access to trolleys.

The staff is what made this property.
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Elevators need some work and the parking rate seemed high at 39. per day plus 5.57 tax. On the

The staff is what made this property. Everyone was very helpful and pleasant. Our group felt safe and the rooms were modern and clean. flip side my car was secure and we did not have to walk a long ways to get it.

Would definitely recommend this hotel to others...

We liked it all!!!

The room was very spacious and clean and the staff courteous, friendly and accommodating... the breakfast offered by the hotel was outstanding...

Over all my stay was good

The hotel clerk never informed us of the food court upstairs We didn't notice till the day we was leaving. We went out for food when we could've eaten right there in the hotel.

The location was close to Bourbon which we was very pleased

The staff was incredibly pleasant and helpful.

We were disappointed with the view out our 14th story window but there isn’t much that can be done about that.

The staff was incredibly pleasant and helpful.

The bed was comfortable.

Didn’t like that i had to call for some clean towels and someone to come clean the room. We left that morning about 10 am and returned about 2 pm and still no one had been to the room

The bed was comfortable.

Great 2 day stay. Although they have no on site garage, valet parking was a reasonable $44 per day.

Thin walls. Noisy group of drunk girls in next room woke me up when they drag themselves in at 3 AM. But, it is New Orleans.

King size bed was great. Good pillows and nice comforter. Great shower.

Very nice place. Terrible check in.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

Got there at 1030 in morning and asked for early checkin they said they could probably do it and would let us know when the room was ready. We came baback at regular check in time. The room wasnt ready, It took over an hour to FIND a room for us while we stood in the lobby with a person in a wheelchair and one with a walker. I can understand if we couldnt check in early but we did everything to check in when we first got there and they said that we would just need to get the keys when the room was ready but that wasnt true. The room wasn't ready and they had no idea where we would be put. We had the reservations for months. This was the worst check in I have ever had in a hotel.

Great breakfast! Nice room.

Wonderful staff!
    • Queen Studio with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The elevators! Doors snapped at you, open close too fast. As people are walking in or out it closes. I helped an elderly man that was not fast enough and missed his floor.

Location was perfect. The front desk staff is absolutely amazing! This is to be a quick review not a book review. So when a person states what they like stop asking for a book report! Won't submit until LONG enough.

Exceeded expectations

My one and only complaint was that we were given a room with an ajoined room. The only issue with this was very late night when the people in the other room returned and got up early there was little sound barrier so it woke us up a few times. However I fully understand that the hotel has no control over how loud other guests are.

Location, staff, facilities, and even breakfast all exceeded expectations. My girlfriend and I were in town for a get away for the tail end of Marti gras and the following couple of days. The location of the hotel was great for all of the festivities and we also felt comfortable and safe with security checking wristbands to insure that only hotel guests and staff were permitted in.

I definitely will come back

Since we got there amazing experience valet ppl so nice room was bigger than what we thought very clean they came every day to clean complementary breakfast was good location excellent

It was clean, prime location, used armbands to make sure...

Cost of parking. $50 per day Mardi Gras weekend if hotel parked. $25 per day if you parked it yourself in same lot. Needless to say, that’s what we did. :)

It was clean, prime location, used armbands to make sure only those that belonged in hotel allowed in hotel during Mardi Gras. That was soooo nice! Great breakfast included with stay. Everything in walking distance and staff were all friendly and helpful.

We would stay here again.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast is six to ten a.m. We felt rushed getting down to dining room in time after a Friday night of Mardi Gras. Maybe run until 10:30 on weekends?

The bed was very comfortable so we got a good night's sleep. Large shower.

The room was clean and the bed very comfortable.

The room was clean and the bed very comfortable. Also, a big plus for me is that the room was very quiet (I couldn't hear any noise coming from the street), whereas colleagues staying in other hotels close to Bourbon street said it was very noisy at night.

I love Hampton Inns but this was the best one I ever stayed in.
    • King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

No vent fan in the bathroom. No pay per view. Wifi didn't work according to instructions. We consulted tech support, who gave us a promotion code, but they didn't know why log-in didn't work either.

Room was pleasant, a good size and really well laid out. Bathroom spacious. Perhaps most important about the bathroom: good shelf space for our toiletries.

Large room!
    • Queen Studio with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

wow! room was large. We had just come off a cruise so after being in a small cabin with 5 people, we very much enjoyed the space our room offered. Very accommodating. Location great! We walked to Bourbon Street and had a great time.

I enjoy the location of the place because it was not far...

Elevators were a tab bit scary because of continuous shaking. Breakfast didn’t meet my expectations.

I enjoy the location of the place because it was not far from bourbon street. And the room were comfortable.

Breakfast was excellent.

Check in was not good. We tried before 3 pm but since no rooms were ready we were able to store our luggage. Came back at 3pm but room was still not ready. Had to wait half an hour until it was ready, .

Breakfast was excellent. Beds were really comfortable.

I had a wonderful stay and will be back.
    • Queen Studio with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The elevators were confusing. Most not working and to sets of buttons. However, everything else made up for the elevator.

Everything. The place is awesome. Love the fragrance in the lobby. Please email me the scent.

Enjoyed our stay! Great location! Great staff!
    • King Studio

There was nothing we didn't like about the hotel.

Was less than a 5 min. Walk to the French Quarter. Couldn't hear toilets flushing, neighbors talking. Was great!

Good place to stay when visit New Orleans

Personal at front desk could be nicer, servicial and better attitude

Staff at breakfast buffet & Maid of our room very kind, good attitude. Good breakfast included. Great location, two blocks from french quarter and one for tranvia

Great location, great breakfast, otherwise a bit worn down

Bed was only mildly comfortable, since mattress was worn down. Room windows were directly facing a brick wall, felt at times like in jail. There was constant noise from the outside (I imagine due to AC), essentially 24/7.

Breakfast was surprisingly great for a US hotel, including fresh fruit, yoghurt, bagels, and even fresh waffles. Room was spacious with a big TV, a desk, and lots of free space. Bathroom seemed new. Location of the hotel is perfect!

I would return again

I traveled with my adult children and their significant others. The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful with all of our questions and needs. Rooms and beds were comfy and clean, we all slept well. Breakfasts were a wonderful way to start our days adventures the breakfast staff were all very attentive.

Great location to stay when visiting for a conference in New Orleans
    • Queen Studio with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The pull out couch in our room was more springs than anything else, but not very many people would be using it.

Samantha at the front desk was extraordinarily helpful with helping us divide out bill as required. She went above and beyond for the group of us.

Better hotels in the area

Several Maintenance Problems. Slow elevators. Poor staff at checkout. Misfitting door to adjoining room - noise. Staff in halls with loud radios

Big room. Great Location. Super Breakfast.

Browse Hampton Inn Downtown / French Quarter Area traveller photo gallery