Reviews of Hampton Inn Manhattan-Times Square North 3 stars

851 Eighth Avenue, Hell's Kitchen, New York, NY 10019, USA

#217 of 415 hotels in New York

Compared to the rooms and staff at the Hampton inn South where my friends were - I preferred their hotel. When we needed to check out there was no flexibility to accommodate us when we needed just one additional hour.

Small bathroom, especially the shower. Constant bombardment to join rewards program.

Clean quiet room with comfortable bed. Small bathroom. A decent morning breakfast. Lots of pressure to join their rewards program. Good WiFi. Not sure about price, seems expensive, but maybe not for New York. Good location.

• King Room with Sofa Bed

From the time we arrived parking was extremely convenient literately steps away from the hotel . We were greeted by a friendly staff member checking was a breeze. Room was spacious and clean . Location was incredible so close to everything restaurants and stores . A added bonus was the great breakfast. I can’t not say how much we enjoyed our night . It was just amazing .

Was woken up by the cleaning lady’s.... after NON. Stop knocking for about 20 mins if nobody answers the door after a couple of knocks what would that mean

I have no complaints. My experience was excellent!

Clean!!! Comfy! Polite and friendly staff, coffee, tea, hot chocolate available all day for guess no charge, your stay includes breakfast! ALL night diners are nearby plus othe eats

Elevators super busy in the morning. We have a member of our group in a wheelchair so this was a bit frustrating

Friendly staff. Staff went out of their way to get us a shower chair for a member of our group.

On arrival the desk clerks seemed to be joking around with each other....didn’t cause an issue just seemed a little unprofessional.

The complimentary breakfast exceeded expectations... The room cleaning staff were very attentive

Excellent location, rooms were larger than I was expecting in New York City, room was clean, bed was very comfortable and breakfast was very good. Overall a very good hotel.

• Queen Room

The room door makes a really loud noise when I shut it, so every time everyone staying near you shut the thier door, they make a noise and wake you up if you are in sleep

They keep your baggage even after you check out

Cramped quarters for breakfast and fairly mediocre food for the price of the hotel. Fresh food vs chemical tasting well preserved muffins is needed. The food is on the cheap. Coffee was excellent though!!

• Queen Room

You could hear hallway noises and from adjoining rooms.

I loved that the Hampton Brand is familiar to me but the check-in was quick, friendly and professional. I loved that it was in close proximity to the concert venue I was attending. A mere 7 minutes away. The best part was the parking right next door. So convenient for a woman traveling alone.

Noise isolation wasn't so good, we could hear people talking from the corridor and from the adjacent rooms

Great location, comfortable bed, nice and helpful staff

Staff took a while to come and fix coffee maker and took a while to bring in towels. Took about 3 calls and finally couple of staff came.

Bed and room was clean...and breakfast was great. Hope they won’t change in quality.

• Queen Room

Was such a busy street..

Comfortable and clean. A little bit pricey but worth it. The breakfast was phenomenal; exceeded my expectations. There was a lot of selections..

You could hear the guests talking in the next room like they were in your room. Unfortunately they were up until 2 am which did not allow us to sleep at all. The guests were not being innocuously loud they were just conversing and it sounded as if they were in our room. Could hear every word. Otherwise hotel was pretty good

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Bath Tub - Disability Access

I like to write a thank you note to the housekeeping staff & leave them a much-deserved tip. Perhaps it was an oversight, but there was no pen & paper in my room. Fortunately, I was able to write legibly on a Kleenex & left on the bathroom counter by the sink.

I made the choice because of the reputation Hampton Inn has made for itself. Good staff, excellent breakfast choices; cleanliness & this location was great for NYC. The staff was friendly, professional and very helpful.

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

In the lobby, we were approached several times by staff hoping to interest us in the welcome package. One women was initially friendly, but turned surly and sarcastic when we said we did not want to attend the meeting about options for Hilton stays. I understand she most likely works for commission, but we did not appreciate this encounter or the others to follow. We were approached several times by other staff who were persistent about this "offer" every time we entered or left the elevator bank.

The room was clean and the staff were friendly. The location was good for our trip which was a mix of personal and professional. Breakfast provided a choice of items; staff was helpful and friendly.

The bathroom was the smallest I’ve seen , uncomfortable pillows, breakfast room too small and the good was not the best I’ve seen

The staff was friendly, checkin and checkout uneventful. Perfect location , walking distance from time square and Central Park. Love the free bottles of water at check in

It would be nice to have a bigger bathroom or at least to have the sink and mirror outside the bath so more than one person could get ready at a time. It helped to have a mirror over the desk but it was pretty dark to apply make up there.

The beds were really comfy. There were lots of choices for breakfast. The valet, concierge, cleaning staff, front desk-everyone was friendly and very helpful. From helping us secure transportation to the airport, giving great sightseeing and restaurant tips and cleaning the room when it fit our schedule, it felt like five star hotel service! I also appreciated the coffee and tea in the lobby because it was so cold during our visit! The location was perfect- walking distance to everything we wanted to do.

• Queen Room

It was unclean. Breakfest was free, but there were so much lines to food that I chose not to eat there. and most importently- staff were terrible. When I ordered a taxi to the airport using the bellman help, the price begin at 45$, but only when it arrived he mentioned that if I want someone to travel with me there's additional fee of 10$, and if I want to pay at credit card there's another additional fee of 10$, and the bellman didn't allow me to cancel the taxi as he said he already ordered it especially for me. So, I took a taxi at 65$ before tip.

It was cheap and in the middle of the city, in a great location.

Noise - crowded all time - line for elevator- old fashion and poor maintenance - non interest at al un guest- breakfast was impossible to access 4 days for the quantity of people doing line to get a poor proposal

Room size is reazonable for nyc

Found someone elses hairs on my bathroom floor.

-Breakfast was GREAT!!! -I LOVED coffee and tea available 24hours!! -Location good. -Good fair price-Id recommend. -No hairs found on my clean towels 😂 -Im private, so I perfer no house keeping while Im there, but I do keep up with my own room- I was glad to see a big garbage can to drop off my garbage as I wanted.

• Queen Room

We couldn't find anything wrong. Our flight was cancelled due to the weather and we checked out not knowing that they had cancelled our flight. Got to the airport and had ro call back to the hotel and we were able to book again for an affordable price. Very grateful

This hotel is located between Central Park and Times Square just like the review stated. This hotel is in beautiful Manhattan. Everything is close by. The subways are all around you. This hotel will exceed your expectations. Hot fresh breakfast and i mean Fresh and Hot. Beautiful and very friendly staff. They go above and beyond to make you comfortable. This will be our stay next time we visit NYC

Staff is very rude, specially the concierge and the man in charge of carring the luggage (and calling cabs). Some of the employees keep talking about tips all the time witch is very uncomfortable. Rooms are clean and breakfast is good but the restaurant is too small for so many people. Location is also good but for sure I will not chose this place in my next trip.

Location; coffee for free available all day long.

• Queen Room

Extremely poor sound proofing rooms, hence causing disturbance of people closing doors/talking. The room didn’t meet the expectations (the photos provided while booking were different)

• Queen Room

Need to choose your time to go to Breakfast. Gets very busy about 8.30-8.45 so go about 8.00 or earlier to avoid the crowds.

Excellent complementary breakfast with a good variety each day. Free Tea and coffee all day.

• King Room with Sofa Bed

Very thin walls. We could hear everything from next rooms or from the hallway.

The Breakfast was good but the room for it could have been litlle bit bigger.. it was always overcrovded with people. Nice room with comfortable beds. Free cofee and tea all day.

• Queen Room

The location of the hotel was great in walkable distance from lots of the attractions but on the edge of the hustle and bustle of time square and Broadway. The facilities were excellent providing a great daily breakfast with a variety of choices including daily hot (omelette, bacon, sausages, scrambled eggs), make your own waffles with toppings and the usual (cereals, fruit, bread and yoghurts). The staff at reception were very helpful and knowledgeable. Would we stay in this hotel again? Definitely!

Great location. Clean. Friendly. Feels safe. Location is close enough to tourist attractions but you don't feel attacked when you leave the hotel because everyone around there seemed pretty chill (not like walking in times square where everyone grabs at you) Loved that we could check our bags with the bell hop after we checked out since we had a later flight.. the first bell hop was super courteous and friendly. The man we picked ours bags up from refused to say a word to use until we tipped him. It was just a bit awkward. And it seems odd that I can check my bag in with someone but they don't get the tip, the guy who gives you the bags does.

Dining room crowded at times. Street outside can be noisy early mornings - we stayed on 11th (top) floor. Not really a problem, though.

Big room, comfy bed. Friendly, helpful staff. Good breakfast buffet. Fruit, coffee, tea, cocoa available 24/7. Easy check-in/ut. Water heater, iron and board in room. Location very good - close to 9th with restaurants and bars, to GTimes Sq, theatres, Lincoln centre etc. Very easy access to subway E to JFK airport.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

the only thing, I can complain about parking. The hotel charge me for parking and the parking company charge one more time. When I ask the reason, nobudy explain me why

• King Room with Sofa Bed

The staff was attentive and helpful; rooms large for Manhattan. The beds are a little soft, but comfortable. They could use some new carpeting, but for the price, I will keep the carpeting as is!

Everything about this hotel was great value for money. The location is excellent just a few blocks walk from times square and the subway was easy to us. But the thing that makes this hotel is the breakfast and the hot drink facilitates which was great especially in the winter and the staff was very attentive too.

• Queen Room

The walls were super thin. There was a key making problem when I checked in. The shower temperature fluctuated wildly between cold and scalding. And when I was booking my reservation we had problems and booking.com and Hampton played me off each other, till I finally got booking.com to offer a solution to Hampton and they got them to agree. I’m never ever using booking.com again and I probably won’t stay at a Hampton again.

We were in 1121, close to elevator, did not get much due to that. Also, it seem like there was construction on the roof, and so there was constant knocking and drilling sound. Other than that , good visit.

Fruits and coffee all day !!!

The queues for breakfast in the morning is ridiculous no matter what time you come down at it was packed and a queue going out into the lobby, both mornings we had to go somewhere else for our breakfast because of the wait in the hotel

Location and the lovely comfy beds!!

Plastic cutlery and cardboard plates. Sometimes the breakfast room was too crowded and there wasn't any available place to sit.

The rooms were comfortable and spacious, and the food was really nice.

The pillows were too soft almost flat I would stay there again but if possible bring my own pillow or hopefully they will have new ones

Everything was awesome staff extremely helpful & nice

• Queen Room

The breakfast was included and crowded at 7.30am, however this was less busy after 8.30am. I would have liked some milk for coffee in the room.

Rooms were comfortable. The hotel was central to the areas I wanted to visit and the staff were helpful.

Good breakfast but no very ecofriendly. They use too much plastic things.

Pretty near Central Park and Brodway. We got a great room with view from the 11th floor.

• Queen Room

Housekeeping was slow to respond to my requests. Breakfast was decent but way too crowded and messy.

Good service and conditions at a reasonable price. The staff was friendly.

Room was a little small for 4 people. Never had breakfast because it was too crowded. Long line outside the breakfast area each morning we were there.

Location was great for the area we wanted to be in.

Great location and handy for access to hop on off buses. Just off Time Square and the theatre district so very easy to get your bearings and find everything you needed. The hotel was clean and comfortable. The maid was in making the beds everyday. The staff were helpful and friendly. Breakfast was set up well with a good choice of cereals and fruit and a hot choice like omelette or scrambled eggs. All you needed to get you going for the day. They also had free cofee and hot choocolate all day which was great when you got home from a mobg day walking about. I would definitely go back to this hotel again.

No makeup mirror in room. Housekeeping did not respond to my request.

Excellent location. Excellent reception and concierge staff. Good breakfast with several hot and cold selections.

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

From the moment we walked into the hotel the staff made us feel welcome. The rooms were comfortable, clean and quite large compared to other hotels I have stayed in. The location can't be beat!! It was near all the Broadway plays we were attending and far enough away from Times Square that we did not have to be part of the crowds and noise. It was next to Hells Kitchen so we had plenty of dining options and nightlife with in walking distance. This was our second good experience in this hotel and not our last.

The only thing I can think of was we didn't know there were waffles for breakfast... they were in the other room on the back side of a wall... No big deal... everything else was great!

The staff was so friendly and very helpful!! The room was very clean and comfortable!

• Queen Room

The hotel inside is dirty old fashioned my sheets had long hair I had to take it out I request a one bed in booking for me and my husband and they gave me a two bed the floor that I stay it was extremely dirty even the elevators and stinky my floor someone was smoking pot I don’t know how. Simple never go back

The staff and location

No refrigerator/microwave in the room: but it was OK because the breakfast was included. Wifi service was not free (4.9 usd/day). The parking information at the booking.com was not clearly described, and it was not free.

Breakdast is included and the quality was also good. Coffee and hot water in the lobby. Excellent location. Exellent price in off season.

The bill was not what Booking. com had give us...and I'm still trying to sort out this issue. It may not be Hampton's fault, but nevertheless, if I cannot resolve it it will color my choosing a Hampton again.

Greeting from front desk when we arrived and the coffee table in the lobby.

No copy of bill offered. There were lots of workers in the lobby standing around. Bell hop was very busy and no one jumped in to help guests who had to wait. Could hear everything in room - next door hangars sliding on closet rail, lots of tapping/hammering - not sure if there were repairs being made in a room somewhere close, but it was annoying.

decent room, small bathroom, plenty of room in breakfast area. Front desk was nice. Short walk to theaters, Radio City Music Hall.

Everything was great

I loved everything from the time we arrived up to the day we left. I did not want to leave. The staff is nice, the room was comfy and cozy and the location is perfect. The area is not too close to the noisy hustle and bustle of Times Square, but close enough that you can walk a short distance to enjoy. I will definitely stay here again when I visit Manhattan.

• Queen Room

Bed, to me, was hard as a rock. Just my opinion though. Could you please add raisins to the breakfast for oatmeal?

Apples, snacks and coffee/hot chocolate available anytime in lobby. Breakfast was great! Was a wonderful stay overall!

• King Room with Sofa Bed

The beds were not comfortable and the sofa bed was very bumpy. The room was at a constant 72 degrees and that’s a bit too warm for me.

Excellent location and breakfast included.

Hotel was showing its age in the halls and bathrooms, the view from our room was of a parking garage

Breakfast buffet was plentiful and good, staff was helpful and friendly . Hotel was located away from the Times Square action, but was within walking distance to everything , beds had lots of comfy pillows

Tiny room with the bed right next to the door. It was hard to even get the luggage in the room. It was directly across from the elevator and stairs. Bathroom was freezing cold, even with the heat on. Breakfast was basic but adequate.

• Queen Room

Clean place, free internet in the lobby, free coffee in the lobby, the stuff are very polite and helpful. The location is very good it's near Broadway Street

• Queen Room

Hotel staff knows very little about the surrounding area. We were out all day Sunday sightseeing and went to a show that evening. When we returned to our room at 11pm we were locked out of our room. Someone was apparently smoking and someone complained. They went into our room while we were out saw a candle and assumed it was us. They locked us out and told us we had to pay a smoking fee to stay!! When we refused to pay a fee for something we were not even there to do they said we had to leave!! They had no business going into our room and to be told to leave in the middle of the night for something someone else did was beyond ridiculous. Needless to say our trip was ruined, we had to drive back to Maryland, because where are you going to find a hotel in the middle of the night in New York?? The night manager was the nastiest person I have dealt with in a long time.

Very close to Broadway and Times Square, which is what we were there for.

they use paper and plastic material for breakfast, hugely un eco-friendly; the breakfast area is like a crowded starbucks. internal decor also a bit dated. black cab to Newark airport US$95!

Free flow of coffee and tea at the lobby, spacious room and bed, comfortable chair, good variety of breakfast choices, subway station right at the corner, supermarket, convenience store and many eateries nearby; a small souvenir shop in the lobby; walking distance to most broadway theatres and the central park. I spilled coffee on the bed and the sheet and blanket are swiftly changed (with a little tipping of course)

• King Room with Sofa Bed

The hotel clerk was not courteous and didn't treat me like a guest of the hotel. I had a problem with the room key. It would not work in the door for the room on the 3rd floor. When I brought it to the attention of the clerk and requested another room. He suggested I stand by to see if they could fix it. My response was to request another room and he stated no other ones were available. I suggested I would wait until one was available and go out for lunch until another became available.

The free breakfast was great. The concierge was very helpful and knowledgeable. The hotel is in prime location with access to everything.

I can't really think of anything. I always love staying at Hampton Inns and this one was no exception. :)

The staff was very friendly and helpful. We loved that coffee/tea/cocoa were available all day especially since it was cold and windy during our stay. The bell hop was very helpful in arranging airport transportation for us. The afternoon cookies were a nice touch (although we missed the day there was chocolate chip!)

Buffet breakfast having plastic plates / cutlery and long queues with overcrowded eating area. More like school dinner hall than a hotel breakfast.

Location, comfy bed, great concierge

• King Room with Sofa Bed

The only issue is that some rooms are in need of revamping. Old carpets and furniture make you think you can see the phantom of the opera without the need to walk to the theater. Plus these rooms smell like the four legged guests that probably slept there before you arrived. The great news is that staff kindly changed me to a less decrepit room on a different floor. Vive la difference !

Staff is excellent. The hotel needs some room revamping but all their staff make up for hotel shortcomings.

We didnt get tea or hot choc in our room only coffee no milk or sugar and when the waiter brought us some he only brought coffee too even though we had asked at reception for tea and he said we would have to get the tea from downstairs!!! There should have been an information sheet in our room explaining how we rang to reception and how to work the hot water machine.

The bed was really comfy and the breakfast was lovely.The location was perfect.

Breakfast is ok but no more. Staff can answer question but not much. TV channels are most of the time erratic.

This hotel is really near the heart of manhattan and that's a huge plus. Room was clean and bed ok (even though too soft for me).

I thought the price was a bit high, considering the size of the room....and it was a little dated compared to what I would have expected for a hampton inn

The locations was perfect and the breakfast was nice to have in the morning.

Little storage space - I.e drawers, tub water pooled and went down very slow, breakfast was adequate at best - powdered eggs or omelettes, little meat, crowded, dirty tables, and waffle bar was lacking supplies and often overcrowded for the space.

Great location to Times Square, Central Park, and other NYC attractions.

Decor was a bit shabby.

Location and size of rooms were excellent. Comfortable beds. Coffee available at all times. Helpful staff and a good breakfast.

Just the breakfast. Bed was comfortable.

The eggs were cold and watery. The sausage was in the warmer to long. We went to a different place for breakfast. The cookies in the lobby were a nice touch!

Lack of restaurant and bar in the hotel. Could not seem to control the a/c.

Convenient location. Acceptable breakfast. Coffee availability -- coffee maker in the room, coffee in the lobby. Nice size room. Pleasant staff. Close to a reasonable room rate, for NYC.

Hotel and rooms dingy and in need of re decoration. Breakfast selection poor, pre made boxed omlettes and not enough space for the number of people staying in hotel. Dozens of people queuing each morning and not enough seating We stayed on the second floor and could clearly hear the subway which ran under the hotel, but that didn't disturb our sleep. The front of the hotel is covered by scaffolding.

The location was excellent and the beds very comfortable

that I didn't receive my 200 off the 4 day stay from my Hilton honors points, otherwise I like everything

the staff were excellent and the housekeeping was excellent as well as the food, the everything about this place, location and continued support when needed was welcomed

Only negative was we could hear conversations from adjoining rooms.

Breakfast was very good . . .varied menu, please t stsff always working to keep the items fresh. Registration was very welcoming and doormen who took care of luggage when we arrived and when we left were efficient and helpful. That allowed us to see some of the city before and after our check-in and check out. Rooms were very attractive and clean,and serviced with plenty of clean ( and thick!) Towels. Also, LOVED the location - near Times Square,the theatre district, and subway stations.

Crowded breakfast area-queuing,

Bedroom size; anytime lobby coffee and flavoured creamers; View from room onto 8th Avenue; proximity to subway, helpful front desk staff

Upon entering our room, before even unloading one bag, we saw a very large, dead, cockroach laying on the middle of the floor. After almost having a heart attack, we show the bellhop before we even unload one bag. He immediately starts to apologize and runs into the bathroom to get a tissue to pick it up. He then asks us if we would like a different room. Of course we say yes (would have, at that point, preferred a different hotel). As we are leaving the room my husband notices a brown stain in the center of the white comforter on one of the beds. He took pictures of both the roach and the stain. When we got to the new room, at first glance it looked clean, however, looking around thoroughly for evidence of more bugs, we found candy wrappers under the dust ruffle of the beds and stains on the bottom of the white comforter on one of the beds. The bellhop and my husband told the front desk about the issue. While they offered their apologies, that was as far as it went. Also, on the day we were leaving, it took almost an hour for our vehicle to come down from parking.

The Bellhop was great! Very helpful and accommodating.

• Queen Room

A nice well run property in central Manhattan. Complimentary breakfast was basic but just fine. Room comfortable. Staff friendly and accommodating. Rate reasonable by expensive NYC standards.