Reviews of Hampton Inn Memphis - Poplar 2 stars

5320 Poplar Avenue, Memphis, TN 38119, USA

#34 of 88 hotels in Memphis

Great location, room was super clean, staff was very...
    • One Queen Accessible Tub Non-Smoking

Mattress firmness was somewhere between “very firm” and “slab of concrete”

Great location, room was super clean, staff was very friendly. Great selection at the free breakfast.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Terrible experience.
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

1st night found dirty sheets in the sofa bed I requested 2 beds and none available . 2nd night was covered in ants all over desk, TV stand and our food ! Had to move all our things to another room. 1st night drove up to check in and a great big party was going on at the pool people screaming, yelling bunch of drunks. My grandson wanted to swim and I couldn't allow him to be out there. We were in town visiting our grandson who has leukemia and at st.judes.

The bed.

I liked the location and it was comfortable.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

I didn’t like being locked out of my room, it was late night and my wife and I were tired. We didn’t have access to any of our belongings, prior to that the housecleaning didn’t clean the room from the night before. With all that happened I did expect some sort of compensation. We didn’t get any at all.

I liked the location and it was comfortable.

Should not be called by Hilton as the expectation is high...
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Grumpy service on check in

Should not be called by Hilton as the expectation is high but the reality is low. Lifts often didn’t work, night shift check in really grumpy, so service a let down. Also pricey for the reality.

Small room, great choice
    • One Queen Accessible Tub Non-Smoking

This hotel is not close to anything BUT it's perfect distance to everything. Great rate and good breakfast. The staff very nice and friendly. There are many shops around (Starbucks walking distance) and it's a brand new hotel or at least it looks like new. Great clean bathroom. The room itself is tiny but we didn't need any bigger for one night. The rate is perfect and if you go to Graceland it's not more than a 8 minutes drive. Very very clean, I would go back.

Convenient location
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Room was not cleaned at all or day ---no fresh towels or bed made. Too many hot breakfast dishes with peppers! Closet too narrow and shallow.

Staff was friendly.

See above
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

I did notice the nightlight in the bathroom didn’t work, the plugin on the desk didn’t work, I used the one on the wall.

Breakfast was great, staff very helpful and friendly. Beds were comfortable, we slept well because it was quiet. Loved the cookies and flavored water in the evening. Rooms were set up well and were comfortable. I would definitely choose a Hampton for our next vacation.

Nice property but management issues.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The room was pretty small. Staff seemed disorganized. Check in was hard bc their key system was not working. Go put into the wrong room and had to move. Then in the second night, the front desk gave a key to our room to a woman and she entered our room at 2:30 am! Quite a shock! To their credit, the hotel did comp our room for the second night and they also gave us $30 for dinner. Nice place. Nice people. A lot of things just went wrong.

The coffee was good and the shower water pressure was strong.

Decent clean room and friendly staff but disappointing experience with hotel facilities.
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

We came there with our kids expecting to swim in the pool but then found out upon arrival it was closed for the season. They really should put that in the facilities description if a pool is seasonal or not. It was a big disappointment.

Newly remodeled advert clean.
    • King Study Room - Non-Smoking

Room wth king bed is small. Shower door is new but either not installed correctly, or not adjusted properly, will not stay shut when showering.

Newly remodeled advert clean.

The room was beautiful, the breakfast was lousy.
    • King Study Room - Non-Smoking

The tv kept shutting itself offf. When we went to breakfast halfway through servic, there was hardly anything available.

The room was beautiful and the bed was very comfortable. The facilities were clean and the staff friendly.

I would not recommend this property in its current state.

If I would have know that they were doing renovation I would have booked at another hotel. We also had to get another set of sheets because the sheets on the bed were dirty. The amount of noise I could hear from other rooms was rather surprising. I expected much better from the Hampton chain of hotels.

The breakfast was nice and filling.

Facilities needs to be improved

This Hotel is currently going under renovation and such the lobbys/elevators were not clean at all. The carpet in the room were wet with some sticky ness not sure why.

Breakfast buffet was good. Location is excellent

My television did not work;

My television did not work; the maintenance staff had to replace it twice for us to have a working television. Seemed a bit cramped from the lobby through the hallway and the rooms. Elevators not convenient to lobby.

Less than expected. Would not book there again.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Lack of security. Anybody was able to walk in and out and the front door was never locked and there was only one staff person on duty at night. Our room was not what we booked. I booked a room with two queen beds and was given a kind without a pullout. Offered another room but that smelled moldy and damp (it was on the first floor by the pool) again didn't feel secure. Bathroom shower door broken and workout room hot without air conditioning.

The staff was excellent, courtesy, kind, friendly. The breakfast was high quality. The bed was comfortable and clean towels and sheets.

It was extremely noisy because of traffic, trains, etc and...

It was extremely noisy because of traffic, trains, etc and the bed was uncomfortable. There was a pair of earplugs to use on the table so the hotel knew it was loud. The ear plugs don’t help. My husband could not sleep at all. The hotel plans to renovate to make it more sound proof but hasn’t yet. We discussed with the person on stAff at the hotel and he said he would give us a refund but since we booked it on booking.com he couldn’t. This was a Hampton and I’ve always had a good experience with Hamptons except for this one. I am asking for a refund through booking.com. I cannot believe that I paid 130 for a night of no sleep. We almost packed up in the middle of the night to go home but had plans that morning.

I will not lodge at the Hampton Inn again.

I had to request the sheets to be changed due to spots on the sheets and pillow cases. The towels did not appear to be clean, they were dingy. The rooms are not updated like the other hotels. They still have shower curtains instead of the glass door like other Hampton Inns. Also, their wasn't a refrigerator in the room. The front desk stays in the back office a lot, I had to call out to get someone's attention. The breakfast area is small with limited options for vegetarians. Finally, they did not have copies of the local newspaper.

The hotel is in a great location.

Once we got past the bed situation everything was excellent
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

It was hard for the front desk staff to accommodate us when my sister was unhappy with the beds in the rooms I booked online

Location was perfect for us getting to and from where we needed to go on time

We can't wait to book a room again. My Honey and I thanks the staff for a wonderful stay.

Every thing was wonderful. I wouldn't change anything.

The Hamilton Inn over night staff was very much better than the Hilton in Poplar Ave Memphis.We Enjoyed the Wonderful atmosphere.

Pillows and bed linens good.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast set up poorly; sausage awful. Egg dish awful. Area was congested and there was ZERO flow through the breakfast food line.

Pillows and bed linens good. Quiet.

Would visit again!
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Location seemed "maybe unsafe", but they did have fences and gates that locked at a certain time. Also the front door locked from 10pm-7am.

The breakfast was great-alot to offer included in price Room was clean, smelled well

Stay Here! You won't regret it!
    • Two Double Beds Smoking

Nothing bad to say! Seriously!

Best hotel. Friendliest staff ever! From the front desk to the maintenance and housekeeping, everyone had a smile on their face and greeted us in the hallways. The rooms were very comfortable!! And clean!! Breakfast was awesome...a lot of variety, lots of room to sit and visit with other guests. The pool war kept clean and our whole family loved spending time in it.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

Hotel did not match criteria entered; hotel staff were unhelpful and sometimes rude
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Our reservation for 5 in a (2) full size bed room was accepted (it even asked ages for our 3 teenage children) so we assumed there would be a couch, cot, or roll-away bed. When we arrived, we were told none of those things were an option; nor would they allow us to use a second adjoining room (unless we wanted to pay for it) so we had one family member that slept on the dirty floor. The hotel wasn't even booked up - more than half the parking lot was empty. The hotel wasn't interested in remedying the problem - just offered us some extra points because I am a Hilton Rewards member...wow...that doesn't make the one of us that had to sleep on the dirty hotel floor feel any better. The next morning, the very rude desk clerk said that I would not get any points because it didn't show on her screen that I was a member. We won't stay at another hotel in the Hilton line again and are very hesitant to use Booking.com again if hotel searches don't match the criteria we entered. This was either a failure on the part of Booking.com to match criteria correctly; or a blatant scam by the hotel to intentionally falsify facility accommodations in order to obtain a no cancellation reservation knowing that we would be unlikely to go anywhere else since our arrival time was 10pm

Small room but GREAT rooms and Staff
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The treadmill did not work and when staying away from home I always make sure the hotel has exercise equipment, breakfast, and cleanliness. I did not get my morning workout.

The breakfast and hospitality of the staff was excellent. Only thing was my girls were going down to get something from the vehicle and I hear the security say, "you kids not making noise in my halls are ya!" They were a little frightened but overall great stay.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

Room was lovely, clean, great linens, sweet, helpful staff.
    • King Room - Smoking

Refrigerator in the room would have been Nic. The air conditioner was very noisy. I applaud the inclusion of ear plugs in the room, but did not see them until the next morning, so I slept very poorly.

Room was lovely, clean, great linens, sweet, helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

Okay.....

Bed was uncomfortable and we needed more pillows. Usually kings have 6. Thought the place was do for some renovations. Spruced up a bit. Fresh paint. There wasn't any place up off the floor to put our luggage,( which is Vera Bradley and doesn't get put on floors) other than the chair.

It was clean and well kept.
    • King Study Room - Non-Smoking

Room was small, but very clean.

It was clean and well kept. Everyone was very friendly.

Enjoyable.

The train.

Convenience to downtown .

Friendly Staff
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Just a little over priced

Friendly Staff

Great staff

Ants

Clean

Awesome lodging at a great price.
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Nailed every detail. Keep it up.

Everything was great. Great value.

I would definitely stay there again
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The breakfast was really nice.

Very nice hotel, staff and breakfast

Pool was not open

Good
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The toilet was stomp up.

Everything was good food, and the bed was comfortable.

This was the best stay so far. Wish I could have stayed longer.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Everything from great customer service to beautiful accommodations.

Cleanest very luxury and homie like
    • One Queen Mobility / Hearing Accessible Roll in Shower Non-Shower

Nothing I like everything

Cleanest very luxury and homie like

Played rap music in the lobby and the air conditioner was...

Played rap music in the lobby and the air conditioner was not working in the lobby. It was 85-90 degrees outside and the lobby was miserable.

Prices a little too high

Prices a little too high

The room was comfortable in a quiet location
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

We got new towels but our room was not cleaned daily

The continental breakfast was delicious and it changed daily

My stay was pleasant.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The bed was nice and clean.

Wonderful place for a girls weekend.

Parking a little sparse.

The beds were very comfortable. The egg bagels were yummy. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Perfect
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Very clean hotel. Friendly staff and very helpful.

The breakfast spread was fantastic!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The breakfast spread was fantastic! Very friendly staff, and one of the cleanest hotel room I’ve ever stayed in. Defiantly would recommend

It was great
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

We should be able to pay for a room with cash.

The stay was awesome. And very welcoming. Would definitely book again. Thanks!

It was ok.

Lack of personnel at night.

Room

Excited

Its was neat

Family trip

I like the area

It was a clean property.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

I think I would of checked the neighbor hood out a little more.

It was a clean property. The staff was very friendly.

Awesome Stay

Great spot to stay

Fair stay. Not the best, but not the worst.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

There’s a train track nearby! Train ran through blowing the whistle. 1st floor under construction. 4th floor had an odor.

In the process of renovating

In the process of renovating

Served the purpose.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Under renovation did not know that. Over priced; considering the hotel was under renovation.

The breakfast

St. Jude Marathon weekend

Quiet and well managed

I liked everything about my stay!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

I more decaf coffee in my room than regular but that was quickly fixed by staff.

I liked everything about my stay!

• King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Finding pubic hair, crumbs, and dried blood in our bed before we even got into bed.

Comfortable, courteous and clean facilities is how I would sum up my stay. Will stay here again.

Nothing, all OK

Proximity to interstate, restaurants, gas stations

Very pleasant, confortable stay & I will be back!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Comfortable bed, friendly staff AND clients, location was perfect for us!

would stay again if in area, good value

bathroom plumbing needed help

friendly staff

Easy to find
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Room was in the corner on the third floor

Easy to find

Not going back
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Dirty room, muggy rooms, beds were old and uncomfortable. I would have rather slept on the floor. But that was nasty down there.

Nice neighborhood

Air conditioner didn't work when we arrived.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Air conditioner didn't work when we arrived. Some receptacles did not work.

Okay. Again, would have been nice to have known the pool was out of service.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Pool was closed for repairs. Probably would have found another hotel had this been published.

Nice clean room for the money.

It was a good hotel. Great breakfast.

Carpets were sticky chair needed reupholstered or steam cleaned.

Clean modern room. Staff was friendly maid service was good.

My stay was pleasant and wonderful!

I can't think of anything that was bad!

The service was great! The breakfast was good!!

Very nice
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The food was really good

Comfortable, safe, and convenient!

There was no bath tub, just a shower.

Bed was very comfortable.comfo

The mattress

Everything was good

The mattress

Nice Stay

Housekeepers were not good

Comfortable

Very small ironing board and a terrible iron.
    • One Queen Accessible Tub Non-Smoking

Very small ironing board and a terrible iron.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Kids loved the pool!
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Kids loved the pool! Good breakfast.

Solid hotel
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

It was clean and the location is great. Staff was very friendly.

Overall the hotel was cozy and made us feel welcomed
    • King Study with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

We could have had better house keeping for the room

Clean and friendly staff

Want a at home feeling come stay down at The Hampton Inn on Popular.

Maybe a microwave or a refrigerator in the room.

The at home feeling was great.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

• King Room - Smoking

No refrigerator or microwave in the room.

GREAT ROOM