Reviews of Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University Center 3 stars

3315 Hamlet Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA

#33 of 62 hotels in Pittsburgh

We frequently use Hampton Inn - we used in Roanoke a week earlier and it was great. Not here!

One of our beds had a stained fitted sheet. GROSS! When we called for new sheets, we had to go down and get them ourselves. When we showed front desk picture of stained sheet she said, "it looks like the sheets had been washed but were stained. Housekeeping shouldn't have used." Morning staff overseeing breakfast were curt

Was fine,
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

paying for parking was a bummer, but what can you do. The construction across the street and road noise were noticeable

Room was clean, bed a lil soft. Staff was friendly, breakfast was fine.

Lady at desk was very nice when we signed in.
    • King Deluxe Room - Non-Smoking

Our tv did not work. Called the manager who said she would come to our room in ten minutes. She did not come to our room for 35 minutes. She, who was the desk lady, said she was late because she was the only employee there. Shame on Hampton inn!!!!!! Not only was it too much for one to take care of, but it is not safe for one person to be left alone.

Lady at desk was very nice when we signed in.

Nice place to stay
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Was in a good location and they had a shuttle that took you pretty much everywhere you wanted to go, The shuttle drivers were very friendly. Tracy was awesome. Rick was also good. We only had one little issue with house keeping and they took care of it at the hotel. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Nice comfortable stay!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Pay parking. I did not know that the parking is not free or I did not read the information when I book

The staff at the front office was friendly and very jolly. The bed is good and comfortable. I love their pillows, they are so comfy. I like the choices of breakfast everyday. We only stayed for 2 nights, but I noticed that the breakfast was different from the other day, so it is good.

Nice stay.
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

I would only like to recommend that a fruit salad could be added to the breakfast buffet. Apples were the only fruit choice (not a bad thing). Maybe that was all that was available that day.

Everything was very good, as expected. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I would like to comment on the shuttle driver Rick. He was exceptionally helpful helping us with directions to PNC Park and with his recommendations for restaurants. Very pleasant person.

Used to be cleaner
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Place has gone downhill from previous visits. Not as clean as it used to be. Van was really dirty inside. In my room the air vent in the bathroom was filthy.

Staff was great as always.

An excellent option. We will definitely stay there again.

The fitness room was on the small side. It also would be nice if the hotel had a small bar.

The shuttle service was amazing and so convenient. We were offered service even when the shuttle had stopped running. It is an excellent addition to staying at this hotel. The staff is super friendly and go out of their way to ensure guests are accommodated. The location is spot on - close to colleges and great restaurants.

Great place to stay Great breakfast buffet

Paint peeling on ceiling of shower.

Beds comfortable and very clean. Staff wonderful and very helpful. Shuttle driver great. Have always been happy with Hampton hotels.

Could do better if on a college visit

Did not like the location, the area around the hotel did not look save. We were there for a college visit and noted closer hotels in more pleasant area for similar price.

The hotel was clean, the room was comfortable and the breakfast was fine. Also liked that it was not valet parking.

Would never go back
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Greeted at desk around 3 room not ready, room was not what I requested. Picture showed doesn’t even come close to what it looks like ,much worse. Front desk expience was eh at best, some reps were ok, the others were horribl. Some dressed professionally others not even close. Was soooooo disappointed, we got up extra early to leave as soon as possible, and tried to get coffee to go cream curdle in my coffe, threw that out, and breakfast did not look appetizing at all.

Rooms are good, service needs to be improved.
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

when we first get room 709, the key card did not work. I sent my daughter to negotiate, she came back with a new room key to 708, we open the door to room 708, but when we check the closet, we found something in it. It is not cleaned by the room service. My daughter went down to the front again, then we moved to room 715, finally, we stayed in 715.

big rooms, new facilities.

Everything except the inability to control the room...
    • Queen Room - Disability Access with Tub

I was not able to maintain a fixed temperature in my room. I was up through the night to adjust the thermostat. My mother and sister had the same problem in their rooms.

Everything except the inability to control the room temperature. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. The rooms were quite clean and the staff were kind, courteous and helpful. The variety of foods for breakfast was quite nice, as well.

Highly recommend choosing the Hampton
    • King Deluxe Room - Non-Smoking

Would have been nice if the vending machine had bottled water.

Very clean. The staff were great and very accommodating. Would definitely recommend the Hampton Inn.

We came to Pittsburgh to catch a couple of hockey games. We absolutely enjoyed our stay.

Paying for parking. $15/day seemed excessive.

Clean, comfortable and great location. The staff was friendly and helpful and the continental breakfast was nice. We really enjoyed our stay. The free hotel shuttle is a nice touch.

I will definitely stay again.
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The room was very clean. The view was beautiful from my room. At checkin- the staff asked us if we were going to the football game. We said yes. She gave us the whole detail on how they provide us a shuttle and where to go and how to get picked up. We didn’t even know there was a shuttle. She anticipated our needs and I LOVED it! The shuttle staff was great as well!

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Staff and facilities were top notch! Will definitely stay here again if in the area.

Parking lot spaces was a little tight, especially for trucks

variety for continental breakfast each day, beds and pillows were very comfortable, water pressure in shower was awesome, room was very quiet and nice view of christmas lights across parking lot.

Great value
    • King Deluxe Room - Non-Smoking

Very few amenities. We asked for some wine glasses and all we could get was paper coffee cups.

Clean and convenient. Room decor was nice. Staff was friendly and helpful. A short drive to the Southside Flats.

I felt room rate was over priced for Pitt family weekend. Awesome Team! Sam, Rick, Tracy and Della.

Breakfast good, but breakfast area is very small. Della works so hard to replenish food/coffee and keep the place very clean. She's very friendly, excellent customer service.

Great service. Bed very comfortable, room very clean and convenient hotel shuttle within 3 miles of the area. The driver, Rick is very kind and easy to talk to, like family. Great asset to HH.

When I arrived the hotel and they told me that they...

When I arrived the hotel and they told me that they don't have my booking information. I just kept waiting and dialing your service number for an hour. And they rebooked a room for me and charge me more.

Very good value for money.

There wasn't a lock on the bathroom door.

Very good choice at breakfast. Room was very clean. The staff are friendly. The shuttle service into the city that was provided. Teas and coffee were available all of the time. One of our party lost their glasses in a taxi. The manager called the taxi company and the glasses were found.

Overall, our stay went well.
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

We wish that we would've known about the parking fees ahead of time charged by the hotel...was this a hidden fee?

Staff were friendly, breakfast was good, and the shuttle service was nice.

Great stay overall good experience.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The hotel does offer parking but it's 15 dollars a day.

The room, the location was in a nice location in relation to everything but it was kind of a rough area.

Overall was a great place, was just surprised the toilet was not very clean
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The toilet was not cleaned very good or it was stained!!!! The room was overall clean looking, but not good as I was expecting...

The staff was very kind and helpful, and the breakfast was good...

Great choice for Steelers fans
    • King Room with Roll In Shower - Non-Smoking

The bed wasn't that comfortable, and the rooms could have been a little cleaner.

They had a free shuttle TO AND FROM the subway station to get to the Steelers Game!!!!

The breakfast was really good.

The breakfast was really good. The free shuttle they have for the area was a very good extra and Rick one of the drivers was the best and very helpful. The hotel is very accesible through the airport shuttle or the public bus from the airport 280 A. Room clean and comfortable. We would stay here again.

Loved the free shuttle service available.

Breakfast overall didn't taste that great. Rooms were fairly small compared to other hotels I've stayed at.

Loved the free shuttle service available.

• King Deluxe Room - Non-Smoking

The staff were not helpful and mostly unavailable. The family bathroom had rolls of toilet paper in it. When I went to get something out of my car after 11, the door was locked and I had to wait about 10 minutes before a hotel guest appeared to let me in, and another couple who had just arrived.

Positives neutralized the negatives....was a good stay.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The location and neighborhood nearby, and view from the window were not pleasant at all...although it was very easy to access the highway!

The shuttle service was handy, the continental breakfast was quite nice, and the staff was helpful. Having the coffee, tea, and water throughout the day was nice. Was a very comfortable stay.

Not happy with front desk lady and rate question.
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

No itemized receipt Had to be moved due to broken thermostat Difference of room rate so I couldn't tell without itemization why we were charged more than booking.com said we would be charged

Pleased with some of my stay, but not all of it.

I was charged, after checkout, two extra fees for what they term incidentals. Was not aware of this until I double checked my account online.

Breakfast was decent.

Loved breakfast and shuttle service

Couldnt shower because water was rusty looking in toilet, sink, and tub and my daughter had a college visit that day.

Loved breakfast and shuttle service

Above and beyond!

The hotel looked recently updated and was modern. The kind staff provided sheets and pillow for our air bed. We left a charger and they called us to tell us! Plus they will just use our credit card for postage and will mail it back to us. Very nice!

Good location for campus visits!

The parking situation is doable but not ideal. Parking lot can get crowded and isn't the best for larger vehicles. That being said, we ended up with a fairly large rental SUV and were still able to park it with only a little extra effort, so not a deal breaker.

The front desk staff were amazing! Always very friendly and helpful, particularly Tracy. The location was very good for our college tour of University of Pittsburgh. We walked there and to restaurants near Pitt. Area felt safe. Room and hotel were clean and the decor was great.

Not terrible, but won't be back.

Had to PAY for parking! Bathroom door doesn't lock...just slides from closet to bathroom openings. Super loud air conditioner. No shampoo provided in room. No exhaust fan in bathroom.

Close to the University we were visiting. Shuttle service within a 3 mile radius. Staff was accommodating and pleasant.

It wasn't fancy but was clean and fine.

Make sure you know which hotel you're booking because there are two Hampton Inn Downtowns but one is "University".

Shuttle service was great!

Very big bed.
    • King Deluxe Room - Non-Smoking

Some staff in the reception was very unpleasant and didn´t help me in my doubts. They didn´t clean the room everyday. I spent 8 days and the room was cleaned only 3 times. The location is far away from the downtown but very close to university however good comunication with downtow by bus. They pass very often and the bus stop is quite near.

Very big bed. my room had very nice views to downtown. There was a microwave and fridge in the room. Facilities very good good big tv, desk, table and very confortable coach.Breakfast very good with a hugh varieties of food. Wifi very very good and fast.

The staff was friendly the rooms were clean.
    • King Deluxe Room - Non-Smoking

That we had no idea we were being charged an extra 15 dollars a day for parking our car on site.

The staff was friendly the rooms were clean. The women at breakfast were extremely kind. Rick the shuttle driver was so personable,he gave us great tips and was a pleasure to speak with. Definite asset to the hotel.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

This was such a welcome respite after a long drive - in...
    • King Deluxe Room - Non-Smoking

This was such a welcome respite after a long drive - in thunderstorms - from DC! Friendly, helpful, let me park longer than my stay, and great room. Thanks!

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

Mediocre
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Bathroom needs some work - peeling paint, no water glasses - had to use paper coffee cups, and $15 for parking is outrageous - a real ripoff. I don't think I would ever stay again for that reason alone!

My wife stayed here and she asked them to use a diff card...
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

My wife stayed here and she asked them to use a diff card then the one on file and they put a hold of 40$ on both cards and then ran the card she said not to run!!

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

Great service
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Our room only had a stand up shower and no bath tub which was only a minor disappointment and didn't take away from the overall value of the stay

Loved the complimentary shuttle service, friendly staff, and breakfast options.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Top Hotel-downmarket cutlery and crockery at breakfast.

Paper plates, plastic cutlery, paper cups with the breakfast-come on, this is supposed to be quality Hotel. Very disappointed with this aspect, to the point that we will not stay there again.

Excellent location-great links to public transport network.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Good city hotel

The immediate neighborhood had few restaurants nearby but there was a shuttle service from the hotel!

It was quiet and conveniently located near the universities.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

Great place to stay and visit Pittsburgh!

It was very close to the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon. Easy access on and off the highway. The staff was great and the breakfast was free and amazing! Great choice of food (omelette, French toast, sausage, waffles, cereal etc)

Very satisfied; would choose again.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

tiny shower, fairly noisy early and late due to nearby construction; no fault of the property, but could affect stay.

Room was nice; very adequate size for price and excellent location.

• Reviewed: 4 April 2017

The staff was extremely friendly.
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Paying $14 to park a day was a little much when parking was extremely limited. Not fun to get in or out of. Were told at check-in Parking was $14 for the stay when actually $14 per day.

The staff was extremely friendly. Very clean/quite room. Good breakfast.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

excellent!!!!!!!!!

water in the lobby infused with lemon looked like and tasted like from the night before I would love if they can have espresso machine even for extra charge

service was excellent, beds were comfortable, enough towels in the room, very clean, the lay out of the room loved it. breakfast lots of variety , just excellent.

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

Nice rooms and bed, decent breakfast with fresh fruits.
    • King Deluxe Room - Non-Smoking

When the neighbours were present, it was very easy to hear them. Fortunately they were not too noisy.

Nice rooms and bed, decent breakfast with fresh fruits.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

The overall stay was nice.

I was a little disappointed with having to wait for the room after checking in. I actually did not have to wait as long as others but did have to wait. Having friends in the hotel industry, more staff should have been brought in to help turn over the rooms.

The overall stay was nice.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

Typical Hampton Inn Quality

Unless you are visiting the hospital next door nothing close by to walk to. Cold elevators in the winter.

Comfortable rooms, comfortable beds, average bathroom, but good water pressure. big TV. Typical, but nice breakfast. Nice view of Pittsburgh. Short drive to UP and cultural sites.

• Reviewed: 25 December 2016

The staff was so friendly!
    • King Deluxe Room - Non-Smoking

The location is a bit out of the way.

The staff was so friendly! The taxi driver, Mr Darrel, is like part of the hotel staff. On my way to the airport I realized I had left a ring in the room. He promised he would have it sent to me and he did. The next day the ring arrived in my next hotel in NY. Thank you so much!!! Shuttle service very useful.

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

Top notch!

No complaints

I loved so much! The staff was Amazing!!! TracY was such a pleasure to work with. The front desk staff were so kind! The staff made this experience fantastic! The free shuttle was a huge selling point and the breakfast was really good.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

The bed was the best part of the room.

The room was poorly designed. No fan in the bathroom and not enough counter space for 2 peoples stuff. Other than a couple of metal/mesh drawers (they looked like they should be in a pantry) there were no drawers. There were 2 desk areas, one with 2 stools underneath. Who needs 2 desks? There wasn't enough room for the stools to be used! Most annoying was the lighting. There was one lamp over a desk and a wall lamp over each bed. All the fixtures had fluorescent bulbs which is very cold and unwelcoming.

The bed was the best part of the room. The staff was helpful and friendly

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Comfortable and affordable
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

They did take out the previous persons trash. And there was black mold on the grout in the bathroom and other peoples hair in one of the folded towels

Loved that it was remodeled and the decor

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

Don't go without a rental car.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Despite its apparently good location on the map, anywhere is at least a 40 minute walk away. The free hourly shuttle was a good idea, but is not reliable.

Nicely appointed, spacious room. Good selection at the self-serve breakfast. Tea, apples, cookies available at all hours.

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

the staff was extra helpful, having a bus to take us to...
    • King Deluxe Room - Non-Smoking

There was nothing we could complain about.

the staff was extra helpful, having a bus to take us to various places, the comfort of the rooms and the cleanliness of the hotel. The breakfast was also good with nice choices and the person in charge very helpful in taking our food to a table(we both use walkers).

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Another Football stadium off the bucket list!!!!

No plain bagels, love the every so comfortable beds that is why we always stay @ Hamptons. Wish bathrooms had exhaust fans not biggie left door open and air took care of steam.

We enjoyed our stay we came for the Bengals game we are season tix holders here at home in Cincy and wanted to experience a game @ Heinz field. The ladies were very helpful in telling us where to go in the city and oh so very sweet and Extra special to be able to leave our car and take the shuttle every where and especially nice the rail to the game. Thanks again. We will continue our stays @ Hampton Inn.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2016

Pitt families recieved unbelievable service during Freshmen move-in.

Quality of "warm" breakfast items.

Directions to destinations in Pittsburgh and the outstanding attention/service to Pitt parents and students during move-in week.

• Reviewed: 3 September 2016

Shuttle service to attractions.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Faulty TV interrupted nighttime sleep. Clock didn't have correct time.

Shuttle service to attractions. Welcome at Reception when we arrived. Near Phipps Conservatory (photo) and universities.

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

Overall good

We left for the day at 6am to move our daughter into Pitt and when we got back around 3 pm our room had not been cleaned yet. No fresh towels etc ...my husband told the housekeepers to forget it since we were going to take a nap. I also did not like that I had to pay to park.

Location. Free breakfast(although we didn't have a chance to eat)?

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

The good and the ugly.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Sorry I did this backward, but the staff was friendly and helpful, the bed was comfortable and housekeeping did a good job with tidying and linens between nights.

I had to change rooms because the first room was infested with ants. The second room had a suspicious(like blood) stain on the left arm of the desk chair, although I didn't say anything about that because I didn't want to move all of my things again. But if you go check, the stain will probably still be there. Room. # 700.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

😞
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Booking.com really messed up my reservation and I had no room after spending over and hour getting things straighten out. I was calling to say I would be checking in late only to find out I had no room. The hotel was small and just okay. They didn't even provide an ice bucket

Staff was great

Efficient and cozy

More workout options. (Glad that there was a space and it was well-maintained.) Entrance to the hotel and parking was an issue.

I liked how efficient the rooms were and the beds were really comfortable. Loved the breakfast - a great variety of foods. The coffee was surprisingly fantastic.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

Little gem in the Pitt college neighborhood.

There was only one person at the desk during check-out in the AM, and she had to also answer the phone, so it was a bit of a wait to get service. She was very nice, but I wish there had been someone else there as well.

The staff was very friendly, the hotel was really convenient to the nearby colleges, we walked right to campus. Beds were so comfy I thought I was at home, and the breakfast was plentiful and had lots of good options. Clean, well-apportioned room.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

Great stay at the Hampton Inn.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The plug in the bathroom sink was a little slow and maybe next time we will recommend firm pillows if available. Otherwise, it was a great stay. People were very friendly and helpful. Thanks

The location was ideal. My son goes to University of Pittsburgh Medical School so we utilized the free shuttle service to get around. Also, your options for breakfast were great. The next time we visit my son we will definitely stay again.

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

• King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The bathroom has only sliding door with no locker, it is very difficult to reach the entrance of the hotel from outside. The parking has charged that was not explained at the time of checking in.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

Clean, good location but small room and breakfast area
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Well, upon arrival the room I had booked was "not available". I had booked a king suite with a pull out sofa. The staff was accommodating however. The breakfast area was very small compared to the number of people staying at the hotel. Both mornings there were people standing around trying to find a space to sit and eat.

The facility was clean and it was in a good location. The beds were comfortable.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

Nice Hotel Close to Pitt

The air conditioner smelled moldy. Courtney addressed this immediately and we were very appreciative. The room was advertised as a double room with two queen beds. Both the room and beds seemed smaller than anticipated

Courtney, the front desk manager was wonderful!! Very helpful, accommodating & concerned about making our stay as nice as possible. The hotel was close to the University of Pittsburgh which we visited and was the reason we stayed at the Hampton Inn. The complimentary breakfast was both delicious and plentiful.

• Reviewed: 30 July 2016

Clean place to stay.

No fold up beds available. Made for uncomfortable sleeping conditions. 3 people in a queen bed!

Decor is recently updated. Color scheme is soft and relaxing.

• Reviewed: 30 July 2016

Had to leave a day early, staff quick to credit our night.

Had to leave a day early, staff quick to credit our night. They we're awesome. Location difficult to navegate from and to. Neighborhood run down, with no sign of improving soon

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

Very nice, very clean!

Not very big room for 2 queen beds. By the time our family of 5 and our bags were all in our room, there was limited area space left to move around.

The outside of the hotel is a little dated and unassuming looking. But our Room was recently renovated and very clean. Lobby and hallways appears the same.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Great spot in Pittsburgh!!

We liked everything!!

Staff was great. Loved the shuttle service. Rick was great and went way above the call of duty. Free breakfast was really good. Good food. Good location. We liked everything!!

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Pittsburgh Perfect !

No AC in the shuttle van??!! on a 90 degree day!! c'mon Hampton!! maintain your vehicle! Rick deserves better!!

great location for Pitt U,and a short Uber ride to Southside and the First Ave train station will get you to both stadiums FREE. Shuttle service is nice. our driver Rick was too cool, the man knows Pittsburgh. Clean modern rooms with great water pressure and comfy beds. Free Parking if its available. No sense paying $350+ for a room downtown when you have this.

Staff recognized our 30th Anniversary - was wonderful!
    • King Deluxe Room - Non-Smoking

Staff recognized our 30th Anniversary - was wonderful!