Reviews of Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown 3 stars

1531 Pacific Highway, Downtown San Diego, San Diego, CA 92101, USA

#80 of 226 hotels in San Diego

• King Study with Sofa Bed

Failed to mention while booking that there is a $30 overnight parking fee. Ended paying $90 for parking. Feel like it should be included with the room.

Nice location. Everything is walking distance.

• King Study with Sofa Bed

Within walking distance to MSS Midway. Little Italy is only a few minutes walk and the light rail is literally around the corner giving you easy access to the city's attractions. Property is very clean and our price included a full breakfast on site parking available at an extra charge.

Had a good time really. Comfortable location being in walking distance to basically everything downtown. Quite clean, daily service, decent breakfast. Essentially quite happy. Will consider again if I come back.

The only things we didn't like was the view from our window (view of other guests windows) and the price (overall and 30/night for parking.

The most amazing mattress and pillows.

The expense of the parking - $30 per night

The hotel is very modern with nice, light, comfortable, quiet rooms. The complimentary coffee is a nice bonus and the staff were very helpful. Location is great - almost right on the water and around the corner from Little Italy - perfect for us.

• King Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

I loved that’s it’s basically in the middle of everything you could want to do! It’s so centrally located!! The Waterfront Park directly across the street with activities, a close walk to the USS Midway and so much more like Little Italy 🇮🇹 I will definitely come again!! The breakfast 🥞 was AMAZING and the staff is beyond awesome 😎 They even provide ice cold water 💦 and coffee ☕️ round the clock!!

Right next to the train station so some train horns (during the day only)

Staff were very friendly and kind. Check in and out was super easy and fast. The breakfasts were yummy and fully stocked no matter what time we showed up. The pool was heated. The rooms were clean. So close to lots of things for walking and exploring.

Room above us to loud woke us up. We called down to the desk 4xs. They sent security up but still very loud. I believe they had a child that was running back and forth stomping at 5:30 am. Adults footsteps were even louder after complaining. Not hotels fault

Love the breakfast, staff is very nice.

No ice available on our floor. No spa.

The staff was exceptional. Food was flavorful. The check in was easy. The mix up on my bill was corrected with no issues.

• King Study with Sofa Bed

The room was a good size and the bed was very comfortable. There was no bathtub (in case you like soaking tired travel muscles, like me) and there was no option to keep the fan on constantly to drown out the noise from the hallway.

Perfect location for exploring San Diego or attending a conference. The waterfront with access to museums, ferries, cruises, restaurants, and shopping is one block away. The endless restaurants of Little Italy are a two block walk. The trolley (light rail) is behind the hotel and will get you to Old Town, Gaslamp Quarter, convention center or Balboa Park (transfer to the 7 bus) in minutes.

The hotel staff member failed to tell me, even after giving her my cell number & email address also my flight arrival information, that their shuttle service stops running at 2200. My flight arrival time was 2230. I CHOSE the hotel partially based on them having a complementary airport shuttle. The breakfast area was dirty with no one attending it to assist guests.

I liked the location.

The airport shuttle did not leave on time as scheduled. It waited for 2 other riders who were running very late. Left at 10:20, instead of the 10:00 departure time. We felt very rushed and nervous about missing our flight. Very rude of the 2 riders who were late. If people are not there on time, the shuttle should leave without them. The ones who are on time should not have to run the risk of missing their flight. This comment would have been much worse, and there would have been a phone call to you if we would have missed our flight!!!!

Nice breakfast selection!! Great location!! Free airport shuttle!! Water and coffee in lobby 24/7!!

• King Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

Wished they had included in their email that you would need to check in first and need your key to get in and out the garage to park your car. The bathroom was a little outdated could use some work.

The breakfast included was decent.

$30 for parking was a little steep

The room was very nice and the blankets were warm and cozy. Had neutragena products in the bathroom that’s very nice stuff

Had to take a taxi to hotel from airport. Driver was at dinner. Not good.

Room, bed met expectations. I have traveled a lot, no problems with facilities.

The young man (the day we checked in) at the front desk was super helpful in To do's around the area. He was spot on with his advise!!! I appreciated his honesty on what he would and wouldn't do within the area!!!

• King Study with Sofa Bed

Plumbing in our room needs to be updated, passed its used by date. Breakfast was poor quality and impossible to get a table.

Friendly staff, very clean and comfortable.

The noise from the trains was horrible! You shouldn't even let those rooms get reserved.

Breakfast was awesome. Decor fabulous and the rooms were very clean!

• King Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

We woke up a bit late; therefore when we got to get breakfast there was not much left. HEADS UP: have breakfast before 9:30 am otherwise you won't find many options

Very centric, comfortable hotel that fits all needs, we got a nice big room with Neutrogena products (love them!). The staff was really nice and approachable.

• King Study with Sofa Bed

Could use a notepad in the room.

Helpful & friendly reception staff. Conscientious service staff. Great variety for breakfast. Evening treats. Constant coffee supply. Printed TV guide in room.

I placed my reservation online. It was way more than it said it would be. I asked for an upper level floor and I was placed on the 2nd floor. For the price I expected more. I also had to pay for a taxi because the shuttle stops running at 10 pm. I’ve traveled the world and this is not one of the better places I’ve stayed. Will not be staying again.

Close to the airport.

• King Study with Sofa Bed

I would have given them 4 stars but because of the backflow in their sink when we came back to our room we could not wash nor use the toilet because it had flooded the bathroom floor. We had to go to my relative's room to use the bathroom.

Breakfast wasn't as good as I've had at similar properties, and our room was noisy. It would have been nice if the shower curtain actually reached across the tub. The door had a gap to the hallway, so we heard everything happening outside our room.

The front desk staff was terrific--very friendly and accommodating.

Amtrack noise may prevent your deep sleep if you choose a room close to the rail. Voice from the next room was also a bit noisy for me in the night.

The hotel afforded airport shuttle service. It locates close to Trolley station (little Italy). All the staff are kind and friendly.

Trains! Could not sleep pay 6AM due to trains blowing their horns. Parking was also expensive and not prominently mentioned on your website.

Room was comfortable and location was near attractions. Breakfast was pretty good.

Nothing that I can think of.

We were extremely happy with the hotel/breakfast/staff and location. The bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom was roomy and loved the layout of shelving for towels! We will definitely stay there again.

The Flight info display on the wall beside the front desk could have saved us from going to the airport 3 hours too early, as there was a flight delay, but we couldn't get the departure info up on the screen. Not sure why as some outgoing flights were displayed

Front desk staff very helpful

• King Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

My shower leaked significantly to the bathroom floor. I had a room with a shower that had no barrier between the shower floor and the rest of the bathroom. Room 432

The breakfast buffet was great.

• King Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

No barrier to keep shower water contained to shower. (this was an ADA shower/room, not sure how correctable this problem is. We utilized rolled towels for water containment)

Many food varieties at the complimentary breakfast buffet.

• King Study with Sofa Bed

There is a major rail line just behind the hotel which might bother some people, not us!

Central located, close to Harbor, major attractions and Little Italy. Lots of good, predominantly Italian restaurants within walking distance to hotel. Also appreciated the friendly attentive staff, quick shuttle service every half hour to and from the airport.

• King Study with Sofa Bed

Excellent varied breakfast. Coffee and fruit infused water available at all times, Free shuttle to airport. Very large room with very confortable bed, ample desk, fridge

Proximity to cruise terminal. Hotel stowed my luggage on my return trip until I was ready to go to the airport. It's great to have an available shuttle to and from the airport and to the cruise ship terminal.

Great location! Super value! Coffee 24/7 was fantastic. Good breakfast. Clean hotel, rooms were nice. The only thing I didn't like was the front desk staff, (1 guy in particular) was extremely rude, unwelcoming, and made me uncomfortable. Luckily the GM Keith Noe quickly rectified the issue and made up for the situation. I highly recommend this hotel was an affordable stay in the heart of San Diego!!!

• King Study with Sofa Bed

Close to Railroad/Trolley crossings which ran late & starts up early. The noise could be much less w/window upgrades. It is a blessing when your using the trolley system. Ask for rooms at the front of the hotel to reduce the noise if possible.

Everything just moments away. Good breakfast, makes getting on with the day fast and easy.

There were no drinking cups in the room only paper Coffee cups. We ask for drinking cold cups and were told they were not supplied. We picked up some from the water table in the lobby to use while we were there

We liked to walk to Little Italy from the hotel

Staff was friendly and helpful. They were always polite. Rooms were clean. Breakfast was good and had nice variety. Would definitely stay there again.

Fee for parking , no need for this fee rip off.

Asked for special requests both were granted . Great place to stay ,great location, breakfast good lots of seating for breakfast. Would stay here again for sure.

• King Study with Sofa Bed

Staff did not have room ready on check in Said they would call my cell when ready never called I checked. Ack into desk and got in room at 5:30 pm

Room recently refurbished

They did not get me the room with the bridge view that I had requested. Just little mistake ;(

The location is convenience for walking around and have good foods. Also it nears the Little Italy which has many restaurant that you can try

The volume for the Fox News channel was permanently mute so we were unable to hear anything on that channel. The other channels did not have any problems with volume.

The bed was very comfortable!

They were trying something new with the parking. I feel their charges for parking were high and didnt care for that to much.

everything was fine and we have always enjoyed our stay when we are in San Diego on business.

• King Study with Sofa Bed

Most important...the bed and bedding was VERY comfortable! Also loved the walk in shower instead of a tub and the good sized bathroom. We had a single king size bed so we enjoyed watching HBO on the sofa. Hampton Inn is always a favorite w/the great breakfast and always available coffee, tea, & water. Staff were lovely people...helpful and polite. And all of the facilities were clean. Just what you expect from Hampton Inn

• King Study with Sofa Bed

Valet parking was a bit pricy. Booking just said parking, but is cost an extra $35 to park on the property,

staff was helpful, clean hotel, close to the waterfront cruises, Midway, Star of India, etc Valet attendants were very good

A microwave in the room would have been nice. Wished the pool was warmer. No bar onsite

Close walk to the waterfront and little italy. Breakfast had a nice variety of food.

• King Study with Sofa Bed

I was surprise when I got the bill, it was as much as the room cost per day, and no one say or toll me about this charge, I don't think this is right, I will go on the web and tell others about your way of doing business!!!

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

• King Study with Sofa Bed

Disposable plastic cutlery at breakfast.

Convenient location, close to the waterfront & to Little Italy. Free shuttle to & from the airport & the port. Friendly staff.

Bed too high from the floor.

The bed was very comfortable, but too high from the floor. Almost had to jump to get on the bed. Room nice and large, bathroom granite counter top.

• King Study with Sofa Bed

I booked this hotel based on reviews, but i do not think it lived up to it. The free breakfast in the morning is convenient, but got my partner got sick from it that morning. I only had some toast. The train wasn't too bad of a problem as long as you had ear plugs, but the beds were incredibly uncomfortable. The doors to our rooms are incredibly thin, there were teenagers in the halls talking and arguing with their parents so it made it impossible to just relax in our room in the evening because it was so clearly heard. The person above us kept stomping around. We didn't sleep well at all. The staff at the front desk were really friendly, valet was okay. Location was the best part of this hotel as far as access to Little Italy.

Staff was friendly and accommodating if needed. Location.

• King Study with Sofa Bed

Great place, location but the noise by the ongoing train kept me up did not get a good night sleep both nights. NOT at all a fan of the fee for parking. We pay enough to stay at the Hampton. No kne should be charged a daily fee to park. This alone was a disappointment. This needs to be revisited by your company.

We enjoyed the breakfast in the morning. The coffee and tea being offered all day was much appriciated. The infused water was always empty maybe you should have 2 containers so everyone could enjoy..

• King Study with Sofa Bed

Enjoyed my stay. The hotel was wonderful and staff were very helpful with any questions. The room was clean and comfortable to stay. The parking was convenient with good valet service. The location was excellent, close to the beach.

We experienced nothing of importance wrong with our stay at the hotel.

Our room on the 6th floor was excellent; clean, comfortable bed, nice furniture, clean and functional bathroom, and good electrical outlets for electrical equipment. We had a corner room that gave a good view of the port. The staff was friendly and helpful The included breakfast was good. The location was good, a short walk to Little Italy and all its restaurants or to the port with its museums. We arrived two days before our cruise and enjoyed some of what San Diego has to offer, which is alot. On the day of our cruise the shuttle was available to take us to the cruise terminal, a very nice additional benefit.

• King Study with Sofa Bed

Bed was not comfortable woke up each day sore and knots in my back same with my significant other. No microwave in room. Bathroom wasn’t updated. There’s a train right behind hotel so you could hear that every time it went by. Also lots of construction goin on with the hotel it looked like so it made it hard to see pull in for the hotel and side walk in front was all torn up and very small.

Location was good and they had free breakfast, it’s the usual same stuff but was good. Room was pretty much updated.

I didn't have a view of the beautiful city or the water.

It was very convenient to all of the entertainment, sites & restaurants downtown. As well as public transportation. The staff was eagerly willing to assist my family and I in whatever we needed and it was quiet.

Inconsistency of employee

There is hair in the bathroom . Someone knock so early in my door asking if my bathroom is broken. They should double check which room is it . Especially early morning while ur still sleeping 😡😡😡

The layout of the hotel is odd and the elevators are old. If you uber to and from the convention center you will never see or smell anything... There are a good few homeless persons in the area and the surrounding streets smell strongly of urine depending on which side you are walking (but this seems to be a norm and gets worse if you stay in the Gaslamp district)

Location...Location...Location...Can you guess why I selected this Hotel? Its minutes from the Airport and the Conference Center ( reason for my stay)... its right on the water front for scenic views, a couple streets below the medley of restaurants and bars of little italy and the MTS Trolley runs right behind it ($5 for a daily pass for unlimited rides) Beyond Hampton Inn being one of my favorite hotel chains for business travel (this one lived up to my expectations... With a real hot breakfast which shifted daily but always contained real scrambled eggs, breakfast meats and fresh fruit) this one was really nicely decorated to fit the vibe of San Diego and the staff were friendly. What I was panicked about (noise from the trains) turned out to be a zero issue... The hotel was full due to the convention, so I got the worst room in the hotel... right against the back of the hotel directly opposite to the train tracks. I braced for a night of no sleep, but once the windows are properly closed I could barely hear anything, the ring of the closing roadway was barely audible and the slight rumble of the passing of a big freight train was not enough to even bother. After reading the reviews on the terrible noise from the trains, I laughed out loud when I realized at how soft the noise level during my week long stay. There is a 24hr fast food fix available next door thanks to "Jack in the Box"... which has an extensive lineup of foods (teriyaki rice bowl is my favourite) When I return to San Diego I will stay here again!!!

• King Study with Sofa Bed

the room air conditioner was noisy, had to turn it off to sleep, then it got hot. could not get Hilton Honors credit because of using Booking.com.

breakfast, airport shuttle, shuttle to the Marine Corps Recruit Base, location, desk staff

Difficult parking, due to road works outside hotel. The cost of parking. For my tast the bacon needed cooking longer (much longer)

All Staff, very friendly and helpful.

• King Study with Sofa Bed

The gentleman that checked me in (cannot remember his name) was great. Other 2 female front desk staff were not as friendly. The pool does not get sun until later in the day. The room doors provide no sound barrier from the hall - was very noisy at times, especially from other doors opening and closing nearby (thought it was my own door the first few times)

The hotel is by a train station, but we didn't hear much noise and we slept beautifully

Everything! We loved every single bit! I couldn't believe this is a 3 star hotel! Everything looks good and new. It looks even better than many 4 star hotels I have seen in the USA It's been a great experience. I couldn't recommend it enough

The tub squeaked loudly when we took a shower. I was afraid we would fall through. It also dripped all night, but we didn't hear it. The bed squeaked a little when I sat up. Rooms don't have a view.

The location was good. The free breakfast is good. The staff is always friendly. The bed is comfortable but squeaked a bit when I sat up.

Room was not cleaned after the first day and the front desk personnel were not very knowledgeable on the housekeeping functions of the hotel.

Beds were comfortable.

• King Study with Sofa Bed

We are frequent Hampton Inn visitors and this property was nothing like other HI. Room was very small and the parking garage was too small making it difficult to park. Water was leaking in the ceiling in the drop off/driveway area which was right under the swimming pool. Not very safe with potential of electrocution.

Clean! Nice dining area. Big bathroom.

• King Study with Sofa Bed

The parking garage is really tight. If you drive I suggest you back into your spot. Otherwise you will have a difficult time getting out.

Conveniently located. For those with kids the water park across the street is really cool. I was tempted to play in it! Walking distance to Midway Museum and Broadway Pier. We even walked to Seaport Village but wouldnt recommend unless you are an avid walker. Also only 9 minute drive to the Zoo. We also saw negative reviews pertaining to train noise.. we oddly found it relaxing. There is also a bakery around the corner its not cheap but so worth it!

• King Study with Sofa Bed

Parking was terrible the hallway smelled like marijuana for two nights The general manager Laurie seemed annoyed when I informed her about this but when I called the corporate number a gentleman by the name of Ferril was totally excellent in the way he handled our situation

The breakfast was well stocked And housekeeping was great

• King Study with Sofa Bed

Two things were missing from our room ( a personalized ring and a dollar coin). Manager was on vacation and has not returned our call (it's been three weeks). We filed a police report.

Breakfast was delicious, but the location of the food was a bit crowded. It was hard to get around during peak times.

Garage fee of 25 bucks was a bit of a hidden cost.

Breakfasts were awesome! Location was great! I liked the fact I saw no pets. Nothing against pets in general but keep them at home!

• King Study with Sofa Bed

The bathroom door would get stuck every time you closed it. The parking is expensive at $25 per night and the spaces are small and very limited. You will be ok if you have a compact car.

Nice up-to-date hotel and clean

The view from our room was just construction. I asked for a higher floor but did not get it! We were also charged 25.00$ for parking. That should be included!!

I originally booked the room in my name then I had to put the room in someone else name because I wasn't able to attend. I went to Booking.com and changed the room to a new name because they have that option so I did. when I booked the room it was $169.00 dlrs but when the new couple showed up they charged them $350.00. Once the couple came home and asked me what the price was and I had the email to prove it they called the Hotel back and they only gave them back $100.00 they still were over charged.

Perfect Location the event was directly across the street

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

• King Study with Sofa Bed

The air conditioner resisted to go below 19.5°C one night and the room was actually hot for a few hours at night. The duty manager offered us a different room, now this room was closer to the trolley station, so even more horrible due to the noise of gates closure every half n hour (manager actually informed us about this but that was the only room available). Anyway the air conditioner setting was similar in that room as well. Technician came in the morning and fixed it. Pool was small and dirty due to the palm trees around it.

We were received by Ryan and he was pleasant and friendly. Even let us check-in a little earlier. Room we got was okay but storage design is awkward. There is a coffee machine, fridge and hair drier in the room. Walking distance to USS midway and some other attractions along the shore. You can also get the ferry to Coronado island in 5 minutes walk. Airport shuttle service was a bonus.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

Nothing bad to say all good hotel is the best

I have never been so happy at a hotel. This hotel has the best beds , they feel like your sleeping on a cloud. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is traveling to SD. I loved the fact that they let me check in at 6:00 am because my train came in at 5:15 am they did not deny me or charge extra. I recommend this hotel to the world very classy staff very gooooooooooood breakfast and the coffee was the Bomb. Thank You for your service. Jackie G.

Parking is limited, so if you want to go out at night on the weekend, you may or may not have a parking space when you come back in.

The staff was very pleasant and the breakfast was really good.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

• King Study with Sofa Bed

Paying for the $25 overnight parking in there garage. That should have been part of the hotel stay.

The rooms were extremely clean and breakfast was on point!

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

• King Study with Sofa Bed

The food could of be better. Eggs were watery and the wait for waffles were long.

The room was nice having the room by the train didn't bother me at all. Wish the room had a tub though.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

No safe in room

Location was within easy walking distance to the harbour and cruise terminal. Staff were really helpful and friendly. Shuttle was provided to the Train Station