Reviews of Hampton Inn San Diego - Kearny Mesa 3 stars

5434 Kearny Mesa Road, Kearny Mesa, San Diego, CA 92111, USA

#33 of 226 hotels in San Diego

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Jet airplane noise, from military airfield. No one tells you when you check in that you my have listen to jet noise for a few hours. I would not have stayed there if I had been told about it. I had to pay over $ 200.00 for this and would like to at least be given a credit for half of the cost of the room. Jim Elam

Breakfast was not kept stocked very well. The employee that was working that area was rude to some guests.

The room was excellent. Bed was amazingly comfortable. Location was great, easy to find.

The breakfast area was small and crowded during the morning hours. No Airport shuttle service.

The room was clean, spacious and well maintained. The reception was nice and the staff was very helpful and cooperative.

I felt very sorry for the two people running the breakfast - the room was packed and they struggled to keep up with supply. They were very helpful to me personally but keeping a hot breakfast supplied along with tea/coffee/hot water etc seemed a real challenge. We did not go for breakfast on the second day and went elsewhere. (There was nothing wrong with the food - perhaps another spread choice for the toast would have been great?)

The room - spacious, quiet, bit of a view, comfy bed, TV. The location especially coming off the Freeway 15 - easy to find and heaps of food/drink options close by.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Quiet location and break fast. Me my wife and 2 children enjoyed it.

Over all it was good. We have just one thing to say, house keeping come to clean the room we request her to come back but she never did. When we come back to the room around 6 pm we found the same room as we left. But I called the office told them what happened they send some one right away cleaned our room, changed our bed and gave us towels and other tgings Which was nice of them.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

People slamming their door.

The front desk staff was very pleasant and friendly. The room was welcoming and clean. The bathroom was spacious and stocked with Neutrogenia product. Location was near freeway and restaurants.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The breakfast was good and staff was friendly and very helpful. I think the staff just needs to stay on top of cleaning. When a guest spills things they need to stay in top of it. I just don't think the person was aware of this. They were so helpful and seemed like a hard worker.

The room and hotel were clean. That's very important to me.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast ran out of bread and food when room were full. Crowded most of our stay.

Properly is clean. Elevator is so slow. Rather walk down stairs.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel is conveniently located to the airport, sea world, zoo and only 1 hour and 20 min from Disney (assuming you dont get caught in traffic). The rooms were clean and comfortable and despite being adjacent to the highway I never noticed the road noise. The heated outdoor pool was a bonus as my kids were able to play in it at the end of the day. Breakfast was typical hotel buffet fare ...all the staff were courteous and helpful

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Avoid getting the room next to the fitness center (a converted guest room), especially if you are a light sleeper -- 5:00 a.m. workouts from other guests will wake you up wondering, "What's that noise?" and then feeling a bit guilty that you aren't as inclined to workout ;-)

Chose this hotel from Booking based on its high rating with a budget friendly price for a spontaneous trip to San Diego. I found it to be a very convenient location, with easy freeway access to downtown San Diego and attractions, as well as San Diego State. Enjoyed the heated pool, a well-stocked breakfast each morning (waffles were, according to the kids, "the best!"), comfortable beds, overall quiet rooms, ample parking, and clean facilities. Staff was friendly and very helpful. High marks for feeling safe with kids. Tip: chilled filtered water is available in the fitness center - perfect for filling up water bottles for the adventures in San Diego. Also, though not used, found that they had washers and dryers easily available to guests, a nice added convenience. Hampton Inn - Kearny Mesa is an exceptional value.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Overall rooms were clean but carpets felt filthy.

Staff were all fantastic. Breakfast was good. Daily oatmeal, waffles, yogurt, and a hot component. It was great that coffee, tea, lemonade and ice water were available all day. Guest laundry facilities were convenient ($1.75 for washer, $1.25 for dryer). Parking was easy and well lit. Location was great for accessing different parts of San Diego. Hotel is right off of highway and there are lots of restaurant and dessert places within a short driving distance. Didn’t use the pool but staff were out there every morning wiping down the chairs and laying out towels.

They were friendly and accommodating.. breakfast was more then continental.. location was perfect 15 mins from everything.. the rooms were clean roomy and comfortable.. we had a blast staying the weekend with my family and will stay here every time we come to San Diego.

The only problem we had was the second morning when we went to breakfast at 9 am they were pretty much out of everything.

The facility is very well kept. The staff is great.

The lighting in the room was horrible, I couldn't even put on my makeup on the I way I wanted to. Would like a stand mirror in the room as well, and we were so disappointed the hotel doesn't offer a microwave.

It was just ok....don't think it was worth the money I paid to stay there.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds with Bath Tub - Disability Access

Prefer Walk in shower instead of tub, Better lighting for shaving and makeup, and More mirror and counter space in bathroom. Didn’t appreciate Running out of cups, forks & spoons, and food several mornings, especially the 26th February.

Lots of safety bars in bathroom. Lots of accessible outlets throughout room. Comfortable beds.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

However, the restroom in our room was very dirty! I took pictures before I cleaned it and before my husband and kids used the shower. I brought it to the front desk staff and they apologized and renewed our faith in the Hampton Inn.

Breakfast was perfect. Staff made my granddaughter a waffle and she loved it! Front desk staff was great and very helpful.

almost nothing, if i will go to San Diego again; i would definitely stay in this hotel

Location, easy access to all main routes and attraction points, parking, very kind and helpful staff, new building, very clean and nice decorated, good breakfast

No microwave!! It hardly costs 50$. We had to go all the way down to ground floor from 3rd to heat my toddler's milk. This is the only thing that bothered me at this hotel. I will book next time if you guys add a microwave to your rooms.

Nice and clean rooms. Breakfast buffet. Close proximity to attractions. You can get on the freeway easily and reach your favorite destinations.

The main lobby or the entrance was in reconstruction so we had to enter from the side of the hotel. The area for eat on the breakfast was too small.

It was very clean and they had very good breakfast options for affordable prices.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds with Bath Tub - Disability Access

Not enough counter space in the bathroom, no microwave and no wheelchair to assist in getting granddaughter to room postop.

It was close to the hospital

There is nothing around, you really have to drive to shops and especially restaurants and bars. It is in an industrial area. But if you dont mind driving everywhere is right off the highway.

It is a typical Hamptons Inn, friendly staff, clean comfortable rooms. Love the free breakfast.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The juice machine was great! I wish it was available all day.

Parking was close, hotel is near the freeway so it was easy to get on your path without much driving on streets.

The price we were charged was more than the booking .com price. It took a rather long conversation with the desk clerk to clear this up. It was eventually resolved correctly.

Breakfast!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The entire building was very clean. The rooms were updated and bed were very comfortable. Breakfast was different each morning of our 5 day stay. Heated swimming pool. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Even got a postcard from the owners thanking us for staying with them!

I definitely would book again, but because the holding fee ($300) was extremely high and ridiculous, I won't be booking with Hampton Inn anytime soon.

The service was excellent from the time I walked in the door to my departure. The breakfast was great (great variety of food to choose from) and the attendants were very accommodating.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I really didn't have any issues with the hotel.

Friendly and professional staff. Were especially friendly to my children. Staff was always available. Rooms and hotel were clean and updated.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was a lovely pool open until late so we could use it after a day out. Ideal location for trips to LEGOLAND, San Diego old town, beaches and Universal Studios. Friendly and accommodating staff. Laundry facilities for families touring. All in all just what we wanted.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Most of the parking is in the back of the building.

The breakfast was extremely good. Front desk was super nice and granted my needs. Very kind. The Beds were so comfortable and the facility was nice and very clean!!

No jacuzzi

Very, very clean. Good breakfast and great variety to choose from. The staff are soooooo friendly and go out of their way to help you. We liked it so much we stayed an extra day. Will definitely be going back.

My only complaint is that there was an old hardboiled egg stuck behind the sofa in our room, which we discovered when we moved the sofa to put the pack-n-play behind it.

The staff was so kind and helpful as we tried to rearrange rooms to accommodate our toddler. They were also super-sweet when we came down to breakfast, getting a high chair, introducing her to the fish in the fish tank, even going into the back to get her a cup of milk after breakfast was put away.

The location was not the best. But if you have a car, it's not a problem.

Nice and clean hotel with good breakfast (with waffles!) and a nice pool area. The staff was really friendly and helpful. Free parking. Gym was ok. Appreciated the drinks and fruits that were available all the time.

Had ants in the room. Refrigerator wasn't working and it would've been nice to have a coffee table in the room instead of just a dinner tray.

Hotel is right off the freeway and is easily accessible. Staff was very friendly

I have no complaints. But perhaps the hotel could add room safes?

The staff treated our group of 12 exceptionally, and cheerfully devoted a lot of time in advance of a long weekend when the hotel was going to be packed full to getting rooms of the types we wanted (including getting a crib!) near enough that parents of a toddler could monitor her from another room during her daily naps. On top of that, the rooms were clean, stylish, and comfortable. The breakfasts were diverse and delicious, and the staff provided us with a high-chair for the toddler. Also, the housekeepers were communicative and flexible with our oddly timed comings and goings. We owe the team a debt of gratitude for making our time so easy and enjoyable.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

Thew eggs were extra fluffy and the bed was nice. There were plenty of outlets and USB ports for recharging electrical devices. Juice at breakfast was good. Liked the variety as well.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

Bed a little too soft for me, dated furniture and carpet, very few tv channels

Nice facilities, very friendly staff, great location- right off the freeway, easy parking, free wifi and breakfast, clean room

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Parking close to hotel was limited unless you came early and didn't leave your room again for the night. Otherwise, you'll have to park quite a distance away from hotel entrances. I booked a two queen bed room as listed on hotel and booking site but room had only two full size beds. No one in my party was overweight or heavy but both beds were unsteady, felt like they were going to collapse and slid off to the side if someone leaned or sat on the edge of the bed. When I inquired with the front desk about the beds and their size, I was told no rooms had queen beds and all were full size until renovations were complete. So hotel website and booking site listed false and inaccurate information which was misleading. Had I known beds were only full size and not queens, I would not have booked with this hotel. Breakfast was ok but for the number of guests, there was only one waffle maker which created an unreasonably long wait time. There needs to be at least two for the number of guests attending.

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

Breakfast area location was on the small side. Felt too cramped location of breakfast area was in same area as hotel front desk.

We stayed on the 5th floor,so it was very quite. Loved the pillows/was firm but still comfy. Loved that it was far away from Hotel circle/tourist area,but close enough to get to SeaWorld/ beaches.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast spread not good. I had kids with me they were asking for pancakes. Maybe they can invest on those pancake machine. Wifi is free but not working.

Good value

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The breakfast was mediocre. The eggs were from a mix and were awful. The "fresh" fruit salad tasted like chemical preservatives.

Beds were great

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We didn't have a microwave in our room and we had leftovers from eating out that we wanted to warm up - but there was one down in the lobby. The weather was a bit cool, and we did alot of walking during the day - so we were wishing for a hot tub.

The beds were comfortable, but wished they had been queens. enjoyed the variety of the breakfast buffet each day. Appreciated that they opened up the conference room on the weekend for seating for breakfast. Our room was very clean. Area and location were good. Close to the zoo and Sea World. The front desk gave us a good list of places to eat that were nearby.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

That our trip ended so soon .

Breakfast was self serve but still delicious.The room itself was not over the top simple decor with a comfortable bed. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Overall we loved our stay here and will definitely be back.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We missed breakfast because we slept too late, our fault.

Clean and comfortable room, very roomy, good beds for a good night's sleep. Close and convenient to the stadium for the football game - easy access to enjoy the game and avoid traffic.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

The hotel charged you extra money at the beginning of your trip (70$ for 3 nights), without telling you, in case you use their chargeable services and give your money back a few days after your check out.

The breakfast.

Not very many outlets in room, room were very small, sinks where took high for my tall 4 year old and no step stool.no variation in breakfast 3 days all the same...claimed there was free Internet but was very slow and didn't work often.

It was near a lot of freeways...and had a heated pool

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

not enough places to sit for breakfast parking and then entering building was awkward , the bed was NOT like a cloud , the eggs were rubbery and NOT fluffy

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

Not enough tables to eat breakfast. Maybe should've had hand sanitizer available and accessible around food area.

Bed was very comfortable. Bathroom very clean.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Beds were comfy but small, i shared with my 5 year old and it was not enough space, my 9 and 17 year old shared other bed and complained all night about space, and we are not large or oversized people, just average folks.

Nice assortment of hot and cold breakfast items, complementary. Location close to major freeways.

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds with Bath Tub - Disability Access

The lobby seemed a little sad and dark when you first come in but the staff was super cheery.

The staff was extremely nice and the rooms were exceptionally clean for the price we paid.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

The kids across the hall or next too me were allowing the door slam shut several times, otherwise it is a nice place to stay.

Place is very clean, very central located to everything in San Diego, safe.

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

The over pricing. I've stay in better quality Hiltons paying less.

The staff and their service made it all worth the stay. How ever,when I tipped them on the way out the door leaving, they were very humbled and surprised. Good serviced is to be rewardly appreciated.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

The staff is cold and not helpful, not friendly or welcoming. If I had paid half of what I did I would be satisfied. For the money it could have been a lot better.

The breakfast was good and replenished frequently. The pool was clean and well cared for.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

No military/retired military or senior citizen discount because we made the reservations through a third-party.

Breakfast was well prepared and the rooms were satisfactory for the our short stay.

• Reviewed: 23 July 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We have stayed at many Hamptons , the breakfast was not good and the sitting and lights were bad , no micro in the rooms , beds were not comfortable

Staff was very helpful, and the rooms were very quiet

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

Most of the parking was in the back, but exits in and out of hotel were limited to the back side of hotel. There's nothing that can really be done since this is the design of the lot. It wouldn't deter us from returning. The extra walk was ok for us.

In addition to the hotel room which was already a plus, we enjoyed the gym and the heated outdoor pool. The free round-the-clock coffee/tea and fruit added a nice touch to our stay. The staff was very responsive and friendly. When we asked for more towels at the gym, they responded very quickly. Thank you for a wonderful stay!!!

• Reviewed: 6 July 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

All of my pillows were thick and firm, which hurts my neck. Usually, a hotel will offer at least one softer pillow in the bunch. Would've been nice to have free weights in the gym, but I imagine that could result in theft. Overall, a very nice property and good experience!

Good breakfast selection, great location, friendly staff, clean facility and 24-hour gym access.

• Reviewed: 3 July 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Wqs looking forward to the pool on the only free afternoon we had. Got there early just for that. The pool was closed for what they said was a chemical treatment yet I watched from my window as they remodeled it. New plants, new chairs new umbrellas... Mattress was warped. Had to try and stay on the edge. Noisy, loud people in the hallways. Maids talking loudly to each other.

• Reviewed: 29 June 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

Nothing - it represented value for money

Good breakfast Lots if choice - comfortable beds in reasonable size rooms. Gym Staff were all very helpful and friendly

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

Very pricey. After booking online through booking.com, which was supposed to be deposit free, we were charged an extra $100 for a deposit.

Comfortable bed, clean room, great location.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The double room beds are a full size bed. It's very uncomfortable for two adults to sleep comfortably.. The breakfast was absolutely disgusting, and the free wifi was awful and kept disconnecting (our room was right by the elevator so maybe that's why) while we were there a robbery happened right across the street at the gas station so that was a little scary seeing it all blocked off with police and news trucks everywhere.

If the beds were a bigger size they would be great as they were really comfy but a full size bed for two adults is really small

Gym equipment was less

Location and room

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

It a good experience no problems

The breakfast area was too small, had to wait too long

The beds were comfortable

No jacuzzi

It was very clean and cozy, the staff were very nice and seemed to enjoy their job.

Understaffed, specially for breakfast!!! Sunday was chaotic....

The thin walls. A couple was arguing early in the morning.

The room was close to the elevator.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

When my wife went into the bathroom, she saw a lot of hair in the sink.

The price was fair.

Everything is good breakfast yummy too

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Not sure where the stairs were. Elevators are not everyones favorite.

Breakfast was great. The rooms were nice and clean. Everyone was friendly.

The sheets kept slipping off the bed during the night.

The comfort of the stay. Breakfast was great.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The price could have been a little cheaper and more comparable with other hotel choices in the area

Clean, and nice rooms

Could have had a little better breakfast selection.

Clean, quiet, friendly staff and comfortable beds.

We were right next to the lobby where people were talking/laughing loudly till 11:00 P.M.

The breakfast was not replenished when items ran out. The first floor was very noisy.

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable.

Everything was good