Reviews of Hampton Inn Silver Spring 3 stars

8728 Colesville Road, Silver Spring, MD 20910, USA

#4 of 11 hotels in Silver Spring

The only problem we had was when a group of junior high students took over the pool. We understand that children will be boisterous and playful, but their adult supervisors were a bit lax. We didn't complain to the hotel, but it was the only problem we had.

Service was excellent. Staff very friendly and accommodating. Included breakfast was good and a nice feature.

Slightly confusing with valet parking and being in the same building as another hotel.

Very nice. Comfy bed. Staff was very friendly and helped us find our way.

Elevators are very old, in fact we got stuck. I paid an extra $15 a night to upgrade to a corner room, but we were in front so noise was constant even on the weekend the hotel across the street was having work done. Monday morning construction on a new building next door woke us at 6am.

The hotel is downtown so lots eateries and shopping. Continental breakfast was convenient too.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The hotel is in a great location and the breakfast was also very good. There is construction going on around the area and I think it is affecting the water pipes because there was leaking from the toilet and every time you turned on the sink water or the shower there was a loud noise. The parking valet is HORRIBLE. They have no idea what they are doing and they take forever and can not control the car situation at all.

Large group of pre-teens that were very noisy. This is not really the hotels fault, but rather the group leader’s fault who had very little respect for other guests. I called the front desk and the hotel responded quickly.

Staff was amazing and very responsive to a very noisy group of young pre-teens. I asked for a reduced rate due to the late night noise and the day manager was very agreeable.

Amenities and pricing confirmed online and by phone with site were not available. Parking information was ambiguous. Found dead roaches in fridge once it arrived. Overcharged. Staff unhelpful. Forced to change rooms since confirmed Ethernet ports asked for weren't there.

Breakfast was hot and fresh.

This is the second time in less than a year I have stayed at the Hampton Silver Spring. Both times I had to go to a different floor because the ice machine was down to get ice. The air conditioner in my room did not work and the maintenance promptly responded. It worked but cycled on and off frequently and loudly. On check-out I reported that it needed to be looked at.

• King Room with Bath Tub- Hearing Accessible/ Non-Smoking

The pool didn’t open up at 6 or 7am I needed to utilize the pool before I started my day because it would be close when I returned. Also no refrigerators to store medication or by snacks have to eat 6-8 times a day

I love the bed

Parking was dreadful. Of course, in a location such as that, it is no surprise that space is at a premium. Staff was very helpful but rude drivers staying at hotel made every in & out challenging.

Clean facility. Very pleasant staff. Good breakfast and LOVE 24 hour a day coffee & tea in lobby

We paid an upgrade for a corner room with a view of downtown Silver Spring. The ONLY view we had were the construction workers (Saturday & Sunday) and construction work. Very disappointing.

Breakfast was the best part.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Great location, there is construction next door, but it wasn't overwhelming. The only issue was with the breakfast. This is going to sound weird, but the grapefruit was mixed with other fruit. It has a strong flavor and should be separate. Otherwise, great facilities, good staff.

The pool/jacuzzi was small and crowded the very first day we went there. Next day we went back before checking out and the jacuzzi wasn’t working.

The bed was comfortable.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The hotel was fine. It was very expensive for what was an average room. I've stayed in properties for 1/3 of the cost that are just as nice.

The staff were very nice. We were there to see a concert next door and the close proximity was fantastic.

N/a

I loved the atmosphere the location of the hotel and I didn’t rate the parking being that I didn’t use or not had a vehicle nice restaurant and shopping mall we went to DC and the train station was at a walking distance which was a plus for us!!

Kathy at the front desk went above and beyond to make sure we had the best experience at Hampton Inn. After a very stressful experience we ended up at Hampton Inn and thanks to the wonderful customer service and the beautiful rooms they have, I was able to relax and enjoy my weekend as planned.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The valet parking is a little inconvenient as far as the entrance to the hotel. I am hoping that this will be addressed.

Staff was pleasant. Breakfast was good.

• King Room - Hearing/Mobile Access with Roll in Shower/ Non-Smoking

Extend weekend breakfast to 11.

Easy check in, love getting breakfast, eating area needs update...sofas are not the cleanest.The staff is a major reason to stay, Tony is always so helpful along with everyone at the front desk.

• King Room with Bath Tub- Hearing Accessible/ Non-Smoking

The pictures are misleading. They make the hotel appear new. In fact the hotel seems very over used. There were stains on the chair in my room and on the carpet. The water initially came out brown as if there was some sort of pluming issue. The vending machines did not work. And the bed felt cheap and extra firm.

The property is in a great location. It is within walking distance to shopping/ restaurants.

Hotel was hard to find. There's no signage to see from afar. No parking on premises. Have to walk about 5 minutes to public parking garage that you have to pay for. Shower made a loud rattling sound that went away only after about 5 minutes. Housekeeping didn't show up one day. Had to call and get service done when we got back to the room after a long day. On another day, enough towels were not supplied.

Breakfast was good. Bed was comfortable. Room was clean.

I didn't like the lack of parking. There is another hotel in the area that has a skywalk that leads directly to and from the parking garage we were told to use. I may try that hotel next time I am in town.

The staff were great and the room was comfortable. The hotel is very accessible to everything in that area.

Furniture was pretty worn out, no on-site parking, limited pool hours (4-10), no fridge

Rooms were clean, coffee maker in room, convenient to the Fillmore, great breakfast in the morning, fast elevators

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

It was a nice stay! I always Enjoy staying here. I stayed here in 2014 & 2016! & I stayed again last night. its always clean and the staff is very nice. They have a great fitness center and I enjoyed their breakfast! :)

• King Room with Bath Tub- Hearing Accessible/ Non-Smoking

The bed was surprisingly uncomfortable. The day after I felt like I had slept on the floor. No exaggeration. If you’re fond of extremely hard mattresses, this may be your go to.

We didn’t like the parking options and the narrow driveway to access the property for checking in and overnight parking options. Didn’t like the fact that we weren’t aware of a fee for incidentals would be charged when checking in and that there were fluctuating rates for different guests. We also had multiple issues with the heating system and had to get maintenance to come up to the room several times before the heater was working properly.

I’ve liked the options available for the hot breakfast but Sunday our swimmers were not able to eat prior to leaving the property before the swim meet. We loved the customer service and location of the property. The fitness center and pool were very clean and had updated equipment.

My only complaint was the valet service. We sat in the valet line for literally 30 minutes with no movement whatsoever. I understand that they were quite busy and that the weather was awful, but there was no movement and no updates/reassurance from the valet staff. Also, when I asked for other garage options, I was brushed off and was offered no response.

The room was clean and spacious and very nice. The front desk staff were very helpful and moving quickly to accommodate the busy check-in time.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Even after the error that occurred with housekeeping. Jamie the on site manager acknowledge the error and provided solutions. The entire staff showed interest to assist at all time.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

breakfast left a lot to be desired compare to other Hampton inns across the country. no fridge in room and only one garbage can and that was in by the window, need one in bathroom. the mattress had a lump but was able to fall a sleep.

nice location when the construction is done

It was a low-hassle night on the road with a serviceable breakfast. Although I was put off by having to pay extra to valet the car, that ended up working quite smoothly.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The heater in our room was not working the first night. An engineer came to fix it, but it still didn't work. We were moved to another room the next morning, after spending a very cold night.

The Front Desk staff is always pleasant and helpful.

• King Room with Bath Tub- Hearing Accessible/ Non-Smoking

Now to the bad... I didn't like that the room didn't have a fridge or freezer (which I found out AFTER I bought a pint of ice cream from the hotel shop). I wish the staff was more upfront about the charges when you're checking in. I was informed about a security deposit of $30 was adding on to the total price but was refundable when checking out (which is totally fine) but I prefer to know about everything before I pay. Besides some minute things my stay was relaxing I had a great time.

The location of the hotel was awesome! It was only about a block away from movies, food, shopping, and ICE SKATING for the winter which was great. There's literally so much to do downtown so if you opt for public transportation (like me) it can be hard to find a hotel right in the mix of everything but the Hampton Inn pulled it off perfectly. The room size was also very nice and the beds were super comfortable and a continental breakfast was also included in our stay.

• King Room with Bath Tub- Hearing Accessible/ Non-Smoking

The parking situation was awful, absolutely WAS NOT emphasized while booking hotel. It created a whole dilemma and expense that was not expected. The ambiance of the hotel was ruined by the black guys constantly hanging around the lobby and inside and outside the front doors. Ruins your first impression of the hotel. Always someone there smoking too. The greasy breakfast sausage was hard to deal with.

Parking was annoying. You have to use the parking garage or valet. Which is fine on the weekend but during the week it’s an annoying hassle to walk the 1.5 blocks to the garage and search for your car.

Very clean and the room was spacious.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Room didn't not have a properly working heater (never heated up the room sufficiently); construction next door attributed to a bit of noise.

Location; Mr. Belay (valet) was very welcoming and was great with the kids.

Though most of the breakfast was very good, the fruit salad wasn't fresh.

The staff was outstanding, very pleasant, extremely helpful and knowledgeable.

I wish the pool were open 10am-10pm every day. There was a white stain on the chair in the room that grossed us out a bit.

The pool and hot tub are great and the room is a good value.

• King Room - Hearing/Mobile Access with Roll in Shower/ Non-Smoking

There was one female staff who was rather rude when we left on Monday afternoon. Just cold and no customer service skills whatsoever. The breakfast was not very good. Limited selection and the eggs were terrible.

I loved how close this was to everything. The gentleman that checked us in was very knowledgeable and friendly.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

breakfast could be better.

perfect for my purpose. i could find food, shop, bank within walking distance. no need to take a cab, subway or uber. really convenient.

• King Room with Bath Tub- Hearing Accessible/ Non-Smoking

Heater/ ac in room was very uneven in temperature. There was no wall thermostat so it cycled all night long very loudly. Admittedly we never complained, so it's partly our fault.

Decent location in downtown silver spring. Not too far from metro. Overall clean facility. Very grateful that they held our bags before checkin and after checkout.

OVER PRICED, STAYED AT DOUBLE TREE RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FRIDAY AND SATURDAY FOR $201 ...HAMPTON INN CHARGED ME $325 FOR SUNDAY AND MONDAY WITH LESSER QUALITY

Room decorations are pretty old and breakfast is pretty bad for an European.

Location is good if you have business in Silver Spring, but price/quality ratio is not that great... but that's maybe just Washington being really expensive.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The rooms were a little on the tattered side, our door looked like it had been forced open which made us uncomfortable. There were no other rooms available for us to switch. The parking situation is less than ideal, either pay $20 a day for valet or park and walk 3 blocks. There is MAJOR construction going on right raise the hotel, we stayed the weekend so they weren't working but I imagine that's a pain. The man working the pool was friendly, the hot tub was more like warm than hot.

The hotel was in a good location, close to shops and restaurants. The staff was helpful.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Parking was non existent and required off site parking at a fee. The area was a bit walkable but sketchy.

The breakfast was good with a variety to choose from each morning.

Old rooms badly needs renovation, bathroom was dirty, tiles around tub had mold in grout and water doesn't drain from the tub. Very poor Maintance n cleanlyness.

On check-in, the toiletries need replenishing, later, coffee was not replenished, towels on floor were not removed and replaced. The bed was not remade the next day. There was a sticky spot on the carpet near the TV/bureau furniture. The room was not up to the Hampton Inn standards that we have experienced in the past..

The valet attendants were extremely pleasant and helpful. Housekeeper attempted to help us with supplies the second day. She apologized and was very sweet. We like the Location, and we were allowed to check in early

Difficult to locate the hotel-the only sign was 11 stories up in an area of high rises. $20 a day for valet parking! We drove in stayed 3 nights using the metro during our entire stay and then drove out. Furniture was very worn/chipped. Elevators quite dirty.

Bed was comfy. Room was clean and quiet. Breakfast was good. Appreciated the lift to the metro station.

The most important role of any hotel is to provide a comfortable, peaceful rest. The bed and pillows allowed for restful sleep. The complementary breakfast was great and filling.

A/c unit was loud. Had trouble hearing the tv without making it much louder.

Good breakfast with an excellent variety of foods. Comfortable dining area.

Parking was expensive and off site or valet. A bit difficult to get in and out of the drop off area. It was very tight and busy.

Clean location with friendly staff. Easy walk to the metro and lots of restaurants in the area.

I had a difficult time finding the front of the hotel. There is construction nearby so that might have contributed to the issue.

Great location,close to the Metro station. The staff was amazing, SO helpful and positive.

• King Room with Bath Tub- Hearing Accessible/ Non-Smoking

For its highest rating on Booking and Kayak, the rooms completely needed new furniture. Everything was totally worn and it's suburban numbness was anything but relaxing. For more than $200 a night for a King Room, I expect more. Hampton runs thie risk of losing customers. Take some clues from smaller boutique hotels and AirBNB and reinvent your outdated brand. And I mean this in the spirit it's intended: the goal is to make things better not complain!

The breakfast.

n/a

A comfy hotel for a decent price in a convenient location. Can't ask for anything more. AND although we did not use it - an indoor pool often is something we like very much.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Everything was excellent.we thoroughly enjoy the property and your frontdesk staff Jamie was so warm and accommodating,we are looking forward for another visit in the near future.

• King Room with Bath Tub- Hearing Accessible/ Non-Smoking

1The hotel was easy to drive by 2To go bags not ready on time. 3One of the staff members wasn't too kind 4We couldn't open our curtain because construction was going on 5Upon check-in one should be told there are 2 hotels operating on the grounds to prevent confusion at meal time

1-Access to a variety of stores and eateries was great for a downtown, 2-most of the staff & the valets were SUPER! 3- Breakfast was okay, I'd like to see some turkey products for the non pork eaters

Valet was very, very rude. The loaded and unloading area is very tight space and we arrived in expedition truck packed with 2 infants and 2 children under 8. They weren't helpful with unloading, that's fine but kept rushing us to hurry up. The valet snapped on us on two separate occasions "guess you don't want valet then" was his response. This resulted in my husband parking a few blocks away in public garage. The rooms had a stale smell to it, and felt stuffy. The carpets were stained.

The concierge staff was nice. Had an issue with lack of portable cribs and assisted with obtaining play yards. Needed rooms to be connecting and they found us a pair by second day of our trip. The breakfast area was surprisingly never crowded and had a good selection of food. Very tasty. The staff was always so nice and kept area clean and well stocked.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The Front Desk personnel were wonderful. They were friendly, helpful and very pleasant. The proximity of the hotel to sites, restaurants, and the Metro is excellent.

HOW I HAD TO WAIT SO LONG FOR EXTRA TOWELS AND WASHCLOTHS N HOW I WAS TREATED DIFFERENT FROM THE OTHER RACE THAT STAYED EBERYTYME I ASKED FOR SOMTHING FROM THE FRONT DESK .

MY ROOM WAS OKAY WITH A NICE COMFORTABLE BED N T.V TO WATCH.

I wish there was a fridge in the room, and that I did not have to ask as often for coffee to be refilled.

Location was great, staff was very friendly and always helpful. Rooms were spacious and clean as well as comfortable.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

A little better information about the parking situations available. The gentleman valet was able to help me when we arrived but I felt at a loss to not have been I informed more beforehand.

The whole experience of staying there made us feel lucky to have found such an awesome place! You made our vacation that much more fantastic and we can't wait to stay there again!

No complaints.

The hotel was very clean like new, and the breakfast was great. It changed everyday that we ere there. The location is my favorite. Near a mall, Imax, many restaurants, and transportation in walking distance so we didn't have to drive our whole trip.

There was construction work next door so sometimes it was distracting.

It was close to relatives I was visiting. I Have stayed at other Hampton Inns and they were better. WE HAD TO request a refrigerator and microwave for the room. I enjoyed walking in the area.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

There is no fridge in the room. It is available upon request. There is no safe box in the room. You can store your stuff in a safe box in the front desk and have the key with you. The hotel was pretty far away from downtown DC.

Rooms were big enough. Free Coffee and Tea in the lobby 24 hours. Nice breakfast.

Parking options need to be better explained. Guests should be given the option of the public parking garage with directions & regulations. This information would entice more patrons.

The room was very quiet - very little noise from surrounding rooms, other guests or from outside was noticeable.

I did not get a reply to my complaints or any of the explanations for the unnecessarily deducted money from my account. I have emailed to the property the following message and no reply. "We have stayed in your hotel as in the attached document and we have fully covered all costs in cash on check out and hence on July 8, 2017 you have deduct from our visa account USD 115.54. Would you, please explain this on line charges. Best Regards," would you , please help me to get an explanation. Best Regards, Alemayehu Kidane Abu

I was not keen on off-premise parking. I was referred to the public garage for parking but was not told prior to my stay that there was no parking at the hotel. And you have to pay for it.

The bathroom was very clean and kept clean my entire stay. All staff was very friendly and helpful.

The valet parking was a nightmare the attendants were not organized. A flood of cars were parked near the entrance making it at times difficult to enter the hotel.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The carpet in our room seemed a little dirty. The cable television was very static ridden.

The hotel was nice. The atmosphere was amazing. The city lights at night were so bright and beautiful. Downtown has so many things to do and see. The staff were helpful and busy. The breakfast area was neat, clean and well organized. There were a few family reunions so a lot of people were in and out. The bathroom was spacious and clean. The pool was nice as well as the whirlpool

• King Room with Bath Tub- Hearing Accessible/ Non-Smoking

I didn't like that valet was $20 per night. There was no parking at the facility, and that you had to park around the corner and walk back to the hotel. Last thing I didn't like, there were no microwaves or refrigerators in the room. That would have been nice

Just about everything

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Entrance was hard to find/access from the road, shared check in area for 2 hotels, and only valet parking. Have to go up a few blocks to public garage. No mini fridge, no room service. If you're going to a game in FedEx field, try and stay closer. An estimated 25 minute trip actually took 80 minutes with traffic.

Staff was friendly (but stressed). Clean and spacious room. Had lots of shops and restaurants a few blocks up.

Room was very quiet. Breakfast was well stocked with lots of options and the staff monitored it well. Right around the corner from many restaurants. movie theater and Whole Foods and easy walk to the Red Line Metro so quick into downtown D.C.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

No fridge or microwave. The biggest complaint was the pool hours. Brought 4 kids and the pool didn't open the next morning until 10.

Great breakfast that was included! Spacious room and comfortable beds. We were there for a concert at the Filmore- walking distance- so this is why we selected this location.

The first room I was assigned was small, dirty, and contained a cleaning rag left on the nightstand by the maid. In addition, the furniture was extremely dented/scratched. I returned to the front desk to request another room. The front desk staff moved me to a larger room with newer looking furniture. Due to construction, only valet parking (costing $20) was available. Every time I walked outside, there were people smoking cigarettes since they could not smoke in the hotel.

The breakfast buffet included hot items like oatmeal, eggs, and sausage which was nice.

The cleanliness of the room was an issue. I spent most of the night trying to trap and kill a roach.

The staff at the hotel were exceptionally professional and nice.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Staff was very kind and helpful. I was alone, but I had a huge room with two beds. A big TV screen with various channels. Breakfast was very delicious (in American style). Every morning I was preparing waffle with delicious fruits and maple syrup. Hotel is located in the downtown of Silver Spring. You'll find there a lot of pubs, restaurants, cinema and shopping mall nearby. It is definitely worth of the price if you compare it with other hotels in Washington. To DC you'll have only 25 minutes by Metro, which is also very convenient.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

During our stay the following things occurred:1 of our rooms was not cleaned ( no DND sign was on the door and we were gone ALl day returning after 10pm. 1 guest was scratched and bleeding by an exposed nail/staple in the ottoman, and my son(12 yrs) and I were stuck on the elevator

Staff were nice and helpful

parking was not great, if you don't valet park for $20 a day, you have to park several blocks away

Breakfast selection was very good. Even though it was an extremely busy holiday week, items were kept well stocked. King room was HUGE!