Reviews of Hampton Inn & Suites Albany-Downtown 3 stars

25 Chapel Street, Albany, NY 12210, USA

#17 of 40 hotels in Albany

Lovely clean hotel
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Accessible

No complaints. Room was lovely and clean.

The hotel is in a great location, very easy to access the centre of Albany with good bars and restaurants nearby. It is great value for money with an all you can eat breakfast. We would highly recommend it 😊

Will return!
    • Queen Room

Breakfast, when travelers were done eating needed more staff to wipe down tables and counters.

The bed and pillows very comfy!! Nice assortment of breakfast items.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Fitted the bill for a quick stopover and had no problems
    • Queen Studio

Quite basic and the area at night could have been better

Value for money, all you needed for short stopover and very helpful staff - easy to park at rear of hotel and not too expensive

A good place to stay
    • Queen Room

costly parking even on weekends (but found a nearby free street parking so did not have to pay).

Easy to find (good location), clean and comfortable (best beds), good breakfast

• King Room with Study

The room was in a terrible location. I booked a king room with a study and only received a regular king room. Not sure where the study was!

The staff on the front desk were extremely helpful and welcoming.

The room was very spacious and clean.
    • Queen Studio

The elevator was troublesome and the WI-FI was weak. I believe that parking should be included in the rate.

The room was very spacious and clean. Beds were great. Nice shower .

Just fine
    • Queen Room

Breakfast area was very crowded . And they would not give me an invoice for the stay. Said it had to come from Booking. First time that has happened.

Staff was very helpful.. Location was great- could walk to everything in the downtown area. The restaurant, casual, was very good.

Sparkling clean place without pool.
    • Queen Room

To my daughter's disappointment there was no pool. We also had to pay 14.95 per day for parking.

Rooms were clean and breakfast was excellent. Front desk staff was efficient and pleasant. Lady working at the breakfast bar was also efficient and kept the place running well. Location was very good as it is within walking distance to many good restaurants.

A very enjoyable stay in comfortable hotel
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Accessible

The location of property so close to Main Street and state buildings. Large room , comfortable bed lovely breakfast. Tea and coffee all day in lobby. Rooms cleaned everyday. Lovely soap

We really enjoyed our stay and are looking forward to going back.
    • King Room with Study

Paying for parking, unless it's a weekend. Staff pointed out that on street parking is free on the weekends, if you can find a spot. Slamming doors from nearby rooms.

The location to bars, restaurants, and points of interest was great. The staff was very friendly and check in was easy. The breakfast was very good. Bathroom was clean.

We had our dog with us so this was an accommodating lodging...
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Accessible

Busy breakfast area. Not sure what can be done about that. It would have been better if there was more staff to wipe down the tables.

We had our dog with us so this was an accommodating lodging for us.

10/10, we loved

Everything was great, we liked all, everything clean, the staf was nice, the localization nice and comfortable, the room we loved....

Yes, we try to visit again soon

Overall I had a great stay and I look forward to returning to the Hampton Inn.
    • Queen Room

The bathroom didn't have a floor mat.

The Staff members were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good, I wish they would have used another breakfast meat besides pork, maybe all beef or turkey.

My stay was good wish breakfast had more to offer
    • King Suite with Spa Bath

My room had a bad smell to it am check in guy did not tell us how to work elevator had to go ask after elevator did not mobe

I love the bed nice an comfortable and the room had a lot of space

Nice pl
    • King Room with Study

The pillows are awful. I slept on the sleeper sofa, which was comfortable, but they only brought one flat feather like pillow, my neck still is in very bad shape

I would recommend to anyone with in walking distance to everything .
    • Queen Room

I did not like that they did not tell us the in the elevator you needed use your room key we had no idea how to make it work..Did not tell us how to get our car from valet in morning ..and did not seem to know much about where to go or places to eat . also did not tell us what time breakfast was had to call find out in morning . But all in all was a nice stay for two nights.

This hotel was very quiet.. clean Breakfast was good .. always hot coffee

Very clean.
    • King Room with Study

There were lights on outside our room (on the roof area of another portion of the building) our curtains did not close all the way and we had to rig a way to keep them closed. Of course we found in the morning there was another curtain hidden in the back we could have closed. This is probably our fault but maybe it could have been made more obvious.

Very clean. Nice that the sink was actually in the bathroom, many recent rooms we stayed in it was outside of the bathroom...weird.

We like HMPTON INNS!
    • King Room with Study

The staff was extremely helpful, and the breakfast omelette delicious. Fast walk to great restaurants, staff recommended, and the Rock and Roll Museum.

Nice tub, no customer service, expensive inconvenient parking.
    • King Suite with Spa Bath

I had a mistake in my booking dates. I was assured that it was an easy fix, no problem... but no one working all weekend could fix it. I was assured that the GM Mr. Hemmid would help me as soon as he returned from vacation. I sent three emails and called several times, leaving messages. No one has returned my calls, no one has returned my emails, I have been charged $200 extra for a “minor” problem that should be an “easy” fix. On top of this, several light fixtures in out room were not functional, our keys were all cancelled the second dayand we had no access to wifi (because of the aforementioned “minor” problem). Booking.com has ALSO not returned my emails on this subject.

We upgraded our room to a king suite with spa tub. The tub was the best part of the trip. The breakfast was pretty good, lots of variety. The porter and buffet staff were very kind and patient with our baby.

Fantastic location and superior comfort & cleanliness
    • Queen Room

Drapes should close all the way, for us cave-dwellers who like total darkness.

Loved the mattress quality and the bed linens, the faux bamboo flooring, the all-enclosed shower, and the quietude.

Albany N.Y. trip
    • King Studio Suite - Non-Smoking

The parking fee was $14.75 daily, valet only, & behind the hotel! For $255.36 per night. The parking should be complimentary!

Walking distance to the state capital buildings.

Made the trip to Albany for the exam that bit less stressful.
    • Queen Room

The breakfast was great,always options for whatever you may fancy on that day. It was different every day which was nice considering my trip was for the Bar Exam. The whole stay was great and the staff are so friendly and helpful. This is my second time staying here and I would recommend it whether you're staying for the exam, business or leisure.

It was a great stay and I would recommend this hotel.
    • King Room with Study

That I had to pay for parking at the hotel even though I was a guest but that wasn’t a huge deal.

The location was great within walking distance to everything we wanted. The room was great, the bed was super comfortable.

EXCELLENT location especially if your visiting the Palace Theater ! It' an easy walk with no driving
    • King Room with Study

The spot light right outside of room 211 shined into our room all night and looked like the sun was shining outside. Not a nice view.

The room heating and air conditioning actually worked GREAT! The thermostat controlled the room temperature +/- 1 degree and it didn't make a whole lot of noise!

We enjoyed our stay, just wish the parking issue was not an issue!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Accessible

Paying for parking is a true minus after you've already paid for your room! This should be included in the price of the room. We actually ended up paying twice as we were so tired from events we didn't realize we'd already paid at checkout!!

Love the location of this hotel and the staff was extremely helpful. Thank you especially to Earvin. The beds are very comfortable and breakfast is ready very early to accomodate every schedule! We truly appreciated this. The hotel is also quite close to some very good restaurants.

We arrived at the hotel late in the evening and was told the...
    • Queen Room

We arrived at the hotel late in the evening and was told the parking lot was full. We had to drive around the city in the ice to find a parking spot on the street. Completely unacceptable

Perfect Mini Getaway
    • King Suite with Spa Bath

The atmosphere of the hotel and the surrounding area is a perfect place to enjoy downtown Albany. My room was spacious and I enjoyed the whirlpool tub in my room.

ok but watch your invoice!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Accessible

I didn't like that they billed me an undocumented $25.00 on my bank card that was never explained nor does it show up on any invoicing. They wont answer the number listed at this location for customer service either so i'm sure the staff gets tired of taking the heat for this deceptive practice. I'll try Hilton Customer service see where that gets me.

over all a good experience but shiesty billing practices.

Location good for going to palace

Gave us handicap room with open shower so got another room shower did not work . Third room good but street light shined in room and shown through curtain hard to sleep room 208.

Location good for going to palace

Nice big rooms, good breakfast and nice location.
    • King Accessible Roll in Shower Non-Smoking

Terrible shower design. Big bathroom with walk in shower but they located the showerhead in such a way to make the shower a bad experience.

Nice big rooms, good breakfast and nice location. Very good hotel restaurant/bar.

Will be back there again and again. Yono great restaurant
    • King Room with Study

Valet could take car at hotel front door instead of driving around to it.

Love the location. Use it all the time when we see things at the Palace Theater so we don't have to drive back to Lk Geo late. Love the breakfast they offer for free. Staff very helpful. Great restaurant

a disappointment to say the least.
    • King Suite with Spa Bath

bed was unmade, with dirty linens AFTER waiting for an hour past check in to get the room. room was dirty and there was 1 waste basket in a 2 room suite. ZERO glasses or stemware in a jacuzzi room!!!??? no room service, parking costs $15, and the breakfast was ok. overall a huge disappointment. but... the front desk folks were very pleasant, I don't blame them.

spa tub worked well.

WORST SERVICE over than that no problems.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Accessible

Parking. I was never told at check in parking cost an extra $15 which I was not charged until after my stay. Also the parking was well stated to us. As soon as we parked we were told to hand our keys over to someone with aposulty no hotel logos on. I had an issue with this because I was never told this at check in. This all should be told at check in. not hidden from guests. If the cost for parking and the need for hotel to take your keys were shared with me, their would be no problem. But there was a problem. I had to get to my car. And the hotel lost my car keys. They found them. But the fact that they lost my keys means maybe they should re think their "hotel Policy" When I was fighting the front desk about my keys being gown I told them to call the parking attendant who conveniently just left. He said "I am trying to deal with you right now" and he was not even doing a good job. How do you think I am going to act when you lost my keys. The staff was by far the WORST HOTEL STAFF I HAVE EVER COME ACROSS. Albany is defiantly the least friendliest city I have ever been to.

I like that it was a hotel that had all the standard amenities.

Nice place ... but
    • Queen Room

We were overcharged $20 -- didn't notice until later. A few little things like no listing of TV channels provided ...

Nice hotel, helpful staff. Great rooms, super location.

Comfortable beds and friendly staff, especially breakfast...
    • Queen Room

Comfortable beds and friendly staff, especially breakfast staff. Good location, close to bars. No bar on site. Hotel parking very expensive so managed to get street parking for weekend which was free.

Probably would stay elseware next visit. Rooms were limited at this time.
    • Queen Room

TV major networks did not work (NBC,CBS, ABC). No signal. Room was sparse compared to other Hamptons. Location is challenging. Very little space to park and check in. Free breakfast was satisfactory. Generic cereal - no brand names. No plain low fat yogurt - all of them were sugar laden. No bananas.

Bed was comfortable, shower and amenities were good. Front desk was quick and efficient. Parking was easy but expensive.

Convenient, comfortable, nice place to stay.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Accessible

This trip was a gift for someone and the staff at the hotel when I called , assured me I would be the one charged by booking .com and NOT the hotel guest staying at the hotel. The guest was charged by the hotel and I had to reimburse them. They were also unable to eat at the restaurant , lines were too long, they found another place in town.

Rooms were nice, location convenient, late check out time if needed.

It was ok to good - but for what I paid, I did expect more.
    • Queen Room

I reserved three rooms and paid for one room and there was no parking spot for me upon my arrival. Guests should be guaranteed spots with a pass. I had to park multiple blocks away and carry our stuff in. The toilet and sink backed up early in the morning. The hot food and cold drinks ran out for an extended period of time on Sunday morning at breakfast during peak checkout time, which created significant inconvenience. For what I paid for a single night, it seemed a bit pricey!

Convenience of location to the Times Union Center. Had my teenage son there, it was very family friendly,

Great location, good facilities

We had a really noisy neighbour slamming doors and playing music until 2 am. Phoned front desk twice who said they'd send security but nothing happened. When the noise started again at 6.30 my other half spoke direct to neighbour. Not strictly hotel's fault but they could have been more proactive perhaps

Downtown Albany so easy to walk to everything. Staff very friendly and efficient (although see below). Nice breakfast with fruit, oatmeal and eggs & bacon etc.

Great!
    • Queen Room

Breakfast was fine, but coffee needed a light roast and Organic choice.

Parking was fine, but we got the second to last spot- with a crowd behind us, so limited: Could have been an issue.

It was very clean, the beds were comfortable and it was...
    • Queen Room

I wasn't crazy that you had to pay for parking and they didn't allow me to use AAA discount when I arrived. You have to call ahead to use AAA discount.

It was very clean, the beds were comfortable and it was within walking distance to the Times Union Center.

Average
    • King Room with Study

Right by elevator..noisy, parking was $15, no extra toilet paper in the room...just a little on the roll that was there. No ice bucket or glasses

We really liked the restaurant attached to the property

Not good.
    • Queen Room

Everything from the check-in to breakfast and the rooms everything is pathetic, unclean and unhygienic. The bed is most uncomfortable and hard.

Comfortable and convenient.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Accessible

Had to pay for parking, but nice to now the car was safe off of the street.

Good price for great location, Hampton Inns are always dependable for comfortable rooms and good service.

Very good. Staff especially welcoming and friendly
    • Queen Room

Bed covering was far too thick and blanket found in closet wasn't very nice. Much prefer layering covers with sheet. If I were picky --- there was a nice downtown view to be had but the windows were dirty.

Very accessible as we were traveling and it was a good...

We didn't find a place to eat at the breakfast lounge, its too small

Very accessible as we were traveling and it was a good choice for an overnight sleep after a long dry

Don't use booking.com they are a rip off.
    • Queen Room

I will never use booking.com again. The booking website falsely advertised this hotel as having an indoor pool which is one of the main reasons I booked it and the hotel had no pool. I could also have gotten a cheaper rate by calling the hotel directly.

Free breakfast was good

The location is good, the staffs are good
    • King Room with Study

They didn't cleaned the room when we artived at night , the towels are still wet and the key was not working

The location is good, the staffs are good

Very comfortable room, but breakfast area way too small
    • Queen Studio

The breakfast room is way too small and the staff couldn't keep up with demand. The parking is valet only which was confusing without clear signs.

The room was huge! We booked a two-Queen room which also had a double sofa bed, a small kitchen and acres of space which was perfect with our two under-fives. The beds were very comfortable.

It was an excellent hotel stay!
    • Queen Room

The neighboring room had their TV very loud. Not Hamptons fault.

The room was pristine! Staff was very efficient and professional. Breakfast staff was lovely.

Taken advantage of for profit
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Accessible

I was in Albany purely to take the Bar exam. This hotel raised prices and required a minimum 3 night stay. After numerous conversations on the phone I learned that the minimum was instituted solely because they knew we had to be there because of the Bar and so exploited us. I begged them to let me do two nights - I'm starting a public interest legal career with a non profit so am paying all Bar expenses on my own which are a lot. I would hope a hotel would be accommodating but instead I felt completely taken advantage of because it was the only hotel available.

Convenient for brief overnight stop on road trip.
    • Queen Room

Bathroom door did not close, unable to get picture on TV + needed to replace key as first one did not work.

Easy to get to from interstate, free breakfast.

Good hotel, bad parking
    • Queen Room

Had to ask for towels a couple times as there were only 2 towels in room for three of us. Ended up having to share towels. Parking is horrendous and you have to pay for terrible experience. Only one parking attendant. Line was backed out down the street. Someone just left car once in lot because so slow and knew they'd eventually move it. I had to go get manager to help park cars. In morning husband ask parking attendant to have ready in 45 minutes as couldn't be late for sons game. It was not ready by then and had to wait another 15 minutes so we were late when we had tried to be proactive and get car in plenty of time.

Hotel itself was nice with good breakfast.

I was very disappointed. Surprised since I have stayed at Hampton Inn & Suites Previously.
    • Queen Room

The toilet in my room was not working properly. I reported it twice and still needed to lift the tank lid to fix the ball which was not allowing the tank to fill as it needed to be manually pushed down. This is not something that I would expect to do when paying to stay in a reputable hotel.

I liked the location, the staff was pleasant.

The bed are amazingly comfortable!
    • Queen Room

We had to ask for more toilet paper. There was a quarter roll when we checked in. With the money we paid, we shouldn't have had to ask.

The bed are amazingly comfortable!

Stay away, walls are not soundproof, horrible staff
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Accessible

The walls are not soundproof at all. Also, I felt unsafe as someone staying in the next room tried to barge into my room through the connecting door. Worst of all, this place tried to charge $200+ more than what I booked for. Had I not checked my bank account, I would not have known until days after I checked out. When I complained, they told me I should contact Booking.com about it. Booking.com customer service sorted out everything, but I am extremely unhappy about the way the hotel told me to sort it out. If there is miscommunication between a booking site and the hotel, it's not the customer who should resolve it/get penalized.

Complimentary, warm breakfast every morning

Excellent location, nice spot for an overnight on our way through.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Accessible

Valet parking is always inconvenient...they were great and responsive, etc...but it's just easier when you can park your own car and not have to deal with valet parking.

Staff were very helpful.

Don't bother if you have a dog with you.
    • King Accessible Roll in Shower Non-Smoking

Pet fee was $75. Non refundable. Made me want to have my dog pee on the floor, because what the heck?! That's too much, and unreasonable. $75 deposit I'd understand. My dog is better behaved and cleaner than other people's children- do they have a $75 fee for children? No. Ridiculous.

Bed very comfortable

Okay
    • Queen Room

Travelling with children, booked two rooms, were seperated by two different floors. The manager came the next morning was able to accommadate us by at least by putting us on the same floor. If someone books 2 rooms there should be some common sense that they want to stay close or next to each other, especially when they specify the ages of children that they are travelling with.

Room was clean, staff was friendly, breakfast buffet was good

No pool
    • Queen Room

my complaint about the property has to do with the information you provided. I was traveling with my young daughter. Her only request was that hotel had a pool. The information your website gave indicated property had a pool and spa. However, hotel did not have a pool. My daughter was extremely disappointed. If we would had stayed more then one night it really would have been an issue for us you should update your website!

very clean, nice size rooms. In a great location for attending palace theater.

Never been to a hotel where you had to pay for parking.
    • Queen Room

Never been to a hotel where you had to pay for parking.the whole valet thing took to much time gate in and out wasn't reading room key.had to wait for car.and to top it off there is no pool

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

The long and short of Hampton Inn & Suites Albany New York
    • King Room with Study

Although the kitchenette area is big it seems to be a waste of space after the desk was moved away from it. It then makes the living room and bedroom area somewhat tight also leaving no drawer space. It was a lot nicer before the remodeling by new owner. Also the breakfast should be extended by one hour till 11 a.m.

The kitchenette area was nice , free breakfast was good.

Great hotel would stay again.
    • Queen Room

Having to pay an additional $15 per day to park at this hotel.

Original room AC did not work, staff was right on it. Gave us a new larger room right away to accommodate us for the inconvenience.

Enjoying Albany - yes!

There was nothing we didn't like - really.

Staff was top-notch - pleasant, helpful, and professional (This was most apparent when they were confronted with some not-nice guests).

Great except for early unwanted early morning wake
    • Queen Room

My room was two floors above the gym and there was a cross fit competition in town so every morning at 5:30-6am I was awoken to weights being used and dropped - it shook the whole room and the staff was unable to locate the noise so I found the gym was below my room - funny they were unable to figure this out on their own- Note to hotel: either. Enter insulate the room or disallow use of weights.

Everything was great -Room Clean and large - bed super comfortable- staff very nice and accommodating - breakfast good

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

Ok
    • Queen Studio

No pool for kids. Front desk Person not good. He said no pizza places delivered to hotel as a delivery guy showed up for a delivery. This pissed me off

Room clean. Good breakfast

Great location!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Accessible

There was no hair dryer in the bathroom but one was brought to the room within minutes after calling the front desk

Great location! Near excellent restaurants! Very helpful staff!

Not as dog friendly as they claim
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Accessible

Services were slow to nonexistent. Asked for another box of Kleenex, got it in an hour. Asked for another pillow, NEVER got it. If you are traveling with a pet be aware there is NO grassy area around the property, nor on the surrounding streets. There is no restaurant affiliated with th hotel, there is one attached, though. Very pricey. No room service.

Free breakfast was ok, hotel was clean

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

Perfect stay for a concert downtown, complaints minor and could be easily remedied.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Accessible

My complaints are minor and could be easily remedied, I would suggest reading what we liked about our stay first. The property appears to be undergoing some renovation; one of the two elevators was out of order the night we stayed, but it was a Sunday night and slow, so did not cause any issues. Parking behind the hotel was convenient, but I was led to believe that parking was included in the room rate by the information on this website. In fact there was a $15 fee, which is more what I expected for a downtown area, the information should be updated so that is clear. There was a spider in the room that scared my daughter, so that should be attended to. The refrigerator and the air conditioning were both off when we came into the room. While the AC cooled the room down quickly, the refrig could not. These complaints, while many, are minor and could be easily remedied. Overall we were very pleased.

Our room was more than comfortable for three adults, and clean. We stayed one night after a concert, and the location was perfect for that. After checking in, we asked where we could get a quick dinner. It was a Sunday night and very few places are even open then in downtown Albany. A member of the staff named Wallace suggested several places, even gave us walking directions, and we chose the Irish pub about two blocks away. Many choices, all of us were satisfied with dinner. This property is within about five blocks of many concert venues; the Palace, the Egg, etc. so that worked out very well. There were a lot of choices for breakfast: hot and cold cereal, the usual "carbohydrate" selections, waffles, sausage, small quiches, yogurt, fruit, etc. and decent coffee. More than adequate for the included breakfast at hotels like this, and the dining area was spacious. This place is just off the entrance/exit ramp for Interstate 787, so that is more than convenient as well. Overall, this was an excellent choice for a one night stay after a concert, I would recommend it.

The valets in the parking lot were very friendly and...
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Accessible

The parking seemed a little pricey at $15 a day extra.

The valets in the parking lot were very friendly and helpful when my driver side window would not go up on its own.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Pay to park?

Very unhappy that I had to pay $15.00 to park at the hotel I paid to stay at! That should be part of the price I was quoted on line, not a hidden fee. Never heard of this in my life. I

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

Jackson Browne trip
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Accessible

Options were very limited as dishes were empty on Sunday morning...potatoes empty, Canadian bacon empty, oatmeal empty. Had to ask for coffee as pots were empty. We were there before 9, so it wasn't like it was the end of the timeframe. Monday morning was better.

• Reviewed: 3 April 2017

Nice hotel, poor customer service
    • Queen Room

When we arrived, staff was arguing with another customer about previous payment disputes. Staff then gave me a difficult time because I needed to leave early, prior to the time that someone is available at the valet station to return my keys. Additionally, there was not enough room for parking and it was poorly organized. We had to wait in line for about 30 minutes before we were able to park. Our room was beautiful but it was a joint room (connected by a single door and lock) with people that we did not know directly next to us. The people in the room next to us were talking late, which was fine, except that we could hear everything they were saying and couldn't sleep. It was not the quests fault as they were just speaking at a normal volume, but because our rooms were connected it was impossible for us to sleep.

The location was great and the room itself was extremely nice.

The breakfast was very good, the size of the room very...
    • Queen Studio

The AC too noisy, the lady at the front desk not too friendly, the room was ready at 245.

The breakfast was very good, the size of the room very confortable for traveling with kids (I got the suite)

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

Nice place to stay.
    • Queen Room

Had to valet park and pay extra

Hotel was nice and breakfast was very good. Staff was friendly. Stayed there so we could walk to times union center for a concert. Was worth not having to fight traffic.