Reviews of Hampton Inn and Suites Austin-Downtown 3 stars

200 San Jacinto Boulevard, Austin, TX 78701, USA

#69 of 179 hotels in Austin

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

Nice location, good breakfast.
    • King Studio with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Nice place, but the "suite" was way too small.... a bathroom sink within 10 feet of bed does not constitute a suite. It was all one room and overpriced for the size of the room and amenities.

Nice location, good breakfast.

Bad WiFi
    • King Room High Floor- Non-Smoking

The fridge leaked. The bed only came with a super hot blanket. The AC and ice machine very loud. Very expensive for mediocre room. Most of all, the WiFi was atrocious- I could barely send an email. it kept disconnecting. They say you can pay for faster internet but I already paid $270/night

Happy hour from M-Th was nice

Love staying at this property, will stay again in the future!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Came down to breakfast 30 minutes to close and items had already been put away.

The bed & pillows were amazing! Room was very clean. The staff was extremely nice.

we want for a convention and this location was the best, also 6th street wasn't far either.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

the pool was a little small but was still good.

the breakfast was great and the gym was awesome, the bed was comfortable also the staff was over the top best. the location was really great everything was walking distant.

Very plain decor overall. I think I had higher expectations, given the hotel's location.

I liked this hotel's location. It's across The street from from some great restaurants, bars, and the lake. Breakfast is good, and the rooms are clean. Roomy bathroom.

I'll look elsewhere next time.
    • King Studio with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Pull out sofa bed was horrible and we had to ask for a blanket for it. Wi-Fi was also bad and the AC couldn't keep up. The room service left trash around the room. We were overall disappointed for this price range.

The location and front desk staff were nice.

Hampton Inn and Suites will be my go-to choice from now on.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable. The water pressure in the shower was excellent. Everything was very clean. The bathroom vanity area and the shower was very ergonomic with plenty of space for all of my stuff. There was a free happy hour in the late afternoon which was a pleasant surprise and the breakfast was excellent!

overall great experience

the free breakfast area was a disaster after the onslaught of people trying to get the free food. The aftermath (over filled garbage cans, bathrooms on that same level, etc) were slow to get cleaned up after the free food time frame was over. Seeing all that makes it a bit unsettling when trying to use that area to visit with friends /family.

overall great experience

Overall, enjoyed my stay, very happy with the comfort and convenience of the location.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Didn't have a nice window view of outside surroundings. Not a big deal though.

Attended business at the Austin Convention Center, thus perfect location to walk. Variety of restaurant choices within walking distance made meal choices simple & convenient. Breakfast available every morning was great perk with comfortable seating indoor and outdoor balcony options. Nice touch with snack & bottled water bag To-Go ready daily. Easy taxi, Uber or Lyft pick-up/drop off 11 miles from Austin airport. Rooms comfortable, clean, with refrigerator perk. Not all rooms will give you a window view as some face the parking structure, but still provided outside light during the day. Fitness facility and small pool with outdoor lounging provided a nice space to exercise or relax when you found some extra time to partake. All the staff was friendly and helpful when needed.

It was a good place to stay if you are going to the convention center.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Pool was too cold to enjoy.

I did enjoy the breakfast as you have a lot of options, additionally they have a complimentary mini happy hour with chips and dips.

The location was perfect!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The cool water system they use for the aircondioting. We had to move rooms thinking that would help but did not. We kept it set on 65 and it never really cooled off and was a bit uncomfortable.

The location was perfect! And everything was clean and the staff was friendly and helpful.

The location and people were
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

There was no hot water, so I had to take a super cold shower. The a/c had something wrong with it and The room would go from very cold to very hot again and again.

Location location location

Noise factor We could hear everything going on around our room

Great location...good value for price, breakfast was okay, staff was very friendly and helpful

The shower was great.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The HVAC in the room was very loud, but since I live in a big city it seemed like white noise - but I think others would have been annoyed. Otherwise I thought it was a great location and good value.

The shower was great. The bed was comfy.

They didn't have my rooms so that they gave me other...
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

They didn't have my rooms so that they gave me other accommodations, we were 7 with a baby included and we ended up sleeping in sofabeds. Probably last time I'm using booking, it was like not having any reservation at all.

horrible didnt feel comfortable

nasty blood sheets (unclean linen upon arrival. Parking fees

blood stains on sheets when we first checked into the hotel(unclean linen), when we pulled sheets back was not in room 5 minutes. i made a video and took pictures, the attendant changed room but wasn't courteous at all.

Breakfast was good.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Check in was at 4 pm. Need earlier check in times. Beds were small for my wife and I. The picture gives the impression that these were queen size beds, not double beds, and that there was a microwave in the room. This was not the case.

Breakfast was good.

great location and nice room. Can’t complain.

Breakfast left a lot to be desired. That’s one of the most important things at a hotel. Supposedly there’s a pool, but it isn’t advertised. I only saw in the elevator on the last day. I didn’t know beforehand so didn’t bring trunks or have time to use it anyway.

Location and large, comfortable room

Good
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

I didn’t like that the housekeeper didn’t leave more than 1 clean hand towel for two ppl sharing a room. I also didn’t care too much for the $37/day fee for parking my car. Their should be cheaper parking. I guess that’s what made the rate for this hotel seem cheaper than others.

Breakfast was good and I enjoyed the outside eating area.

Would stay again. Be prepared to fork over 37.00 plus tip for valet parking.

The door would not shut all the way. We could push it to shut to lock. It still would fall back into the room open. This made it very noisy. We were right at the stairway and doors slammed all night,

As usual, the breakfast is a wonderful feast. Valet parking is pricey but convenient.

Adequate.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Staff was not very responsive. Front desk staff seemed bored and not on top of their game. It was as if they wanted to be somewhere else and really didn’t care that the guest IS the guest. Our room did not get serviced on one of the days, even after a specific request. They did deliver some fresh towels after a second request. They also adjusted our bill.

Facility is recently renovated and feels very new.

I'd happily stay again
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Shame there wasn't a bar outside happy hour. Light in bathroom flickered unpleasantly (even after they changed the tube).

Nice rooms, good breakfast, happy hour complimentary drinks and snacks, friendly staff, clean, quiet rooms.

The location was convenient

The cleanliness of the hotel was bad. My room had hair left in it from the previous guest. I asked for late checkout at 1pm and the maid came barging in at 10:30am while I was practically naked trying to get dressed. It was very embarrassing and I didn’t appreciate it at all.

The location was convenient

Overall very enjoyable.
    • King Studio with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

House keeping was a little lax. I had spilled a beverage on the bedsheet my first night. I removed the sheet from the bed and rinsed it and folded it up and placed it on a chair to be taken away. It was taken away but a new sheet was never placed back on the bed over the 4 day stay. Also on the second to last night at the hotel, housekeeping did not even clean the room.

Pretty much everything but especially the location.

Great location, nice room

The breakfast was poor quality. Same garbage food served at budget hotels everywhere. A shame, considering the spacious, comfortable and beautiful breakfast room, with a balcony that you could sit on. The only parking is valet parking at a high price. Need to have a self-parking option that is better priced.

Quiet, comfortable room. Great location near Lady Bird Lake and 6th Street nightlife.

Comfortable and clean - very good value for money
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Lobby looks fairly run-down and does not reflect the overall quality of the hotel. Pool is very small. Typical American breakfast of average quality.

Rooms are spacious, upgraded and clean. Staff was very welcoming and helpful. WiFi was fast, but need to login every 24h on all connected devices. Very good value for money for Austin Downtown.

Other than the locked bathroom door, our stay at the hotel was absolutely superb!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Our bathroom door got locked, due to a faulty deadbolt, and two of my guests were stuck in the bathroom for 45 minutes. This was very upsetting for all of us, especially the ones trapped inside. They began to panic heavily. We were very thankful for the police officer that was on the property, for helping my guests out of there.

I loved the breakfast variety that was offered. The bedding and room layout was absolutely comfortable

Cozy and convenient

nothing in particular

We enjoyed the fact that as we arrived someone was already there to take our car to valet parking, helped us to take our stuff out of the car. Check in took a couple of minutes, she asked us what type of room/floor we were looking to have a pleasant stay. The bed was very comfortable,enough clean towels,clean room .So we got what we asked for .

Super close to the Convention Center!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The thermostat ran a bit high, but it was 100 degrees everyday, so that might've had something to do with it.

The staff was very welcoming and even held our bags for half a day after we checked out so we could explore Austin a little more before we left for the airport. The location was amazing, being just a block away from the convention center. Any way you walked there was food and it wasn't very far from the infamous 6th street, if you feel like going out for a night on the town. The room was pretty spacious and the beds were comfortable. There were plenty of plugs for all of your charging needs, which was so nice!

Austin Hampton Inn is awesome !

More shade ( umbrellas or Fabric triangles ) on pool deck

Hilton properties are famous for their comfort beds... a great nights sleep. Location is best , only 2 blocks to the "Bat Bridge" & convention center . Nice 4th floor pool

Great stay! Will use this again!

There needs to be a little more lighting outside. We had people asking for money outside the hotel. Didn't like that. But I did notice it was all over downtown, we encountered elsewhere.

Great location! It was very nice and clean. Staff was amazing. Loved the pillows!!! Want some! We had a great time. There was a little construction in the breakfast area- but it was fine. Breakfast was good.

City Hotel in a good location
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Narrow beds if you share a bed. (We were a family of 3 adults who shared a room with 2 beds). Good valet parking but always a bit expensive.

Good and clean room that includes American breakfast. A ten minute walk to the Congress Avenue Bridge and the Bats and about 20 minutes walk to the State Capitol. Restaurants are nearby. Nice and helpful staff.

Convenient and Comfortable...
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

I was disappointed that the hotel didn't accept AAA discount on the room. The reason given was because it was booked through, "Booking.com". The $50.00 holding fee (on the room) that is not charged, unless hotel deems necessary. That was the first time I was charged this alleged deposit "holding-fee" with any Hampton Hotel. Lastly, the lack of on-site parking unless car is valet parked which (in my opinion) was too expensive at $37.00 + gratuity.

Central location of the hotel, cleanliness of the room, extra hotel amenities and of course the complimentary breakfast which consisted of many different varieties of items; and, is a primary reason I chose to stay at the Hampton Hotels across the country.

Great hotel, poor parking.

There is no public parking unless you want to park your vehicle on the street which is in sparse supply, and valet service (which is almost unavoidable) is steep at $38/day.

Welcoming staff and nice sized rooms made for a comfortable stay.

First trip to beautiful Austin

We were not prepared for a 15% tax on an already expensive room and we were not informed of the valet charge for parking.

Ramon and all the staff were helpful and always smiling. We loved the location.

Ripoff
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds with Bath Tub - Hearing Accessible/Non-Smoking

Hampton austin still holding our checkin deposit in case we charged anything to our room.....well we didnt, room was already paid for ......we didnt smoke in our room ....its been 10 days $198 were very unhappy about this edward jolley

By

Location was great and staff was super friendly.

Parking was $37 a night which is crazy. And I wish there was some sort of covered area by the pool.

Location was great and staff was super friendly. Bed was incredibly comfortable.

3.5
    The bed was comfortable, but sleep was impossible with the...
    • King Room - Disability Access/Roll in Shower

I would not stay at this hotel again. First, it's in the bar district of Austin and had loud rowdy inebriated guests yelling and screaming in their room and hallway. They woke me up twice, and apparently also disturbed another guest who told them to be quiet. They said, "Dude, are you the police? The guest said, "No man, I'm just trying to get some sleep!" You could hear every word with the door shut. I had to keep my tv on low to try to drown out the noise. I did not appreciate having to pay a $50. up front charge to cover the valet expense ($37.00) and any other miscellaneous charges I "might" make. I just hope to get the difference returned to me. The bed was comfortable, but my room was supposed to have a roll-in shower (room 409). It had a regular bathtub with an adjustable faucet. The bath size was spacious with assistance handles. The included breakfast was not good; their was a long line at the waffle stand; plastic utensils; the eggs were gone by 9:30, and when more eventually came out, they looked and tasted like powdered eggs so we couldn't eat them. Likewise, the cinnamon rolls "tasted funny" according to my granddaughter who stayed in room 403. They also heard all the noise and crude language from the drunken guests on the other end of the hallway. The pool was a rooftop small lap pool...in my opinion, it was not appropriate for children. We stayed in downtown Austin to visit the Capital and see the bats. I was very disappointed. The room was a typically appointed hotel room, nothing fancy for the price.

The bed was comfortable, but sleep was impossible with the noisy guests.

Pleasant stay at The Hampton Inn

Parking prices. Small pool.

Linens and bed were clean and comfortable. Upgraded to a suite with more space with no problem. Staff was courteous and patient.

Great stay!

The property was clean, quiet and in a great location that was close to all the nice restaurants, bars and other sights. Breakfast bar was very good. The front desk staff accommodated my early arrival with a smile, valet staff was quick and friendly and housekeeping was quick and through.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

First trip to Austin....AWESOME!

The pool did not seem too clean....

Bed was very comfortable. The room size very nice and big bathroom space. Coffee and fridge in room. Nice toiletries. Staff was extra helpful. Happy hour was very nice....drinks on the patio and light appetizers. Breakfast had everything you might want. Had very healthy choices, which was important to me.

Great weekend stay.

The breakfast bar was not what I expected. It felt more like a school canteen, and I was surprised to see the usage of disposable utensils.

Bed was very comfortable and room was a good size.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

Clean and smart - great location.

The room rate is quite high.

The hotel is very smart and modern with large and comfortable rooms. In Downtown and walkable to Rainey Street, Capitol etc.

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

Would not stay again

The cost per night was way over priced for what we recieved..As a rule I can always count on the Hampton for a good nights stay. But this cost was off the chart, and THEN we had to pay 35 dollars per night for valet service if we wanted to use their parking facilities. The staff was friendly, but the bathroom needed to be remodeled - the breakfast was uneventful. Because of the price. the aging bathroom and the valet, I would not stay here again.

walking distance to many downtown attactions

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

Great location!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

There was so much static in the bedding when we went to bed and the lights were off any time you moved you could see the static sparks!! The beds were not that comfortable.

The location is in a great! And the Vallet drivers were all very nice.

• Reviewed: 12 January 2017

Loved the Hampton Inn Austin!
    • King Studio with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The room was very large and the bed was comfortable. Loved the layout of the room. The location was perfect and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

The staff were not the friendliest. Asked a couple of questions at reception and received a yes/no answer, and breakfast was a bit of a shambles, always running out of food and never anyone there to ask??

Great location, lovely clean modern rooms

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

I would go here in a heartbeat again!

pillows- too soft

the amenities were fantastic, the complimentary breakfast always had great selections. Staff were always friendly and willing to help. Happy Hour during weekdays was a welcomed surprise! The Hotel was situated very close to all attractions

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

Beds were comfortable.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Food at breakfast ran out at about 9 am and was not replaced. Scanty choices. Cost $30 to park our car. Overall not a good choice for a family. Will not stay here again.

Beds were comfortable.

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

We really enjoyed our stay, it was quiet and comfortable!

The parking situation was difficult due to the garage only being for valet. So we had to park on the street and carry all of our bags back to the hotel.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Nice beginning ending with a boom .

Very disappointed that our car had been in a accident while being parked by hotel valet. Unfortunately valet did not report to management. It was a very rude awakening when trying to depart. It slowed down our travel plans. Whomp whomp whomp.

Customer service was nice. Great breakfast selection. Location location location everything within walking distance Near restaurants , nightlife, town lake lots of attractions.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

Re-think staying at this hotel
    • King Studio with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Way over priced for the value. There was trash left in the hall overnight that wasn't picked up for many hours. Breakfast buffet was terrible. Eggs tasted like they were powdered, not fresh. And the gift shop had barely anything in it. I won't stay there again.

Staff was friendly and accommodating. Bathroom was nice and clean.

Very comfortable Hotel, great location, with a short walk to 6th street, very good breakfast.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

I prefer a flexible shower hose in the shower rather than the permanent fixture, I have no complaints, everything here top class

Very comfortable room, great location, short walk to 6th street were all the action is, a very good breakfast served

• Reviewed: 16 October 2018

Good overall

Parking

• Reviewed: 11 October 2018

Great Hotel within walking distance for central Downtown Austin
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

All needs and expectations were met.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

Great location in a wonderful city to visit.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Parking is too expensive.

Great location in a wonderful city to visit.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Central to downtown Austin.

All good

Central to downtown Austin. Plenty of cafe and restaurants nearby.

Awesome location, i'll definetely come back
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Free WIFI is very limited.

Awesome location and value. Madonna at front desk was happy to help at all times.

I had an amazing time here, I would definitely come back

The staff were super nice and friendly, location was great, room was clean and comfortable and had everything I needed.

it was comptiable

i thought it was ridiculous what i had to pay to park my truck for that reason i will not return

The eggs were terrible

Pleasant and well located
    • King Room High Floor- Non-Smoking

Cost of valet parking and limited pool space

Breakfast was good value and staff were super helpful at check in

All of it

Everything was fine

All of it

Everything else was great
    • King Studio with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The bed was extremely uncomfortable

Everything else was great

Friendliness of staff and cleanliness.

Friendliness of staff and cleanliness.

Good but far too expensive

Breakfast is only fast-food, for the price I would expect a Four Season type of breakfast.

central location, close to Convention Center

Loud like there was maintanence happening above and next to...
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Loud like there was maintanence happening above and next to us

No response

No response

The only downfall to me was the parking for as much money I...
    • King Studio with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The only downfall to me was the parking for as much money I pay for the room I think the parking should be free

Great people

Rooms are a bit outdated

Great people Great location

Staff
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Facing aley and being woken up at 6:30 most mornings listening to the garbage trucks.

Staff

Good location. Friendly staff.

Parking was expensive.

The variety of items for included breakfast was great.

Clean super comfortable 💯👍🏼

I’m still waiting on my deposit 😐

Clean super comfortable 💯👍🏼 Kind staff

The location was great.

The breakfast was so so. The bathroom was small.

The location was great. The room was a nice size, and the bed was comfy.

Not cheap, but worth to stay.

Excellent location. Excellent breakfast. Friendly and help full staff. Very satisfield.

Mostly good. Desk people very nice.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Being told there was a Happy Hour when I checked in, and the next night being told it was only Monday through Thursday; that was Friday.