Reviews of Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago-Downtown 3 stars

33 West Illinois, River North, Chicago, IL 60610, USA

#63 of 146 hotels in Chicago

Location, facilities, room size
    • One-Bedroom Suite with Two Queen Beds

Is a good hotel, but the 2 queen bedroom suite is a little expensive. A door between the room and bathroom sink could be a plus.

Location, facilities, room size

Worse time in Chicago

The area was not to my liking towards the end of the trip. I was standing outside waiting for my Uber eats when I older gentleman comes up to me asking for a donation..I proceeded to tell him no thank u ..then he replied with I should take your shoes..I’m a sneaker collectors so I had Jordan retro 1 half and half’s on by the way ...I tell him sir I’m jus waiting for my food..he grabs me throws me on the ground I jumps see 3 other ppl running towards me I immediately take off and ran inside the hotel all the while security was watching not doing anything...so I recommend don’t go anywhere alone.

I like the staff very friendly ...the breakfast was great...and the rooms were excellent. Location was close to alota different sites in Chicago.

Good for a short stay--comfortable beds and great breakfast.

It was a frat party on Saturday morning with the room at the end of our hall --open door men yelling at 8 in the morning. Also could hear every person walking down the hall and doors slamming upon every entry into rooms. Not sure how to block hallway noise...that was really disappointing. Could use some standing light fixture by the TV stand...room very dark. And a silly request...upgrade your tissues....they were like sandpaper! LOL

Your rooms were comfortable--particularly the beds. Enjoyed the breakfast buffet every morning--plenty to choose from and well maintained.

Nice room, good position for my purpose.

I miss vegetables for breakfast. Too hot water in the pool. Sometimes noise from fire station.

Nice room, good position for my purpose. Good breakfast.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

The room size was especially nice for my family of 5.
    • One-Bedroom King Suite

We had trouble connecting to the WiFi the first night of our stay cause the front desk person didn't give us the the password. Also I was charged for parking when I informed them that I had already paid for parking using a parking app.

The room size was especially nice for my family of 5. Also the morning breakfast was wonderful and different each morning we stayed.

very clean and nice people at the front desk.

extremely noisy due to venting machines outside the building and fire department. Doors and walls very thin so expect to hear everything from other guests.

very clean and nice people at the front desk. Very friendly concierge.

3 Night Stay.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Bath Tub - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Room size was small for 3. Beds need new matresses..

Location. We could walk to all sites visited. 1st time to Chicago. Breakfast was good. Felt safe.

Beautiful prefect place to relax
    • One-Bedroom Suite with Two Queen Beds

I love everything! Non smoking but I’ll book here again l.

The pool and saunas was prefect. Bedroom was prefect. Breakfast amazing have waffles. Staff so friendly answered all my questions. My stay was prefect can’t wait to come back

Perfect position, 2 minutes from Michican Avenue, very large...

Old furniture, not so friendly personnel, very bad breakfast with low quality fatty products, at check-out they wanted to charge me with an higher rate.

Perfect position, 2 minutes from Michican Avenue, very large room.

My sister and I enjoyed our time in Chicago. Loved the hotel and thr close proximity to everything.

Be aware, the firehouse is located right up the street from the hotel...probably not idea for light sleepers. Ask for room on other side of hotel. We had a street view of the hotel.

Centrally located and close to everything. My sister and I were able to walk to most destinations within a two mile radius. Lots of great places to eat and hang out close to the hotel. Great options on the breakfast buffet. Customer service was top notch. Comfortable beds. We felt safe the entire time, even at 4:30 in the am when we were

Location is great.
    • King Room - Disability Access with Bath Tub/Non-Smoking

Location is great. Yo are at the very center of the action . Close to the river walk, bars and restaurants. Rooms are extremely comfortable and you might get a view. Maybe. However, location is everything. Staff is really nice.

Hampton was nice, horrible area, taxes and parking ridiculous

I didn't like the fact that I couldn't park on-site, was almost charged $25.00. I paid for a three person room which would require a rollaway bed.

The breakfast was good but not great, beds were nice.

Will stay here again!
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Extremely clean - love that. Bed was very comfortable and breakfast was great. Love the elevators - if you spend any time in Chicago hotels you know how tiny and slow the elevators are - not here!

A1 location for downtown Chicago, will definitely come back!
    • One-Bedroom King Suite

There was no hot tub, which was a bit surprising, but the pool area was very bright, lots of sun coming through.

Amazing experience at this hotel! There is a rooftop patio right off of the pool area, which offered a nice quiet place to relax and get some sun. The staff were friendly and accommodating, from the moment we stepped out of our vehicle and were greeted by the valet attendant.

Free internet works quiet slow. Room is rather small but with big beds. The hotel is a little bit old and rooms could have a renovation. The price was quiet high for the time we were there probably due to the Parade.

Good service overall. They asked about the kind or room we wanted. The room we got wasn't noisy. Breakfast is abundant, quality is average. Location is fantastic to visit major touristic sites. Swimming pool is nice and the kids loved it.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

All the late night “downtown action” outside - sirens, 230 bar guests singing; actually didn’t mind that too much - got a laugh out of it.

We stayed in the King Suite that had a main room with a pull out sofa bed and a separate room with a King/queen size bed. The suite worked well for our family of 4. Comfortable bed and pillows. Plenty of room.

The breakfast layout was awesome,the pool area was very nice...
    • One-Bedroom Suite with Two Queen Beds

The parking sucks,every guest should have Valet included with their stay, it should be at no cost .

The breakfast layout was awesome,the pool area was very nice and so was the workout area .

Nice location but not worth the cost

cheaper to use spot hero for parking. housekeeping kept hitting hotel room door with vacuum and walked in on the morning of departure. very expensive for the type of hotel and basic room, so cost value was not there.

comfortable bed. location to riverwalk and area restaurants.

Location location location / great restaurants in the...

The pressure of the water in the shower was bad!!! Cable Tv no works in the last day.

Location location location / great restaurants in the neighborhood/ good breakfast/ good team

Would definitely stay here again
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Our air conditioner was froze up at first so it took a day to get it unfroze and back in working order. But after that the temperature in the room was fine.

Breakfast was amazing. Loved that the hot items were different each day. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

We liked everything, including breakfast.

We wished a small fridge was in the room, but otherwise, no complaints.

We liked everything, including breakfast. Valet service was great, guys were very friendly.

Staff was friendly, location was ok.

There wasn’t a fridge or microwave in the room. Also the hot tub was out of order. Walls were thin, could hear people in the hallways.

The bed was comfortable

This is one of my favorite places to stay - in Chicago often and this is in top 3.

Would have liked soda machine

I asked for a fan-was delivered AS I entered my room! Wanted coffee at 10:30 p.m.-no place was open(staff searched extensively)-made me a pot,WOMAN deliver it-MUCH appreciated for safety at night!!!

I came to this hotel for a weekend trip with my six friends...
    • One-Bedroom Suite with Two Queen Beds

I wish they would have told us that a $60.00 room service charge would be automatically added to the initial payment and put back on my card if we didn't use it. Other than that I would highly recommend this hotel

I came to this hotel for a weekend trip with my six friends and we had a wonderful stay. We were able to get into the room much faster than expected and the staff was very helpful. We stayed in the family suite and it was perfect for the amount of people we had.

the noise from the fire dept right by are window &...

the noise from the fire dept right by are window & couldn't parked there cause we have a truck . had to parked 2 blocks away. The 60 $ fee that you charge my credit card for parking or room service or whatever it was for they said if you didn't used that service it would be refunded back on my card. I didn't appreciate that I think that is dumb to charge that if your not going used that service.

They billed me twice and caused overdraft.

Billing problems.

They billed me twice and caused overdraft. We are still waiting for this to be corrected. I have called several times and even spoke with manager. This is very poor business. Can you clear this up immediately?

The breakfast was amazing!

The hot tub they said they had was down the whole time we were there and they said they were getting rid of it.. There wasn't a fridge or microwave in our room.

The breakfast was amazing!! Something different every morning!!

The staff is exceptionally helpful and attentive to guests! Great location!
    • One-Bedroom King Suite

The pool was very cloudy. My husband recently obtained his pool operator's license in Michigan and our daughters had helped him study. So, they knew that a cloudy pool is a dirty pool. Therefore, when they discovered they could not see the bottom of the shallow end, they didn't feel comfortable using the pool. This was unfortunate as that is their favorite part of staying in a hotel.

The suite we had was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. We liked that the suite only had one shared wall.

Staff was happy to help with directions.
    • One-Bedroom King Suite

Hot tub was broken. We specifically picked a location with a hot tub knowing it would be nice to soak in after our Chicago day trips.

Staff was happy to help with directions. Full breakfast was nice to have and we really appreciated the extended hours for breakfast. It allowed us to sleep in on our vacation and enjoy breakfast.

Pleasant Stay, but I was over charges for it!!
    • One-Bedroom King Suite

The fact I was over charged extra $205 which they promised it would be refunded, however I have yet to receive it!! I will Never stay there again because of this!!!!

The Nice room& breakfast

Nice room and facilities but booking.com had wrong prices
    • One-Bedroom King Suite

We had booked a room for five people which turned out to only be for four people and maybe a super small child. So we had to pay more for an extra bed or to be upgraded to a larger room. Apparently booking.com has a lot of data wrong for this hotel, or that is what they said at the hotel but the staff's attitude of "not our fault" was rather annoying.

The beds were comfortable and the suite was clean.

It was very easy. Worked out perfect for our last minute circumstances.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Bath Tub - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The cost of parking .

Moe at the front desk was awesome. He was extremely helpful with all of my questions . He even was willing to gout of his way to run out and put money on a parking meter so I could sleep in.

I loved my room the cleanliness.
    • One-Bedroom King Suite

If you stay for the weekend parking should be included. The cost of our room $420 our parking $250. Not good.

I loved my room the cleanliness. Best hotel breakfast. Staff was friendly. I would stay again.

Wish I would have stayed elsewhere, this hotel is small, OLD, cramped.
    • One-Bedroom Suite with Two Queen Beds

The staff. There was a marathon in the city, the hotel was aware of the route in advance but did not inform potential guest on the website prior to booking that guest would not have access to their cars the entire morning, despite paying $60 per night top park there. Guest were only made aware of the situation the night before. Creating a huge problem for people needing to or wanting to leave that morning. When asked the staff for solutions the employee just kept repeating the sane line "I took it upon myself to print you out a map of the area". I have a phone with a map, didn't need hers. She also stated we could get up at 6am move our car ourselves (you pay for valet regardless) and park in the street blocks away, if you could possibly find parking. Good luck with that, or pay additional $60 to park in a structure 4 blocks away and carry all your luggage there when you check out. Which is what we had to do!! Also "city" view is of an alley. NEVER STAY HERE.

Fine if you don't want to swim.

Walls were paper thin, could hear everything next door and it was very hard to sleep. The pool was so gross, cloudy water, chlorine so off it burned your eyes and gave my kids rashes. Hot tub was closed and the floor around the pool was so incredibly slippery I saw 5 people fall. I swear one kid I thought had a concussion.

Free breakfast was good.

Good stay for the value.

The noises from the hall and the neighboring rooms were a bit much. Also if upon checking, breakfast hours and locations of amenities in and nearby the hotel could be given on a pamphlet, that would be helpful.

I liked the breakfast and the amenities as well as the location.

I would definitely would stay there again loved the stay

We went during the dental convention so my bad on that part so breakfest was really busy and food ran out quickly and seemed like it took a min to get more with hungry kids

I loved it was pretty centralized to everything we went to see and we where able to walk most places!

Location very good at downtown, room size big, very comfy...
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Only not so great thing was the breakfast, a little simple and not used to paper plates and plastic cutlery...

Location very good at downtown, room size big, very comfy bed, clean, friendly staff.

The walls of this hotel are thin.

The walls of this hotel are thin. We could hear everything in the next rooms! if you have a noisy neighbor forget sleeping... Also, this hotel is close to the fire dept. every so often the sirens would go off

Great hotel
    • One-Bedroom King Suite

We were 4 people and we booked a suite with a king size bed and a queen pull out bed, the room was very clean and comfortable. The breakfast was abundant and very good. Finally the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Chicago Trip

Not enough breakfast selection the 2nd day as compared to the 1st day.

Right in the middle of downtown with plenty to do in the area. Staff was extremely friendly. The room was very clean.

We enjoyed our room, our bed and the breakfast!
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

We chose this hotel because we wanted a hot tub! When we arrived, the hot tub was "under construction" and not working. Very disappointing! Especially since I called ahead and asked if they had a hot tub. I guess I should have asked if they had a "functioning" hot tub. Also, the guy over valet parking was very grumpy! Never saw him smile once! It cost $59 a night to park the car, so we turned our rental car back in. The free wifi is not too great either.

I loved the bed! I slept better there than I do at home!

Over all it was inexpensive hotel in a good location that provided everything we needed.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

We specially chose this hotel for its amenities though and the pool was not great and really over crowded with kids and the hot tub had been drained and was no longer available.

The staff were great and actually texted me throughout my stay to make sure I had everything.

The room was very nice and the perfect size.

Didn’t realize how close the fire station was. Very loud sirens about 8 times a day. I would just take ear plugs next time!

The room was very nice and the perfect size. The breakfast was amazing! Walking distance from Mag Mile.

Best hotel in Chicago
    • One-Bedroom King Suite

I can't think of anything.

The kind & helpful staff. The breakfast was phenomenal!!! The rooms were so clean, housekeeping was awesome as well. Vallet was excellent & fast, definelty worth the money. We definitely will stay at the Hampton again!!!

Great location and value.
    • One-Bedroom King Suite

Great location and value...bonus for the free breakfast option. Drawbacks would be the elevator use, which are rather outdated and can be clogged due to usage and faulty sensors (i.e. card reader required to reach desired floor but reader intermittently fails)

Enjoyed my stay very much and would book again and recommend to my peers.
    • King Room - Hearing Access

The free breakfast was comparable to other hotel complimentary breakfasts, not better or worse.

The room was very clean and staff was always helpful and friendly. The location was ideal for me because it was very close to public transportation.

Good

The refrigerator didn’t get fixed as I requested the maintenance guy came up a hour before check out so my food didn’t stay cold and was ruined and need more options on the breakfast needs scrambled eggs more than once

The staff was awesome and the beds they took really good care of me

Our stay with Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago-Downtown was fantastic, would definitely stay again.
    • King Room - Hearing Access

We didn’t like that right next to the hotel there was a fire department, so at night we heard the sirens the whole time. That was the only thing.

We really enjoyed the breakfast, it was very filling and delicious. The bathroom was very clean, as well as the room. The hotel staff was super friendly and very accommodating. All the elevators were working. The hotel was located in a great area.

Hotel/room was clean and bed was comfy.

The staff was friendy but could have better informed us of breakfast times and parking rates when we checked in as we booked the room a few months in advanced so these were not things we remembered.

Hotel/room was clean and bed was comfy.

This was a great place for us to stay for our work trip- comfortable, clean, and accessible.

No suggestions to add here.

The room was very clean and the beds were super comfortable. The continental breakfast was fantastic- I loved the oatmeal bar with all of the different toppings. I also appreciated the Neutrogena brand toiletries in the room.

would stay again

Off site parking. I would like to park onsite with a bigger discount. because I was told 24 overnight but it was 48 big difference.

The places in walking distance. the room was very nice. The heat had to kick in but afterwards was fine

It was clean

Staff was not very helpful, high rates for not much. Requested a room with a view and didn't get one. Lots of suprise fees, the mandatory vallet was horrible!

It was clean

Would recommend to anyone and will stay again!
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

My only complaint was that the hot tub was not working - it would have been rest to know this in advance.

We have stayed here a few times before and will continue to come back! The staff is always friendly and helpful, the restaurant downstairs was great, and the facility itself was wonderful!

What a fabulous place to stay during our trip!

We didn’t receive time down service the second day we were there and the room keys stopped working so we can do have the front desk reset them

The bed was soft and sheets were crisp. The location was great! Super easy to get a cab. Staff was super friendly. Our room was ready way earlier than expected. They gave us as many room keys as we needed instead of limiting to two. It was safe and secure. The breakfast was different every day and tasty. Lots of options

I’d stay at this hotel again with my family.
    • One-Bedroom King Suite

The hot tub wasn’t clean. The toilet in our room would run continuously until someone remembered to shake the handle. It also was necessary to hold it so that it could completely flush otherwise there were things left behind.

The staff was friendly and helpful. The place itself was in an excellent location. The valet guys were helpful and friendly. The bellhop was also great. There was more than adequate space for breakfast and plenty of options to make all happy.

We had a truck, vallet parking only, said it was too big and...

We had a truck, vallet parking only, said it was too big and sent us down the street to park, we found parking a few blocks away, not what we were expecting.

Nice hotel🏨!
    • King Room - Disability Access with Bath Tub/Non-Smoking

The view Pool closed too early Sauna not hot enough

Pool with sauna and hit tube, terrasse.. early check in and nice staff. included breakfast with waffle bar, coffee and tea all day long. Confortable bed and a real bath

Beautiful hotel in a nice part of downtown.
    • One-Bedroom King Suite

The kitchen light did not work. Valet parking was expensive but that’s to be expected in Chicago. Everything else was very good.

The room was beautiful with a modern kitchenette with a little island and nice appliances. The bed was extremely comfortable. The hotel restaurant had good and nice ambience.

The location was perfect for our stay, breakfast was good...

Was surprised with a $75 per night room deposit upon arrival, which is supposed to be returned in 3-5 Days. Should have known this up front! And it should be listed on your receipt!

The location was perfect for our stay, breakfast was good and room was comfortable and quiet.

A nice and popular hotel in the heart of Chicago.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The rooms are not soundproof, especially that there are doors between the rooms, which seemed awkward. There were locked, of course. The pool was disappointing. The water could have been clearer. Moreover, there are no changing room nor lockers, and you have to change because there are no dressing gowns in the rooms. There was nobody taking care of the pool. The only time that we went there during our four-day stay, there were kids playing in the water and occupying the whole pool. They did not pay attention to the fact that there are also other people wishing to swim.

We very much enjoyed our stay at Hampton Inn & Suites. It started bad - it turned out that our neighbors were making a lot of noise and we could not sleep till past 2 am. The reception sent them a noise alert, however it did not work, and when I called the reception again, I was offered room change. We really enjoyed the change - it was a suite (and the previous was a deluxe room) at no additional charge and it was super quiet. The staff was very helpful, kind and welcoming. The breakfast was good. I would definitely book this place again.

Overall a good stay. Better wi fi would have helped
    • King Room - Hearing Access

Having the bathroom off the bedroom in the suites was not good. We got a suite so our parents could go to bed and we kept going in their room to use the bathroom. Wi-Fi NEVER worked.

Comfortable beds. Very friendly staff. Pool water temperature was AMAZING. I could actually stay in and play with my kids without freezing. Sauna was awesome.

Very nice hotel with friendly staff. We had a great stay.
    • One-Bedroom King Suite

In the suite the bathroom was off the bedroom which meant the pull out sofa sleepers had to go into the bedroom where people were sleeping. The cost of valet parking. No vending machines and out of coke in the suite shop.

The bed was very comfortable, staff was very friendly, rooms clean.

We were pleasantly surprised by how nice the Hampton Inn was will use them as our primary hotels
    • One-Bedroom Suite with Two Queen Beds

The facility is showing signs of wear and tear. Very clean, just older.

The service was exceptional and the staff was both pleasant and accommodating. The breakfast was also much better than I would have expected.

Very nice hotel and very friendly staff.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Was not impressed that the only parking is Valet unless you wanted to walk 5 blocks back to the hotel in the cold. Would have been nice to know that valet parking is $59 before booking the hotel.

Very nice hotel and very friendly staff.

The accommodations were exceptional.

The hotels allows smoking directly outside the entrance, would appreciate if I didn't have to inhale second-hand smoke.

The accommodations were exceptional.

Great location, great price!

Breakfast area could get really crowded. Plan ahead your breakfast time so you don't have to bump with the other guests.

The location, the view from the room and the bed was excellent. The breakfast was much more than was expected. The bed was extremely comfortable and soft and warm... We love it!

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

Cleaning services between days was superb and exceeded any...

Ventilation after a shower could have been better. Not detrimental though.

Cleaning services between days was superb and exceeded any cleaning service I've experienced while staying in a hotel. Very pleased group!

It was awesome!

Everything was pretty good. Valet staff wasn’t extremely friendly nor helpful at checkout.

Breakfast was good. Property was pretty clean and staff was friendly! Room was very comfortable. Elevators ran smoothly and quickly. Good shower and no problems With plumbing. Restaurant was connected but too crowded. Nice variety of restaurants within walking distance. Some restaurants were willing to deliver as well. ATM is lobby but banks also within walking distance.

It was a very nice stay , felt like I was at home
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The fact that they fail to mention anything prior before your stay about their $75 deposit per day of your stay . I went in with the impression everything was already paid for only to be charged an additional fee once I checked in , very inconvenient if you're on a budget and weren't expecting that additional charge without prior knowledge

Everything was accessible, the staff is very easy going , they accommodate you very well .

Awful.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

We arrived there and tried to check in after having a reservation prior. The person at the front desk was not attentive or very helpful. Looked like he was trying to get rid of us faster. He didn’t give us any information or any pertinent answer to our question. Parking was really expensive. It was 120 $ for two days if I remember right. The valet chased us everywhere and he almost put his hands in our wallet for the money . I found it really rude. Noisy, with kids running on the hallways after 11. I will pay more next time to stay somewhere else but not in your hotel.

Good breakfast.

Satisfactory apart from fire department sirens.
    • King Room - Hearing Access

Too close to Fire station. I was on third floor and it's a very busy Fire station so the siren was going very frequently. So much for a good night sleep...NOT!!!

Location....all within walking distance.

Overall extremely happy with our trip to Chicago and I would recommend staying at this hotel.

Quite noisy rooms. We had noisy neighbours on the first night but after a few hours I gave in and rang the front desk to complain and they put a stop to the noise straight away. The hotel is situated next door to one of Chicago’s many fire stations so you hear sirens often.

Very centrally located for a great sightseeing and shopping trip.

Stay was not pleasant at all !!!!!!
    • 2 Queen 1 Bedroom with Sofabed Corner Suite Nonsmoking

The location of hotel, the price of hotel, price for parking, fire station nxt door very noisey, beds were uncomfortable, believe my guest got bed bug bites, water pressure in shower not very strong, internet was crap,could have gotten better breakfast at McDonalds., Traveled from out of town, for price of the hotel, called prior and requested an early check-in, 30-60 minutes, was told YES, we could check in early, upon arrival to hotel was told room wasn't ready, so had to leave our bags in some lobby room,12 floor hotel with ONE vending area,on 2nd level, with very limited drink choices. Will NEVER stay at Hampton Inn AGAIN!!!!! Especially that one!

Actually did not like anything at all...The Staff was nice!

The complimentary breakfast and the staff were fantastic.

The website I booked through said they had free parking and when I got there it was $57 to park overnight. Very bumped and disappointed about the high fee to park.

The complimentary breakfast and the staff were fantastic.