Reviews of Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee Downtown 3 stars

176 West Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53203, USA

#33 of 52 hotels in Milwaukee

The beds were comfortable & it was in a good location.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

There was construction around the whole area we were in. I reserved the room months in advance. I did not receive any notification that there was even construction going on. Had to park 1/2 mile away in the mall parking garage.

The beds were comfortable & it was in a good location.

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Pillows were way too soft. A person off the street got into lobby Saturday night and started fighting with one of the guests, and there wasn't much of a security staff to stop it immediately. Took about 10 to 15 minutes. Crazy. Need someone at the door 24/7.

Location. Nice bed. Friendly staff. Free breakfast buffet.

Breakfast was awesome.

Beds uncomfortable. Pool water was hot.

Breakfast was awesome. Location to our venue was great! A few beggars on the street but they were not a threat.

Not bad but not great.
    • One-Bedroom Double Suite - Non-Smoking

The room was very compact for how pricey it was. And the smell of the hotel was nauseating a bit. Very overpowering smell of air-freshening spray.

The staff was great!! The location was great! The hotel and room were very clean.

Best location in Milwaukee. Walked to everything.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Needed parking. Forgot to ask when booking. Had to use Valet which added to cost. Should have turned in car at airport and taken shuttle to hotel.

Excellent staff

Best place to stay ; within waking distance of many sites!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The staff here from the valets to the front desk staff were friendly and helpful. They went out of their way to give suggestions on things they thought we would enjoy. They gave us many helpful hints about the area and made our stay perfect. Special thanks to Phil who went out of his way to make our vacation special!! We would definitely stay here is we came back to Milwaukee!

Many stays here & many more anticipated!
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Price increase for Summerfest to be expected, but still worth it.

Location of this property is perfection. Always clean & a nice/free breakfast selection is a great way to start the day.

Shop around
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Parking was difficult due to construction and when I called (while double parked) to ask where to go, the girl was rude. When I tried to tell her where I was at she yelled "LISTEN" and proceeded to give directions using landmarks unfamiliar to me. I'm not familiar with downtown Milwaukee. The air conditioning was on its coldest setting and the room was still too hot. Set on 65 and the temp was 73. Breakfast was bland cheese omelettes, overly seasoned potatoes and crunchy bacon.

Location was nice. Within walking distance of just about everything. The room was clean, quiet and the bed was comfortable.

Just another great experience at Hampton Inn.
    • One-Bedroom Double Suite - Non-Smoking

The light went off in the bathroom so we had to shower in the dark but we survived.

The hotel was completely booked and there were so many events going on but the hotel staffed remained calm and collected.

Nice clean place with Pool and hot breakfast. very clean and located right downtown close to most

not enough toilet paper left in the room, was there for multiple days , wasn't replenished had to call down to request more but came quickly. Staff weren't always the friendliest but were accommodating

breakfast was fresh and replenished super fast. beds were comfortable

Phil at breakfast was very friendly and helpful.
    • Executive Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The thermostat in the room was not working properly so the temperature could not be controlled. Fan speed was not able to be adjusted beyond low. Sign on mirror indicated to hang towels on bars yet there were no bars or hooks available in area adjacent to mirrors and sinks. Ventilation fan in shower room roared like an aircraft engine.

Phil at breakfast was very friendly and helpful. Selection was outstanding.

Stinky
    • One-Bedroom Double Suite - Non-Smoking

The whole 5th floor including our room reeked like pot. The thermostat in the bed room would start clicking every 15 minutes. The Wi-Fi didn't work and they were under staffed on a Friday night.

Would not stay again.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Window was in a far corner with no view, tons of lint on our sheets leaving white lint balls all over clothes, hair, confusioning to find the entrance from parking lot as signs were not visible with construction. People seemed annoyed to answer questions or assist us.

Beds were ok but small fulls instead of queens.

Great stay for my family! Real close to the bradly center
    • Executive Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Some small repairs needed in the room real minor. I noticed a tile missing in the trim. Tv remote hard to use.

Staff was great! We had a small wait when we checked in, the front desk lady offered a free snack for our kids while we waited. Very helpful on info on the hotel and area. Close to the BMO center. My 12 yr old and I walked to the bucks game. Safe walk no issues.

It was okay
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The complimentary was not what we expected. Only pork to choose from as far as meat. I could not make waffles because there was too many guests. The heat in our room didn’t work and we had the hassle of using a heater

The tv was excellent. The bed was comfy. The bathroom was clean. The lobby was beautiful

I’ll definitely come back!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

There’s nothing I don’t like about this hotel.

The location of the hotel is excellent. It’s a couple minutes walk to the beautiful riverwalk and 15-minute to the art museum and Michigan lake. Across the street is the mall. The room is impeccable clean. Free hot coffee 24-hour in the lobby is just what I need after a day’s work on a cold spring day. Breakfast has a great variety of choices. The eggs are cooked to perfection and the biscuits and sausages are simply delicious. Bed is super comfy!

I liked that the room was a very nice size.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I didn’t like that it had and empty space like an chair was supposed to be there. I didn’t like it had that old radio/clock no where for me to play music if I wanted to.

I liked that the room was a very nice size. The bed was comfortable.

Overall, great location, friendly staff, valet was friendly and quick to get our car and very easy
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The room air was set for 65 degrees but it felt so much warmer than that. Fridge in warm didn’t get cold until you opened the outside door of amoire

Great location!!!! Overall, nice facility, friendly staff!

“Two room suite” is an exaggeration of what you get, and furniture could use a deep clean/refresh
    • Executive Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Sofa bed was dirty and especially uncomfortable. Room was tiny. We feel the bookings.com site misrepresented the size of the room and number it could sleep.

Beds were comfortable, free coffee/breakfast, convenient location.

We had a fabulous weekend! Thank you Milwaukee and Hampton Inn!
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

I just loved the location of the Hampton. The service and rooms were excellent too! It was in walking distance to our activities. I just love Milwaukee and what it has to offer- it is so easy to maneuver in and out! We had a great weekend!

The best part was the location, breakfast choices & coffee, and the helpful front desk.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

I was disappointed that the valet attendants didn't offer help with unloading & loading the vehicle when we arrived and when we checked out. For the valet fee of $22/night, I expected that. As for the room....it was acceptable. Room discounted rate was $120/night. Got a king bed room. Bathroom shower faucet was very slow running water :( There were splatters of something on room wall that should have been wiped off. The room was so very dry. We both had a very hard time sleeping at night due to the dry air :( The hot tub would have been nice to enjoy without all the young kids in it.

The front desk staff was very happy & helpful. Nice to have valet parking option! The attendants were friendly. The breakfast was better than some we have had at hotels before. The robust coffee was great! My husband and I are strong coffee lovers and that was great to have good coffee and a good selection of condiments...ie...honey, raw sugar, etc.

Good stay. Staff was very responsive to requests but this hotel has limited life left in it.
    • One-Bedroom Double Suite - Non-Smoking

Rooms are starting to look a little run down. There seemed only to be limited maintenance and hospitality staff. Or one bedroom suite had no desk to work at.

Hotel is very convenient for downtown activities. Breakfast bar was pretty good

Convenient location. Staff was helpful in evening and at night.
    • Room with Two Double Beds and Roll-In Shower - Non-Smoking

Lack of follow through when staff said they would do something like bring up shampoo. In morning hours. Never asked how our stay was when we checked out.

Breakfast was great it had a lot of variety

Will not return

Parking not included, requested two queens w a couch and ordered one, did not receive. Room seemed cramped and in need of an update. Every time the heat came on it sounded like the vent was going to take off it was so loud.

Free WiFi, free breakfast

Easy
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Having to pay extra for parking wasn't all that great. Other than that, there's not much to complain about.

Bed was comfortable and the staff was extremely friendly.

Good location in the town
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The town itself is not the nicest. The pool area is also very odd and uninviting. The gym floor could also do with being fixed.

The free breakfast was great. It is very centrally located as well.

My stay was pleasant.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The room was small. I was alone but if someone else were with me it would have been very cramped. We received maid service everyday,towels and toiletries were replaced. However the room was not vacuumed or the trash removed daily. Front desk personnel could have been a bit friendlier.

Valet parking was easy. Breakfast was better than most complimentary hotel breakfasts. The breakfast staff was very friendly and helpful.The hotel common spaces were clean. Coffee available all day. Easy check out.

Next time down, I am not sure we would come back to this location
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed

bedroom area was very small. Toilet to low. East Elevator did not line up to the floor level. I am handicapped and use a scooter. It was hard getting out of elevator. Not all staff greeted us even when I said Hello first.

Had a suite and the bedroom was small. The toilet was very low. On a positive note the Valet staff were very quick and nice people. The one name I can remember is Garrett M. When we were coming back at 10pm on Thursday we were stopped by a man stating he was homeless and needed money for food. He followed us up to the front door and I felt he was going to come into the building. Maybe this can be monitored by camera.

would book again
    • Executive Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Eggs were runny. Fresher cut fruit. Better pillows. Time to replace them they are flat. Also time to either bleach or replace the extra blankets there were stains in a few areas.

The waffles and sausage and gravy. Good selection. Staff was really friendly and even checked us in early because our room was ready.

OK for 2 nights - wouldn't seek out again
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The room I had was non-smoking but smelled pretty strongly of stale smoke. Some of the wallpaper was peeling off the walls and the tiles weren't properly sealed around the tub and shower. The bathroom lights were much too harsh and I felt like I was in a dentist's chair whenever I did my routine. The breakfast was sub-par buffet style, continental fare - not overly appealing.

The staff was super helpful, quick to solve issues and incredibly friendly. The beds were quite nice and the room I had was enormous (even had a bathtub in the bedroom). The location was walkable to the museum and the shoreline, which was great.

Probably won't stay there again!
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

We reserved a king bed room and it was a queen bed room. Not sure what the difference is in cost, but I'm sure there probably is one. This is a detail that should not be changed without notification and acceptance and probably a price change.

would chose a different hotel

room was not vacuumed, elevator was dirty. Treadmill in workout room not working properly.

We stayed two night and our room was not vacuumed. Air conditioning was not working properly until 2nd day.

Quiet, Bed and pillows very comfy!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Didn't notice until after we left that we were overcharged on our rate by $10/$15 from what we were shown on our confirmation.

Quiet, Bed and pillows very comfy! Good breakfast! Great location and welcome bags.

Not overly impressive.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Internet was horrible. Night stand coming off the wall. Only one screw in it. Told the staff, never got fixed. Parking was exoensive and not reimbursed by the hotel.

Good breakfast. Nice pool.

Nice for the price.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

We have stayed here several years ago and the place really needs a little more updating.

The bed was nicely made up. Breakfast had many choices. The location was great for our needs.

Nice hotel close to everything
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Rooms were nice, but a bit small.

Hotel was right across from mall and next to restaurant w/free shuttle to Brewers game. Lots of good restaurants and shops in walking distance.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

small and just ok

very hard to find as front of bldg was under construction...hate paying for parking..should be free if you stay at hotel..a/c broken and maintenance man came numerous times but didnt work all night.

close to riverwalk.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

Awesome downtown location!
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Great location, easy check-in, friendly staff and the breakfast was convenient as always. Our flight home was delayed so they offered a late checkout which was extremely convenient. All around great experience.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

Disappointed
    • Executive Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Noisy with buses, vehicles all night. Bedroom area was warm, sitting area was freezing ! Paid $230 for a night for a $130- $150 room

Location to Downtown & Grand Ave Mall, plenty of restaurants & pubs. Close to the Lake

The in room fridge was terribly loud.
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed

The in room fridge was terribly loud. The a/c was also very loud. Made it hard to sleep. Also mattress on pull out couch was extremely uncomfortable

Never again! Got scewed!!
    • King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

We got stuck in alittle corner room that was not like all other rooms. For the price we could of stayed in a crapy motel and been happier. Have stayed in downtown Milwuakee many times, this was the worst experience we have ever had!

Nice room - lousy noisy neighbors.

We had asked for a "quiet" room. We were on the 4th floor way from the elevator which we liked. At 0055 I was woken up by loud music (we are sure that there were young people - maybe early 20's) coming from the room next door. Music was so loud that I had to phone the front desk to report it. The lady said that she would send security up to their room. About 10 minutes later the music was quiet but their talking was loud but that too quietened down after a few minutes. Needless to say it took me hours to go back to sleep again so I didn't have a good night.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

It was nice to be upgraded to a suite upon check in.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

There was a long hair in the bedding that wasn't ours. It was disappointing when you are up graded to a suite and have to share a bed bc the mystery hair in the other.

It was nice to be upgraded to a suite upon check in.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

Got scammed
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The staff was very discourteous when we reported that someone called our room at 3:30am stating that the computer crashed and needed our credit card again. My friend was so disoriented she gave them get credit card. We discovered later it was a scam. The hotel did nothing about it. I will never stay at a Hampton Inn again.

There wasn't anything I liked after we were the victims of a scam

Great pay for great location
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Cleanliness of the room. There were pieces of tape on the wall and on the ceiling as if banners were hung for a birthday party. My pillow cases had stains on the if what seemed to be food.

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

What parking?
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Better explanation of parking facility, where it was located, how to get into the hotel. Once the door in the parking garage was located,, where to go from there. Comment from reception was "Well, you made it!" Not cool.

Breakfast was good. And the location as far as places to eat was great.

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

Will stay again!
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The pool was so sad and different than the picture on Booking.com. It may have been good for laps but that's it, and only if one person was swimming at a time. Staff was meh, not bad but not overly welcoming. Our heater was very noisy at night.

Nice lobby. We had a huge corner room with a great King size bed. Huge bathroom. The entry to the room from the hall made it feel neighbors were far away and there was no light from the hallway peeking under the door from where the bed was positioned. Location was great, many places to go in walking distance. Hot breakfast was so awesome we didn't feel the need to go elsewhere. It had bacon and potatoes among many other things.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

Not worth it. Great location, but that's all.

Pool was freezing, heater didn't work. Staff all had attitudes. Pubic hair around hot tub. No towels. Pool had a cup and barrettes floating around. Breakfast was awful. Eggs were cold and rubbery. Sheets didn't fit the bed. Parking cost extra.

Bed, pillows and cover were comfortable. Nice size TV.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

Nice friendly place to stay.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

I wish you had a restaurant.

Your people were great. They were very friendly and helpful on all of the different shifts. Answered question and were knowledgeable of places in the area.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

The staff was friendly and kept the place clean, the room could have been warmer
    • King Suite with Whirlpool - Non-Smoking

the room with the hot tub..was on the cold side and the thermostat on the wall was useless..the only room that was comfortable was the room with the wall heater..it was nice to be warm in there,but the heater was on the loud side

The location was nice. and the people I was with were wonderful

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

Great hotel in downtown Milwaukee
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed

Door from parking garage stuck, often didn't read room key. Parking is not included in the room rate, and parking in the attached city ramp was about $26/day (at time of writing).

Staff was excellent - fixed the slow-draining tub immediately. The room was comfortable and had modern touches to compliment the older building. Room service is provided by Mo's Irish Pub down the street, and the food was excellent.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

Not horrible, but wouldnt stay again

Way too expensive, a very loud motor running in the ceiling made it very difficult to stay asleep, drain in shower/tub didn't drain- disgusting couldnt shower before leaving. Need bigger/more noticeable sign in parking garage for hotel enterance.

Staff was very friendly and short distance to Center

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Very clean, quiet and relaxing.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Very clean, quiet and relaxing.

Staff is excellent!

Staff is excellent! Very helpful and accommodating! If you are going stay downtown this is the place to be!

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Great place
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

It was a great place,liked everything

Close to theater we went to Friendly helpful staff Clean good breakfast

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

bathroom fan was very loud.

bathroom fan was very loud. Air conditioning was pretty loud too.

Very nice, shuttle great, local to everything.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Everything was very nice and Anastacia was an extremely professional and nice staff member.

Stay somewhere else if you can.
    • Executive Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Unfriendly staff at front desk. Hotel seems really worn down.

Location and friendly valet guys.

Pleasant
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Small high window with view of a wall clostriphobic.

Liked the pillows

Compact rooms. ..

Liked the pillows

Cleanliness and hospitality

Cleanliness and hospitality

Centrally located and was a beautiful night for a walk back from the Bradley Center
    • One-Bedroom Double Suite - Non-Smoking

Glad we chose to stay here, even if it was just one night. Would definitely come back to explore the area again!

Availability to check in early, breakfast included
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

View of wall from room, but for this stay was not an issue

Availability to check in early, breakfast included

the room was spacious and clean
    • Double Suite with Spa Bath

more breakfast options

the room was spacious and clean

Good place to relax
    • Executive Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Noisy heater and no microwave in the room.

Great location,very clean place.

Phil in the breakfast room was exceptional!
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Because of the age and retro fit of the building, some of the room configurations were weird.

Phil in the breakfast room was exceptional!

Staff is Geary nice

Seamles

Price

Price

clean safe great area
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

the pool water looked like it needed to be fresh

clean safe great area

It was a great long weekend getaway

Close to the wedding venue we went to.

Location, room layout

Wall heater made obnoxious noises periodically throughout night. Pool didn’t look clean- foggy water.

Location, room layout

Perfect
    • One Bedroom King Suite

The kids in the pool area were unsupervised and very rough. Pushing each other running around the pool.

The bed was so comfortable!

Dated furniture taking up too much space in room .

Dated furniture taking up too much space in room . Sheets in pullout couch weren't clean . The room wasn't vacuumed

Great breakfast,great staff
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The bed and pillows were not very comfortable.

Great location, nice staff. They had a very good complimentary breakfast.