Reviews of Hampton Inn & Suites Montgomery-Downtown 3 stars

100 Commerce Street, Montgomery, AL 36104, USA

#10 of 48 hotels in Montgomery

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Our sink was cracked and leaked, but I am sure it will be replaced soon.

Best was the staff. Nate (I hope I get the names right) at the desk was patient and very helpful with directions. When my wife could not find the Coliseum (after a few tries), Nate went with her to pick me up at the tractor show. They were kind, patient and very helpful.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We had reservations for 3 people and 2 queens our first room was a king we changed. Second room was already occupied we had key and went in surprise third room was nice finally

Except for mix up of rooms everyone and everything was extra nice

Toilet paper could not be reached from the toilet by ordinary sized adult. Wherever my car was parked, it was obviously in full sun the whole time. The interior was unbearable hot. I had assumed it would be in a parking garage.

I like that Hampton is renovating old hotels in cities' downtown districts. The last three (Montgomery, Birmingham, and Chicago) were a great blend of the old and new. Just sorry I didn't stay in the one in Indianapolis when I was last there overnight.

Waiting for the car to be parked (a function of the "convenient" location in the town centre) and the use of paper plates and plastic cutlery at breakfast (common in the USA but practically unknown in Europe).

A comfortable property with friendly staff in a central location.

We cancelled and were assured we would not be charged. It would've been excellent if not for the A/C not working on an extremely hot day. it was intolerable. It ruined our 25th Anniversary stay. Also the cable tv kept going out and the room was not ready on time and we had to move to another room instead. Not happy.

Beautiful facility and great location. Staff was very helpful late night especially.

• Non-Smoking Double Studio with Sofa Bed

There were only two towels, no face or hand towels, and that left us with the feeling that housekeeping had not finished with the room. We were quickly accommodated when we asked for more.

The room was nice, roomy and clean. My son and I were visiting Montgomery to see a concert at the MPAC and the hotel is just across the street...PERFECT.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We had a room on the top floor, so the view was great and there was no street noise. I will add that Montgomery is not a very active town on a Tuesday night. The hotel was very nice - well-maintained, clean with friendly desk and valet parking people.

• King Studio with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The wardrobe door was broken, it had a shower curtain that no good hotel should have and the ice maker was noisy.

Perfect central location, exactly as described, comfortable and with character. It was a welcome change and I liked it.

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Our room was at the rear, right above several aircon units, basically no view. Disappointing since we had booked many months earlier. But we slept well enough. Breakfast was rather basic and eaten with plastic cutlery off paper plates.

Well positioned, easy to find and plenty of parking nearby. Very lively Italian restaurant very close by was handy. Staff very welcoming and helpful.

My wife would have enjoyed a bath tub.

The hotel was centrally-located which allowed us to wander around. The staff were all very attentive and polite; southern hospitality was wonderful! Very good breakfast selections allowed us to start our days feeling good.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Information on parking could be a bit more comprehensive as there are different parking options (street, lot, garage) i.s.o. valet parking only.

Location is great, same as the building, which is some sort of a landmark. Stylish breakfast area and lobby.

Only down fall was that it didn’t have a microwave and mini fridge in the Deluxe King Suit. And having to go outside to smoke.

It’s was in a great location surrounded by bars and Museums n great fun and events love it

Unfortunately, they were completing a major carpet cleaning effort and the room carpeting was damp. I brought this to the attention of the front desk and was moved to another room, but only slightly damp. Dried by the next day. This has no direct bearing on the hotel, but I was very surprised there wasn't more to do in the downtown area. There were a few restaurants, but that was about it. Nightlife at this time of the year was pretty much nonexistent.

Hampton always meets my expectations. I choose them as often as I can.

I appreciate historic preservation and also enjoy smaller, unique hotels, so this one was a hit. The location in the warehouse district provided easy access to bars and restaurants, yet our room was remarkably quiet.

• King Studio with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The property had NO cold water. None. My pregnant wofe could not shower because ALL water (even toilet) was scolding hot. After addressing it with staff, they shrugged it off and said they couldn't do anything. They also held a SECOND amount for incidentals, in addition to the one at check-in, without informing me. Again, staff shrugged it off. Nice place, but I won't be back.

Mostly friendly staff and a great locstion, in the heart of downtown. Large, comfortable rooms!

The parking set up was awful. The Valet area was so small I had to circle the block to prevent my vehicle from getting rear ended. No self parking unless you luck up and found a spot on the street. Unfortunately, I didn't want to walk a couple of blocks with my luggage downtown alone.

The staff had great customer service.

This is a centrally located, well-appointed hotel, with very friendly and helpful staff. The accommodation is tastefully decorated, yet practical and comfortable. We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast and would recommend this hotel highly to prospective travellers.

Nothing wrong with the hotel, but the train station in the area was terrible, they blew their horn all night and for a long time each time, at first we thought it was a big ship (that's what it sounded like) but when we woke up and looked out the window we realized it was a train. Again, nothing the hotel could do about it but it was annoying and interrupted our sleep a few times.

All the staff were so nice and friendly! Free breakfast had a great selection, very impressed. Room was nice, bed was comfortable. Great value for money. There's valet parking, street parking and paid parking across the road, so loads of selection.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Biggest complaint was that the shower curtain was missing. I'm sure they would have brought one, but we didn't want to wait. Also, no fan in the bathroom so it got a little steamy. Also, we weren't charged the rate quoted by Booking.com. The desk clerk corrected it without problem, so no big deal, but something to watch out for when you visit.

Great location in Montgomery, restaurants, bars, attractions all within easy walking distance. We had no idea that downtown Montgomery had such a wonderful renaissance. Would do it again sometime. Also, valet parking was available for a nominal charge, but we choose to park on the street which was free for the weekend and seemingly safe.

There was no signal for the tv, so hubby couldn't relax and unwind after a very long drive. The room was old fashioned and furniture threadbare - in need of refurbishment. The extractor fan in the bathroom didn't work, so couldn't see a thing after a shower and made the floor very slippery. I think it's wrong to charge an extra $12 for parking.

The location of the property was excellent. The bed was large and comfy. The staff were lovely and very helpful.

• King Studio with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Air conditioning did not work, the room was uncomfortable. The valet parking workers where very polite and very friendly.good service getting your car when needed.

• King Studio with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Upon check in, I was given the wrong room number and disturbed the occupant by trying to get inside. The other issue I had was that the microwave didn't work. Had to use the one in the breakfast area.

The staff was great. Very helpful even when things didn't start off smoothly. Made certain my stay was as peaceful as it could be.

• Non-Smoking Double Studio with Sofa Bed

Having to sign into the wifi everyday was annoying. Also, having simpler egg choices for breakfast that didn't include meat-possibly hard boiled eggs also.

Nice large, clean rooms

Couple of overhead lights didn't work in room. Needed a couple more pillows for king bed (which were provided). Iron was damaged (reported to front desk). A little more attention needed to cleaning & straightening up in common areas - not huge issue but those little touches would really make Hampton Inn "top notch". Most of the staff were friendly and helpful. Lady in breakfast room worked her tail off. She replenished the food frequently & kept the area clean. Good employee.

Breakfast was good. Room/bathroom was clean. Bed was awesome - really comfortable.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

AC blower not working. Staff told me to reset and it still didn't work. Bed hard as a rock. Toilet paper holder fell off and no cups in room. Very disappointing. I always love the Hampton but this one did not make the grade

Friendly staff and surrounding restaurants in walking distance.

We got married downtown and though we live in the area, we wanted a place to get ready for the big day at. The location is fantastic if you're visiting the area, I highly recommend staying here it's affordable and withing walking distance to all the fun spots! The staff is great, the rooms have cool views and everything was great.

Only complaint I have is that at 10:15am a housekeeper busted into my room even though check out is 11-12 , no knock no anything luckily I had the latch on, I told front desk and didn't seem to care too much. Other than that it was a great hotel

The room was amazing so we're the bathrooms

• King Studio with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Extremely loud outside noise till 2:30am. no sleep, I was on 3rd floor and it sounded like I was actually inside the bar next door. I could hear the screaming conversations, motorcycles racing on the street, everything..just awful. Room needed some TLC too. Bathroom door was hanging off hinge so it wouldn't close. Couch was very lumpy, very small and uncomfortable to sit on to watch TV. They triple charged my debit card but that was easily fixed that when I called my bank and they blocked their extra charges.

Breakfast was ok, nothing spectacular.

staff was unable to locate reservation upon arrival

very comfortable. Valet was exceptional, very helpful. offered to give directions upon each departure.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Location and lack of life.

The hotel and room were ok, however the downtown area was very devoid of life and nothing seemed to be open, including museums.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

We enjoyed the room and it was very peaceful due to that we were up on the 9th floor. The bed was real comfortable and the both of us slept like babies lol. Breakfast was good but there wasn't enough room to sit in the eating area so we had to relocate to the conference room to eat. Overall we enjoyed our stay and will be back again.

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

Nothing -

I loved the actual hotel - it was a gorgeous historic hotel with the usual wonderful Hampton inn white bedding. The room was very big,the bathroom was very beautiful and updated. I wished id stayed a second day! The location was perfect- on a corner in the heart of everything. The staff was friendly and very helful- very sincere. (Emanuel and Nate)

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

• Non-Smoking Double Studio with Sofa Bed

1 of the male managers wasn't professional. He didn't have a name tag on. I didn't like the way he address me about parking...He asked for my keys to my car. I didn't know if he was a guest or a stranger. Also they charged my card twice.

The room was really nice

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Jason met us door with smile every time we came and went. good advise on food and directions. LeQuenna(SP) was great at the front counter. when first room was looking at a wall, she got us a great room. Great attitude

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

Pillows were horrible--all 4 of them. Floor in breakfast area very sticky

Very friendly and courteous staff. The valet parking was very convenient and punctual. Room was very clean and very quiet.

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Great location near the river walk and restaurants/bars - Central has good ale and food. Good choice at breakfast. A short walk to Rosa Parks Museum.

• Reviewed: 14 December 2016

Could have used better pillows as they were thin and small. Only valet parking unless you can find a metered parking space on the street. We booked through Booking.com and had the printout showing Free parking and a refrigerator in the King room. We were told upon arrival that parking was $12 a day and only the suites had refrigerators. Since we had the written confirmation from Booking.com showing something different, the manager agreed to not charge us for valet parking and they upgraded us to a suite at no additional charge. Then Booking.com emailed us twice telling us we had to pay for parking and could not have a fridge in the King room. I told them the hotel had agreed to the terms of the contract and Booking.com finally said if the hotel charged us more, they would refund us the difference. So be wary of Booking.com as they wanted to get out of the price they had quoted us.

Perfect downtown location with 7-8 good restaurants within one block. Very tasty and extensive breakfast. Spacious, nicely decorated suite.

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

• Non-Smoking Double Studio with Sofa Bed

They charged is 25 on top of the room. We were told Valet was only 12 dollars, then got charged over double. The pull out sofa bed had red stains on it. Was pretty gross. Rest of room was nice though and hotel was historic but otherwise clean.

Got a 1pm checkout bc of arriving very late. (3am) They had Valet service

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Staff unprofessionally dressed for the job.(football jerseys at the front desk) Room A/C was left off before arrival and we entered a 80 degree room. Took hours to actually cool it enough to be comfortable. Hot water was questionable as the dial in the shower wasn't installed properly. I've stayed here before and enjoyed it, but this was not a pleasant experience.

Close to downtown activities.

A band was playing such loud music (could feel base vibrations) until 11:00. Breakfast: Omelets that were spicy (not everyone likes or can handle spicy food). Other Hampton Inns have plain eggs (scrambled or omelettes. Toilet kept my wife up. After many tries, I got it to stop running. Sink's cold water was warm.

Employees were great. Room was fine. Breakfast was fair but not great when compared to other Hampton Inn's.

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

• King Studio with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

I was unsatified with my room. I booked a King Non-smoking and was given a Double Quenn Smoking! They wee sold out and could not give me another room. I have Asthma so this was very upsetting. The hotel staff did bring in an Ozone machine while I was at dinner and this helped

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

• King Room - Smoking

The showers!!!! Impossible to figure out!!!! We loved our room but the shower fixtures need a serious update.

The staff and location were terrific - particularly the valet workers. There was also a lovely man at the front desk and I wish I remembered his name!

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

I booked this room on your site and the room I was given didn't match the description from Booking.com. What I booked said that there was a refrigerator in the room, there wasn't one. I contacted the desk and they corrected this.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The front desk clerk on our arrival was RUDE. She told me there were no parking places and I would have to pay 10.00 for valet parking yet on the website it clearly says free parking. She wouldn't even talk about it. Also there was a strong odor of bleach in the hotel.

The beds were nice.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

Friendly and helpful staff. Despite I booked a room with one bed by mistake, the receptionist offered to move to a two-bed room at no extra charge. Parking place is good.

• Non-Smoking Double Studio with Sofa Bed

We had to switch rooms the air wasn't working in the first one and barley worked in the second the staff is lazy they were watching TV and everything on the breakfast bar was out we asked them to refill it and got attitude and talked about

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The Parking details and availability should have been explained or detailed during booking. Although I parked directly in the back of the building my first night and was able to enter the back door with my key. The area was dark and I would not want my wife especially with children parking in such a dimly lit area alone due to safety risk. The second night I parked on the street slightly down from the hotel. Luckily the Bars next door wasn't crowded due to the opening night of College Football (ROLL TIDE) It would have been Great to know prior to arrival on where the recommended parking is for hotel guest.

Although I personally did not get a chance to indulge in the complimentary breakfast, I did glance at the plates of those that was eating and it looked Great. I specifically noticed the Peaches that was the size of Softballs and the Waffles looked very fluffy. The Hotel was very quiet. The Room itself was Very Clean and filled with quality necessities unlike the standard generic soaps and haircare products. 2 Neutrogena Soap Bars, Neutrogena lotion, shampoo and conditioner and you was given the option to request more free of charge. The beds were very comfortable. The towels were WHITE and thick not dingy and thin. The front of the hotel including the lobby was NOT littered with stragglers or people that was not staying in the hotel. The staff was very professional and attendant. I would reccomend The Hampton Inn without hesitation. I definitely enjoyed staying at the hotel and could not wait to arrive back to the room at the conclusion of the day. From my home in Indianapolis the Capitol of Auto Racing INDY 500 to Downtown Montgomery Alabama "Job Well Done" !!!! BEAR DOWN CHICAGO BEARS !!!! and ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!! Clinton G.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2016

got a smoking room that smelled terrible no a/c in the lobby and breakfast area! staff was not friendly at all no parking in the hotel (you can choose valet and they will park the car in a parking close by but you have to pay for it)

good location

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

The staff was rude. I was charged more than my booking.com reservation said. We were with a larger group and apparently some young people were destructive but my group was mostly adults and none of our party were out of line but they were still very rude to us. Manager is the worst.

The location was nice downtown.

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

Love the location.I think this is a beautiful facility. We have stayed here before and loved it! Everything very clean and beds so comfortable.Always stay in Hampton's whenever possible!

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We arrived to the hotel very late and the overnight staff was not exactly professional or accommodating. But they were still nice enough to make me comfortable. The room we got had a broken mirror, and if our daughter had been crawling yet, I would've worried she would cut herself on it. Also, if you stay with a small child that isn't sleeping in a bed yet, bring your own pack and play because they don't have any bassinet for you. We had our own, but it broke while putting it up, so we had to co-sleep, which wasn't as relaxing as it could've been if they would have had a bassinet for us to use.

I'm a very picky person when it comes to hotels. Even if it's just a quick stay during a road trip to refresh and get back on the road, it has to be the perfect place to stay. I was extremely happy with this hotel and room. The bed was so soft, the room temperature was perfect, and the layout of the room felt like we were staying in a little apartment instead of a hotel, so it felt almost like a home. I could tell all the linens had been freshly washed and stocked, and the bathroom was very clean. The breakfast was amazing also, I only had a waffle and an omelet, but the eggs were fluffy and fresh and the waffle was one of the best I've ever had. I would definitely stay again during my future road trips, and I do plan to.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Booking.com booked the wrong room than the one I selected and it was a smoking and I wanted non-smoking, king, I wanted two beds, will not be using booking.com again!!

Everything was great !

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

No AC in our room - but they finally moved us to a larger room with AC. No onsite free parking as listed on the booking.com site. They said they would credit the daily parking fee but did not. The housekeepers were very unhappy about a big group that had been there and were quite vocal expressing their displeasure in the halls and elevators.

Nice location downtown and near the Riverwalk and the Alley restaurants. Beautiful Lobby, nice breakfast and friendly front office staff.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

The individual who checked us in was extremely rude and made us feel very unwelcome. I won't be going back to this hotel for that very reason. Whatever happened to a smile and basic courtesy.

The room and hotel lobby area were very clean and well maintained.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

• Non-Smoking Double Studio with Sofa Bed

I booked a non smoking double suite room and received a smoking double room at the same price. I was not happy with the situation and was told it was due to booking through a third party.

Good breakfast and staff.

• Reviewed: 29 June 2016

I did not like one of the staff members turning off the lights on us at 10 during breakfast.Some of us were just talking and the lady just turned off the lights. It seemed pushy! People at the front desk (like Fred) didn't speak or give any additional help (leaving or entering).

I really enjoyed the breakfast, location, and the quietness of the facility. It's in a perfect location to enjoy the downtown area. Nathaniel was really nice! He's at the front desk!

• Reviewed: 22 June 2016

Everything was wonderful! No complaints!!!

The facility had a really nice historic charm to it. The staff was wonderful! They made sure that our needs were met immediately. The room was very clean. I loved the 3 large windows that allowed us to view the sights on the nearby streets. The bed was extremely soft and so comfortable after a long day of workshops and lots of walking. Valet parking was awesome and very reasonable! The freshly baked cookies and the variety of flavored waters were an extra treat each day! Overall, we had a really great stay!

No fridge

An ideal stop over, staff really helpful and polite, lovely room, very spacious

Location was great. Breakfast was Also perfect

Having a swimming pool.

It was very friendly.

Can’t think of anything

The room was bigger than I expected. The room and the entire property were clean and welcoming.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

having to pay for parking

breakfast, staff were pleasant

Fabulous food. Great staff that helped in so many ways especially Nate and Christine and Kyle

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The valets were Awesome!!!!

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Gym was a little on small side and got pretty hot

Great central location. Bed really comfortable. Staff very helpful. Valet parking great.

. N/A

Location was excellent and convenient

Nothing...

Centrally located to our events

Parking

N/a

Bacon

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Everything was great friendly staff great location clean nice facility

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Wonderful stay. Close to all the places we wanted to go. Staff very friendly and helpful.

Your price Booking .com was higher then the actual hotel rate

Centrally located to all museums the Riverwalk and the capital great location!

Nate at the front desk was especially helpful. The hotel is beautiful and clean.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Parking was an issue and it was not clear

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I loved the fact it's located in the heart of downtown...

Browse Hampton Inn & Suites Montgomery-Downtown traveller photo gallery